Author's Chapter Notes:
Yes! I finally figured out how to work italics!! Yay me! I edited the first two chapters where italics were supposed to be...and I think it adds to the story, personally. But yes, I get a bit overexcited about simple things. To everyone who's been reveiwing: I love you all! Really, really I do!!! To everyone: I hope you enjoy this chapter!
Chapter Three

~~..~~

Spike gave the hostess a grin, who in turn leered at him looking the vampire over with appreciation.

Spike was immediately glad he’d taken the effort to address his less than stellar state of appearance. Earlier that evening he had broken into a temporarily vacant house and he’d taken a long, extremely hot shower, feeling a bit disconcerted when he couldn’t remember the last time he’d actually had a shower. After washing his hair, and other extremities, thoroughly four times, he dressed and nicked forty dollars from a jar in the kitchen marked, ‘Change’. Feeling distinctly guilty, (and the other voice’s displeasure didn’t help matters) Spike made a silent promise to return to repay what he took.

With his newly acquired finances he took off for a department store. After a pair of black jeans, a black tee-shirt, and a stint in the washroom with a bottle of peroxide and pair of scissors, Spike was feeling pretty pleased with his efforts. Especially when he was buying a pack of cigarettes and the checkout girl gawked at him. Either he looked really good, or really ridiculous. Not having a reflection he couldn’t be sure, but he figured the girl slipping him her number was a good indicator.

Spike gave the hostess another shit-eating grin when she let him past into the club. He let his eyes turn gold as he entered into the inky darkness.

A week before, when Xander had asked him to look into the Newbloods, Spike had decided the best way to find the vamp group was to do three things. Firstly, beating information out of some demons and/or vamps, the more the better, secondly to change his appearance to be Newblood worthy, thirdly, find a Newblood to draft him. Easy. Right.

So yeah, finding someone who actually knew something about the Newbloods proved to be a bit more difficult than Spike had first considered. Either that or he was really losing his touch when trying to beat out confessions. Nah. However, it was pretty lucky, he’d admit, that he came across a demon with information. It was even luckier the demon had a low pain threshold. Spike had barely knocked him around when he was spilling information. Information that led him to a nightclub called Naughty Pleasures.

Naughty Pleasures, while having a sleek and modern interior, wasn’t anything he hadn’t seen before. When he was fully within the club, Spike was able to let his golden eyes turn back blue and fully take in his surroundings. Muted lights hung low from the ceiling giving the club an almost surreal look. Demons, vampires, and even humans were dispersed throughout; some were sitting in plush booths, some were at the bar drinking, others were dancing on the dance floor to a slow seductive song. The scholar in Spike found himself momentarily fascinated by what was happening in a booth not far to his left, huh, so that’s how Korlaki’s mate. When the female looked at him with a hitherto stare Spike shook himself and stepped away, feeling that if he could have, he would have been blushing. -We don’t peep, William. That’s just rude.- Spike was about to answer the voice when he was distracted by a female Chokra leaning into him, her eight erect nipples brushing against his chest.

“Hey handsome.” she purred.

For an instant Spike wasn’t sure what to do. He felt the overwhelming urge to move away from the demon, but didn’t. When he had set out with his plan he knew he had to act the part. He found himself asking: what would old Spike do? It was almost funny. Almost.

Spike grabbed the demon’s waist, pulling her against him, ignoring the other voice’s strangled shout for –proper decorum!-. The Chokra gasped slightly at his rough movement, but otherwise seemed pleased. She grinded herself against him, and for one moment Spike had to beat back the impulse to let her go. He leaned down and breathed softly in her ear, “‘lo, gorgeous,” he felt her shiver, “I’m lookin’ for someone, you couldn’t help me, could you, pet?”

The Chokra looked up at him with dilated eyes, she nodded. Spike told her in a soothing, alluring voice whom he was searching for. She looked immensely satisfied that she knew who he was asking about. She pointed off farther into the club, a name spilling from her lips. Feeling old Spike come through, he planted a lingering kiss on the Chokra’s mouth before leaving her with a promise that he knew would never be fulfilled.

He spotted the vampire immediately among the others. Leaning against the bar, he waited for his moment. Ordering a beer he watched. It was near two in the morning when the vampire Spike was watching was readying to leave. Spike had watched him become more and more inebriated for over three hours. Spike could have taken him when he first saw him, but he wasn’t sure about the other twenty vamps’ and demons. Where the Spike of four years ago would have said, ‘fuck it’, and dove right into the fray, the new Spike realized his limitations (much to his chagrin) and knew when to be cautious.

Spike only a waited a moment before following him out of the club. Keeping his distance for a couple blocks, Spike rolled his eyes at the stumbling vampire. Walking up behind the vamp Spike inwardly scolded the oblivious predator. Clamping a hand on his shoulder tightly, Spike leaned in close to the other vamp’s ear.

“Have a word, mate.”

“Whaa..?” Was the eloquent response. He lost his balance trying to turn to face Spike, ending up ass first in the gutter.

Spike sighed; this was proving to be harder than he’d anticipated. Eyeing a bench conveniently close by, Spike pulled the drunken vampire up to his feet, and sat him on it.

The other vampire looked at Spike blearily. “Who are you?”

“Someone who wants in.” Spike said cryptically.

“Huh?”

Spike gauged the vamp to be around ten years old. He realized it was probably best that the vampire’s abilities weren’t at full capacity. He would have been able to tell Spike was a Master vampire, and Spike wasn’t certain how his reception would be.

“I know you’re a Newblood, Don.” Don looked at Spike sharply, well as sharply as he could. “I want in. Recruit me…or whatever it is you blokes do.”

Don stood up suddenly, almost losing his balance, then backing away. Spike could smell his fear. “I have no clue…what’r’you…crazy…”

Spike stood, stepping towards the younger vampire. “Yes, you do.” His voice was low, dangerous. “I want in, and you’ll get me in.”

“Listen, man…” Don paused, massaging his temples, his expression of utmost distress and confusion. “Even if I could…do…that…I, um. Can’t do that. You know?”

Spike itched to grab Don by the throat, but having a part to play, he didn’t. “No, I don’t know.” He said feigning patience. “Please explain.”

“Dude, it’s like, uhh…not my job.” He perked up suddenly. “But I know someone who can, like, get you in…maybe…you know…the trials and stuff…are hard…” Spike tensed slightly as Don dug into his jacket. Bringing out a card, Don presented it to Spike.

Spike took the card and studied it for a moment. He looked up at Don, his eyebrows raised. “Sure this is the right card, mate? A lawyer?”

Don nodded. “Yeah, man. All you gotta do is…um, call the number, and uh, use extension…six…no...eight, yeah, definitely eight. And say, uhhhhh...” He paused, thinking hard, “you gotta say, ‘Whether we fall by blood, ambition, lust…’ uhh…or is it lust, blood…?”

“ ‘Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.’ Webster. Fittin’ at that.”

“Dude, that’s totally it.”

Spike leaned back on the bench. “Anythin’ else?”

Don thought for a moment, swaying unsteadily on his feet. “No, man. Just the…words…and your number…and they’ll call you. Set up a time...place.”

Spike stood suddenly, causing the younger vampire to hurriedly back away.

“Thanks.”

“No problem man…Bloodhood and… all that.”

Spike raised an eyebrow. “‘Bloodhood’?”

“Ah, fuck. You didn’t hear…that…‘kay?”

“Sure.”

Don sighed in relief. “Thanks, man. I’m…gonna…go now.”

Spike watched Don stumble away. The older vampire shook his head. Didn’t exactly inspire the best confidence.

~~…~~

The next night found Spike in his regular bar. The bartender merely raised an eyebrow at his new appearance, but said nothing. Spike didn’t really care about the extra attention he was receiving, if he’d been able to admit to it, he was actually feeling positively chipper. Not just because earlier that night eight Shorklak demon’s ambushed him, and subsequently Spike beat them to a bloody pulp; although exercise was always good for the soul. Spike could feel even his demon chuckling at the irony.

His good mood stemmed from that he finally felt he had a purpose. Yes, he did help the helpless, and he knew that was all well and good, but since SunnyDale he never had regained a sense of meaning to his continued existence. Somehow, in SunnyDale, his presence actually meant something; that his life (or rather animated death) actually meant something in the scheme of things. His plan was going, well, according to plan. So far nothing had gotten completely buggered, and it was right nice to be useful.

So yeah, Spike felt bloody good to have a goal. That it was something that would help her made it even better.

“Well, well, look at what we have here!”

Spike turned to face a laughing Xander.

“Oi, berk. Si’down already.”

Xander sat, his laughter fading into an amused smile. “Nice work, man. Almost took me back four years, there.”

Spike glowered at the human, his feathers feeling sufficiently ruffled. “You want the information or not, whelp.”

Xander sobered immediately, though his eyes still twinkled mirth. “Really? You found something?”

“Really.” Spike paused, taking a sip from his beer. A couple weeks before Xander convinced the vampire to try the brand he liked, and even though Spike didn’t admit to liking it, other than pig’s blood, it was all Spike drank since then.

Xander tapped the bar impatiently with his own beer. “Well? What’s the what, fang face?”

Without speaking, Spike pulled out the card Don had given him, and handed it to Xander. Xander looked at the card, then back up at Spike, confusion slanting his brows.

“What’s this?”

“A way in. I’m looking to be recruited.”

Xander stared at Spike, his eyebrows high, disbelief prominent. “Seriously?”

Spike shrugged a shoulder. “Yeh, figured it would be the best way, you know. Gettin’ in, being in the fray, all that.”

Xander looked at Spike speculatively; like he had never really seen him before.

Spike, feeling uncomfortable, snapped, “What is it, you bloody ponce? Now that I’m all pretty you fancy me now?”

Xander chuckled. “You wish.” He held up a hand for two more beers before turning back to Spike. “I’m just surprised, is all. I thought you’d just beat up a couple vamps, get some info and be done with it.”

“Beat some vamps, didn’t prove to be a fruitful venture. Thought this’d be a better way.”

“I…thank you. Really.”

Spike shifted in his seat awkwardly. “No promises, though. This is just a meet thing…can’t say they’ll take me. Trials, and all he said.”

“When is it?”

“There’s the pinch, I gotta call them but I don’t have a phone. I can’t use a payphone ‘cause they gotta call me back. So I figure you got a cell, yeh?” At Xander’s tentative nod, Spike continued, “You give me your cell, and I’ll use that.”

Xander hesitated for only a moment before bringing out his cell phone and handing it to Spike.

Spike pocketed it. “Good of you, mate.”

“No long distance calls.” Xander muttered.

Spike only chuckled into his own beer before asking Xander to play a game of pool.

“Do you know what kind of trials?” Xander asked after watching Spike shoot in four balls.

“I’m figurin’ physical stuff. The vamp I talked to was an idiotic blighter.”

Xander only nodded, his eyes following three more balls fall in before it was his turn.

“Regular stakes?” The vampire asked.

Xander pocketed two balls before grinning up at Spike. “Sure.”

~~…~~

Five pool games later, and considerably poorer, Xander left the bar. Not that he minded, really. Spike played a fair game, and Xander was slowly learning from him.

Xander shook his head, still feeling slight disbelief. When he had gone to the vampire for help he honestly hadn’t expected much. Maybe a name, if he was extremely lucky a location. Spike’s willingness to actually try and join the Newbloods went far beyond anything he’d anticipated.

Was Spike doing this for justice…or was he doing it for something else, Xander wondered. For Buffy? Maybe. Xander had no idea where Spike stood on the whole Buffy issue anymore. Not that he’d ask the vampire. Asking would only open the door to more personal things, and Xander for one didn’t want that.

Xander, for one instant, wondered if Spike was actually trying to join the Newbloods for real. But he immediately discarded the thought. Not that Spike wasn’t a formidable foe, Xander had first hand experience with that, but joining the Newbloods went against everything Xander knew about Spike.

Well, what he knew about the new Spike. The old Spike…well, Xander couldn’t be sure. He never really made the effort to know Spike back then.

Xander made his way home, feeling a lot lighter. That morning he’d seen Buffy silently crying over the newspaper: five more mutilating deaths. He’d felt terrible for her, knowing the guilt was eating her up inside. But now, knowing Spike was making definite strides with the Newbloods, he felt a weight lift from himself. They’d get through this. They always did.

~~...~~

Love it? Hate it? Wish it'd never started?