A couple of days later, Buffy and Spike went to the theater in town together to see a movie, but they spent more time whispering comments to each other than paying attention.

“His hair looks like it’s stiff,” Spike said, smirking. “How much hair gel do you think they used on him?”

“A bottle,” she giggled, grabbing some of the popcorn from the tub he was holding. “He reminds me of Angelus.”

“I thought you weren’t going to say that name,” he replied, frowning. She looked at him. “He doesn’t exist anymore.” She sighed and looked at the screen. “Okay?”

“Right,” she answered. “It’s just you, me, and our popcorn.” He smiled and gave her the popcorn tub. “Oh, the key to my heart.” He chuckled quietly.

“Is it really the key?” he asked, looking at her. She frowned and looked down.

“I don’t know,” she said. “I think the lock is broken.” She raised her eyes to his and saw sadness swirling in them. He was about to speak, but she put a finger over his lips to silence him. “Don’t.”

“Later?” he asked, and she nodded. “Okay, pet.” She relaxed in her seat and watched the Angelus look-a-like walking around onscreen, but Spike couldn’t take his eyes off of her. She looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

“You didn’t pay eight dollars to stare at me, did you?” she asked jokingly, her tone light.

“I’d pay my life savings just to stare at you,” he answered, grinning. She playfully swatted his arm.

“You’re so cheesy,” she replied, shaking her head. He grabbed a handful of popcorn and ate it.

“No, I’m buttery,” he said, wiggling his fingers at her. She giggled, and the couple in front of them turned around, shooting glares at them. “Sorry, the lady just doesn’t know how to be quiet.” They turned around, and Buffy elbowed him in his ribs. He winced loudly, and the couple turned around again. “Me either, apparently.” Buffy giggled again and was grateful that the movie ended a moment later. They left the theater and began to walk through the town.

“You’re lucky we didn’t get kicked out of there, buster,” she said, looking at him. “But I’m sorry I elbowed you. Are your ribs okay?”

“I don’t know,” he shrugged, looking at her. “Are yours?” She raised an eyebrow before he began to mercilessly tickle her. She laughed hysterically, not able to stop his assault on her.

“Uncle!” she finally conceded, looking at him with a pout on her face. “That was mean.”

“Sorry, kitten,” he said, running his hand over her hair. “So, what shall we do?”

“Angelus,” she said quietly, looking past him at the brunette man walking down the street.

“I don’t fancy seeing him again,” he replied, oblivious to where her eyes were focused. “I’ve had my share of violence for a week or so.”

“No, dumb ass, he’s coming this way,” she said quietly. “With Dru.”

Spike turned to see the brunette pair walking towards them and grabbed Buffy’s hand, pulling her across the street. She looked at him, confused.

“What are you doing?” she asked, looking at him. “Don’t want to see them? Because I’m pretty sure we’re on their radar right now.”

“I don’t want to deal with them,” he replied, walking faster as he led Buffy down the sidewalk. “God knows what could happen, and I’m not exactly healed up since the last time with the great and mighty ponce.” He sighed. “Besides, I don’t feel like seeing Dru right now.”

“Because you still care about her,” Buffy said quietly, looking down at her feet as she walked. He looked at her, frowning.

“Yeah,” he mumbled. “But not as much as I care about you, luv. You know that, right?”

“I don’t know anything for sure when it comes to you,” she replied, shrugging. “Things changed. We changed. Nothing is as clear as it used to be, and we both know it.”

“It should be clear that I love you,” he said, noticing that her eyes were watery. “Pet, stop for a second.” She stopped walking and looked at him. “I know things changed with us, and I’m sorry that they did. But I still stand by what I said the other day about the fact that maybe we were supposed to change. I think it was a learning experience for both of us, and if anything, it only reinforced the idea that you’re the only woman in the world for me.” She looked away.

“It shouldn’t have taken a year for you to realize that,” she replied sadly.

“But it didn’t,” he said loudly, causing her to look at him, confused once again. “I’ve always known it, Buffy. Always.”

“But then why were you with Dru?” she asked. “I get that you wanted something new and didn’t want to be tied down, but if you really love me like you say that you do, it wouldn’t have taken you a year to dump her. Don’t you get that?” She sighed and began walking again. He quickly caught up, walking beside her. “I don’t want to talk about this anymore. We agreed to just hang out and try building up the friendship again- I don’t want to rehash painful memories. Okay?” He shoved his hands in his pockets.

“Fine,” he replied, looking down. “But can I ask you a question?” She looked at him, worried about what he was going to ask. “When we weren’t together, did you still care about me?”

“Of course I did,” she answered. “I told you before that no matter how much you hurt me, I didn’t want you to be hurt like that, too.”

“Did you still love me?” he asked hesitantly, watching her expression become sadder.

“A part of me did, yes,” she answered honestly. He was somewhat surprised, not expecting to hear that.

“I would’ve expected you to completely hate me,” he replied, raising an eyebrow. She sighed, shrugging.

“You can’t come out of a relationship that long and just suddenly stop loving the other person,” she said, looking down. “Love is forever.”