Chapter 2



William stood looking at Druscilla for a moment wondering how the hell she could know what he was there for. *She’s always known things you git; didn’t she warn you that time about that cheatin bastard Riley O’Finneagan? Saved you from being put into a pine box she did. *

Taking her delicate hand from her locks he pressed a gentlemanly kiss on the top of it gracing her with a wicked grin, “Miss Dru, you always did know when I was here to make trouble.”

Faith snorted rolling her eyes at him and took back Druscilla’s hand holding it in her own. “So you’re here to play another game with Buffy’s heart are you?” Faith bit out angrily, “ Why the hell doesn’t that surprise me? Can’t you leave well enough alone.”

He looked at Faith his face darkening, “I didn’t have anything to do with leavin her in the first place sweet. I was forced to leave without her but that problems been taken care of. “ His hand slid down to rest on one of the matching Colt revolvers snug against his hip. “Dead and buried you might say.”

Anya abruptly pushed her way to the front with a look of disgust, “ So you killed whoever was forcing you to leave? Shot him dead like my….my….” Her face crumpled suddenly as she burst into tears and wailed, “XANDER.”

William looked at her with an expression on his face something akin to shock as the young woman collapsed against him sobbing.

“ Xander? Xander Harris?” He asked Faith pain seeping into his blue depths for a moment before shifting back, but long enough for her to catch.

Stepping down, she pulled the shaking girl into her arms looking at him as if trying to take his measure. “He was shot down by that no good loser Riley. Last week, shot in the back. He survived long enough to tell her that he had wanted to marry her and he loved her. Now he’s gone and Anya’s only got us.” She paused the hardness of her expression melting a bit, “You hurt her again….and I will hunt you down William.”

Realizing she was giving him her blessing for him to find Buffy in her own odd way he nodded, “I hurt her again, you won’t have to luv, I’ll do it myself.”

Wrapping her shawl around Anya’s shaking shoulders she started them up the stairs Druscilla following close behind. When they reached the top she turned one last time and said to him, “She’s in her room, “ hitching her chin the other direction, “ you know the way.” And with that guided the still sobbing girl into one of the other rooms and closed the door behind them.

William looked at Willow and Tara the pain no longer hidden in his eyes was heartrending to see. “Xander?” He managed to choke out before sitting heavily down on the steps.

The girls immediately crowded around him arms wrapped tightly around his shoulders as he tried to hold back a sob.

Willow looked at Tara and receiving the same look decided to tell him everything. “Let’s take a table, I don’t know bout you two but I could use a drink.”

Tara took William’s hand and led him to a nearby-unoccupied table as Willow went and procured a bottle of the house finest.

Setting the bottle hard on the table with a resounding thunk, she pulled the cork out and took a long swallow before offering it to William. “The best rotgut in all of 12 counties,” She said watching him take a deep drink himself with satisfaction before starting in on her tale of Xanders demise.

“He was walkin home from here Will. Leavin his Anya to go back to his piece, his homestead. And that no account scoundrel O’Finneagan shot him in cold blood, left him dying in the middle of the street bleedin out like he wasn’t even fit to spit on.”

Tara watched closely as this new information shook the blond man terribly. Taking off his hat she sat it on the table and ran a soothing hand over his brow, “There was nothing anyone could have done for him William. It was late and no one was even about. Sarah Marie and Matthew heard the shot from their home above the general store, that’s when we found out.”

Taking another deep drink from the bottle William wiped his mouth with the back of his hand his fingers clutching tight around the glass.

“Riley?” He ground out his eyes hard as ice.

Tara opened her mouth to reply but couldn’t so Willow answered for her. “We don’t know what happened to him. Last anyone saw he was riding for Santa Fe. Buffy put a price on his head though.”

Tara nodded grimly, “ A hefty one at that, doubt that man will make it to the border of New Mexico let alone out of the state.”

William chuckled humorously staring at the table, “She always did take care of her girls didn’t she?”

Willow reached over and put a hand on top of his looking into his eyes when she got his attention, “She’d take care of you too if you’d let her Billy Rose.”

Nodding at her he said, “S’why I had to come back. For her. She’s my everythin Willow, she’s m’ heart and soul, without her….”

“You’re lost.” Tara finished for him smiling softly at him as he nodded sadly.

“M’lost.”


*********************************************************************************
Hope you all are enjoying this so far.....Reviews are always nice :D