A week later, Buffy walked into Lilah’s office and took a deep breath before sitting in the chair in front of her editor’s desk. Lilah looked at her employee with a stern expression.

“Why haven’t I received your article yet?” she asked, crossing her arms. “It’s been more than enough time.”

“I just don’t know how to broach the subject of the lead singer,” Buffy answered honestly, looking down. “Every draft I’ve written makes him sound like a jerk, and even though he is, a part of me can’t write something that’s so clearly negative about him.”

“Were you boning him or something?” Lilah asked, raising an eyebrow, and Buffy looked at her boss, shocked.

“What?” Buffy asked, hoping she didn’t give away the truth.

“Not to sound unprofessional, but I don’t see why you’d be on this guy’s side after everything he did to his friends,” Lilah replied. “And I’m guessing that he did something pretty horrible to you, as well, but that’s not keeping you from telling the public how awful he is. So, what gives? Did you two have a secret tryst? Several midnight romps?”

“If you expect me to discuss this with you, think again,” Buffy replied, both upset and angry. “You’re my boss, and you’re right- you did sound unprofessional.”

“Then don’t think of me as your boss for a minute,” Lilah suggested. “Think of me as your friend.” She paused. “Or therapist, your choice. I might be more comfortable with the latter.”

‘So would I,’ Buffy thought. ‘But I just want to get the hell out of here.’

“There’s nothing between Spike Crawford and I,” Buffy answered, looking down. “There was for a little while but not anymore. That’s all I’m going to say on the matter, so don’t try forcing out more.”

“Do you owe him anything?” Lilah asked. “And I’m not talking about money or material items.” Buffy looked at her boss. “Did he hurt you? Emotionally?”

“Sure, but I deserved what he said, and it’s not like I didn’t say some pretty wretched things to him, too,” Buffy replied. “I know it should be easy for me to write this article and blame everything on Spike, but I really don’t think I want to do that. For some reason, I don’t know if he deserves it.”

“Maybe because on some level you still care about him,” Lilah said, shrugging. “But one of the rules a reporter is supposed to follow is to not let your emotions get involved. That can lead to forming biases or not writing things accurately, which in turn makes an article not so print-worthy. Understand?” Buffy nodded slightly.

“Have you talked to Angel?” she asked quietly, and Lilah nodded. “How does he feel about me writing the article still?”

“He said it’s your decision if you write it and what the content is,” Lilah answered. “I think he feels pretty betrayed, just like the other two band-mates, but he’s a survivor.” Lilah laughed quietly.

“Did he say if the other two guys were going to keep the band and replace Spike, or are they maybe just going to call it quits, too?” Buffy asked, and Lilah shook her head, studying the woman sitting in front of her.

“Careful, Summers- it almost sounds as if you’ve formed an attachment to these guys,” Lilah smiled, and Buffy looked down. “I only know the bare minimum about what’s going on. If you want answers, go see Angel. I’m sure my cousin can fill in the blanks for you.” Buffy stood up. “But remember what I said about involving your emotions in the article.” Buffy looked at her editor. “Letting your feelings dictate an article doesn’t always lead to the best reports. They tend to make things boring.”

“Feelings are what make you human,” Buffy replied, walking to the door before looking at her boss. “But I guess you wouldn’t know anything about that, Lilah.” Buffy walked out of the office, and Lilah smiled, nodding.

‘There’s hope for her yet,’ she thought.

* * *

Less than an hour later, Buffy arrived on Angel’s doorstep and took a deep breath before knocking on the door. He opened it and was surprised to see her.

“Hello, Buffy,” he said, opening the door wider so she could walk inside.

“Hi, Angel,” she replied, moving past him and looking around the large loft apartment. “This is really nice.”

“It helps when your parents have money sometimes,” he said, smiling softly. She returned the gesture. “Can I get you anything? A drink, perhaps?”

“Actually, I just came to get some information,” she answered. “About the band.”

“And Spike?” he asked, looking at her with a knowing expression. She looked down. “Have a seat.” He ushered her to sit on one of the black leather couches in his living room area. She sat down and watched as he walked to the kitchen. “I have water, soda, juice, a bottle of Jack Daniels…”

‘Probably left over from Spike,’ she thought, sighing.

“Soda is fine,” she answered, and he returned to her, handing her a can. “Thanks.” He nodded and sat down on a parallel chair.

“So, I’m assuming you’re still writing the article?” he asked casually, clasping his hands together.

“Yeah,” she said, shrugging. “Your cousin is kind of forcing me to.” He laughed.

“I assumed as much,’ he replied. “Well, fire away, Miss Reporter. What do you want to know?”

“Is the band over?” she asked. “Or are Xander and Oz looking to replace Spike?”

“That’s all up in the air right now,” he answered. “They don’t want it to end, so I’m betting that you’ll see them onstage again eventually.” She smiled and looked away. “You miss him, don’t you?”

“I miss being away from Sunnydale,” she said quietly. “And all that that implies.”

“Do you want to hear about him?” he asked, noticing that she was slightly fidgeting.

“It’s probably best if I don’t,” she answered, looking at Angel once again. “It’ll only make things harder.”

“Why is that?” Angel asked curiously.

“Because my feelings will get in the way of me writing my article,” she said. “Well, that’s what Lilah thinks, and sadly enough, I have to agree with her. Reporters aren’t really supposed to have feelings.”

“Explains the cold-hearted bitch vibe you used to give off,” a voice said from above them. She froze as she looked up at the loft, seeing Spike appear at the railing. “Hello, cutie.”
***************************************************************************




A/N I know that ending the chapter here was mean, but if I had continued on, this chapter would be tremendously long, and I like to keep them fairly short. I know that there's been a lack of Spike in both this chapter and the last, but trust me, there's A LOT of Spike in the next one LOL About reporters and feelings- I'm not a reporter, so I don't know how much of that is true. If anyone has suggestions for how Buffy reacts to Spike in the next chapter, feel free to tell me what you think and maybe I'll incorporate one or two into it. Thanks bunches!:)