This Girl, That Boy by facingthesun
Summary: The past and present of Buffy and William, they were friends before…maybe they were more, but now? Not so much. A break-up, make-up story with tons of flashbacks. AU, all human-verse.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 51985 Read: 26152 Published: 02/01/2005 Updated: 10/31/2005

1. Chapter 1 by facingthesun

2. Chapter 2 by facingthesun

3. Chapter 3 by facingthesun

4. Chapter 4 by facingthesun

5. Chapter 5 by facingthesun

6. Chapter 6 by facingthesun

7. Chapter 7 by facingthesun

8. Chapter 8 by facingthesun

9. Chapter 9 by facingthesun

10. Chapter 10 by facingthesun

11. Chapter 11 by facingthesun

12. Chapter 12 by facingthesun

13. Chapter 13 by facingthesun

14. Chapter 14 by facingthesun

15. Chapter 15 by facingthesun

16. Chapter 16 by facingthesun

17. Chapter 17 by facingthesun

18. Chapter 18 by facingthesun

19. Chapter 19 by facingthesun

20. Chapter 20 by facingthesun

21. Chapter 21 by facingthesun

Chapter 1 by facingthesun
New story! I ripped some lines, concepts from My Girl. :)

Chapter 1

“I hate you!” Buffy ran up the stairs, sobbing all the way. “I never, ever want to see your stupid face again!” She slammed her bedroom door and fell against it. Leaning her head back, she could hear her friend crying as well. “Go away, William!”

“I take it back!”

“I don’t care! I still hate you!”

***

After minutes of silence, William sat close to her closed door. He experimentally wiggled his fingers underneath it and yelped as Buffy pounded on him. “Hey!”

“Go away,” Buffy demanded, her voice hoarse.

“I’m not. I take it back…it’s just you’ve been so mean lately.”

“It has nothing to do with them! They can get a stupid divorce and I won’t care!”

“You can stay at my house,” William suggested, wiping his nose on the back of his hand. “I’ll give you the top bunk.”

“You’d give me the top one just because you’re too much of a baby to use it yourself. Every time you climb up there, you cry and your mommy has to get you down.”

“Do not,” William pouted, knowing it was true. “Fine, you can live in the dog house then.”

***

Buffy recognized him instantly and she glared holes into his head. I can’t believe it, she thought.

“Buffy, come meet my friend.”

“But…food,” she whined, her little plate empty as Cordelia drug her away.

“Buffy, this is William.”

They looked each other in the eyes, both of them silent.

“William is a teacher and he’s going to start teaching at the high school.”

“Oh,” Buffy said, as she wondered if she should quit her job as counselor at Sunnydale’s only high school. “What do you teach?”

“English,” William answered and Buffy huffed and rolled her eyes. “You actually counsel kids? On what, how to do their hair and the art of cheating on their boyfriends without getting caught?”

“You asshole,” she hissed, tears filling her eyes. Without thinking, Buffy kicked William in the shin with her pointed shoe. As he yelped and cursed Buffy ran out of the party.
***

“I’m sorry, I still hate you but not as much.” Buffy sat next to William on the curb. “My dad’s moving away tomorrow.”

He nodded, “My mom bought macaroni and cheese with the dinosaur shaped noodles. I’m having it tomorrow after we go to the Natural History Museum…my mom already said you could come over.” William picked up a twig from the ground and poked her bright pink sneaker. “Your shoes are bloody ugly, Buffy.”

“I’m telling!” Buffy shot up to her feet. “You’re such a potty mouth! I’m telling!”

“Don’t” William chased her as she ran through the yards and to his house. “No!”

***

“William, what the hell was that about?”

“Nothing.” He grimaced, rubbing his sore leg. “Stupid--. Will she ever grow up?”

“You were the one that accused her of being bad at her job,” Cordelia pointed out. “I think you deserved it but still, I’ve never seen Buffy act like this.”

“I have,” he grumbled.

“What?”

“Nothing.”
***

Buffy giggled and William’s eyes filled with fear.

“No, not the blue stuff,” he whined. “I’ll never do it again, I swear.”

“Liar, liar,” Buffy danced as William’s mother was about to wash his mouth out with soap. “He said my shoes were,” Buffy motioned for her to come closer and she whispered the rest in her ear.

“William,” his mother scolded.

“I’m sorry,” he said, tears in his eyes. “Please, no…”

“Buffy, maybe you should go home.”

“No, I wanna watch.”

***

“Here’s more water.” Buffy handed him two full water bottles. William gulped them and then spit in the road. “Ew!” Buffy wiped her bare leg where he had splashed her.

“I’m never going to get this soapy taste out of my mouth.”

“You shouldn’t swear.”

“You shouldn’t tell. You’re such a tattle tale, Buffy.”

“Am not.” Buffy squirmed as he spit again. “You’re gross!”

“You wanna see something great?”

“Yeah.”

“Look,” William took a swallow of water into his mouth and he pushed it out of the hole where his two front teeth used to be. “See? I’m a fountain,” he said proudly.

“You’re stupid…do it again?”

***

Buffy got in her car and let her tears slide down her face freely. She looked in her rear view mirror and gasped, noticing her makeup was also making its way down her cheeks.

“I hate him.”
***

“What happened to you?”

“Do you like it?” Buffy puckered her lips and curtsied. “I feel like a lady,” she proclaimed. Sitting carefully, she struggled to cross her legs.

“You look like a clown.”

“Do not!”

“And your lips,” William wrinkled his nose, looking closer, “Are they bleeding?”

“No!” Buffy scrunched up her nose as he laughed at her. “You know what I can do now?”

“What?”

“This!” Buffy held his face between her hands, leaving a big red lip print on his cheek.

“No! You kissed me,” William screamed in horror and wiped his face frantically.

“Be quiet or I’ll do it again.”

***

William sighed and watched from a safe distance as she fixed her makeup and hair.

“Never figured out why she fussed over all that stuff…she’s beautiful all on her own.”

“So, you’re back?”

William turned, seeing Buffy’s younger sister. “I am, Dawnie.”

“Buffy hates you.”

“I know and I’m not very fond of her either at the moment.”

“When are you guys going to loosen up? How long has it been?”

“Looking at the pretty bruise on my leg, I’d say not long enough.”
***

Buffy drove home with the radio off. She pulled into the driveway of her childhood home that she now owned. Entering the house, Buffy dropped her keys on the tabletop and kicked off her shoes before heading upstairs to run a bath. Minutes later, she lowered herself into the hot water and laid back, her thoughts, like always, focusing on William.
***

“Buffy, did you sit in something?”

“I don’t know.” She struggled to look behind her and looked confused when her shorts had a red spot. “Ew.”

“Your mom is going to get mad, I bet those pants are ruined.” William smiled, knowing that Buffy was in big trouble.

“Well, you’re dumb.” Buffy climbed back on her bike, ignoring her dirty shorts. “Last person to my house has to buy me ice cream!”

***

“Mom! I think something’s wrong with me!” Buffy ran into the house with William on her heels.

“Mrs. Summers! Help!”

“What? What? Calm down.”

“Ms. Summers,” William panted, “Buffy’s bleeding or something.”

Buffy’s mom widened her eyes. “Where is the blood coming from?”

“I’m not telling with him here!”

“Me? What did I do?”

“William, go watch TV and wait for Buffy, she’ll see you in a little while.”

“Oh, ok. She won’t die, right?”

“No, dear, she’ll be fine.”

***

“That goes where?” Buffy swallowed. “Does everyone know about this? Is everyone okay with this?”

“It’s normal, Buffy. Do you want me to help you?”

“No way.” Her small hands clutched the pads and tampons. “I’ll do it by myself. Tell William to go away for me.”

“Are you sure? You could tell him, he was really worried about you…”

“Oh, I don’t care, just leave me alone!” Buffy slammed the door to the bathroom.

***

“I hate you.”

“What did I do now, Buffy?”

“Nothing and that’s the problem. You’re a boy and just because of that I hate you. Get out of my house!”

“You’re crazy!” William ran as Buffy chased him, punching him as they went.

“And don’t come back for five to eight days!”

***

“Where are you staying?”

“At the house.”

“Buffy bought mom’s house,” Dawn said. “She’ll see you.”

“Let her, it’s a free country.”

“And you’re going to work at the high school with her, that’s not good.”

“We’ll have to make it work,” William said, frowning. “How long has she worked there anyway?”

“Two years, mom got her the job. She’s good with the kids, they trust her.”

William nodded, “You need a ride, pet?”
***

“I waited nine days just to be safe.”

“Good.”

“So, you wanna swim?”

“No, I don’t want to wear a bathing suit around you.”

“Why not?”

“Because you’ll look at me, mom said so. I don’t want you to look at me when I’m nearly naked.”

“I wouldn’t!”

“Yes you would,” Buffy nodded, confidently. “Mom said other stuff too but I don’t want to tell you…you wouldn’t be able to handle it.”

“Like what? Give me a hint?”

“She told me…come here,” Buffy pulled him close and cupped her hands around his ear. “She told me about birds and bees.”

“She didn’t!”

“Shhh, she did and it’s so, so gross.”

“Tell me, I like gross things.”

“No, you like germs and mud and stuff. This…it’s so gross, William.”

“Tell me,” he pleaded.

“Ok, but it’s a secret. Promise you won’t tell anyone.”

“I swear, I won’t tell anybody.”

“Pinky swear.” They linked little fingers and Buffy moved closer. “You’re going to puke afterwards.”

“Just tell me.”

“Ok, well it involves a lot more than what we thought…what those pigeons were doing is nothing. People kiss until they lick each other’s tonsils--.”

“I got my tonsils taken out, Buffy.”

“Looks like you’re going to be left out then.” Buffy ignored William’s frown and she continued, “Then men and women, they like lock together and stuff.”

“What do you mean?”

“Mom said it’s like finding your key. I have a special spot that only the perfect key can open.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad, Buffy.”

“That’s what I thought until she told me that boys have their keys in their pants!”

“I always keep my house key in my pants’ pocket, I’m not a girl, I won’t use a purse--.”

“William! Not in your pants!”

“But you said…”

“I mean under, under your pants and underwear…it’s not a real key, maybe you’re too stupid to understand. Boys, a part of them, goes inside a girl.”

“Inside?”

“Yeah and it’s so gross and mom said it’s really messy but it’s ok if people are in love and married.”

“Messy? How?”

“I’m not saying anymore! I’ll have to draw you a picture or something! You go ask your mom or mine.”

“I don’t want to ask them, they’re girls, Buffy.”

“So? I’m a girl too.”

“No, you aren’t. You’re…you’re just Buffy.”

***

“Dawn, it’s about time.” Buffy came down the stairs in her robe, drying her hair with a towel. “Did you see William at Cordy’s party? What an asshole, he’ll never change.”

“Hey, pet.”

Buffy shrieked and closed her robe tightly. “What are you doing here? Get out!”

“I gave Dawn a ride, seems that her sister abandoned her.”

“William,” Dawn frowned. “It’s alright Buffy, I could’ve walked.”

“I’m sorry,” Buffy said weakly.

“It’s alright, I know that you were upset.”

“Yeah,” Buffy looked at William and blinked. “I was really upset.”

“Buffy…”

“No,” she turned and ignored him. “I’m going to change. I hope you’re gone when I come back down.”
***

“That was awkward.”

“No, actually that’s the best that we’ve acted since…a long time ago,” William said. “I should go and prepare for the hell that’ll be Monday.”

“Where’s you classroom gonna be?”

“Second floor.”

“Oh…”

“Her office is on that floor, isn’t it?”

“She moved to a bigger office this year,” Dawn said quietly. “Just avoid her.”

“I’ll do my best.”

“It was nice seeing you, William.”

“Likewise, bit.” He gave her a hug before walking across the street.
***

“He’s still so beautiful…” Buffy closed the blinds once William went into his house. “God, I miss him so much.”
***
Chapter 2 by facingthesun
Chapter 2

“I’m running away tomorrow.”

“Why?”

“My mom’s going on dates—she says that she isn’t but I know she is. She stinks, Buffy, and her hair—it’s huge!” William spread his hands so Buffy would understand. “It looks so weird and then she wears high heels. She can’t even walk in ‘em and she squishes my head and uses me to keep her up so she doesn’t fall on her face!”

Buffy nodded, understanding completely, “So, where’re you going?”

“Scotland. I’m going to live in a castle with a moat and a dragon.”

“You just wanna wear those dresses!”

William glared and spoke up over Buffy’s giggles. “No! No! Buffy are you coming with me or not?”

“I don’t know…I don’t like plaid, it’s so ugly.”

“You can still wear your nasty girlie clothes,” William said, playing with his shoelaces and trying not to plead.

“I don’t know…”

“Please, please, please!” William gave up and he crawled to her on his knees, hands together. “I’ll get lost if you don’t come with me!”

“Alright!”

“Oh, thank you, Buffy.”

“Hey!” She squirmed as he hugged her. “Hey! Stop it!”

“Buffy,” he whispered, chin resting on her shoulder and eyes squeezed tight. “I didn’t even tell you the worst part…she says that she’s finding me a new father. I don’t want one…I like my old one, my real one.”

“At least your dad didn’t leave on purpose,” Buffy said, sitting rigid as he clung to her.

“I miss him.”

“Don’t cry, stupid.” Buffy blinked and thought that her eyes felt funny. “I miss my dad too.”

“I thought you hated him?”

“I do! Now, stop touching me!” Buffy pushed him away. “When are we leaving tomorrow?”

***

“Buffy, I doubt he’ll care about what you’re wearing.”

Buffy shrieked, “Don’t sneak up on me like that!” She quickly pulled off her shirt and threw it on the top of the heap of clothes.

“You’re going to be late.”

“What’s your hurry? Shouldn’t you be gone by now anyway?” Buffy grabbed two more shirts and showed them to her sister. “Pink or white?”

“Pink. Buffy,” Dawn crossed her arms over her chest,” you don’t remember, do you?”

“What?”

“You’re taking me to school today. Art project? Big art project that I can’t carry?”

“Oh, yeah—are you sure about the pink?”

“You know he likes you in pink,” Dawn said, rolling her eyes. “I’m going to put my stuff in the car.”
***

Buffy didn’t have to look to know that William was there; she could hear his laughter fill the air.

“Dawn! If you still need a ride, come on!”

“Bye William.” Dawn smiled and waved. “See, Buffy, some people can be late and still be in a good mood.”

Buffy said nothing; instead she got into her car and slammed the door. She drove her sister towards the high school in silence. Glancing into the rear view mirror, Buffy saw that William was following on their heels.

He always looked gorgeous in a suit, she thought, chewing on her lip.

“Buffy!”

“Huh?” Buffy was pulled out of her daze at Dawn’s scream and the crash that followed soon after.
***

“You hit my car!”

“Are you alright, Buffy? Dawnie?” William gave Dawn a quick hug before touching Buffy’s elbow. “What happened, love?”

She started blankly at his hand, unable to answer his question.

“She was totally zoning out and almost hit a dog,” Dawn explained.

“A dog?”

“Yeah, Buffy, what was wrong with you?”

“Hey now,” William frowned, not liking that Dawn was screaming at Buffy.

“It’s…it’s ok,” Buffy said softly, still shaken by the accident. “I wasn’t paying attention.” Moving away from William, she glanced at the front of her car. “Please tell me that I didn’t hit it…”

“I don’t think you did…” Dawn glanced along the sides of the road and spotted the dog. “See, there he is.”

“Good.”

“Should we call the cops and get a report written up,” William asked. He looked at their smashed vehicles and winced. “I left my phone…”

“I’ll call.” Buffy sat on the curb and started to dig through her purse. “I’ll call the school too.”

“Here I thought I’d only be a few minutes late.” With a soft laugh, he sat between Buffy and Dawn, making an effort to be closer to the younger Summers woman. “Gotta love the first day…”

As Buffy made calls, she watched as William whispered to her sister, saying things that made her giggle and blush.

I will not be jealous, Buffy told herself, looking away. I will not.
***

“Running away is boring,” Buffy announced, rolling onto her stomach.

“What do you wanna do?” William closed his eyes and allowed the sun to shine in his face.

“Why do I always have to think of everything? You think of something.”

“Ok, I will.” He tapped his chin and hummed, deep in thought. “It’s too bad we can’t swim ever again.”

“That’s all you want to do all the time.”

“Do not!”

“Well, we can’t.”

“Sometimes I wish you were a boy then we could swim and I wouldn’t get picked on…”

“I’d hate to be a boy! I hate those guys who are mean to you—someday I’m going to beat ‘em all up!”

“Yeah and I’ll help!”

“What would you do to help? Buffy giggled, sitting up and pinching William’s arm.”

“Ow!”

“You can’t do anything, William.”

“Can too! I’d…I’d spit in their eyes!”

“Oh, well, I guess that’d be ok, you’re good at that kinda stuff.”

“I am,” William said, smiling proudly.

“So have you figured out what we’re gonna do yet?”

“No…you know, Buffy, when I swim, I always close my eyes? I heard that if you don’t, water can get underneath them and they can float away, right out of your head.”

“Really,” she asked, interested.

“Yeah, I never ever open my eyes—eyes are important, you know?”

“Ok, ok, let’s run away to my house and the last one there can fill up the pool!”

***

“I’m so not going to class today,” Dawn said, bouncing.

“Don’t look so happy, bit. So,” he paused, catching Buffy’s glance, “since our cars were towed away and all that…lunch? On me?”

“No.”

“Oh. Right,” William nodded, looking disappointed. “I guess we’ll just start walking or maybe you could have a head start and I’ll follow…”

“William, it’s my fault, I’ll pay.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” Buffy swallowed, avoiding his hopeful grin. “But just because I feel bad.”
***

“William,” Buffy ran into his backyard, “William, I’ve been thinking, let’s start our own business…who are you?”

“Who are you?”

“William,” Buffy looked at him, “who’s that?”

“He’s new. His name’s Angel.”

“Hi.”

Buffy frowned at the dark haired boy, “Angel, what kind of girlie name is that? William, ditch him and let’s go to my house.” She grabbed him and tried to steal him away. “William, come on!”

“I’m…I’m busy, Buffy.”

“You’re busy? When will you not be busy?”

“My mom’s picking me up at five,” Angel said.

“What am I supposed to do until then?”

“Well…I guess you could stay with us,” William said, wrinkling his nose.

“No!” Buffy clenched her fists, her eyes wandering from her friend to her replacement. “You can be alone with your boyfriend and see if I care!”

“He’s not my boyfriend!”

“Yes he is! I hate you!” Buffy kicked William in leg before running away in tears.

***

“I’m not having a birthday party! I don’t want to invite anyone!”

“Buffy,” Joyce sat on the couch and stared Buffy in the eye. “You should have a birthday party, you only turn twelve once.”

“I don’t care,” Buffy said, pouting.

“Why not? You’ve been planning since the beginning of the month…we bought all the plates, napkins…Buffy, would this have anything to do with William?”

“No.”

“His mom said he was making new friends, are you feeling left out, Buffy?”

“No.”

“If you have a party, you can invite your whole class and maybe you could make twice as many friends as William.”

Buffy tried not to smile at the thought; she loved having more than William. “I’m not inviting him or his boyfriend and you can’t make me.”

“Buffy…you’ve been friends with William for so long, he’s your best friend--.”

“He is not! He’s my worst friend! I don’t want a party!”

“Ok, but keep in mind that if you don’t have a party you won’t get any presents.”

“No presents?”

“Nope.”

“Fine! I’ll have the dumb party!”

***

“Maybe I should start walking home and give you guys sometime to be alone,” Dawn teased.

“Over my dead body,” Buffy said. She hesitated before sitting at the table, she didn’t want to sit next to William and she didn’t want to be tempted to stare at him during their meal.

“Just sit, Buffy.”

She glared, “Like you know what I was thinking.”

William smirked, staying silent as she settled across from him.

“Since I’m buying, don’t get the most expensive thing on the menu, Dawn.”

Dawn stuck out her tongue. “I’m not the one to watch, he’s the one that eats and eats.”

“That’s right.” Chuckling mischievously, he put up the menu and whispered to Dawn behind it.

“You’re going to drive me insane. Stop it,” Buffy demanded. She nearly growled as they continued to laugh, not including her. “I mean it, stop it now.”

“You’re no fun, Buffy.”

“No. I’m not.” She glared and considered kicking him under the table.
***

“Happy Birthday, Buffy.”

“Leave me alone.”

Sighing, William sat next to her. “I got you a gift and I even paid for it with my own money.”

“What is it?”

“I’m not telling, you’ll have to open it.” He put the present on her lap. “I wrapped it too.”

“William…are you really my best friend…were you before you abandoned me?”

“Buffy…”

“I knew it! Go away and take your dumb present with you!” Buffy tossed the gift at him and ran into her room.

William sighed, seeing that all the partygoers had their eyes on him. Feeling embarrassed, he grinned and slowly made his way up the stairs.

“You’re my best friend,” he said, resting his forehead against her closed door. “I mean it, Buffy.”

“Then why won’t you stop by anymore? Every time I go to your house, you’re gone or with another stupid boy!”

“I said you could play with us.”

“You were just being nice to me…you just felt bad or something.”

“No, no…don’t laugh or call me names but…I’ve missed you. Buffy, honest, I swear. It’s just—it’s—I haven’t been picked on at all lately and I like it.”

“You’d choose to never ever see me again just so you don’t get called a name—well, you’re the mean one!”

“No…”

“Yes!” Buffy opened the door suddenly and William jumped. “Who’s supposed to be my friend when you’re busy? You didn’t care at all that I was left all by myself.”

“I did…I just…”

“Go away,” Buffy said; all her anger had dissolved and she fought back tears. “Just leave me alone, William.”

“Buffy, I’m sorry.”

“Just go.” Buffy went back to her bed and stuffed her head in the pillows.

***

“Well, I had fun unlike some people.” Dawn gave her sister a dirty look. “Now what?”

“We start walking, pet.”

Buffy frowned, “Why don’t you guys go, I have a friend that’ll give me a ride back.”

“A friend?”

“Yes, a friend,” Buffy said.

“Who?”

“And how is that any of your business? Can you make sure that Dawn gets home ok?”

“Sure, I’ll be her babysitter.”

“Hey,” Dawn said in protest. “I can walk home by myself and I usually do.”

“Dawn.” William gave her a strange look and then she quieted.

I’m going to have to figure out how to make that look, Buffy thought, impressed by how quickly her stubborn sister stopped whining.

“I’ll get her home all safe and sound, love.”

“Good.”
***

“Buffy, get up.”

“What…” She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. “What’s going on?”

“We’re going to the hospital, don’t change, we need to go now.”

“Why?” Buffy shot up, noticing her mom’s eyes were red, “Is Dawn ok?”

“Your sister’s fine, it’s William, his mother just passed away.”

“What happened?”

“When was the last time you saw him at school, Buffy?”

“Ah, I never do, I haven’t even talked to him since my birthday party a few years ago.”

“Well, his mom got sick and he needs us. He needs you Buffy.”

***

Buffy felt strange walking beside her mother in the hospital. It was very early in the morning and she was still dressed in her brightly colored pajamas. Before entering the room, Buffy could see him sitting next to the empty bed and staring at his toes.

“Mom, I don’t want to go in there,” she whispered. “Please, don’t make me.”

“Ok, honey, stay and I’ll get him to come out.”

As her mom walked into the room, Buffy hid and she slowly crept back to the window. She watched as they hugged and Buffy was shocked to see that William hadn’t been crying. He was such a crybaby before, she thought.

“Crap!” Buffy hid again when William’s eyes met hers. “Caught!” A few minutes later when her heartbeat was steady again, she peeked and William was still looking in her direction, as if waiting for her. Biting her lip, Buffy waved.

***
Chapter 3 by facingthesun
Chapter 3

“Mom wanted me to see if you needed anything.” Buffy rested against the doorway. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.” With a sigh, William sat on the edge if the bed, his back towards her. “Your mom’s being very kind to me. I always knew she was a nice lady but...”

“I’m sorry about your mom...I had no idea and I feel so crappy about that.”

“We weren’t talking, no matter how much I wanted to, I couldn’t tap you on the shoulder and bawl about my mother.”

“You could’ve.” Buffy sat next to him and made no attempt to look him in the eye.

“Sometimes I’d see you in the cafeteria or somewhere else at school and I’d be so mad at myself, that I just let us stop being friends. I know my mom missed you...I did too...I do.”

Buffy swallowed, not sure what to say. Everyday it seemed normal for her to avoid William at school and she made a point to never go outside when he was in his yard. She’d forced herself to make new friends after her birthday party. She’d invited herself to other parties and latched on to a new group friends.

“Seems that we’ll have to get along again, yeah? Who knows how long I’ll be here...I don’t know where I’m going to be shipped off to...I can’t believe I’m a bloody orphan, Buffy.”

“Oh,” Buffy gasped, not realizing that he was now classified by such a term. “William...” She let out a little whine when his sad eyes searched her face. Before she realized it, she took him in her arms and hugged him tightly.

William sighed in relief and then he broke into sobs. Not knowing what to do, Buffy rubbed his back like she had seen her mom do earlier at the hospital. “It’ll be ok, I promise.”

***

“What are you doing?”

“Hush.”

“William,” Dawn scolded. “Buffy’s so gonna kick your ass.”

“No, she won’t because she’ll never know that we’re spying on her.”

“We? There’s no ‘we’ in this.”

“Play nice, bit, or I’ll tell her that you swore.”

“Come on, what are you, five years old? I can swear if I want to, Buffy’s not the boss of me.”

“Sure she isn’t,” William rolled his eyes. “Who’s her friend...a boyfriend?”

Dawn was amused by the pained looked on his face, “You really think she could move on after you? You nearly killed my sister, William.”

“Let’s not be too dramatic, Dawn,” William said, even though he knew she was telling the truth.

“Even if I was kept in the dark about you guys, I know Buffy’s not perfect and I’m sure she did something to hurt you too. Buffy has a tendency to do that. Sometimes I think she enjoys hurting people.”

“That’s not true, Dawn and you know it.”

She blinked, not used to him being stern. “Ok, sorry.”

“This is stupid.” William stopped on the sidewalk and allowed Buffy to walk out of his sight. “I’m not a bloody stalker, let’s go back, pet.”

“Glad you came to your senses, I was worried for a minute.”

“Shut up, princess.”
***

“He’s back, Mom. I know, I know, you told me he’d be back. Stupid William can never stay away can he?” Chuckling softly, Buffy sat in front of the gravestone on the cold white bench. “And he’s hotter than ever too. Damn, you should see him, Mom. He always could make anything look so good—jeans, a t-shirt, you name it...I saw him in a suit today and just sight of him made me get in car accident.” Buffy laughed again, looking up through the leaves of the tree that sheltered her mother’s grave. “Don’t worry everyone’s ok and our cars should be fixed by the end of the week. He’s a teacher now and we’ll be working together and you know, that just asking for trouble. When me and William get together,” Buffy took a deep breath, shivers shaking her body, “who knows what could happen next...”
***

“Dinner!”

“We should...eat.”

“Right.” Sniffling, William pulled away from her. “Oh, look, I got your shirt all wet, pet.”

“What...” Buffy batted his hands away as he tried to dry her chest. “Hey, stop. William, hands!”

“Sorry, sorry...”

“What did you call me,” Buffy asked, pulling up the neckline of her shirt.

“Um, nothing.”

“Pet?”

“Just a-a nickname—term of endearment...” William stood and looked uneasy. “We should go downstairs, yeah?”

“I guess,” Buffy said, confused by the way he was acting.

“Let’s go, Buffy.” He pleaded, taking her hand leading her out of the bedroom.

***

Buffy knew there was something different about him. Even though she avoided him, she wasn’t blind or deaf. He was taller, taller than her now and his voice was deeper. Buffy would struggle not to laugh each time his voice cracked.

I love puberty, she decided as he’d blush and pretend that the cracking was his choice, that he wanted his voice to change mid-sentence.

“I’m letting you both stay out of school until next Monday,” Joyce announced at the dinner table, spreading her napkin carefully over her lap. “While I help with the funeral arrangements and with contacting the family, it’ll be your jobs to move William into the guest bedroom. Bring over whatever you want, William. I want you to be comfortable.”

William nodded.

***

“What’s all this stuff?”

“Stuff.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and she peeked into the box. “You have a lot of crap, William.”

“Wait until we have to move all my books,” he said with a smile.

“I don’t want to, I’m too young to throw my back out.” Buffy sat suddenly, tucking her hair behind her eyes. “Break.”

“You just had a break,” William whined but he sat next to her on the carpet. “I hate being in here now.”

“You hate your room?”

“Yeah, memories...”

“Do you think your guardian will move you somewhere else? It’d be really strange if I didn’t see your stupid face every time I looked out my window.”

“I knew you were spying on me, I’d be certain that you were watching.”

“You’re lying. You are lying right?” Buffy panicked silently. “Sometimes I’d just glance out my window but there was no way that I was looking at you...”

“Sure,” he teased. “Well, I guess I need a guardian first and then I’ll anticipate how they’ll ruin my life.”

“My mom won’t let them do too much damage, she likes you for some reason.”

“And you don’t?”

Buffy frowned, “Is that some kinda trick question?”

“Forget it.” He looked away, a hint of hurt in his eyes.

“You’ve gotten weirder with age, you know that, right?”

“I guess so.”

“Where are you going?”

William stood and he continued to put his belongings in a box. “My break’s over, you can continue to sit if you’d like.”

Grumbling, Buffy stood and she started to work.

***

“Dawn!”

“Up here!”

Careful not to say something stupid, Buffy looked across the street and tried to guess if William was tucked safely in his house. “Um, Dawn--.”

“I’m still here.”

“Holy crap,” Buffy gasped, holding her chest. “Were you hiding or something?”

“Nope.” William came out from the kitchen. “I was getting us water. The pizza will be delivered in, oh,” he looked at his wristwatch, “fifteen minutes. If you get to the door before me, the cash is on the counter.”

“Where are you going?”

“Back up stairs. Dawn and I are in the middle of a nasty game of Battle Ship.”

“Are you cheating while playing a game with my little sister?”

“Me,” William asked, a smile on his face. “Who can cheat at Battle Ship, love?”

“You can. I taught you how.” Buffy followed him up the stairs but they parted and went in opposite directions.

“You wanna play the winner?”

“No.”

“Alright, I’ll knock when the food arrives.”

“Ok.” Buffy went into her room and closed the door.
***

“I think your dolls should go on that shelf and then put the books over there.”

“Don’t get me started again, Buffy.” William crossed him arms and glared. “I don’t own any bloody dolls.”

“You say action figures, I say girlie dollies.” She stuck out her tongue and started to move his things to her liking. “So...for tomorrow...you wanna go shopping for some new clothes later today?”

“I’m not going to the funeral.”

“What?” She looked at him, her mouth open. “That’s not something to joke about.”

“I’m not joking. I’m not going.”

Buffy could tell by his soft, calm voice that he was being very serious. “Ok...what are you going to do instead?”

“I haven’t decided yet. I want to do something my mom would’ve liked, you know—I bet it’s a dumb idea but...”

“It’s not a dumb idea, William.”

“You really think so?”

“Yeah.”

“You wanna come with me?”

Buffy took a deep breath, her heart speeding up for reasons she couldn’t figure out. She guessed later it had something to do with the way that William was looking at her. “I want to.”

***

Buffy felt ridiculous but it didn’t stop her from pressing her ear to the wall. She grinned, listening as William mangled his voice to sound like a pirate. He could never play that game without making those funny voices, she remembered. God, he’s such a dweeb. Biting her lip, Buffy continued to listen until the doorbell rang.
***

“You know, I think I’m going to take my pizza to my room.”

“Is that right, kitten?”

“Yup,” Dawn said with a grin. “I have stuff to do.”

“Stuff, huh?” Buffy glared as her sister nodded, unfazed.

“Bye, William.”

“Bye.” After Dawn was out of sight, William said, “She thinks she’s playing cupid.”

“Does she,” asked Buffy, rolling her eyes. “She’s a pest and she always has been.”

“True.” William wiped his face and chewed his pizza slowly. “Should I leave?”

“If you want to.”

“I don’t want to.”

“Then don’t.” Buffy picked at her food, taking off the topping of the pizza one piece at a time. “I figure if we can handle today, we can handle a few hours at work together everyday.”

“You’re right.”

“But just don’t think that you and come in and out of my house whenever you please. Today was fine but tomorrow...things could be different tomorrow.”

“You were always a moody one.”

“Hey,” she complained.

“It’s true and you know it.”

“Shut up,” she said, causing William to smirk. “Just eat your pizza so I can kick you out.”

“You said I could stay.”

“I’m moody, remember?” William looked delighted as Buffy stuck out her tongue. Oh no, Buffy thought.
***

“She liked this spot.”

“Why?”

“Look.” William pointed at the tree. “They carved their initials in it. After my mom would have a few drinks she’d tell me all about her and my father. They’d skinny dip over there.” He pointed again, pretending that he face wasn’t turning red. “Then they’d lay on a blanket here and gaze up at the stars. She said it was very romantic.”

“Sounds like it.”

“Uh, you wanna sit?”

“In a minute,” Buffy said, running her fingers over the carved bark of the tree. “I wish my mom would tell me about my dad. She never tells me good stories about him, only bad ones.”

“My mom was married before she met my dad. It was a brief marriage. My mom wasn’t always from California, you know? She’s from the South but the guy she married brought her to LA. He’d leave her and work for months straight. She met a friend while doing the laundry and then for some reason, that friend gave my mom my dad’s address. They were pen pals.”

“Really?” Buffy smiled, “How long did they write?”

“Two months and then the other guy left and divorced my mom. My parents only knew each other for four months when they married, they had only seen each other twice.”

“What else do you know?” Buffy sat crossed legged on the grass, facing the lake. “Tell me everything you know, William.” Lately Buffy found that she had a healthy appetite for anything that involved love and romance. She watched countless movies and read countless books. William story fascinated her more because the characters were real people.

William joined her on the grass and stared ahead. “I’m don’t know anymore, Buffy. I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok.”

“This reminds me of the time we ran away.”

“I was thinking the same thing.”

“Buffy, will you talk to me at school on Monday?”

“What do you mean,” Buffy asked, knowing that they didn’t have any classes together.

“Maybe…at lunch?”

“What will the boys do without you?”

“They’ll manage, what about Red and that loud girl, would they survive without you? If you agree to eat with me that is…”

“You know Willow?”

“She also in a book club that I went to last year. Don’t laugh, Buffy. It wasn’t so bad…”

“You’re such a nerd,” she said, smiling. “Willow never told me you went to that.”

“Because I begged her not to, I knew you’d make fun of me….”

“Oh, stop it.” Buffy playfully hit his arm. “Like I made fun of you all the time.”

“You did!”

Buffy laughed out loud as his voice cracked. “I love when that happens. It’s so cute.” William’s head tilted to the side and his eyes were wide. “Stop looking at me like that. I’ll take it back if you don’t—you’re not that cute…mildly cute.”

“Any form of it is fine with me.”

“Stop,” Buffy elbowed him in the side until he stopped looking at her with stars in his eyes. “Stop it now, William or I’m going back, alright?”

"Sorry," he said, clearing his throat. "I was just kinda shocked, that's all."

"Well, stop it, William."

"Ok, ok. So, Monday?"

"Monday."

***

“So, about tomorrow?”

“What about it?”

“Would you mind if I tagged along when you guys take off in the morning?”

“I guess not but don’t be late.”

“And who’s always the late one?”

“Shut up, William.”

“I’ll be ‘round early and I’ll bring breakfast?”

“If you want to...”

“Alrighty. I’ll see in the morning, Buffy. Sweet dreams, love.”

“Yeah, yeah, good night, William.”
***
Chapter 4 by facingthesun
Chapter 4

“We are totally going to have a study-fest tomorrow. I’m so scared of that test.”

“Buffy?”

“Hey,” Buffy smiled when William appeared beside her.

“I thought we could sit outside if that’s alright with you.”

“Sure. Will, call me, ok?” Buffy frowned when her friend didn’t respond. Willow was too busy staring at William.

“Hi,” she squeaked. “How are you liking our new novel in class?”

“I think it’s fantastic,” William answered. “The writing is stunning.”

“What book is it?” Buffy wrinkled her nose when Willow rattled off the unfamiliar title. “Sounds great.”

William chuckled, “I’ll make you borrow it, pet.”

Buffy took a deep breath, still not used to his new nickname for her. “I’m not a reader girl.”

“You just have to find the right books and I swear that you’ll be hooked.” William flashed her a smile. “Maybe I could take you to the bookstore sometime--.”

“Uh, I guess I should be on my way,” Willow interrupted, a blush coloring her cheeks. “I have to find Anya!”

“Okay,” Buffy laughed, wondering why Willow was acting so strange.

“If you don’t find her, Red, you’re more than welcome to join Buffy and me.”

“No, thanks!” Willow hugged her books to her chest and practically ran away.

“Does she always act like that around you?”

“I haven’t noticed,” he said, following Buffy outside of the building. “Maybe someone slipped her some caffeine. She can’t handle that rot.”

“Mmmm...I wonder if she likes you. Do you like her?”

William brushed off the seat before Buffy could sit. “She’s alright. She’s a nice girl to talk to.” He sat next to Buffy and started to eat his sandwich.

“I’m guessing you’re in her English class?”

“Yup, that’s right.”

Buffy nodded, “You know, I was thinking she has a crush on a boy in that class. I was thinking it was you but then she told me that the guy writes poetry and stuff. You don’t write, do ya, William?”

“No, no,” William shook his head. “Girls...ah, only girls write poems. I hate the class, I only like reading...” He laughed nervously and scratched his eyebrow with his little finger. “So, did she say she liked the guy’s stuff?”

“Of course, she does, she loves the guy.”

“Oh, but you don’t know who he is?”

“Nope and it’s stupid. I tell her all my secrets.”

William gave her a sideways glance, “Who do you like, Buffy?”

“I’m not telling you! You’re a boy—you’ll tell!”

“Buffy, you just told me everything you know about Willow’s crush--.”

“Oh, crap!” Buffy’s eyes widened, realizing that he was right. “Please, please don’t tell anyone! Willow will kill me!” She gave him her dessert, knowing it was his favorite. “There are two cupcakes, take them both.”

“If you insist,” William chuckled happily.

“Just don’t tell!”

“Mmmm,” he closed his eyes and ate the first cupcake, “I won’t tell, Buffy.”

“Thank you...”

“Unless you tell me who you like.”

“Blackmailer! Give me my cupcake back!” She reached for him and William pushed her away.

“You suck!”

“What kinda talk is that?” he teased. “Just tell me his name.”

Buffy bit her lip and giggled at him.

“What?” he asked, his mouth full.

“You’re so messy.”

“Am not.” William licked his fingers.

“Are too.” Sighing, Buffy took a napkin and wiped his face.

“Buffy,” he croaked as she gently held his chin.

“What? Did I do something wrong?”

“No.”

“Then stop talking funny. I like Riley, ok? I think he’s cute.” Buffy put her hands in her lap. “But I think he hates me—all boys hate me.”

“I don’t,” William said softly. “You really like Finn? He’s so...”

“Great?” Buffy suggested.

“I was going to say retarded and butt-ugly,” he grumbled.

“You won’t tell about Willow now, right?”

“No.”

“You won’t tell about my crush?”

“If I say that bugger’s name, I’ll puke, Buffy.”

“William.” Buffy burst out laughing not used to his weird choice of words. “You’re so stupid.”

“At least I don’t have the hots for a jerk.”

“So who do you like?”

“I’m not telling you.”

“I told you.”

“Because you had to.”

“Is it Willow?”

“No.”

“Oh, she’s going to be upset.”

“So don’t tell her, Buffy.”

“Tell me,” she pouted. “Please, William?”

“No, Buffy.” He grinned when the bell rang, ending lunch. “I have to go.”

“Oh, you’re not getting away so easy William!” Buffy giggled as he ran. “I’ll see you at home!”
***

“Dawn left over an hour ago.” Buffy turned and locked the door. “She never leaves that early. How much did you pay her?”

“Would I do such a thing?”

Buffy gave him a look. “Yes.”

William chuckled, purposely changing the subject. “Coffee for you, love, and a bagel.”

“Thank you,” she said. “So, are you nervous about finally starting your new job?”

“Terrified.”

“Always the worry wart...you’ll be fine, William.”

“Buffy...”

“Ok, less talking, more walking.”
***

“It’s Willow, I’ll get it!” Buffy ran to get the ringing telephone. “I’ll be in my room!”

William rolled his eyes, “She’s loves that phone, huh?”

“Her life revolves around it,” Joyce agreed with a laugh. “How was school?”

“Alright, nothing new really.”

“How are you and Buffy getting along?”

“Great so far.” William played with his food. “I missed her, Mrs. Summers.”

Joyce smiled, “Oh, William, I know she missed you too...even if she’s too stubborn to admit it.”

“You really think so?”

“I know so.”

“Can I be excused, Mrs. Summers?”

“Sure, just rinse off your plate.”
***

Buffy lay on her bed and threaded the phone cord between her fingers. “Are you going to Harmony’s party?”

“Probably not.”

“Why?”

“I don’t have a date.”

“Willow, you don’t need one, come with me. Anya will be there too.”

“Anya’s bringing that new boy she met -- Xander -- or something like that. I just don’t want to be left by myself.”

“I won’t leave you.”

“You’ll probably go with William.”

“What makes you think that? I’m not even sure if he goes to those kinda things.”

“He’d go if you asked him.” There was a silence and then Willow added, “I’ve seen the way he looks at you. I think everyone has except you, Buffy. When you guys weren’t talking he’d ask me questions about you.”

“You’re kidding!”

“Nope, he always wanted do know how you were doing and stuff like that.”

“Really...” Buffy stared off, not believing that he cared so much. “Will, is William your crush?”

“No,” she said weakly on the other line.

“You’re lying.”

“It doesn’t matter. Buffy, I think he loves you or something.”

“William?”

“Yeah.”

“Will, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Does he really write poetry?”
***

“If you want, I can beat Dawn until she gives your money back. I don’t think you got your money’s worth.”

“I think differently, love.” William held open the door for Buffy to enter the high school, and they walked around the kids standing around in the hallway.

“We were almost silent the whole way and you ended up losing more money by buying my breakfast. Thanks again for that by the way.”

“No problem. It was nice just to be near you,” he said, pretending to be causal. “Like old times.”

“Old times,” Buffy repeated with a soft laugh. “You must remember them differently too.”

“I could, who knows really?”

“I don’t remember them being so...boring.”

William smiled, stopping in front of the door to his classroom. “No, no, we were never boring. Now that you mention it, maybe I’m wrong. Our walk was like old times but without the good stuff: the screaming, crying, talking, kissing--.”

“Whoa, that’s enough walking down memory lane for now, William.”

“For now?”

“Have a good day at work.”

“You too, Buffy.”
***

“William?” Buffy whispered, scooting closer to him on the couch. They were all watching a movie together and her mom and little sister were fast asleep.

“Yeah?”

“Have you heard about Harmony Kendall’s birthday party this weekend?”

“My friends are going.”

“Oh...are you going with them?”

“I wasn’t planning on it, they’re all bringing girls.”

“Oh,” Buffy nodded. “So, uh, you wanna go with me?”

William’s jaw hung open. “Like...like on a date, Buffy?”

“No, no, of course not!” Buffy spoke quieter when her mom shifted in her sleep. “Mom said I can’t date until I’m sixteen.”

“I turn sixteen before you do...” William counted the months on his fingers. “In ten months or around there...I could have messed up. I always seem to forget September...”

“Yeah, so what?”

“Nothing,” he said, acting as if he were caught.

“Are you going with me or not?”

“I’d like to, very much, Buffy.”
***

“Have you kicked him anymore?”

”Who?”

“You know who.” Cordelia sat and faced Buffy’s desk. “How’d the car accident go?”

“Just peachy.” Buffy took off her reading classes and put down the lid to her laptop. “You need something or are you just bored?”

“I thought you’d like to know the latest gossip, if I’m wrong...”

“Sit. Gossip already?”

“Hey things travel around the school fast.”

“Ok, let me have it.”

“It’s all centered around your friend, William so maybe you don’t even want to hear it...”

“Cordy.”

“Alright,” she sat forward and lowered her voice. “Some think you guys are still together. I didn’t know you guys dated. Anyway, some think he’s gay.”

Buffy interrupted to laugh. “Sorry, go on.”

“You name it, some have him married, seeing students--.”

“All the rumors are based around if he’s taken or not.”

“Of course, Buffy. Students, teachers, other staff—William’s hot.”

“Like I didn’t know that,” Buffy mumbled, rubbing her eyes. “Why are you telling me this?”

“Because if you want to claim your territory, I’d do it now and quick.”

“We’re not together.”

“Okay,” Cordelia stood and walked towards the door. “I’m just saying if he is your ex and there are still feelings...I’d know it’d piss me off if the entire school was throwing themselves at my man.”
***

“Please, for the love of God, let me sit with you.”

A smile tugged on her lips, “You know we could leave campus, right?”

“Even better.” William followed Buffy out of the teacher’s lounge. “The women are fucking crazy here.”

“Well, have you seen the other male teachers? You’re a breath of fresh air.”

“Yeah and they all want to get in my pants.”

Buffy laughed at his serious tone. “Would that really be a problem for you?”

“Oh, shut up. Where are we heading? I’m starving, love.”

“There’s a fast food place around the corner.”

“Did you have as much trouble when you started?”

“Did I have to beat off all the guys with a stick? Not really.”

“Why not?”

“Just what are you saying, William?” Buffy laughed again when he shrugged and said that he wasn’t sure. “William, there are only four other male teachers, and they are all over sixty. I’m sure that at least three of them are considered legally blind. And as for the students...yeah, I guess there was some problems but only for the first year.”

“A year? Kill me now.”

“It’s even worse if you’re single. You dating someone?”

William smirked, “That was a very creative way to weasel in that question, sweetheart. You had it all set up...”

“Like I really care,” Buffy said defensively. “It’s just a question.”

“You don’t have to sulk, Buffy. I’m not dating anyone and I haven’t.”

“Do you really want me to believe that?”

“Sure I tried to see other people but it never worked out. I have this funny little tendency to compare everyone to you—everyone falls short, you know?”

Buffy almost nodded in agreement, knowing exactly what he meant but she stopped herself.

“I guess your silence is my cue to shut my gob as well, eh?” William opened the door for Buffy and followed her inside the fast food restaurant.
***
Chapter 5 by facingthesun
Chapter 5

“Buffy?” Joyce struggled to hold their shopping bags and the sacks of fast food. “Please tell William we’re home and that dinner is on the table.”

“William! Food!”

“That’s enough yelling, young lady. Go upstairs and tell William. Now.”

Rolling her eyes, Buffy headed to his room with her drink in hand. “William,” she said, knocking on the door. “We’re home.” When he didn’t respond, Buffy opened the door, instantly dropping her drink. The soda bubbled on the floor and soaked through her shoes. “Oh my God,” she whispered.

“Buffy!”

“Oh my God!”

“Get out!” William pulled up his pants and ran to the door. “Get out!”

Buffy blinked as he slammed the door in her face.
***

“Mom, can you wash my sneakers?”

“Why?” Joyce didn’t look up from picking up after Dawn. “Is William going to join us?”

“I dropped my drink.” In her bare feet, Buffy put her damp socks and soaked shoes in the kitchen sink. “Do you think they’ll get sticky?”

“Buffy, those are your favorite shoes! Did you dunk them in your cup?”

“Do you really think they’re ruined?” Buffy pouted, “My cup just slipped...”

“Buffy--.”

“Just leave me alone! I don’t want to talk about it!”

“Okay.” Joyce sighed as Buffy ran away.
***

“I haven’t seen you so much these days.”

“I have a lot of homework,” William grumbled. He moved around the kitchen quickly, trying to gather his breakfast before Buffy could see him.

“Are you excited about the party tomorrow night?”

“Well...I’m not sure that I’m still going.”

“Why not?” Joyce frowned. “You don’t want to go? Buffy will be very disappointed.”

“I don’t want to upset her...” William looked away and mumbled, “Mrs. Summers, I was wondering if I could borrow some money. I’ll pay you back—I’ll do chores and everything.”

“What do you want to buy?”

“Uh...”

“Okay, how much will it cost?”

“I’m not sure yet. I need to go to the shoe store first and check the prices.”
***

Buffy stopped, surprised to see William out of his room.

“I’ll be gone in two seconds.”

“Wait. Are we really not going to Harmony’s party now?”

William kept his back turned, afraid to look Buffy in the eye. “I know you don’t want to be near me. I’m sorry, Buffy.”

“I have a new dress. Mom’s going to help me with my make up and hair...”

“Maybe you should call Riley then?” he said softly.

“If I wanted to go with Riley, I would’ve asked him.”

“Are...are you saying that you still want to go with me?”

“What do you think?”

“But about last night...”

“Just promise me that I won’t see that ever again.”

William turned, painful embarrassment twisting his features. “Never. I swear.”

“Good, because I’m traumatized, William.” Buffy laughed, wanting to make him feel better. “In the future, when you want to touch yourself, just lock the door like normal people.”

William’s mouth gaped open and he just nodded.

“And if you chicken out on me and don’t take me to the party...oh, I’d hate to be you, William.” Smirking, Buffy walked away.
***

“This is just like sodding television.”

“What?”

“Nothing, just talking to myself.” William smiled at Joyce who was clutching her camera. They were both waiting at the foot of the stairs for Buffy.

“Maybe she got lost?”

“Oh hush, patience, dear.”

“I’m coming down! Get your camera ready, mom!”

William rolled his eyes. “You’d think this was prom or something instead of some blasted birthday party.”

“Language, William.” Buffy took careful steps around the corner and took each of the stairs while staring at her feet. “How do I look?”

“Ah...nice.” William cleared his throat, his eyes sweeping from her curled hair to her high-heeled shoes. “Very, eh, nice.”

“Cheese, kids!”

“Cheese? Oh yeah, camera...” Swallowing, William inhaled Buffy’s perfume. “You smell nice.”

“Thank you,” Buffy said, laughing sweetly. “You look nice too.”

“Move closer! Closer!” Joyce shook her hands at them.

“Yes, Mrs. Summers.” He gave Buffy a weary look.

“You can put your hand on my waist I guess.” Buffy leaned into his side and grinned, hearing his irregular breathing
***

“I feel pretty,” Buffy whispered as William awkwardly held her during the slow song. One hand was on her shoulder and the other was on her hip.

“You look pretty.”

“Thank you.” Buffy shuffled her feet, taking a baby step towards him. “I’m so afraid that I’m going to stomp on your shoes.”

“I don’t think I’d notice.”

She laughed. “Mom did my make up. It’s an improvement, huh?” When he remained silent, she continued. “It’s not so bright, I guess. When mom was done, you should’ve seen her. She started crying and saying that I was growing up too fast.”

“You do look older.”

“Really?” Buffy beamed, deciding that he had given her the best compliment.

“Oh, yeah, you look like you should already be in high school, pet.”

Buffy sighed dreamily, “I can’t wait for high school. It’ll be so much fun, don’t you think so?”

“I guess.”

“Ok, everybody stop dancing!”

“What’s going on?” William asked, once Harmony turned off the stereo.

“I don’t know.”

“Okay people, my parents went to get more ice so we’ve got about twenty minutes!”

“To do what, Harmony?” Buffy asked.

“To play some kissing games, duh!”

“Kissing games?” Buffy squeaked. “My mom would kill me.”

“Then go home if you’re not grown up enough to kiss a boy.”

“We can go, Buffy.”

“No,” Buffy told William while glaring at Harmony. “I want to stay.”
***

“We can only play stupid Spin the Bottle,” Harmony pouted. “And we have to use this lame-o two liter bottle. Can you guys believe that my parents locked all the closets and bedrooms? Boys and girls in separate circles!”

Buffy gave William a nervous grin before taking a seat.

“I go first because it’s my birthday!” Harmony giggled and slathered on a fresh layer of strawberry flavored lip-gloss. “Ready boys?”

Buffy took a deep breath as Harmony spun the bottle. She sighed and felt a pull in her chest each time the cap passed William. She calmed down once Harmony kissed a boy that Buffy didn’t recognize.

“Ok, guys, go at it! Ladies first, start in order by first names or something.”

“Who’s next?” asked someone.

“Any As?” another piped up.

“Bs?”

“Buffy!” Harmony jumped and pointed at her. “You’re next! Remember, there must be tongue, I say so!”
***

Please no, Buffy wrinkled her nose. No, no, not Angel, she swallowed in disgust.

“Ready, Buffy?”

“No, I’m not. Harm, I think your bottle’s broken. Can I spin again?”

“No! Kiss him! I wish I could’ve.” Harmony batted her eyes at Angel.

“Then you take my turn—consider it as, like, a birthday gift.”

“If Buffy doesn’t want to kiss him,” William spoke up, “she shouldn’t have to.”

“Yes, she does,” Harmony hissed. “Buffy, you’re taking up all our time! Kiss him!”

“Yesh, do I have bad breath or something?” Angel chuckled, his cheeks turning pink. “You’re hurting my feelings and ego here.”

“Fine, fine.” Buffy closed her eyes and puckered her lips.
***

Wiping off her mouth with the back of her hand, Buffy stood. “I need something to drink.” Once her back was turned, she made a face. “That was so gross,” she said, under her breath. “Angel, ew!”

After rinsing her mouth out, she came back and couldn’t find William in the circle of boys.

“Hey,” Buffy tapped a girl on the shoulder. “Have you seen William?”

“I think he had to pee or something. You should find him and bring him back because I totally want to kiss him.”

“Uh, okay.” Buffy left the group and searched the entire house. When she couldn’t find him, she considered calling her mother but decided against it.

Maybe he’s outside, she thought, putting on her jacket and finding her purse.
***

Buffy found him sitting in the Kendall’s yard under their large tree. “I thought you ditched me.”

“How was it?”

“Nasty.” Buffy started to sit and William stopped her, saying that it would ruin her dress. “Oh, I’ll stand then, in these horrible shoes.”

“Wait a minute.” William took off his jacket and laid it on the grass.

“You’re kidding.”

“I’m not. Sit and take off your pointy shoes.”

“You’re not the boss of me,” Buffy teased before sitting and setting her shoes out in front of her crossed legs. “Well we lasted fifteen minutes before running away.”

“If you want to go back, do it.”

“You don’t wanna get tongued by one of Harm’s cronies?”

“I’d rather die. I can’t believe you kissed Peaches.”

“You and your nicknames.”

“Was it really gross or are you lying?”

“Why would I lie? It was awful. I nearly choked because he jammed his tongue down my throat.”

“Cleaning the tonsils...”

Buffy grinned, happy that he remembered. “I think he threw in a free teeth cleaning.”

William chuckled and looked at his hands. “I don’t think I’d give up my first kiss so easily.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, it’s dumb but I always had it pictured, how it would go, who it would be with...”

“You’re such a girl.”

“I know but I figure one of us has to be.” He smiled when Buffy giggled and hit his arm. “You may look like a girl but Buffy, you’re quite mannish.”

“I am not!”

“You like pink and that’s it. You never did the Barbie thing or got into those fairy tales and stuff.”

“You think you know everything, William. I like being a girl and I think I do it very well. Just because I don’t write poetry and go on and on about my feelings,” she wiggled her fingers and wrinkled her nose. “You’re too girlie-ish!”

“That’s not a word, Buffy.”

“It is now and in the dictionary underneath it, is a big dumb picture of you.”

“You’re so lame.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest and pouted. “You’re stupid.”

They watched as Harmony’s parents returned, their car’s headlights blinding them.

“The kissing’s over, you wanna go back?”

“Do you?”

“Not really.”

“Okay, let’s stay and you can tell me about your dream kiss.”

“Buffy, I don’t think so.”

“Why not? Does it...am I involved?”

“What makes you think that?”

“You’re very predictable, William and a little birdie told me information that makes me think that I may be your secret crush.”

“That’s absurd,” he said.

“Prove it’s not me then. Tell me who it is and then I want your kissing story.”

William grumbled under his breath and held his head in his hands. “Alright! I like you, Buffy.” He paused, keeping his eyes covered. “I’m waiting for you to laugh and call me names.”

“I’m not going to laugh at you, stupid.”

“That’s very reassuring.”

“Look at me and tell me how you want to kiss me. God, that sounds funny,” Buffy laughed and hit him.

“Alright!”
***

Buffy fell back on the grass, not caring about her dress. She gasped for air and her eyes watered due to her laughter. “You’re the biggest girl ever! Kissing on a Ferris wheel at night with twinkling lights and pretty music—you’re such a girl!”

William frowned, his feelings hurt. “I shouldn’t have told you.”

“Was there fireworks too?”

“Shut up.”

“Is that what you where thinking about when I caught you--.”

“Buffy! You’re so—go to hell!”

“What?” She watched in shock as he stomped down the road. “I was kidding!”

“Sod off!”

“What does that mean? William!” When he was almost to her house, Buffy jumped to her feet and tossed his jacket over her arm. “Ow!” she said, realizing that she had run out on the street without her shoes. “Wait! Wait!” Grabbing her shoes, she continued to jog with every rock stabbing her bare feet. When William was at the garage of her house, Buffy hurled a shoe at him. “Stop it now!”

He whimpered in pain and held his head, muttering more curse words.

“I have another shoe!”

“I’m stopping!” William rested against the garage door. “I think I have brain damage.”

“I hope you do!”

“You’re mad at me? You’re crazy!”

“I’m not!” Buffy threw his jacket on the floor and brushed off each of her dirty feet. “I was joking with you, you baby!”

“You know how embarrassed I was! I’m still mortified!”

“Well...maybe you should just keep your hands out of your pants!”

“I’ve had enough,” he snapped.

“Wait.” Buffy held him back, touching his arm. “I...wait.”

“What now?” he demanded.

“I’m sorry, that I laughed at you and that I made fun of you.”

“And for calling me names?”

“Yes.”

William searched her face. “You really mean it?”

“Yes.” Nodding, Buffy bit her lip. “William, you ready?”

“For what?”

Buffy pushed him against the garage door, covering his lips with her own. William seemed to be in shock; he kept his mouth closed and bugged out his eyes.

“William,” she whined, pulling back. “Work with me here.”

“I-I...”

Rolling her eyes, Buffy kissed him again, mirroring what she’d seen on her mom’s favorite soap operas. She moved her head around and tried to gain a deeper entrance. “Let me get to your tonsils.”

He laughed and was about to say that he didn’t have any when Buffy slipped her tongue in his mouth. William made throaty noises and moans as she kissed him. When she pulled back, they panted, both of their chests heaving.

“Um, we should go inside and ah...”

“Yeah, we should go inside.”

They broke apart and walked inside, pretending that nothing had happened.
***
Chapter 6 by facingthesun
Chapter 6

“So, this weekend,” Buffy took a deep sip from her straw as they headed back towards the high school, “it’s Founder’s Day.”

“I know.”

“Do you want to come with Dawn and me?”

“You’re asking?” William’s eyes grew wide with shock. “Really, Buffy?”

“Well, I figure I’d beat you and Dawn at your little game. This way, I’ll know you’re coming instead of me being tricked.”

“Would we do a thing like that?” He smiled widely, “Founder’s Day was always fun when we were growing up. It’s still the same right? The picnic and the carnival and all that?”

“Yup, it’s just bigger and more like a county fair.”

“I’d love to go with you.”

“And Dawn. Remember her, William.”

“You’re going to hide behind her, yeah?” he smirked. “That’s alright, I love her almost as much as I love you.”

Buffy’s throat tightened, “William, I...”

“Sorry,” he said, looking into the distance and squinting, “I forgot that you hated me for a minute.”

“I don’t hate you. I’ve never hated you.”

“But you’ve sure screamed it from the rooftops more times than I can count.”

“Yeah, well it just comes out so easily.” She swallowed timidly and tossed her cup as they reached the school. “If you have more problems with the girls, let me know.”

“You’ll protect me?”

“Yes,” she said truthfully, not sure if he was teasing or not. “I don’t want them slobbering all over you...I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable.”

“I see...”

“And I don’t want to be jealous, alright?” Buffy glared and stomped into the building, leaving William behind.
***

“Long time, no see. Where’s your boyfriend?”

“Anya, I see you every day and every day I have to tell you that William’s not my boyfriend.”

“Whatever,” Anya said, rolling her eyes. “Where is he? You never eat with us unless he’s not at school.”

“That’s not true! Ok, well, maybe it is.” Buffy sighed, hating that her friend was right. “William’s got a really bad cold.”

“Oh?” Willow spoke up, her eyes big with concern. “When will he be back?”

“I’m not sure. He’s been such a big baby lately, always whining and saying that he’s going to die.” Buffy laughed, “You should see him with his red runny nose and scratchy voice...”

“You totally love him!” Anya said. “You get dreamy eyed whenever you talk about him. She never did that before, did she, Willow?”

“No,” Willow agreed softly. “Do you like him now?”

“I’ve always liked him...”

“Buffy, do you like him, like him?”

“Will,” Buffy said. “You sound just like Anya!”

“Sorry, Buffy, but you do seem different when you talk about him.”

“Do I really?” Buffy stared off into the distance. “I guess I do like him. Ever since I kissed him--.”

“You kissed him!”

“Anya, quiet,” Buffy said, laughing nervously.

“Why didn’t you tell us?”

“Uh,” Buffy tried to think of an excuse. She didn’t want Willow to know that she was trying to protect her feelings. “It just slipped my mind...”

“Unslip it and tell us the details.” Anya scooted forward and looked interested.

“But, Willow, since you have a crush on him...”

“Oh, I don’t like him anymore.” Willow smiled, “There’s this new boy, Oz and he’s so smart and--.”

“Later, Will, Buffy, share, now. When? Where? Why? How?”

“Yesh,” Buffy laughed, biting her lip. “Is there anything you don’t want to know?”

“Nope. Did you like it? Was it good? Do you want to kiss him again?”

“Anya! You have too many questions!” Buffy blushed and put her hands in her lap. “It was at Harmony’s party.”

“That was months ago! You went through all of the summer without telling us!”

“Anya!” both Buffy and Willow cried.

“Sorry!”

“Okay. We ditched the party and I kissed him after we had a fight.”

“About what?” Willow asked.

“Eh, nothing. Anyway, we were standing under the outside light and he looked so...so, cute, you know? His hair was kinda standing up and his eyes...so shiny and blue. I kissed him right up against the garage. Twice. And they were both very good kisses.”

“Did you tongue kiss him?”

“Once, the last one,” Buffy sighed and ran her hands over her face. “And I want to kiss him again but it’s been forever and we haven’t even come close to more smoochies. At least he’s not avoiding me like before.”

“Before when? What happened?” Anya demanded.

“Nothing, Anya. God, you're so nosy! But ever since the party, we act kinda strange around each other. We stare all the time. I can’t help but look at him and he’s usually doing the same thing, but when I catch him, he blushes--.”

“And why isn’t he your boyfriend?” Anya asked and Willow looked as if she wanted to know the answer too.

“I’m too young to have a boyfriend.”

“You are not! You’re in high school now!”

“My mom says that I have to be at least sixteen.”

“You listen to your mom?” Anya laughed and rolled her eyes. “So, on your sixteenth birthday, what are you going to do, smother William with kisses?”

“I could. It’s a good idea, now that you mention it.”

“Have you asked your mom if it’s okay to date William? I’m sure she wouldn’t mind because he’s such a good guy.”

“Willow, I thought you didn’t like Buffy’s boyfriend?”

“He’s not my boyfriend!” Buffy said, interrupting Willow's answer to the question.

“And whose fault is that?”

“Shut up, Anya.”
***

“Mom?”

“She’s not home.” William answered and then started to cough. “She has a work thing so she took Dawn to a sitter. She left us money for take-out and movies to watch.”

Buffy nodded and sat next to him. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m going to die, Buffy. I can’t breathe, my eyes hurt, my head hurts and my nose hurts. It’s still red, isn’t it?”

“Just like Rudolph,” she teased.

William turned his head and coughed some more. “I’m in hell, pet.”

“Maybe I should sit somewhere else, like somewhere far, far away? I don’t want your cooties.”

“Fine,” he mumbled, looking hurt. “I’ve been looking forward to you coming home all day and then you threaten to leave me.”

“You’re such a baby," she said. She smiled and was happy that he wanted to spend time with her. "So, after I change, you wanna watch a movie?"
***

"You're squeaking. Stop it."

"I can't help it," William whined. He sat with his head back. "Does this help?"

"No," Buffy giggled as he stuffed a Kleenex in each of his nostrils. "You look dumb when you do that."

"But you can't hear anything, yeah?"

"But you can't breathe at all, right? Take them out of your nose."

"Ok, ok." He crumbled the tissues into little balls and added them to his pile that was on the coffee table. "Oh, my head, it’s stuffy too."

"Yesh, you should pick just one thing to whine about."

William rested on the other end of the couch, propping his head up with a pillow. "I can't get comfortable."

"Are you positive I shouldn't sit somewhere else? I could go on the floor so you can lie down?"

"No, no," he said, shaking his head. "I'll shut up. I just wish I could prop my head higher. I can’t breathe at all when I lay down flat."

Buffy watched as he grunted, constantly changing how he was sitting. “William! You’re annoying me!”

“Sorry,” he pouted. “I can’t...”

“Come here you big baby!”

“Why?”

“Just looking at you is making me feel uncomfortable so come here!” He gave her a funny look and inched closer. Buffy glared, upset that he seemed afraid of her. “I’m not going to bite you. I want to make you feel better.”

“How?”

She rolled her eyes out of frustration and patted her lap. “Put your pillow here and that way I’ll be near you; you can lie down and you can breathe. Bring your blanket too.”

“Buffy...?” Once she shot him another glare, he did as she suggested, awkwardly resting on her thighs.

“Better?” she asked, softly once he was curled up. “Comfy?”

“Yes, Buffy,” he answered in a whisper.
***

Buffy thought he was sleeping because he stopped grabbing a tissue every few minutes. She ignored the movie and slowly put her hand in his hair. When he didn’t stir, she combed his hair with her fingers.

“Buffy?”

“Oh, sorry.”

“No, don’t stop,” he pleaded, once she hid her hands. “It felt really good.”

“Ok.” Swallowing, she gently scratched his head. “I was afraid you wouldn’t like me messing up your hair. I’ve noticed you spend a lot of time on it, tons more than I do on mine.”

“You notice?” he asked, making a goofy grin.

“Oh yeah. It always looks real nice, William.” Buffy played until all his hair was standing up in spikes.

“That tickles, pet. You’re giving me goose bumps,” he whispered as her fingers ran against the back on his neck.

“William, can I ask you a question?”

“I guess so.”

“Are you mad that I kissed you that night?”

“No, are you?”

“I just was confused because we’ve never talked about it and...and we’ve never kissed again.”

William looked ahead and asked carefully, “Would you like it if we kissed again?”

“Yes,” she said softly.

“What did you say?” He turned on his back and looked up at her. “I couldn’t hear you; my ears aren’t working right either.”

Buffy sighed and licked her dry lips. “I want you to kiss me. I think about it all the time and I want to know if you’re even going to do it anytime soon. It’s driving me crazy.”

“I think about it all the time too but I was scared and didn’t know how you’d react. I’d kiss you right now if I wasn’t sick,” he said shyly.

“I wouldn’t mind, I think staying home is kinda fun.”

William looked at her, as if asking silently if she was serious. “Buffy?”

“It’s up to you.”

“My nose will run on you.”

“Blow it first and wipe it real good.”

“You’d really get sick just because you want to kiss me?”

She nodded bashfully.

“Ok,” William said, grabbing a handful of tissues. “Give me a minute.”

Buffy waited patiently, getting nervous. She gave him a little smile as he sat up and looked at her with his messy hair and red nose.

“We don’t have much time.”

Buffy nodded, swallowing. “Come closer?”

He scooted until the sides of their bodies were flush. “I never thought this would be so nerve-wracking.”

“Me neither.” She turned towards him and parted her lips slightly. “If you don’t do it first, I will.”

“Right, right.” William put his hand on the side of her face and grinned before pressing his lips lightly to hers. He kissed her repeatedly with his mouth closed. Buffy slowly relaxed, pulling him in against her. She sighed as his hands tangled in her hair and whimpered as he experimentally opened his mouth wider, causing her to do the same. Smiling, she hummed, as his tongue came in contact with hers. Their tongues mingled nicely, making Buffy feel like kissing William was natural and so much better than Angel’s sloppy first kiss.

Buffy was lightheaded as he gently closed his mouth and pulled back.

“Buffy?”

“Yeah?” she said, her eyes still closed.

“Did you like that?” he whispered.

“I feel tingly. It’s a good feeling and my heart feels like it’s gasping...that’s nice too.”

“Does that mean I can kiss you more often?”

“Maybe we should wait until you’re better.”

“Oh, sure,” he said, squeezing her into his chest once more before letting her go.

“When we’re at school...can you hold my hand, William? I see people doing that and...I want us to do that.”

“I would like that too.”

“Should we order the pizza now or do you want to lay down some more?”

“I’d like to rest.” William fluffed his pillow and put it in her lap. “I feel so much better, Buffy.”

***

“You asked him out!” Dawn bounced and squealed. “I knew you would crack sooner or later!”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Buffy moved her head left to right, trying to see around her sister. “Hey! I’m watching TV here!”

“Are you excited?”

“No and it’s not a date. It’s him, you, and me going together,” Buffy stressed, pointing at Dawn. “You should be on my side, Dawnie. Why do you support him so much? What he did to mom...”

“I told you so many times I thought there was a mistake with the mail. I’m sure he sent something and it got lost.”

“He could’ve called.”

“But you weren’t talking.”

“You were on speaking terms with him, weren’t you? Why didn’t he call to comfort you?” Buffy felt her heart race as old anger rose to the surface. “He was practically her son and he didn’t come back, not even once...not before or...after.” She took a deep breath, tears forming in her eyes.

“Buffy, you told him not to come back,” Dawn said softly. “I heard it...when you guys had that fight. You told him to never see us again.”

“I was mad, but he should’ve known I would’ve let him see mom. I’m not that bad of a person, am I?”

“No.” Dawn sat with her on the couch and pulled her close for a hug. “He doesn’t think you’re bad at all. He loves you.”

“I know,” Buffy whimpered. “He told me today.”

“Really?”

She nodded, crying harder. “He just said it and...God, I’ll always love him, Dawnie.”

“Duh,” her sister replied with a laugh. “Do you think I’m stupid or something? Yesh, Buffy.”

Laughing, Buffy pulled back and reached for a Kleenex. “Is it that obvious?”

“Buffy, it’s always been obvious, for as long as I can remember it’s been, ‘Buffy and William: super couple.’ That’s probably why I so don’t understand why you aren’t with him.”

“Things just went bad between us. I thought he should do something and when he refused, I did something bad that hurt his feelings. Then he did something equally bad...there was screaming and accusing and he left.” She sniffled and bit her lip. “And you know the rest. When he ignored mom and didn’t come to her funeral; that just...I want to forgive him, really Dawnie, but I don’t think it’s going to be easy.”

“Have you even tried, Buffy? Maybe you should talk to him instead of pushing him away all the time? Ask him why he didn’t come back when mom was dying and figure out what happened with all those stupid ‘some things.’ Have you guys even said that you’re sorry? Holy crap, who’s the counselor here? Maybe they should give me your job.”

“Funny, Dawn, but there’s more to my job than just butting into people’s lives.”

“Yeah right,” she snorted, “but I’m not butting in. I’m your sister, I’m supposed to be like this and William, he’s like my brother...oh, ew. Strike that, incest is bad.”

“Dawn!” Buffy laughed, “I get what you’re saying and I know you mean well.”

“So, you won’t kill me when I refuse to go to the Founder’s Day stuff with you and William?”

Buffy glared at Dawn for a bit, but then her eyes softened. “I guess not. I need to be alone with him. I need to talk to him.”

“Finally. Think it took you long enough to figure that out?”

“Shut up, Dawn.”
***
Chapter 7 by facingthesun
Chapter 7

“Buffy...”

She shivered; goose bumps spreading along her arms.

“She’ll be home soon.”

“I locked the screen door; she’ll have to get one of us to let her in.”

William laughed, his warm breath drying where he had licked on her neck. “You think of everything.”

Buffy moaned and played with the hem of his t-shirt as he kissed his way back to her mouth. Humming, she mirrored his movements, teasingly brushing their lips together.

They groaned in unison as the doorbell rang.

“Not yet,” Buffy whimpered, deepening their kiss but moving out of his lap.

William followed her out of the room and they took tiny steps, clinging to each other, desperate to keep kissing. “Wait, wait, we’ll fall down the stairs,” he gasped, ripping his mouth away. “Can you let her in?”

“Yeah,” Buffy nodded, trying to catch her breath, “should I tell mom that you’ll be in your room for awhile?”

“Shut up, Buffy.”

She laughed, running to let her mom into the house.
***

“Where’s William?”

“Upstairs, I don’t think he could hear the doorbell ring,” Buffy lied, opening the screen for her mother.

“I need to talk to him as soon as possible.”

“Why? Oh--wait! I’ll get him!” Buffy ran past her mom and turned before reaching the stairs. “Is it something bad?”

“No, well--just tell William to come downstairs.”
***

“William, you smell good...kinda like my lotion...the lotion that has recently gone missing from our bathroom....”

“Shut up, Buffy,” he sang, making his way to the kitchen.

“I stalled for as long as I could.”

“Thank you, but do you know what this is all about?”

“Not a clue.” She sat at the table and patted the seat next to her. “Mom, we’re waiting!”

“Do you think she knows...about us?”

“I doubt it. We’re very sneaky.” Laughing softly, she kissed his cheek.

“Oh, stop that, Buffy,” he whispered, shifting closer to her.

“One more.”

“Just one, a quick one.”

“William? Buffy?”

“Um, mom...” Buffy pulled away from William, licking her lips. “Mom...”

“Mrs. Summers. I...would now be a good time to ask if I can date your daughter?”

***

Making her way down the hallway, Buffy couldn’t help but peek into William’s classroom. Instead of standing at the head of the class, he was in the middle, surrounded by students.

I’d kill to be in there, she thought. She smiled as he read out of a book, his face twisting with emotion.

“God, he puts on quite a performance...”

“Um, Ms. Summers?”

Buffy turned, startled by the boy’s voice. “Yes?”

“You’re blocking the door and I need to get back to class.”

“Oh, sorry, let me open it for you.” Laughing as she let the student into the room, she held up a hand to excuse the disruption. She tried not to blush as William and his kids gave her a strange look. “Um, carry on,” she said sheepishly, making sure the door closed soundlessly before heading to her office.
***

“William, your uncle is moving in across the street.”

“I have an uncle?”

“It’s your father’s brother and he seems like a very kind man...his name is Rupert.”

“You aren’t sending William away, are you? That kiss you saw, it was just a once in a lifetime deal, right, William?” Buffy elbowed him and pleaded with her mother. “Don’t make him go across the street and live with some guy that he doesn’t even know! You adopted him, didn’t you?”

“William is not going to move, his uncle would just like to see him and visit with him, Buffy.” She exhaled in relief and gave William a little smile but her mom continued to speak. “However since you two want to date each other, there will be some new rules around the house.”

Buffy wrinkled her nose, “What kind of rules?”
***

"That's impossible!"

"No, it's not, I don't want you home alone and there's nothing you can say that'll change my mind."

"So, if you go to get more cereal, William has to stand outside until you come back? That's stupid! What if it's raining?"

"Do you want to date him or not? All I ask it that you avoid being alone together when I'm not home...one of you can join me when I leave the house."

"Buffy, it doesn't sound so bad," William whispered. "Mrs. Summers, we'll be good."

"Mom, don't you trust us?"

"Of course I do, I know you and William are good kids, but that will not stop me from taking the locks off the doors..."

"It doesn't sound bad, huh?" Buffy said, mocking William and giving him a dirty look. "William needs a lock on his door, mom."

"Buffy," he hissed, his face turning red. "I would like to be able to lock my door...for the sake of my privacy..." He gave Joyce a quick glance and then focused his eyes on the table. "I won't let Buffy into my room...she's rarely in there unless we're helping each other do homework, you know?"

Buffy's mom sighed, "Just make sure that you always have the door open when you're together."

"We will, always," William promised, grinning. "Won't we, Buffy?"

"Sure, all the time."

***

“Are you not eating today?”

Buffy looked up briefly from her computer and after seeing William’s smirking face, her eyes went back to the screen. “That’s right, I have a lot of work to catch up on.”

“Spent all that time spying on me, yeah?”

“Maybe.”

“You’re really not eating, pet?”

“I forgot my lunch at home on the table.”

“Running late again? That’s not good, Buffy,” he teased, shaking his head in disapproval.

“Bite me, William.”

He chuckled, sitting in a chair facing her desk. “Would you mind if I bug you and eat in here?”

“I guess not--William, you don’t have to do that,” Buffy said once half of his sandwich was dangled in front of her computer screen.

“Eat it. You must not be eating enough because you’re so skinny. I could snap you like a twig without even trying, pet.”

“Is that right?” she smirked. “I think you’d be surprised. I’ve always been good at kicking, William, and weight means nothing when you have a good pointy shoe.”

“True, true, you don’t have to remind me, I still have my war wounds.”

Buffy grinned, pinching off pieces and nibbling on her food. “I’m kinda glad you showed up. I was trying trick my stomach into forgetting it was hungry by keeping my mind on work and my plan was failing miserably.”

“‘Kinda glad,’ to see me? I can handle that. Want some of my drink?”

“No way. We have more hurdles to jump before the cootie swapping. I have my lukewarm coffee and I’m perfectly happy with it.”

“Suit yourself, pet,” he laughed, “but I remember you being particularly fond of my cooties.”

“Let’s change the subject...so, about tomorrow, would you be shocked if I told you that Dawn’s bailing on us?”

“No, but I will be disappointed if you bail on me too.”

“William...”

“You’re backing out on me, are you?” he said, frowning. “I’ve been looking forward to this weekend.”

“Me...me too...”

“Can’t we just...for one day, can’t we pretend like we’re on pleasant terms? I don’t even need the entire two days--hell, just pick one day, Buffy.” He sighed and pleaded so quietly that she could barely hear, “Don’t let me down.”

“William, I’m going with you,” she said gently, her heart breaking at his slumped shoulders. “In fact, the reason why Dawn’s refusing to join us is so we can talk and...I think it’s a good idea.”

There was a pause and then he asked, “You mean it?”

She nodded, shyly keeping her eyes downcast. “I want us to work things out...I miss you so much sometimes.” She blinked, struggling not to cry. “I know it’s stupid but...”

“I’m here, Buffy.”

She gasped as he touched her wrist. She looked up, finding him behind her desk and staring at her intensely. “No, not really...”

“Love...”

Keeping one hand in contact with his, she reached for a Kleenex. She dabbed her eyes and blew her nose. “You’re not here how I need you or how I want you,” she whispered.

“Buffy, let me...”

Unable to stop herself, she went into his open arms. “God,” she moaned, holding him close with her fists full of tissues. Her chest ached as he buried his face in her hair and babbled incoherently about how much he missed her and wanted her back. “William,” she started to say and then the bell rang, meaning it was the end of the lunch break. “You have a class to teach,” she wiped his eyes with the driest Kleenex, not leaving his embrace, “and I have kids to see...”

“Alright,” he said, searching her eyes and pressing his lips to her temple, “but I want to see you later.”

“You will, you will,” she promised, holding her hand to his cheek. She bit her lip and sniffled before lightly kissing the corner of his mouth. “I want to see you too.”

“Oh, love,” he groaned, hugging her tightly. “If I don’t go now, I’ll never leave.”

“Go.”

“After work, okay?”

She nodded, barely pushing him back, “Go, William.” She held back a whimper as he let go of her and walked out the door. Taking a deep breath, she sat in her chair and looked up as the door opened again. “William, go.”

“I just wanted you to know that, eh...thank you, Buffy and I can’t wait for later, pet.”
***

Buffy was happy to find his door unlocked. "William?" she whispered, pushing it open and slipping into his room.

She crept towards his bed, careful not to trip in the darkness. "You awake?" Lightening cracked, causing the room to light up briefly. She shivered, hearing rain pound harder against the window. She called for him again and when he continued to sleep, Buffy quickly got under sheets.

"God, you could sleep through anything." Moving his arm, she snuggled into him until she was comfortably against his bare chest. Swallowing, she ran her hand from his waist up, never feeling so much of his skin before. "Wake up," she said, but her voice was drowned out by the sound of rolling thunder. "I'm never doing this again." Grumbling about how stupid he was, Buffy started to get out of his bed but suddenly an arm circled around her, halting her movements.

"What are you doing here?"

"Let go of me."

"It's raining?"

"Yeah and the power's been out for at least an hour."

"You afraid of storms?"

"No." Buffy squirmed, still trying to get away until the loud noises from outside made her whimper. "Okay, maybe a little scared."

"Come here. Relax," William said softly.

"William, are you going to have a heart attack?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I can hear your heart...” Buffy looked up at him from where she was resting on his chest. "I'm nervous too."

"I've never had a girl in my bed before."

"I've never been in a guy's bed before. I just thought...I'm not sure what I was thinking. The storm was keeping me awake and then I was thinking about how good it would be to see you..."

"And you came to me," he finished for her, kissing the top of her head. "I'm glad you did and that you woke me up, Buffy."

She tilted her head up, inviting him to kiss her lips. Once their mouths were fused together, Buffy melted, no longer worried about how awkward it was to be with him under the sheets. "William," she whispered, once she felt a wandering hand cup her breast.

"Sorry, sorry. I shouldn't...” His hand didn’t move, instead his fingers lightly encircled her nipple and twisted around it.

“William,” she purred, not resisting the touches and feeling shots of electricity jolt through her tank top to her skin. He was sliding down one of the straps when another flash of lightening made her jump and bury her head into his shoulder. She froze, noticing that something was poking her thigh. “Oh, my God…” she whispered, shifting towards it and hearing William moan. “Maybe I should…go?”

“No!” Once Buffy started to roll away, he caught her and held her close. “Please, please stay. I…I can’t help it but I’ll ignore it. Please?” When she didn’t answer, he covered her face with soft kisses. “I won’t do anything, I swear it, Buffy…don’t go.”

Closing her eyes, she relished the sound and feel of his lips smacking against hers.

“I love you, Buffy, I wouldn’t do anything that…”

Buffy’s eyes popped open and they stared at each other, eyes wide.

“That, eh, I wasn’t planning on saying that…”

She watched in the darkness faintly seeing the outlines of his face. “You love me?” she said, tenderly cupping his chin. “Really?”

“I…” he looked as if he was going to deny it but then he said, “I always have, for as long as I can remember. You’ve always meant so much to me.”

“Oh, wow.”

“Is it really news to you?” he said, laughing softly.

She shook her head, caught up in a dreamy state and unable to speak. He loves me, she thought, barely able to breathe.

“Buffy…are you, alright? Did I say too much?”

“William,” she said, pouring much adoration and warmth into his name. She sighed, cuddling him and wrapping her arms around him. “I can’t stay too long but I’ll be here as long as I can.”

***

“Stop pacing!”

“I can’t,” Buffy whined, keeping an eye out the front window. “He’s coming by, he said, ‘later.’”

“So what?” Dawn shrugged and then looked up from her homework. “Oh my God! What happened? Something happened!”

“Nothing happened...okay, maybe a little something. I think we’re moving in the right direction, Dawnie.”

“Yes! So, was there kissing? Hot monkey sex in your office—in the janitor’s closet?”

“No! There was...there was very nice—G-rated—holding and some tears,” Buffy sighed, trying not to smile too foolishly. “It made me think what went wrong could be cleared up, you know? And maybe even painlessly...He said he wanted me back...”

Dawn jumped to her feet, “Yay! I’m so happy for you guys!” They laughed and hugged until there was a knock at the door. “I’ll get it!”

“Dawnie, nice to see you too,” William chuckled as Buffy’s little sister nearly tackled him to the ground. “Just what did you tell her, pet?”

“Nothing,” Buffy said, looking innocent. “What took you so long?”

“Well, I have a job, you know? I had some things that had to be graded. Now, if I can get this thing off of me,” he jabbed his fingers into Dawn’s side, making her squeal with giggles, “I can take you on a little walk, if you’re interested...”

“She’s so totally interested!”

“Then she’d better gather her things and we’ll be off. Bit, don’t be surprised if she doesn’t come home for dinner.”
***
Chapter 8 by facingthesun
Chapter 8

“Hi, Mr. Giles, is William ready?”

“You must be Buffy. You can just call me Giles, dear.” Rupert Giles gave her a friendly grin and cupped her hand in his warm palms. “William has spoken volumes about you.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Come in. William’s upstairs.”

“Wow, Giles, the house looks...different.” She took slow steps, realizing that the last time she had been there was the day after William’s mother died.

“If that’s a compliment, thank you.”

“It is and you’re welcome.”

“Would you care for a drink or something to snack on?”

“Sure, I’ll just...” she pointed to the stairs and Giles gave her a nod.
***

“Are you okay?” Buffy found William staring out the window of his old room. She touched his shoulder and he turned, giving her a little grin.

“Hey, pet.”

“Hey.” He was suddenly in her arms and she rubbed his back. “William, are you okay?”

He nodded, closing his eyes and holding her tightly.

“I’m not sure that I believe you. Is it Giles? He seems nice but if you don’t like him...”

“He’s alright. I just don’t like it here. I thought over time...I don’t like it, Buffy.”

“It’s only been a few months...”

“Sometimes it feels longer and sometimes it feels like it was a few days ago, you know?”

“Maybe Giles and you could talk at my house? That way you won’t feel uncomfortable.”

“You do think of everything, Buffy. What would I do without you?”

“Don’t think about that; I’m not going anywhere. Let’s go downstairs. Giles said he was fixing me something and I could’ve sworn that I smelled cookies....”

***

“Why do I have the feeling that Dawn may lock me out of the house if we don’t make up?”

“She does have a mischievous streak. I’m positive that it’s a Summers thing.”

Buffy smiled, anxiously swinging her purse with her hand. “So, where are we going?”

“I figured we could go to the lake if you wanted to.”

“Are we running away again?”

“Maybe.”

“Okay, we can go there as long as there’s no skinny dipping.”

“Well there goes my plan. Bloody hell,” William teased. “We should just go back because if I don’t have you naked, I don’t know what to do with you.”

“Watch it, William.”

“Oh, sorry. But you know things like skinny dipping are done best at night and under the stars...”

“I agree.”

William gave her a sideways glance and then grinned, looking ahead. “If I get too annoying, just hit me, love.”

“You are kinda bubbly.”

“And nervous.”

“I thought you were never nervous around me.”

“I lied. I don’t want to mess this up.”

“I don’t want you to either but I’ll give you another chance if you do, just because I like you.”

“I’m honored, Buffy.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

They walked in silence and fell back into their old routine once they reached the lake. While William took off his coat and laid it on the grass, Buffy ran her fingers over where their initials were carved in the tree, above the marks that his parents made. Taking a deep breath, she sat next to William on the ground. “Where to start?” she asked, squinting at the sunshine that glimmered on the water.
***

“I’m opening a bookstore in town.”

“Oh, how interesting, Rupert.” Joyce passed a bowl to Buffy at the dinner table. “I know William loves books, don’t you?”

“Yes, Mrs. Summers.”

“Well,” Rupert patted his face with a napkin, “I will be looking for employees. How old are you, Will?”

Buffy wrinkled her nose, never hearing William being called by the shortened version of his name. She looked at him, but he didn’t seem to mind.

“I’m almost sixteen.”

“Would you be interested in a job? Of course, if it’s alright with you, Joyce. He would start with shelving and eventually move up to working the register.”

William’s face lit up, looking from Giles to Joyce. “I would love something like that. Please, Mrs. Summers?”

“Well...you shouldn’t work too many hours when you’re in school.”

“How does fifteen hours sound or maybe a bit more if he wants to work weekends?”

“That sounds great!”

Joyce grinned. “I guess fifteen hours would be fine but no weekends for awhile, okay?”

“Okay! Isn’t this great, Buffy?”

Buffy forced a grin. “Yeah.”

“You know, if you promise to behave and work together, I could hire another person to shelve...”

“Really?” Buffy smiled. “I get to work too and with William? Yes!”

***

“Did you like it over there?”

“No.”

“Not even a little?”

“Well, maybe a little. I liked my school and before you smirk, that was all that I liked. It was so bloody cold and everything felt...cramped. The trees were so tall that I got lost all the time. The traffic was always insane and the prices—I lived on cereal during my college years and not even the good sugary stuff.”

“And you said that I was too skinny,” Buffy snorted. “I knew you were bony. Your face is so freaking thin that I can see your cheek bones from a mile away.”

“Is that a bad thing? You always said you liked them.”

“I find them aggravating now, okay?”

“Okay,” William chuckled.

“If you hated it so much, why did you wait three more years to show up?”

“Graduate school.”

“That makes sense.”

“Then it took me awhile to get the guts to come back. Moving across the country is also something that took a bit of time…”

“You should’ve come back sooner...especially when mom died, you know?”

William sighed. “Now the fun starts.”

“Well, you can’t deny it. You should’ve done something, if not for me, then Dawn—for mom—a card, something.”

“I sent a card! Flowers with a little card for each of you!”

“I never saw any flowers or cards, William.”

“Things can get lost in the mail--.”

“You should’ve come! Why didn’t you call? I needed you so badly—just hearing your voice would’ve helped...”

William swallowed and looked Buffy in the eye. “I did. I came, Buffy,” he revealed softly. “I was at the funeral, but you weren’t.”
***

“Are you afraid of it?”

“Shhh! Not so loud!” Buffy scanned both ends of the hallway, hoping that William would stay in his teacher’s classroom and not come out too soon. “I’m only a little...scared, okay! Maybe...oh, Anya. Am I normal? What if I have a phobia?”

“A penis phobia?”

“Shut up! Don’t laugh, I’m serious!”

“Have you tried to talk to William about your...problem?”

“How I can I tell him at I’m terrified of a part of his anatomy that he’s so fond of? Anya, he loves his...thing.”

“God, Buffy, what boy doesn’t love it?”

“This is horrible,” she proclaimed, resting her forehead against her cold locker.

“Is he pressuring you to have sex with him?”

“William is the sweetest guy ever,” Buffy whined, “he would never pressure me.”

“Are you pressuring him?” Anya asked excitedly. “I knew you weren’t as innocent as you seemed--.”

“No! I’m not! I just...when the time comes, I don’t want to have a heart attack, you know? If I run out of the room screaming, it could ruin the mood...Anya!”

Buffy’s friend continued to giggle. “I sooo doubt you’ll keep your phobia for long.”

“Phobia?”

“William!” Buffy jumped, “What did your teacher want?”

“I’m right here, Buffy, you don’t need to yell.” He frowned seeing that Buffy was blushing and that Anya was wiping tears from her eyes. “Did I miss something?”

“No,” Anya answered, clearing her throat. “Buffy just told me a joke.”

“A joke, pet? It must’ve been a doozy.”

“Yeah, Buffy tell him.”

“Shut up. Don’t you have somewhere to go?” Buffy glared and continued to give Anya dirty looks until she sauntered away. “I hate her so much sometimes.”

“I see that.” William laughed, taking her hand in his. “You’ll tell me about this joke about phobias?”

“Um, maybe...it’s more of a girl thing—yeah, it’s about girl stuff, you’d be grossed out.”

He wrinkled his nose, “Maybe I don’t want to hear it.”

Buffy sighed in relief. “Tell me about your teacher. Are you in trouble? What did she want?”

William smiled proudly. “I won, Buffy.”

“What’d you win?”

“A contest. I submitted a poem and I won in the category!”

“Oh, that’s great! You didn’t tell me that you entered in anything. What did you win?”

“It was a fluke deal really and I didn’t want to get my hopes up too high but I won this,” he revealed the metal that was hiding up his sleeve. “I also get some college money. I’m going to a statewide competition next weekend in LA.”

“Oh! That’s so good! But wait—what about your birthday? It’s on Saturday...do you think I could go with you?”

“I don’t know. We’re heading up there on Friday and we’ll be back on Sunday.”

“How many people are going?”

“Just a handful. We’re staying in a hotel and it’ll be all expenses paid.”

Buffy chewed on her lip, deep in thought. “There has to be a way, William. I’m not missing your birthday. Sixteen is like a milestone. I have got to be with you.”

“Buffy, pet, we’ll see but I won’t make any promises. We’ll have to ask your mom—and don’t think up a crazy scheme.”

“Would I?”

“Yes.”

“No, no,” she grinned, putting his metal around her neck. “Tell me about your award-winning poem?”

“It’s nothing much,” William shrugged modestly, “just a little ode.”

“You’re cute when you’re humble. I don’t see it often.”

“Ha, Buffy.” He gave her a little smirk as she kissed his cheek.

“What’s your poem about?”

“Well, there are a few themes...”

“You’re even more adorable when you’re speechless and blushy.”

“Shut up, pet.”

“Why do I have a feeling I could’ve popped into your poetry?”

“Because you’re a pain, Buffy. A bloody pain.”

“Awww, you wrote something about me and it won you prizes!” She cooed, bringing him close and slipping her arms under his jacket.

“Buffy, we’re in school...”

“Not officially, class ended an hour ago. You wrote it about me, didn’t you?”

“Maybe,” he whispered, giving her a kiss; Buffy moaned, coaxing him to make it deeper.

“Tell me,” she said between kisses.

“Yes, yes, it was about you.”

“Oh, William...I love you so much.” He pulled back, leaving Buffy openmouthed and whining. “Hey, who said the kissing could stop?”

“You said it.”

“Said what?”

“Buffy, don’t ruin this for me.”

“We shouldn’t do this here.”

“I guess you’re right. Ready to run with me, pet?”

Buffy agreed, keeping up as they ran through the empty halls of the school.
***

“This spot to your liking?”

Catching her breath, Buffy nodded. “I think you’re the best boyfriend and—the best friend that I could ever—I love you, William.”

“Buffy,” he groaned, his voice rough. “I love you too.”

They leapt into each other’s arms, kissing madly while muttering terms of endearment and words of affection to each other.

“Mom...she could look out the window and...we need to go inside soon.”

William said nothing, moving them backwards from the center of driveway. Buffy let out a grunt as she was lifted and pressed against the garage door of her house. It seemed natural for her to wrap her legs around his waist.

“Oh, God. Oh, God.”

“I know, I know,” William said, unable to stop his kisses. “I want you...I love you.”

“Oh, God!”

“Shhh! Shhh, Buffy... Love you; it’s incredible...the way you make me feel…”

“Oh.” She panicked as he rubbed against her crotch but at the same time, she didn’t want him to stop. His soft whispers and caresses made her lightheaded. “William, we shouldn’t…we’re outside and Giles, he could see and…”

“Buffy!”

They froze mid-kiss and William quickly moved his hand out from underneath Buffy’s bra.

“You—you’re grounded! And William--.”

He winced, pulling away from Buffy and putting her back on her feet. “Mrs. Summers, it was my fault.”

“No, it wasn’t just his fault.”

Joyce looked at each of them, both shocked and angry. She clutched the trash bag in her hand more as William tried to causally cover his pants. “Both of you go upstairs, now.”

Buffy cringed, knowing that her mother’s serious tone was more dangerous than her screams.

“We’re so busted,” Buffy whispered as they made their way into their separate bedrooms.

***
Chapter 9 by facingthesun
Please no hate mail. Things will be clearer soon, I swear. Please review. ;)

Chapter 9

“You couldn’t have been at the funeral because Dawn would’ve seen you and she would’ve told me that you were home.”

“Well, I wanted to blend in with the crowd and…”

“She saw you!”

“Buffy—.”

“My sister—who I complained to over and over again for years—saw you and she never told me,” Buffy paused, breathing heavily. “She let me hate you and let me think that you hated mom—.”

“Wait, hold it, pet.” William tried to touch Buffy’s arm but she scooted away. “Buffy, I told her not to say anything because--.”

“You!”

“Shut up,” he frowned, moving closer, not letting Buffy get away. “You were mourning and I didn’t want to make matters worse. I didn’t want Dawnie to see me but she did and I couldn’t run from her fast enough. If it helps her case, I had to beg. She wanted to tell you very much.”

Buffy tried not to pout as she searched his eyes. “You were in Sunnydale and you didn’t see me?”

“I couldn’t find you—.”

“You didn’t look!” Buffy got to her feet and started to pace. “How could you not, you jerk!”

“Buffy…”

“Where would I be?” She gritted her teeth. “God, I want to kick you so bad, right now.”

“Thanks for the warning.” William got up so he wouldn’t be a sitting target to her pointy shoes. “Were you…were you here, Buffy?”

“Hello, Mr. Obvious!”

“We weren’t talking and you came here?” he said, softly. “I don’t understand.”

“I couldn’t go to the funeral! I couldn’t see her like that!” Buffy’s eyes filled with tears and her chin trembled. “I didn’t know where else to go and this spot means so much…”

He edged towards her, hoping that her guard was down. “Don’t hit me and please don’t kick me,” William whispered, daring to cup her elbow with his palm. “Maybe I wasn’t thinking clearly but don’t hold that against me or your sister. We were trying to do what was best and we mucked it up. I was going to call but I couldn’t so I hopped on the fist plane—I could only stay for the funeral. I longed to see you…” Buffy blinked, wetness sliding down her cheeks. “Don’t. Don’t cry, Buffy. You know I can’t stand it.”

“William,” she croaked between sniffles. “Why aren’t you holding me?”
***

“I know that I can’t stop you from having sex but I can hopefully educate you about doing it safely and if I’m lucky, you’ll both control your…urges and postpone having sex until you’re at least forty.”

Buffy shifted uncomfortably and glanced at William, who looked like he was going to be sick. “Mom…please don’t,” she pleaded. “This is way too embarrassing…”

“No, no, this is my duty as a parent. I can’t have you doing something that’ll you’ll regret. I don’t want a grandchild before you graduate.”

“Mom!”

Joyce took a deep breath and set a stack of papers on to the table. “We’ll start with abstinence and move onto contraceptives…”

“Mom, we took sex education in eighth grade,” Buffy whined.

“…and then we’ll shift into,” Joyce inhaled, looking sadly at Buffy, “teen pregnancy and just because it’s a common occurrence, I may also include some anti-drug and peer pressure lecturing just to be safe.”
***

Buffy swallowed and closed her eyes as her mother slid a stack of pamphlets across the table to each of them. “Am I still grounded?”

“No.”

“But you’ll be watching us like a hawk?”

“It may seem like it but I want you both to be able to make sensible decisions.”

“Can go in my room now?”

“Yes and William can go with you.”

“What do you mean?” Buffy said, peeking open one eye.

“Keep the door open. I won’t come upstairs but I think you and William should talk and maybe read over the literature I gave you...together.”

“Really?”

“Yes, if that’s alright with William. William?”

Buffy looked at him when he didn’t respond. “Mom, you’ve traumatized my boyfriend!”
***

“She’s a psycho. I’m so sorry. Sit. Do you hate me? Please talk to me, William. I can’t believe that she saw us.” Buffy chewed on lip, wondering if he would break up with her. “Please talk to me,” she whispered, touching his hand.

“I could never hate you.” He held both of her hands and looked up at her from were he was sitting on the foot of her bed. “Do you think we’re moving too fast?”

“I don’t know,” she said softly. “Sometimes I think we are but then when you kiss me or…” she looked down shyly, “when you touch me, I change my mind. It feels so right and I love you so much.”

“And you know if we were to get serious that we’d take every precaution imaginable, right? I’m not going to get you pregnant, I swear it. What happened by the garage…I wouldn’t have made love to you like that.”

Buffy felt her cheeks grow warm again. “William…”

“Yes, pet?”

“I…” Once their eyes meet, she lost her train of thought. When she tried to look away again, William pulled her down next to him.

“I love you,” he whispered. “I won’t do anything…I don’t want you to regret anything.”

She nodded, still feeling awkward.

“Nothing will happen unless you’re ready.”

“So, you’re ready? How long have you been…ready? How much longer are you willing to wait?”

“I don’t think what I said came out right.” He cupped her chin, “I’m as uneasy about this as you are.”

“You don’t seem like it. You’re all excited when I’m nearly peeing my pants in fear.”

“Are you scared of me?”

Buffy winced, “No—well—no.”

“That’s not very convincing, Buffy. What did I do to make you afraid of me?”

“I’m not afraid of you!” she insisted.

“You just fear me. Different word, same meaning, pet.”

“I’m trying to explain!”

“Well, do it. I’m listening.”

“You’re mad at me.”

“I’m not,” he said tightly. “But I won’t lie; my feeling are hurt.”

“I’m sorry. I’m being so dumb.”

“Buffy,” William pleaded. “Whatever it is, tell me. I thought you wanted me too. Am I misreading you?”

“No! I just...I can’t do this right now!” Buffy’s heart felt like it was being stabbed, seeing the confusion and pain in William’s eyes. “William, William,” she said, giving him a hug. “I can’t talk right now, not with the door open. Please don’t be mad at me. I’ll come to your room tonight and I’ll tell you everything. I don’t want to hurt your feelings. I love you, William and...I do...I want you.” Buffy kissed him on each cheek and tried not to cry. “Dream about our first time every night--.”

“Buffy,” he gasped.

“I mean it.” She kissed his mouth quickly, making their lips smack. “I think about you constantly. It’s not fear. I’m so, so, nervous but I can’t think about...doing it...with anyone else but you.”

“You don’t have to...stop, Buffy.”

“Don’t be mad at me.”

“I’m not.”

“You’ll let me explain tonight?”

“Yes.”

“Thank you. Thank you.” She moaned as his hand cradled the back of her head and pulled her to him for a breathtaking kiss. “William...”

“No more talking, pet, until later.”

Buffy nodded, responding to his kisses.

***

Buffy couldn’t help but snuggle backward, enjoying the feel of his chest pressed into her back and his strong arms around her. She didn’t want to speak; worried that it would ruin the moment.

“This...is becoming a fantastic day,” William said, barely above a whisper. “I could hold you for ages.”

She swallowed as he entwined their fingers together.

“I decided long ago, so long ago, that I forgave you. I always understood why you pushed me away and I’ll do anything to be back into your life. I miss you and it’s bloody unbearable to know that you’re living so close but I can’t be there...”

“If you always understood, you shouldn’t have cheated on me…”
***

Buffy?”

“She’s snoring.” Buffy’s hand shook as she closed the door and locked it.

“You look...is that new?”

“Kinda.” She pulled on the hem of her nightgown, making sure it didn’t go up too much as she climbed into his bed. “Can I?”

“Sure.” He held her close and shivered as Buffy ran her fingers along his bare chest. “Buffy, you were going to tell me something?”

“Yeah.”

“Take your time.”

She kissed his chest and continued to give him feathery touches until she heard a catch in his breath.

“You aren’t talking, love,” he groaned.

“You can touch me.” She wiggled and whispered in his ear, “I like that nickname.”

“Giles...he said you might. I’ve been watching a lot of...English television with him.”

“Stop holding your breath.”

“Buffy...”

Biting her lip, she moved one of his hands so it rested on her breast. When he started to caress her, she closed her eyes and nudged the bulge in his pajama pants with her leg.

“What are you up to?”

“I’m explaining, William.” She kissed him passionately and gasped in his mouth as she cradled the weight of her body between his legs.

“Buffy,” he moaned, shifting his hips slightly. “Are you trying to kill me?”

“No.”

“Then what…”

“Remember when I told you that I wasn’t a reader girl?”

“Vaguely, my head…it’s very foggy at the moment.”

“I lied. I read a lot.”

“Good for you.”

“Shut up,” she laughed, kissing down his neck.

“Buffy, may I?”

“Um, yes.”

“Yes?”

She nodded and grunted as he bunched her nightgown at her waist. “The books I read have a lot of…love in them.”

“You mean romance novels?”

“Yeah, and they are good and stuff but…”

“What?”

She took a deep breath as William’s hands explored her naked top half. Her gown kept creeping up until it was at her armpits.

“It’s up to you but…can I see you, Buffy?”

“William…”

“Never mind, pet. The blankets can stay up if it makes you more comfortable. You were talking about romance novels, yeah? I can’t wait to see where this conversation is heading,” he said with a laugh.

“Well—okay, this is bugging me.” While keeping the covers up, she pulled off her nightgown and dropped it on the floor. William’s eyes bugged out as she settled back on top of him. She grabbed each of his hands, “Hold me.”

“Alright,” he swallowed.

“In books, no matter how romantic they are…when they describe…you know…”

“What?”

“You know!” she whined. “Holy Crap, William! This is hard for me to explain! My face is red isn’t it?”

“I didn’t think I was nagging you. I thought you wanted to talk but you were all over me.”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed, “You complaining?”

“No, not in the slightest. My girlfriend is topless in my bed—things are going very well.”

“Shut up,” she laughed softly. “Don’t tease me.”

“Out with it.”

“When I said that I was afraid, it wasn’t because of you…completely. If you’ve been noticing, I freak out whenever you know what gets in the picture.” Before he could ask, she snaked a hand between them. “You know,” she hissed, pressing her palm against his erection.

“Oh.”

“Yes.”

“You’re afraid of…”

“Please don’t laugh or make fun of me!” She took her hand away so she could hug him with both arms and bury her head in his chest. “In books—they are never nicely described! They’re red and demanding and—throbby! Girls—our stuff is described with pretty metaphors like flowers and—don’t think that I’m stupid! I’m just a big baby that’s all!”

“Buffy.”

“No! I’m dumb, don’t look at me!”

“Buffy,” he said, gently sitting up and moving her head so she had to look at him. “I don’t think you’re dumb or stupid or a baby.”

“You’re just saying that so you can look at me when I’m topless,” she pouted, keeping their chests glued together as she wrapped her legs around his waist.

“No, no, I understand.”

“How can you? Your…thing is your best friend!”

“No,” he laughed. “You are. It’s my second best friend.”

“You’re teasing me again!”

“I love you, Buffy. You’re amazing.” He continued to smile, kissing her forehead. “But really, what kind of books are you reading, love? Does Joyce now about this?”

“Oh! Don’t tell!”

“You hide them?”

“Just like you hide your dirty magazines.”

“You saw those?”

Buffy laughed, nuzzling his face with her nose. “I love you too.”

“Just not all of me?”

“That’s right.”

“You could’ve fooled me a few minutes ago.”

“That was nice, wasn’t it?”

“Oh, yes.”

“Are you upset? Did I hurt your feelings again?”

“I’m alright.”

“You sure?”

“I still have my girlfriend topless.”

“Cute, William.”

“You know, Buffy, we have awhile before your mom gets up at the crack of dawn and tomorrow’s Saturday…”

“What are you saying?”

“We don’t have to sleep,” he offered with an innocent shrug.

“That so?”

Smirking, he laid her on her back. “Can’t I take a peek?”

“What? This will be some sort of ‘I’ll show you mine if you show me yours’?”

“That,” he swallowed, “sounds nice.”

“I really don’t want to be afraid of you.” Buffy put her hand on his face and kissed him tenderly.

“I’ll keep my red, throbby bits to myself—unless you want to be acquainted…”

“Maybe later? I think I need to take tiny steps. I just admitted my problem, William.”

“Okay, pet.”

“William…”

“Please, Buffy?”

“I guess.” Buffy threaded her fingers through his hair, pushing his head to her chest.

***
Chapter 10 by facingthesun
Chapter 10

“It’ll work.”

“It won’t and we barely got out of the sex talk without being grounded until the end of time.”

“You’re so dramatic,” Buffy laughed. “Anya and I figured everything out. Her mom goes to Los Angeles every weekend and they’ll take me with them and bring me back home. It’ll be flawless. Mom won’t find out.”

“Those sound like some famous last words.”

“I’ll ask to go, saying that since reading all the crap about teen pregnancy, I’ve seen the light and I need a weekend away from you to think about the seriousness of our relationship. She’ll be so proud; she’ll have to agree and then days later, you come in and tell her about your poem and the writing deal.”

“What if she calls to check on you?”

“I’ll give her Anya’s cell number and Anya will make up some kind of story.”

“Oh, so we’re relying on Anya?” William asked, rolling his eyes. “My confidence in this plan is lifting as we speak.”

“You don’t want me to stay in the hotel with you? Just think--no mom, no reason to whisper… And it’ll be your birthday--.”

“God, Buffy, it sounds bloody fantastic. But if we get caught she’ll murder me. She’ll kick me out, I know it. I like Giles, but to live with him…” He cringed and shuddered. “I like where I live.”

“I like where you live too but I want a weekend with just for the two of us. It’ll be fun. I’ll shop while you’re writing and then we’ll do stuff together in between.”

“But you’re forgetting that it’s considered a field trip and if I’m caught with a girl in my room, I could get kicked out of school!”

“They wouldn’t kick you out; you’d probably just get some form of suspension.” She laughed as William’s eyes bugged out. “It won’t happen.”

“I hope you’re right.”

“I know that I’m right.”

***

William’s body tensed up and Buffy turned to look at him. “I had to stick that in.”

“I didn’t cheat on you.”

“You just had sex with the first girl that came your way.”

“That’s not true.”

“Oh, I forgot. There was alcohol involved--.”

“You said that if I left that it was over.”

“Well…”

“Ha, can’t deny that, can you?”

“Shut up.”

“It didn’t mean anything.”

“That makes it better,” she said, laughing bitterly. “It’s better to be emotionally unattached to whatever you’re sticking your dick into--.”

William made a noise that was similar to a growl and his hold on her became tighter. “We could’ve made it work. I would’ve done the long distance thing, but no, you had to piss me off. I just wanted to go to a good school and you didn’t give a damn about that. To say that I had to stay or we were finished…”

“You could’ve stayed in California.”

“You could’ve come with me.”

“William, I can’t even imagine… What if I left, what would’ve happened to Dawn?”

“We would’ve come back. I’m not heartless--how many times do I have do tell you that?”

“I still can’t believe that you could find someone else so quickly. It was as if you forgot about me completely…”

“Oh, fuck that--.”

“Well, it was a stupid thing to do!”

“I know and I’ve said I’m sorry so many times. But you kissed Angel; shall I throw that into your face?”

“If you want to, but I didn’t have sex with him so it won’t get you very far.”

“You rammed your tongue down his throat to get back at me?”

“Yes. I wanted it to be the last thing you saw before you left me.”

“Damn it, Buffy--.”

“What? Do you think that was a mean thing to do? You had drunken sex with Harmony!” Buffy twisted in his arms so she could glare at him better. “Harmony! Gross, William! I hope you were sprayed down and then tested for every STD on the planet! Sure I was unreasonable! The things that I said--they were immature and just…stupid but I never wanted you out of my life!”

“It was an offer that I couldn’t refuse,” William said, quietly. “Giles was so kind to offer…he really thought I could be something…”

“I thought so too--.”

“I felt that I had to go and I went. I regret hurting you and using Harmony, and all I can do now is hope that you’ll forgive me. And if you won’t…”

“William,” she sighed, seeing tears in his eyes. She went into his arms again and hid her face in his chest, not wanting to see him cry. “You know that I will, William. I love you so much, I’d be crazy not to.”

“I feel like such a wanker…bawling like an idiot…”

“You’re not. You’re still sweet, so sweet.”

“Even though I’m a cheating bastard? Wouldn’t that be an oxymoron?”

“I broke up with you. You didn’t cheat--even if it still hurts like hell.”

“Buffy…”

“You’re off the hook for the mom stuff, alright? The other, I’m still smarting over but I want you back, William. I want to work through this stuff. I miss you.”

“You mean it?”

She nodded, wrapping her arms around his neck. “Just tell me that you love me.”

“Buffy--God, the word love doesn’t even begin to describe what I feel for you.”

She closed her eyes briefly, savoring his words. “William, you ready?”

“For what?” he said, with a sniffle.

She laughed softly, before cupping his face and kissing him.
***

“Can I say goodbye to him, mom?”

“Make it quick, Buffy, or he’ll be late.”

“I will. Besides, Anya and her mom will be here soon to pick me up.” Buffy ran out the front door and found William making his way down the driveway with his suitcase in hand. “Don’t go yet!”

“I wasn’t.”

“I’ll see you in an hour,” she whispered. “Mom’s looking out the screen door--don’t look at her!”

“Sorry. Sit in the lobby and I’ll get to you as soon as I can.”

“I can’t wait.” Buffy grinned widely and kissed his cheek. “This will be the best weekend.”

“If we don’t get caught.”

“We won’t.”

“I’ll be worrying the whole trip up.”

“Don’t think about that,” she paused and leaned into his ear, “think about waking up next to me in the morning. We’ll have breakfast in bed and…I didn’t even pack something to sleep in at night…”

“It’s going to be a very uncomfortable walk to school now.”

“I need to go. Can’t have you being late.” Buffy hugged him and watched until he disappeared down the road.

***

Buffy lightly brushed her lips against William’s; she then pulled back, biting her lip. “Can we just start over?”

“How much over?” he whispered, still in shock that Buffy had kissed him.

“I don’t know… How about friendly dating?”

“I’d love that.”

“Starting now?”

“Whenever you’d like.”

“Okay, starting now then.”

“Buffy, would I be out of line if…I kissed you? Would it be out of our friendly bounds?”

She answered by kissing him again. They moaned in unison as they explored each other’s mouths for the first time in years. Buffy leaned into him, desperate to keep him close and determined never to let him go.
***

“We did it!” Buffy jumped up from her chair, seeing William. “I told you we would!”

William grinned, picking up her bag and wrapping an arm around her. “We have to hurry, love. The group is having dinner at the restaurant next door. Want me to get you something?”

“Sure.”

“You’re alright with staying in tonight?”

“I’ll take a bath and watch TV until you show up.”

“I may play sick so I can come to you sooner.”

“That would be really nice.” Buffy beamed as he opened the hotel room and held the door open for her. “Oh, wow that’s a big bed.”

“I know,” William said, blushing. He put their suitcases side-by-side. “I’ll be back within the hour.”

“I’ll miss you.”

Smiling, he edged to the door. “Bye, Buffy. I’ll be back.”
***

William smelled the sweet mixture of her soap as soon as he opened the door. “Buffy?”

“You came back soon.”

He came around the corner and gasped, seeing Buffy get into bed with her hair up and in nothing but a colorful pair of panties. “I told them a had the flu…”

“What’d you bring me? It smells good and I’m starving.”

“Pizza. Don’t eat it all because we need to share.”

“Is that what all sick boys eat?”

“Yup.” He put the box on her lap and kicked off his shoes. Quickly, he tossed his jacket and shirt. “Scoot over, pet.”

“You’re going to keep your pants on?”

“Yes.”

“Oh,” Buffy said, handing him a slice of pizza.

“Don’t pout,” he laughed, nudging her side.

“It’s only fair since I’m half naked.”

“But if I take off my pants, I’ll be all the way naked.”

“You don’t wear underwear?” she gasped.

“That’s none of your business, sweetheart.” Looking down shyly, he tossed a few napkins in her direction. “Don’t talk with your mouth full.”

“Yesh, I thought I was wigged out before…”

“The pants are staying on until you take them off.” William laughed as Buffy’s eyes bugged out again. “I’m serious too.”

She closed her eyes as he kissed her temple.

“I got a Coke from downstairs. You want to share it with me?”

***

“It’s getting dark.”

“I’m getting hungry.”

“Pick a place and we’ll have dinner.”

“I say fast food of some sort.”

“Why? I want to take you somewhere nice, Buffy.”

“William, we’re all tearstained and dirty. I don’t care where we go but...”

“You would mind--never mind.”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Tell me. Would I mind what?”

“I could cook you something at my place but I don’t know if you’d be interested.”

“You cook?”

“When you’re a bachelor for a long time, you cook or have nothing to eat.”

“I don’t mind.”

“Really?”

She shrugged, “Just as long as you don’t pressure me into sleeping with you.”

“Oh like that would happen,” he laughed.

“You could.”

“And get kicked in the head? I think not.”

“You were always a smart one…while until it came to Harmony.”

“I’m sorry, Buffy.”

“I know.”

“But you’re still going to bug me about it?”

“Of course.”

“Don’t you have a little black book of boys that I could peek at? You must’ve shagged the whole town once I was out of your hair.”

Buffy sat up and reached for her purse.

“Buffy? Did I make you mad at me already? I was joking.”

She put her bag on her shoulder and stepped out of his embrace. “There hasn’t been anyone else for me.” Avoiding his eyes, she held out her hand and helped him to his feet. “It’s been you or no one.”

“Buffy…I can’t…”

“You can’t believe it? I know it’s pathetic but I can’t help it. It’s cliché but I’ve never been able to get you out of my head…you’re always on my mind.”

“Buffy--.”

"Let's not get into it now. I'm not exactly proud of the fact that I'm a sex-starved old maid." Before he could say anything, Buffy pulled him away from the tree. "I'm hungry. What are you making me for dinner, William?"
***

“Pinch me,” Buffy hummed, nuzzling her face against his chest. She giggled as William’s fingers gave her nipple a little tweak. “This is so nice.”

“It is.”

“What are you watching?”

“Nothing really. Just flipping through the channels.”

“Maybe you should turn it off?” she whispered, sitting up and letting the sheet fall to her waist. “It’s late.”

“It’s not really,” William said, swallowing. “It’s still early.”

Blocking his view to the TV, Buffy pulled out the clip that was holding up her hair. “Please turn it off?”

“Okay,” he said softly. Once he pressed the power button on the remote, they were left in darkness. The room was silent except for the loud air conditioner.

“William?”

“Yes, love?”

Buffy settled back under the blankets, draping a leg over William’s body. “If things got serious between us…would we be ready?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well…would we have some sort of…protection?”

“I have condoms, Buffy.”

“Oh, God, really?”

“Yes,” he said, running his fingers over her hair. “It’s best to be prepared…”

“You’re right.”

“And I think I would be ready.”

“No, really?” Buffy teased, giving the muscles of his arms light touches.

“What about you?”

“Maybe.”

“Maybe?”

“Definitely maybe but it would be a shame to let this opportunity go to waste, right? I mean, we’re all alone and horny kids should never be left alone.”

“True,” he chuckled.

Resting her face on her hands, Buffy smiled up at him. “And it would be a memorable birthday present, don’t you think?”

“The best.” He cupped her face and Buffy wiggled up until their lips could touch.

“But then, it’s not your birthday yet,” she said between kisses.

“Sod the date.”

“That word is still so funny.”

William continued to kiss her, rolling her on her back and covering her body with his. “No matter what, it’s up to you.”

Buffy hissed as he made a wet trail to her breasts. “Wow…”

“Is this okay?” he asked, licking her nipple with the tip of his tongue.

“Oh, yeah.”

“You taste good, pet. Thought you’d be soapy.”

“William,” she groaned, threading her fingers in his hair. “Watch where you’re going…”

“I plan to.”

“William--that’s not what I meant!”

“Let me, Buffy. Please?”

“But…”

“It’ll feel good.”

“Did you know what you plan on doing…down there?”

“Nope,” he smirked, getting closer to her underwear. “I just want you moaning.”

“You don’t need to be down there for that to happen.”

“If you don’t like it, I’ll stop. Say no or kick me and we’ll go back to cuddling.”

“You mean it?”

“You have my word, Buffy.”

“Sure you don’t know what you’re going to do?” Buffy whimpered as he pulled down her underwear.

“I’m going to touch you.” William slid a hand between her thighs, trying to part where she had them glued together. “I’m going to show you that I love every inch of you.”

“You aren’t nervous?”

William picked up one of her hands and put it on his heart. “I’m terrified but very excited.”

“Me too.”

“Just kick me,” he reminded, kissing the top of her hand before spreading her legs.

***
Chapter 11 by facingthesun
Happy Easter! I give you schmoop. Review, please.

Chapter 11

“You’ve never?”

“No. Is that weird?”

“I’m not sure.”

Buffy gasped as the tip of William’s finger slipped inside of her. “I thought only boys touched themselves. I pretty much ignore down there.”

“How does it feel?”

“Weird.”

William moved to lie at her side. “Just relax and if something feels good, tell me and I’ll keep going.”

Buffy nodded, holding on to his free arm as he slowly explored her depths. Minutes later she was squirming, finding it natural to move her hips in time with his hand. “William,” she hissed, pushing her forehead into his shoulder. “Stay there please. Oh my God.” She closed her eyes tight, surprised that he seemed to know exactly what to do as he made long strokes that rubbed against her clit and ended with shallow pokes into her opening. “Oh God.”

“Tell me what to do, Buffy.”

“Oh--just don’t stop. Oh God--William!” She squeezed his arm hard as her body arched and started to spasm. “Oh, oh,” she managed to say while breathing heavy. Rolling over, she pulled William close, wanting him to hold her until her breathing was steady again.

“I’m guessing that was good?”

“That was…I see why you’re locked in your room all the time.”

Laughing, William kissed her face and ran his fingers down her spine. “I’ll have you converted in no time. You’ll never leave your room when we get home.”

Buffy smiled, brushing her lips against his. “I don’t know about that, maybe I’d just lock myself in your room.” She hummed as their kissing continued. No longer feeling self-conscious about her nude body, she wove her bare legs with his clothed ones. “God, I love you.”

“Buffy,” he moaned, once his erection had become unbearable. “You’d better stop wiggling on me like that.”

“Oh, sorry. You okay?”

“No, I feel like I could die, Buffy.”

“Oh, eh, is this the part where I face my fear?” Biting her lip, she looked at the front of his pants. “It hurts?”

“The zipper is…uncomfortable.”

“I guess it would be unfair if I didn’t…but when I pass out, don’t be offended.”

“Buffy, you don’t--.”

“Shhh.” She took a deep breath before unbuttoning the clasp of his jeans. “Happy early birthday, William.”

***

“I’ll try to throw something together. If I had known in advance, you’d have a four course meal waiting for you.” William unlocked the door and let Buffy walk in first. “Can I take your jacket?”

“No, thank you.” Buffy didn’t want to stare as William took off his coat, revealing the tight shirt that he was wearing underneath, so she looked at the interior of his home. “This house, it’s...it looks bigger than it ever did before.”

“That’s because it’s practically empty,” he smirked. “I have only a few belongings so I decided to spread everything out to at least kill the echo.”

“If you need some junk, I have a garage full of stuff. I bet just Dawn’s stuff alone could pack this place to the max.”

“No, no, less is better. This way when things get too dusty, I can just blow on a few items instead of having to actually get out a rag and polish. It won’t look too dirty.”

“If you say so. You were always trying to get out of doing chores.”

“Unless I had something to buy and I wanted the money,” William shrugged, guiding Buffy into the kitchen. “Take a seat.”

“Do you own real plates and silverware?”

“Yes.” He opened a cabinet and pointed. “Ha, pet.”

“How often do you use them?”

“Hardly ever,” he said in the same proud tone. “Looky here.” As he gathered ingredients from the nearly vacant pantry, he showed off a mountain of paper and plastic eating utensils.

“Cute, William.”

He grinned, “You knew I had them.”

“Yup.” Buffy tapped her fingernails on the counter and swung her feet as they hung from the barstool. “This is neat.”

“What is?”

“The new and improved kitchen. It’s nice. Very different from how I remember it. Your house is always changing and mine is always...not.”

“Not changing can be just as good. I like that home stays constant.”

“You see my house as home?”

“Yes,” he said. “I could even quote a Hallmark card by saying that home is wherever you are...but I won’t.”

Buffy felt her cheeks get rosy. “Good because that would be corny.”

“You’re right. Try this?” William turned pointing a wooden spoon at her and cupped his hand underneath it to catch any sauce that might fall. Buffy wrinkled her nose slightly and gave him a suspicious look. “God, Buffy. Try it.”

“Don’t spill any stuff on me, I’ll kick your ass.” Feeling awkward, she opened her mouth and let him spoon-feed her. “Mmmm,” she licked her lips and started to wipe her face but William was faster, brushing her upper lip with the pad of his thumb. “Um...”

“I made a mess.”

Their eyes met shyly as he caressed her cheek.

“William...”

“Sorry.”

“This is weird.”

“I missed this.”

Buffy smiled, putting her hand on his and kissing his nearest finger. “Me too.”
***

She continued to kiss him, trying to ignore his open fly. Making her way down his neck, she caught a glimpse of his penis as it curled against his stomach. Gasping at his size, she felt her heart speed up.

“Buffy, you okay? Don’t look so afraid, love.”

“I’m not.”

“You lie.” He rolled her on her back and searched her face. “Give me your hand?”

“Why?”

“I want to...maybe it’ll make you more comfortable? It could be a stupid idea but,” he stroked her hand and kissed her cheek, “I know you always make me feel better. Maybe I could have that affect on you too?”

Buffy couldn’t help but smile, touched by his hopeful expression. "You do, William. You make me feel so..." She struggled to think of the perfect word and gave up. “I just love you very much.”

“I love you too.” He threaded their fingers and inched them closer to his pending erection.

“Do you think you could just guide me in the right direction?” she whispered. “I need...um, guidance.”

He nodded, pressing her hand between the open zipper of his pants. “Stay calm, Buffy.”

“You’re the one who looks like he’s going to explode.”

“I hope so,” he joked. His soft chuckling coming to an end as Buffy ran her fingers down the length of him. “Not so bad, right?”

“Not so bad.” Taking a deep breath, she pulled his pants down his hips. “Like I imagined...but uh, bigger but still reddish and...it’s throbby, right?” When he didn’t answer, she continued to experimentally touch him and marvel at how he fit in her hand. “I’m kinda wondering if you’ll fit inside of me...” Buffy’s eyes grew wide, feeling him twitch at her confession.

“Buffy,” he pleaded in a deep voice. “Let me...” William covered her hand with his and showed her how he wanted to be touched. “Please?”

“Okay.” With her hand circled, she moved up and down his shaft. His moans and groans encouraged her, letting her give in to curiosity. Her free set of fingers ran over all the skin they could reach, spending most of their time at his inner thighs. “How am I doing?” she asked, moving down to reach him better and allowing her warm breath to blow against his abdomen.

“Very...nicely.”

Buffy smirked while placing soft kisses around his bellybutton, proud of herself and her newfound ability to make William squirm and babble. This is kinda fun, she realized silently as he began thrusting into her hand. Once his body tensed, she looked up at him, ready to ask if he was okay, but her attention was brought back between his legs. “Oh,” she said, struggling to keep her stroking constant as he started to come.

“Buffy.” William pulled her up once the spurting stopped and used a corner of the sheet to carefully wipe off her stomach. He called her name again and brought her against his chest. “Oh, love...”

She listened to his fast heartbeat as he stroked her hair and covered them with blankets.

“You aren’t talking to me.”

“That was messy.”

“What?”

Buffy snuggled into his side and looked up at him. “But not bad, fun even.”

“Really?”

“Yup.”

“Good.” He grinned and gave her a quick kiss. “That was the best birthday present ever.”

“Is it past midnight?”

He nodded, looking at the glowing red digital clock. “Just a tad.”

“All that, and your birthday hasn’t even started.” She kissed him again and deeper than before. “Yum...”

“You tired, Buffy?”

“A little. How about you?”

“I could sleep.”

“Okay,” she yawned. “When do you need to leave tomorrow?”

“By noon.”

“Oh, that’ll give us plenty of time.”

“To do what, Buffy?”

“Oh, I think we’ll come up with something.” Smiling, she rolled on her side.

“I love you, Buffy.”

“Mmmm, love you too.” She wiggled back as he curled up against her back. “So much...”

***

“Sorry, about the lack of table.”

“This works.” Buffy twirled the spaghetti on her fork and took her first bite of the homemade meal. “I like eating on the floor and coffee table is a great little table.”

“You like it?”

“It’s very good. Yummy.” She caught his eye and smiled before eating more. “I was starving.”

“Sorry that I kept you out too long.”

“Next time we’ll bring a snack.”

“Next time. I’m looking forward to that.”

There was an awkward silence and they both played with their food.

“So...why did you become a counselor?”

“Mom. I filled in and then they kept me around. It’s crazy because I’m not exactly qualified but the kids like talking to someone younger and so far I haven’t received any complaints.”

“You use those damn leaflets? I hated those things.”

Buffy smiled widely, “Sometimes. They’re very...informative and effective.”

“Sure, because they totally changed our minds,” William laughed. “A week later I was saving my pennies for condoms and not the latest best-selling novel. I couldn’t have cared less about my bloody book collection.”

“Well, we never did drugs, right? There’s one win for mom and her informational packets.”

“True, true. Never got you pregnant either which was against the odds with all of that award-winning, mind-blowing shagging that went on.”

“Are you trying to make me blush?”

“Just giving a friendly reminder, I guess.”

“William, there’s no way in hell that I could forget. What do you think gets me through the night? I still think about you before I go to sleep. Every night.”

“Buffy...”

“Oops.” She felt unseen muscles between her legs respond to his voice. “I said too much. Now I’m really blushing.” She put down her fork to rub her warm cheeks. “Let’s talk about something else. Anything.”

“It is unbelievably flattering to hear you say such things about me.”

“Well, it would be different if I wasn’t so unbelievably in love with you. I thought it’d die down eventually but nope, I’m still head over heels.”

“Pet, those aren’t words to tell a guy you just want to be friends with. It could put the wrong idea into my head...it could make do the unthinkable.”

“Such as?”

“Carry you upstairs and never let you go. Make love to you for ages to compensate for lost time.”

“That,” Buffy pushed her plate away, not able to eat any more, “would be moving too fast. Way...way too fast.”

“You’re right.”

“Maybe I should go now?” With her plate and empty cup in hand, she started to get up. “There’s no way we can go back to causal conversation now.” On her way to the kitchen sink, she was not surprised to hear William walking behind her. “I’ll see you tomorrow though.”

“You’re right,” he muttered again, under his breath.

“Thank you for dinner and —and everything.”

“Thanks for not kicking me.”

Buffy swallowed, walking away to get her purse. Before she could get out the front door, William was there and opening it for her.

“I won’t mess this up, Buffy. I want you back and when you are—when you’re mine again—I’m not letting you go, I swear it. You’ll be my girl.”

Buffy took a deep breath and went through the screen door. When it slammed shut, she turned and put her hand on the divider between them. “Haven’t you been listening to me, William? I am yours.” He tried to open the door but when Buffy shook her head, he put his hand against hers. Even with the screen, Buffy could feel the warmth of his palm. “I’ve always been your girl.”

“Buffy, wait--.”

“No.” She turned on her heel and gasped as William stopped her halfway across the street. “Please...it’s too soon.”

“To do what?” he said, bringing her close. “Just let me kiss you goodnight, pet.”

“Okay.”

“Thank God,” he laughed softly, teasingly brushing their lips together and causing them both to moan. “I would’ve died, my love.”

“You’re so dramatic.”

“I’ll be around first thing in the morning.”

“I’m looking forward to it.”

“I wish we still lived together. Hell, I wish I could have you in my bed tonight. It’ll be bloody painful knowing that you’re thinking about me too.”

“Too soon.”

“I know. What are my chances for tomorrow?”

“Slim to none.”

“Darn,” he chuckled, nuzzling her cheek with his nose. “I should let you go...”

“You should.”

“It’s hard.”

“It’ll be okay, William.”

“You sure?” he teased.

“Yes.” Buffy stroked his cheek before pushing him away. “I love you, William.”

“Love you more, sweetheart. Let me walk you to the door?”

“Alright.” She let him take her hand and they walked slowly the rest of the way to her house.

“I doubt you have to look for your keys, kitten. We’re being watched. There’s a nosy little sister at eleven o’clock.” William waved towards the window and there was movement behind the curtain.

“You want to come in?”

“No, I’m sure you have gossip to tell Dawn. But if you get lonely tonight...”

“Your bed will be the first one I’m hopping into.”

William beamed, knowing that she was teasing but he didn’t care as he gave her cheek one last kiss. “Nighty night, Buffy.”
***
Chapter 12 by facingthesun
Chapter 12

“I saw kissing--tongue kissing!” Once Buffy opened the door, Dawn was jumping around her. “You came out of his house! Oh my God, I want to know everything!”

“Really? Too bad I’m never talking to you again,” Buffy said casually as she walked past. “I wonder what’s on TV?” With a small smirk, she sat on the sofa and ignored her sister.

“What did I do?”

“Think about it, Dawnie.”

“Okay...” She crossed her arms and was silent for a few minutes. “Can I get a hint?”

“No.”

“Well, it must have something to do with William, right? Oh,” she gasped. “Did he tell you about the funeral?”

“You didn’t even need a hint. Good job.”

“Don’t be mad at me! It was his fault! He-he made me do it!”

“So, if William told you to jump off a cliff, would you?”

“If it saved me from a Buffy beating? Sure.”

“Like I’m really that bad. But Dawn, lying to me is not going to make me happy.”

“You never asked so, technically, I didn’t lie. I just...withheld information.”

“Well, now I’m withholding information from you,” Buffy said before sticking out her tongue. “And here I had all these juicy details...”

“I’m sorry!”

“Good. Be sorry. I like it.”

“Just tell me if you’re back together?” Dawn sighed and sat at a safe distance. “You definitely look back together.”

“And the spying? Not cool either, Dawn.”

“Yesh, can I do anything right?”

“You’re a first-class pest.”

“Oh, well, there’s something,” she replied, rolling her eyes. “If you never forgive me, will I at least get an invite to the wedding?”

“Of course, just so you’re obligated to bring a present--.”

“You think you’re going to marry him!” Dawn clapped her hands and giggled. “That’s wonderful! Let’s go dress shopping--.”

“Dawn! I was just kidding!” Buffy couldn’t help but laugh. “We aren’t getting married--.”

“Not yet, anyway.”

Buffy and her sister exchanged smiles. “God, that would be wonderful, huh?”

“Totally!”

“But it’s not happening anytime soon--hell, we just decided to date a few hours ago--.”

“You’re dating?”

“Dawn--.”

“Just tell me, please?”

“Okay, but from now on, no more secrets. I mean it.”

“None. Zip. No secrets for me.”

Buffy turned off the TV and motioned for Dawn to come closer. “He made me dinner, Dawnie!”

“No!”

“Yes! We sat on the floor and it was just--gah--I’ve got my boyfriend back and it’s such a good feeling...”
***

“Buffy, wake up. Rise and shine, pet.”

Buffy slowly came out of her slumber to the feeling of William’s wandering hands and his whispers in her ear.

“Good morning, gorgeous.”

“Mmmm, nice nickname. It is a good morning.” Not opening her eyes, she stretched her body so it brushed against him. “Happy Birthday. Do you feel older, Mr. Sweet Sixteen?”

“Not really.”

“What time is it?” she asked, shifting slightly from where she was sleeping on her stomach to give William a kiss. “How long until you have to go?”

“Got a few hours. That’s why I woke you.”

“Thank you.”

“No problem,” he chuckled as Buffy scooted herself into his arms. “Couldn’t have you sleeping in until noon.”

“That’d be a waste of time. Precious time that could be used doing...other things, like, uh, watching Saturday morning cartoons and…” she moaned as William kissed her deeply.

“Kissing?” he suggested with a grin.

“Yeah, that’s definitely an option.”

“Need a few more...options?

“No, I can read your mind.”

“Oh? Should I be frightened? Especially since your knee, being where it is...”

“Oh, I won’t do anything like that.” She nudged him between his legs and wasn’t surprised to hear him groan. “Even though your thoughts, they’re dirty William.”

Without denying her words, he pulled the sheet down to expose her breasts. “Buffy, you’re a beautiful vision to wake up next to. I watched you sleep for at least an hour because I couldn’t find it in my heart to wake you. You looked so bloody peaceful...” He touched her bare skin lovingly and gazed into her eyes. “See, those aren’t dirty thoughts, but when I’m pleasantly reminded that you’re naked and I’m naked...”

“Everything goes downhill to dirtiness?”

“Filthy. Impure.” He kissed her temple and ran his fingers along her stomach. “Smutty, even.”

“Oh, now all that makes me want to give you my body on a sliver platter...”

“But you wouldn’t go away empty-handed,” he said with a smirk.

“Is that some kind of pun?”

“Could be.” As their kissing continued, one of his hands traveled lower and lower until it was nestled between her thighs.

“Maybe you should, uh...” she let out a held breath as a finger slipped in her wetness, “condom?”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” she whispered with a nod. “I want you, William. I want you to, ah, make love to me.”

***

Buffy was up early, pacing in front of the window, keeping her eye on William’s house.

“Anxious, much?”

“Shut up, Dawnie.”

“Maybe you should pick him up for a change? Take something from the kitchen and repay him for the breakfast he’s been bringing you daily. I bet if you left now, you could catch him topless,” Dawn sang. “Oh, doesn’t he usually sleep naked?

“That’s a really good idea--Dawn, how would you know that he sleeps naked?”

“Um...”

“Dawn!”

“Well, there was this one time where I walked into your room and--.”

“You have got to be teasing! What did you see?”

“Uh...”

“Dawn!”

“Ok! Let’s just say I got an eyeful. He was all sprawled out and--God, he’s...wow.”

“Hey!”

“I’m not blind! Sure he’s like a brother but he’s really not, and he’s a major hottie.”

“He is, but--.”

“He’s your hottie, I know that. Duh, Buffy. Now go and surprise him.”
***

The moment she rang the doorbell, Buffy felt like running away. I’m so stupid, she thought, and it’s so freaking early...

The door opened a crack and Buffy’s jaw dropped. Dawn’s right, he’s definitely...wow.

“Buffy?” William stepped out a little more, holding a towel loosely at his hips. His hair was wet and water droplets were still clinging to his chest.

“Uh...hi. I...breakfast?” Buffy squeaked, shaking the box of Froot Loops in front of her blushing face.

“You brought me a box of cereal?”

“Yeah and I’m just now realizing how stupid it is to do so,” she said with a nervous laugh. “I didn’t want to interrupt your...shower. I should go back home.”

“No! Wait, come in.” He opened the door and invited her inside. “Please? I’m so happy you showed up, pet.”

“Okay.” She clutched the box of breakfast food and struggled with finding an appropriate place to keep her eyes. “Do you always come to the door in a towel and,” she swallowed, “dripping?”

“Only on special occasions.”

“Do it more often and you’ll be popular with the neighbors in no time.”

“Can I take your coat, love?”

“Um, no. You just use both hands to keep that towel up, mister.”

William continued to smile, “Are my toes that exciting?” He looked down to where her eyes were focused and wiggled his toes.

“Just when I’m trying not to oogle.”

“Oh,” he said with mock disappointment. “I thought they were handsome little devils.”

“William, don’t you think you should run upstairs and get dressed?”

“Sure you don’t want to help me?”

“William.”

“Alright, alright.”
***

Buffy’s heart beat wildly as she listened to William open the wrapper. As she gave him soft kisses and touches, she could vaguely see him putting on the condom. Soon after, Buffy felt his hands back on her body, sending shivers and sparks through her at the same time. Minutes later, they rolled on the bed, letting their bodies comfortably fit together. Taking a deep breath, she straddled his waist and wiggled her hips back. “You’ll have to...”

Nodding, he positioned his erection to her opening and watched in awe Buffy slowly took him inside.

Grimacing, Buffy panted and tried to ignore the pain as his penis stretched her to new limits. “Oh, ow.” Overwhelmed, she lowered her upper body and buried her head in William’s shoulder.

“Buffy?”

“Take over, William.”

Holding her to his chest, he rolled them over and covered her face with kisses. “I need--Buffy...”

“Go, go,” she urged. “I’m okay.”

They gasped in unison as William experimentally thrust his hips. “Buffy,” he moaned, once they were moving in time and at a steady pace. “I...”

“I know,” she answered, pulling him in for a line of kisses. “Love you.”

“Buffy...”

“I love you, William. Just don’t stop, okay?”

“Buffy, I don’t think…”

“Oh,” she said, recognizing that he was about to come.

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be.” She kissed and caressed him until his body recovered from orgasm.

“I’m sorry, Buffy. I just…sorry.” He rolled out of her arms and tossed the used condom away.

“Hey, I didn’t think anything bad happened.” Once he sat up, she crawled to him. “I liked it--.”

“Don’t lie, you didn’t even come. I got too excited and now...I’m taking a shower,” he grumbled, leaving Buffy alone.

***

“Sorry for the peep show.”

“If that was a peep show, I demand my money back.”

“Good morning,” William said, kissing the top of her head before sitting next to her. “Did you find everything okay?”

“Milk in fridge, bowls in cabinet and spoons in drawer.” She slid a full bowl towards him and took bites out of her own. “Not even difficult.”

“You’re up early. Did you sleep alright?”

“Just antsy and overly excited to see you,” she said, playing with her food. “I hope I didn’t--.” Buffy smiled as he kissed her cheek. “Ew,” she giggled. “William, not while you’re chewing.”

“Sorry,” he said after swallowing. “I just had to.” William cupped her face and continued to brush his lips against her. “Come on. Kiss me, Buffy.”

“But, I’m eating and breakfast is a very important meal. The most...”

“Pet...” He turned her head so she was forced to look at him. “I’ll beg.”

“Please do,” she said with a smirk. “Beg me, baby.”

“Buffy,” he said playfully. “Please, my love?”

“Fine, force me why don’t you?” She gave him a quick kiss and licked her lips. “Satisfied?”

“Almost.” He slipped off the barstool to hold her close and kiss her deeply. Once they were panting, he slowly pulled back. “I can’t get enough of you, Buffy. I went all that time without and now...”

“I know,” she snuggled into his arms and inhaled his scent. “God, I feel like a horny teenager. Who cares about Founder’s Day? Let’s just stay here and make out.”

“Please, don’t toy with me.” He groaned, “I know you’re kidding but joking like that will only make me--.”

“Sorry. No more joking, more smoochies.” While they kissed, Buffy stood and let William guide them away from the kitchen. “William,” she gasped as they tumbled onto the sofa and fingers danced up her thigh.

“Sorry,” he said, putting his hand on her knee. “Better?” She nodded as William licked and planted open kisses along her neckline. “Love you, Buffy. Let me show you...”

“Oh,” she moaned as he settled between her legs and rubbed against her crotch. Her breathing instantly became heavy and a wave of warmth spread throughout her body. “Oh, oh.”

William mumbled incoherent words and moaned as Buffy played with his hair. “Please push me away before I do something stupid.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m so close to throwing you over my shoulder and taking you upstairs.”

“That would ruin our Founder’s Day plans.”

“True but it’s tempting, yeah?”

“Oh yeah,” she agreed, giving him a hug.

“But it’s too soon?”

“Yup.”

“Right.”

They continued to lie on the couch with their limbs tangled. “But let’s not get up for awhile? This is nice,” Buffy whispered, enjoying the weight of his body on hers. “I need this.”

“That’s a brilliant idea, sweetheart.” Grinning, he pillowed his head in her cleavage and daringly rested his hand on her breast.

“Comfy?” she asked with a laugh.

“My hands, they have a mind of their own. Forgive them.”

“Cute.” Buffy kissed the top of his head and closed her eyes. “Love you too, William.”
***
Chapter 13 by facingthesun
Chapter 13

“When will you be back?”

“Don’t know; the bus won’t leave until five.”

“Oh.” Buffy watched as William filled his pockets and got ready to leave. He came out of the bathroom fully dressed and she was still wrapped in only a sheet. “I thought you were going to leave earlier so we could celebrate your birthday?”

“We’ll see.”

“William, don’t be this way.”

“I can’t talk now. I’ll be late.”

“Okay.” She pulled on his discarded shirt from the day before and walked to him. “Just so you know, even if you’re upset, I had a great time. I thought you were great.”

“I need to go...”

Stepping on tiptoes, Buffy held his chin in her hands and gently kissed his lips. “I can’t wait for the next time.” She wrapped her arms around his neck, causing her shirt to hike up. "Don’t be disappointed,” she pleaded.

“Buffy...”

“I know you need to go.” Sighing, she brushed her lips against the smooth skin under his ear. “I wish you didn’t have to leave me and I’m still cranky that you were stupid enough to lock the bathroom door. I was going to join you.”

“In the shower?” he croaked. “Seriously?”

“And we didn’t have breakfast either.”

“I messed everything up, didn’t I?”

“No, no,” she frowned. “I was only making it clear that I would give you a fun-filled day if I had the chance.”

“I’ll give you a call around two thirty.”

“I’ll be sure to be in the room.”

“Buffy...I’m still sorry.” He held her close and snuck his hands under her shirt. “It wasn’t how I planned. The timing seemed so...off.”

“But you don’t regret it, right? Would you take it back?”

“No,” he said, looking her in the eyes. “Not at all, Buffy.”

“I was so worried for a minute,” she admitted. “I didn’t want mom to be right. If we were to break up after our first time...”

“That’s crazy.” He ran his fingers in her hair and whispered, “I’m embarrassed. I didn’t think I’d lose control--hell, I didn’t have any bloody control--.”

“Oh, William, it's okay...”

“I hate it, but I truly need to run, Buffy.”

“Alright, have fun and win me some more prizes.”

“Will do, after all you are my muse.” He smiled weakly and kissed her cheek. “I’m heading back as soon as I can get away.”

***

Buffy woke up from a light sleep with a smile on her face. “Hey. Did I snore?”

“You don’t snore.”

“Dawn seems to think differently.”

“You passed out, pet.”

“I didn’t think I’d do that,” she admitted sheepishly. “Maybe I got up too early for my own good. Did you sleep too?”

“No. I watched you.”

“Really?” She yawned and scratched the side of her head. “You must’ve been bored.”

“Not at all, you’re so beautiful. Could watch you for hours and never get tired.”

Buffy felt a familiar tug in her chest. “Look who’s talking. You’re gorgeous.”

“That’s a nice thing to say. I remember when I was just kinda cute.” With hazy eyes, William grinned before nuzzling her stomach with his face. “Always thought you were breathtaking...so lovely. I had a crush on you before I fully knew what the word meant.”

Her eyes stung, touched by his words and soft caresses. “Oh, William...”

“Loved you too and had no idea what it was. I just knew there was something about you--the cute little blonde who wore too much pink...hell, it probably helped that you were the only person that’d talk to me. God, Buffy, just think about it. You’re all my firsts. First friend, first kiss, first love...I could go on and on.” A noise escaped from the back of her throat as he pushed up her shirt and drew circles on her bare skin. “Always thought you’d be my one and only...to know I’m that for you...” He took a deep breath before lightly kissing above her belly button.

“It really boosts the ego, huh?”

“Of course,” he snorted, running his fingers along the band of his pants. “I’m a small step away from becoming conceited.”

“You’re already smug.” Smirking, she ran her fingers through his hair. Deciding he was too far away, she sat up and curled her torso around his head.

“Buffy?”

“Couldn’t reach you,” she explained, pulling off his shirt and dropping it on the floor.

“I thought—you said it was too soon, didn’t you?”

“I changed my mind. It’s stupid to wait any longer—William, honestly I don’t think I can. I want you and, ah, so very badly.”

“We should be upstairs and in my bed,” he whispered.

“I’m comfortable.” She lay back down and smiled once they were face to face. “How about you?”

“Just a little discomfort down south.” William looked her in the eye, asking for silent permission. When she continued to grin, he worked on freeing her from her top. His hands grazed over her bra before he unlatched the tiny hooks in the back. Letting out a quiet moan, he feasted his eyes on her bare chest. “Perfection,” he whispered, taking a minute to decide what he should do first.

“William,” Buffy whined, not liking the gap between them, “William...” With a grunt, she crushed their mouths together. Noises erupted from her throat as his fingers explored her breasts but their mingling lips muffled each sound. “Oh, my God.” Buffy closed her eyes as he made a wet trail down her body.

“I’m not going to rush this. I may keel over in the process, but it’d be a bloody shame to hurry.” As he spoke, William worked on the clasp of her pants. With the zipper down, Buffy raised her hips, letting him slide them off. “Got to make it worth your wait.”

Buffy nodded, beside herself and dizzy with anticipation. Her body was on fire and she longed to have his weight back on top of her. Reaching blindly, she opened the fly of his jeans. “How’s that discomfort now?” Biting her lip, she searched his face before peeling his pants to his knees.
***

Buffy was late and at two thirty in the afternoon, she was running to the hotel room as fast as she could go, weighted down with shopping bags. Once she burst through the door she jumped, seeing William watching television. "William! What are you doing here?”

“You need help, love?” He took her bags and put them at the foot of the bed. “Your mom will have no doubt that you’ve been shopping all weekend, Buffy. Think you got enough?” he asked with a smirk.

“You came back!” Buffy grabbed and hugged him tightly.

“I said I would, didn’t I?”

“I thought you were going to mope and avoid me.” She pressed her cheek against his back and sighed heavily. “I’m so glad you’re here, William.”

“I was coming back, I swear,” he said, confused by her relief. He turned in her arms and Buffy buried her head in his chest. “Buffy?”

“I know what you said, but the way you acted this morning, I wasn’t so sure.”

“Oh, pet, I--.”

“Don’t say you’re sorry anymore, it’s annoying me.” She gave him another squeeze before motioning him to sit. “Let me show you what I bought. How did the writing go?” she asked, while going through the sacks.

“Good, I finished early and claimed to be sick again. I won’t be surprised if my teacher rushes me to the hospital later. She thinks I’m dying.”

“So what’s wrong with you? What big lie did you tell her?”

“Um, a few things, all flu-like symptoms.” William lounged on the bed until a flash of pink caught his eye. “What...oh, those are nice.”

“You think?” Her eyes sparkled as he went through her new underwear. “I hate to break it to you, but they aren’t for you. I don’t think they’d fit you, William.”

“Okay,” he smirked. “What is for me then?”

“I couldn’t wrap anything, so, just close your eyes.”

“Buffy, this is too much. My arms are going to fall off.”

“You’re just weak, William.” Laughing, she put the last present in his lap. “Happy Birthday!”

“Buffy,” he gasped, seeing the pile of gifts ranging from his favorite movie on videotape to new shirts. “Thank you, pet.”

“I’ve been saving up money for awhile. I had to get everything that I knew you wanted.”

“That does explain the fancy unmentionables. You know, right below the books and above the movies, I’m certain a Buffy fashion show was on my wish list.” Carefully placing his things aside, he peeked at the goodies that Buffy bought herself. He took a deep breath, seeing more lacy undergarments.

“You act like you’ve never seen my underwear before,” Buffy said, taking the bag away. “You’ve even seen me naked; what makes them exciting anymore?”

“Is that a real question?” he asked, looking as if she were crazy. “It’s all thrilling to me. It’s how you wear them; how they make you look and how they’re taken off.” He patted the spot on the bed next to him, motioning her to join him. “I love the presents, Buffy,” William said, once they were sprawled out on the bed.

“You’re welcome.”

“You’ve given me so much already,” he mumbled, tipping her chin up and giving her a kiss. “That’s why I took this morning so badly. I wanted to, ah, give back but--.”

“You shouldn’t have locked yourself in the bathroom. You could’ve done that thing with your finger--I liked that very much--but it doesn’t matter now, let’s move on. We can have dinner and come back to try on clothes. Then, we can try again until we get it right. I’m willing to try over and over until it’s perfect.”

“Over and over?”

“We’ll have all night and tomorrow morning until we check out,” she said innocently. “I’ll be ready if you are...if you think you can last...” His eyes narrowed and before he could say anything, she laughed and hit his arm. “Yesh, William, sensitive much?”

“Why you little--I’ll give you something to giggle about.” With a playful growl, he tickled her sides and brushed kisses on her face.
***


“Don’t,” he croaked as she lightly touched his erection. He crawled to her on all fours and kissed her deeply. Amongst their kissing, they worked together to bat away the leftover clothing.

Buffy squirmed once cold air reached the wetness between her thighs. Not wanting to wait anymore, she pulled him down with all her might, forcing him to squash her underneath his body.

“Buffy...”

“No.” She hugged him with her legs and guided him to her entrance. They caught each other’s eyes and gasped together once their bodies interlocked.

“William,” Buffy hissed as her eyes fluttered. “Oh, William.” Her fingers dug into his back as they panted, not moving and still in shock from the initial pleasure of being intimately connected once again. Her heart burned, her toes curled and she felt like crying. “I...”

“Yes, yes,” he nodded. William shared her expression as he smoothed her hair and kissed her lower lip. With their bodies so close, he barely rocked, slowly moving up and down. “Please don’t cry.”

“Overwhelmed. Sorry.”

“It’s alright,” he said, giving her another kiss and shifting so he could snake a hand between them. His touches coupled with their gentle thrusts made Buffy whimper and tremble. “Come on, come on,” he chanted. “I know you’re close. Let go for me.”

Unable to speak, Buffy gasped as William’s whispers coaxed her to climax. She clung to him and held his head to her chest as he found his own release. “William,” she panted, “that-that...”

“Good?”

“Just a little,” Buffy said with a laugh.

“You lie.” William nuzzled her nipples with his cheek and grinned up at her. “I’d say it was bloody amazing.”

“You would,” she snorted.

“Guess I have to try harder next time.”

“Yup.”

“As you wish.”

“What is that supposed to mean—oh.” Her eyes widened, feeling that he was hard again.

“Like that?”

She hummed and nodded as he slipped in and out of her depths, “Yes, very much.”
***

“How’s yours?” Buffy leaned into William and peeked at his desert.

“You want a taste?”

“Yes, please.” She opened her mouth, letting him spoon-feed her. “Yum. Now your turn.”

“That’s really good.”

They sat side by side in the same booth at a fancy restaurant. They came for dinner but after seeing the prices, they could only afford two pieces of cake.

“We should have desert first from now on,” Buffy announced cheerfully.

“Where are we heading after this?”

“Don’t know, since I spent too much on your presents.”

“We could go to McDonalds and I wouldn’t mind, Buffy.”

“Least you got some first-class birthday cake, right?”

He nodded, wiping his face with a napkin. “Can I have more of yours?”

“Sure,” she said, ready to feed him again.

“I may not even be hungry after this.”

“Especially if you eat mine too.” Buffy laughed, accidentally getting chocolate on his face. “Oops. Let me get that.” Holding his face, she gave his cheek a little lick. “Want more?” she asked innocently as William stared at her.

“Definitely not going to be hungry after this.”

“You saying we should go directly back to the hotel?” She took a bite of cake and licked the spoon suggestively.

“Yes,” he said, clearing his throat when Buffy casually rested her hand on his thigh.

“I totally agree with you, William.”
***
Chapter 14 by facingthesun
Chapter 14

“Bye-bye celibacy,” Buffy hummed as she sprawled out on William’s body. She ran a finger up and down his chest as she listened to him breathe.

“Sure you won’t miss it?”

“You have to ask? Silly, William.”

“Does this mean you’re keeping me around?”

“You’re not going anywhere and if you do, I’m going to be on your heels.” She scooted up and kissed his chin. “We’re meant to be together. I feel so much better now that you’re back.” She smiled as William cupped the back of her head and pulled her in for a longer kiss. “Damn, you’re a great kisser,” she moaned between the tender brushes of his lips.

“Was taught by the best,” he replied with a smirk, leaving more kisses down her neck. “I think we missed the picnic, Buffy.”

“I never liked them much anyway.”

“Hungry? I only have leftovers.”

“Love leftovers.”

“Cold pizza, alright?”

“Sounds yummy.”

“Pet, you’ll have to let me up.”

“No.” Buffy lavished him with more caresses and touches with her mouth. “Busy.”

“Buffy,” he said playfully, sitting up and gasping as Buffy adapted to his new position by wiggling in his lap. “I’m starving. Hook your legs ‘round my waist?”

“Why?” she asked, even though she instantly clung to him.

“We’re going upstairs after a short stop in the kitchen.” Grunting, he stood with Buffy in his arms.
***

“Sorry about my, eh, roaming hands,” Buffy said innocently, letting William get into the elevator first. As the elevator went to the floor of their hotel room, she tried not to laugh at him as his face twisted in discomfort. “Do you have the key? I’ll open the door for you.” Grimacing, William pulled it out of a front pocket in his pants and placed the key in her palm. “On the positive side, I’m not afraid of your penis anymore.”

“Just open the bloody door.”

Buffy swallowed, hoping her comment wasn’t the reason why his blush was becoming shades darker. She wanted to make him laugh but he looked even more troubled after her attempt at making a joke. “William...things just got out of hand,” she said, locking the door behind them. “Maybe I took it a little too far...I’m sorry.”

“You nearly had me wetting myself in a fancy restaurant! One minute you’re playing it innocent and the next, you’re crazy! The things you were doing to that sodding spoon—how did you learn how to do that?”

“What do you mean? Don’t yell at me! I just licked it clean!”

“Yeah and it nearly gave me a heart attack!”

“Maybe you should keep your mind out of the gutter!”

“It’s very difficult with your hands in practically in my pants!”

“Well, fine! See if I ever touch you again!” In a huff, Buffy grabbed her plastic bag of clothes and stomped into the bathroom.

***

“Welcome to my bedroom.” Keeping a tight hold on Buffy, he let her look around the room. “Not much, just a bed and books.”

“It’s nice,” Buffy said as William placed her on the bed. “Take these, they’re cold.” She handed him their drinks and a plastic bag of food. “I think your place needs a woman’s touch.”

“You volunteering?”

“Maybe.” She crawled to the head of the bed and felt William’s eyes on her as she tossed all the pillows but two on the floor. “Are you going to join me?” she asked, sliding under the covers.

“Yeah, yeah.” Snapping out of his daze, he settled next to her. “I used to dream about you being in here with me and now that you are...damn, it’s fucking fantastic.”

“Language, William,” she teased, taking the Coke and slice of pizza he offered her. “We’ll have to kick Dawn out of the house soon so we can reenact some of my fantasies. I have millions to choose from.”

“You were always a naughty one, always keeping me on my toes.”

She smiled from ear to ear while she nibbled on her pizza. “Just around you.”

“Once we’re done eating, I want us to catch up, Buffy. From graduation on, I want to know everything that I missed.”

“Sounds like a game of Twenty Questions is in order. I want you to tell me too.”

“Of course. I’ll be like an open book.”

“I’ll be a happy reader hungry for more and more.” She shot him a flirtatious grin and kissed his shoulder.

“Want more pizza, love?”

“Not really.”

“Buffy...”

“Keep eating,” she said, getting into his lap. “I just want you close. The closer, the better.” She rested her head on his shoulder and watched his Adam’s apple bob as he chewed. After minutes of sitting, her hands started to roam, reacquainting herself with his body. “There was a time I knew your body more than my own. I could map every freckle and scar...I knew everything you liked and disliked and, ah, not just sex-wise.”

“I doubt I’ve changed much.”

“You must have. I know my tastes have changed some. For example, pink’s not my favorite color anymore. I got tired of it. I like red more.”

“That’s not too extreme of a change, love. But I must say, it’s for the better.”

“But it’s still a change. Tell me one.”

“Alright.” He finished the last of his pizza and brushed off his hands. “I haven’t written a poem since I left.”

“No?” Buffy frowned. “How is that possible? You went to school to do your writing.”

“I wrote other things but not a bit of poetry. I couldn’t.”

“You always told me I was your muse.”

“And it’s true.”

Buffy sighed and stroked his face. “I can’t help it...did you date a lot?”

“No. You want all the facts and figures?”

“Don’t break my heart. It’s fragile, William.”

“Went on quite a few dates but none of them went very far. Most didn’t even end with a kiss. And what you really want to know… I had one—a just one—serious girlfriend for awhile and her name was Dru.”

“What went wrong?”

“Called out Buffy too many times in my sleep. Talked about you too much. It drove her crazy until she left me one day.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Why? Don’t be. I couldn’t fool her or myself. Like you said, we’re meant to be. I always had a majority of my heart saved for you...”

“I dated a lot, but I wouldn’t let anyone close. I was unreasonable and overly critical. I didn’t want anyone new. I didn’t want to find your replacement. I knew you’d be back someday, but I was too stubborn to pick up the phone and ask you to come home.”

“And I was too afraid...knew I couldn’t handle you telling me to go to hell. I would’ve been crushed.”

“I wasn’t too bad, right? I think I warmed up to you pretty fast,” she said, kissing his cheek. “It was so hard not to. You’re irresistible, William.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yup.”

He grinned and kissed her lips. In the midst of their kissing, he uncrossed his legs, stretching them straight ahead and causing Buffy to sit on top of his semi-hard erection. He groaned as Buffy instantly made little movements with her hips. “You drive me crazy.”

“I love you,” she said with shining eyes, “and I plan to say it and show it until I’m blue in the face and can’t move a muscle.”
***

“Buffy? Are you done? I need to use the bathroom.”

“No.”

“Buffy,” William whined from the other side of the door. “You have the key in there. If I go to the lobby, you won’t let me back in. I really don’t want to be locked out.”

“Sounds like you’ve got a personal problem.”

“Buffy, I mean it. Come out or I’m coming in.”

Buffy didn’t respond. She was lying in the tub with bubbles up to her neck; she knew William must’ve heard her run the water for the bath. With her head back, she watched the door, wondering if he’d really open it.

“Buffy!”

“It’s unlocked, you big jerk!” Once the knob was turned, she closed her eyes and pretended that she didn’t care that he was in the bathroom.

“Buffy...”

“What? You’re in, go to the bathroom! But if you stink up the place, I’ll be so mad at you.”

“I won’t...but...”

“What?” Losing her patience, she sat up and glared at him. “Do you need to pee?” When he nodded, she pointed at the toilet. “Go then! I’ve seen you naked before. Pee!”

“I don’t want to! Not with you in here!”

“William, I’m not leaving! Pee in here or use one of the cups!”

“Okay.”

“William!” she yelled once he headed into the other room. “If you go in a cup—I’ll never talk to you again!”

“But you said...”

“Go to the bathroom! Want me to close my eyes? Look, I’ll cover my ears too. Go now.” She peeked open an eye and watched as William grumbled under his breath and quickly pulled down his zipper. “Yesh, William when was the last time you went?”

“I thought you were covering your ears—hey, you’re watching too!”

“I didn’t think you’d be peeing a freaking stream. I got tired of waiting.”

“You won’t have to wait any longer,” he said, buttoning his pants and washing his hands. “I’m getting out of your hair.”

“Good.”

“What a nice end to my bloody birthday!”

Buffy winced as he slammed the door.
***

“I didn’t want to ruin your birthday,” Buffy announced the second she came out of the bathroom. She was wearing her baby-doll style nightgown with a pair of little shorts underneath and if she were listening, she would’ve heard William gasp. His eyes peeked above the book he was reading and quickly swept up and down her body. “I don’t want to fight either,” she said, plopping on the bed and sighing heavily. “I said I was sorry but I’m not really sure what I did wrong. Sure, you got a little...excited but you never told me to stop.”

“It was humiliating. I didn’t have a jacket--.”

“I gave you my purse.”

“Buffy,” he put down his book and laughed. “How is me walking through a fancy restaurant with a pink flowery bag covering my crotch any less embarrassing?”

“Oh. I guess you have a point.”

“And the people who weren’t already staring started to look because you couldn’t stop laughing.”

“Your blush kinda caught people’s attention, too,” she grimaced. “I’m sorry, William. I was just having fun.”

“I know that, but it doesn’t mean I’m ever going somewhere public with you and your randy hands ever again--.”

“You can’t be serious!”

“Buffy--.”

“Mom just gave us permission to go on real dates and you’re going to be driving soon!”

“Buffy--.” When he cut her off again, William growled and grabbed her. “God, pet, shut up. I’m not serious.”

“You were teasing?” she asked sheepishly. “Really?”

“Really.”

“Oh. Good.”

“You should let me finish before you start shouting.” He kept his hold on her and spoke with their faces close together. “I like your outfit. Nice color.”

“I know you like red.”

“You picked it out with me in mind?”

“Duh.”

“I’m sorry I yelled at you.”

“I’m sorry I watched you pee.”

“Forgiven,” he said with a laugh.

“I’m sorry I licked my spoon in a bad way too.”

“No more sorrys, Buffy.”

“You won’t tell me why you hate the way I lick silverware?”

“No,” William said, “but maybe later.”

“Okay. So, we aren’t fighting anymore?”

“I don’t think so.” William kissed her cheek and reclined their bodies back so they were lying on the bed diagonally.

“I hate when we fight.”

“Me too.” William propped up his head with one hand while the other ran over the gauzy fabric of Buffy’s nightgown. “Your mom is going to throw a fit once she sees this. Then, when she’s done yelling at you, she’ll skin me alive.”

“It’s not like I’m going to parade around in it. It’ll be for your eyes only.”

“I like that idea.”

“Thought you would.” Buffy whimpered once his fingers gave her nipples light touches and pinches. “It’ll be hard going back home. I loved this weekend with you. I loved sleeping with you all night.”

“I’m sure we’ll find the opportunity every so often.”

“I hope so. I’ll save all my new underwear for you.”

William grinned and inched up her gown, revealing her stomach. “Buffy, I hope everything goes smoothly this time.” He kissed her stomach and slid off her shorts. “I’ll try to focus more on you.” When he sat up to take off his shirt, Buffy quickly jumped to her knees and helped him.

“We have all night,” she whispered. Buffy kissed him until his mouth felt tingly and before he knew what was happening, she was bending over and unzipping his pants. Once his jeans were open, she came back up for more kisses. They shared moans and gasps as Buffy put her hands in the back of his jeans and pushed them down.

“Buffy,” William said into her mouth as she cupped his backside and gave it a squeeze.

“Mmmm...always wanted to do that.”

With a laugh, he brought her close and guided her down to the bed so she was lying flat on her back. “You want to keep this on? You bought it for tonight, it’d be a pity to take it off already.”

“For now.”

Nodding, William continued to kiss her until the jeans around his knees started to drive him crazy. “Wait, wait,” he panted, rolling away from her to sit and pull the pants off one leg at a time.

“We don’t need to wait.” Buffy crawled to him and got up on her knees once again. She pushed his face into her cleavage and ran her fingers through his hair. “Are they still in the nightstand?”

“Yes, Buffy.” As Buffy stretched and reached for the condom, William ran his palms up and down the back of her thighs.

“Hope we don’t run out.”

“We--.” William stopped talking when Buffy pushed him back. She squinted, trying to read the instructions on the wrapper. “Buffy, I could...”

“No, I want to try.”

He propped back on his elbows and watched in wonder as Buffy touched him softly and took great pains to make sure his erection was carefully covered. After her third time checking for air bubbles, William batted her hands away. “Don’t do that.”

“But--.”

“I swear there aren’t any bloody bubbles. Come here.”

“Can I be on top?”

“Oh, bloody...” He closed his eyes, already feeling like he would explode. “Sure, sure.”

“I liked it before,” she whispered, taking his outreached hand and making her way closer. She bunched her nightgown high and bit her bottom lip as she sunk down on him, taking him deep inside. “Oh...” she said, squeezing his hand and wiggling her hips. “Still...wow but not painful...much.”

“Buffy,” he croaked. “Buffy...”

“Take, uh, take deep breaths. Maybe it’ll help.” She wrapped his arms around her back before melting against him. “Relax, William. Inhale,” she said softly before giving him a kiss, “exhale.”

They continued to kiss lazily, breathing together and thrusting their hips in time.

“Can we go a little faster?” Buffy asked, grinding against his pelvic bone. “Would you mind?” He shook his head and she grinned. “This feels so good, William. I love you so much.”

“I love you too,” he said, happy that he could answer unlike during their first time. “Are you getting...close?”

“Oh, yeah. Could you...” She took his hand and pressed one of his fingers against her swollen clit. “Touch me, gah, please, touch me.”

“Buffy, I...”

“Oh...oh, oh. William!” Buffy hissed and bucked her hips as her orgasm hit. As her body trembled from the inside out, she muffled her cries in William’s shoulder. Her jerky motions brought him coming after her.

“Shhh, shhh,” William heard as his eyes rolled back. “Love you.” A hand wiped the sweat from his brow and lips brushed against his face. “You were amazing. I’ve never felt anything like that. Thank you.”

“No,” he panted, barely opening his eyes, “it was you.” William hugged Buffy tight, her hair covering the goofy smile on his face.

***
Chapter 15 by facingthesun
Chapter 15

“Mom! I’m home!” Buffy yelled as she pushed open the door. “Mom—wow.” She froze, seeing that the living room was decorated with balloons and streamers.

“Hi, honey. How was your trip?”

“Is all this for William?”

“I figured we could celebrate his birthday tonight since we missed it. Can you help me?”

Buffy put down her suitcase and helped her mother tie a bundle of balloons to the back of a wooden chair. Once she was done, her mom hugged her.

“You never said if you had fun, Buffy. What did you decide about William?”

“Um,” Buffy bit her lip with her chin resting on Joyce’s shoulder. “I think we should go a little slower. We, ah, William and I, need to...”

“Oh, honey, I know how difficult it is to talk about this with your mother. I’ve been thinking a lot this weekend too and I know you’ll make the right decision. You’re a smart girl; I know you won’t have sex until you’re ready and we both know that’s years from now.”

“Exactly,” Buffy said, swallowing. She pulled away from Joyce and looked around the room, needing to avert her eyes from her too-trusting mother.

“You should wrap William’s present before he comes home. I expect him within the hour.”

“Present?”

“Buffy,” Joyce scolded. “You didn’t buy William a gift? Shame on you. I guess if you go now, you can run to the store and get something. Giles will be here for dinner. He has a special surprise for him.”

“Surprise? What? Tell me.”

“I can’t,” Joyce said with a sly grin. “I’ll just say that Rupert is a very kind man.”

“Mom,” Buffy whined. “Tell me!”

“No, run to the store.”

“But--.”

“Go.”
***

Buffy was waiting second in line for the cash register when she saw William walk past the storefront.

“Oh! Wait!” she yelled, even though he couldn’t hear her outside. “Wait!”

Buffy dropped her things on the counter and said sorry to the cashier before running out of the store.

“William!” Her feet slapped against the pavement and seconds later she leapt into William’s arms, knocking his bags to the ground, wrapping her legs around his waist and kissing his face. “You’re early,” she squealed, hugging him tightly.

“The awards ceremony was shorter than expected. Buffy, you’re already shopping?”

“For you,” she grinned and kissed him again.

“Why?”

“Mom doesn’t think I got you a present, she chewed me out and everything.”

“Little does she know—she doesn’t know anything, right?”

“Mom’s throwing you a belated birthday bash. I’d say she doesn’t suspect a thing.”

“Thank God.”

“But she did make me feel so guilty earlier.”

“How so?” William asked, narrowing his eyes and gently lowering Buffy to her feet.

“Mom told that I’m smart and that I always make the right decisions.”

“You are smart--.”

“Do you think she’d be happy with the decisions I made this weekend? Not only did I lie, I stayed in your hotel room and then there was all that other stuff. Sure, I thought they were great, wonderful choices but will mom think the same way? Not so much.”

“Maybe she was intentionally giving you a guilt trip? Maybe she does know but she’s not saying anything,” William said hurriedly with his eyes wide. “She wants us to give ourselves away! That’s probably why she’s giving me a party!”

“Hey, calm down. William, I don’t think she’d do something like that. I’m just saying...you saw how she acted with us kissing; do you think she’d be so calm if she knew what went on this weekend?”

He grimaced, “Buffy, she can’t find out.”

“I know,” she said, giving him a hug. “We’ll just have to keep it a secret.”

“And for a very long time, too. Until she’s old and gray...and preferably hard of hearing.”
***

“Mom! Look who I found!” With one of the suitcases in her hands, Buffy held open the door for William.

Joyce came from the kitchen smiling and with Dawn trailing behind her. “Your teacher called and told me that you were sick off and on all weekend. Are you feeling better? I called the night of your birthday and when you didn’t pick up, I assumed you were sleeping.”

As Mrs. Summers pulled William into her arms, Buffy and William exchanged awkward glances. “I think it was a twenty-four hour bug. I feel fine now, Mrs. Summers.”

“But sick for your birthday? That’s horrible! It was bad enough that you were in Los Angeles.” She patted him on the shoulder and moved back so Dawn could give William a hug too.

“Hey, I don’t remember all this welcoming when I came home,” Buffy said. “The brat didn’t even come downstairs to wave at me.”

“I like William more than I like you.” Dawn stuck out her tongue and Buffy returned the gesture with a roll of her eyes. “I missed him, not you.”

“Missed you too, Dawine.”

“Now that everyone’s home, we can get moving. Buffy and William, you take your bags upstairs and then we’ll go to Rupert’s house.”

“We aren’t eating here? Are we eating out? Do I have time to change? Will the place be fancy?”

“Buffy, we can’t be here for another hour. You look fine in what you’re wearing.”

“But mom!”

“William, tell Buffy that she looks fine.”

He looked from his girlfriend’s defiant stare to his surrogate mother’s frown and sighed, “There’s no place like home.”
***

Buffy and William followed Joyce and Dawn leisurely as they crossed the street. Their arms were hooked and they playfully gave each other kisses each time Mrs. Summers turned her back.

“Giles didn’t tell me anything about buying a new car,” William commented seeing a black car parked in the driveway with temporary tags.

“Maybe someone’s visiting?”

“I don’t know...”

“Or maybe—oh my God! Oh, my, God!”

“What? What?”

“Mom! Did Giles get William a car?”
***

“It’s mine? Seriously?”

“You’ll have to pay for half but yes, it’s yours.”

William stared at the De Soto in a daze. “I can’t even drive.”

“I’ll teach you,” Giles said with a grin. “Joyce and I decided you could handle the responsibility. But William, the car is used so it may require some work.”

“Alright. I…thank you.” William stepped towards Rupert and they struggled, clumsily trying to hug until they settled with patting each other on the shoulder.

“If you’d like, we can take your car tonight. You can sit in the passenger’s seat.”

William grinned, the keys to his new car clutched in his hand.

“Mom?” Buffy said as the girls got into the backseat. “Does this mean that I’m getting a car for my birthday too?”

“Yeah and what about me?” Dawn demanded, elbowing Buffy so she could look at Joyce. “If Buffy gets one, I get one too!”

“Girls, the car is a gift from Rupert to William. I don’t owe either of you a car. William’s just a lucky boy with a very generous uncle.”

“God, can William get any more for his birthday?” Buffy crossed her arms but grinned when he looked at her with excitement in his eyes.
***

“You may have to work more to pay for the car,” Joyce suggested as they sat around the table, about to eat their dinner at William’s favorite restaurant.

“I don’t know. I can put some money now towards what I owe. I got quite a bit of money this morning.”

“You won more? Why didn’t you say anything?” Buffy asked.

“I didn’t want to gloat, pet.”

Out of the corner of her eye, Buffy saw her mother look up once she heard the nickname. “So, eh, what did you win?”

“Another scholarship and it’s a big one.” William beamed as he told them the amount. “There’s a few hundred in spending money, so…”

“It’s up to you, William,” Giles said. “There’s no hurry to pay me back. With all the recognition your writing is getting, have you considered publishing any of it? I have some friends back east that you could run a poem or two by. And then there’s always college—William just think of all the universities that’ll be begging for you to apply.”

“I’m only a freshman. I’ve never thought about the future that much--.”

“When you come to work tomorrow, I’ll show you our collection of college guides and directories.”

William nodded, “I’m sure Buffy would be interested in looking too. Right, love?”

“Sure, I guess it’d be fun to look,” Buffy said with a shrug. “I heard it’s never too early to start looking, so count me in.”
***

“Mom, is he still outside?” Dressed in her pajamas, Buffy came downstairs and plopped on the couch next to Joyce. “We’ll have to drag him in tonight or he’ll sleep out there.” She gave her mom a brush and two hair ties. “Can you French braid the pigtails, please?”

“I think William enjoyed his birthday, don’t you? I feel terrible that I couldn’t make it down to LA to at least see him receive the scholarship.”

“Don’t worry, he totally understands.” Buffy closed her eyes, enjoying the feeling of the brush running through her hair.

“This was his first birthday without his mother and I wanted to make it memorable.”

“It was, mom.”

“Because he got a car--.”

“No,” Buffy turned to face her, “even without the car and if he didn’t go to LA, William would’ve had a good time. He likes it here, mom. We’re his family and even if his birthday had sucked, he’d still love us, all of us, even Dawn, who isn’t all that lovable.”

Joyce tried not to smile as she continued to braid Buffy’s hair. “When did you get so grown up?”

“I’m not. But when it comes to William…I just get him, okay?”
***

Buffy knocked on the window and William manually rolled it down. “Can I come in?”

“Sure.” Leaning over, he pulled up the lock on the passenger door. “It’s getting late, isn’t it?”

“Yup, tomorrow’s a school night,” Buffy said, sliding onto the bench seat and closing the door. “I can’t believe you have a car.”

“I know. The seats are real leather and they’re not even torn up. The car’s in great shape—from what I can tell anyway. Giles said it used to belong to a little old lady who babied her.”

“Her?” Buffy laughed.

“Cars are typically called girls,” William said matter-of-factly.

“Are you going to name it?”

“No.” William put his hands on the steering wheel. “Want me to turn it on?”

“As long as you don’t wreck anything.”

“I’ll just turn on the radio.” He turned the key and found a clear station. “Come here.” With a curled hand, he beckoned her forward. “Aren’t bench seats great?” he asked once Buffy was at his side. “This car is going to be bloody fantastic, Buffy. We can come in here to hide from Joyce and when I learn how to drive, we’ll take a trip together. It’ll be like this weekend, only better.”

“I want to learn how to drive too.”

“I’ll teach you, pet.”

Buffy rested her head on his shoulder while she played with the radio. “That’s better. I love this song.” Sighing dreamily, she snuggled into William’s side. “Where would we go?”

“On our trip? Anywhere, Buffy.”

“It wouldn’t have to be someplace far.”

“And to save money, we could sleep in here. The backseat’s gigantic.”

“So, it’d be a road trip?”

“Oh, yes,” William wrapped his arms around her and nuzzled the side of her face, “with the windows down and the radio blasting. The first stop would be getting you a slushy and all that junk food. Then we’d pick a direction and just drive.”

Buffy laughed softly as he brushed her skin with kisses. “You’re getting me excited. You’d better learn how to drive soon, mister.”

“I’ll bug Giles about it first thing after school and then we’ll gang up on him at work.”

“William,” Buffy said, as their kisses grew more heated, “it’s a school night and mom, she’ll be out her any minute. I told her we were moving slower and this,” she moaned as William’s hand slipped up her shirt, “this is not...slow.”

“Okay, okay,” he sighed. “We should go inside.”

“Yeah.”

He turned off the engine and slipped out of the car. He offered Buffy a hand. “All that freedom we had in Los Angeles, it’s long gone, isn’t it?”

“I think so.” Buffy closed the car door and they walked towards the house.

“I’ll miss you tonight.”

Buffy took a deep breath, “I’ll miss you too.”

“Think I could sneak in?”

“In my room?”

“Just for a change,” he shrugged. “Unless you don’t want me in your bed.”

“I do. A lot, but Dawn’s room is just next-door...”

“She’s a heavy sleeper. You planning on making a lot of noise, Buffy?” he asked with a smirk.

Buffy grinned, pushing William inside the house. “I’ll be waiting,” she whispered before running upstairs. “Mom, I finally got him out of the stupid car!”

***
Chapter 16 by facingthesun
Chapter 16

Buffy couldn’t stop smiling. She collapsed for what felt like the hundredth time and forced her breathing to steady. With a groan, she rolled off of William’s body, but scooted close so their shoulders were touching.

“I’m never going to be able to move again.”

“Mission accomplished,” she said, shifting onto her side and combing William’s damp hair with her fingers. “You’re sure sweaty,” she teased. “I don’t remember you being so…moist. Could that be old age settling in?”

“Pft. If I’m old, you’re old.”

“Least you’ve got that same get up and go.”

“Well, that's one thing going for me, right?”

Nodding, Buffy ran her fingers along his neck. Unable to help herself, she leaned forward and pressed kisses on the few freckles that peppered his skin. “We should check on Dawn soon. It’s getting late. We wasted the whole day, William.”

“Wasted? Funny, I can’t think of any place that I’d rather be.”

“My fridge is as barren as yours. If we don’t feed Dawn, she’ll be banging on your front door.”

“We could ignore her.”

“I've tried, but I don’t think it’s possible. The more you ignore her, the louder she gets. If you want to stay here, I can run across the street--.”

“No, we’ll head over there and do something all together. Want to go to the carnival?”

“Will you kiss me on the Ferris wheel?”

William smirked, “Can’t believe you remember that. Of course I’ll kiss you on the Ferris wheel--in fact, there’s no way that you’ll be able to stop me, pet.”
***

“Giles says that I’m a natural,” William said proudly. “I didn’t hit a thing--I wasn’t even close! I avoided all the dumpsters and was careful during my turns...”

Buffy shelved the new stock of books as William talked about driving his car for the first time.

“It was easier than I thought. Today I went around the neighborhoods, but tomorrow I’m heading to the big streets!”

“See? You were nervous about nothing. I told you that you had nothing to worry about.” Buffy patted him on the arm and went to the cash register in the bookstore with William following close behind. “I wish mom would’ve let me ride along--but no, she had to be mean. Do you think that I would’ve distracted you?”

“Nope.” He leaned against the counter and whispered, “Where’s Giles, love?”

“I don’t know; in the back of the store maybe, why do you ask?”

William smirked, “Can you help me find a book, Buffy?”

She narrowed her eyes, “What kind of book?”

Instead of answering, he walked silently around the store, looking down each tall row of reading material. “I think he’s in the storage room.”

“So what?”

“Isn’t he usually back there forever?”

“Sometimes,” Buffy said carefully. “What are you up to?”

“Stop asking so many questions.” William came up to her and grabbed her hand, pulling her into a corner of the room. “You’re wasting precious time.”

Buffy smiled and was taken by surprise as William started to kiss her neck. “Whoa there,” she gasped as a hand slipped into her jeans. “What--are you crazy? There could be customers coming in and--.”

“I thought you were the one for public displays of affection?”

“I know, but this is different--.”

“And it’s not like we can do anything back home. Buffy, I want you so much.”

“William,” she hissed, as his fingers pressed between her legs and rubbed against her underwear. “This is a bad idea.”

"It doesn't have to be, pet."

Buffy groaned, trying to avoid his pleading gaze and the feeling of his erection poking her thigh. "God, what do you want to do exactly? We’re in a bookstore, William. I’ve barely come to terms with your... penis and now you want to do it at work?"

"I want to--."

"William? Can you help me lift some boxes? William?"

"Oh, fuck!" he whispered, hearing Giles' voice. Buffy tried not to laugh as William jumped away and dove behind another row of shelves. "Did he see me?"

"Giles, I'll help you in a minute!" When there wasn’t an answer, Buffy pulled William out of a crouching position. "You can stop hiding. I thought you were okay with just cuddling? You said that if we were able to sleep in the same bed sometimes that you’d be okay with us not having sex at home."

"I am. Are you sure he’s gone?"

"I don't know if I believe you." She searched his eyes and frowned. “I want to talk about this later, alright? But if I stall any longer, Giles is going to come out here and see that,” she pointed as his tented pants, “ and I know how you hate to be embarrassed.”

“Buffy, really--.”

She leaned in for a quick kiss and hummed when their lips stayed together for longer than she had expected. “Save it for later.”

***

“She’s going to freak out.”

“Don't care, I’m staying the night or we’ll go back to my place.”

“So demanding,” Buffy chuckled, kissing William as he propped her against the side of the house. “We need to go inside.”

“In a minute.”

“William,” she hummed, “I thought you were exhausted?”

“Doesn’t mean I can’t kiss you.”

“Oh, continue then.” Buffy tangled her hands in his already-messy hair and groaned as William’s body rubbed against her. “William,” she purred, her arousal mounting. “I mean it. We should go inside or I’ll have to--.”

“Right. Guess my minute’s up. Can’t have you mauling me again.”

“Oh, I think there was some mutual mauling.” Buffy opened the front door and motioned for William to follow her. “Dawn! Home!”

From upstairs they heard a crash and a loud gasp.

“Okay, I wasn’t expecting that.” Buffy and William exchanged concerned glances before heading to the second level. “Dawn?”

“Stay here,” William whispered.

“No way.”

“Buffy--.”

“No. Don’t argue with me. I’m not staying in the hallway. I want to know what’s going on.”

“Alright, just let me go in first.” When Buffy nodded, William took slow steps toward Dawn’s bedroom. “Dawnie? Are you okay, bit?”

“Hey guys! I didn’t hear you come in!”

“Dawn, what was that noise?” Buffy asked. “Did something break?”

“What noise?” Dawn asked innocently as she sat on the edge of her bed. “There wasn’t a noise. And nothing’s broken. So, how was your day? Was the picnic fun? I’ve been here all day. Studying--studying, a lot. My eyes hurt from all the studying that I’ve been doing, let me tell you!”

“Something weird is going on.” Buffy’s eyes searched her sister’s room. “You’re hiding something. What is it?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about. Hey! Don’t go through my things!”

“I’m just checking for boys and,” William squinted into the trashcan, “the cigarette. I didn’t know you smoked.”

“She doesn’t!” Dawn opened her mouth to explain, but closed it quickly, knowing that she wouldn’t win against Buffy. “You smoke?” Buffy screamed. “Since when? That’s disgusting! Smoking is bad!”

“Breathe, love.”

“You have no proof!”

“Here, you go.” Smirking, William picked up a snuffed cigarette. “Found it in the windowsill. That’s strange place to throw your incriminating evidence, bit.”

“You suck,” Dawn pouted. “I just tried it once.”

“By yourself?”

“Yeah...”

“Who gave it to you?”

“Nobody.”

“You bought it? Is there a pack somewhere? Where’s the lighter?”

“Buffy, I’d hate to ruin your interrogation, but...what do I spy with my little eye?” William looked out the window and grinned. “Looks like little sis is following in your footsteps. Dawnie had company.”

“What do you mean?”

“There’s a shoe in the bushes. A rather big, teenage-boy-shaped shoe.” He turned and looked at Dawn. “I’m impressed, kitten. How’d he jump out of the window without breaking his neck?”

“You had a boy in your room? Dawn!”

“Here comes round two,” William muttered, heading to the door. “I’ll let you girls duke it out. I’ll intervene when the hair pulling starts, until then, I’m going to watch some TV. ”
***

“You can’t be having withdrawals. It hasn’t even been a full week and you lived just fine before we started doing...stuff.”

“I’m not having bloody withdrawals, Buffy. I thought we could mess around because Giles was busy. I thought wrong, alright? I’m sorry.”

“Don’t get snippy.”

“I’m not getting snippy,” William insisted. They were walking home in the dark after their shift ended at the bookstore. “Don’t you find it frustrating that we can’t kiss or touch each other? It seems like someone is always watching. And I do enjoy it when we can sleep together, but I won’t deny that I think it’d be nice if we could do a bit more than snuggle.”

“Mom warned me about boys like you,” Buffy teased. “They get a bit of sex and that’s all they want. What do you want me to do, try to get mom and Dawn out of the house so we can have our sexcapades?”

“Actually, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea. Do you think you could get rid of them?”

Buffy laughed and rolled her eyes, “I guess I could try, but--.”

“Please, Buffy?” William stopped her on the sidewalk and hugged her. “You’re so good at that kind of stuff. If we could be alone for a few hours, I’d be so grateful.”

“Hey, you didn’t deny that all you think about is sex,” she pointed out with another laugh as William’s arms tightened around her.

“All I think about is you.”

“All I think about is you too. To be honest, I wish we could do more than snuggle too, but it’s too risky...unless I get them out of the house.”

“So, you’ll try?”

“I will.”

***

“I knew this would happen and you’re only my sister. If I have kids of my own—God, I can’t even imagine it—they’ll be devil children! A bunch of delinquents! And then, if William’s the father...” Buffy trailed off as she paced the room. “They say that the kids are always worse than the parents. I wonder how bad mom was?”

“Are you going to start yelling at me or are you going to keep freaking out?”

“Oh, I’m going to yell,” Buffy promised. “I can’t believe you had a boy up here. I didn’t even think you were seeing anyone.”

“He’s just a friend--.”

“A friend who I don’t know. A friend who you felt you had to hide from me. And a friend who is teaching my baby sister how to smoke—this sounds like a very bad friend!”

“He’s not bad!”

“What’s his name?”

“Connor.”

“Does this Connor have a last name?”

“I won’t let you check his records at school, Buffy.”

“Why not? Is there something that I shouldn’t know about him?”

“He’s a nice guy! Ground me if you want to, but I’m still going to see him!”

“You’re definitely grounded, missy.”

“Fine,” Dawn pouted. “And so you know, I think smoking is gross. It wasn’t my cigarette. I’m trying to help him quit.”

“You should send him to my office--.”

“Over my dead body!”

“That can totally be arranged. I want to meet this guy who’s doing God-only-knows-what to my sister.”

“I can guarantee he’s not doing even half of the stuff that William did to you when you were my age,” Dawn said smugly. “You guys started boinking in freshman year. God, what were you doing by twelfth grade?”

“That’s none of your business!”

“I see the way it is. It’s always ‘do what I say and not what I do’ with you.”

Buffy narrowed her eyes, “Oh, keep it up, I dare you. You’re already in so much trouble.”

“I’m just telling you the truth--.”

“And I’m just going to ground you from everything besides school until you’re forty!”
***

“We’re never having children.”

“Never? Not even one?”

Buffy gave William a funny look and sat next to him on the couch. “Are you saying you want to have kids with me?”

“I doubt they’d be devil children, Buffy.”

“Oh, you heard that?”

“Heard every word. You both weren’t exactly using your inside voices.” He turned off the television and gave her his complete attention. “Does she throw our relationship in your face often?”

“Not usually. It’s funny how some of the guilt is still there, you know? I still feel guilty about the things we did.”

“We weren’t that bad. We didn’t smoke, or drink...much.”

“The drinking was your deal, not mine.”

“It was a few times...”

“Shut up, William.”

“Are we going to feed Dawn or not? Is starving a part of the grounding?”

“I guess not. It just freaks me out that some guy that I’ve never heard of is tiptoeing around my house. At least mom knew you and you never had to break in.”

“But we did have extraordinary circumstances, don’t you think?”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“Why don’t you invite the little punk over after the grounding? We can meet him and I can play the big bad ‘touch her and die’ role that I learned from Joyce.”

Buffy grinned and knocked into his side playfully, “Why do I have a problem seeing you be a big bag anything?”

“I’m the baddest, princess.”

“Sure, whatever you say, honey.”

“If worst comes to worst, I guess we can have a bloody tag team,” William said with a fake pout. “If I crash and burn, you can take over.”

“Aww,” Buffy cooed, “so pouty. See that lower lip? Gonna get it.” Laughing, she pulled William in for a kiss. “I guess I wouldn’t mind one demon-child.”

“One we could handle,” William agreed, hugging her into his chest.

“What a scary thing to talk about when we just made up, huh?”

“You brought it up.”

“I blame Dawn.”

“Okay, it’s all her fault.”

“That’s right,” she sighed, content in his arms. “But this boy business gives me a really good reason for letting you stay over every once in while. Who needs a guard dog when I have a big bad attack William?”

“And we’ll just forget the fact that I’m a heavy sleeper?”

“It’ll be our secret. I like any excuse that keeps you here with me.”

“We could say that you’re the boss therefore, she has to deal with the decisions that you make. If you want me to sleepover, so be it because technically, you’re her parent...”

“That sounds like it would involve parenting skills. I pass.”

“Alright,” William chuckled, planting a kiss on Buffy’s forehead.
***
Chapter 17 by facingthesun
Author's Notes:
A/N:
The last update for today!

I’m super proud to announce that This Girl, That Boy has received 3 nominations at the Love’s Last Glimpse awards for Best WIP, Romance, and Fantasy! I also got a nom for Best Author and nominations for another one of my AU stories, Little by Little (the revamped version). Big, huge thanks to my secret nominator!!
Chapter 17

“Sure you don’t want to join me?”

“Positive.” William sat on a bench and pulled a notebook from his bag. “Just don’t forget about me while you shop.”

“Yesh, how long can I take at the drug store?”

“I’ve seen your eyes glaze over at the hardware store, pet. It doesn’t matter what kind of store you’re in.”

“Ha ha. I’ll be back as soon as I get mom’s prescription. Need anything?” She took her wallet out of her backpack before dropping it at William’s feet.

“What—don’t leave that with me!”

“Why not?”

He looked at Buffy’s hot pink backpack and wrinkled his nose. “It’s like holding your purse, Buffy.”

“It’s a backpack.”

“It’s a pink backpack with too many key chains and all those girlie patches on it.”

“It’s heavy, William. I’m not asking you to wear it on your back, just keep it at your feet. Do we need anything or not?”

“We?”

“What would ‘we’ need? Gosh, are you dumb today or what?” Rolling her eyes and muttering under her breath, Buffy left William on the bench.

***

Buffy and William walked side-by-side with Dawn trailing behind.

“This is cruel and unusual punishment,” Dawn grumbled. Her arms were crossed and she made a gagging noise each time the couple playfully kissed and touched each other. “I should be at home and learning the error of my ways. God, it’s so embarrassing. What if someone sees me with you guys as you slobber all over each other? It’s bad enough that everyone knows my sister because she’s the counselor, but now she’s macking on the new English teacher!”

“I thought you were our little cheerleader, bit?” William held his hand to the small of Buffy’s back and snuck under shirt to occasionally caress her skin. “Where’d our cupid go? I thought you wanted us to get back together?”

“That was before she got grounded,” Buffy pointed out with a smug grin.

“So, Buffy, if you’re dragging me to the carnival tonight, what’d you do all day? You left the house so early and you returned looking all disheveled. I get in trouble for just talking to a guy and you have a day of boinking and do you get in trouble? Of course not, because you’re old and somehow that makes it all okay—what a load of crap!”

William felt Buffy stiffen and before she could growl at Dawn, he beat her to it. “Can I talk to you for a minute, Dawnie?” Buffy and Dawn looked at him strangely, both wondering what he was up to. “It won’t take long, girls. No need to get worked up about it. Come on,” he motioned to Dawn, “let’s take a little walk.”
***

“I dumped her because she was a prude. I know she’ll get desperate and come crawling back on her knees—if you know what I mean.”

William looked up from writing to see Angel snicker with another boy from school. He quickly averted his eyes, hoping that they’d pass by without speaking to him.

“Hey, Will. We haven’t seen you around for awhile.”

With a discreet sigh, he closed the spiral notebook he had been working in. “I’ve been busy.”

“Busy with Buffy? Did you get her to put out yet? She’s one hell of a kisser, but I think she’d make you work just to feel her up.”

“I don’t see why I should tell you, it’s none of your business.”

“He gets this way every time I mention kissing Buffy. You see, I was her first kiss and it pisses William off,” Angel explained to the guy next to him. “He’s jealous that I got to try her out first and who knows, maybe if I’m lucky, I could do her first too.”

“Don’t talk about her like that,” William growled, jumping to his feet.

“Look at him trying to defend his girlfriend as he guards her purse.”

“It’s her backpack, you sod.”

“You wound me. We were best friends once—even though he was more pathetic back in the day. I just used him until somebody better came along.”

Silently, William glared daggers at Angel’s laughing face.

“Can’t believe Buffy actually dates him, bet she’s waiting around for someone better too. Hey man, can you give her my number? She’s a hot little thing and--.”

Seeing red and unable to control his anger, William pulled back his fist before hitting Angel in the face.
***

“Fight! Fight!”

“Bet it’s just a bunch of hoodlums,” Buffy muttered as she searched the shelves in the drug store. She looked left and then right before quickly grabbing a box and tossing it into her grocery basket.

That wasn’t so bad, she thought, ignoring the fact that her heart was pounding as she went to the counter. Now for the hard part…
***

A group huddled around the bench where William had been sitting. With a paper bag hugged to her chest, Buffy looked for him in the crowd.

“You bloody asshole!”

“Oh God,” Buffy gasped, pushing between the bodies that were in her way. “William? William!” She knelt on the ground and winced, seeing Angel straddling him. Both of the boys had bloody faces and they continued to take jabs at each other. “William, stop it!”

Without a second thought, Buffy clenched her teeth and charged at Angel. “Get off my boyfriend!”

***

“You’ve got to stop this.”

“Stop what?” Dawn asked innocently, fluttering her eyelashes.

William narrowed his eyes and fought the need to shake a finger at Buffy’s younger sister. “You were wrong for having that guy in your room and you know it.”

“Why should I let Buffy yell at me when she did the same thing constantly when she was my age?”

“Because she’s your mom--.”

“She is not,” Dawn snapped.

“You know what I mean. And it’s not like you were unreasonably punished, Buffy’s not treating you badly.”

“Says you.”

“Dawn--.”

“What’s it to you if I think Buffy’s a bitch? Why are you acting like some kind of father figure?”

William’s mouth became a thin line and he returned Dawn’s glare. “Something tells me you need another week added to your grounding.”

“What? No!”

“You should apologize to her then; your sister didn’t deserve to be called that.”

“But--.”

“I’m just waiting for you to stomp your feet and scream that you aren’t being treated like an adult.”

“Hey, how’d you know I was about to do that?”

William smirked, “Because Buffy did, remember?”

“Oh my God, she did it all the time,” Dawn said with a laugh. “And then mom would always say if she wanted to be treated like an adult she’d have to act like an—hey! Is this some kind of hidden lecture? Are you teaching me a lesson?”

“You know, most adults get off easier for good behavior.”

“Oh really?”

William nodded and they headed back to where they had left Buffy. “You should be happy that Buffy’s been in your shoes, kitten. Instead of making her upset, you should be working on her sympathies.”

“Are you giving me advice?”

“No, no, you didn’t hear a word from me.”

“I see,” she said slowly. “But you are trying to be some kind of peacemaker, am I right?”

“I’d rather not have my two favorite girls at each other’s throats.”

“Okay, but if I play nice, you’d better make sure the grounding gets cut in, like, half.”

“So, you’ll be on your best behavior?”

“I guess.”

“Even if, for example, I stayed overnight, would you be a brat about it?”

“Are you blackmailing me?”

“No, we’re compromising, Dawnie. We’re making a friendly agreement.”

“That Buffy doesn’t need to know about?” When he didn’t answer, Dawn started to giggle. “You’re heading for trouble if you lie to her. Big, big, nasty, trouble.”

“I’m not completely dumb. I know your sister--.”

“So, you’re pretty much saying if you can see my sister, I can see Connor?”

“Within reason, yes.”

“And if Buffy finds out--.”

“I’m going to tell her.”

“If she’s against it, I’m saying that you promised.”

“Great.”

“Oh, this is a nice friendly agreement,” Dawn said with a wide smile on her face.
***

Buffy took a handful of Angel’s hair between her fingers and pulled until he started to scream. With him distracted, William was able to sit up and get a few punches into his stomach before he got to his feet.

“Buffy, let go,” William said quietly. “He’s had enough.” He pried her fingers open and helped her to her feet. “We’ve got to get out of here.”

“Jerk!” Buffy yelled, kicking Angel in the leg.

“Buffy, come on!”

“It wasn’t that hard.” Shrugging, she put on her backpack and ran to catch up with William as he walked quickly towards their house. “What was that all about?”

“He was being an idiot.”

“So you beat him up?”

“He was asking for it!”

“Hey calm down!” He was almost up the driveway before Buffy pulled him in the other direction. “You can’t see mom like that. She’ll freak out. We need to clean you up.”

“But--.”

“You have a key to Giles’, right?”

“He’s at work.”

“That’s why we need your key.”
***

“You didn’t get hurt at all, did you?”

“No.” Buffy cringed, dabbing the cuts on William’s face with a wet washcloth. “Ow. You’re going to bruise.”

“Yeah, but did you see peaches? He’s got two black eyes and I’m sure that I knocked the wind out of him! You made him nearly bald--.”

“Peaches?”

“Long story.”

“So, what’d he say?” Buffy asked softly as she stood between his knees. William was sitting on the kitchen counter and she looked up at him. “I thought he was your friend.”

“He talks a lot of shit, Buffy.”

“You couldn’t ignore him? We haven’t had to team up and kick butt since middle school.”

“He was pushing me. He brought up Spin the Bottle and wanted to know if you’d put out—he said that you were practically using me as filler until you could find a better guy.”

“You got into a fight over that?”

“Well...yeah! He’s a dick!”

“You should’ve just told him that I was in the store and buying us condoms--.”

“What?”

“It was supposed to be a surprise,” Buffy said. “Mom’s doing a school thing with Dawn on Thursday; they’ll be out of the house from eight to four. I figured one of us could play sick and the other could ditch class that day.”

“That’s great, pet.”

“I know.” She cleaned the last bit of blood off his face and searched his eyes. “Did what he say really bug you that much? I’m not waiting for a better guy, William. I think you’re the greatest to begin with, I love you and as for Angel being nosy...he can guess all he wants about if I’ve put out or not, but only we two will know the truth. That should stay between us, don’t you think?” When William nodded, Buffy smiled and gently kissed his broken lip.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have...”

“It’s okay.” She wanted to hug him, but instead she lifted his shirt. “Any other cuts I need to look at?”

“I’m alright.” He scooted off the counter and pulled her into his arms. “It was nice defending you though. Made me feel...manly and all that.”

“We’ll see how manly you are when you face mom.”

“You had to ruin my moment, yeah?”

“Fighting is bad, William.”

“I know.”

“It doesn’t matter if you know, be ready for a lecture,” she sang before kissing his cheek.

“Maybe she won’t notice?”

Buffy looked at his developing black eye and fat lip. “Ah, let’s just go home,” she said, patting him lovingly on the back.

***

“Hi, Buffy! Did you miss us?”

“She’s perky. What did you do?”

“About that...”

“William’s going to tell you all about the joys of compromising while I get some popcorn! You guys want anything?”
***

“What happened to Mister ‘you’re the adult and she’ll just have to deal with it’?”

“Well, she was being a brat and--.”

“She’s always a brat. It’s a full time job for her. I think she just took a few days off because she was excited to see you.”

“Is it really such a bad idea?”

Buffy sighed and leaned into William’s side. “She can date, that’s fine. She’s always been able to do that. I just don’t want them doing anything in the house...that’s what they made cars for.”

“I said ‘within reason,’ see, that’ll cover us. It’s not like they’re going to get away with sleepovers. That is not ‘within reason’.”

Buffy held back a smile, “You’re really back in the family, aren’t you?” William shot her a funny look, as if it were crazy for her to ask such a question. “You’re wonderful, William. Just...wonderful.”

“Hey! More kissing?” Dawn exclaimed, returning with her hands weighed down with food. “I can’t leave you for more than a few seconds and you’re all over each other! Shesh! Scoot over. This is better,” she said, sitting between William and Buffy. “I’m starving. How about you guys?”
***
Chapter 18 by facingthesun
Chapter 18

Buffy held her breath as William pulled the metal bar down, securing them into the chair of the Ferris wheel.

“Why did it take us so long to do this?” she asked as they slowly were lifted into the dark sky. The ride stopped rotating every few seconds to allow more passengers aboard.

“Guess we always had something else to do,” William suggested, motioning Buffy closer and tucking her under his arm.

“It’s so beautiful; the stars seem so much closer.” Buffy sighed dreamily and rested her head on William’s shoulder. “Now I see why you fantasized about this when we were younger.”

With a little grin, she reached for his hand and threaded their fingers together. As the creaky wheel turned, Buffy listened to the sounds of people enjoying the carnival and music of the other rides that surrounded them.

“Buffy,” William whispered, bringing her attention back to their private seat. “You mind if I…”

“Not all,” she answered taking her eyes from the sky to search his face. Assuming that she knew what he was going to say, Buffy caressed William’s cheeks before giving him a light kiss. “I was just stalling before the fireworks.” As if on cue, the first pop crackled above them and colorful sparks filled the air. “For a minute there I was afraid that they’d be too late and that the ride would end too soon--.”

“You set this all up?”

“Well, it didn’t take much, just had to get you in the right place at the right time.” She rested her hand on his knee and as they kissed, her fingers traveled slowly up his thigh.

“Buffy, I don’t think that that’s a good idea,” William whispered when she moved closer and closer to the zipper of his jeans. “The ride’s about to end and--.”

“Wouldn’t want to get anything started that we can’t finish?”

“Exactly.”

“You’re still predictable, even after all these years. I love it.” Smiling, Buffy nuzzled his blushing face. “Here I thought you’d get the hang of public displays of affection--.”

“Oh, pet, there’s a difference between a public display of affection and a public display of fuc--.”

“Language, William!” Buffy squealed, playfully covering his mouth with her palm.

With laughter shining his eyes, William brushed her hand away and pulled her into his crushing embrace. “How can you act so innocent when we both know about your randy little hands?”

“Um…well…”

“You don’t have to answer, Buffy,” he chuckled.

Buffy sat comfortably in his arms and they continued to tease and kiss each other until it was their turn to get off of the rotating Ferris wheel.
***

“I can’t believe she’s taking away all my car privileges for a bloody month!”

Buffy sat on the edge of the bed and handed William a bag of frozen vegetables. “This’ll stop the swelling.”

“I don’t need that. A month…” he whined. “That’s uncalled for.”

“You’ll live, I promise.”

“Did I get in trouble as often when I didn’t live here?” William asked before collapsing on his bed with a huff.

“Don’t you remember taking me down the cleaning isle at the grocery store? You could describe the taste of every bar of soap--.”

“Fine. I get your point.”

“William, you should really put something cold on your face. Mom said that it’d help.” She scooted forward and tried to offer him the bag again. “I refilled the ice cube trays, but they won’t be ready for awhile. Please?” she begged.

After rolling his eyes, William took the frozen peas and dramatically plopped them onto his entire face. “Now my day is complete,” he muttered with a sarcastic tone. “I get beat up, saved by a girl, have my car taken away, and now I have pea face.”

Ignoring his self-pity, Buffy lay out next to him, took the bag off his face, and dropped it on the floor. “You looked cute with pea face.”

“You lie,” he said, rolling on his side. “I just don’t think it’ll do anything other than turn my skin pink, Buffy, and I’m ugly enough with just the war wounds.”

“Okay.” She shrugged, running her fingers through his hair. “I’ll put the peas away.”

William let out a soft moan, enjoying Buffy’s soft touches. He reached for a pillow at the top of his bed and situated himself so he could rest close to Buffy’s chest.

“You weren’t saved by a girl,” Buffy pointed out quietly. “I could’ve stayed on the sidelines, but I had to get in there and knock him around a little.”

“I know.”

“We should--.”

“Let her come in. We aren’t breaking any rules. The door’s open, we’re dressed from head to toe and I’m going to keep all my parts to myself.”

“I was going to say that we should talk more about Thursday,” Buffy admitted with a laugh. “It’s coming up; it’s the day after tomorrow.”

“Oh, that,” he yawned. “Um, just tell me what to do, love, and your wish is my command.”

Buffy grinned as William nestled his head under her chin and brushed sleepy kisses into her cleavage.

“Getting beat up takes a lot out of a guy. First I had Angel jabbing me, then your mom gave me the verbal blows…”

“I can’t wait to see what he looks like at school.”

“Bald, bruised and covered in scratches—possibly a few bite marks.”

“You bit him?”

“Hey, had to take advantage of all I had—teeth included.”

“Ew, William.”

He chuckled and let out a big yawn. “I’ve had this bitter taste in my mouth ever since. How long will it last? You should know since you’ve kissed the guy.”

“God, don’t remind me. You’ll be fine in the morning, aftertaste-wise,” Buffy said, wrapping her arms tightly around him. “I’ll stick around until you fall asleep, William.”

“You’d better,” William joked, closing his heavy eyes.

***

“I am never eating ever again,” Dawn announced as she held her stomach and sluggishly made her way up the driveway. “Cotton candy, hot dogs, pizza, and Tilt-a-Whirls so do not mix.”

“Don’t forget the ice cream and candy, bit.”

“Oh, God, I’m going to die,” she moaned at William’s comment. “Kill me now.”

“That can be arranged.”

“Very funny, Buffy,” Dawn grumbled as she unlocked the front door. “So you guys going to say goodnight or are we having us a little slumber party?”

“I thought you were dying, why should you care?” Buffy teased, waiting on the sidewalk, arms linked with William. “Just give us a minute and I’ll be in to make sure that you aren’t dead.”

“Yeah right. Do whatever you want, I’m too sick to care.”

“Isn’t she a dramatic one?” William said once Buffy’s sister was out of sight.

“But you’ve got to love her…I guess.”

“Sure you won’t need help nursing our girl back to health? I make a good chicken soup.”

“I don’t think she needs to eat anymore…”

“Alright, point taken I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

Buffy grabbed William before he could cross the street. “That doesn’t mean that I don’t want you to stay over. You want to take up Dawn’s offer of a slumber party?”
***

“I heard that it was coming out of both ends,” Dawn said with a bright smile. “She can’t even move without some kind of spew-age.”

William kept his eyes on his cereal and tried not to laugh at her excitement. At least Buffy’s got one of them convinced that she’s really sick, he thought.

“Do you think she’s going to school today, Dawnie?”

“Not unless we tie a barf bag around her neck and attach her to a port-a-potty.”

“That would be amusing,” William snickered. “But, eh, not so amusing for your sister.”

“Nice save, but too late. I’m going to tell Buffy that you think her sickness is funny.”

“Please don’t,” he said, playing along until Joyce walked into the kitchen where they were eating breakfast. “Mrs. Summers, how’s Buffy?”

“She doesn’t have a fever, but she doesn’t seem to be feeling very well at all. I hate to leave her…but I’ll have Rupert check on her throughout the day.”

“Really?” he asked, nearly choking on his cereal. “But Giles is working and—never mind.”

“Dawn, are you about ready to go? I don’t want to be late. William, we can drop you off at the high school if you don’t mind getting there a little early.”

“Oh, no thank you. I’ll walk, Mrs. Summers.”

Joyce nodded as she fluttered around the kitchen, worried about Buffy and afraid that she and Dawn wouldn’t make it on time to their fieldtrip. “Can you check on Buffy before you leave?”

“I’d be happy to...”
***

William nudged open Buffy’s bedroom door and wasn’t surprised to see his girlfriend curled in a fetal position.

“Mom?” she moaned. “I don’t think I can make it to school today…”

Without answering her, he tiptoed closer to her bed and soundlessly took off his t-shirt.

“Mom?”

“She’s gone, pet,” William answered as he slipped off his tennis shoes. “You did it. She called you in sick and didn’t tell you because she didn’t want to wake you.”

“William,” Buffy turned towards him and said his name warmly. “Hey.”

“Good morning, how’s my award-winning actress?”

“Very nice,” she purred, stretching her arms above her head. “You going to join me?”

“In a minute.”

Buffy waited patiently, watching as he unzipped his jeans. “So this not wearing anything under your clothes, you do it all the time?”

“Isn’t everyone naked under their clothes? I’ll admit to having fewer layers than most, but--.”

“Ha, I get it.” She laughed as William joined her under the blankets. “Everything ran smoothly with mom though?”

Humming, his hands moved up and down her body, allowing him to take a mental note of what she was wearing and articles of clothing that he could look forward to removing. “What did you do, Buffy? She didn’t have any doubts; in fact she’s sending Giles to check on you.”

“What? That’s not good!”

“Don’t panic, I already did that for you.” Taking a deep breath, he slid a hand under her tank top. “He can’t get in unless you let him,” he explained as he ran the pad of his thumb over one of Buffy’s erect nipples. “And if you don’t get the door, you can just say that you were sleeping.”

“That…I guess that sounds alright.” Buffy melted under William’s touch and inched closer. “You’re fine with ditching class now?”

“I still think I’ll get caught.” He gently freed her from her shirt and tossed it aside. “But when I think of what I could be missing,” William grinned, taking in the sight of Buffy’s bare chest, “it won’t be so bad. Even if I get caught, it’ll be worth it.”

“We haven’t been caught yet.”

“There’s always the possibility, Buffy.”

“I know,” she admitted, kissing his temple. “I’ll have to make it really, really worth it since you’re putting so much on the line for me. Gosh, if mom knew you were playing hooky, you’d never see your car for years.”

“Don’t…don’t say things like that,” he mumbled, as if she was talking casually about the worst punishment that he could think of.

“Okay, no more talking about getting in trouble.” Rolling over, she settled on his body, and straddled his hips between her legs. William let out a quiet groan as she pressed against him with only the thin fabric of her underwear separating them. “You won’t believe how much I’ve been looking forward to this.”

“I have a good idea, pet.”

Buffy tucked her hair behind her ears before giving William a deep kiss. As their lips fused together, she barely rocked her lower half.

“Oh, William,” she sighed, feeling his excitement grow from underneath her.

With a mixture of lust and affection shining in his eyes, William changed their positioning so he hovered above Buffy. While propping his weight on his arms, he peppered her face and neck with kisses.

“Buffy,” he whispered, “What would you like to do first?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well…you know.” His fingers curled under the waistband of her underwear, pulling them to her knees. “We have a few options…um, one or two things that we haven’t tried before…”

“Such as?” she asked with wide, innocent eyes. “William, just tell me. I’m up for anything if you are.” Straining to sit up, she slipped her underwear around her ankles and kicked them away. “Come on, out with it,” she said, wrapping her arms around him and wiggling until she was comfortably sheltered by his body. “Don’t turn this into a guessing game.”

Choosing to remain silent and fearing rejection, William swallowed before giving Buffy a new line of tender kisses.

“William, would your new options have anything to do with you getting all hot and bothered over the way I licked my spoon on your birthday?”
***

William froze and weighed the pros and cons of answering Buffy’s question truthfully. Bet it’s too soon to bring it up…

“William?” Buffy ran her fingers up and down his back, causing a patch of goose bumps to rise to the surface of his naked skin. “Okay, you don’t have to tell me. I think I know what you’re getting at.”

“And, eh, what do you think about it?”

“I think you’re crazy.”

“I know, Buffy, I’m sorry--.”

“Wait, let me finish. Here you’ve been trying to get in my pants for days and now instead of having sex, you want to make things awkward by bringing up other ‘options.’ Yesh, you’re dumb.” She burst out in laughter and between her giggles, Buffy gave him quick kisses. “I love you so much, William.”

“I love you too,” he replied, not understanding what she found to be so funny.

“Let’s make a deal: make love to me and I’ll agree to whatever you want afterwards. I’ll do whatever and let you do whatever. How’s that sound?”

“You’re serious? You’re not teasing me?”

“William,” Buffy giggled, reaching towards the nightstand to retrieve a condom, “I’m very serious.”

***

“How’s the sicky?”

“She’s full of queasiness and ‘I told you so’s.”

William nodded from where he was standing in the doorway of Buffy’s room. His arms were crossed and his eyes were focused on the closed bedroom at the end of the hall.

“What are you looking at?”

“My old room—the door of my old room. Do you always keep it closed up?”

“Um…no.”

“I don’t mind if you do,” he said, uncrossing his arms. “I just wondered. Your old room is closed too?”

“I…”

“Buffy, hey, I didn’t want to frazzle you. I just—forget I said anything, pet.” Afraid that he’d said the wrong things, he stepped forward and looked at her apologetically. “Let’s get some sleep, love.”

“I moved into mom’s room after she died,” Buffy explained quietly. “Mine was too small and filled with too many memories. And yours…we were going to change it back to a guest room, but we never got to it. It looks pretty much like it did when you left. It depressed me to see it so empty and gutted so, I’ll admit it, on most days I’d just close the door.”

I hurt her so much, William thought, as Buffy looked at her shoes in embarrassment. At that moment he was reminded that no matter how well the day had gone, the wounds between them were still sore and not completely healed.

It’s going to take a bit more than just a few days, he realized. I’ll have to give her all the time she needs. I will not mess this up.

“Let’s get some sleep,” he repeated lamely, offering her a hand.

“I am kinda tired.”

“You should be.” He guided her inside the bedroom, shutting and locking the door behind them. “Is there something in particular that you’d like to sleep in?”

“Are you going to dress me?” Buffy asked, lifting a brow.

“Just answer the question.”

“In the top left drawer of my dresser you’ll find my nightgowns, any of those will be fine.”
***

Buffy smiled and watched as William kneeled on the carpet. He untied the laces on each of her shoes with care and delicately handled her feet. Once her feet were bare, he stood and concentrated on taking off the rest of her clothing. She noticed a change in the pace of his breathing as soon as she was left in nothing but her bra and panties.

“You know the bra has to go.”

“Of course,” he said, clearing his throat and placing the nightgown back down.

“Do I get to undress and dress you too?”

“If you ask nicely.”

“Pretty please?”

“Arms up.” With her back facing him, William slipped her nightclothes over her head. “You all set now?”

“Yup and thank you.” She turned and automatically reached for the buttons of his shirt. “How much should I take off since you have nothing to change into?” Buffy pushed the shirt off his shoulders and couldn’t help but run her hands along his chest. She fought the need to fan herself, her body heat rising with each stroke of the muscles that her fingers grazed over.

“Are you alright?” William asked, noticing her sudden flush.

Buffy nodded, reaching for the belt of his jeans and letting it fall to the floor. “I have some boxers you can wear.”

“I’m not wearing--.”

“They’re men’s boxers, I swear. I got them because they have Scooby Doo on them. They could be a little tight, but--.” Buffy grinned ear-to-ear, imagining him in a pair of snug cartoon-covered shorts.

“I’ll stay in my jeans.”

“No,” she whined. “You should wear the shorts! Please?”

“No way. I saw the faces that you were making, missy.”

“Please, please?” she begged, leaning forward and kissing along his collarbone.

“What part of ‘no’ don’t you understand?” Batting her away, he started to pull down the sheets of the bed.

“The part where I don’t get my way.” Pouting, Buffy dove under the covers and quickly turned out the lights. Seconds later, she let out a sigh of pleasure as William wrapped his arms tightly around her.

“Good night, my love,” he whispered, putting kisses against the side of her neck. “I can’t wait to see you rise and shine in the morning.”
***
Chapter 19 by facingthesun
Author's Notes:
A/N: I’m so sorry for the gap between updates. I had quite a lot of real life things going on that put a damper on my writing speed.

Also, I’m happy to report that This Girl, That Boy won Runner Up in the best WIP category in the last round of the Love’s Last Glimpse Awards. :D
Chapter 19

Buffy watched William out of the corner of her eye as they rested under the covers with their shoulders touching in her small twin-sized bed. Chewing on her lower lip, she fought the urge to smile, knowing that William’s toothy grin was big enough to represent both of their satisfaction and then some. She couldn’t take her eyes off of him, thinking that he was sexier than ever as he sighed blissfully, folded his arms behind his head, and seemed at ease with the fact that her brightly colored sheets were riding dangerously low on his hips.

“That was bloody fantastic,” he said, looking thoroughly relaxed and content.

Buffy agreed silently by scooting closer and resting her head on his chest. She hugged him tight and allowed a small smile to float to the surface of her face.

“I told you that it’d get better and better,” she whispered. “You just proved my point and a lot. See what wonders taking our time can accomplish? When you did that thing with your—God, that was nice.”

She started a new trail of kisses below one of his flat nipples and journeyed up his body. When she reached his already swollen lips, they moaned in unison and explored each other’s mouths, instantly rekindling the lust and enthusiasm that they had been fueled by all morning. Like during their earlier lovemaking, Buffy surrendered wholeheartedly to William and pushed away her guilty feelings about faking an illness and lying to her mother. The chances of them getting caught were not weighing heavily on her mind and she just wanted to take full advantage of her empty house, naked boyfriend and their lack of parental supervision.

“So, William,” Buffy gasped, ripping her mouth from his, “care to give me an instant replay of your, ah, fantastic skills?”

***

William opened his eyes and struggled to read the red blurry numbers of the digital clock that sat on Buffy’s nightstand. Realizing that he was up thirty minutes before the alarm was scheduled to sound, William reached out and turned it off, knowing that Buffy wouldn’t have difficulties waking on that particular Monday morning. She was peacefully dozing on her stomach and William grinned as he brushed away her messy hair in order to see her face. After whispering her name, he leaned forward to lightly kiss Buffy’s forehead.

“Wake up, cutie,” he said, wrapping his arms around her as well as he could.

“Go away. I’m sleeping,” Buffy whined. She twisted in his embrace and made stubborn grunts in protest as he continued to kiss her face. When he refused to let go of her, she buried her head in his chest and used it as a pillow.

“Well, good morning to you too. Maybe I should just head across the street right now. A fella can tell when he’s not wanted.”

“No, don’t go. I want.” With a soft moan, Buffy snuggled into his body. “Just give me five more minutes and I promise that I’ll get up.”

“Okay, pet, the next few minutes are all yours.”

“Mmmm…good. Thank you, you’re such a honey.”

With no intention of keeping motionless while she slept, one of William’s hands slipped under Buffy’s nightgown and slid up her smooth thigh.

“William, you’re making it very difficult for me to sleep…”

“Guess you’d better give up on it then. Wake up and let’s put our extra minutes to good use, pet,” he said in a low seductive voice.

“Don’t tempt me.” Buffy put her hand of his, stopping it from pulling off her underwear. “I need to check on Dawn.”

“But--.”

“No buts allowed. Sisterly duty calls.” Buffy reached for William by threading her fingers in the back of his hair. She kissed him twice before rolling out of the bed.

“But, I thought--.”

“William, it’s school day.” Smirking, Buffy put a robe over her pajamas and headed to the door.
***

“How’s every other third Tuesday work for you?”

“What do you mean?” William asked, plopping next to Buffy on the living room couch with his arms full of snack food. She was wearing just his t-shirt and he was back in his jeans.

“I want to schedule in some more sick days. Personally, I think the more the merrier, but mom is going to get suspicious if I start claiming to have every bug and virus known to man.”

“We could switch off,” he suggested while ripping open a new bag of chips with his teeth. “I think I’d be good at the acting bit. I was in this play once--.”

“It was a non-speaking role.”

“Yes, but I did it very well,” he insisted.

“You were a tree, William. You just had to stand there and be tree-like.”

“I was a damn good tree…I had to be completely motionless and completely silent and, ah…”

“Completely leafy?”

“No! Well-never mind that. My point is: I want to do this more often too. No matter what it’ll take, I’m up for it.”

She flashed him a closed-lip smile before heading into his lap. “We just can’t over do it,” she said, leaning forward to retrieve her breakfast of choice. “There won’t be a lot of days where mom isn’t on campus. Today has been a dream, but I kinda doubt it’ll fly too many more times…but on the bright side, we’ll have your getaway car once your grounding is over--.”

“Hey now, wait a minute, you brought up penciling in more ditch days and now you’re saying we can’t?”

“I’m just thinking rationally. Open this for me?”

“Rationally? And here I thought you were just blessed with a bloody criminal mind,” William grumbled, keeping his arms snug around her while he peeled off the top of the ice cream carton that she’d put in his hands. “Be careful with this stuff, Joyce will get suspicious if all the chocolate fudge is missing and there’s nothing left but vanilla. We all know how you dig holes for the good stuff, love.”

“Pft,” she said, wiggling in his lap to find the most comfortable spot. “Be good or I won’t share.”

“Like you would; you’re stingy.”

“I am so not!” she squealed, elbowing him playfully in the stomach. “Sharing is caring and I happen to care about you a lot.”

“Elbow me again. It’s a fine symbol of your undying love and affection…”

“You’re such a big whiner,” she said, humming happily as she ate spoonfuls of ice cream. “I’m so nice to you and you know it.” Buffy paused, listening to the sound of him eating chips in her ear. “Besides, my degree of niceness will reach all new highs if we go oral. And it’s not that I’m against trying new things, but we just passed the written with flying colors and…”

Buffy trailed off, staring ahead, noticing that William had coughed once and then became silent.

“Do you think we’ll ever get over all this nervous stuff?” she asked after a few seconds crawled by. “We get wigged out so easily and we shouldn’t, you know? We’ve known each other forever…”

“It’s not like we don’t feel comfortable around each other,” William added.

“Yeah, we’re like this,” she agreed, showing him her crossed pointer and middle fingers, which represented the closeness that Buffy knew that they shared.

“You’re exactly right, pet.”

“How are you though? You look a little pale and your eyes were bugging pretty bad for awhile there.”

“I’m fine, Buffy.”

She placed a flat hand on each side of his face and searched his expression. “You didn’t forget about our agreement, right?”

“No.”

“I didn’t think you would, but I had to check,” Buffy teased lightly while petting his cheeks in a circular motion. “So, what do you think we’ll do about that pesky agreement?”

“Don’t know. We’ll find out when the time is right, I guess.”

“We do have quite a few hours before the family will be back…it’s not even noon.”

“And I’m sure we’ll make the most of those hours.”

Buffy smiled and gave William a kiss. “Oh, I guarantee that.”

***

“I’ll be there. It won’t be a problem. My sister probably won’t even know that I’m not here because of her new—well, kinda old-boyfriend.”

Buffy’s eyes instantly narrowed as she stepped closer to her sister’s partially closed bedroom door. “You’re already on the phone?”

“Don’t you ever knock?”

“This is my house, I don't have to knock. Who are you talking to? Where are you going?”

“It’s none of your business! Janice,” Dawn said, accenting her best friend’s name, “I’ll see you at school and then afterwards to study.” She slammed down the telephone and glared at Buffy. “Are you happy now?”

“Not really. I need more info, missy, and make it quick, I have my said boyfriend to tend to. I still need the what, when and where.”

“Studying for history test, after school ‘til after dinner, and at Janice’s house. I’ll call when I get there and wave when you drive by to make sure that I’m really at her house.”

“I’m happy to see that you’re picking up on the drill.”

“Well, I have no choice really. Is William really here?”

Buffy nodded. “He spent the night. We talked about it after the carnival.”

“Really?” Dawn asked, all the anger out of her voice. “I must’ve been in a stomachache-induced coma.”

“How’s that, your stomachache? Do you feel better?”

“I think so.”

“That’s what I wanted to hear.”

“Hey, that’s all you wanted to know?”

“Yup. Get to school on time,” Buffy said, heading down the hallway. “I have a feeling that I might be late.”
***

A noise escaped from Buffy’s throat that was a cross between a whimper and a sigh. “He is so wonderful and so good to her,” she decided out loud, dabbing her teary eyes with a tissue. “I’m going to marry that guy…”

William’s nose wrinkled and he shot her a dirty look. “Oh, will you? Make a note not to invite me to the wedding, alright?”

“Okay,” she said, ignoring him and keeping her eyes glued on the television set. Afraid to miss a second of her favorite movie, Buffy blindly reached for the bowl of microwave popcorn that was resting in William’s lap. Her hand missed the food and managed to tip over the bowl, leaving William cursing and covered in salty kerns.

“Stop the movie. Stop the bloody movie!”

“But…” Buffy stumbled, upset that he’d grabbed the remote and started to frantically push buttons. “It was getting to the good part—the sad part—but still…it was…good.”

“Turn it back on,” she whined.

“Are you blind? You dumped half a bowl of buttery shit on my pants!” Muttering more colorful words, he cleaned the pieces of popcorn from his lap by tossing them back into the bowl. “How we will explain this to Joyce?”

“Accidents happen, bowls tip over?”

“When you’re drooling over pretty boys on the TV.”

“What’s your deal?”

“I don’t have a deal, but if my deal is bothering you, maybe I’ll just head to class for a few periods and leave you to the heartthrobs.”

Buffy blinked, his words sinking in. “You’re jealous…of actors, of people that I’ll never meet?”

“No, just of your future husband.” Refusing to look at her, he walked into the kitchen on a mission to clean his pants.

“Husband?” Buffy whispered under her breath before running after him. “William, we need to talk! You’re going crazy and you really don’t need to.”

“Talk, I’m listening, but I think I’m entitled to be crazy. After a day like the one that we’ve had, the last thing that I want to hear is your plan to marry some movie star.”

“William, but I’m a girl...”

“So what?”

“How old were we when we first started to play house?”

“I don’t know, kindergarten…maybe first grade.”

“Okay, then,” she grabbed his wrist and reestablished their eye contact, “it’s been since kindergarten or first grade that I’ve decided that we’re going to get married.”

“That was before puberty, the drooling and heartthrobs though--.”

“Shut up,” Buffy said, even though she could tell that he was teasing. “Who cares about all those attractive, rich guys? I don’t, even though they’re nice to look at...they’re nothing like you.”

“Is that supposed to be a good thing, pet?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and pushed him against the sink. “I love you.” William was barely able to say the same before her mouth came crashing down on his.

“I’d love to marry you someday and I think we’d be really happy together, but I also think that marriage isn’t something we should talk about until we both are at least licensed drivers.” Laughing, her hands slipped between them and worked on opening the clasp of his jeans.

“What are you up to, blondie?”

“Just thought it’d be easier to solve your dirty pants dilemma with them off,” she explained, tugging the jeans down and off his hips.

“I like the way you think,” he whispered, lips brushing her skin as he kissed her shoulders and neck. With busy fingers, he hiked up the shirt that Buffy was wearing until it rode at her waist.

Buffy moaned as she was pulled into his chest. She closed her eyes, and tried to stay calm, even though goose bumps appeared on her arms and her heart started to pound. “William,” she began as his heated kisses caused her head to fog and her thinking to be unclear, “I, ah, don’t think water will help the stain. Mom has this-this stuff that we can spray on them.”

“Later, don’t care about that now.”

Recognizing the lust in his voice, she nodded and in one graceful motion, Buffy jumped and latched onto William with both her arms and legs tightly wrapped around him.

***

Buffy returned to the bedroom and found the bed made and William nowhere to be seen. She didn’t search for him long, hearing the sound of running water coming from the master bathroom.

“He made the bed? Love him,” Buffy sang, dropping her robe to the floor and walking into the steam-filled room. After quickly undressing, she tapped on the glass shower door and stepped under the spraying faucet.

“Mind if I join you?”

William swallowed, his eyes taking their time and staring as they traveled upwards from her toes. “How’s, ah, Dawn? Is she still sick?”

“Nope,” Buffy answered, wringing out her hair. “Can I?” She pointed towards the shampoo that was in the corner of the shower. When she reached for it, she purposely bumped into William, causing her breasts to push into his side. “This shower has always been on the tiny side.”

“And if I’m remembering correctly, that’s why we used it whenever possible.”

Buffy smiled, flooded with their shared memories. “I liked the doors. We could recreate those steamy love scenes with the dramatic hand that slaps the glass in a moment of pleasure and then slowly slides down—God, that was a blast.”

William lifted a brow, watching as Buffy shampooed her hair. “But then you always sent me back to clean up the evidence, all those smudgy fingerprints.”

“Remember when mom caught you, Scrubbing Bubbles in hand?” she laughed. “And you had to explain your sudden need to fight water spots when it wasn’t even on your list of chores.” Buffy continued to snicker as she soaped up her sponge. “William, want to wash my back?”

Without hesitation, he took over and washed Buffy’s body with ease and familiarity. “Here I thought I’d only be able to look and not touch…it being a school day and all,” he commented, kneeling to bathe her lower half.

“You’ll just have to keep the time in mind because unlike me, you have kids to teach.”

“Don’t be tardy. I think we can manage that.”
***

William was not prepared for Buffy’s leap. He tried to keep his balance, but found it difficult with his pants around his knees.

“Oh, hell,” he said quietly, taking two steps backwards before losing his footing and crashing to the kitchen floor with Buffy still in his grasp.

***
Chapter 20 by facingthesun
A/N:
I’m sorry for the wait. Hopefully you like this chapter. Just so I don’t have to get depressed, before you start asking me “William had sex with Harmony?” please remember chapter 10. For some reason, some people (I won’t name names) have forgotten that. How? Who knows, I think that was a kinda memorable chapter—but then I wrote it... But really if this story is hard to follow... *sad*

Please review.

Chapter 20

“Oh my God.” Buffy covered her mouth with the palm of her hand as soft giggles shook her body. “This, uh...” she turned to see that they were tangled together and sprawled across the kitchen floor, “I wasn’t expecting this.” Bursting into laughter, she buried her head into William’s shoulder. “This is great!”

“I’m glad that you’re finding our near-death experience so hilarious. It really warms my heart.” With her weight on his body, William struggled to glance at his feet. “Bloody hell, could this be anymore embarrassing?”

“Oh come on. It’s funny.” Buffy flashed him a wide smile before dotting kisses against his skin. “Laugh with me, William.”

“I will, just as soon you move that pointy knee of yours a bit to the left.”

“What—oh! Why didn’t you say something sooner? Was I squishing your—I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to squish! Should I move? I’ll...move.”

“Hey now, where are you going? Stay where you are.”

“But I don’t want to hurt you--.”

“Just watch your knee,” he said, pulling her back to his chest and kissing her forehead. “You’re staying put until I say otherwise.”

“Bossy much? But really, William, are you okay? Other than my knee...you’re okay, right?”

“I’m well enough, but that might change once I start walking around. Can you believe that I could be so clumsy, pet? I let you fall. I dropped you.”

“You also softened my landing, be sure to remember that. You don’t have to be so hard on yourself. I know that it was an accident.”

“Yeah, but just look at me, I look bloody ridiculous, Buffy. I’m completely naked except for my bloody jeans, which happen to be twisted around my bloody ankles. No wonder you started to crack up...”

“Okay, Mr. Bloody-This-and-Bloody-That, let me help.” Staring at him as a concentration point, Buffy used her bare feet to nudge his pants down and off his legs. “There. How’s that? Better?”

“Not quite. I’m still naked. Care to lend a hand—or should I say foot—with that too while you’re at it?”

“I like you naked—no, I prefer you naked.” Smirking, she playfully caressed his earlobe with her lips. “In fact, William,” she whispered, “let me give you three very enthusiastic cheers for you nakedness.” She snuggled deeper into his body and treated him to three lengthy kisses.

“Now,” she said, their lips still touching, “do you feel better?”

“I’m getting there.” William tangled one hand into her hair, while the other slipped up her shirt and ran over the smooth skin of her backside.

“William, should we...do you want to go upstairs?”

“No. Not at all.”

“Okay,” Buffy laughed as he pulled at her shirt. “Keep that up and I’ll be naked in no time.”

“That’s the point, genius. Arms up, love.”

“But won’t I just end up looking bloody ridiculous?” she teased, lifting her body to straddle his waist once she was freed of her clothing. “Before we get too carried away, are you sure that getting this naked is such a good idea?”

“In the back pocket of my jeans, I have a condoms,” William said, with a lift of his brow and flirtatious bite on his lower lip.

“Somebody’s all prepared.”

“Does that surprise you?”

“Nope. It’s better to be safe than sorry, am I right?”

“Perfectly. Like always.” Sitting up and holding Buffy securely, William scooted them back until he could rest comfortably against the dishwasher. “I’m never dropping you again, Buffy and you could never look ridiculous. You’re nothing short of beautiful. When I write, I always compare you to the most lovely things...”

“You’re a girl,” Buffy snorted, affection shining in her eyes. “Someday, you’re going to show me your writing.”

“We’ll see,” he whispered, cupping her breasts and pushing them together with his hands. His actions progressed at slow rate, gentle squeezes turning into special attention that was given to each of her nipples.

“I shouldn’t plan on it, should I? You share your poems with teachers and complete strangers, but not--.”

“Quiet, you.” Before she could get out another word, he took one of her nipples into his mouth. Each lick and move that he made with his tongue, caused Buffy to let out a quiet, throaty moan. “Now that’s more like it,” he chuckled, pausing to place light kisses on the valley between her breasts.

“William,” she groaned, gathering his hair into her fists. “You’re so good. This feels very...good.”

“I’m happy to please.” Smiling, he reached blindly for his discarded pants.

“Wait. Let me...I think I can try it now. I want to try it.”

William’s smile faded and he searched her face to make sure that she was serious.

“If you can do that stuff with your mouth, why can’t I?” Getting onto her knees, Buffy backed up and took a deep breath. “If this is disgusting,” she laughed nervously as she took his arousal into her hands, “I’m going to be so mad at you.”

“I...Buffy, you don’t have to--.” His voice sounded tight and he struggled to keep still under every maddening stroke and caress. “Bloody—good lord,” he said, squeezing his eyes shut when Buffy licked her lips and started to open her mouth.

“William, are you paying attention?”

“Yes,” he swallowed, peeking open one eye. An indescribable noise escaped from the back of his throat once she wrapped her lips around his erection.

This isn’t so bad, Buffy thought, her only discomfort resulting from the hard floor that her knees were pressing into. Her fears slowly vanished as she coaxed him to climax. Each time that he trembled and gasped her name, Buffy felt her own excitement grow and intensify.

“William, I’m just gonna...watch,” she whispered, her eyes widening, knowing that he had reached his point of no return. Not wanting to miss a moment, she scanned up and down his body, forcing her eyes to leave his stunning face.

“You liked that, didn’t you?” she said, minutes later once she rediscovered her voice. “You really...wow.”

“Now you’ve done it.” Reaching forward, he gathered her into his arms. “You’ve got a willing slave for life now. I’ll do anything. Already I can’t wait to have your mouth on me again,” he purred, nuzzling her cheek with his nose. “You’re amazing, pet. Hell, I can’t say enough.”

“Mmmm, tell me more.”

“No, I’m going to show you.” He got to his feet and collected their clothing before offering Buffy his hand. “Let’s go somewhere with more cushioning.”

“We aren’t going to have sex in the kitchen?”

“I can’t stand being on the floor any longer. It hurts, Buffy. It’s a real pain in the ass.”

“I know, look at my knees,” she said, pointing at the red spots. “Ow, see what I put up with for you?”

“You won’t get away without being rewarded.” Smirking, he walked forward to press their bodies together and kiss her lips. “Did you...what you did, it wasn’t bad, yeah?”

“It wasn’t bad.”

“Did you like it?”

“I didn’t hate it.”

“Buffy—must you always give me a hard time?”

“Yes.”

“Buffy--.”

“It was very not bad and I liked it.” Buffy laughed, touched by his relieved grin. “I liked it because you did.”

“I more than liked it,” he admitted shyly.

“I love you, William.”

“I know and I adore you. I care about you. I admire you. I love you so bloody much, Buffy.”

Sighing happily, she melted as he captured her mouth in a passionate kiss. “Are you sure that we aren’t going to have sex in the kitchen?”

“You could try that jumping thing again.”

“You won’t drop me?”

“Never.”

***

“You could go see him you know.”

“I can’t. He has papers to grade that he didn’t get done this weekend. I’ll just distract him.”

“So you’ll continue to think about him and make moon eyes?”

“Cordy, I’ve always thought about him. I’m always thinking about him.”

“Oh gag me,” Cordelia laughed. “You really should go see him and now before I throw up.”

“Didn’t you just give me a lecture about public displays of affection being against school policy?”

“I’m not saying that you should go at it on his desk,” she whispered, rolling her eyes. “Buffy, after lunch, you don’t have another break. You’ll have three hours or more without seeing him.”

“Shut up,” Buffy mumbled, taking a bite out of her sandwich.

“And you know, I never saw him get a lunch. Did he brown bag it?”

“Well...no. We were running late and...” She shifted in her seat, instantly feeling hotter due to the memories of their steamy morning together. “Maybe I should bring him up a tray. He’s always loved Taco Day in the cafeteria...”

“Well, get a move on then! You’ve got less than half an hour left.”

“Okay!” Buffy chuckled, gathering the remnants of her food. “Cordy, ah...”

“There’s no need to thank me. Just shoo! Get out of here!”
***

William looked at the clock for the umpteenth time and forced himself to stay put.

“Hell,” he groaned, rubbing the bridge of his nose. He opened his eyes wide and blinked before returning to the dull paper that he was trying to tackle.

“Room service!”

William’s head spun at the three weak knocks and familiar voice. “I didn’t order any room service!”

“But you’re getting it anyway. Hey,” Buffy said, opening the door and closing the door to William’s classroom behind her. “I come bearing the yummy.”

He grinned, putting down his pen and watching as Buffy balanced a lunch tray and two cans of soda in her hands. “You need some help, pet?”

“No, I can do it. See?” She beamed proudly as she placed everything on his desk. “You haven’t eaten, right?”

“Not a crumb.”

“Well, that’s going to change—if you can leave your papers for a minute, I mean. I hope I’m not disturbing you.”

“Not at all.” William stood and held Buffy’s wrists lightly as he kissed her cheek and forehead. “Thank you, baby. I’m very happy to see you.”

“I, uh, had this teensy problem with staying away.”

“I shouldn’t have asked you to.”

“Did you get a lot done?”

“Well...most,” he laughed, gesturing towards a tall stack on his desk. “Those are the un-graded. I’m fighting a losing battle, I swear it.”

“I could go...”

“Over my dead body. Pull up a chair, Buffy.” Once they sat, he rolled her chair closer to his side. “How was your day?”

“Pretty good, but busy.”

“You’ve got to love Mondays, huh?” He took a large bite from his taco and wiped his mouth as he chewed.

“I like your classroom. It’s nice.”

“See, it’s better on the inside. You should’ve come inside a few days back instead of peeking through the windows.”

“Hey, I was stalking. There are certain things that you can and can’t do when you’re stalking your childhood sweetheart,” Buffy joked.

“Buffy.” Seeing her downcast eyes, he wiped his hands on his pants and motioned for her to sit on his leg. “Come here.”

“No. I can’t.”

“Why not?”

“We’re in school, William.”

“I’ve got the blinds over the windows all closed up. Kids never bug me at lunch.”

“Because you’re usually somewhere else with me.”

“Alright. Never mind. Just don’t make that mopey face anymore. It drives me insane. I see your sad eyes and pouty lip and all I can think about is finding a way to make you smile again.”

“I wasn’t trying to make faces. They kinda just happen,” Buffy shrugged, giving the door a nervous glance before sitting on his leg.

“They make me dreadfully guilty,” William whispered, wrapping his arms around her waist.

“You should feel guilty. Remember having sex with Harmony should result in much, much guilt and much, much shame.”

“You’ll forgive me someday, won’t you?”

Buffy nodded, scooping up his face in her hands. “Now you’ve got to promise me not to make that face, William.” She kissed him sweetly and moaned as he slipped his greedy tongue into her mouth. They kissed at an unhurried rate until their lips fell apart as sweetly as they’d met.

“So, uh, are you coming home after school?” Finding their closeness too tempting, Buffy tried to act causally as she returned to her chair. “Dawn won’t be home until late.”

“Oh?”

“She’s studying with a friend.”

“Will you need some company?”

Buffy nodded, biting her lower lip.

“I’ll be there, pet, with bells on.”
***
Chapter 21 by facingthesun
Author's Notes:
Happy Halloween!
Chapter 21

“Mom!” Buffy cried as she ran downstairs in her patterned pajamas. “How long can it take to finish one lousy test? William promised that he’d be back before I woke up this morning. He said that we’d drive somewhere for breakfast.”

“Buffy, he hasn’t been gone for very long. Maybe he just assumed that you’d roll out of bed at noon like you usually do on the weekends. You’re up early.”

“Well, I couldn’t fall back to sleep…” Buffy muttered as she peered out the window.

“After what?”

“Huh?”

“You said that you couldn’t fall back to sleep, and I was just wondering what it was that woke you,” Joyce explained.

“Oh, well…it was William. He made a lot of noise before he left.”

“That boy is always noisy. Nearly every night I hear strange noises coming from his room.”

“Oh?” Buffy asked, sitting next to her mother on the sofa. “Like, uh, what kinda noises?”

“I just don’t think that he sleeps very soundly. He must toss and turn a lot, because I can hear his bed squeak. Sometimes I swear that he hits the wall too.”

“Oh.”

“You’ve said ‘oh’ three times, Buffy. Is there something that you’d like to talk about?”

“I can say ‘oh’ as many times as I want.”

“And now you’re being defensive--.”

“Mom,” Buffy whined, “I told you not to shrink me!”

“I’m not trying to shrink you,” Joyce laughed. “I’m trying to talk to you.”

“About what? Do you want to talk about school? Let’s talk about school. I like school. I learn a lot in school and I also--.”

“Okay, point taken. There’s nothing that you want to talk about. Not to me, anyway.”

“No-I mean, everything’s fine. Really. If I’m acting weird it’s because of William.”

“You’re feeling nervous for him?”

“Yeah and it’s stupid. William’s nervous enough for himself and twelve other people. Last night, he was so anxious that he couldn’t sleep. God, he’s like one of those little dogs that just shake because they’re that wound up.”

“How do you know that he didn’t sleep last night?”

“Ah…he told me.”

“This morning?”

“Yes, since he was making so much racket—he’s so noisy—I got up and I yelled at him. Afterwards, I wished him luck and that was when he promised to take me to breakfast.”

“I see. I’m sure that he’ll do fine. Mr. Giles told me that William’s quite the driver and that he caught on quickly.”

“So, does that mean that you’ll let him teach me how to drive? Please, mom?” Buffy begged. “You’ve already said that you don’t want to teach me and you shouldn’t make Giles do it.”

“I don’t know…”

“William would be the best teacher!”

“I’ll think about it.”

“But, mom--.”

“I’ll think about it and I’ll see if William is comfortable with the idea. He’s just getting his license today; he might not be ready to teach.”

“But all the stuff that he learned would be fresh in his mind and—did you hear that?”

“I think it could’ve been the sound of a car door slam—Buffy! Don’t just run out there! What about your shoes?”

Not listening to her mother’s concerns, Buffy ran out the front door. “William! Hey, how’d it go? Was driving with an instructor as bad as you expected?”

“It isn’t something that I’d like to do regularly. I tensed up through the entire drive. My shoulders are full of kinks.”

“But you passed, right?”

“Of course,” William snorted, pulling her into his body for a hug. “I passed with flying colors on both the written and driving portions of the test. Wanna see my license? It has an awful picture though.” He pulled back from their embrace just enough to retrieve his wallet and place it in Buffy’s hands. “Don’t make fun of me too much.”

“Aw! You look cute!”

“Cute, eh? I was thinking more along the lines of pasty and toadish. But I guess your eyes might see it differently, you being blinded by love and all.” With a good-natured shrug, he tucked the wallet into the back pocket of his jeans.

“Don’t I get to see?” Joyce asked, sneaking up on the couple. “Don’t you think that you’ve both been hugging for long enough?”

“Mom, we were celebrating. It was a friendly hug.”

“Whatever it was, it can end now. Besides, it’s my turn. Come here, William,” she said, warmly inviting him into her arms. “It’ll be so nice having another licensed driver in the house. I’m so happy that you passed. Buffy, Dawn, and I are very proud of you.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Summers,” William said with a little grin.

“Have you told your uncle the good news? Maybe you should drive over to the bookstore and tell him. I’m sure that he’d appreciate it.”

“But what about my breakfast? William, you promised--.”

“You can come with me-I mean, can Buffy come with me, Mrs. Summers? I know that she isn’t exactly dressed to be out in public, but it’d be a short ride and I’d take her to one of the drive-thru places. If you and Dawnie haven’t had breakfast yet, we’d be happy to pick up something for everyone.”

“That sounds like a great idea!” Buffy exclaimed, heading to the passenger door. “Please, mom?”

“You won’t stay out long?”

“No, not at all, Mrs. Summers.”

“Well…okay. Let me get my purse. I have a few dollars that I can give you for the meal. Dawn and I already ate, so you can treat yourselves. But if you’re gone for longer than an hour, I might not be so nice when you ask next time.”
***

“So, when I stopped at a stop sign, they made me look to the left and spell out the word stop. Then I had to look to the right and do the same: s-t-o-p.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Nope, and then the guy barely spoke a word of English. He just sat there and mumbled the speed limit over and over again.”

“When he wasn’t forcing you to spell at stop signs,” Buffy giggled. “I’ll have to tell mom that if I drive, my spelling will approve tremendously.”

“Just say ‘tremendously’ and I’m sure that she’ll be so impressed, she’ll just toss the car keys at you.”

“Are you making fun of me?”

“Diction isn’t your strong suit.”

“Okay, Mr. Hilarious, want to guess what mom and I were talking about before you showed up? She was complaining about the sounds that come out of your room at night. Creaking beds, strange banging against the walls... She said that she hears something nearly every night of the week, which isn’t really possible since we switch between our rooms pretty often.”

“What?” William’s eyes widened and he tightened his grip on the steering wheel. “How did you cover for us?”

“Well, she thinks that you just toss and turn when you sleep. I don’t think she suspects anything more.” When he didn’t respond, she waited until he parked the car behind Giles’s store to continue. “If she did, mom would’ve burst in last night since I was having trouble, you know, with staying quiet.”

“You were vocal last night…”

“I was.” She unbuckled her seatbelt and scooted over so she could rest her head in his lap. “And it’s all your fault, William. I’m exhausted and uh, certain parts of my body kinda ache.”

“You should’ve slept in.”

“I couldn’t. I worried about you taking the test with no sleep and then, I always sleep better with you near me.”

“You really think that she doesn’t have a clue?”

“I think that we can officially start calling her Clueless Mom.”

“Buffy, no offense, but your mother isn’t very bright.”

“Tell me about it,” she laughed as William ran his fingers through her hair.

"But if she does put two and two together...you'll hide me, right?"

"No."

"No?"

"No. What would I do, William? Strap you to the basket on my bike? I don't have a car like some people."

"Pet, the E.T. routine never worked even when we were little. I never did fit in that bloody basket very well."

Snickering at the memory, Buffy sat up. "You were supposed to sit on my handlebars, dummy."

"It didn't matter, Buffy. Either way, you'd still manage to steer us into every dumpster and tree that got in your way. In fact, thinking back, maybe you shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of any moving vehicle. You've got a long history of accidents and you've barely hit your sweet sixteen."

“You’re not supposed to agree with my mom! It’s always been us against everybody else.”

“Aw, baby’s gonna pout.” Chuckling, he pulled her in for a kiss.

“Take it back,” Buffy moaned, melting against him. “I’ll be extra careful and I’ll have to be a good driver because I plan on having the best teacher.”

“I guess Giles does know a lot…”

“Not Giles. You, William.”

“Me?”

“Yeah, you can teach me,” she whispered, between kisses. “It’s the perfect idea. We’d have the greatest excuse to be cooped up in your car for hours on end without supervision. And I know that you’d be an excellent teacher.”

“I would not.”

“You would too. You’ve got this weird teacher thing about you. I can totally see you shaping young minds and giving out too much homework.”

“I can’t tell if you’re insulting me or not.”

“Would I insult you?” Buffy grinned. “Just think about it. I already mentioned it to mom; she’ll ask you about it later.”

“Will you be upset if I refuse?” he asked, searching her eyes. “It’s not that I don’t want to…Buffy, if you demolish my car, I won’t be getting another.”

“William! How can you say that?! I won’t--.”

“Oh, look at the time. I’d better go inside now. Can’t be late, you know.”

“You’re such a wimp,” Buffy said, heading back to her side of the car to sulk. “I wouldn’t dream of hurting your stupid car.”

“Aw, come on.” With one foot out the door, William leaned across the seats to kiss her cheek. “I know that accidents happen--.”

“But you think that I’m an accident waiting to happen!”

“Now, you’re putting words in my mouth.”

“Don’t you have to go run to Giles?”

“Buffy…don’t be this way.”

“Just go. We’ll talk about it later.”


***

“I haven’t had this much fun in years, knowing that I have something to look forward to…a reason to run home every night… I have this constant buzz, pet.”

“You have a reason to run to my home every night.” Wrapped to her neck with blankets, Buffy admired William as he sprawled across her bed. Not a stitch of fabric covered his body and he didn’t seem to mind. “You’re never at your house.”

“You’d rather that I’d show up, ask for a shag, and head back across the street? Silly me, I thought we had more going on here than a strand of booty calls. Unless you’re thinking more along the lines of us swapping houses…Monday, Wednesday and Friday we’ll be at my house and then Tuesday, Thursday and the weekends we’ll be at your place. How’s that sound?”

“Bad. I wasn’t thinking about anything near that.”

“What were you thinking then?” Rolling on his side, William slid back under the covers to tangle their legs together. “Give me a hint, gorgeous.”

“Move in with me.”

“Uh, come again?”

“Your toothbrush is here and you’re slowly taking over my closet. I feel buzzes too, but I’m greedy. I want you here every morning and every night and all the times in between.”

“Have you spoken to Dawnie about this?”

“We’ve talked and if she disagreed, I wasn’t paying much attention. I’ve decided to be pretty stubborn about this.”

“Then I’d better start moving in, huh?” With a laugh, he nuzzled her neck and mouthed her earlobe. “I’d hate to upset you, especially if you’re so determined.”

“William…no. I don’t want to force you. I—will you please stop?”

“Love it when you tremble,” he whispered, blowing lightly in her ear for a second time. “Your body shakes against mine and I can barely control myself.”

“William…”

“Don’t know what I should do first…kiss you breathless or hide myself back inside your body.”

“You could do both.”

“I want the left side of the bed.” After making his announcement, William grinned and followed through with Buffy’s suggestion.

“Sure,” she gasped once William freed her lips.

“And my usual spot back at the dining room table, want that too.”

“Okay,” Buffy nodded, still reeling from the initial bliss of having his erection tucked deep between her legs. “Anything else?”

“No more girlie pink in the master bath. In fact, the whole house needs to be manned up a little.”

“It won’t be a problem.”

“Alright then.”

“You’ll move in with me—with us?”

“Yeah. Thanks for asking. It’s about time.”

“It’s about time?” Buffy repeated with a laugh. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I was leaving all these bloody clues…my toothbrush…taking over your closet. Knew it was only a matter of time, baby.”

“You’re kidding,” Buffy snickered.

“Not in the slightest. Now, let’s celebrate.”
***
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=8060