Chapter 26



Fred looked uncomfortable; she was fidgeting even more and paling by the minute.

"What do you mean this might be my lucky night?"

"You know Jonathan don't you?

"Y-Yes. Who are you really?" Fred narrowed her eyes.

"An old friend who has a vested interest in his future."

"How old?"

"High school."

"I think he's mentioned you before," Fred murmured, "The name sounds familiar."

Buffy smiled brightly, "Really?"

Fred nodded, ducking her head. "He's getting married tomorrow."

"Yeah, unfortunately," Buffy said dryly.

Fred's head snapped up. "You're not happy about it."

"Very observant of you. No, I'm not."

"Do you know the bride?"

"I'm related to her."

Fred's mouth opened to a wide ‘O'.

"I hate her, so you don't need to worry about that."

Fred looked disoriented, "Oh."

"How do you know Jonathan?" Buffy asked, forging ahead.

"I work with him."

Buffy was getting excited. "You do? Really?"

Fred nodded and blushed. "He's amazing." Her eyes widened, appearing like a deer
caught in the headlights. "I-I mean that he's got an amazing mind. I – I don't mean—"
"Fred. Relax. I'm glad that you like Jonathan," she said calmly, placing a comforting
hand on the girl.

"You are?" Fred squeaked her surprise.

Buffy nodded. "I like him too. He does have an amazing mind and he's always been the kindest person I've ever known. I also think within minutes of having met you that you are the second kindest person I've ever met. So you know what I'd like to see?"

Fred shook her head, nervous.

"I'd like to see the two kindest people I know get together."

Fred shook her head, "I-I can't. He-he's getting married tomorrow and he doesn't know how I feel—"

"And how do you feel?" Buffy pressed, knowing Fred hadn't meant to let that slip out by the look on her face after she'd said. Now she looked as if she were the deer about to be trampled by the car.

"He was the only one that paid any attention to me when I moved here. He even showed me around," the way Fred was gushing about Jonathan, Buffy didn't think she'd have to do too much work to get the girl to do something about it. Or, at least, she hoped not.

"So you get along well then. Good friends?"

Fred smiled brightly. "He's so nice to me. He doesn't treat me like I'm some kind of
freak working with a bunch of guys doing all this scientific stuff. He treats me like an equal and yet, sometimes I think . . . "

"Finish that thought, please. I want to know," Buffy leaned forward, giving Fred her full attention.

"He treats me like a princess."

Buffy smiled broadly. "Doesn't the Prince deserve to know how the Princess feels?"

"But—"

"Does he ever talk about her?"

"Not really. At first he did, but the closer it gets to the wedding, the more closed off he's become. The only times he smiles is when we take our afternoon walks together at our lunch breaks."

"Oh, Fred, you have to tell him."

Fred looked about ready to cry.

"I think she's using him," Buffy blurted out.

"Why? Why would she do something like that?" Fred seemed outraged at the thought.

"He ever mention his fiancé opening a hair salon in town?"

Fred pointed her finger at Buffy, eyes wild with excitement. "As a matter of fact, yes! He had to leave work early a few times to check the place out and sign some papers."

"So, it's in his name then. . . interesting. Harmony is as dumb as I thought."

"He could just be a co-signer," Fred pointed out.

"Yeah, I'm betting Harmony has no intention of ever paying for any of that on her own anyway."

"Have you spoken with him about your assumptions?"

Buffy shook her head slowly, her nose wrinkled. "I'm afraid I haven't had the chance. With everything going on, I just haven't been able to get him alone."

"Then why aren't you over there talking to him now?"

Buffy smiled, "because you're here. Seeing his good friend Fred that he treats like a Princess would probably be better for him than me reminding him that he's marrying the money grubbing freak tomorrow."


"How can you know I'm better for him than she is?"

"Well, I say we venture on over and I'll see for myself. What do you say?"


"I don't know what to do . . . or say," Fred murmured looking down.


"That's easy. Just follow my lead. Let's grab our drinks – as soon as I order mine-- and head on over to the lonely boy over there. I think he'd like to see his good friend Fred, don't you?"

"I don't know about this."

"Trust me. You said you'd do anything to help out a friend. What about someone you
love?"

Fred took a deep breath and slid down from her stool. "Okay. Let's go."
"Atta girl!" Buffy slid down off her stool. " I just need to order my drink."

"Don't worry about it. You order and I'll go over and see him. You can join us after."

Buffy smiled and hugged Fred. "You're an angel. It's fate Fred. It's fate that brought you
here him here tonight."

"I haven't done anything yet," Fred giggled nervously.

"I have a good feeling."

"Thank you Buffy."

"I haven't done anything," Buffy teased.

"Yes, you have," Fred said seriously and walked away towards Jonathan.

"What'll it be Miss?" the bartender asked.

"Shirley Temple, please," Buffy said proudly.

He looked at her funny.

"What?" she asked indignantly.

He shook his head. "Nothin' at all."

"You know you shouldn't pass judgment just because I want a Shirley Temple. How do you know I don't have a drinking problem? Or I'm preg—"

"What are you getting brassed off about now?" Spike was there suddenly behind her, hands on her waist, seeming to mold himself against her. Her breath caught from the sensation of that coupled with his hot breath on her necks. Goose bumps formed on her body. What he could do to her. . .

It was difficult to form a coherent thought with him nuzzling her neck. How in the world had she missed this before? He was always like this when he was drunk and it was always directed at her! And how had she been blind to the affect he had on her senses and her body. She felt the all too familiar stirring between her legs and when his hand slid across her belly and his tongue made contact with her neck, her panties, she knew, were getting drenched.

"Hmmm?" Spike hummed, taking her earlobe in his mouth and gently biting it.

The bartender watched on with amusement.

"Shirley Temple, please," she managed to croak.

A soft tune started to play and Spike started to sway her along with the music. "Dance with me, baby?"

"Yah huh," she managed, all thoughts of Jonathan and Fred fleeing her mind. She was beginning to realize that Spike had the uncanny ability to distract her from everything. Well, it wasn't that much of a change. She remembered plenty of times when they'd get so wrapped up in what they were doing or talking about, the world and its inhabitants seemed to fall away until it was just them.

"I'll hold the drink for you," the bartender smirked.

Buffy glared at him and allowed Spike to lead her off to the dance floor where he wrapped her up in his arms and they began to sway to the music.

You're mine and we belong together
Yes, we belong together, for eternity

Buffy smiled to herself at the words and snuggled up closer to Spike. She wondered if Lorne had a hand in this one. Her gaze traveled to find the man, and when she saw him grinning at her, she knew he did.

You're mine, your lips belong to me
Yes, they belong to only me, for eternity

Leaning up, Buffy pressed a kiss to Spike's lips. "Mine," she smiled almost shyly at him.
He grinned, and his expression changed to one of awe. "Yours."


You're mine, my baby and you'll always be
I swear by everything I own
You'll always, always be mine

Resting her head against Spike's strong chest she closed her eyes for a second and when she opened them she saw Fred and Jonathan making their way to the dance floor, holding hands. Buffy smiled broadly. Looked like things were starting to fall into place all over.

You're mine and, we belong together
Yes, we belong together, for eternity

"Muffin," Lorne bustled over as the last strands of the song played, "hate to break up the love, but I need to steal your man for a minute," Buffy looked up at Spike questioningly and Spike grinned at her.

"What are you going to do?" she asked, or rather, demanded.

"Me?" he said innocently. He pecked her nose. "Nothing."

"Ah! What a face!" Lorne exclaimed pinching Spike's cheek. "Come on loverboy."
Buffy watched them walk away wondering what the hell they were up to when Angel came up to her. "Is Jonathan aware that's not Harmony?"

Buffy giggled. "Yes, thank god."

Angel's eyebrows rose, "What ELSE are you not telling me?"

"Come on big brother, got more to fill you in on," Buffy giggled and linked her arm through his, leading him off to an empty table.

She had just gotten to the part about Fred going over to see Jonathan when she heard Spike's voice booming across the club. "I'd like to dedicate this song to my girl Buffy. She likes it when I make a fool out of myself for her and I want to let her know exactly how she makes me feel. Buffy, baby, this is for you."

Oh God, what was he going to sing? Her eyes widened as the music started. Her jaw dropped. No. He wasn't! She sat riveted to the stage and saw him up on stage, mic in hand strutting around like a peacock. Angel burst out laughing.


I made it through the wilderness
Somehow I made it through
Didn't know how lost I was
Until I found you

He stopped and pointed directly at her. She slapped a hand over her mouth, stifling a laugh.

I was beat incomplete

With that he put his hand over his forehead in a thoroughly dramatic manner.

I'd been had, I was sad and blue
But you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
Shiny and new
Like a virgin

At that, Buffy snorted.

Touched for the very first time
Like a virgin
When your heart beats
Next to mine

He put his hand over his chest and thumped it. Buffy was mesmerized, her laughter stuck in her throat.

Gonna give you all my love, girl
Good job changing the words, Buffy thought gleefully.

My fear is fading fast
Been saving it all for you
'Cause only love can last

He was bouncing around onstage, swaying his hips a bit to the beat and several people in the audience either had their hands over their mouths like Buffy, were hooting at him or full out laughing like Angel.

You're so fine and you're mine
Make me strong, yeah you make me bold
Oh your love thawed out
Yeah, your love thawed out
What was scared and cold
Like a virgin – hey!

Buffy let out a little giggle as his voice went a few octaves higher.

Touched for the very first time
Like a virgin
With your heartbeat
Next to mine
Oooh, oooh, oooh

He dropped to his knees, belting the tune out for all he was worth.

You're so fine and you're mine
I'll be yours 'till the end of time
'Cause you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
I've nothing to hide
Like a virgin
Touched for the very first time
Like a virgin
With your heartbeat
Next to mine

Now he was writhing on the floor a la vintage Madonna at her first MTV music awards.

Like a virgin, ooh, ooh
Like a virgin
Feels so good inside
When you hold me, and your heart beats, and you love me
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Ooh, baby
Can't you hear my heart beat
For the very first time?
He ended up on his back, head over the stage peering over at her and grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"That is your boyfriend, Buffy," Angel said, laughing so hard he was crying.

"That he is," Buffy said laughing and gazing up at him fondly. Then she started for the stage.

"Now where are you going?" Angel called after her.

"Going to see about deflowering my virgin," Buffy grinned.

"Buffy! I really don't need to know about that!" Angel exclaimed. "God, that's like picturing mom and dad…"



A/N: I just found out tonight that this story was nominated for the Love's Last Glimpse Awards. I know that two people nominated me but I don't know who they are. I just wantt to thank you SO SO SO much. I think I sat and stared at the email for five minutes in shock! It means so much to me, thank you ALL so much for all of your reviews and your kind words--and to Mac for concern about my health lol. Cracked me up!! Again, thank you.

**Songs by Richie Valens and Madonna, respectively. Thank you Angela!!!!