Chapter 4: Training

Buffy and Spike were resting in their hotel room when the call came in. It’s been three days since they arrived in Sunnydale. It’s been two days since they walked out of Giles’ apartment, away from Quentin Travers. It’s been one day since they told the Giles and the Scoobies that they were here to prevent apocalypses and nothing more until the Council can respect Buffy and any of the slayers. It’s been less than two hours since they passed out exhausted from their last round of lovemaking.

They spent the days making love in their rented room and nights hanging out with Dawn and her friends. The Scoobies hadn’t tried to make a connection since the first night with Quentin. Buffy was disappointed, but Giles knew that she would not be doing anything while Quentin was in the picture.

The call came from straight from Giles. The new slayer arrived and was ready for training. Giles asked for them to come to the Magic Box’s training room after the sun set. Quentin has left town for parts unknown. Spike was content to stay in the room and let the Watcher earn his living, but Buffy insisted that they go meet the new slayer. If the new slayer was going to survive, she must know that there is another one beating the odds and enjoying life.

They walked into the dark, deserted shop together just like old times, except this time, they were holding hands. Spike led the way to the back training room because he could see better in the dark. He held the door open for his slayer as she stepped through. Standing in the room in various poses were Giles, Willow, Xander, and a very scared little girl. Willow was the first to notice the in coming guests. She put down a book she was reading and headed over to the new couple.

“Hey, you two. How are you doing?” She said nervously as she hugged Buffy.

“Great, Wills. Hey everyone?” She addressed the rest of the group. Xander eyed Spike warily, not sure how to act around the dangerous vampire. Xander never truly forgave the liaison between his wife and Spike all those years ago. Giles turned around from trying to train the new slayer. The new slayer shrunk her body as much as she could, not knowing what was going on.

Giles was the next to walk over to the couple and hugged his surrogate daughter and shook Spike’s hand vigorously. “Glad you could make it. Buffy, there is someone I want you to meet. Buffy this is Katerina, the new slayer. Katerina this is Buffy.” Buffy stepped towards the young girl, extending her hand.

“Hi, Katerina. Guess this is all new to you?” The young girl nodded. “Yeah, it was a little overwhelming at first to me too.” The little girl gasped at the realization that this was a sister in arms. “How old are you?”

“Sixteen, ma’am.” She mumbled looking at the group of people staring at her. Ever since she arrived in this town, they were staring at her or telling her to do this or that. Frankly, the old man scared her. He kept taking off his glasses and wiping them whenever he got upset.

“Hmmm, I was fifteen when I was called. I think I understand how you are feeling and please call me Buffy, I am not a ma’am, yet.” Spike snorted at that and Buffy glared at him. “When did you find out?” Buffy sat down on an old couch, patting the seat next to her for the new girl. Katerina slowly stepped forward to sit down. She liked Buffy. She wasn’t demanding that Katerina try to punch, kick, or break anything.

“Three days ago, a man came to my home and told me that I was… was… a Vampire Slayer.” She started to sob. Buffy gently wrapped her arm around the young girl, trying to give her some solace.

Buffy looked up at the group in the room. “Guys, could you please give us a couple minutes. I need to talk to Katerina.” Everyone started to leave the room, heading back into the dark shop. “Spike, could you stay, please?” She whispered loud enough for everyone to hear, but not quite in a normal tone. He stayed back in the shadows, watching the two slayers. His slayer was comforting the younger one. “Do you know what that means?” Buffy asked Katerina when she finally relaxed a little. Katerna finally sat upright and shook her head. “Well, you have been given a gift of super power and with that power a great responsibility to protect the world and the humans on it. Before I was called, I didn’t believe in demons and vampires, but I found out quickly there are lots of evil things that lurk in the night. And some that lurk in the day.” Buffy looked towards Spike and winked at him. “Have you ever seen a vampire, Katerina?” Again, Katerina shook her head. Spike came out of the shadows and headed over to the couch. He kept his eyes on Katerina and Buffy as he neared. “Katerina, do you feel anything?” A slight nod. “That is what I call my spidey sense. It alerts you when there is a vampire near. As you get older and learn your powers, you will get used to it.” Katerina realized that the figure coming closer was in fact a vampire and she shrunk back. “Don’t worry, Katerina. This is Spike, he won’t bite you.” Spike sat on the other side of Buffy on the floor and vamped out. He kept his eyes on the new slayer, excited at the prospect of teaching her the lay of the land, more excited than even when he got to teach new vampires. “Spike is my… um… what are you Spike? More than a boyfriend?” Buffy suddenly got confused. The past weeks, Buffy didn’t think much about putting a name to what they had, but when introducing him to Katerina, she was grasping at a word.

“Mate, luv. You are my mate. I guess you would call me your significant other, whatever.” Spike spoke softly, prying his eyes from Katerina to Buffy. She smiled lovingly down at him and stroked his head.

“OK, he is my significant other.” She winked at him again. “He is a very dangerous vampire named Spike or William the Bloody. He has killed two slayers in his time.” She turned her attention back to Katerina.

“And loves one very much.” Spike interjected.

“Yes, well. Loves one very much. Anyways. The story of Spike and Buffy in Sunnydale because I want you to understand things aren’t always black and white, like the Watcher’s Council wants you to think. When we met, we were definitely mortal enemies. He was a vampire and I was the slayer. Understand? Following some circumstance that I really don’t want to go into, we struck a tentative truce. He left, came back, threatened me and my friends, left, came back, and threatened some more. You know the basics. I can see you want to ask why I never killed him and visa versa. I ask myself that same question.” She glanced over at Spike again; he was in normal human face. “I do know that I tried, many times and so did he, but it never was done. Anyways, on to the good part. There was a secret military group here that was studying the psychology of demonology. Basically they were doing experiments like what Pavlov did with his dogs. Spike came back to hurt me and got captured. Blah, blah, blah. Experiment here, surgery there, and they put an experimental microchip into his brain that stopped him from harming living things. In theory, every time the part of his brain that thought of violence to a living thing, the chip would pick it up and give him a headache. That about covers that, baby?” He nodded in consent, wincing at the memories. “So anyways, for all intents and purposes Spike could not bite or feed. The vampire community all but shunned him so he came to me and my friends for help. Knowing that we were do-gooders and would try to help him once we believed him. After a while, he figured out he could harm non-living things, like demons and vampires… he just couldn’t harm humans. So he began to work for us, we paid him, and he got his violence fix. Eventually, that relationship morphed and we stopped paying him. We became reluctant allies and friends. Now, a bunch of other things happened that I don’t want to go into right now, but we ended up having a really unhealthy and bad intimate relationship, if you get what I mean. So anyways, it ended badly. Both of us were so messed up in the head about the other. It ended. He left. A couple years later, I left. We worked through our issues. A couple weeks ago, Spike found me. We worked on it some more, and viola!! We are together.” She took Spike’s hand in her own. “Now, I know my friends in the other room do not agree with our relationship. In fact, I am sure you already have heard quite enough, but what I want you to know is that what happens between me and Spike is none of their business. Our relationship feels right to us and makes us both happy now. It doesn’t matter what outside forces try to make us bend towards, we are who we are. The same is true with you. What ever you find in this life that makes you happy, go for it. Others do not understand the duty you are faced with and what little joy you can hold onto is good.” Katerina smiled. This woman sitting next to her bypassed all the odds and now is in a relationship with her enemy.

“So, so you st-still have a microchip?” The girl whispered, still not sure how she should act.

“Nah, little slayer. That was one of my issues that I had to work on.” He smirked at the delicate wording Buffy chose. “Oh, and little one, don’t be afraid to ask me anything, the more you find out about your enemy the better,” he winked at her as she blushed.

“I don’t understand my enemy?”

Buffy took the reigns of the conversation again. “See, even though Spike won’t hurt you, there are other vampires out there that will, without a second thought. Actually, I can only think of two vampires that would not purposefully hurt you. Spike is one, the other one is Angel, but both are still dangerous. Their nature is just like ours: kill or be killed. I don’t recommend following in my footsteps, but I want you to know that options are out there. No one has the right to try to dictate your life. I let the Watcher’s Council and friends do that way to long, and it destroyed me. I had nothing left. I don’t want to see that happen to you. OK?” Katerina nodded. “Good, now… let’s get you ready for your duty.” The rest of the night was spent in the training room, teaching Katerina some basic fighting moves. Giles stuck around to help, but the rest of the Scoobies left to go home. Katerina picked the moves up easily enough, and was very glad someone else understood the pressure suddenly thrust upon her. She watched the two lovers interact with each other. At the moment, they were demonstrating a strangle hold for her. Spike was holding Buffy’s neck, careful not to put too much pressure on it. She was trying to get away from it. Giles was sitting on the couch, reading some demon book. Katerina watched the two in their mock battle, for her benefit. Buffy threw her leg back and connected with Spike’s leg. He howled in pain as his grip loosened. She flipped him back and easily extricated herself from his neck grip. Katerina stopped watching them and was studying a silver sword on the wall near her position. Her leg flew up towards his chest and connected. His body flew back to collide with the wall. Buffy advanced, like a tiger hunting, and grabbed his shirt to throw him down so she could finish the fight. Spike shook his head clear from the impact and watched as his love came towards him. He feigned confusion as she neared. Buffy was within striking distance and she pounced on her prey. Her arms were outstretched, trying to get purchase. She kicked her legs forward to collide with his. Spike grabbed her waist easily and spun so Buffy was trapped between him and the wall. Before she knew what was happening, Spike’s face changed and swept down to her throat. He arms and legs still flailing, Spike nuzzled the soft skin between her neck and shoulder and whispered, “I won, what is my prize?” Buffy pushed her arms and legs against his hard body to no avail. He pushed her flatter against the wall and nuzzled her neck again, purring. Spike ground his hips into hers as his cock grew with anticipation. She smiled coyly and bucked her hips closer to his, causing him to hiss. “What’s my prize, pet?” He slowly massaged the flesh on her hips as they undulate with desire.

“What do you want?” Her eyes glazed over in desire. This was a new version of an old game. His game face slipped away as he continued to nuzzle her face. His grip tightened a bit and then relaxed. He looked around at the watcher and new slayer, both not paying a bit of attention to the two warriors. Buffy used the distraction to propel him away from her. Spike stumbled back and fell on the floor. Buffy leaped up and landed and his upper stomach, straddling his body. She securely pinned down his arms and loomed over his head. He looked up at the tiny, yet strong; nymph perched right in front of him. He glared at her as he took an unnecessary breath. The smell of her arousal, so near yet so far away, assaulted his senses, his cock and teeth elongating as he stared into her lust filled eyes. “Looks like you spoke too soon, sweetheart. I win.” She punctuated her statement with a twist of her hips, grinding her sex into his chest. Giles looked up at the pair and immediately looked away. Katerina got up and headed over to the pair on the floor.

“Ok, you beat him, can I go now?” She was tired and crabby. It was fun to learn the self-defense moves at first, but now she was just sitting on the sidelines. She had watched the two spar for over an hour and was bored.

“Yeah, sure. I think that would be of the good. Rest, yeah, definitely of the good.” Buffy got up from Spike, noticing his pout from the loss of warm body on top of his. Buffy helped Spike up and he turned away from her. He adjusted his package in his pants carefully so he could walk with out too much pain. He turned around to the two slayers with his rakish grin on his face and winked at Buffy. Buffy realized his problem and didn’t want to corrupt the younger slayer. She directed Katerina’s attention away from Spike as he got his state under control. “Where are you staying? We can drop you off.” Spike and Buffy rented a car the previous day so they wouldn’t have to rely on Dawn or the others to get around.