New story! I ripped some lines, concepts from My Girl. :)

Chapter 1

“I hate you!” Buffy ran up the stairs, sobbing all the way. “I never, ever want to see your stupid face again!” She slammed her bedroom door and fell against it. Leaning her head back, she could hear her friend crying as well. “Go away, William!”

“I take it back!”

“I don’t care! I still hate you!”

***

After minutes of silence, William sat close to her closed door. He experimentally wiggled his fingers underneath it and yelped as Buffy pounded on him. “Hey!”

“Go away,” Buffy demanded, her voice hoarse.

“I’m not. I take it back…it’s just you’ve been so mean lately.”

“It has nothing to do with them! They can get a stupid divorce and I won’t care!”

“You can stay at my house,” William suggested, wiping his nose on the back of his hand. “I’ll give you the top bunk.”

“You’d give me the top one just because you’re too much of a baby to use it yourself. Every time you climb up there, you cry and your mommy has to get you down.”

“Do not,” William pouted, knowing it was true. “Fine, you can live in the dog house then.”

***

Buffy recognized him instantly and she glared holes into his head. I can’t believe it, she thought.

“Buffy, come meet my friend.”

“But…food,” she whined, her little plate empty as Cordelia drug her away.

“Buffy, this is William.”

They looked each other in the eyes, both of them silent.

“William is a teacher and he’s going to start teaching at the high school.”

“Oh,” Buffy said, as she wondered if she should quit her job as counselor at Sunnydale’s only high school. “What do you teach?”

“English,” William answered and Buffy huffed and rolled her eyes. “You actually counsel kids? On what, how to do their hair and the art of cheating on their boyfriends without getting caught?”

“You asshole,” she hissed, tears filling her eyes. Without thinking, Buffy kicked William in the shin with her pointed shoe. As he yelped and cursed Buffy ran out of the party.
***

“I’m sorry, I still hate you but not as much.” Buffy sat next to William on the curb. “My dad’s moving away tomorrow.”

He nodded, “My mom bought macaroni and cheese with the dinosaur shaped noodles. I’m having it tomorrow after we go to the Natural History Museum…my mom already said you could come over.” William picked up a twig from the ground and poked her bright pink sneaker. “Your shoes are bloody ugly, Buffy.”

“I’m telling!” Buffy shot up to her feet. “You’re such a potty mouth! I’m telling!”

“Don’t” William chased her as she ran through the yards and to his house. “No!”

***

“William, what the hell was that about?”

“Nothing.” He grimaced, rubbing his sore leg. “Stupid--. Will she ever grow up?”

“You were the one that accused her of being bad at her job,” Cordelia pointed out. “I think you deserved it but still, I’ve never seen Buffy act like this.”

“I have,” he grumbled.

“What?”

“Nothing.”
***

Buffy giggled and William’s eyes filled with fear.

“No, not the blue stuff,” he whined. “I’ll never do it again, I swear.”

“Liar, liar,” Buffy danced as William’s mother was about to wash his mouth out with soap. “He said my shoes were,” Buffy motioned for her to come closer and she whispered the rest in her ear.

“William,” his mother scolded.

“I’m sorry,” he said, tears in his eyes. “Please, no…”

“Buffy, maybe you should go home.”

“No, I wanna watch.”

***

“Here’s more water.” Buffy handed him two full water bottles. William gulped them and then spit in the road. “Ew!” Buffy wiped her bare leg where he had splashed her.

“I’m never going to get this soapy taste out of my mouth.”

“You shouldn’t swear.”

“You shouldn’t tell. You’re such a tattle tale, Buffy.”

“Am not.” Buffy squirmed as he spit again. “You’re gross!”

“You wanna see something great?”

“Yeah.”

“Look,” William took a swallow of water into his mouth and he pushed it out of the hole where his two front teeth used to be. “See? I’m a fountain,” he said proudly.

“You’re stupid…do it again?”

***

Buffy got in her car and let her tears slide down her face freely. She looked in her rear view mirror and gasped, noticing her makeup was also making its way down her cheeks.

“I hate him.”
***

“What happened to you?”

“Do you like it?” Buffy puckered her lips and curtsied. “I feel like a lady,” she proclaimed. Sitting carefully, she struggled to cross her legs.

“You look like a clown.”

“Do not!”

“And your lips,” William wrinkled his nose, looking closer, “Are they bleeding?”

“No!” Buffy scrunched up her nose as he laughed at her. “You know what I can do now?”

“What?”

“This!” Buffy held his face between her hands, leaving a big red lip print on his cheek.

“No! You kissed me,” William screamed in horror and wiped his face frantically.

“Be quiet or I’ll do it again.”

***

William sighed and watched from a safe distance as she fixed her makeup and hair.

“Never figured out why she fussed over all that stuff…she’s beautiful all on her own.”

“So, you’re back?”

William turned, seeing Buffy’s younger sister. “I am, Dawnie.”

“Buffy hates you.”

“I know and I’m not very fond of her either at the moment.”

“When are you guys going to loosen up? How long has it been?”

“Looking at the pretty bruise on my leg, I’d say not long enough.”
***

Buffy drove home with the radio off. She pulled into the driveway of her childhood home that she now owned. Entering the house, Buffy dropped her keys on the tabletop and kicked off her shoes before heading upstairs to run a bath. Minutes later, she lowered herself into the hot water and laid back, her thoughts, like always, focusing on William.
***

“Buffy, did you sit in something?”

“I don’t know.” She struggled to look behind her and looked confused when her shorts had a red spot. “Ew.”

“Your mom is going to get mad, I bet those pants are ruined.” William smiled, knowing that Buffy was in big trouble.

“Well, you’re dumb.” Buffy climbed back on her bike, ignoring her dirty shorts. “Last person to my house has to buy me ice cream!”

***

“Mom! I think something’s wrong with me!” Buffy ran into the house with William on her heels.

“Mrs. Summers! Help!”

“What? What? Calm down.”

“Ms. Summers,” William panted, “Buffy’s bleeding or something.”

Buffy’s mom widened her eyes. “Where is the blood coming from?”

“I’m not telling with him here!”

“Me? What did I do?”

“William, go watch TV and wait for Buffy, she’ll see you in a little while.”

“Oh, ok. She won’t die, right?”

“No, dear, she’ll be fine.”

***

“That goes where?” Buffy swallowed. “Does everyone know about this? Is everyone okay with this?”

“It’s normal, Buffy. Do you want me to help you?”

“No way.” Her small hands clutched the pads and tampons. “I’ll do it by myself. Tell William to go away for me.”

“Are you sure? You could tell him, he was really worried about you…”

“Oh, I don’t care, just leave me alone!” Buffy slammed the door to the bathroom.

***

“I hate you.”

“What did I do now, Buffy?”

“Nothing and that’s the problem. You’re a boy and just because of that I hate you. Get out of my house!”

“You’re crazy!” William ran as Buffy chased him, punching him as they went.

“And don’t come back for five to eight days!”

***

“Where are you staying?”

“At the house.”

“Buffy bought mom’s house,” Dawn said. “She’ll see you.”

“Let her, it’s a free country.”

“And you’re going to work at the high school with her, that’s not good.”

“We’ll have to make it work,” William said, frowning. “How long has she worked there anyway?”

“Two years, mom got her the job. She’s good with the kids, they trust her.”

William nodded, “You need a ride, pet?”
***

“I waited nine days just to be safe.”

“Good.”

“So, you wanna swim?”

“No, I don’t want to wear a bathing suit around you.”

“Why not?”

“Because you’ll look at me, mom said so. I don’t want you to look at me when I’m nearly naked.”

“I wouldn’t!”

“Yes you would,” Buffy nodded, confidently. “Mom said other stuff too but I don’t want to tell you…you wouldn’t be able to handle it.”

“Like what? Give me a hint?”

“She told me…come here,” Buffy pulled him close and cupped her hands around his ear. “She told me about birds and bees.”

“She didn’t!”

“Shhh, she did and it’s so, so gross.”

“Tell me, I like gross things.”

“No, you like germs and mud and stuff. This…it’s so gross, William.”

“Tell me,” he pleaded.

“Ok, but it’s a secret. Promise you won’t tell anyone.”

“I swear, I won’t tell anybody.”

“Pinky swear.” They linked little fingers and Buffy moved closer. “You’re going to puke afterwards.”

“Just tell me.”

“Ok, well it involves a lot more than what we thought…what those pigeons were doing is nothing. People kiss until they lick each other’s tonsils--.”

“I got my tonsils taken out, Buffy.”

“Looks like you’re going to be left out then.” Buffy ignored William’s frown and she continued, “Then men and women, they like lock together and stuff.”

“What do you mean?”

“Mom said it’s like finding your key. I have a special spot that only the perfect key can open.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad, Buffy.”

“That’s what I thought until she told me that boys have their keys in their pants!”

“I always keep my house key in my pants’ pocket, I’m not a girl, I won’t use a purse--.”

“William! Not in your pants!”

“But you said…”

“I mean under, under your pants and underwear…it’s not a real key, maybe you’re too stupid to understand. Boys, a part of them, goes inside a girl.”

“Inside?”

“Yeah and it’s so gross and mom said it’s really messy but it’s ok if people are in love and married.”

“Messy? How?”

“I’m not saying anymore! I’ll have to draw you a picture or something! You go ask your mom or mine.”

“I don’t want to ask them, they’re girls, Buffy.”

“So? I’m a girl too.”

“No, you aren’t. You’re…you’re just Buffy.”

***

“Dawn, it’s about time.” Buffy came down the stairs in her robe, drying her hair with a towel. “Did you see William at Cordy’s party? What an asshole, he’ll never change.”

“Hey, pet.”

Buffy shrieked and closed her robe tightly. “What are you doing here? Get out!”

“I gave Dawn a ride, seems that her sister abandoned her.”

“William,” Dawn frowned. “It’s alright Buffy, I could’ve walked.”

“I’m sorry,” Buffy said weakly.

“It’s alright, I know that you were upset.”

“Yeah,” Buffy looked at William and blinked. “I was really upset.”

“Buffy…”

“No,” she turned and ignored him. “I’m going to change. I hope you’re gone when I come back down.”
***

“That was awkward.”

“No, actually that’s the best that we’ve acted since…a long time ago,” William said. “I should go and prepare for the hell that’ll be Monday.”

“Where’s you classroom gonna be?”

“Second floor.”

“Oh…”

“Her office is on that floor, isn’t it?”

“She moved to a bigger office this year,” Dawn said quietly. “Just avoid her.”

“I’ll do my best.”

“It was nice seeing you, William.”

“Likewise, bit.” He gave her a hug before walking across the street.
***

“He’s still so beautiful…” Buffy closed the blinds once William went into his house. “God, I miss him so much.”
***