Author's Chapter Notes:
Lately things have been a little crazy, I'm just hoping things calm down soon. ; )
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Chapter 11. Calm before the storm.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It had been two months since her mother told her about the divorce, and about two months since she found out how Spike really was. Surprisingly everything was going better. She couldn't remember the last time things had been so good.
She and Spike picked up a routine, she would see him on the weekdays after school and he would walk her home afterward. He had even met her mom. The surprising thing was her mother actually took a liking to Spike. The first thing she thought her mother would have done was grill her about Spikes age and how they had met. Being as though it was clear Spike wasn't in high school anymore. But she didn't, not even after Spike left. She had a feeling if it had been anyone other than Spike she would have down her throat. But she wasn't, it was almost kinda creepy how well she and spike got along.

One day Buffy had after school and came home to find Spike and her mother in the kitchen drinking coco and talking about some kind of soap opera and laughing. 'Can you say beyond weird?'

~*FLASH BACK~*

"Mom I'm home!"

"We're in the kitchen"

“We’re?" she thought confused

Walking into the kitchen she was surprised to find sitting across from her mom with a cup of coco and what looked like marshmallows in front of Spike.

"Hey Spike... what are you doing here?"

"He came by worried when you didn't show up at his place after school” she said with her eye brows raised. But it was obvious Spike already told her something to ease her mind about what she was doing over there.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you I had to stay after school today, I would have forgotten to if Willow didn't remind me."

"S'all right pet, Joyce here eased all my fears with a cup of her coco here"

"You do make the best coco mom."

"Why thank you." She said smiling.

Starting up the conversation again Joyce asked. “So Buffy how was studying with Willow?"

Sitting between her mom and Spike, "Good, I think a couple of things actually stuck."

"Studying for a test pet?"

"Yeah, midterms to be exact."

"If you needed help all you had to do was ask"

"Yeah, I should have thought about that being as though you were around when all those things happened in history" she said smiling.

"Oy not all of them just a few."

Laughing she said. "I'm just kidding Spike"

"What do you mean he was around?" her mom asked.

She looked to Spike for some help but he just smiled and continued to drink his coco leaving her to explain.

"It's just something I tease Spike about, you know inside joke." She said hoping her mom would just leave it as that, and thankfully she did.

~*END FLASH BACK*~

There was just something about Spike that was just so likeable you just couldn't help loving the sarcastic ass. Wait a minute LOVE?

That night after Spike dropped her off; she walked into the house to hear her mother yelling on the phone with who she could only guess to be her father. Ever since the big incident two months ago Hank hadn't been back. And for that she was happy, beyond happy and so was her mom but listening to her mother right now things didn't sound too good.

Walking quietly into the kitchen she could see her mother standing with her back to her, and from her could hear they were arguing about money. Her father was very wealthy not that you would ever know it. Hank had a mansion in LA which was probably where he was right now with one of his secretaries that were about her age. That was who he spent his money on, his whores.
She and her mother knew this, they've know for a long time now. When she was younger she used to spend her nights crying about her broken family thinking it was something that she did. It took her a while to see it was nothing she did or didn't do. And no matter how good she was or how many as she brought home it wouldn't change.

So she just accepted his behavior instead of fighting it. But Buffy did notice something about herself.

Because of her father Buffy never felt the urge to date or have guy friends; she pretty much stayed clear of them. She talked to them is school but outside of that she didn't really care to date or hang out. She had girl friends especially when she was in LA. And now that she moved she had Willow, Willow was her life line here in Sunnydale. But of coarse Willow didn’t really know what went on here, there were times she wanted to invite Willow over for dinner or to just hang out like normal teenage girls did, but she was afraid of how this would turn out. You knew really knew what you were going to get when you came home from school, some days things were ok which meant Hank was working late or out of town. But when he was home you could always count on an argument whether it was between him and her mother or if it was her.


But now there was Spike, and the weird thing was she found herself missing him when he wasn't there. Missing the sound of his voice or the cutie head tilting thing he did when he was listening very intensely to what you were saying. Or the way he smelt of tobacco, leather, and something else. A combination that was just Spike.

She didn't really know how to define what they had, they were friends she knew that much but they were also something else to. Something more and that made her nervous, really really nervous. He was always so calm as if he already knew the answer and was calmly waiting for her to figure it out.
Her mom slamming the phone down brought her out of her thoughts; she turned around and almost jumped out of her skin.

"Buffy, when did you get in?"

"A little while ago, so I'm guessing that was Hank on the phone."

"Uh, yeah it was" Her mother seemed really nervous for some reason.

"You ok mom?"

"Buffy I'm fine, I just had a really tough day at work today and this phone call didn't make it any better... so how was school, Spike?"

"Fine... school was fine, Spikes fine... Mom is there something I need to know about what just happened on the phone with Hank, because you don't look fine"

"No Buffy everything’s fine for now, it's just you know how your father can be sometimes, one day when you’re married you'll understand, or on second thought I hope you don't. I don't want you going through this."

"Well you don't have to worry about that mom, because I'm very going to get married."

"And why is that?"

"Hello mom, look at Hank”

"Buffy not all men are like your father, some can be ..."

"Mom please spare me the prince charming lecture, those are fairy tales, as in not real."

Joyce smiled "What about Spike?"

Buffy almost spilled the apple juice she had been pouring. “What about Spike?"

"I'm not blind Buffy... I see the way he looks at you and the way you look at him."

"What are you talking about, there was no looking, there isn't any looking... how does he look at me?"

Laughing "I'm sure there isn't any look dear"

"Well there isn't, Spike and I are just friends, really good friends" ' friends that have kissed before but that was beside the point' " and even if there was something it would never work out.”

"And why is that?"

"Well...he's... and then...well...well, well it just wouldn't work."

"You still haven't given me one good reason yet honey."

"Oh… I know he's older." She said proudly happy she found a reason she could tell her mother, she could very well say because he's a vampire.

"Yes well I had my concerns about that in the beginning, but Spike is a very intelligent young man and I believe he really cares about you Buffy."

'Buffy almost laughed when her mom said Spike was a young man, if she only knew.' 'This conversation was getting off track'

"I thought we were talking about Hank?"

"We were, and now we're talking about Spike."

"Well I don't wanna talk about Spike"

"Well I don't what to talk about Hank right now."

"Mom you’re avoiding the issue, that conversation I walked in on seemed pretty intense." Why and what was her mom hiding.

"It was, but I don't want to talk about it right now dear, please."

"Fine"

"Are you hungry? I could fix you something to eat."

"No, me and Spike went to the bronze and had wings and onion rings."

Joyce smiled a knowing smile again. "Ok honey, I'm going to bed, night"

"Night mom"

Buffy's mind was all over the place, from the conversation she had with her mother about Spike and the non-conversation she had about her father. She knew something was going on especially after what she had heard tonight, and she knew without a doubt in her mind it was serious. Now she had a headache, what she needed was sleep, lots and lots of sleep. Turning off the kitchen lights she went upstairs.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Outside in backyard Spike smiled and turned around to go under the tree near Buffy's window. Spike had heard the entire conversation. And he just like Buffy knew there was something Joyce was keeping from Buffy, something serious. Joyce sometime confided in him about her marriage with Hank. Not that he needed her to tell him the relationship with Hank was unhealthy, he was none to judge being as though he had been in an unhealthy relationship once. But the sooner Hank was out of the picture the better off Buffy and Joyce would be. Reaching under the tree he saw her lights go on.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Things were changing so fast, not only the things around her but she herself was changing, she felt it. It was a very strong feeling, it was powerful. She never felt normal or that she had a life like the girls in school, but she had always just blamed it on Hank and her dysfunctional home life. But now Hank was gone and the feeling was still there. It wasn't the same feeling but still strong and weird. Things were a whole lot better but something was different, she felt it more around the time Spike came into her life. When ever he was around she felt a weird pull, it wasn't bad, it was a tingling feeling. Maybe it was because he's a vampire; Buffy knew the only thing holding her back from furthering a relationship with Spike was herself. The fear of him turning into her father, she couldn't bear it if he did even though she knew it wouldn't. Not with Spike.

Spike was perfect in so many ways; he was exactly what she always wanted in her life. He was caring, sexy, passionate, thoughtful, and primal.

There had to be something wrong with him, even the fact that he was a vampire didn't bother her anymore, not really anyway.

What bothered her was the fact that it didn't bother her; she couldn't even remember what it was like before he came into her life it was like he was always with her somehow and now she found him again. He had become such a big part of her life. And it scared her, Spike and her mother was all she had.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N
Don't kill me let me explain. ; )
I know it's been a while since my last update.
But I had a lot of things going on, and to top it off my computer had a virus and I had to take everything off my computer. Including two chapters I had already wrote.
I had to start over with everything. ; (
That wasn't any fun. But now my computer is back and up to date. ; )
And I want to get things moving along. Enjoy.

Now for the story, things will be taking a big dramatic turn in the next couple chapters.
I wonder what’s going to happen. ; )

Now I need reviews guys, it's my motivation, so lets c them ; )

REVIEWS, REVIEWS, REVIEWS PEOPLE!