Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Joss called me he wanted his characters back. So I had to pack them up and ship them home.

Author's Notes: Thanks Ariel Dawn and Just_Sue for the super beta-ing, I would truly be lost without you!
It Happened One Night


By: Golden Buffy




++++


Chapter Two: Best Friend Buffy



“The shifts of Fortune test the reliability of friends.”
Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC), De Amicitia

“All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon sand.”
Ella Wheeler Wilcox, O Magazine, February 2004



++++


Buffy had been Avoid-y Girl all day. She dodged Willow at every twist and turn, making sure to stay one step ahead of the redheaded witch at all times. And having super human abilities to do so didn't hurt much either.

The Slayer also knew she couldn't keep this game of cat and mouse up for ever, and sooner or later she would have to face Willow. Not to mention the rest of the Scoobies. But there was a more important issue - her mom, Joyce Summers, matriarch of the family; how would she react?

Granted, Joyce and Spike were what? Friends? Nah, maybe acquaintances who discussed art and drank hot chocolate, from what Buffy was told. But could Joyce handle the news of her slayer daughter not only getting involved with another vampire, but also producing his demon spawn?

Buffy's stomach started to tie in knots, she needed to work out this tension, she needed to slay. It was still much to early for that activity so she would have to settle with working out, at the Magic Box.

++++


The bell over the front door gave a small ding as Anya raised her head. Smiling, the former vengeance demon announced, “Welcome to the Magic Box how may I... Oh, it's you, Willow.” she commented with a frown, “ I though you were someone important, someone with money. Hurry, out of the way, you're blocking the entrance for people who come in here to give me their money,” Anya finished, gesturing with her hands at Willow to shoo her out of the door way.

Willow scooted out of the way tossing her backpack onto the table. “Yeah, well it's nice to see you too Anya,” muttered Willow.

The blonde behind the counter just glared at the witch as she went back to counting the daily total so far.


“Oh, and can you go join the guys in the back. You're kinda scaring the customers away,” Anya commented, not bothering to look up from her task. Looking around at the deserted store, Willow resisted the childish urge to stick her tongue out at Anya. Instead she settled for busying herself with retrieving her backpack, and headed further back into the store.

Finding an empty chair at the back table, Willow quietly sat down.

“Hey, Wills,” Xander nodded to his long time friend, and then returned his attention to his comic book. Giles was engrossed in research on some new demon that had set foot in Sunnydale, and acknowledged the young lady with a quick peek over the rim of his glasses.

Settling down at the table Willow placed her backpack down and removed her laptop; she needed to get started on her end of the research. Long moments passed as the only sounds in the room were the clicking from her keyboard, along with the occasional turning of a page from Giles.

“Giles, have you noticed anything strange with Buffy lately?” asked Willow, glancing up briefly from the screen, a look of concern passing over her face before her eyes flitted back to the screen.

Looking up from his tome the ex-watcher rested his eyes on Willow; she was busy worrying her bottom lip with her teeth, intently focused on the laptop's screen.

“Strange? In what way?”

Leaning back in her chair, the witch thought about her answer for a moment.

“Oh, I don't know. It's just... this morning at school. I had to practically chase Buffy down just to say “hi”. And then she practically blew me off. I mean it's one thing being upset at losing the man that you loved, and it's a whole other thing blowing your friends off. I would never do that. It was just plain rude, totally un-Buffy like.”

Giles removed his glasses, giving them an idle rub on his shirt as he pondered Willow's reply. “Well, I can hardly say I haven't noticed a change in Buffy. She probably just has things on her mind, with her mother being sick, this new demon in town, a-a-a-and like you said, Riley,” acknowledged Giles.

“Yeah Wills, nothings too much for our Buffster. She'll be fine,” Xander supplied still buried in his comic book.

++++


Buffy entered the Magic Box without even a quick “Hello” to the ex-demon behind the counter, or the three sitting around the table, and headed straight to the back. It wasn't as if Anya cared, but she glared at Buffy's rudeness anyway.

Xander looked up from his reading with a frown. His eyes catching the blonde blur that whizzed past their table, he noticed the look of bewilderment etched upon Giles' and Willow's faces as well. “Was it my imagination or did a Buffy sized tornado just blow past us?”

A quick change into a pair of sweat pants and tank top, and Buffy was pounding out all her frustrations and fears on the poor punching bag. Buffy didn't know what to do about the pregnancy, or telling friends and family. If she told her mom maybe she could get money for an abortion.

But who was she kidding, she was the slayer, the Chosen One, her duty was to protect the innocent. And this tiny baby growing inside of her was as innocent as they came. Then again, a pregnant co-ed wasn't something you saw every day at Sunnydale U, and Buffy wasn't too keen on being part of the weekly gossip mill... again.

And how would the gang react? Of course, Giles would flip - but in that whole proper, uptight British way - whipping off his glasses, rubbing them until they turned to sand. Willow would start babbling uncontrollably, with a few “Oh goddesses” thrown in, and Xander would be all about the making of idle threats against soulless, evil demons. Without doubt Buffy's lack of desire for the breathing, living variety of male would be mentioned by him, and it wouldn't surprise her if he wanted to stake Spike.

Buffy couldn't take the pressure; it felt as if her head was ready to explode. Sighing, she wiped at the trickle of sweat that was running down the side of her cheek. She was starting to feel a bit shaky anyway, maybe she would be able to keep something light down. Unfortunately, just the thought of food sent her running for the bathroom.

Once finished in the bathroom Buffy quickly changed back into her clothes, and deciding a nap would do her some good, she was going to head home. Walking past the three huddled forms perched at the table, Buffy mumbled a “goodbye”, and headed for the front door. The trio watched her retreating form with concern, but hesitated not wanting to detain her.

Anya was dusting off some crystals and mumbling to herself about partners who hardly help, when she got a good look at the sickly Slayer.

“You really look like crap, Buffy. Your eyes are all baggy, and your skin is ashy. You look like death, and believe me I met him personally. Remind me to tell you the story some time. What's wrong with you?” Anya asked pushing into Buffy's personal space.

“Umm, you're scaring me Anya, with the whole 'I care about your wellbeing' thing, but really I'm fine,” snarked back Buffy.

Anya placed her hands on her hips, and started tapping her left foot; she wasn't buying that lame-o brush off. And Anya Jenkins knew just what a brush off was, she got enough of those from one Xander Harris.

“I'm fine, just tired,” the Slayer answered back, her voice taking on a softer tone. At that moment Buffy's stomach decided to make its emptiness known, filling the empty store with its loud rumble.

“And just a tad hungry,” Buffy added, a bit embarrassed by the loudness of her stomach.

“Good! Because we can't afford a sick Slayer. A sick Slayer means evil can run loose, which drives down business for store owners like me.”

“So glad for your concern Anya. Wouldn't want to put a damper on you making money,” Buffy sarcastically replied.

“No, no we wouldn't. So you just keep yourself healthy,” ordered Anya with a touch of concern in her voice, even as Willow, Xander, and Giles entered the main part of the room.

“Healthy? Who's sick?” a confused Xander asked.

The duo turned around to face the trio's inquisitive stares.

“Buffy,” Anya pointed towards her companion. “I'm trying to find out why she looks like crap. I hope she's not getting sick. The Hellmouth needs its slayer.”

“It's nothing. You know, I was just about to leave to go grab a bite to eat. So I'm gonna go, like now, see, walking to the door, ready to leave,” noted Buffy slightly babbling as she turned her body towards the door.

“ Buffy, are you okay?” Giles questioned taking in his slayer's appearance.

Buffy rolled her eyes as she internally cursed Anya and her stupidly big mouth.

“Yes, Giles, I'm fine, just hungry. Going to eat, now,” repeated the Slayer.

“Ooo, Buffy I'll come with?”

Placing her hand on the door Buffy sighed, she really wasn't in the mood for company. But she couldn't keep avoiding her friends because she was too chicken to tell them her problem.

“Sure thing, Willow. I'd love the company,” Buffy relented.

++++



The two walked to the closest fast food joint, the Double Meat Palace. They ordered their food and sat down to eat in front of a window overlooking the majestic parking lot. Willow had all but finished her food while Buffy carefully slid a small pile a salt around on the table with an overly greasy french fry.

“Well since you won't tell me what's on your mind, am I limited to playing 20 questions? Because I'll have you know, missy, I'm very good at that game,” Willow joked, trying to lighten the mood between them. Buffy looked up from her food to flash a small smile at her friend.

“I'm sorry Wills, I know I haven't been all best friend Buffy today, it's just... I don't know. I just have a lot on my mind.”

“Yeah, I figured,” Willow finished, then reached across the table to place her hand over Buffy's.

“I know it's hard Buffy, but you'll get through this. We'll get through this. I'll help you, and so will Xander and Dawnie, even Tara. And Anya will too, in her non-sentimental kind of way. You even have Giles, well not really, but still.”

Buffy's hand stilled its actions as she looked into Willow's eyes. 'How does she know? If she doesn't know, then what is she talking about? Just calm down, Buffy, just hear Willow out.'

Willow could see the puzzled look in her friend's eyes, so she decided to finish.

“Riley. I know you miss him, and I know you're not letting on just how much it hurts that he's gone. But, Buffy, I'm here. You can come to me, just like you were sorta there for me with Oz, when he left. I was confused and alone, but with time I healed, ” the redhead finished with a cheery smile. Buffy couldn't help but smile back at her, even though her stomach turned to knots from Willow's misconception. She couldn't keep leading her friend on like this.

“Willow, I have something very important to tell you. And you have to promise not to tell anyone. Promise?”

From the serious look on the Slayer's face Willow knew that it was something big, maybe even bigger than the time she was first told what a slayer was - and about demons and vampires. Sitting up straight and giving a quick squeeze to Buffy's hand, Willow agreed.

“Scout's honor and all that good stuff. I won't tell a soul, Buffy, unless you want me to.”

Willow extended her pinky finger, which Buffy accepted; they quickly hooked them forming their secret trust bond. The age old pinky oath.

Buffy swallowed, looked around to make sure no one was eavesdropping - news getting out about a pregnant slayer would have demons salivating across the hellmouth. She leaned closer into the table bringing her head as near as possible to Willow's.

“Wills, I... I just found out this morning that I'm...I'm pregnant.”

“Oh, goddess!”

“Yeah, that was pretty much what I said.”

“Are you sure? I mean absolutely sure?” asked Willow, her eyes wide and shocked.

Buffy pegged Willow with a 'Duh, I'm the Slayer and I know these things' kind of look.

“Yes, Wills, the test it doesn't lie. Plus I've been tossing my cookies for the past week, so I kinda figured something wasn't quite right.”

“Well, what about Riley, does he know? Oh, well I guess he wouldn't since he's not here, he's in South America, and you, you just found out this morning. So I'm thinking, no, he wouldn't. Oh, unless you called him during the day then he would know,” Willow babbled.

This was good. Willow had no idea that Spike was the reason Buffy was in this mess. Well why would she? It wasn't like Buffy gave any hints that she and Spike had had sex; hell she hadn't even expected it to happen, not even in her wildest dreams. Okay, the sex part was in some dreams - that were quite wild - but Spike and babies? Nuh uh. So this was majorly of the good, one Riley equals one baby. Yay, go team Buffy.

“No, he doesn't know yet. But I want to find out how far along I am before I call him. You know, with the whole slayer periods, sometimes a girl can't be to sure.”

“Well, that's okay I guess. So do you want me to go with you for your first appointment?” asked an eager best friend Willow.

“Yeah, Wills, that would be great,” Buffy finished with a sincere smile.

++++


Let me know what you think!