Title: Figured it Out
Rating: PG/PG13
Pairing: Spike/Buffy
Summary: They looked at each other in silence for several moments, the back of Spikes hand still touching the swell of her breast. Then, in a move that rivaled the most clichéd movie romance scenes, they simultaneously reached forward, Buffy going for Spikes head and hair with both of her hands as Spike wrapped one arm around her sitting form, pulling her towards him and laid the other hand on her cheek as their lips meet in a passionate kiss.
Spoilers: AU- Post- S4 Spoilers. i.e. that Spike is somehow going to join the Scooby gang. Mentioning of some “Something Blue” scenes.
Total Story Word Count: 7 402
Author Notes: This is written for Hils for btvs_halloween on livejournal. The assignment was Fluffy Spuffy. Thanks to my beta Angela (spikesbint) for the editing & Jaqui (shagmedraco) for being my bouncing board and giving me the support I needed.
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters from either Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel: the Series, they belong to Joss Whedon, David Greenwalt, Fox, WB, ME, UPN and the other affiliates the shows might have. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

~*~
Figured It Out – (1/2)


”I got it.” Buffy happily exclaimed. Spike looked up, surprised at her outburst, glad for whatever distractions she might be able to provide for him. He was rather bored at the moment truth be told, though he would never say it out loud. He was so whipped.

”Luv?” He asked after a few moments from the other side of the table, but his slayer and her mom ignored him, both of them were too wrapped up in the planning to even bother looking up.

The three of them had been working on the seating arrangements for over two hours now. Although they had seated all of Buffys relatives who would be coming and all of their friends fairly quickly, -as Spike didn’t really have anyone outside of the Scoobies and Buffy didn’t really know most of her relatives and the only reason she’d invited them was because Joyce had said so-, the main issue had been where to seat Angel.

Buffy argued that as Angel was Spikes only remaining family now that both Dru and Darla had been reduced to dust, he should be sitting with them at the top table, especially since the others from LA would. Spike of course, who even after 5 years of being a white hat and having worked with Angel several times during the years, still didn’t like him. All those years when he had been a fledgling and Angelus had tormented him, forcing him to become another version of him wasn’t something he was able to let go, even if he knew that Angel wasn’t Angelus. Not to mention the fact that Angel had been Buffy’s first love and first lover and he really didn’t want him to be there for their wedding. Spike might be a bit possessive, but damnit the woman was his.

Five years ago, during the summer after the Scoobies had Graduated High School, Whistler had somehow roped Spike into helping the Slayer and her merry band. He didn’t quite remember how it had happened, as he had been extremely drunk at the time, but he did remember Whistler telling him that they needed a vampire who could help the Slayer now that Angel had left town. Spike had tried everything he could to get out of it, but after a few very painful weeks he’d left New York for Sunnydale. Whistler had told him that the longer he resisted, the more intense the pain would be for him, and Spike didn’t like pain all that much. Well, at least not when it was inflicted on him.

When he arrived in Sunnydale, with Whistler at his side to ensure that he wouldn’t receive a staking in greeting, the pain just went away. Whistler had warned him that the pain would return again if he ever tried to leave Sunnydale without either the Slayer or the Watcher by his side. He had bitched and moaned about having to become a traitor and helping the Slayer, but with time he came to enjoy it. It was far more fun to fight demons that could throw a punch than mere humans who did nothing but scream and cry.

And now, 5 years later, Spike, AKA William the Bloody, Slayer of Slayers, Scourge of Europe, was marrying the Slayer. ‘Only on the Hellmouth’, he thought happily.

The only reason he was even considering human marriage was for Buffy and Joyce’s sake. To Spike, they were already married. His mind flashed back to that night almost 4 years ago when he’d first claimed her and she, to his utter surprise and happiness, had claimed him right back. Apparently, his girl had been reading up on Vampire Claims and Mating, as she knew just what to do and what it would mean for, and to them.

As the Mating ritual was usually only performed between Vampires, the bond would literary last forever. As Buffy had reciprocated, the bond was mutual and they would therefore share their strengths with each other and most of their weaknesses would disappear. Spike could still remember the first time he saw the sun in over a 100 years, and how he’d held on to Buffys’ hand so hard that had she been any other girl, it would’ve broken for sure. He could also clearly remember the first time he’d been able to look at himself in the mirror for just as long and how surprised he’d been over the changes in his face. Then again, he hadn’t really remembered clearly what he used to look like, as looking at himself in mirrors had not been something William took pleasure in and only did it to make sure his clothing was right.

After their Mating, Buffy had moved into Spike apartment and she hadn’t left since. They still argued like crazy, but now they did it with words instead of fists and the making up part was so good that Spike often started fights on purpose because of it. Over the years that Spike had been a part of the Scooby Gang, his apartment had become Scooby Central of sorts, and with Buffy moving in, to him it seemed that they never left. Not that he minded of course, having spent so long with Angelus, Darla and then with just Dru, he liked being around the somewhat naïve teenagers, even if they did get on his nerves from time to time.

When Giles bough the Magic Box later that same year, they usually had their meetings there instead, but even so, his place was the place they liked to hang out in; even now that Xander was married and his wife, Anya was expecting their second child and now that Willow and her girlfriend Tara were talking about adopting a child on their own.

Over the years Spike had begun to suspect that his girl wanted to get married the human way someday. Being the Slayer didn’t diminish her need to have something normal, something almost all the other girls had. In fact, being the Slayer and being mated to a Vampire had probably only enhanced that need and Spike was nothing if not loves’ bitch and there was little she wanted that he didn’t willingly and happily give her. He knew that she wanted to have children, and that being with him meant that she couldn’t have any. Because even if he could walk outside and more or less pass for human, he wasn’t alive and he couldn’t produce children. But this, this he could give her.

With only 2 weeks left until the wedding, they still hadn’t finished arguing about the seating arrangements and it was getting on all of their nerves. It had been hard enough to get Buffy to understand that he did not want to get married indoors, just so that Peaches could be there, when they both wanted be married outside in the sun. She had said that it was rude of them to do so, and that it would seem like they were throwing it in his face that he couldn’t be out in the sun, like they did it on purpose, but Spike had held fast. It was their wedding and he wasn’t going to let Peaches ruin another moment of his life. Personally he couldn’t understand why Angel would want to be there to see the two of them get married in the first place unless it was to ruin their wedding. Buffy had argued that it was in the past and that he was happy now, and happy for them, but Spike had only snorted. He knew that Angel still thought of Buffy as his and he’d be damned if he’d let Angel near her before, during or after the ceremony.

When Spike mentioned that she had been the one to suggest that they’d get married outside, and that she’d wanted to get married outside since she was a child, she’d agreed, but made sure that he would be the one to tell Angel that he wouldn’t be able to be there for the actual ceremony.

Spike had done so with a very happy and bright smile on his face and Buffy was sure that Angel could hear the glee in his voice. She and her mom, who’d heard the whole conversation, had to hide their smiles at his childish behavior.

At the moment, Joyce and Buffy were discussing whether or not her father should be allowed to sit with them at the top table too. He’d been invited and had accepted, but Giles would be the one to walk Buffy down the isle, something Hank probably took for granted was his job. They hadn’t felt the need to inform him that he wouldn’t be the one, as they doubted he’d even show up, even if he’d accepted the invitation.

Spike sighed and stood up from the table, walking into the kitchen and tuning out ‘his girls’ voices. He couldn’t understand why they’d invited him either when the man was clearly not a good one, cheating on such a lovely woman as Joyce and then leaving her and Buffy. How anyone could leave either of them, he didn’t know. Hell, in all the years he’d known Buffy, he’d never met her father. He hadn’t even been there when she’d Graduated Sunnydale University or any other major thing in her life. He for one wasn’t going to embrace or welcome his future father in law with open arms. He already had one and his name was Rupert Giles.

He glanced out of the kitchen window and smiled when he saw the various groups of children walking around outside, their parents or baby sitters walking closely behind. As it was beginning to get dark, there weren’t a lot of kids outside anymore and the fleeting thought of patrol entered Spikes mind before he discarded it. The demons in town had finally realized that you laid low on Halloween, even on the Hellmouth.

Spike walked up to the fridge and after opening it and glancing around at the various treats inside, he extracted a bag of blood. He then took out his favorite mug from the cupboard. Buffy had given him the mug as a joke in the beginning of their partnership. It was black with red blood dripping letters, which used to read; ‘kick the big bad’. After they got together, Buffy crossed over the ‘kick’ and wrote ‘kiss’ over it. Then she’d leaned up to Spikes waiting lips and proceeded to do just that.

He emptied the blood into the mug and put it in the microwave, pushing the right buttons on auto pilot as his mind wandered back to that night, exactly 4 years ago, the last time a demon had thought it a good idea to start something bad on Halloween.

Spike had been visiting Willie for a bit of blood and information when he’d found out that a new demon who’d just rolled into town, a Pishurk, was planning on –surprise, surprise, – opening the Hellmouth and raise Hell on Earth. He’d hurried to Giles’s place and found the entire Scooby Gang present, preparing for the movie night he’d been late for. After the usual ‘hellos’ and what might pass for pleasantries, Spike got straight to the point and told Giles about the demon and his plans.

“And here I thought this Halloween would be dull.” Xander quipped.

“Xander. This is serious. The Pishurks’ are a highly dangerous species of demons, if he wants to raise Hell on Earth, he will.” Giles turned towards Buffy who sat on the couch next to Xander, as Xander looked down on the floor, feeling ashamed. “Your only chance to stop him is to prevent him from opening the Hellmouth in the first place.” He said and Buffy nodded, standing up from the couch and feeling herself getting ready for battle.

“Right. So Spike and I will go out and look for this thing. He’s probably at the School already, so we’ll go there first.” Buffy said, walking over to Giles’s weapons chest and opening it.

Spike smiled inwardly. A year of patrolling by her side, sparring with her several times a week and verbally fighting with her almost every day and he still couldn’t get used to the way she glowed as she got into battle-mode. ‘Come to think of it,’ the poet streak still remaining inside of him piped up, ‘she always glows.’

Spike sighed quietly. After having been tricked, -there was no other word for it really,- into helping the Slayer and the Scoobies he’d come to view her in a different way. He’d always wanted her; from the moment he’d seen her dancing in the Bronze. His desire for her had only grown after he had danced with her himself in her school on Parent Teacher Night years ago. Since then, his feelings for her had grown to a point where he could barely be in the same room as her without starting to have fantasies involving the two of them in very compromising positions.

Buffy didn’t look at Spike as she collected various weapons from the chest, she just held out his favorite weapons to him without thinking or looking up. In the year that they’d fought and practiced together, they’d grown so attuned with each other that often they didn’t need words to communicate.

Of course, thanks to Red and the Wolf Boy leaving that had changed now. During Willows ‘do-thy-will-spell’ a week ago, Spike and Buffy had not only thought they were getting married, were in love and made out like hormone-crazed teenagers, but they’d spent a great deal of their spell influenced time in Giles spare bedroom, doing things Spike had only dreamed off.

Ever since, they’d been avoiding each other on patrol and when they happened to be in the same room, they avoided each other’s eyes.

Spike frowned. That wasn’t exactly true. He wasn’t the one avoiding. Buffy was. He’d happily pick up where they’d left of when the spell ended, -he believed they had been making out on a mausoleum floor and were quickly approaching more, - but alas, the Slayer had another idea. ‘Just like her to muck up my plans,’ Spike thought with an ironic smile on his face as he accepted his favorite sword from the Slayer.

‘Although’, he mused as he followed her out of Giles house, watching her ass sway as she walked in front of him, ‘she can’t have been all that unaffected. After all, she did break things off with that farm boy.’

Riley Finn. The boy had been a thorn in Spike side ever since they’d first met almost 6 weeks ago. He’d been at the Bronze with Xander and Oz, shooting some pool as they waited for Buffy, Willow and Anya to arrive. When the girls showed up, the two couples quickly moved onto the dance floor, leaving the Slayer and the Vampire on their own. Buffy took over for Xander at the pool table and the two had spent almost an hour playing pool together, laughing and joking, and Spike had relished being close to her again, outside of patrol. She’d had had her finals the week before and had spent all her time studying or worrying about the tests.

Spike had been getting them something to drink from the bar when Riley had shown up.

Apparently, he was the TA in Buffys Psychology class and they were ‘close’. After a quick glance at Spike, who had waved her off with an aloof expression on his face, she and Captain Cardboard, -a very fitting name according to Spike-, had gone to the dance floor, leaving him alone by the pool table with two drinks in his hands.

That had been the start of their relationship, which, to Spikes knowledge had never progressed further than making out. And now it was over.

He knew that Riley had never liked him, and seemed to be on edge when they were around each other and he knew it was ridiculous of him to think it, but he couldn’t stop hoping that he might’ve had something to do with them breaking up.

He’d already known that he was in love with Buffy at that point, and now she’d hopefully realize that she felt the same, or was at least beginning to.

They walked together in silence to the old burnt out High School, and when they entered it they found the Pishurk, along with some friends, already standing in a circle around the Hellmouth. Buffy and Spike glanced at each other fleetingly before jumping into the room and starting to kick demon ass.

After a long and hard fight, Buffy and Spike finally stood victorious among the dead demons that littered the Library floor. Buffy had gotten hurt during the fight and as Joyce wasn’t at home and Giles’s house was to far away, Spike took her home to his apartment.

When Spike first joined the Scoobies, he had been living with Giles. He wasn’t able to buy himself an apartment or house, as technically, he was dead. To help him out, Giles had contacted a few old friends and all of a sudden, Spike was William Giles, a 25-year-old Oxford Graduate and his own son. When he’d asked Giles why he had made him his son, Giles had said that not only was it easier to do, but it made the most sense at the time. And, as he’d begun to work with the Council, and getting paid by them, it did make sense.

It wasn’t the first time Buffy had been at his place to get patched up after a fight, as she preferred Spike to do the patching up than her mother. If Joyce knew of all the times Buffy had gotten hurt, seriously hurt, she’d demand that she quit being the Slayer. And it didn’t quite work that way.

After motioning for Buffy to sit down on the closed toilet lid in his bathroom, Spike helped her out of her jacket and top, doing his best to ignore the breast he had been dreaming of for years being clearly visible and the fact that the only thing keeping them from his view was her red bra.

‘It just had to be red didn’t it?’ Spike thought as he turned his back on her, opening the medicine cabinet and taking out his first aid kit, while trying to get his raging hormones under control.

Her wound, a large gash tight under her right breast, had already started to clot, but Spike knew he had to get it cleaned up. Who knew where that demons knife had been?

With experience that only came with a lot of practice, he set to work, cleaning the wound and dressing it, doing his best to ignore the soft skin under his hands, the heart beating away right by his ear, the scent of her skin and hair and her blood just right there for him to just lean in and lick off. He was doing a mighty fine job of ignoring his urges until, after finishing dressing the wound, he began to stand and the back of his hand accidentally brushed against her right breast.

Buffy inhaled sharply and they both froze, looking each other in the eyes for the first time since the spell had been broken, any fleeting eye contact during the fight excluded as that had been pure habit.

This though…

They looked at each other in silence for several moments, the back of Spikes hand still touching the swell of her breast. Then, in a move that rivaled the most clichéd movie romance scenes, they simultaneously reached forward, Buffy going for Spikes head and hair with both of her hands as Spike wrapped one arm around her sitting form, pulling her towards him and laid the other hand on her cheek as their lips meet in a passionate kiss. Their tongues battled for dominance for a few moments before they parted slightly, allowing Buffy to breathe. They stared at each other, both of them breathing raggedly and their lips swollen and red. Then they leaned in again, their lips and tongues meeting in a heated kiss.

That was the night that they truly made love for the first time, although it had been making love for Spike while under the spell, this time it was real.

And later that night, when he had held Buffy’s sleeping form in his arms and whispered to her how much he loved her, he’d been very pleasantly surprised when she’d opened her eyes, smiled at him and before leaning up and kissing him had whispered; ‘I love you too.’

That had brought another round of lovemaking, and that round turned into several more.

The next evening, as they announced that they were together, the Scoobies had happily accepted it. Xander did complain, but only as he lost the bet he and the rest of the Scoobies had made. He had put his money down on them being able to last another week. That had brought a round of laughter and though Buffy hadn’t appreciated her and Spike being in a bet, she did see the humor of it. Especially when Giles announced that he was going to take them all out for dinner, and paying for it with his winnings. Turned out that it hadn’t been just the Scoobies involved in the betting on when the blond couple would finally get together.

Spike was brought out of his thoughts of the past as Buffy came up behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist and kissing his neck. He turned in her arms and leaned down slightly to kiss her properly, making her breathless as usual.

“All done with the seating then luv?” He asked her after regaining his composure. It wouldn’t do for him to lose control with Joyce only being in the next room. No matter how much he wanted to.

“Yeah.” She said and he crooked an eyebrow at her in question. “Angel is sitting with us,” she put a finger over his mouth to stop his protests, “but as far away as possible.” She finished and Spike groaned.

“Fine.” He said, turning towards the microwave that he hadn’t realized until now pinged quite a while ago.

“But if he starts anything…” He warned her and Buffy smiled up at him.

“I’ll personally kick his ass all the way back to Ireland.” She said.

“As long as we’re clear.” Spike said, wrinkling his nose at the now cold blood. He put it back into the microwave and pushed the buttons again before turning towards Buffy and kissing her, Joyce be damned. It wouldn’t be the first time she’d catch them in a compromising position anyway.

Continues in Part 2