"It was supposed to be a myth," Sherry replied, studying Buffy's reactions closely. Could it really be true? Oh god, suddenly Sherry hoped with everything that was in her that it was.

Buffy's face remained suspicious and immobile, and she suddenly wished Giles was with her. This was probably another thing covered in the Slayer handbook-What to Do When Confronted and Asked if you Really Exist:Pages 102-104

"What do you know about Slayers?" Buffy repeated, her voice telling Sherry that she was not to be trifled with.

"Sherry, what are you talking about? My daughter isn't...anything," Hank announced with baffled look.

"Gee, thanks dad. I'm really feeling the love here."

"That's not what I meant, young lady, and you know it," Hank insisted. "Sherry, what exactly are you asking?"

Sherry turned to look at Hank but directed her words at Buffy. "During my research for my thesis-I have a masters in art history- I came across an obscure book with depictions of a girl referred to as 'the Slayer'," Sherry began. "It was amazing, the most incredible thing I had ever seen. The thing was, it didn't read like fiction. So I tried tracking down where the book originated from, but I came up with one dead end after another. It was almost as if the thing never existed. Then someone broke into my house one night and that was one of the things that turned up missing."

'Yeah, well that sure reeks of the Council,' Buffy thought to herself. Her stance became less hostile as it became apparent that Sherry was not a threat to her.
"Yeah, mom was major obsessed, let me tell you," Blair announced, studying Buffy carefully. She had always thought her mom's obsession was kind of off, but the whole myth WAS cool. Buffy... a Slayer? Nah, too weird. Her mom was whacked on this one.

"I guess you could say it became my obsession. I traced it as far as England, and then the trail turned cold. It's always in the back of mind though. But it was incredible. I know I keep repeating that, but there was just something about the whole thing. The pictures, the stories..." Her voice trailed off in awed reverence and she looked at Buffy once more.

Are you...?"

Buffy's mouth flattened to a grim line, then sighed with resignation. "Maybe."

"Sherry, what are you talking about?" Hank asked again, desperately wishing he hadn't consumed as much alcohol as he had in such a short period of time.

Sherry took a step closer to Buffy, her face filled with a sense of profound wonderment. "I had the feeling there was more to the story, that's why it gripped me so. Wait." Her eyes widened with dawning realization. "If you're real, then that means...."

"I think we better talk about this later, ok? If you hadn't noticed, but now is really not the time for me to come out of the closet."

"Are vampires real?" Sherry pressed as if Buffy had not spoken.

Buffy couldn't help the small snort that escaped and hoped that Sherry hadn't heard it. Swinging a crossbow over her shoulder, she replied, "Yeah."

"Are you both out of your mind?" Hank asked, his eyes wide with incredulity.

"See, I told you we didn't have time for this! He's so not going to get it!" Buffy accused Sherry, then called over her shoulder, "Spike!"

Spike turned around from his conference with a group of his men. "What?"

"Can you show them that vampires are real?"

"What?"

Her nervousness gave way to irritation. "Vampires. Proof. Hello?"

"Oh. Right." With a coarse grinding of facial bones, Spike's face slid into his vampiric visage; then just as quickly, smoothed out. He looked at Buffy. "That good enough?"

"Better be," Buffy grumbled, just wanting to get to the ass kicking part of the evening, now having even more extra tension she needed to work out. "Your game face looks funny with make-up on though. Anyone ever tell you that?"

"Fuck you, Slayer." Spike turned his attention back to his men and Buffy looked at her dad, who now appeared frightened. Somehow, this proving her innocence thing just wasn't nearly as satisfying as it should have been.

"Why are you looking at me like you're scared of me, dad?" Buffy asked slowly, certain that her night could not get any worse.

Hank shook his head and was just about to answer when a loud boom was heard and the earth began moving under their feet. A gaping hole became visible in the back wall when the cloud of residual smoke died down.

"Since when do vamps use explosives?" Buffy cried, eyes widening as a stream of the undead began pouring through the new access.

"Get down!" Buffy yelled at her dad, pushing Sherry and Blair behind a table. She threw them a couple of stakes. "Any of them come after you, stick this through their heart."

"Just like in the book?" Sherry asked

Buffy allowed a brief smile to light up her face. "Just like in the book, Sherry."

With that, Hank watched his only daughter jump into the fray and could only watched stunned at what he was witnessing.

Risking a whisper to Sherry, he asked, "What exactly IS a slayer?"

"According to the book I found, it's just one girl Chosen to fight vampires. That's why I thought it was just a myth, but there was just something about the way it was written," Sherry replied, wishing she had a camera to memorialize this moment. "Your daughter is incredible, Hank. Look at her."

And for the first time, Hank saw his daughter through new eyes. And she was magnificent

**********
Two weeks later

Buffy brutally stabbed her tater tots which put her lunch tray in major peril. Using her quick reflexes, she caught it just on the brink of disaster before it tumbled to the cafeteria floor.

It had been two weeks since that night. Two long, lonely and boring weeks of virtual HELL on the Hellmouth.

Major ass had been kicked that night in LA, but did Buffy manage to have a happy ever after?

Why no, of course not. Thanks for asking.

After they had dusted the last vamp, Moron Spike said "good work, Slayer," handed her over to her father and then JUST WALKED THE FREAK AWAY!

And in two weeks? She hadn't heard a word. She was beyond miserable and pissed at herself for getting so bent out of shape about SPIKE of all... things that it just made her that much more damage bound. How DARE he ignore what she knew damn well he had felt too! He owed her anyway, for helping with those lame gang vamps. The stupid jerk hadn't even thanked her, just sauntered away with his buns looking majorally grabable in those wicked hot leather pants. Probably went to go blow the 'crapper' up so he could maintain his little story for his little groupies that went to see him night after night.

Not fair.

Now her dad was in on the "big" secret, and that was all kinds of good. They were working up to a time to tell her mom, but Buffy was just thankful for one parental support unit. Sherry was driving her nuts with phone calls and questions, but in a good way, and she really missed Blair, who had been the only one to keep her sane these past two weeks.


Her dad had wanted to tell her mom right away, but Buffy talked him out of it. Shockingly, he agreed, and it was just nice to to see how proud he was of her; over something besides pelvic grinding with sexy vamps on stage anyway. But no one had been hurt and because it happened behind the stage, the patrons were none the wiser, leaving Buffy to believe that people in LA were just as stupid as they were in Sunnydale.

Because Buffy knew if she told her mom about the whole Slayer gig, she would have to tell her about the battle which would lead to Hank taking Buffy to a club in the first place and Hank was more than happy to dodge that bullet, not eager to experience the ex-wife issued anticipated lectures of parental irresponsibility.

Not to mention that Spike was not a name she wanted brought up in Sunnydale. Buffy knew Giles would have cow-age of major proportions if he knew Buffy not only had not staked Spike, but assisted him in battle to defend his title as the Master of Los Angeles. And how could she tell her friends that she did some major dirty dancing with her mortal enemy on a stage in front of her dad and however many people?

"Earth to Buffy, come in Buffy," Xander called, frowning at the once again distracted Buffster.

Buffy shot her head up from her intent focus of destroying what the school cafeteria decided to pass as food that day. "Sorry, Xan, was I being Space Case Buffy again?"

"Well maybe a little," Willow replied. "What with the mutterings and dark looks, plus you with the stabbage of the lunchy goodness. It kinda makes you wonder."

Buffy flashed them an apologetic smile, something she had been doing quite frequently lately. "Sorry guys. I guess things are just kinda getting to me lately."

"Not getting your smoochies from Angel?" Willow asked sympathetically, thinking she had a clue as to what was troubling her friend.

Buffy worked hard to smother her panic face. "Uh, maybe something like that." Poor Angel. She'd been all avoidy girl and Angel was starting to get suspicious that something was up and had taken to following her around. His bleak face was starting to get on her last nerve.

"Ah yes, the old sexual frustration. Know it well," Xander announced, settling in his chair and tipping it back on two legs. Realizing what he had revealed, Xander hurried to amend his statement; causing the other two girls to brush away his lame attempts at regaining his studly status. Or lack thereof.

The bell that signaled the return to hell rang, and the threesome got up with a synchronized groan.

"Hey, we Bronzing it tonight, or what?" Xander asked.

"I think Bronzing goodness is just what Buffy needs," Willow announced, linking arms with her friend. "I hear there is a new band playing tonight too. Think Angel will want to go?"

Buffy barely managed to refrain from saying "I hope not," saving herself by giving a vague answer. She missed the worried look that Xander and Willow shared over her head, as she was once again lost in Buffy-land.

tbc

a/n- ok, I know skipped a whole scene, but I HAD to get to smoochies! thanks ever so for all of the awesome reviews!