Chapter 16: There’s something about Spike
A/N: Character death

Buffy pounded on the door. It shook and shook like it was going to break. “Come out you piece of worm shit!” In the back of her mind, Buffy knew he probably wasn’t home, but she was mad. Spike was missing. She stopped by the hotel and he was nowhere to be seen. The voice mail was picked up since the red light was now not lit and the blood was consumed. Buffy resigned herself and left the hotel in search of the bleached vampire.

Next stop: Xander’s work. She stepped on the work site with the obligatory hard hat in search of the worm shit. She recognized some of the workers from her half-day stint as construction queen. They ignored her as she continued her search. After two trips around the work site, Buffy’s anger increased. Xander was not there. Huffing, she headed to the Magic Box.

Kicking the door open, Buffy entered with her usual grace. Anya jumped and searched for a place to hide. “Where is that piece of worm shit that you call your husband?” Anya looked at the customers running to the door, eager to leave.

She sighed, “I haven’t seen him since last night.”

“I think you have. Why are protecting that fucking asshole?” Anya raised her eyebrows. Buffy never used to talk this way.

“I’m not, that’s why I told Dawn. I wish I wasn’t involved.”

Buffy gasped, “You wish huh? That’s interesting. Where is he?” Buffy stalked over to the counter Anya was behind.

“I don’t know. Really, I don’t.” Buffy turned around and left the Magic Box through the front door. Just then, Xander was entering the Magic Box through the back.
~*~*~
“Sweeper team? Are you sure?” Giles rubbed his glasses with his handkerchief.

“That’s the story I got. You haven’t heard this yet?”

“No… Xander… did not inform me… I sincerely did not know.”

“Relax, Giles. I believe you. Anya said it was Willow, her, and Xander planning. Xander mostly. Do you know where a sweeper team might hold up?”

“An unassuming hotel maybe. Abandoned building? If they have Spike, they probably drugged him.”

“Giles, what am I going to do?” Buffy slumped on the couch with her head in her hands.

“Can you feel him?”

“Huh?”

“Can you feel him? He mentioned something about you being a mate?” Giles sat down next to Buffy.

“Um, well. We discussed it. We decided we weren’t ready, yet.”

Giles pushed out the breath he was holding. “Good, good.”

“Why is it good?”

“The situation gets, uh… sticky.”

“What do you mean?”

“Let’s not discuss… this… now. When we find Spike we can discuss it.”

“OK, why did you ask if I could feel him?”

“Part of the mating, feeling each others emotions and thoughts.”

“Huh, really?” Buffy feigned ignorance, but she actually read about vampire mating recently on the Internet. She deduced a lot of it was speculation and exaggeration. “Back on topic. Where would a sweeper team keep Spike?”

“I don’t know. Are you sure they have him?”

“All I know is that they rolled into town yesterday and now he is missing.”
~*~*~
He slowly came into consciousness again. The burns on his chest were healing into a reddish pink scar. His ribs ached, all but a few broken with mistreatment. There were three holes in his gut where Angel bored metal rods into his body. Spike’s legs no longer had the strength to carry his weight. His arms were stretched taunt from the manacles attached to the wall. His shoulders ached. Barely able to open his eyes, Spike saw his sire whittling a piece of wood into a stake. “Who are you, boy?”

Spike opened his mouth, but no sound came out. Angel crushed his Spike’s windpipe a couple hours ago when Spike didn’t answer the way Angel wanted him to. Instead of sound, Spike breathed, “No one.”

“Do you deserve her?” Angel got up from the chair and stalked over to bloodied and beaten body of Spike. The prisoner shook his head negatively. “Do you want her?” The head nodded and Angel growled. Throwing a punch at Spike’s head, Angel also kneed Spike between the legs. “She doesn’t want you. Doesn’t need you. She hates you. You are a monster. Beneath her.” The words were falling on deaf ears, Spike had lost consciousness once more.
~*~*~
Buffy crept along the deserted building. The night sky held no stars or moon. It was devoid of any light or miracle. The night air felt heavy and made it hard for Buffy to breathe. She went through the cemeteries, beating and killing any unfortunate demon that crossed her path and didn’t know anything about the whereabouts of Spike. She was surprised that Angel didn’t follow her. She knew he had been hanging around lately.

Buffy smiled at the irony that Angel tried to stay far enough away from her so she wouldn’t feel his presence, but knowing that as she got older she also got stronger. Her first discovery of the fact was when she lived in New York. She could run faster and jump twice as high as she used it. Buffy called Giles immediately to tell him of her discovery. Giles made a trip to New York on the premise to visit but it really was to test her new powers. It turned out every anniversary of her being chosen she gained stronger powers. At the present time, she was doubly as strong as she was when she was 15. Her slayer/spidey sense now included other varieties of harmful demons and had increased its range threefold. She never shared this information with anyone but Giles. Even the council had no idea of her increased abilities.

She received a tip that someone or something was being tortured in an abandoned building down by the docks. And the tip came from the ultimate snitch… Willy. He even provided the information without payment: monetary or fist wise. She continued to lurk around the building trying to hear noises. Coming to the front entrance she felt it. Felt HIM. Strongly. Suddenly afraid for him, she burst through the door. She ran to where she knew he was. Weaving around crates of old cargo, Buffy made her way to the back.

Nothing could have prepared her for the image she ran into. At least ten times worse than what Glory left him. His face was barely recognizable as a face. His hair was matted with blood and a dark substance like grease or oil. His eyes were swollen shut. His nose was at least twice as large with a big bump on his bridge. His lips were cut and bloodied. He vamped out as soon as she neared him. The formation of ridges on his swollen head made him groan, but the elongation of his teeth made him howl in pain.

He was straining from the wall, trying to break the bonds that held him semi-upright. He growled a deep warning as she neared. His arms were red with blood leaking from where the manacle held him. His chest didn’t move like he usually made it move. His legs tried to make him stand, but they failed.

Buffy moved closer and his growl intensified. “Shhh, baby. I’m here.” His growl continued. “Buffy’s here, Spike. I’m going to take care of you.” His growl deepened, yet was not as loud as it was. “Shh, I’m here. I’ll take care of you.” She stepped forward and his growl decreased in volume. “God, what did they do to you?” His growl intensified. She was so busy trying to figure out how to help him, she didn’t hear the front door opening or feel the demon that entered. “Ok, baby. I’m here. They wont hurt you anymore.” She dug out her cell phone. “Yeah, it’s me. I found him. Not of the good. We need blood, lots of it. Human preferably… the hospital… I don’t care, steal it… O Neg is his favorite, but any will do… You don’t want to know… trust me, it isn’t pretty… Thanks, Dawn.” Buffy hung up the phone. Spike’s growls became louder the longer she was on the phone. “Shh, baby. Let’s get you out of this.” She moved closer to inspect the chairs that held him. Spike moved his head towards her and tried to reach out his head, snapping his teeth at her arm. “Spike, stop it. I’m trying to get you free.” She reached up, careful of his teeth still trying to nip at her. She tugged the chain and it let go of his right hand. She silently thanked the powers for her increased power. She moved over to the other one and Spike roared. Buffy stepped back, but his noises were still becoming louder and fiercer.

“I think he wants you to go away.” A dark voice from the shadows announced.

Buffy turned around at the sound of the voice and strained her eyes to see. “Who are you, what have you done to him?”

“Nothing he didn’t deserve, isn’t that right, boy?” Spike’s growl increased again. His free arm tugging on the chains that held his other.

“Angel?” Buffy remembered that voice. It sounded more like Angelus. He used the same voice when he visited her at her hotel. “How could you?” Spike gave up trying to free his arm when he heard her voice again, instead, he blindly reached for her. Coming up empty he growled and continued his search for her being.

“He took what was mine.” Angel stepped out of the shadows into the light. He was covered in blood and Buffy suspected it was Spike’s blood.

“Yours?” She sidestepped Spike’s latest attempt to grab her. “What the hell did he take? Your tinker toy?”

Angel roared with laughter. “You, my precious girl, are the most naive one I have ever met. You are mine, always and forever. He chose to disregard my claim and therefore he is paying for that insolence.”

“Oh my god, do you listen to yourself or do you let the shit just fly out of your mouth. I told you I am not property and if I was I am not your property.” Spike growled as Angel moved closer.

“Oh yes, you are, my dear. And I will show you that fact, just like I showed Spikey.” Angel moved closer.

“Stay away, Angel. I am going to take Spike and we are leaving.” She looked up into Angel’s cold eyes. The life that used to flicker underneath his lashes was gone. She only saw darkness and evil.

“I love you, Buffy.” He moved closer and Spike roared.

“I loved you, but I am not in love with you. Please just walk away.” Angel was now only a few feet from her.

“Tsk, tsk, my dear girl. You will see.” She stared into his eyes, knowing what he was about to do but unable to move. “Now, be a good girl and come here.” She was helpless to not do what he said. She slowly moved closer to him. “See, you are my girl.” He smiled and changed into his demon form. “Now move your hair off your neck and tilt.” Spike roared angrily as Buffy did as Angel commanded. With renewed strength, Spike desperately fought against the last chain holding him in place. Angel moved in and kissed her neck tenderly. Tears escaped Buffy’s eyes. Ever since she was chosen, her greatest fear was turning into a vampire and now Angel meant to make her one. Angel took one last look at Spike and his actions of trying to escape and sneered. “See, she wants me boy, not you. You are nothing. Nobody. Beneath us.” Angel went back to Buffy’s neck and kissed her again. Her body was racked with sobs. “Shhh, Buff, I’ll take care of you. Give you all that you deserve.” Her skin began to give way to his sharp teeth.

Spike managed to grab the back of Buffy and pull her away just as Angel started to bite. He growled and brought Buffy closer to his body. He was wearing the demon visage as he encircled her waist and hugged her. He ripped his bound arm down, breaking the links of the chain. His head went down to the marks Angel barely made. His tongue snaked out and licked her wound. He growled and pushed Buffy away. She flew through the air and landed soundless about thirty feet away in dark shadows of the cargo. She looked back and saw Spike had Angel by the neck. The next thing she knew was dust floating around Spike and Angel was gone. He grunted and looked around for her. She stood up and faced him as he crept towards her position.

Spike fell to his knees in front of her. His arms encircled her waist. She stood there with the brutally beaten vampire holding on to her like a lifeline. She petted the top of his head, careful to miss the bruises. The wounds on his torso were still bleeding quite heavily and her pants were getting bloody because of it. She looked down and tried to comfort him. Spike looked up at his saving angel and sunk his teeth into her belly, drinking her comfort.