*I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you*


Buffy looked at the man beside her, lost in his dreams, but at home in her arms.

She couldn't sleep, couldn't do anything but look at him and smile. Even as tears raced down her cheeks, her smile grew wider.

He was here... He was home.

How did she go so long, without realizing how much she loved him? How much she needed him to make her life complete.

For so long she had tried to convince herself that what she wanted was to be normal, to have a normal man to love her.

But she realized after it was to late, that why should she want normal, when she could have extrordinary? She wasn't a normal girl, why did she want a normal boy?

She didn't.

But if you hear something long enough, you'll believe it.

She convinced herself that it was wrong, he was wrong, and she was wrong in messing with him.

He was a vampire. Vampire's didn't love. They weren't supposed to know how.

And yet... They weren't supposed to smile or laugh, weren't supposed to protect their enemies sisters, and they weren't supposed to lie back and take punch after punch from their enemies hand.

Spike had swept through and painted her black and white world red.

He didn't have a soul and yet, even if he hadn't realized it, he sought one and fought for it.

For her.


*Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you*


He truly loved her.

He had to. Why would he put up with her otherwise?

He didn't have to take her shit. He could have told her to hit the road or he could have just killed her. He didn't have to put up with her beatings or harsh words just because he wanted sex.

Spike was gorgeous. The ultimate package, with the cheekbones, the eyes, the body, the accent... He could have any woman he wanted, a different one in his bed every night.

But he didn't.

He wanted her. Broken, confused Buffy.

Because he loved her.

And she had chastised him for it.

It was his fault. He made her feel.

Made her feels things she wasn't supposed to, and she could lie to her concious, tell herself that it wasn't love...

But she couldn't convince her heart.

She had thought she loved Angel, thought her world had crumbled when he walked away.

But she didn't know love until her world had literally crumbled and took him with it.

"You never realize what you have... until it's gone." Xander had whispered in her ear, sitting in the back of the bus, cradling her as she cried.

Because he had lost something as well.

But she had something that he might never have.

A second chance.


*I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true*


Her smiled grew when sleepy blue eyes fluttered open.

"Buffy?"

A tear escaped as he regarded her, concern and love swirling in his eyes.

"I was so wrong..."

His eyes widened and fear flooded them as he listened to her.

"Before... the things I did, things I said... all that time... time that I wasted, when I could've..."

He let out the breath he was holding and found her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze as he wiped her tears away with a smile.

"Things happen for a reason, Buffy. Everything that's happened was meant to be. It's part of something much bigger than us, love."

She sniffled as she nodded and gladly fell into his arms when he reached for her.

"And to tell you the truth... I don't think that I would change a thing."

She pulled her head back and regarded him with a raised eyebrow that could rival his own.

"Even all those times I was hitting you or calling you names?"

He quirked his brow and gave her a thoughtful glance.

"Well, now that you mention it..." He smiled as she giggled, but soon turned serious once again.

"No..." He shook his head and stared out the window, thinking about their past. He looked back at her and she smiled at the light in his eyes.

"I saved the world, Buffy." And he wasn't gloating or bragging-

He was thankful.

She nodded and smiled at him, cupping his cheek.

"Yeah. You did." She brought his lips to hers and gave him a kiss that soothed them both. She buried her head in his chest and sighed, once again thanking anyone listening for bringing him back to her.

"I did for you, you know." Hot tears burned her eyes and her chin trembled as he ran his fingers through her hair. "I'd do anything for you."

The last words were whispered, but they rang in her ears. She lifted her head and tears slid down her face, only to drop and mingle with his.

"I know."

He cupped her face and ran his thumb across her trembling lips.

"I love you, Buffy."

She sucked in a breath and smiled, mirroring him by cupping his cheeks, wiping his tears away.

"I love you, Spike.

The smile that lit up his face made her realize that maybe...

Maybe she wouldn't change anything either.




*Now I'm just rolling home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you*