Author's Chapter Notes:
Here it is: the last part of William's little story about asking a girl out. Thank you for reading. :)
Monday morning after his second class, William leaned against his locker and watched Buffy chat with some girls on the other side of the hall. His eyes widened in surprise when she turned suddenly and marched over to him.

“William?”

He frowned at her tone. She seemed annoyed, but he couldn’t figure out what he’d done wrong. “Yeah?”

“You’re my boyfriend now, right? So maybe instead of pretending to go to your locker and then staring at me like a creeper you could just come over and say hi, give me a quick kiss–”

He didn’t wait another second. His hand cupped the back of her head and his mouth slammed against hers for a deep, possessive kiss. When he finally pulled back, they’d gained an audience and Buffy was almost breathless.

She stared at him for a moment before nodding. “Yeah. That’s…good, really…umm, maybe less tongue…at school, but that’s better.” Blushing, she left for her next class a few seconds later.

William watched her walk the length of the hallway and grinned as she turned the corner. For the first time in his life, a teacher stepped in to the hall and asked him if there was a reason he wasn’t in class.

He laughed. “Yeah, yeah. I’m goin’.” William Pratt was no longer a girlfriendless loser.



Tuesday morning on the drive to school, Buffy turned to him with a sheepish expression.

He watched her bite her lip and held back a groan at the thought of kissing that lip all better. “What’s up?”

“Okay, see, I know that you like help out in the lab at lunch time and that’s cool…I mean it’s nice that you do that and I don’t want to be one of those girlfriends who are all needy and clingy and stuff. I guess I’m just wondering if you have to do it every day. It would be nice if you could come to lunch with me sometimes…if you want to.”

“You want me to come to lunch with you?” He gave her a quick glance before bringing his eyes back to the road.

“Well…yeah. I mean if you can’t or don’t want to or–”

“I can. I’ll come today.” She wanted to spend more time with him. He soared.

Her invitation, knowing that she wanted him there, didn’t really make it less awkward to talk with her friends. They weren’t a bad sort, they all said hi and gave him a quick smile, but most of the conversation seemed to be in a short hand that he didn’t know and featured in jokes that he wasn’t in on. All of that seemed far less important when Buffy was holding his hand or whispering silly explanations in his ear or insisting that he finish her French fries.

William had been lulled into an almost relaxed state when Xander Harris ended a long and strange story with the claim that karma existed to ensure global justice and it was just a matter of time before a dark fate landed on the girl that had mocked him for asking her out last weekend.

William scoffed. “Please. If there were any justice in the world, I would be six feet tall, have a massive knob and a hovercraft.” It was the first thing he’d said to the group since muttering hello when he sat down.

They all turned to him with wide-eyed surprise.

He was about to apologize, when Xander nodded. “The man brings up a good point. Where are the hovercrafts?”

William grabbed on to the lifeline. “It’s like dirigibles, the technology is there.”

Oz, who William thought might actually speak even less often than he did but managed to look comfortable anyway, gestured with his fork. “Society lacks vision.”

Xander and William nodded in unison while chorusing wistfully. “Yeah.”

Buffy frowned and glanced around. “Is this a Star Wars thing?”

Xander groaned as though in pain before reaching over the table to clamp a large, sweaty hand on William’s shoulder. “Really, man. We like Buffy, but you have got to do something about this glaring gap in her education or we aren’t going to be able to let her sit with us anymore. It’s embarrassing for the group as a whole.”

Before he even understood what was happening, William had plans for a Saturday Star Wars movie marathon with the entire table group. He couldn’t decide if he was dreading it or looking forward to it. Buffy was smiling though and he decided that was all that really mattered.

It occurred to him that evening that if she was his girlfriend it would be almost assumed that they would go to dances together. He decided that he’d check with her and find out.

It still took him three more days to ask.

It was Friday and they were most definitely not watching the movie they’d rented from the red machine in front of the grocery store. It played in the background two full times as a handy cover in case his parents came home. Kissing, William decided, was a very special form of torture. Before he’d done it, kissing Buffy had always seemed like an end goal in itself. Now the kissing seemed like a first step, the taunting entrance into a whole world of inching forward and getting pushed back. Buffy had made it clear that she wasn’t going to be jumping on board the sex train any time soon and he accepted that, intellectually. Physically, it was more complicated. He genuinely didn’t want to push, but his body sometimes seemed to act without signals from his brain. The problem was that she said that she didn’t want to rush into the physical stuff and then did insanely hot things. She had actually climbed onto his lap about an hour earlier and, while she swatted his hands when he’d tried to slid them down her back and onto her ass, every single time she leaned forward he could feel her nipples press against his chest and her stomach press against his cock. He considered it a miracle he wasn’t weeping from the frustration.

He lifted her up and pressed her down towards the other side of the couch. “Hold on,” he ordered before closing his eyes and trying to think of something that was not sexy. He’d heard the old cliché about thinking of the Queen but he’d watched The Young Victoria with his mum and thought Emily Blunt was more than all right.

“William?”

“Just need a minute, yeah?”

“I could stop.”

His eyes shot open. “No! Just let me cool off for a mo and–” He stopped talking and frowned. She was giggling. “What’s so funny?”

“You. You’re face. I didn’t mean stop forever. I just meant stop for tonight.”

“I know that.”

“But you looked…horrified.”

“Well, yeah.” He shook his head, irritated and a little embarrassed. “Look, when is that dance?”

She frowned. “What dance?”

“You know, the prom or whatever?”

“May.”

“Will you go with me?” His heart stopped. The world was completely silent as he watched her forehead scrunch in confusion.

“We’re not seniors. You can’t go to the prom unless you’re a senior or your date is one.”

He huffed slightly. “Fine. But ours, then. Go with me.”

Her eyes widened and she shook her head slightly. “You’re asking me to the prom two years ahead of time?”

“More like seventeen months.” He wanted to scream. Why was she so hung up on the details?

“That’s kind of crazy.”

“Right, then. Fine.” He stood up and started walking out of the room. He didn’t intend to leave for good; he just needed a moment alone.

She followed him. “William, I just meant that a lot can happen in that time. What if we break up?”

He froze and turned back to face her. His face was an unreadable mask. “Why are you breaking up with me?”

“Not now. I just meant–”

“No. I understand. In this break up scenario, the one that you are already thinking about, why are you ending things?”

“Maybe you would leave me.”

“No.”

“William.”

“No, Buffy. I won’t break up with you. You know I’m only being honest. I…” He sighed heavily and his head tilted to the side as he looked at her. “Am I already doing something wrong?”

She shook her head. “No. Of course not.”

“Are you still thinking about…do you still like Angel?”

“What? No. Gross!” She took another step towards him and placed her hand on his chest. “I like you. I really like you. Okay?”

He nodded. “Can I be your date for the prom? Please.”

She laughed softly. “Okay, but remember to get a wrist corsage instead of the kind you have to pin over a girl’s boob. Those suck.”

William grinned widely and nodded. “What about the dances before the prom? Will you go to all of those with me?”

“I didn’t realize that you liked school dances this much.”

“I don’t. I just…I just like you this much.”

Her cheeks pinked as she ducked her head. “I’ve heard that the junior prom is especially lame.”

“Going would make you happy though, right? Putting on a pretty dress and all.”

She nodded. “Yeah. Going with you will make me happy.”

“Brilliant.” He grinned and bounced slightly. “Bloody brilliant.”

She rose up on her toes to kiss his cheek. “You really are very strange.” Her hand came up to tangle itself in his hair. “But apparently I like strange boys with curly hair.”

“I’ve been thinking about bleaching it.”

“Your hair?” Her eyebrows went up comically.

He nodded. “I need an edgier look, right?”

“Not if you want to be my prom date.”

“You already agreed to that, love. Can’t go adding clauses to the contract now.” He watched her roll her eyes and laughed. Buffy Summers had agreed to be his prom date. He knew immediately that his life would never be the same.


Chapter End Notes:
Does anyone have a warm and or fuzzy feeling?