The Plot Thickens

The monastery was deserted and eerily quiet. The door slightly ajar. Buffy had the disturbing feeling that Glory had beaten her to the punch. Buffy found herself fervently hoping that the demented deity was long gone, because Buffy was in no condition to take on a God. Give her a couple days to heal up and she would kick this girl's godly butt. But today she was working on walking without a limp. In the foyer she found bodies, five clergy men. There would not be open caskets.

Buffy swallowed hard, trying to calm the bile rising in her throat. These were innocents. You didn't get much more harmless than a bunch of monks. Buffy was about to leave when she heard a low moan coming from her left, up the stairs. She crept carefully up a dozen stairs and walked stealthily into the sanctuary. A monk, badly beaten and bruised, dressed in bloody maroon robes, was tied to a chair. His eyes were unfocused and his head was lolling to the side. Buffy quickly began to untie him; assuring him she had some experience in this kind of thing. "And best of all," she told him brightly, spinning and grabbing a petite woman by the throat. "I'm not stupid."

Quicker then Buffy could blink the woman swiped her hand away like a fly than casually backhanded her. Buffy flew across the room, landing hard against the wall and sliding to an ungraceful heap on the floor. Buffy struggled awkwardly to her feet. Ow, that so did not feel good. Yep, not up to taking on a God today. "You sure about that last part?" Glory asked smugly.

Buffy decided she didn't like her. For starters she had no fashion sense. That had to be one of the worst perms she had ever seen, her nose needed extensive work, and that red scanky dress screamed five dollar whore. Buffy told her so too. This enraged the woman and she advanced on Buffy quick as spit, grabbing her arm and hurling her into another wall. Buffy was not feeling the love at this point. Buffy tried going on the offensive, peppering the skank with lightning fast punches that had no effect. The woman shot out and grabbed her arms suddenly pinning them to her sides. Oh fuck.

"I always wanted to try this. You know that thing with worms, where if you have one, you rip it in half, and you get two worms?" she smiled at Buffy, "Do you think that'll work with you?" Buffy desperately head butted her in the face and the blond perm God reacted with shocked indignation, demanding to know if Buffy was crazy. As Buffy continued to smack her head into the God's all she can think about is the monster headache she is going to have. The only damage she seemed to be doing was to Glory’s temper. She seemed to be getting quite furious and her voice rose to a shout, "You can't go around hitting people! What, were you born in a barn!"

Finally Buffy managed to twist out of the other woman's iron grasp and threw a roundhouse punch that connected with a gratifying crunch. But her satisfaction was short lived when Glory managed to grab her next punch, smashing her small hand painfully, and declared, "Fine! Be that way!" Glory swung her against a concrete column and quickly punched two large chunks out of it in her efforts to smash Buffy's face. She succeeded in grabbing Buffy by the throat. "Just noticed something. You have superpowers. That is so cool! Can you fly?" And with that Glory pitched her like a softball. She hit the floor hard and slid like a sack of garbage right past the monk. Not a good day today.

Buffy has a brief moment of insanity where she considered flying back into battle but she knows she hasn’t got a chance in…wherever this Bitch is from. So instead she scoops up the monk. There's no way she is getting past that crazy lady to the door. Buffy dashes for the window, half dragging the poor monk. "Hey!" Shouted Glory. "Hand's off my holy man!" Buffy braced herself for impact and flew through the window. All she could think as she struggled to get her body on the bottom to absorb the impact was how much this was going to hurt. The ground came up to meet her fast and hard and Buffy actually bounced. She stared at the skyline and wondered if she could just lie there and wait for sunset. She could feel Spike coming. He was furious and terrified. But he wouldn't be able to get out of his car to help her. Sunlight and all. Maybe he would have sense enough to call Giles. Somehow she couldn't picture Spike using the telephone.

The God was screeching and stomping in the monastery, obviously mad as hell. The whole building started shaking and Buffy was trying really hard to find the strength to get up. The building began to crumble in on itself just as Spike's Desoto came screeching up beside her. She pulled herself up and pried open the back door, shoving the monk inside none too gently. She crawled in over him and slammed the door. Spike threw the blanket he was using to shield himself aside, and floored the accelerator. Buffy looked through the scratches in the back window to see Glory clawing her way out of the wreckage. Her attention was brought forcefully back to the monk when he gripped her arm in a surprisingly steal grip.

"My journey is done, I think." He whispered brokenly. "You must protect the "key". Many more will die if you don't keep it safe." He rasped.

"What is the "key"?" Buffy asked desperately. She hated to pump a dying man for information but he may not have much longer and she needed to know how to stop that crazy loon back there. She brushed his hair back from his eyes and cupped his face with gentle hands. He was so pale. She knew instinctively that he wasn't going to make it.

"Its energy." He replied weakly. "It's a portal that opens the "door" For centuries it had no form at all. My brethren, its only keepers . . . then The Abomination found us. We had to hide the "key". Gave it form... molded it flesh... made it human and sent it to you." Oh God, Oh God. Someone she knew was the key. But she hadn't just met someone. Spike? That made no sense, she had known Spike for years. "Dawn." He whispered "Dawn is the key. We knew you would keep it safe. You are our only hope."

"You put that in my house," Buffy says, accusingly. "My memories, my mom's?"

"We built them." He says so softly that she almost can't hear him.

"Well un-build them!" Buffy snapped. She felt violated. Her sister wasn't real. They had fucked with her memories and her life. How much of her life was real, and how much was fabricated. Her anger faded as the man begins to cough violently, blood trickling from the corner of his mouth.

"You cannot abandon..." he tries to say.

"I didn't ask for this!" Buffy says, "I don't even know— what is she?"

With a peaceful expression, the monk replies, "Human. Now, human... and helpless." He coughs again. "Dawn is an innocent, she needs you now."

"She's not my sister?"

"She doesn't know that," he said, just before he died. Spike squealed to a stop in front of the hospital, under the overhang, and turned to her. Buffy tried to fight the tears in her eyes. She had seen so much death; she was so tired of death. Spike came around to the back door and she helped slide the monk into his arms. She leaned on him heavily and they limped into the hospital.

Spike stayed by her side as she was treated. A nurse tried to tell him he had to wait in the waiting room but he vamped at her and she carefully stayed on the other side of the bed after that. Buffy was in so much pain she didn't even care. No one else questioned his presence by her side. The painkillers brought wonderful bliss, but also triggered her emotions. When the doctor's and nurses finally left her side she began to cry great heaping tears that shook her body. Spike crawled up the bed to lay along side her and carefully held her, stroking her hair. She clung to him like the lost child she was and bawled. Later the police woke her with questions. She stuck mostly to the truth, giving a pretty good description of Glory and her insanity.

They of course seemed doubtful, but no one could question that she had leapt from a second story window. Or the dead monk. But Buffy could admit that her story of going to the monastery to seek spiritual guidance seemed a little far fetched. But hey she was pumped up on massive amounts of morphine and all was good with the world tonight. She was vaguely aware of Spike growling and snapping at someone over visiting hours being over as she drifted in and out of consciousness. He never left her side.

At some point the next day she was visited by her mother and sister, and later her friends. Buffy found she really couldn't be bothered with things like smiling or keeping her eyes open. But by that evening Buffy was ready to leave the hospital. Her bones were mending nicely and the horrible rocking sensation that had plagued her had finally tapered off. Mental note to self, do not use head as a weapon against all powerful God's. So she wasn't a hundred percent yet, she had a God to defeat and no time to sit around tripping on morphine. The doctor's made her mother sign un-recommended discharge forms. She should have been in the hospital for weeks. So sorry to disappoint your billing department.

Scooby central that evening was Buffy's living room. Spike was furious, pacing restlessly back and forth. He was almost healed, his shoulder giving him almost no pain. He rubbed his ribs absently through the fabric of his shirt. Spike had yet to say anything to her about how foolish it had been to go alone. But she knew it was coming. Spike wasn't one to keep his mouth shut about anything. Judging by the nervous look Giles wore Spike had already torn into him. She would have to talk to him about leaving her friends alone. But if he was angry at her and the Scooby's, nothing compared to the blind violent rage he felt towards Glory. Every time her name was mentioned he let out a low growl and she felt a flood of fury through the bond.

Giles listened to her story with his usual respect. He did not look pleased. Not that she could complain. She had just had her ass thoroughly kicked, and she couldn't blame it completely on her injuries. Nothing she had tried had even fazed Glory. The building had crashed down on her and it barely slowed her down. She was frightened that Spike would try to find her, take her down. She knew his strength but he was no match for her. She would have to make him promise. Spike had yet to lie to her. She didn't think it was in his nature.

Buffy looked at Spike and he tilted his head and listened. It was remarkable the way he was so in sync with her. She didn't even need to ask. "Snack Size is in her room, door's shut. Your mum's in the bath. Jasmine bubble bath." Buffy smiled at him and he smirked back at her. She wondered what Dawn would think of being called Snack Size by a Vampire. How did he know the door was shut, she'd have to ask him. She relayed to the group in hushed whispers what she had learned about the "key". To say they were shocked was an understatement. Except Giles who seemed fascinated by his memories.

Just as they were moving onto the Faith problem, the doorbell rang. Buffy got to her feet nervously and shuffled to the door. Would a God ring the doorbell? Spike shadowed her like an overgrown watch dog, but she was grateful for his presence behind her. She would have to get over this whole leaning on Spike thing. She was just fine before he came along. Stupid Vampire. She mentally braced herself before opening the door. She would have rather seen Glory. Faith was leaned up against the doorjamb in a pose very much like Spike's the week before.

Before Buffy could say a word Faith dropped into a fighting Stance hissing "Vampire". Not a good idea with the way Spike was itching for a fight. Spike immediately vamped, "Slayer" rolling off his tongue like honey. He gave Faith his most cocky grin and opened his mouth for some snarky comment. But Faith gave him no time; she whipped out a stake and pounced. Spike darted past her out the door to meet Faith head on. As much as Buffy would like to watch Spike kick Faith's bony butt, he still wasn't healed yet. And Bitch or not, Faith was human.

Spike flew into the dark haired girl, knocking her stake aside, gripping her arm and sending her flying against a wall. Buffy winced with sympathy, having been thrown into a couple of walls herself recently. She hobbled into the yard, trying to get between them. But needless to say compared to the fighters she was moving at a crawl. And all the shouting in the world wasn't doing any good. Spike was in full protection mode. Faith stumbled a few steps before straitening up to meet the Vampire flying at her full speed.

They were a blur of fists and fangs. Spike wearing that crazy grin of his that let the whole world how much he was enjoying the violence. Faith managed to produce a knife from somewhere and got a jab in. Buffy felt the sharp echo of pain. Spike retaliated by gripping her wrist and twisting brutally until she dropped the bloodstained blade. Then he smashed his fist into her face, hard. She finally managed to pull Spike back enough to get between them and narrowly missed Faith's punch that was aiming for Spike. She so did not need this right now. Spike was literally bouncing on the balls of his feet behind her. It gave her a sick twisted sense of satisfaction to know that she could say the word and Spike would rip Faiths throat out. Not that she would ever allow such a thing. But it was nice to know that the option was available.

"B! What are you doing? Hello Vampire!" Faith exclaimed, obviously puzzled. And people called her blond. Buffy rolled her eyes and shook her head.

"Did it ever occur to you to wonder why this Vampire might have an invitation to my house, ya know, all hanging with he Scooby's?" Faith looked flabbergasted. Her mouth opened and closed a couple of times. "Spike you might as well quit dancing around because unless she threatens one of us you are not going to fight her."

Spike moved into her personal space, slipping one hand around her waist and nuzzling her neck. He calmed instantly. "Doesn't threatening me count?" He muttered and she repressed a grin. On one hand she was embarrassed that Spike was cuddling up to her in front of God and Everybody. On the other hand she was absurdly pleased by the look on Faith's face. Faith was always going on and on about her adventure's, sexual and otherwise. But Buffy was willing to bet Dollars to Donuts that she had never even come close to truces with Vampire's that ended up with them in her bed. But Faith could never keep her mouth shut.

"God B, what is it with you and the undead. Not that you don't have excellent taste in Vampire's." Faith struck one of her 984 sexy poses and let her eyes travel suggestively from Spike's toes to his head. Buffy stiffened visibly.

"Let me eat her luv," Spike purred in her ear. So not helping. Faith heard him and wiggled suggestively. Buffy snapped. Later she would classify this as one of her insane moments.

"The only Slayer you'll be eating is me!" Buffy turned and stormed into the house, leaving a yard of very surprised people and un-people, as they were. Spike could take that amusement she was feeling through the bond and shove it where the sun didn't shine. Which was pretty much everywhere for Vampire's. Arhg! Well he could stuff it somewhere unpleasant that was for sure.

They didn't give her much respite; it was only a few minutes before everyone followed her inside. Her mom was hovering on the staircase, in her grey bathrobe. "Is everything all right honey?" She asked anxiously.

"I'm sorry for bothering you mom. Go ahead and finish your bath, everything's fine." She waited as her mom walked up the stairs and returned to the bathroom before whirling to face Faith. "Want to tell me what you're doing here, Faith." Buffy snarled.

Spike stood by the door, blocking retreat. Buffy let her eyes flicker to his abdomen where he had been stabbed. He would be fine, but she could tell that the wound hurt like a bitch. Other than the dark spreading mass on his black tee, he gave no indication that he was wounded. Faith stretched her body up like a cat might and rolled her hips in a purely indecent way. "Oh, no good to see you Faith, How was the coma?"

Buffy took a threatening step towards her sister Slayer. She really was in no condition to fight her but she would not show weakness in front of Faith. She cursed the slight limp she couldn't hide. "Relax, B! I'm thinking of going all white hat now, or maybe grey. Point is I'm here to help you."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "And I should believe you why?" She didn't even try to keep the venom out of her voice.

"Because, I was hired to kill you." Faith gloated and let her words sink into gasps and silence. "Some crazy Bitch with a bad perm fixed my coma and told me the price was to kill you and capture your pet Vampire. I thought she must be talking Angel but apparently…" Faith let her voice trail off giving Spike a lusty look. Spike curled his tongue under his teeth and stared back. Buffy felt sick