Anya glanced up at Xander before smiling at him and going back to her book. This was exactly what we need she thought as she read the spell to herself. "Well, you want Buffy to see Spike for who he really is, right?" Anya asked smiling brightly.



"Yeah."



"Well, then we'll show her," she grinned as she stared at the book in her lap. "I remembered seeing it in here during one of our research parties. It brings out a person's true nature. If Buffy were to see what Spike was really like, then our problem would be solved."



Xander's lips slowly curled into a smile before a small chuckle escaped him as Anya found the page she was looking for. She read off the list of things they would need to perform the spell and he was getting excited just thinking about it. When her smile disappeared, so did his. "What's with the look?"



"It can only be done on the night of the full moon."



"What?" Xander asked sullenly. "That's a week away."



"I know," Anya told him. "Well, at least it'll give us time to prepare everything so we don't have any problems."



Xander sighed heavily before his shoulders slumped. He had hoped to find an end to his problem and solve it tonight. Now he'd have to wait another week. "I guess we have no choice."




~*~






Buffy stretched her arms over her head and smiled as the weight holding her down prevented a full range of motion. Her eyes opened and a smile lit up her face as she saw Spike. His head was resting on her shoulder and he had one arm wrapped around her waist. She leaned her head to the side in order to see his face. He looked peaceful when he slept and Buffy couldn't resist touching him.



Her fingers ghosted across the sharp plans of his face and her smile was still present. Their earlier fun caused a sigh to escape her as the memory came back to her. She had been worried that he wouldn't understand her not wanting to let things go too far but she was pleasantly surprised when he had just smiled and said that being with her was enough. They had talked and shared soft, sweet kisses that were followed by passion-filled ones. He literally took her breath away. How could someone who prided himself on being evil be so tender and caring? What Spike showed the outside world wasn't even close to what he showed her. He was loving and attentive and with every passing day she wanted to share her newfound happiness with her friends but knew she would never be able to.



"It's getting late."



"I know," Buffy said quietly.



"Anyone know you're here?" Spike asked as he opened his eyes.



"Dawn does."



Spike lifted his head and propped himself up on his elbow before leaning down and placing a brief kiss on Buffy's lips. "She know what's going on between us?"



"Yeah," Buffy smiled. "She's already given me her approval," she chuckled.



"That right?" Spike grinned. "Well, the Bit always was a smart girl."



Buffy laughed before sitting up. "Yeah well, she may be smart but she knows me well enough to know that patrol doesn't take this long."



"Well, maybe she's smart enough to figure out you wouldn't be patrolling tonight once you found me," Spike grinned as he reached out with his right hand and fingered the collar of Buffy's blouse.



"My point exactly," she chuckled as she swatted his hand away when his fingers slid down inside the front of her shirt.



Spike smiled and watched her get up from the bed and start around it before he rolled over and sat up. He winked at her before standing up and grabbing his jeans.



"Oh my God!" Buffy squealed before she quickly turned in the opposite direction Spike was standing. Holy shit, you just saw Spike naked she screamed to herself. His laughter made her cheeks burn before a smile covered her face. "That was totally unfair."



"So, you don't like me naked?" Spike asked as he slipped his jeans on.



"Didn't say that," Buffy whispered out.



Spike chuckled again and Buffy heard the zipper of his pants being pulled up before she turned her head to the side slightly. She could see him out of the corner of her eye and the smile on his face had her shaking her head before she turned around to face him. "You really are evil," she said with a smile before taking a few steps toward him.



"Never claimed to be anything but," Spike said as he picked up his shirt.



"You know your payback for that little stunt will be painful, right?" She grinned.



"Hurt me good," Spike whispered before reaching out and grabbing her around the waist and pulling her to him.



Buffy laughed as his head lowered to her neck and small, blunt teeth bites caused chills to shoot up her spine. Her hands roamed over his bare flesh and the small growl that came from him caused her smile to increase. "So, you want to walk me home?"



"Rather you stayed right here," Spike mumbled against her neck as he covered her flesh with small kisses.



"Me too," Buffy said softly as her eyes fell shut. "But you know I can't."



"I know," Spike told her as he kissed his way across her jaw and finally to her mouth.



Buffy sighed into the kiss and her hold on him tightened as he nibbled on her lip. Why did something that seemed so perfect have to be so difficult? What would it take for her friends to see Spike the way she did?





~*~






Anya sighed heavily as Xander practically bounced off the walls. He had been almost unbearable to live with the past week and now that the time to perform the spell was finally here, he was even more hyper than before. She rolled her eyes as he bounced around the living room, whistling a tune while he lit the candles. Just the fact that he was so happy about this made her doubt her skills. What if she failed? What if the only thing she accomplished was a fancy light show and some smoke? Setting the last of the herbs she needed to the side, Anya stepped inside the circle they had drawn and sat down. "Okay, you remember what you have to do, right?"



"Yep. Don't worry about a thing," Xander grinned.



"Good," Anya told him as she took a deep breath and sat the spell book down on her lap. Closing her eyes, Anya took several deep breaths, trying to clear her mind. The small ticking sound to her left caused her eyes to open and she turned her head in Xander's direction. "Cut it out," she scolded as she saw him flicking the lighter he had used to illuminate the candles. "I need it completely quiet in here, okay?"



"Sorry," Xander smiled sheepishly. "So, how long will this take again?"



Anya sighed for what seemed like the hundredth time that night before shaking her head. "Not long. Now just stand over there, light the herbs like I told you and be quiet. Can you do that?"



"Yeah," Xander grinned. "Completely quiet now."



Anya watched him for a few seconds before she shook her head and tried to clear her thoughts. She lit the candle in front of her before she softly started whispering the chant for the spell.



Xander's smile only widened as he watched his girlfriend perform the spell that would change his life. He bounced slightly on his feet as he lit the herbs he held and waved them, sending the smoke through the room as Anya had directed him to do. He knew this spell would work. He could feel it. His only doubt was that it would take longer than he would like for it to. He wanted Buffy to see what Spike was really like and get over her obvious deluded infatuation with him. As Anya's voice became louder, Xander's smile was still present while he thought of what Spike would think when Buffy didn't want anything to do with him anymore. Like I care he chuckled to himself. "He deserves to be treated like the monster he is," he said softly.



Anya's eyes opened when a mystical force rushed through her body and she was thrown backwards. Her head felt like it was going to split open as it hit the floor and she gasped for air as she tried to open her eyes. Softly spoken words she had heard seemed to penetrate her entire body before a bright flash of light lit up the entire room. As the dizzy feelings started to overcome her, Anya heard Xander's voice before everything went completely black.





~*~






"Duck!"



Buffy hit the ground with a roll before springing to her feet and facing the large, red-horned demon she and Spike had come across. The eight-foot demon looked like a stone statue as their attack on him barely even penetrated his skin. Seeing Spike swing his axe, Buffy ran toward the demon as Spike's axe made contact with the side of the creature's neck.



The loud, howling growl the beast let out pierced Buffy's ears and she covered them to block out the noise before she saw the creature lift one clawed hand and swing at Spike. The blow struck him hard, sending him flying backwards to crash into a grave marker and the sound of his voice laced with pain caused her temper to flair. Watching the crumbling stone topple around Spike caused Buffy's heart rate to accelerate before she yelled and attacked. Blows and kicks she didn't even know she had in her after their half hour fight with the creature caused the demon to stagger before a final kick brought it down. Picking up the axe Spike had dropped, Buffy swung it high over her head before bringing it down. The sound of wet flesh and gurgled noises caused a satisfied smile to cover Buffy's face as the creature's head rolled a few feet away. Buffy dropped the axe and ran to Spike's side.



"Hey, you okay?" She asked dropping to her knees beside him as he lay on his side, heaving in large amounts of air. "Spike?"



Spike looked up at her with wide eyes as she grabbed him and pulled him to a sitting position. The fear in her eyes matched his own and he barely even realized she was talking to him as she shook him slightly. He gasped and closed his eyes briefly before the warmth of her hand on his face caused him to open them back up. "Something's wrong," he whispered out.



"What?" Buffy asked worriedly as she looked him over for injuries. "Where are you hurt?"



"Not hurt exactly."



Buffy looked at him with wide, frightened eyes as he continued to breathe heavily before he shook his head and looked up at her. His eyes were wide and the longer he stared at her the more worried she became. "Spike, you're scaring me. What's wrong?"



"I think," Spike started to speak, but stopped for a second before swallowing hard and looking up at her. "Buffy, my heart is beating."