Chapter 14: Sweet Beginnings, Harsh endings

Buffy spent the morning checking her email through her laptop and high-speed connection through the hotel. Most of her messages were SPAM messages promoting ways to increase her penis size. Buffy chuckled and threw those away. She didn’t need them and Spike definitely didn’t need them. Spike. The bleached blonde kept running through her mind. She spent all last night stuck in her room, waiting for him to call, but he hadn’t. She was beginning to worry so she tried calling the Radisson again. He still didn’t answer. Damn Vampire! The sun was out without a cloud in the sky. She wondered where he had gotten to. Dawn hadn’t heard from him, either. At times she thought she felt him in the distance, but when ever she went to look out her window all she saw was the night. Sighing, Buffy went down to the workout room to expend some of her pent up energy. She bandaged up her hand and went to work on the punching bag. She could go over to the Radisson and try to reason with him, but the ball was in his court. Suddenly a thought entered her mind. Damn the court and whose side the ball was in! She quickly disposed of the tape around her knuckles and ran up to her room.

Clean, refreshed, and on a mission, Buffy ran down the steps, refusing to wait for the slow elevator. She ran to her car and jumped in. “I’m coming, baby,” she repeated her mantra all the way to the Radisson. She stopped at the front desk to get a spare key, luckily the attendant remembered her from when they first checked in. She wound her way to the room and knocked three times on the door, listening for movement. No movement. She unlocked the door and stepped inside. Spike was sprawled half naked on the floor near the bed with at least five empty Jack Daniels bottles around him. Her face turned downwards as she watched him in his alcohol-induced coma. Stepping over him, she picked up the bottles and trash. She knelt down beside him and pushed at his shoulder. “Spike, baby, wake up.” No movement except his nostrils flaring. “Come on, sweetie, time to get up.” She really didn’t want to pick him up, but he was giving her no other choice. Reaching down, she managed to get her arm under his thighs and the other under his neck. This wasn’t the best hold to pick him up, but she really didn’t have a choice. Luckily the bed was only a couple feet away. Laying him down, she noticed his skin felt warmer than usual. Going into the bathroom to get a wet washcloth, she noticed the mirror had been shattered with two fist-sized holes starting the many fissures. Shaking her head, Buffy continued to get the damp washcloth and returned to the main room. Spike was still sprawled on the bed where she left him. Buffy sat down next to him and bathed his face with the cool washcloth. His nose twitched as she ran over it. His legs twitched as she ran the cloth over his abdomen. She got up to rewet the cloth and ring it out. Spike opened his eyes as she moved away from the bed. The pain searing through his head and the belief he was dreaming of his girl made him close his eyes once more. She sat back down and began to wash his arms and hands. His body moved to its side and jean-clad legs moved to cradle her form. He was almost balled up in a fetal position around her as she bathed the tender cuts from the mirror on his knuckles.

After she finished her task, she patted his head and moved a stray curl from his forehead. He moaned and snuggled closer to her body. She threw the washcloth on the nightstand and pushed Spike away. He growled as she tried to pry his body from her, but she continued to try to push him so she could lie down next to him. His hand came out and clamped down on her wrist and yanked on it. She tumbled over his body and he moved so he was lying on top of her. His nose nuzzled her throat as he began to purr like he does after sex. She ran her hands down his back in a soothing manner. His tongue snaked out and licked her tender neck flesh and his hold tightened. She wiggled, trying to get comfortable and his purring turned into a loud growl. His forehead turned bumpy and she felt his teeth elongate. Her muscles went stiff, waiting for him to make his move. Buffy lay there wondering if he had any control over the demon and if he was going to bite her.

Instead of piercing her skin, his mouth grazed her jugular and his teeth rested on her neck. He moved his head a little and the sharp teeth lightly cut her skin. At the smell of her blood he began to lap the red liquid up, but not making a move to bite her. Contented that her cuts were clean and healing, his face reverted back to human and began to purr again. “Spike?” She nudged his shoulder. She had slayer strength and all, but the way his body was position, she was getting uncomfortable. “Baby?” He nuzzled her neck deeper. “Honey, why did you get drunk?” She patted his head, playing with the curls at the top.

“Left me,” he mumbled. His body shifted a little, relieving some pressure on Buffy. She sighed and nuzzled his cheek. She looked over at the phone and noticed the light indicating a voice mail message was lit up.

“Why didn’t you check the phone messages?”

“No one loves Spike. No one calls.” He drowsily answered.

“I did, too. I love you Spike.”

“No one loves Spike. He’s evil.” The messages from his brain were starting to get through the alcohol-induced haze.

“I do, too. Spike, wake up!”

“No, Buffy leave Spike if he wakes up.” He shifted again and she finally noticed his erection.

“Stop talking about yourself in third person and wake the fuck up.” She shoved at his shoulder but he held on to her.

“No one loves Spike. They all leave. My Buffy left.”

“Spike, baby, wake up! I can’t talk to you like this,” Buffy pleaded, hoping he would wake up.

“Spike wake up and Buffy go bye bye. No wanna wake up. Spike love Buffy. My Buffy.” He curled his body around her again.

Giving up, Buffy decides to talk to him in the same language that he is talking in. “Buffy needs to talk to Spike or Buffy leaves your dream.”

“No, leave. Buffy no love Spike anymore.” Frustrated and angry at the drunken vampire that kept babbling about no love, she tickled his side, making him giggle like a little child. He rolled over trying to protect his side. Taking the opportunity she rolled the other way, getting away from him.

“Spike, please wake up. Buffy promises not to leave if Spike wakes up.” Spike’s face distorted into a confused way, wondering why her voice moved positions and there was no warm body near him anymore. His arm reached for her, but she evaded it. “Spike, wake up you stupid vampire.”

“Buffy leave, no love Spike.”

“Yes, I do! I need to speak with Spike, baby wake up!” Her answer was nothing. His body relaxed back into a deep sleep. She shook her head and went over to the desk. She wrote a small note: Check the Voice Mail! And set it by the phone. She went back over to the bed and tucked Spike’s body under the covers. Buffy picked up his dirty clothes and went down to the laundry room to wash them. Having put them in the washer, she went back to the room to straighten up a little more. She went into the bathroom and picked up the glass that happened to come down when he punched the mirror. She went back to the laundry room to switch his clothes from washer to the dryer. Satisfied, Buffy got into her rental car and headed to the butchers for some blood.

Coming back, she checked on his clothes and brought the dry ones back. Setting the blood and clothes down, she filled the ice bucket with ice to keep the blood fresh. She folded his jeans and shirts and stacked them on the dresser. Hopefully he would remember his ‘dream’ and know she was the one that helped him out. Shaking her head once more, she left the room
~*~*~
Across the street and under the protection of the ally, a dark figure watched as she ran around the hotel. He followed her from her hotel. He watched her from the lobby of the hotel as she pounded on the bag exerting her excess energy when she stopped and got a funny look on her face. She raced up the stairs near the workout room and raced down them a couple minutes later. He knew where she was going, whom she was going to, but he was powerless to stop her without revealing his position. He could only watch as she entered his room. Now, she was leaving, he knew it.
~*~*~
That night, still no word from Spike. Buffy wondered if all those bottles were from the night before. Sitting on the open windowsill with the phone next to her and chatting with some journalist friends online, Buffy heard a knock at the door. She checked her inner voice and knew it wasn’t a vampire, more specifically: not her vampire. Dragging her tired body to the door she peaked out. Sam was beaming in front of her. “What’s up, Buttercup?” She opened the door and let him in. He looked around at all the flowers and made a low wolf whistle. “Looks like home, what’s the deal?”

“Spike, he sent them.” Buffy shrugged, not wanting to go into it. Sam was like an older brother and very protective of Buffy. She knew if he got wind that Spike and her had a falling out, she was sure he would try to take matters in his own hands.

“Ah, yes. The jealous mea aloha (beloved).” He shook his head and sat down on the couch.

“How… how did you know?” She sat next to him, comfortable with his presence.

“Psychic, you know… Comes with being a big kahuna on the island.” He tapped his forehead and smiled.

“Sha, big kahuna, my ass. More like big pain in the ass.” He scowled at her tormenting. “So why the happy face?”

“Can’t a guy be happy to see his girl?”

“Um, yeah… except I don’t see Jenna here. Seriously, SPILL.” Angry, jealous eyes peered up into her room seeing Buffy and Sam together. A low growl was heard by anyone that might happen to pass. She swatted his shoulder and he dove to tickle her. She squirmed and yelped until she got the upper hand and held him at bay. “For being a big kahuna you don’t seem to have much control. Spill.” He shrugged. “Oh my god…. You have the kissy face. Who have you been kissing?”

“Umbubua,” Sam mumbled. Buffy strained her ear to hear his

“Dawn? Oh you Casanova!” She giggled and bounced on his lap. “I can’t believe you two finally got together!”

“It was nice, you know?” She got off his lap and let go of his wrists to sit back down.

“No, I don’t want to know if it was nice kissing my sister.” She pouted. Down on the street another figure joined the first. The two growled at each other and morphed into their true nature. Fangs are bared fists start flying.

“Seems like she likes to keep one on the side, huh, Spikey?”

“Shut up, Angelus!”

Angel sniffs the air, “And human, too.” Spike growled and launched himself at his sire. Angel stepped aside and Spike flew past.

“Not drunk, tonight, bloody poof. Come and get me.” Spike was dancing on the tips of his toes, waiting for Angel to strike.

“You know.” Angel launched himself at Spike. “She should be with a human.” Punch to Spike’s gut. “Walk in the sunlight.” Kick to the legs. “Eat together.” Spike went into a barrel roll. “Get married.” Punch to Spike’s head. “Have babies.” A quick succession of punches to Spike’s stomach. “You know, everything you can’t do. Everything normal.” Angel backed off a little, getting ready for another barrage of hurtful words and fists when Spike launched his own body toward his Sire.

Spike kicked Angel’s feet out from underneath him. He straddled the large body and started to punch Angel’s face. “She isn’t normal you twit.” He pounded down on Angel’s chest. “She doesn’t want to be normal.” Angel struggled under the intensity of Spike’s attack. “She just wants to be happy.” Angel bucked his hips, throwing Spike off balance and ending his tirade of punches. “Why can’t you blokes see that?”

“Happy with you, my boy?” Angel moved over to Spike to continue his attack. “Who would be happy with you? A pathetic excuse for a vampire, I’d say. I should have left you to die when Drusilla couldn’t finish your turning. Neutered by a chip, forced to be the Slayer’s toy.” Angel laughed before he continued his punches. “Falls in love with the Slayer and follows her around like a lost puppy dog. But didn’t you do that before? Yeah, you followed Dru around, too. Lost little lamb, she used to call you, wasn’t it?” Spike threw Angel off for just a second so he could attack back. Spike rammed his whole body into Angel’s gut, propelling both about five feet away. “She’ll never be happy with you, Spike.” Angel punched Spike’s jaw hard, throwing him off. “They never are happy with you.” Angel hopped up and went over to Spike and kicked his prone body on the ground. “You aren’t good enough.” Another hard kick to Spike’s abdomen. “They always come back to me.” Angel grabbed a fist full of Spike’s hair and punched, knocking Spike out. The last thought Spike had before blackness took him was of Buffy in the sand.