Chapter 8: The plan

“I can’t believe she’s sleeping with that soulless thing again!”

“Xander, calm down.” Willow tried to put her hand on his arm, but he jerked back.

“I will not! Come on An, we gotta get home.”

“It’s not like we can do anything, now is there?” Willow tried to reason with Xander.

“Yeah, nothing we can do.” Xander grabbed An as he started to walk away.

“I am sure she is happy with all her orgasms, I know I would be.” Anya’s contribution.

“Shut up!”

“Xander, they obviously care for each other.”

“He can’t care! He is soulless!”

“And? Xander, he obviously cares!”

“Obsession. Mark my words. We just have to get Buffy before he decides his obsession is over.”

“Xander, we can’t do anything!”

“Yes we can!”

“Like what?”

“Make her see him for what he is: a worthless soulless demon.”
~*~*~
Buffy was sitting in the hotel room. Their hotel room. No, the hotel room. It was obvious that something changed. While Buffy washed Spike’s cuts and wrapped up his injuries, she found the hotel key. This was as good a time as any to move her stuff. Spike kicked her out of the room. He obviously didn’t want to be near her. Buffy decided to move into a separate hotel room. Nix that, a new hotel. If Spike didn’t want her here, she wouldn’t be. She quickly grabbed her belongings and stuffed them into her suitcase and bags. Carefully Buffy went over the room, picking up discarded items from her and Spike’s stay. She traveled around picking up dirty laundry and piling them up in a corner. She threw away empty blood bags and fast food wrappers. Slowly she made her away around the bed and noticed a shiny object on the floor. She picked up a silver ring, the ring her gave her during Willow’s “Will be done” spell that paired the two to get married. She studied the ring carefully, noting that it was shiny, unlike his other jewelry. The blood red stone in the center was clean and almost see through. Spike must have take care of the ring through the years, cherishing it, just like how he promised to cherish her. Shaking out of her thoughts, Buffy put the ring on the night stand and continued straightening the room.

One last look, Buffy closed the door.

~*~*~
Dead, cold eyes followed her movements from the shadows. She roamed around the empty room picking up objects and setting them down. She bent over near the bed, picking up something small. She looked at the object intently. Her face filled with awe and pleasure. Suddenly, she shook her head and put the object down on the small table. She picked up her bags and headed out the door, looking back one last time, and then shuts it tight.

She walked to the rented car and stuffed her suitcase and bags in the trunk. Her small body walked around to the driver’s side and got in. Following closely behind, still on foot, the eyes followed her. She parked beside another hotel. She walked in with her head held high, up to the concierge. After a couple minutes she was back at the car, retrieving her bags. She gave them to the bellboy and handed him some money. She headed back to the car and got in.

Following easily, he found her car outside the house on Revello. Her sister was at the door. She handed her sister something, a key, and walked away.

~*~*~
“And how would you do that? Huh, Xander?”

“She knew it before, we just have to remind her. Help her remember those vampires are bad. She spent 6 years living a normal life. She will do it again.”

“Xander, she doesn’t want to lead a normal life. She was happy with Spike!”

“And? Look, Willow. Vampires and demons gave her nothing but grief. She has a life now that doesn’t include them and…”

“She also has a life that doesn’t include us.”

“What?”

“I think you heard me. Not only did she turn her back on demons and monsters, but us also. Are you willing to drive her further away?”

“I’ll take me chances. She has to remember what he has done. My god, Willow. He tried to rape her.”

“Get off it, Xander. She forgave him and herself.”

“No, he doesn’t deserve forgiveness.”

“Xander, don’t do anything stupid.”

“Nothing stupid. Just something that I should have done a long time ago.”

“If you try to hurt him, dust him, whatever… you will be pushing Buffy away. And this time it might be all the way.”

“Yeah, right. Okay, I won’t dust Spike.” Xander thought: but that doesn’t mean I can’t enlist someone that will.

~*~*~
She came back to the hotel. She parked her car in the small parking garage and headed inside. Her room is on the third floor; he could feel her moving up the elevator and out into the hallway. She became still, maybe sitting on the couch watching TV or lying down in the bed sleeping. He imagines sitting next to her on the couch, sharing an ordinary activity with her. Her short hair wound around his deft fingers. To hold her, to have her, the heavenly feeling of being with her. He shrank back into the shadows knowing she is safe for the moment.