Ball & Chain


by PaganBaby

Rated NC-17!! Do not read if you are underage.

This is the continuation of 'Coming Clean'. This fic is in answer to those of you who wanted the satisfaction of seeing (or reading) the happy couple actually get married. I like to give my readers what they want, so here ya go!

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback and supported my efforts. This fic is for you.
Thanks also to Tiana, my wonderful beta. I love ya! *smooch*

Warnings for: Strong sexual content, graphic descriptions of sex, some violence. Please do not read if you have a problem with explicit porn-type sex.

Summary: Sequel to 'Coming Clean'. Buffy and Spike take the plunge.

Joss and ME own everything, I own diddly-squat.
Additional credits at end of story.



Chapter 1: The Wedding


One year after Spike's proposal...

Buffy was the one that made the decision to tie the knot, to take the plunge, to make an honest man of her fiancé - and any other euphemism for marriage you can think of. As corny as it was, she couldn’t wait to be his wife - or for him to be her husband. They had originally wanted to wait until she finished college, but Buffy changed her mind.

What a long, strange trip it had been - from their initial tryst in a New York City hotel suite to a trip to the altar. Neither Buffy nor Spike could have imagined or predicted that their lives would turn out this way. When they'd parted in New York they didn't even think they'd ever see the other again. Now they were together, deeply in love and inseparable.

The engagement had been a lot of fun, a great party was thrown in their honor at The Bronze (where they would hold the reception) and they received lots of presents. Buffy especially liked getting presents.

It was easy to slip into domestic bliss together. Sure, they had the usual, petty little spats (sometimes they started something just to be able to apologize and make up later - in bed), but they vowed never to go to sleep angry with each other. Their sex life stayed just as active and creative as it had been from the beginning. Buffy was continually amazed by Spike’s vast knowledge of sex and sexual positions, he had a different one to try everyday. (Where did he come up with that stuff?) That sex swing sure did come in handy for the more acrobatic maneuvers. It was a comfort to both of them that at least their sex life would always be solid, no chance of that getting stale in the next century or so.

Sick and tired of her father’s on-again, off-again affection, Buffy made the decision that she wanted Giles (the man who’d been there for her and made her feel more loved than her biological pop had in years) to be the one to give her away. When Buffy called Hank and told him, he’d been furious, refusing to come to the wedding if she didn’t change her mind. She didn’t. Buffy stood firm - it was her wedding day, and she’d have it the way she wanted it. If Hank didn’t like it, that was tough shit. Hank and Vicki didn’t show up - and that was ok with Buffy. She’d finally accepted that her father was a jerk, and she wouldn’t be crying over him again.


The big day was upon them. All the months of planning and fretting over details had finally come to an end. Buffy and Spike hadn’t been nervous about it in the least - until the actual day of the wedding...


Buffy was standing in front of a big, full-length mirror in her wedding dress while Cordy, Willow and Buffy’s younger cousin Dawn helped make sure she looked her very best.

Buffy was wearing a traditional, white dress (her and her friends had a good laugh about the irony of wearing white). Her dress was strapless, corded lace with beads sewn all over the material. Buffy gave up her dream of a ‘Lady Di’ dress with a train a mile long - that was just a fantasy and not terribly practical. She had a small train so as not to drive her bridesmaids crazy. A short, half-veil was pinned on the top of her head. Her hair was loose and lightly curled, thanks to Cordy's hairdressing talents.

“Breathe, Buffy,” Willow said, lightly patting her friend on the back.

“I look like crap! What was I thinking making the ceremony so early in the morning?!" Buffy said, looking worriedly at her reflection.

"You look beautiful!" Cordelia said. "And you made it a morning ceremony so you could get everything over with by evening - that way, you'll be in Maui by tonight. Very sensible."

"I’m - so fricking nervous - Oh God - what if I trip? I’ll trip and fall flat on my face! Why did I choose such a long dress?! People will be laughing for years about stupid, clumsy Buffy tripping on her way down the aisle...the guy we hired to videotape the ceremony will capture my humiliation on film for all to see...”

“You won’t trip,” Cordy said patiently.

“You’ll be fine.” Willow made sure Buffy’s veil was secured for the fiftieth time.

“I don’t want Spike to think I’m nervous about marrying him - I do want to marry him - more than anything. Dammit, we should have eloped, gone to Vegas and gotten married by an Elvis impersonator like Xander suggested...”

“Geez,” Dawn rolled her eyes, “why do people bother getting married if it makes them this mental?”

“You begged me to be in the wedding party, Dawn.” Buffy shot a flinty glare at the teen in the mirror.

“Yeah, cause I never got to be a bridesmaid before. I hope I get to dance with that ultra-hot Adrian guy. He is so...” Dawn trailed off, thinking of the tall, brown-eyed, Italian hunk. She snapped out of her daze and continued, “And you are soooo lucky, Buffy! Spike is a total hottie too - His hotness goes off the scale!” Dawn said excitedly.

Buffy grinned, thinking about her future husband and the scorching hotness that was him. “Yep, he is a major babe.”

“That’s good, concentrate on stuff like that,” Willow said. “There’s no reason to be nervous. The wedding will be beautiful and trip-free, you’re marrying a really hot guy who loves you bunches, and this is what you want - you’re ready for this.”

Buffy breathed and nodded. “You’re right, Wills. I’m just having normal bride-type jitters... Everything will be great - fine. I just have to relax.”

“It wouldn’t hurt to think of the wedding night either,” Cordy added with a smile. “Think about all the naughtiness that will be going on - those warm tropical breezes and the romantic atmosphere.”

Buffy smiled. “That’s good, yeah. Wedding night...” She looked toward the door. “You think Spike’s nervous?”

“Nah,” Cordy said. “He’s probably cool as a cucumber. You know how he is.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The church was packed with family and friends. Large flower arrangements comprised of orchids, lilies and roses decorated the front of the church.

Spike, his best man Xander and the groomsmen, Oz and Adrian, came out of their dressing room. They all looked dapper in their black and gray tuxedos. Spike looked as handsome as ever in his tails. Xander had wanted top hats and canes (Spike still didn’t know if he was joking about that or not) but Spike insisted on keeping the tuxes simple. Black pants, tailcoats, gray vests, white shirts and black and gray striped cravats. Spike’s hair was slicked back in the style he wore when he was trying to look more sophisticated.

Spike stood at the front of the church waiting for the ceremony to begin. His stomach was twisted up in knots, his hands were shaking and sweating. He didn’t know why he was so nervous, he was sure this was what he wanted and it wasn’t like he wasn’t used to being in front of a crowd. When Buffy saw him, he didn’t want her to get the wrong impression - that he was having second thoughts, or that he was terrified at the thought of spending his life with her.

Spike adjusted his cufflinks and tugged on his sleeves.

“Take it easy, man,” Xander whispered. “Flop sweat ain’t attractive on a groom - or anyone.”

“I know!” Spike whispered more harshly than he intended. “I’m a bloody wreck here! Why am I so nervous?”

“It’s traditional,” Xander explained. “The girl glows with an incandescent, inner-light, while the guy gets the shakes and flop sweat. As soon as Buffy starts marching down that aisle, you’ll be ok, you’ll see.”

“God, I hope so...” Spike took a deep breath. He went over the things he’d be saying and doing in a few minutes. “You got the ring?” he asked Xander, just to reassure himself.

Xander grinned. “Yup. Right, here...” Xander patted his pocket, then patted it again, his face dropping and his eyes going wide.

Spike’s stomach flipped over.

“Oh shit!” Xander whispered, patting and re-patting his pockets. “It’s gone!”

“What?! What do you mean it's gone!?” Spike yelled, making the seated witnesses turn and stare.

“SHHH!” Xander hissed, then turned, smiling and chuckling at the crowd. “Everything’s alllllright, folks! Nothing to see here...go about your business.” He took Spike’s arm and turned them so that their backs were to the crowd. “Chill! I was joking! I got it in my other pocket, I was just trying to make a funny.”

Spike ground his teeth together. “I’m going to rip your bloody head off!” he whispered through clenched teeth. “What kind of bloody joke is that?!”

“Hey, it’s funny! I was trying to help loosen you up.”

“What’s wrong?” Oz joined the huddle, and Adrian stepped up too.

“Nothing,” Spike said, glaring at his best man. “Xander thought it’d be a hoot to make me think he lost the bloody ring.”

“Not cool,” Oz said, shaking his head in disapproval.

“Geez, did everybody forget to bring their funny bones today? My wedding toast is packed with rib-tickling, side-splitting jokes.”

“This is a wedding, you wanker! Not a bloody Friar’s Club Roast!”

“Alright, alright.” Xander patted Spike on the back. “Sorry, ok? You‘re laying the ‘bloodys‘ on pretty thick. Didn‘t mean to freak you out, buddy.”

Spike nodded. “Just don’t try inserting any more allegedly funny things into the ceremony, please.”

“Well, I was going to give you a wedgie as you were saying your vows, but I won’t. Just ‘cause you asked so nicely.”

“Told you, Spike. You should have made me best man,” Oz said.

“Yeah, remind me to listen to you more often, mate.” Spike sighed.

The string quartet they hired to provide the wedding music started playing the song they’d chosen for the Processional, ‘Morning has Broken’. Spike had talked Buffy out of ‘Wind Beneath My Wings’ - he got off easy with the Cat Stevens song.

“Oh, shit...” Spike whispered, his blue eyes wide with fear.

“You’ll be ok, man. Breathe in and out, in and out...” Xander said, straightening his cuffs.

Buffy’s 6-year-old cousin, Celia, started down the white-carpeted aisle to the “Awww”’s of the guests. She tossed red rose petals over the carpet, walking a little faster than they’d instructed her to. But she still did a good job.

Cordelia appeared next. Xander smiled proudly as his beautiful girlfriend strolled down the aisle. Buffy had taken pity on her girlfriends and let them pick out the style of dress and material. They’d chosen sleeveless, silk, lavender colored gowns with draped backs. Cordy worked the crowd, giving them a bright, Miss America-like smile.

Oz stood up straighter and winked at Willow when she started down the aisle. Usually, Willow didn’t put much effort into her appearance, she was pretty but didn’t stand out. But when she put some time and effort into it, she was beautiful.

Dawn came after Willow. The lanky 16-year-old looked pleased to be a part of everything. Her eyes swept over the guests then went to the dreamy Adrian. He was 6 feet 3 inches tall with shoulder length, wavy brown hair and big, brown, chocolate eyes that made her all melty. He looked uber-hot in the his tux - the other guys looked good too.

Giles took Buffy’s arm and looped it through his, smiling brilliantly at his future daughter-in-law.

“You look beautiful, Buffy.” Giles kissed her on the cheek. “I’m so happy for the two of you.”

“Thanks, Giles...or Dad?” She giggled nervously. “Should I call you Dad?”

“If you’d like. I wouldn’t mind a bit - since I’ve thought of you as a daughter for a long time anyway.”

“We’re up.” Buffy gulped.

“Don’t be nervous.” Giles patted her hand.

The aisle seemed to stretch for a million miles from Buffy's perspective.

‘I won’t trip - I won’t trip...Giles will keep me from falling even if I do - no worries.” Buffy repeated in her mind.

Buffy and Spike’s eyes met. They both had the same thought: ‘Wow!’

Buffy looked magnificent - so lovely that she literally took his breath away. Spike’s anxiety disappeared as he watched the woman he loved step ever closer to him. Suddenly, he was calm - he knew how right this was - this was the way things were meant to be. His lips curled into a relaxed smile.

Buffy almost lost her footing for a moment when she saw Spike - but she quickly recovered. He looked better, more gorgeous than he ever had before, so handsome and refined. She fought the urge to run the rest of the way to him and leap into his strong arms.

Giles grinned at the lovers’ reactions to seeing the other. They really did love each other deeply. Giles was still plagued with a nightmare or two of reliving that...that ‘scene’ in William’s bedroom. But he’d done a good job of repressing the traumatic memory - burying it as deep as possible in his mind.

Joyce wiped a stray tear from her cheek as she watched her little girl walking down the aisle. Buffy wasn’t her baby anymore, she might even become a mother herself sometime in the near future. Joyce was elated for her daughter and Spike, but she couldn’t help feeling a little sorry for herself. She’d be alone now. Everyone else had someone: Willow had Oz, Cordelia had Xander, and of course, Buffy had Spike. Joyce was an extra wheel - where was her hunk of burnin’ love? Didn’t she deserve some happiness? Didn’t she deserve a man who’d love her and be a stevedore in the sack too? Joyce smiled at her daughter and Rupert...he certainly was a handsome man. His son didn’t resemble him much, but good looks obviously ran in the family.

Giles and Buffy approached the altar. Buffy handed her bouquet to Willow to leave her hands free.

Reverend Harding, a young minister they hired to perform the ceremony, smiled. “Who gives this woman away?”

“I do,” Giles said, then turned and kissed Buffy on the cheek.

Giles smiled at his son and put Buffy’s hand in his. Then he nodded and went to take his seat next to Joyce in the front pew.

The soon-to-be-married couple gazed and smiled into each other’s eyes for a moment before turning to face the Reverend.

Reverend Harding began the ceremony. Buffy and Spike requested that the ceremony itself be as short as possible, as they didn’t relish the thought of being in the stuffy church any longer than necessary. They knew the guests would appreciate that, too. Since neither of them were particularly religious (or at all) they didn’t need a lot of ritual and Bible-talk.

After the Reverend had talked for a few minutes about the coming together of two souls and how blessed they were to have found love, it was time for Buffy and Spike's vows.

“Buffy will now read the vows she has prepared,” Reverend Harding said, gesturing to Buffy.

Buffy and Spike turned to face each other, holding the other’s hands. Buffy looked up at him with shiny eyes.

“Spike, I choose you as my partner in love and life. There could never be anyone else for me but you. I promise to care for you, share with you, to love you and grow with you for the rest of our lives. I love, cherish and respect you. I will be yours in good times and in bad. I’ll be by your side no matter what life throws our way.”

Buffy paused, trying to keep from crying before continuing. Spike squeezed her hands lightly, seeing that she was having trouble keeping it together. She smiled at him gratefully and continued, her voice wavering.

“I - I thought I’d lost you forever last year. The pain - the pain in my heart and soul was unbearable - part of me, a vital part of me was being torn away. But now, you’re here. Healthy and happy, standing with me, joining with me, pledging your love.” Buffy squeezed his hands. “That’s all that matters. I never want to be apart from you again. I love you more each and every day.”

Willow gave her Spike‘s ring.

“I give you this ring as a symbol of our union, a token of my love and faith.”

Buffy slipped the ring on his finger. They clasped hands, giddy that they’d almost made it all the way through without blubbering too much.

“William will now read the vows he’s written,” the Reverend said.

Spike took a deep breath and began, “Buffy, you are my beloved and my friend. You are my heart and my soul. I promise to love, cherish and respect you. I want for nothing more than to spend the rest of my life growing older with you. To spend my days loving you, laughing with you and sometimes crying with you. You are my lover, my accomplice, my teacher, my equal, my true counterpart. My life was empty before I met you. For the first time in my life, I’m looking forward to the future - because I know I’ll have you by my side every step of the way. I will be your partner, your lover and your friend for all the days of our lives. These vows that I have recited - they cannot attempt to convey how deeply - how very much I love you.”

Xander sniffled and handed the ring to Spike.

Buffy and Spike smiled and looked into each other’s watery eyes as he slipped the band of gold onto her finger.

“I give this ring and myself to you for eternity.”

Reverend Harding smiled. “By the authority vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss.”

Buffy threw her arms around his neck, Spike put his arms around her waist. They swooped in and began to kiss, to seal their union.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I present Mr. William Giles and Mrs. Buffy Summers-Giles.”

The gallery erupted in applause and whistles.

Joyce clapped, dabbing at a tear. Her little girl was now a married woman. And to the guy Joyce had molested in the kitchen over a year ago - it seemed like that had happened a long time ago...hopefully it would never be brought up again. Joyce was still embarrassed at her brazen behavior that night.

Buffy and Spike laughed against each other’s lips. They broke the kiss and hugged, whispering how much they loved the other - and how relieved they were that they hadn't gotten too choked up. Willow handed Buffy back her bouquet.

They joined hands and smiled, turning to face the well-wishers. The string quartet started playing the Recessional. The newly married couple walked quickly down the aisle, making their way to the front of the church. Once out of sight, Spike lifted her off her feet and hugged her tightly.

Buffy giggled. “We did it! I almost lost it there for a minute though.”

Spike set her back on her feet and gave her a quick kiss. “You did fine, pet. We’re really married.”

“Scared yet?” Buffy joked.

“Terrified.” Spike smirked.

They smiled and began kissing again.

“Whoa, don’t start the honeymoon already, kids!” Xander said, shielding his eyes and peeking between his fingers. “We still have the Reception to get through.”

They groaned, anxious to consummate the hell out this marriage. They reluctantly pulled away from each other’s lips. Xander led them into a side room to wait until the guests filed out of the church.

After the church was empty except for the wedding party, the photographer took several rolls of film of the happy couple and the wedding party. It was important to them to get the moment captured on film, but they really wanted to get on with the day. First the Reception, then they could leave to begin the Honeymoon good and proper. They hadn’t had sex in a week to make the night more special, as a result, they were going crazy with horniness and longing.

Finally, all the pictures were snapped and the wedding party ran down the stairs of the church. The guests threw handfuls of birdseed on them. Buffy and Spike laughed, ducking their heads and running down the stairs as swiftly as Buffy could manage in her long dress.

They made it to the safety of the limo, slamming the door and flopping down into one of the roomy seats.

“Shit, I think some of those people had it in for me!” Buffy laughed. “I got pelted pretty good.”

“Me too. Good way to release some pent up anger towards someone.” He brushed some birdseed out of her hair.

“Squeee!” Buffy jumped on his lap.

“Easy there, Mrs. Summers-Giles. Don’t damage the equipment before the wedding night.” Spike joked, putting an arm around her back and the other over her legs.

“Mmmm, wedding night...” Buffy kissed him lightly. “I’m - REALLY - looking forward to that...”

“Mmmm-hmmm.” Spike agreed, nibbling at her lips.

“We don’t - have to wait until tonight...I mean there’s no laws against it or anything...” Buffy mumbled. "In fact, the law encourages married couples to consummate their relationships."

“Are you suggesting that we shag right here in the limo?” Spike asked.

“Umm - yeah...” Buffy wiggled on his lap.

“Suits me.” Spike grinned, mashing their lips together.

He was just sticking his hand up under her dress when the door of the limo opened.

“Hey, you two! Save it for tonight!” Xander said, getting in and sitting down across from them.

Buffy slid off Spike’s lap, smoothing out her dress.

“Xander, what the bloody hell do you think you’re doing? Get out!” Spike glowered at him.

“I’m here to make sure you two don’t get too frisky - I was appointed by the others for the duty. You’ll never get to the Reception if you start with the lovin’.”

Buffy crossed her arms and glared at him.

Xander said in a southern accent (that was just as bad as his British one), "If you two are gonna get up to the Devil's bid-ness then you're gonna have an audience."

'Wouldn't be the first time I saw them...' Xander violently squashed the thought before it fully formed.

The newlyweds sat glowering at the cheerful-looking Xander all the way to The Bronze.