chapter 20


    Buffy could feel her stomach churning and tightening into knots the closer they got to her house, anxiety causing her pulse to race and she wanted nothing more than to beg Spike to just take her away. Anywhere but having to face the wrath of mom. Even the knowledge that she wasn’t the troublemaker she was alleged to be doing little to calm the nausea that threatened to spew.
 
    When Spike pulled the powerful black car up to the curb outside her house, Buffy threw him a suspicious look.
 
    "And you knew where I lived because....?"
 
    If she expected an answer, she didn't get one as Spike merely sent her a sexy wink and hopped out of the car.
 
    This time Buffy stayed put and waited for him to open her door, now knowing that somewhere deeply ingrained in his mutated makeup, gentlemanly manners such as door-opening were of the important.
 
    Plus it made her feel all girly and that was something she didn’t get to feel everyday.
 
    Spike took her hand and began leading her up to the door, her feet growing heavier and heavier the closer they got.

"Don't make me go in there!" she begged, snatching her hand away and leaping off the walkway to take cover in the shadowed part of the yard.
 
    With a snarl, Spike followed and grabbed her, his fingers digging into her shoulders. His intense eyes bored into hers. "Your mum is in there worried about you, luv. Wondering where SHE went wrong, what SHE did to make you do the things she thinks you did. She doesn't deserve that, and YOU don't deserve that either."
 
    Buffy bit her lip and tried to look away, but Spike caught her chin with his hand. "Come on, pet. No acting like a scared little girl. Go face your mom like the slayer you are. You've got nothing to bloody well be ashamed of."
 
    At her arched eyebrow and pointed look, Spike grinned. 'Wot? You mean me?"
 
    The front door to the Summers house flew open and Buffy’s mom was suddenly framed in the entryway, flipping on the outdoor lights that didn't do much to chase away the lingering shadows.
 
    "Buffy?"  There was a frantic tone that wasn't usually present in her mom's voice.
 
    With a sigh, Buffy turned to face her mom. "Yeah, it's me."
 
    Seeing her daughter’s silhouette, Joyce’s face suddenly closed off and she pointed sternly into the house. "You get yourself in here right now, young lady!"
 
    With a resigned sigh, Buffy looked at Spike. "Are you... uh...coming?"
 
    He snorted impatiently. "Bloody right I'm coming in. Not letting you go through this by yourself."
 
    Her relieved smile warmed him.
 
    "If you have someone with you, I think you need to tell them to go home," Joyce announced frostily, seeing Buffy emerge from the shadowed part of the yard, but not alone. "We have something to...Oh!" Recognition lit up her face. "William?"
 
    Spike smiled easily in response, shoving his hands in his duster pockets and ducking his head in a beguiling manner. "Hello Joyce."
 
    Buffy turned to regard him curiously. "William?" she mouthed, then rolled her eyes. Somehow this did NOT surprise her in the least.
 
    What DID surprise her was watching her mom‘s flustered demeanor; her hands traveling to her waist to smooth down the non-existant wrinkles of her blouse before making their way to allow the same treatment to her hair. Her mom was acting NERVOUS, for crying out loud and Buffy threw an exasperated look at Spike's deceptively innocent manner.
 
    Shaking her head in disgust, Buffy stomped up the steps to the porch, inwardly cringing when she saw the bloodshot eyes her mom sported. Obviously her newfound status as a satan worshipper had been celebrated with whatever was in the liquor cabinet. Great.
 
    Joyce gave a nervous laugh as she watched William trail behind her daughter. "I had no idea you even knew where I lived," she commented inanely.
 
    Buffy gave a rude snort. "You know, that's exactly what I said."
 
    Blazing eyes were pinned in her direction and Buffy didn't think she'd ever seen her mom look so...furious. "Buffy Anne Summers! You, young lady, are in a heap of trouble, so I suggest you just keep your mouth shut."
 
    "Mom, I-"
 
    "Not a word," Joyce warned and turned to Spike, giving a small self conscious laugh. "William, I apologize. I've been having some problems with my daughter; I am beyond mortified that you have to be here to see this."
 
    Buffy's mouth gaped open as she gazed at the woman who had surely just lost her mind. "Mom, I think-"
 
    Her mom rounded on her, face set with fury. "Buffy, you WILL be quiet."
 
    Buffy looked helplessly at Spike and her temper flared at his grin. The bastard thought this was funny! Her hands fisted tightly at her side and she glared at Spike who dared to wink at her.
 
    "William, this is my daughter, Buffy." Joyce's voice dripped with insincerity.  "Buffy, this is William, a valued customer from the gallery."  The look on her mom's face clearly read 'you do anything rude and I will kill you.'
 
    And she had thought being busted by Grandma at the hotel had been horrifying.
 
    After receiving another infuriating wink from Spike, Buffy was forced to bear witness as he became all Mr. Charming Guy, a disgusting schmooze-fest taking place that kept Buffy's frozen with incredulity,. Yet another reminder that Spike in Code Evil status was the most dangerous of all predators, and there was no doubt that this recent change of emotions was truly for the good.
 
    But…Buffy had to hand it to him. He was damn good, even though she had to work hard to tamp down the flare of jealousy at her mom's weak attempts to return the subtle flirtation, cringing with all the embarrassment of her teenage years.  An invite into the Summers inner sanctum had been smoothly obtained and Spike had efficiently herded them inside, her mom never realizing that Spike had never acknowledged the introduction to the troublesome daughter. 
 

   Buffy felt the urge to smack her mom’s cluelessness, but had to give Spike credit where it was due. He had prevented a scene of mass proportion from taking place, knowing full well that whatever was said would pass from their porch to the neighbors’ loose lips in seconds flat, an entire network of revolving door gossips that sometimes acted like their neighbors living in the houses surrounding them. 
 
    And that was something her mother WOULD totally blame her for, her fault or not.
 
    But, it didn't mean that Buffy was forgiving him either, especially after seeing how much he was enjoying himself, the cool amusement flickering in the depths of his expressive eyes. It wasn't like he had to ENJOY her mother's ill-concealed interest because that was just... wrong, Buffy decided with a pout. And icky, she added, crossing her arms defensively against her chest.
 
    Stupid schmoozing vampire.
   
    And god, her mom? Buffy watched as she fluttered over to the liquor cabinet to refill her drink and pour one for Spike, then had to stomach the coy look when she handed said beverage over, insisting that he have a seat, leaving Buffy standing in the entryway, all but ignored.
 
    Through narrowed eyes, Buffy witnessed Spike's casual sprawl into the indicated chair, the leisurely sip of his newly acquired scotch and soda. Oh god, the nausea was building.
 
    What popped the cork for the incredulous was when her mom turned to her, making sure to keep her back to her "guest" and allowed her very stern mom face surface. "Upstairs now," Joyce whispered harshly, pain and disillusionment clearly shadowed in those bloodshot eyes. "I'll deal with you later."
 
    Buffy's mouth dropped. Again. Her eyes flew over her mom's shoulders to catch the no longer amused expression on Spike's face, not wanting to admit that her mom's tone had managed to cut her down.
 
    "Joyce."
 
    Buffy knew Spike well enough to hear the dangerous taint of anger in his voice that was revealed with that one spoken word.
 
    Joyce whipped her head around in confusion to stare at this version of William, who no longer resembled the charming Englishman she'd had the pleasure of selling many pieces to for his club in Los Angeles. But she now noticed the intensity of his gaze was pinned on her daughter and her head shot back around, her eyes widening with un-spoken question when she saw that Buffy returned William’s scrutiny.
 
 
    Suddenly feeling very stupid, Joyce clutched her fists tightly and her mouth tightened in a grim line. "You already know Buffy."  
 
 
      
 Tbc…

Reviews so very very appreciated!!! and look, so very motivating! Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to review!!