Chapter 19: The Scoobies

A dressed Buffy looked out the peephole and saw Willow. Her red hair swayed in the wind as she waited. A half naked Spike was behind Buffy, trying to peer out the peephole also. “Stop, Spike. Go downstairs and wait for me.” Spike groaned and pinned Buffy up against the front door. “Spike!” His head swooped down and began to nuzzle the side of her neck. His hands slide down her arms to cup her ass and rub his cock into her groin. “Stop Spike,” she whined and he complied by stepping back a little. His hands rested on her waist, ready to listen to her. “It’s Willow.” Spike growled at the mention of her name. “Please, Spike, go downstairs.” He reluctantly stepped away and headed to the kitchen and down the stairs. Sighing dramatically, Buffy turned back to the door and the annoying doorbell ringing again. She fixed the loose fitting turtleneck around her neck. At times like these, Buffy almost wished she had long hair again. It was hot outside and she was stuck with itching fabric on her neck. “Willow,” Buffy greeted her old friend icily.



“Um, Buffy, um, hi! Can I come in?” Willow stepped forward. Buffy glared at the Wicca like she had just asked the impossible.



“I don’t know… can you?” Seeing Willow again brought up very unpleasant memories.



“Buffy I need to tell you something.” Willow rung her fingers together.



“So tell… I am not stopping you.” Buffy arms crossed in front of her. Her legs were shoulder width apart and blocking the entrance to the home.



Willow looked around and whispered, “Inside… I think someone is watching me.”



Buffy watched as the girl’s eyes darted around again. With great reluctance Buffy stepped aside. “Fine, come in, but be warned you aren’t welcome and not staying long.” Willow nodded and headed inside. Before closing the door Buffy looked out and noticed a black sedan sitting a couple houses down. Pursing her lips, Buffy followed Willow into the living room.



“Look, I know I am one of the last people on earth you want to see let alone talk to, but you have to listen to me.”



Buffy held up her hand. “No, I don’t have to listen to you. You have no idea how much I don’t have to talk to you.” A large growl filled the room. Looking around, the girls noticed Spike in the archway in game face staring at Willow. Moving as quickly as she could, Buffy ran between Willow and Spike, blocking Spike’s attack.



“What… what’s wrong with him?” Willow looked scared. Her hands were shaking as Buffy moved closer to Spike. His face dipped down and moved the fabric away from Buffy’s neck, nuzzling and licking his mark. Feeling like an intruder during this intimate moment, Willow looked away and out the window. Spike growled in Willows direction, but kept his head down in Buffy’s neck. “Stop it, Spike,” Buffy admonished lightly and stepped away from her lover, her mate. She turned towards Willow and leveled her gaze onto the woman. Willow faced them and gasped. “Buffy, what happened to your neck.” She stepped forward but stopped when Spike grunted at her and grabbed Buffy’s waist.



Buffy’s hand went up to her bruised neck and winced. “Oh, yeah. Spike… it’s not what you think. Actually why do I care what you think?”



“Buffy, what’s going on?” Willow understood Buffy’s reaction, but she just wasn’t giving an inch.



“Like you care,” she spat out.



“Buffy, its not…” Willow tried desperately to grasp at words, but none would come to her.



“Yes it is. Do you have any idea what is going on?” Buffy stood in front of Spike, just incase he decided to attack Willow.



“OK, I don’t know what’s going on with Spike and all the grr face and I don’t know what is with your neck. It looks pretty bad, you should put something on it.” Spike growled and tried to lunge past Buffy, but she reached out and dragged Spike behind her again. “But I do know that sweeper team is here and they know about Angel and they aren’t leaving without Spike.” Willow glanced outside the window again and her fear rose as she watched Xander get out of the black car parked a couple houses away.



“What do they know about Angel?” Buffy struggled to keep her emotions in check.



“That he was with Spike when you were looking for him and that Spike murdered him.” Spike sniffed the air and grunted.



“Well, they are missing some details, but technically correct.” Buffy grabbed Spike and moved him to the chair and sat on his lap. Hopefully this would keep the vampire from making any sudden moves. She noticed that Willow was becoming increasingly jittery.



“Look, Buffy. I… I’m sorry for following Xander. I wasn’t thinking clearly. He just… I don’t know… but he’s not right.” Buffy nodded. “He’s… he’s coming up the sidewalk right now and I think that he brought the sweeper team. You have to get Spike out of here, they are going to torture him!” Willow pleaded her case with much emotion.



“They are too late. Angel beat them to it.” Willow looked shocked. “That’s what is going on. Angel tortured him and did some brain washing… Spike… Well his demon self is in control.” Willow looked back out the window not really comprehending what Buffy was saying. Spike let out a loud growl as Xander neared the house.



“Please, Buffy. Let me do a spell and slow down Xander. You two get out of here.”



“How? In case you haven’t noticed it’s day light out there.” Buffy felt exhausted.



“Buffy, they are coming!”



“Yeah, and whose fault is it?”



“I didn’t mean for it to go this far! Please!” Willow had tears pouring down her face as she begged her friend. “Please let me help!” Xander knocked on the door.



Buffy’s head whipped around as Spike lunged from underneath her. Managing to grab a hold of Spike’s arm, Buffy halted his movements. “No, Spike. Go downstairs and wait for me this time!” Spike growled and refused to leave his mate’s side. His eyes narrowed and his hands jutted out on his hips. “Now!” Another knock on the door, “Spike, go. Down. Stairs. Now.” Buffy struggled to contain the fear in her eyes as she watched Spike defiantly stand next to the door. “Willow, this would be a good time to help.”



Willow, one step ahead of Buffy chanted quietly in the corner. Her eyes turned from black as she finished the chant. Looking expectantly up at them, she noticed her spell did not work. “It didn’t work, I’m sorry. It was supposed to make Spike do as you say.”



“Another will be done spell?” The two girls all but forgot about the man on the other side of the door until he knocked again.



“No, nothing like that… just a temporary spell…kind of makes him into your willing slave.”



“Oh, that makes it so much better. Spike go downstairs and wait for me.” Buffy pleaded, but Spike ignored. The knocking became insistent. Glancing out the door, Buffy saw Xander and visa versa.



“Buffy, let me in we need to talk.”



“Xander, go away. This isn’t the time.”



“God damn it, Buffy. Spike is dangerous!”



Without thinking, Buffy opened the door and looked at Xander. “Spike, dangerous? I think you need to look into a mirror.”



Xander stepped in and grabbed Buffy’s arm. “I need to look in a mirror? How about you, or haven’t you noticed your neck?” His fingers roughly brushed up against the mark, making her wince in pain. Spike launched himself at Xander in full demon mode. Xander flew across the room and landed in the corner. Stalking over, Spike growled and grabbed the prone body. He shook Xander like a rag doll and threw him into the kitchen. Buffy grabbed Spike as he continued to beat Xander. She watched kicks to Xander’s stomach and punches to his head. She pleaded with Spike to stop, but he just growled and continued. Satisfied that his prey, the man touching his mark on his mate, was unconscious, Spike bent down, ready for a meal and punishment.



Willow came in and chanted and yelled, “Separate!”



Spike’s body flew through the kitchen, hitting the basement door with a bang. The wood complained and threatened to break from the impact. His unconscious body slumped down as Buffy ran towards him. Gathering his body up in her arms she rocked him, hoping that he would wake up soon. Xander’s bloody body skidded across the kitchen to the opposite side during Willow’s incantation. Willow calmly walked over and stooped down, feeling for his pulse. Finding a faint one, she hurried over to the phone and called 911.



Buffy had Spike’s head in her lap as she cried for the man and demon she loved. Looking up, Spike saw the total grief on her face. He opened his mouth, but no sound came out. He tried again and rasped, “Slayer?”