Chapter 24



Buffy walked around the block for a while, sobbing. What kind of pregnant woman goes around smacking people like that? What if Harmony had gotten to her and those girls hadn’t stopped her? What if she had punched her in the stomach? Every time she thought about it, she started all over again. She was a horrible mother. Her baby had no father, and was probably going to hate her once she found out how she was conceived, her fiancé was a lie and Harmony had just played on all of her weaknesses. Worst of all, when Buffy had to call and tell her family that her and Spike had ended their engagement, Harmony would get off on that. She could see her smug pointy face now. She was a horrible mother and she’d made a mess out of everything. No wonder she was such a work-a-holic and hid behind her career. It was the only thing she could get right!

She wanted to see Spike and yet, she didn’t. She didn’t want to check on him because Harmony had frightened her. Course, she was already letting her own doubts and insecurities take over. Harmony had just affirmed them to her. Stupid bitch. Or, not so stupid actually. The girl knew just where to hit. No wonder she’d been so good at archery in high school.

Sighing, Buffy climbed in Spike’s DeSoto and went to the club. She’d just pop in and pop out. Just allay her fears by seeing with her own two eyes what was going on and then take off.

Once she’d arrived she sat in the car unable to make up her mind if she should go in or not. She needed someone to talk to. Someone to confide in. Someone other than Spike. Someone she could trust; someone that would be there and be understanding no matter what.

That’s when Angel came out of the club. Was that a sign? She climbed out of the car and watched him as he made his way to his car.

“Angel?” she called out weakly.

He spun in a circle, trying to locate the voice. His eyes fell on her and he broke out in a grin. “Asswipe! Come to check up on us?”

Buffy burst into tears at that. Angel was there in a heartbeat, wrapping his arms around her. “Ssshhh…Buffy what is it? What’s wrong?”

“I smacked Harmony across the face!” she wailed against Angel’s chest.

“Buffy, honey . . . calm down. Sshh… Come here, let’s get in my car and talk okay?”

She nodded and allowed him to lead her to his car. He opened the door and she slid in. He went to the other side and slid in.

“Buffy, tell me what happened,” he implored gently, handing her some tissues out of the glove compartment.

She told Angel what happened with Harmony in the kitchen and how she was afraid she was a horrible mother.

Angel’s face was grim with anger. “You have nothing to feel guilty about Buffy. She deserved it. Did you tell mom she pushed you?”

“No. I was too stunned by what I’d done.”

“God, I’ve never been able to stand that pain in the ass.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “Really?”

“Why do you think I was always gone?”

“I thought I was the only one.”

“Nope. She tried to get all sisterly with me, but I could never warm up to her. Besides, you’re my sister. Well, and Dawn, but you and I were always closer.”

Buffy gave him a watery smile. “Yeah, we always have been. The only one that agreed with me on the whack jobs we’re related to.”

Angel chuckled. “Got that right. You’re not a bad mother for hitting her Buffy. It’s not like you tackled her. You smacked her, and she deserved it. Besides, she PUSHED you.”

“But what if—“

“Don’t hang yourself up on the ‘what if’s’. You’ll drive yourself crazy.”

Buffy took a deep breath and nodded.

Angel cocked his head to the side. “Why do I feel there’s something you’re not telling me?”

“It’s so creepy when you do that,” Buffy stalled.

“Out with it,” Angel demanded.

Buffy took a deep breath. “Okay, but you can’t say anything until I’m done okay?”
“Why do I have a feeling I’m not going to like this?” Angel sighed.

“Because you won’t.”

“Comforting,” he said dryly.

“Promise?”

Angel nodded turning and giving her his full attention.

“Okay well see, how Spike and I met was all true . . . “ And she spilled everything. The million facial expression passing over Angel’s face, she could tell which parts he didn’t approve of and had to restrain himself from butting in, and she could see his concern for her, his worry and most of all his shock. When she was done, Angel stared at her, jaw dropped.

“Wow.”

“Yeah. That’s all of it.” She poked him in the chest. “And you have to promise not to tell mom and dad! Or anyone!”

“Cordy?”

Buffy smiled, “You can tell Cordy.”

“Buffy, why didn’t you tell me? I’m your big brother; you know I would have been there for you. Frankly, I’m insulted that you didn’t come to me.”

“I just . . . I was afraid and I didn’t really know what I was doing. I didn’t want to disappoint anyone.”

“Since when do you care what anyone thinks of you?”

“Since I became a single mother. All alone. I knew mom and Harmony would have had a field day with that.”

“No. I think you’ve always cared, you just tried not to let it show. I always knew you could bruise easily, I just never realized how easy.”

“Part of the brave face I show the world. I pretend I don’t care so that one day, I really won’t.”

“That’s sad, Buffy. And Spike is right. You shouldn’t hide. You’ll cheat yourself of some really great things by hiding.”

“You like him huh?”

Angel grinned, “I do. I think he’s a real stand up guy Buffy. What was it you said earlier today? He’s the long haul guy. You need someone strong that can stand up to you and see through the bravado. He’s that guy. You were made for each other.”

Buffy welled up in tears. “So I’m pretty dumb huh?”

“For?”

“Coming down here to check up on him. For listening to Harmony. I’m turning into those women that have to check up on their boyfriends and husbands. Next I’ll be rummaging through his pockets and mail and going through the messages on his cell phone and answering machine.”

Angel shook his head. “I think the fact that you don’t want to be that woman proves you won’t be. You’re a smart woman Buffy, you’ll figure all of this out and you’ll be fine. And Spike isn’t going to give up on you. That much I can tell.”

“How can you tell?”

Angel grinned. “Aside from the fact that he’s done nothing but talk about you all night?”

“He has?”

Angel nodded. “It doesn’t come as too much of a surprise to me to learn that he loved you all this time. It was apparent to me from the start that he loved you. I can see how you’re slow on the uptake. Always have been a little slow—“

She slugged him on the arm playfully. “Shut up.”

“And I don’t think that you’re mistrust of him is totally misplaced. He was, as you said a ‘mimbo’. You saw all that, you saw how he was and what he did. He’s got to understand that a part of you will be wary.”

“When am I not wary of anything?”

“True.”

“So you’re not upset with me?”

“No Buffy, I’m not upset. Worried about you, but not upset.”

“I’ll be all right.”

“I know, and knowing that you have Spike does make it easier. But you’re my little sister Buffy. It’s my job to watch your back and make sure you’re all right. Can you promise to call me more often? That’s my little nephew in there—“

“Or niece.”

“And I’d like to be around more for you. Plus, I think you’d get along really well with Cordy.”

Buffy smiled. “She seems really good for you.”

“She’s great for me,” Angel smiled wistfully. He sighed. “And who knows, you might not have to worry about breaking the news to mom and dad about your broken engagement. The way things are going with you and Spike—“

“Don’t jinx it,” Buffy warned.

“I’m just saying. Hold off for a bit. I have a feeling Spike won’t argue.”

“So what should I do now?”

“I think you should come on in and join the party luv.”

Buffy’s head snapped to the side. Spike was standing there, leaning over with his hands on the open car window, peering into the car.

“Well so much for making a quiet getaway,” Buffy muttered just before Spike popped his head in the car.

“Excuse me, Angel,” he told the other man and pressed his lips against Buffy’s.

“What’s up baby?” Spike asked, moving away and opening the car door, taking her hand and leading her out.

She darted a look at Angel who was grinning.

“Uh, nothing,” Buffy mumbled.

“Wondering what was taking so long mate. Thought maybe you went back to the hotel,” Spike said to Angel, closing the door. He pulled Buffy into his arms, so that her back was to his front and he bent to nuzzle her neck.

“Shit!” Angel swore. “I didn’t call Cordy. Now you’ll have to excuse me.”

“You were coming out here to call Cordy?” Buffy asked.

Angel grinned. “Yeah, I left the cell in the car. She likes me to check in. Just to see how I’m doing and hear my voice,” and he winked knowingly.

Buffy smiled broadly. “You know Angel, I don’t care what Dawn says about you. You’re a really good brother.”

“Thanks. And I don’t care what she says about you, you’re a really great sister.”

Buffy giggled as Angel sauntered away, cell in hand, calling Cordy.

Spike spun Buffy in his arms. “Want a kiss,” he murmured.

Buffy put her hands on his chest, halting him. “You’re drunk aren’t you?”

Spike grinned, “little bit. How can you tell? Do I stink?”

Buffy shook her head and laughed. “No, I can’t smell it. I can just tell.” She distinctly remembered hurling an accusation his way about how he always came on to her when he was drunk. It might be sad, but it cemented Spike’s confession of love for her even more. It was always in plain sight, she’d just been too blind to see it.

Wrapping her arms around him, she drew him down for a kiss. He moaned and deepened it, pulling her closer against him. She felt the evidence of his arousal against her stomach and she felt her body respond in kind. Breaking apart breathlessly, Spike rested his forehead against hers.

“What brought you down?” he asked.

“Just being silly is all.”

“Checking up on me?”

She averted her eyes. “Yes and no. I had a rough night.”
He pulled back and regarded her. “What happened?”

“Why don’t we go inside and I’ll tell you—“
“Tell me Buffy. No secrets.”

Buffy sighed. “For the second time tonight . . . “