Aiden showed Buffy and Spike to their room first before bringing Dawn and Emma across the hall to theirs. It was decorated similarly to the temple itself, with a heavy use of white marble. Two beds were on the far side of the room. "Will the accommodations suit you?"

"Yeah. It's a really nice room," Emma said. She turned, finding herself only inches away from Aiden, and her face flamed. "Really nice."

Aiden gave her what could have been the beginnings of a smile. "I am glad. If you need anything tonight, my sleeping chamber is but two rooms down."

"Okay," Emma said, unable to form the words to say anything else.

Aiden nodded. "Sleep well." He left the room, shutting the door behind him.

"Oh my god, that man is seriously gorgeous," Dawn said after a moment. "And you know he's got some serious muscles under that bulky robe."

"Kinda makes you want to rip it off and lick 'em."

"Emma!" Dawn exclaimed, though she couldn't suppress a girlish giggle.

"What? The man is hot. Did you see his eyes? They're just…wow." Emma shook her head. "Did he really say he's been guarding the amulet for like a thousand years?"

"Over, I think," Dawn replied.

"Damn. He looks good for his age."

"He looks good for any age."

Emma cleared her throat. "So yeah, way hunky but way old guys aside, this apocalypse thing—pretty normal occurrence around the Summers household?"

"Oh yeah," Dawn replied. "Back in Sunnydale they used to happen every year around May. It was like, well, it's almost summer—must be time for an apocalypse."

"Really? That many?" Emma asked. "'Cause I was sorta under the impression that the apocalypse only started up once."

"One would think," Dawn replied. "Although I'd thought we'd gotten it out of the way for the year with the big battle Buffy and Spike fought in L.A." Dawn frowned. "Although, come to think of it, it seemed like Angel always got a big Maypocalypse, too, so maybe that was his and this one's ours."

"It's July," Emma pointed out.

"So it's a little late." Dawn went over to one of the beds, sitting down on the edge. Emma followed, sitting beside her.

"You look worried," Emma said.

"Well, yeah, we were just told someone's trying to end the world. Old hat or not, it's really not something I like to hear," Dawn replied.

"I know, but…" Emma looked at her for a moment. "You seemed to get extra wigged when Aiden started talking about that Key thing. And Buffy knows about it, so I guess it's something you've run into before. Is it something really bad?"

"Yes and no," Dawn replied. "It's…complicated. I can't really go into details right now, but the last time the Key was an issue, I almost died. So hearing that someone's trying to use the Key makes me a little jumpy. Glory was after it before, and she was relentless about it. And then there were these knights, and…" Dawn's eyes widened. "Oh god, what if the Knights of Byzantium come back?"

"The what of what? Emma asked, looking confused.

"They were knights who wanted to destroy the Key. They attacked us when Buffy wouldn't give it to them. It was bad," Dawn explained.

"Didn't Aiden say the Key couldn't be destroyed?

"I think so," Dawn replied. "But I don't really know… Something bad could still be done to it."

Emma frowned. "Done to it? Is the Key something that can be hurt?"

"I…I can't really talk about this," Dawn said. "It's not that I don't trust you, it's just with this situation, and…"

"You've only known me for two days, Dawn," Emma said. "You don't have to apologize for not telling me big secrets. If I were in your position, I wouldn't trust me either."

"Thanks, Em."

"We should probably both just get some rest," Emma said, standing up. "I'm tired, and I'm sure you are, too."

"And something tells me tomorrow is not going to be a stroll through the park," Dawn remarked.

"Guess it's time for me to prove I've got what it takes to be a Slayer," Emma muttered.

"Hey. You'll do fine," Dawn said.

"Or I'll be dead and then it wouldn't really matter anymore."

"Emma, don't…"

"It's okay, Dawn," Emma said, cutting her off. "I'm okay. Just tired. And a little shaken up from the whole being pulled into a demon dimension thing."

"Yeah, me, too," Dawn replied. "We should get some sleep." She gave Emma a mischievous grin. "Or you could take Aiden up on his almost-subtle offer and go down to see him."

Emma blanched. "What are you talking about?"

Dawn rolled her eyes. "Please. He said if you 'needed anything' to come down to his room. That's like universal code for 'if you want sex, come down to my room."

"He was just trying to be hospitable."

"While standing two inches away from you and giving you smoldering eyes? I don't think so."

"Okay, you can just have your crazy theories," Emma said. "I'm going to bed.

Dawn smirked. "Whatever you want to do, but you're passing up the chance to get it on with a major hottie."

"Sleeping. Now," Emma said, hurrying over to the bed.

Dawn kicked off her shoes and got under the covers of the bed. "Have sweet dreams of tall, gorgeous men with lickable muscles."

Dawn laughed as the only response she got was in the form of a thrown pillow landing over her face.

*** *** ***

Spike sat next to Buffy on the large bed in the room they'd been given for the night. "Feeling any better, kitten?" he asked softly.

"A little," Buffy replied. "My stomach's not as flippy. But I am really not looking forward to another apocalypse. We have how many active slayers now, and I'm still go-to girl for when someone wants the world not to end."

"It's 'cause you're too good at what you do," Spike said. "You need to throw a couple, let the world come to an end two or three times. They'll leave you alone after that."

Buffy nudged him gently. "Very funny."

Spike gave her a small smile before leaning in to kiss her. The kiss started out soft, but soon grew in passion until Spike had guided her down on to the bed his body pressing on top of hers. He finally broke away, panting for air. "Sorry, pet. Got a little carried away," he said, starting to get up.

Buffy wrapped her arms and legs around him, bringing him back down against her. "Stay. Want you."

"You don't feel well," Spike said. "You need your rest."

"Need you," Buffy replied. "I don't know what's going to happen when we leave here. Need to feel you now."

Spike kissed her again, knowing what she was feeling because he was feeling it, too. They undressed each other quickly, almost frantically, as the gravity of what they could be facing fueled their need. He slipped his hand between them, dipping his fingers inside of her and finding her ready for him already. He entered her quickly, knowing that she needed the closeness, the connection, as much as anything else.

"Spike," Buffy gasped, holding him tightly. "I love you. I love you so much."

"I love you too, Buffy," Spike replied, dropping his head to kiss her along the neck and shoulder. "Love you so much. Only you. Never…never want anyone but you."

"I know," Buffy said, her hands moving from his back to his hair and down again. "I know."

Neither of them spoke again as they made love, letting their bodies say the words instead. Buffy cried out as Spike moved his hips and found the spot inside of her that only he had ever touched. The tension inside of her spiraled higher and higher, and Spike moved faster, his hips meeting hers with a near-bruising force. Her body trembled lightly, and he turned his head, locking his eyes with hers.

Buffy's orgasm tore through her just as she felt the first bursts of him inside of her, and she knew they'd reached the peak together. Their eyes never moved away from each other as they rode out the tremors, pleasure engulfing them both.

Buffy cradled Spike against her for long, silent moments, still needing to feel him near her, even when the aftershocks had passed.

Spike stirred, kissing her neck. "Love you so much," he murmured against her skin.

"I love you, too."

As the chill in the air began to hit their cooling bodies, they moved, getting under the covers. Buffy rested against Spike's chest, a smile playing on her lips despite the circumstances they found themselves in. She knew if he was with her, they'd be all right. Dawn, their baby—they'd be safe. Spike was her strength, the one person she could count on, even when she had nothing else left.

"You know I'd never cheat on you, don't you Buffy?" Spike asked, breaking the silence in the room.

"I know," Buffy assured him.

"When I was sparring with her, I wasn't…"

Buffy propped herself on her elbow and pressed her finger to his lips. "I know, baby. I trust you. I really do. I just…seeing you with anything Slayer-like that…" She took a deep breath. "They're my issues. Don't worry about them."

Spike took hold of her hand and kissed it softly. "They're not just your issues, Buffy. Something affects you, then it affects me, too. This is a partnership we have here. No reason for you to hold anything in or try to fight it on your own. You just gotta let me in, pet. Gotta let me talk to you, know what's going on in that head of yours."

Buffy felt her eyes tear up as she rested back on his chest. "I know. I've just…never had that before. Never really had a partner. Not Riley and certainly not Angel. With both of them, there were always so many secrets, so much hidden. And they never really cared about what I felt, what I wanted. I think most of the time they didn't even care about me. It was never about who I am. It was always about who they wanted me to be. So having a man who loves me exactly the way I am and wants to be at my side instead of always trying to push me behind him? Kind of a new Buffy experience."

Spike pulled her closer to him. "Just as long as you know you're it for me, pet. I can give you time to get used to the fact that I'm the one who isn't going to leave."

"Not even if I tell you to and then punch you in the nose a lot," Buffy added.

Spike chuckled. "That's because you're bloody sexy when you throw a punch."

"You're such a perv," Buffy said, her eyes rolling.

"You know, you're always saying that, but then you’re my partner in perversion."

"That's because your perviness has rubbed off on me," Buffy replied.

"Probably because I rub against you so much." Spike said, running his hand down her hip.

"Behave," Buffy chastised, though she couldn't help the small giggle that escaped. It was times like this that she had to wonder why she had ever kept herself so closed to Spike. Even in light of what they faced once the storm passed, she felt at peace now, just being with him like this. She wondered how many trials in her life would've seemed easier if she'd let his love make her stronger.

But at the same time, she knew they may not have ended up where they were now if they'd taken a different route. They'd both made mistakes where their relationship was concerned, but they'd emerged with a love that was stronger than anything she'd known before. It was a love strengthened by time and trials. She pressed her hand against her stomach, knowing that soon they'd have tangible proof of that love, a baby to hold.

"We'll be all right, pet," Spike said, his hand moving up to rest in her hair. "We'll beat the baddies just like we always have in the past."

"I know," Buffy replied. "And I'm not letting anyone try to use the Key again. They're not laying a hand on her."

"No, they're not," Spike agreed. "I won't let someone hurt either of my girls."

Buffy warmed at the conviction in his voice. It meant so much to her that he was not only willing to fight for her, but for her sister as well. She pulled up slightly, running her hand along the side of his face. "You're a good man, William."

Spike pulled her up to him, crushing his mouth against her.

*** *** ***

Feedback is very important. I like to know what the readers are thinking about the story as I'm in the process of writing it so I can address anything confusing or general concerns on the readers' part. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've added something or clarified a part of a scene I already had written because of something left in a review. Your thoughts and opinions do matter to me, so please, leave a review!