Little by Little

Introduction

You’re all I have left.
***

Immediately after the death of her mother, Buffy Summers was supposed to live with her mother’s fiancé, even though Buffy was only months away from her eighteenth birthday.

The aneurysm had come as a shock to everyone.

Joyce, Buffy’s mom, had been preparing to wed her boyfriend of two years, William Giles, at the time of her death. Their relationship was held over a long distance. Joyce planned on staying in Sunnydale, California until Buffy graduated high school; then she’d rush off to William in England for their romantic wedding and new future together.

Buffy had never met her mother’s boyfriend. She was fifteen years old when her mother mentioned meeting a special man on a business trip. She was still smarting over her parents’ divorce and the thought of her mother seeing a new man made Buffy queasy. She knew of the late, long-distance phone calls and saw her mother giggle while she read her email; however, Buffy’s own personal life was more important to her at the time.

Buffy was to meet her new guardian at the funeral. Modestly dressed in black, Buffy held her breath as she wobbled across the uneven grounds of the cemetery.

“You look like her.”

Buffy didn’t turn towards the softly spoken British voice instead she looked down at her shoes, afraid to move.

“You William?”

“I am, pet,” he said with a smirk.

Buffy sighed, “It’ll be starting soon. I need to go.”
***

William wasn’t shocked by her actions; he knew Buffy was going through a terrible time. He was also aware that her father had failed to show at both the funeral and reception.

‘Sure, Joyce was an only child with no close relatives but someone could’ve shown for her daughter’s sake,’ William thought, disgusted by the lack of family members at the funeral.

He wrinkled his nose, watching from the shadows as neighbors and coworkers swarmed around Buffy. They asked her the same questions over and over again and it was making William more upset with every passing minute.

‘Are you alright? How are you feeling?’ he mocked. ‘Sod off, you bastards.’

“Hey Will. I’m so sorry.”

Before William could react long red hair and salty tears surrounded him.

“Red,” he sad with a sigh of relief, “I didn’t think you’d make it, pet.”

Willow Rosenberg was Joyce’s best friend. They had known each other since high school and were working together at the museum. Willow had introduced William to Joyce two years ago.

“Have you talked to her yet?” Willow asked.

“A few words, but she never looked my way.”

“I’m sure she is just so overwhelmed right now. I wish…” Willow’s voice broke in a sob, “I wish I could’ve done something.”

“Hush, no one knew what was to be. We’ll all be right as rain soon enough.”

“You are just saying that,” she muttered, her head buried in William’s chest.

“Of course, love. You should go to her; I think she’s finally alone.”

“Will you be alright? You don’t look so good.”

“I’m fine. Go to her. I need a smoke anyway. I’ll be out.”

William kissed Willow’s forehead and silently wished her good luck before he headed outside.
***

Willow found the small bathroom of the church and knocked once.

“Buffy, it’s me.” She smiled as the door swung open and Buffy fell into her arms. “I’m sorry I missed the funeral. My stupid car broke down and I couldn’t find a ride. I had to call a pickup truck and the guy was a major poophead--.” Willow took a deep breath, ready to continue but Buffy broke her off.

“I understand. It’s okay,” Buffy said, hugging her tightly.

“No, it’s not. I--.”

“Willow, just get me out of here. Please?”
***

Willow scanned the reception’s guests twice for William and when she could not find him, she took Buffy back to her house. Buffy was unfazed by Willow’s new, dirty rental car and fell asleep instantly. Later, Willow dialed William’s cell phone as soon as Buffy was settled into the guest bedroom.

“What?”

“That’s a nice greeting you have there,” Willow said with a laugh.

“Red, you left. Everything okay?”

“I think so. She wanted to leave and I couldn’t find you.”

“That’s alright. I needed a night, you know, before I met her all official like.”

“William, are you avoiding her?”

“No, I--.”

“Joyce picked you for a reason. She really wanted you and Buffy to become a family. Don’t deny Joyce that.”

“I just don’t know a thing about kids… She was supposed to help me.” William struggled to keep his voice steady.

“I know, sweetie,” Willow sighed. “Buffy’s seventeen, almost eighteen, and she just graduated. She’ll only need you until college starts in August. Until then, I’ll help, you know I will. You won’t be alone.”

“Thanks, love. I’ll be around tomorrow. Noon-ish. I’ll meet her then. Night, Red.”

“Good night, William.”
***

Buffy felt numb. She had stopped crying at the funeral when she saw the last of the casket. Now, she felt the side effects of her weeping and her eyes hurt. She tossed and turned until climbing out of bed in the morning.

“Hi, sweetie!”

“Morning,” she grumbled with no enthusiasm.

“Pancakes or cereal?” Willow asked, standing on her tiptoes trying to reach a box in the pantry. “Oh, we also have Pop-Tarts!”

“Cereal, I’ll get it. So where is he?”

“Who?” Willow turned, and walked towards Buffy. She sat across from her at the table. “Oh, you mean Will, right? He said he’d stop by around noon. We’ll go out for lunch. You choose the place, anywhere’s fine.”

Buffy looked down at her fruit-accented Cheerios and her tone was flat, “I don’t need him, Willow. I’ll work and get a place. I don’t need a babysitter.”

“Buffy,” Willow sighed, “it’s what Joyce wanted. She loved him too. She always wanted you and William to get along, but she didn’t feel comfortable taking you out of school for visits to England. William’s a good man; I know it and your mom certainly did. Give him a chance, for her. He feels as uncomfortable as you do about the guardianship, maybe even more. Give it a chance until August, by then you’ll be eighteen and ready for school. Please, sweetie?”

Buffy looked up from her Cheerios to Willow’s hand that was placed on hers. “Until August. I’ll do it, but only for her.”
***

When the doorbell rang, Buffy’s heart sped up.

‘I’m going to meet him,’ she thought dramatically. ‘I’m seconds away from seeing the man Willow and Joyce gushed over for more than two years. Oh, his cheekbones, his hair, his porcelain skin and rock hard body. Give me a break.’

Buffy rolled her eyes, expecting nothing great.
***

“William Giles, this is Buffy Summers,” Willow said, after clearing her throat.
***

‘Good Lord, she’s beautiful.’ William was speechless, finally taking a good look at Buffy. Instantly, he started comparing the mother and daughter.

‘Straight, long blonde hair, not her mother’s wave. Green eyes, not brown. She’s shorter and her eyes are much larger. She’s so beautiful.’

Looking into Buffy’s eyes William knew he would help Buffy and that he would protect her.

He’d keep the promise he made to Joyce.

‘Maybe, just maybe…’ William grinned as Buffy blushed under his gaze. ‘Maybe I’ll need her too… We’ll get through this together.’
***

‘So this is the man that promised himself to my mother?’

Buffy couldn’t help but look at the man from booted toes to bleached blonde hair. He dressed all in black and carried himself as if he were younger; however Buffy knew he was in his mid to late thirties.

‘Black Doc Martens, black tight pants, black tight t-shirt and a black leather jacket…mid-life crisis much?’ Buffy thought, laughing softly. It was the first genuine laugh she’d made in months.

‘He looks so sad.’ Buffy nearly gasped, looking into William’s electric blue eyes. ‘His eyes don’t seem to hide his age as well as his body.

Fine, whatever, I’ll give him a chance. What do I have to lose?’
***
“Buffy, nice to meet you, pet,” William said softly. Not sure want to do, he reached out to her, extending his right hand. “I’ve heard so much about you.”

“William.”

He grinned, squeezing her warm hand.

“Ok guys! Let’s go!” Willow bounced out the door, giving them each a big smile. “I know you guys are going to love each other! I can feel it!”

“Red, love, are you going to be this annoyingly chipper all day?” William asked with a groan.
***

‘Fuck, this is awkward.’ William glared at Willow as she attempted to lighten the mood between him and Buffy. ‘If she makes one more joke, I’ll…’

“So, pet, are you looking forward to starting at the university?”

“Kinda,” Buffy said with a shrug.

“What’s your major going to be?”

“I can’t make up my mind.” Buffy wrinkled her nose as she played with her food. “Where am I going to live?”

“Ah, pet.” William was shocked to hear her low voice. “I have things to wrap up in England before I can move. I was thinking you could stay with Willow for a few weeks. If that’s okay with her, yeah?” He looked to his friend for the final go-ahead.

“No, it’s not okay with Willow,” she said. “You two are going to learn to live together. Take her to England, William. Bond. Become friends. I’m staying out of the picture for a while. Starting now.” Willow hurriedly left her seat at the restaurant.
***