Chapter 5: Uninvited Visitors

Spike and Buffy made it back to the hotel room right before the sun rose. After they dropped off Katerina and Giles off at their respective places of residence, they drove past the house on Revello in hopes that Dawn was still awake. Dawn’s window was illuminated, indicating she was up late. Spike and Buffy crept along the edge of the property, trying to make as little noise as possible. Spike helped Buffy climb the trellis outside of Dawn’s window and he carefully followed. They carefully peeked in, spying on the studious woman. She was lying crossways on her bed, facing away from the open window. Buffy put her hand over her mouth, stifling a giggle as Spike eyed her warily. Dawn was listening to something on a portable CD player with headphones. Her legs were kicking up and down with the beat of the music. Spike silently climbed through the window. He reached back out to help Buffy climb through. Her eyes were full of glee as her sister’s head bounced to and fro. Spike got behind Dawn on one side and Buffy on the other. Silently he counted to three and they pounced on her bed, reaching out to tickle. “Iiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!” Dawn jumped up in the air as the two started to giggle with mirth, collapsing on her bed. She scrambled away from their hands. She reached under the bed bringing up a long dagger, pointing it at the two assailants. She ran to the other side of the room before turning around to confront her attackers. Dawn whipped around to stare back at the collapsed couple. Realizing that they had just pranked her, she threw the dagger at them and put her hands on her hips. Spike nimbly plucked the dagger out of the air before it could hit either one. “That was not funny!”

“Oi, come on Little Bit.” Spike chuckled. She looked so cute and young when she stood there with her hands on her hips. “We were just playing.” He got himself under control, but Buffy was still laughing uncontrollably on the bed, writhing around. She had tears escaping her closed eyes as she tried to wipe them away. Spike got up and dragged Buffy’s prone body closer to him. Dawn walked over to the bed and sat down next to the couple, one still giggling.

There was a knock on the bedroom door. “Dawn you alright?”

“Yeah, Denise, I’m ok, thanks.” Dawn shouted back, glaring at Spike and the giggling, squirming body in his arms.

“I heard you scream, are you sure?” Her friend asked back.

“Yeah, just got a little scare, I am OK.” Denise headed back into her room.

“You guys! How could you?” Dawn scolded and waved a finger at them. Buffy started to calm down and was breathing a little more normally. Spike grabbed her closer to his body, knowing Dawn was about to attack with her fingers, immobilizing Buffy as she tickled her.

“Now, now, Bit. None of that, or I wont get Buffy out of here.” Dawn backed off and Buffy got a new set of giggles. Spike pulled her fully into his lap, trying to protect her from her pissed off sister. “Come on, Bit. We saw your light on and your window open. Maybe when you listen to your headphones you should face the window.” He smirked and winked.

“Spike, how could you?” She still was upset at the intrusion.

“Sorry, Bit. Didn’t think you would get upset.” He felt sorry, he really did. Dawn was upset at them. “I’ll just take Buf, and we will talk to you later, OK?” He moved and picked up the giggling slayer in his arms and headed over to the window. Spike had no idea how he was going to mange getting Buffy down while she was giggling, but he didn’t want to upset Dawn any further.

Dawn watched as he headed over to the window and felt instantly bad about scolding him. In truth, she was amazed he hadn’t tried to scare her since he came back. After a night of patrolling with Buffy, he would sneak up to her room and tickle her feet while she slept. Dawn missed the little things they used to do together. “Wait!” Spike turned around, Buffy was beginning to get control again of her giggles. “There is a door, you know?” Spike started to smile, but it quickly disappeared. He thought she was going to forgive them. He turned around and headed to the door.

“Sorry, Bit. Thought you would get a kick out of it.” He opened the door and started to walk down the stairs to the front door.

“I did,” she followed him down. He turned around with a huge boyish grin on his face. Dawn chuckled and shook her head. Buffy finally stopped giggling and started to squirm in Spike’s arms. She had no idea what was going on, but she wanted down. How did she get in Spike’s arms like this? “Aw, come on, I’ll make you some cocoa.” She passed Spike and the bundle he held and headed to the kitchen.

“Got any of those little marshmallows? God, kitten, will you stop squirming?” He looked down at his love in his arms as she smiled up at him. Her eyes reflected ten fold the love and tenderness that he regarded her with. She stopped squirming realizing he wasn’t letting go anytime soon.
~*~*~*~
Buffy was sitting on the rumpled bed naked, except for her bathrobe, flipping through the channels on the TV. Spike was taking a shower, singing some awful punk song at the top of his lungs. Dusk was quickly approaching and they were going to take Katerina patrolling for her first time. The phone rang and Buffy got up to get it. “Hey Giles... What’s up? … Oh really? … What do you want me to do about it? … Oh, I see… Well I don’t think that’s for the best… Because… It’s complicated… I know… This isn’t why we came back… Excuse me? …. I do not work for the council, I quit after Glory… That included Quentin…. If you don’t want our help… I am not threatening… No, I will not... Giles I do not think that I am being unreasonable.” Spike sat down beside Buffy, listening in on the conversation. “So, you don’t want us to go patrol?”

“What was that about, pet?” Spike ran his hand on her back as she hung up.

“Beats me, but something is definitely wrong. Giles… I don’t know but he practically begged that we stay in tonight. Weird.” Buffy shrugged her shoulders as Spike started to deeply massage her muscles. “Almost like he didn’t want us to run into something… or someone.” Spike quirked his eyebrow as she tensed up. “Oh, Spike, you don’t think?” She turned around to look at him.

“What’s that, luv?” Spike stopped his massage, but did not remove his hands from her back.

“Angel,” she whispered. Spike’s eyes flashed golden as his emotions and realization flooded over him.

“And if the poof is here?” Spike removed his hands and shifted away, afraid of her reaction to her first love.

“I don’t know, Spike. I mean… I don’t know… I haven’t seen him in years… how do you think he is going to react?”

“To what, pet?” He got up quickly and started to pace in front of her. “Of you back here? Oi, I am sure he’ll just be so happy, probably whisk you away for a good snog or two.” He spat his accusations out. “Probably try to convince you to go with him up to LA. Probably buy you the bloody mall to get you to go with him.” He waved his arms around his body as to accentuate the point. “Buy you a nice big mansion and get rid of the dingy hotel. You two moving in together playing house and all that rot.” Spike sneered. “The Great Poofter probably is sniffing his way around Sunnydale, trying to find you by now. Why don’t you just go outside and make it easier for him.”

SLAP

“Stop it, Spike.” Buffy slapped Spike across the face after he finished his tirade. “Why would you think that?” She was standing right in front of Spike and he grabbed her arm in a punishing grip.

“Why not, he is your true love, isn’t he? Go on, get.” He opened the front door and shoved her outside. “He’s waiting for you.”

“Spike, please don’t do this.” Buffy’s tears were running down her face quickly as she watched the man she loved have a virtual breakdown.

“Go on, you bint. Go to your true love.” He turned around slammed the door.

“But you are my true love,” she whispered as she stood there looking at the closed door.

Buffy stood in front of the hotel room for over a half hour, waiting for Spike to realize he just kicked her out for no good reason. A couple times she pleased through the door for Spike to open the door, but he just ignored her. Finally realizing that it was stupid to just sit and wait for him to come to his senses, she headed out to Revello Drive.

Buffy made her way slowly to the old house. There were two cars in the driveway. She looked in, but all the lights seemed to be turned off. She thought well, it doesn’t hurt to try; maybe they are watching a movie. KNOCK. KNOCK. Buffy heard some rattling and footsteps from the living room. The door opened to reveal a very disheveled Dawn.

“Um, Buffy, whatcha doing?” Dawn stammered. Buffy’s eyes were red and her cheeks were puffy. It was obvious she had been crying.

“Can I come in?” Buffy looked carefully at Dawn. Obviously, Dawn had a boy in the living room and they were hot and heavy.

“Um, sure.” Dawn stepped aside and slipped the light switch to the living room and hallway. The girls headed into the living room. “Umm, Buffy, this is my friend Tom. Tom this is my sister, Buffy.” Tom got up to shake Buffy’s hand.

“Uh, Dawn, I better get going. Let you two have a talk.”

“OK, call me later?”

“Wait, don’t go. I’ll come back later.”

Tom shook his head and grabbed his coat. “Nah, its OK. You two need to talk.” Tom swooped down to kiss Dawn’s cheek as he headed to the door. Dawn watched him get in his car and drive off.

Dawn came back, “OK, Sister o’ mine. What’s going on?”

“Um, nothing? Just wanted to spend some quality time with my favorite sister.” Buffy tried to smile.

“Buzz, try again. What’s wrong?”

“What makes you think anything is wrong?” Buffy started to fiddle with the hem of her shirt.

“Let’s see, tear tracks down your face, red eyes, the lack of a certain vampire at your side. Feel free to stop me when I am wrong.” Dawn folded her arms in front of her chest, waiting for an answer.

“We got into a fight… I think.”

“What do you mean, you don’t know if you got in a fight or not?”

“Yeah, I don’t know what happened. First, Giles called and was acting real weird about us not going out tonight to patrol. He was mean, Dawn. Real mean. And then we were talking about Giles and I said that I thought it was because of Angel…”

Dawn interrupted her. “Angel? You mentioned Angel? Knowing how Spike feels about him?”

“That shouldn’t matter. I love Spike, I told him, and he knows that I love him and that I want to be with him.”

“Yeah, Drusilla also said the same thing and look where that got him. God, Buffy how could you?”

“Well, it’s not like I was running out to find him, I just said his name and something. Then he got all crazy and pushed me out of the room and closed it. I don’t even remembered what he said except that I should go to him and have a happy life or something. Aw, Dawnie, I don’t even know why he’s upset. I stood outside the room for a long time, trying to get him to talk to me, but he never opened the door. What am I going to do?”

“I think you need to talk.”

“Yeah, well… tried that, he shut me out. Won’t listen to me.” Buffy’s tears were running down her face again. Dawn came up to sit beside her sister and wrapped a comforting arm around Buffy’s shoulders.

“It’s OK, Buf. We will figure out something. I mean he loves you and all. We will let him cool down a bit and then you two can talk.”

“What about Angel? If he really is in town… what if they meet up first? Angel doesn’t know about Spike and me… and I am not entirely sure he knows I am here… what if they get in a fight? What if…” Buffy trailed her sentence off. She didn’t want to think about the possible outcomes of when Angel found out about Spike and her. What if Angelus comes out, it’s almost happened before, Drusilla and Darla tried and almost succeeded. Lost in thought, Buffy didn’t know her sister went to get the door and she definitely didn’t hear or feel the new visitor to the house. “That’s it, I am done crying over him.” Buffy stated while wiping away her tears.

“Over who, Buff?” A masculine voice resonated through the living room. Looking up, Buffy recognized the tall figure in the room.

“Angel.” She promptly flew off the couch into his strong embrace.
~*~*~*~

“Bugger!” Spike swore as he watched her fly into his arms so quickly. Slowly, he turned away from the house and headed to the closest bar.