Time slowly passed for both Buffy and William, and before either of them realized it, it was already the first week of June and time for exams. Buffy thankfully had swapped lab partners with Willow so that she could have Tara instead of Drusilla. Willow despised her as much as Buffy, but she could tolerate the brunette enough to work with her. When Buffy found out that Willow purposely failed the final Chemistry lab so that Dru would fail, too, Buffy was shocked.

“Why would you do that?” Buffy asked, her eyes wide. “Will, you’re going to get an F on your report card.”

“So what?” Willow replied with a shrug. “I’ve gotten an A all year- the lowest I’ll get on my report card for the semester is a B. Besides, Dru is practically failing anyways, so far be it for me not to help her completely fail.” Buffy laughed as she hugged her best friend. “It’s all about solidarity, sister.”

“What will your parents think?” Buffy asked. “And colleges might see that grade on your transcripts! I can’t believe you’d do such a thing. I’m grateful you screwed her over, but you’re taking the fall, too. I owe you so much.”

“Just keep being happy- that’s a big enough reward for me,” Willow said, smiling as she saw Oz approaching her. “Call me tomorrow after your last exam- maybe we can celebrate at the Bronze or something.”

“Sure,” Buffy said. “I think Owen wanted to take me there, anyways.”

“Owen from your English class?” Willow asked, and Buffy nodded. “Buffy! Are you not telling me something?” Buffy blushed slightly.

“He asked me out the other day, and I said yes,” she answered. “So why not tomorrow after our exam?”

“Sounds like a perfect plan to me,” Willow said as Oz came over. “So, tomorrow night then?”

“Yeah,” Buffy said. Willow nodded and walked away with Oz, and Buffy couldn’t help but feel envious of her friend’s relationship with the quiet musician.

‘I used to have that,’ she thought. ‘Come on, Summers, it’s been over five months, and it’s not like you haven’t dated anyone since William.’ She sighed and went to her locker, opening it to get the books she’d need for studying.

She saw William exiting one of his classes and frowned as he slowly approached her, looking somewhat nervous.

“Hello, Buffy,” he said, shoving his hands in his pockets. “How’d your exams go?”

“Fine,” she answered. “What about yours?” He shrugged and looked down. “Well, I guess I’ll see you around.”

“Next year probably,” he said, and she looked at him. “I’m done with exams, and I’m going to London for the summer.” She raised an eyebrow. “Dru’s mum lives there and she invited me to go with her, so-” Buffy could feel her jaw clenching and quickly looked away from him.

“Have fun,” she said quietly, grabbing her stuff and closing her locker. “I’ll see you in September then.” She began to walk away from him.

“Buffy,” William said, and she stopped walking but didn’t turn to face him. “Have a good summer.” She nodded and began walking again, letting a tear escape her eye before quickly brushing it away and walking outside.

* * * * *

The next night, Buffy showed up at the Bronze on Owen’s arm, laughing at a joke he had told about Emily Dickinson. She saw platinum blonde hair out of the corner of her eye and saw William looking at her and Owen with an unreadable expression. Looking away from him, Buffy allowed Owen to lead her to the table Willow, Oz, Xander, and Cordelia were sitting at.

A conversation quickly began at their table, and Buffy soon caught herself watching William and Drusilla dancing. She frowned and chose to look away, scanning the rest of the club. Her eyes fell upon a tall brunette man standing beside the bar, wearing black leather pants and a black shirt.

‘He’s pretty good-looking,’ she thought, seeing a petite blonde woman walk up to him. She was dressed in a black corset and a pleated black miniskirt, and when Buffy thought about it, she wished she could wear something like that and get away with it. ‘I wonder if I could ever wear an outfit that daring. Mom probably wouldn’t let me out of the house.’ Before she could put more thought into it, Willow nudged her.

“Is everything okay?” she asked, a look of concern on her face. Buffy smiled.

“I’m fine,” she answered. “I’m just taking in the scenery.” Willow raised an eyebrow, and Buffy pointed to the guy at the bar, now talking with the blonde woman in front of him. “Who’s that?”

“I don’t know, but he’s hot,” Buffy said quietly, grateful that Owen was busy talking to Xander about the math exam they had that morning.

“Buffy, he may be hot, but I don’t think he’s your type,” Willow said. Buffy shrugged and looked at her friend.

“You never know,” she replied. “He could be exactly my type.”

Willow frowned. “He doesn’t go to school with us,” she said. “He must be in college.”

‘Even better,’ Buffy thought. Owen asked Willow a question, which caused Buffy to focus on their conversation instead of the guy she couldn’t seem to forget about. ‘Maybe one day I’ll get to see if he’s my type or not.’

“Do you want to dance, Buffy?” Owen asked, looking at her. She nodded, and he led her out to the dance-floor. The song was slow, so when Owen’s arms wrapped around her, she tried to remain comfortable, even though it felt like someone was watching her. She saw William a few feet away, still dancing with Drusilla, watching her with a somewhat jealous expression. “Thanks for going out with me tonight, Buffy. I’ve wanted to ask you out all semester.” She smiled at him before resting her head on his shoulder.

When the song ended, Buffy still felt like someone was watching her. She looked at William, but he was busy talking to Drusilla about something as they walked to a booth where her friends were sitting. Buffy shrugged it off, figuring that she must just be paranoid. She never could have expected that the man from the bar was watching her from the balcony with a smirk on his face.