Chapter 5

Spike was lying on his four poster bed reading when he first heard the commotion and whispers upstairs. He listened carefully; making sure it was Dawn and Buffy, not some unwelcome intruders out to collect a debt. When he ascertained it was his girls, he smiled and extinguished the candle he’d been reading by and slipped under the covers wearing only a pair of jeans. He didn’t want to be found indecent, especially since he noted two additional heart beats along with the Summers girls’. He lay back and closed his eye, feigning sleep and awaited their arrival, curious as to what they were up to.

Upstairs, Dawn extracted a special thermos from her bag and poured some heated blood out into a mug for Spike. Much better than coffee, she supposed. She stashed the pack, filled with a spare set of clothes for herself and Buffy, on the salvaged sofa in front of the TV. Willow carried the tray but wrinkled her nose at the mug of blood. Dawn smiled brightly at her before lighting her own and Tara’s candles.

The girls proceeded to carefully make their way down the ladder into the darkness of the lower level. Dawn nudged Tara who whispered a couple of words, causing the multitude of candles to light magically in Spike’s bedroom. Willow smiled softly at her girlfriend, happy to allow her to do the magic she was restricted from.

Buffy gasped at the sight before her. When the candles lit it illuminated the richly decorate space in a soft, almost ethereal, glow. Spike lay sleeping in the bed, beautiful against the blood red satin sheets which lay bunched around his hips. She couldn’t tell if he was wearing anything at all, but was fixated on the sculpted upper body on display. Buffy found herself hoping there was nothing but that sheet covering the handsome vampire.

Dawn nudged her sister side, bringing Buffy out of her admiring stare. Dawn held three fingers up, counting down seconds before they should start singing. All together, they began:

“The night goes with weighty step, round yard and hearth. Round earth, the sun departs, Leave the woods brooding. There in our dark house, Appears with lighted candles, Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia.,” the girls started, advancing towards the bed with Buffy leading the way.

They continued singing and eventually gathered around the bed, ‘waking’ Spike from his slumber. Spike ran a hand over his face and through his hair, dislodging his curls from the stiff gel. As the singing reached the final chorus, Willow set the tray down on the covers beside Spike. As he sat up, the sheets slipped down and revealed the waistband of his jeans, much to Buffy’s disappointment.

“Happy Saint Lucia Day, Spike,” Dawn smiled happily and hopped onto the bed, lit candle still in one hand. Before the highly flammable vamp could suffer any damage, Willow snuffed it out and took it away from the excited teenager. Dawn bounced towards Spike for a quick hug, completely oblivious to what had nearly happened.

“What a wonderful surprise, nibblet,” Spike said, grinning up at the girls, ecstatic at being included. He smiled at both of the witches in turn, and nearly erupted in laughter at Buffy’s perturbed expression. She was warily trying to look up at her crown as one of the candles had started dripping wax dangerously close to her forehead.

“Off, off, OFF!” Buffy squealed ineloquently. Tara quickly came to the rescue, helping Buffy lift the heavy contraption off her head and extinguishing the candles. Trying desperately to regain her dignity, Buffy glared at Spike, daring him to comment.

“You look beautiful, luv,” Spike said, placating her wounded pride. “All of you,” he continued, looking over the assembled group. Dawn looked hungrily over at the tray, not having been allowed to sample their hard work yet.

“C’mon Spike, eat up. I’m starving!” Dawn exclaimed in a questionable show of manners. Spike chuckled and looked at the tray, selecting a bun before noticing the mug of blood set out for him.

“Thanks, bit,” he said, touched by her thoughtfulness.

“So do you know what all this is about then?” Buffy asked, also eyeing the tray of treats.

“Sure. Dru n’ I were in Sweden in the early 1900s after Angelus left. The north is great for vamps in winter, lack of sunshine most of the day an’ all that,” Spike said and dipped his bun into his mug of blood. Buffy and Dawn had grown accustomed to his eating habits after all the evenings he spent helping Dawn with her homework, so they thought little of sneaking a treat after witnessing the nauseating display.

“You know how gross that is right?” Willow said to Spike, but didn’t wait long to steal her own treat from the tray. Spike grinned a bloody and toothy smile, causing Willow to shudder. Tara quietly joined them, sending a mock-disapproving look in Spike’s direction. As Spike continued telling his story about how he learned of Saint Lucia day, the girls arranged themselves to sit with him on the bed, surrounding him like a group of eager kids at story time.

“So how’d you fare in minus twenty degrees? I know vamps don’t really feel the cold, but still, that’s bad. Not Buffy-friendly weather,” Buffy shuddered at the thought.

“’S not so bad. Blood slows down a bit though so you hafta keep yourself indoors a bit,” Spike admitted. He fell silent after the comment, seemingly in deep thought. “You have school today, nibs?” he asked. Dawn nodded reluctantly.

“Best for you to get goin’ then. Sun’s up,” Spike stated simply with an empathetic smile. He didn’t want this time with the girls to end either. Dawn only grumbled in reply.

“Alright, my stuff’s upstairs,” Dawn said and looked over to Willow. “Can you drive me?”

“Sure, Dawnie,” Willow said. She looked over at Tara who nodded yes to her unasked question, indicated that she would go with them.

Buffy made movements indicating that she was getting ready to come along with the rest of the girls. When she stopped to yawn widely, Dawn knew she had to seize the opportunity to get Buffy to stay with Spike.

“You should stay here, Buffy. You’re exhausted and I’m sure Spike won’t mind,” Dawn said as innocently as possible.

“No, Dawnie. I have so much to do at home,” Buffy answered, but stopped attempting to get up.

“C’mon, luv, stay. I can help you later. You look like you need some rest,” Spike said gently, hoping she would agree, though not expecting it. Buffy shot Spike a questioning look, not sure what to believe. His bed was incredibly comfortable however, and her own was so far away. One little nap couldn’t hurt her; she wouldn’t feel pressured to get up and do her housework if she stayed. Besides, spending some time in bed with a shirtless Spike was far more appealing than it should be.

“And I can help out, Buffy,” Tara piped up. “I don’t have class today.”

Too tired to be suspicious, Buffy relented with a nod. She settled back on the bed, content to stay. Dawn raced up to the upper level for a quick change before heading off to school with Tara and Willow. Spike saw the trio to the door, and as he closed it behind them he wondered what he had done right to get the slayer to agree to stay.