Dawn pulled herself up groggily, looking around her. The sky was pitch black with swirling clouds of red energy, the ground beneath her feet dark sand. Wind whipped around her and she hugged herself tightly. "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore," she muttered.

"I don't think we're on Earth anymore," Emma replied, getting to her feet beside Dawn. "What is this place?"

"Looks like a demon dimension," Spike said from behind them. He gasped when he saw Buffy lying on the ground and ran to her, kneeling beside her prone body. "Buffy? Talk to me, sweetling, please…"

Buffy groaned, trying to pull herself up. "Baby doesn't like interdimensional travel. Oh, god…" She got up on her hands and knees, turning away from Spike as the contents of her stomach made their way back up. Spike moved quickly, taking hold of her hair and keeping it out of the way.

When her stomach had stopped convulsing, Buffy rose shakily to her feet, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. Spike put his arm around her, helping her stand. "Sorry," Buffy said. "That was really gross, I know."

Emma reached into her pocket and pulled out a stick of gum. "Here."

"Thanks," Buffy said, taking the gum with a small, grateful smile before unwrapping it and popping it in her mouth.

"So how exactly did we get from Dawn's apartment to here?" Emma asked. "That shouldn't even be possible…"

"Says the one person here who never lived on a Hellmouth," Dawn commented.

"Something must've brought us here," Spike said. "Question is what."

"I did."

The four of them turned towards the unfamiliar voice to see a man standing a few feet away. He was covered in robes, his face shadowed by a hood. Spike stepped forward, his eyes narrowed. "Care to tell me why you did that?"

"I require the services of the Slayer," the robe figure replied.

"Yeah, well, the Slayer ain't rental property," Spike said. "Send us back."

"I'm afraid I cannot. Were I to do so, it would put everyone at a very great risk."

Spike started to respond, but he stopped when he felt Buffy's hand on his arm. It was obvious she was still feeling the effects on the trip, and it made him want to hurt the man in the robe for doing this to her. But the look on her face at the moment was telling him to let her be in charge, and he took a step back.

"I'm the Slayer," Buffy said. "Who are you?"

"I am Aiden, Guardian of the Sacred Amulet of Theringal."

Buffy raised an eyebrow. "Okay…. So what exactly do you need from me Mr. Amulet-Guardian Guy, 'cause I have to tell you, you didn't exactly catch me at the most convenient time."

"And for that, I am sorry. I had wished for there to be another way; however, I was forced to act with haste. It is not safe for us to speak here. The storms will roll in soon. Please, accompany me to shelter, and I shall explain everything."

"Why should we trust you?" Spike asked. "You've already brought us into a demon dimension against our will."

"For that, I do apologize, but I did what I had to do in order to prevent what is coming," Aiden replied.

Buffy pulled on Spike's arm, getting him to turn towards her. "I think we should go with him," she said softly enough so only Spike could hear.

"It's not safe. With your condition and those girls with us…"

"I know." Even with the circumstances surrounding them at the moment, it clicked in Buffy's head that Spike had just linked Emma and Dawn together, and she didn't miss the implication there. "But we don't have a lot of choice. We can't stay out here, and there's not really a wide variety of places to go. We're going to have to take out chances with him."

"And what if we're walking into a trap?"

"Then we'll fight out way out, just like we always do."

Spike knew Buffy was right. He didn't like it, but what choice did they really have? The sky looked beyond ominous, and he really didn't want to be around to find out what the storms there were like. "Right then. So we follow the escapee from a bad 80's music video."

Buffy gave him a look. "Yeah." She cleared her throat, turning back towards Aiden. "All right. We'll go with you. But try anything to hurt me or any of these people with me, and I will kill you."

"I would expect no less," he replied before turning his back to them. "Follow me."

The small group exchanged glances before they started to walk after him. Aiden had gone only a few paces before he stopped, waving his hand over the ground in front of him. A patch of sand swirled for a moment before disappearing, revealing a long staircase going down into the ground. "The entrance to the Temple of Theringal is guarded. That is why I could not bring you directly there." He stepped down on to the stairs, leaving the others to follow.

The stairway was dimly lit, and Buffy held on to Spike as they made their way down, trusting his eyesight more than her own. She was still feeling woozy from the trip there, and the last thing she needed was to take a tumble down the stairs.

Spike was aware of Buffy's small hand on him, and he stepped slowly, letting her use him as a guide. He knew the other two were behind them, but they were keeping a few steps back, giving Buffy some room, and he was grateful for that. Buffy was having a hard enough time just being pregnant without this, too. She needed to be home where she could rest.

When they got to the end of the stairs, they were in a long corridor, lit by torches on the wall. Aiden continued to lead them, his pace quick. Buffy started to walk, but felt a wave of dizziness hit her after only a few steps. Without a word, Spike picked her up, cradling her against him as they went. Part of her wanted to rebel against being carried like a child, but it felt too nice pressed against his warm body to complain.

The corridor eventually ended in a large cavern that Buffy assumed was the temple Aiden had referred to. It was decorated with white marble columns and statues, a raised marble dais in the center.

"Pretty fancy place for a hole in the ground," Spike whispered to Buffy before kissing her forehead and putting her back on her feet.

Aiden stopped and turned around, pushing off his hood. Buffy's eyes widened at the sight of his chiseled features, long, thick black hair, and dark blue eyes. He was certainly better looking than she had expected, and when she looked back to see the two girls gaping, she guessed the same could be said for them.

"This is the Temple of Theringal," Aiden said. "It has been my home for over a millennium as I have guarded the sacred amulet."

"Not another bloody amulet," Spike muttered, earning him an elbow in the ribs from Buffy.

"I was able to fulfill my duties as Guardian until recently, when the temple was attacked by the armies of Chalchicomehuel," Aiden continued. "How they were able to breech the temple's defenses, I am still unsure of, but with their surprise attack, they were able to overpower me and seize the amulet."

"And I'm going to guess that that's not the sort of thing that leads to hugs and puppies," Buffy said.

"The amulet is an object of great power," Aiden said. "Whether that power comes from darkness or light depends on the wearer."

"And let me guess, 'cause I think I know this one," Buffy said. "It's fallen into the hands of great evil, hell-bent on making the world go ka-boom?"

"In a manner of speaking," Aiden replied. "Chalchicomehuel plans to utilize the power of the amulet to allow his armies to invade your world, claiming it as his own. From there, he plans to mount an offensive against the Higher Realms themselves."

"The amulet is that powerful?" Buffy asked.

"It can be," Aiden replied. "Although from the information I have been able to gather, I believe that Chalchicomehuel plans to augment it with something called 'the Key.'"

Dawn's gasp was audible in the large chamber, but Buffy spoke quickly. "Do you have any idea where this Key is?"

"No, only that Chalchicomehuel plans to use it. I am not even sure if it is in his possession yet."

"Do…do you know how he plans to use it?" Dawn asked, taking a couple of steps forward.

"To my knowledge, the Key coupled with the amulet would allow him to punch a hole through the fabric of reality large enough to allow his armies to travel first to your world and then on into the Higher Realms."

"So what do you want to do about the Key?" Dawn asked.

"If it has not fallen into Chalchicomehuel's hands, I wish to locate it."

"And then what?" Dawn's voice fell. "Would you destroy it?"

"No. To attempt to destroy something that powerful would only be foolish. The Key must be guarded, kept safely away from Chalchicomehuel."

Dawn breathed a sigh of relief at that. He didn't want to kill her. Unless, of course, he knew already that she was the Key and he was only trying to lull her into a false sense of security. She moved closer to Spike.

"So why did you bring us here exactly?" Buffy asked. "I mean, I'm guessing it has something to do with this Chachi guy, but I like to have specifics."

"For two reasons," Aiden replied. "Although to be honest, I only meant to bring the Slayer. It is difficult to be exact with interdimensional travel."

"That's nice," Buffy said, her expression belying her impatience. "Reasons?"

"Well, I have heard that you battled the vile hellspawn Glorificus in your own dimension, and in the stories of this battle, the Key is mentioned. I thought you may be of some help where it is concerned."

"The Key is safe. I'm not telling you any more than that," Buffy said tersely. "Second reason? 'Cause you said you had two."

"I require the assistance of a great warrior, a Champion. Your deeds are legendary. It is not often that a vampire Slayer survives long enough for her name to even be known, but yours—it is not only known but spoken with reverence by those on our side and with fear by those who are not."

Buffy couldn't help but puff up a little at that. "Really?"

"Yes. I am honored to be in your presence."

Buffy tugged on Spike's arm. "You hear that, honey? Being in my presence is an honor."

"I could've told you that, luv," Spike replied with a wink.

Buffy turned back to Aiden. "So, this evil guy with a name I'm not even gonna try to say is going to bring about yet another apocalypse, and you need me to help you kick his ass? Is that the deal?"

"Yes," Aiden replied. "I was going to ask your assistance in locating the Key, but you can assure me it is safe and out of Chalchicomehuel's hands?"

"It is," Buffy said.

"I don't suppose you'd be willing to tell me where it is."

"Can't," Buffy replied. "I don't trust you enough for that."

"I understand. You have just met me, and the Key is something that requires much safekeeping. It would be unwise to reveal its location to a stranger. Though as far as trusting me is concerned, I can tell you that I am incapable of saying anything that is not truth."

"I knew a bloke like that once," Spike said. "Went by the name of Drogyn. Didn't care much for questions."

"He is my cousin. And yes, he has always resented that aspect of our job. He was unaware of that stipulation when he accepted his guardianship and, well, there have been…incidents."

Spike's expression clouded over. "You haven't heard have you?"

"Heard what?"

"Drogyn died. Couple months back."

Aiden paled. "I didn't… News is slow to reach here. How?"

Spike debated how much to tell Aiden. He didn't necessarily feel the need to protect Angel, but he wasn't sure this was quite the time or place for a detailed account. "Got caught up in some mess with the Circle of the Black Thorn. They killed him." Spike let out a deep breath. "I tried to protect him, but I guess it wasn't enough."

"If you tried at all to protect my cousin from an enemy such as the Circle, then you have my respect and gratitude. And while the news you have brought of Drogyn's passing saddens me greatly, I haven't the time to mourn properly now. There is much at stake and very little time to act."

"So what's the plan then?" Buffy asked. "'Cause if there's an apocalypse, I'd just as soon get it over with so I can go home."

"We need to retrieve the amulet, though we cannot travel with the storm raging. It is three days' journey to Chalchicomehuel's stronghold, and from there we will need to enter and locate where he is keeping the amulet. The window of time he has to execute his plan is small, and if we can recover the amulet and prevent him from gaining access to the Key, then he should not be successful."

"How come I'm doubting it's gonna be as easy as you just made it sound?" Spike asked.

"I'm sorry if I made it sound easy," Aiden replied. "It shall not be. While most of Chalchicomehuel's forces are stationed beyond his stronghold, it will still be heavily guarded. We will have to fight our way in. As I stated earlier, I meant only to bring the Slayer. If any of the rest of you are unprepared for combat, then it will be best if you stay behind."

"Would they be protected here?" Buffy asked.

"In the past, I would have said yes, but I can no longer offer such a guarantee," Aiden replied. "Not after Chalchicomehuel has already breeched the temple once."

Buffy felt torn. On the one hand, if this guy was after the Key, she should keep Dawn far away from him. But on the other hand, it wouldn't be any safer to leave Dawn somewhere where she couldn't protect her. "They stay with me," Buffy said. She gestured to each person as she spoke their name. "Spike is a Champion in his own right. Dawn has proven herself in battle already. And Emma, she's a Slayer—like me."

Aiden blinked. "I was under the impression that there could be only one Slayer at any given time."

"You weren't kidding when you said news traveled slow around here," Buffy said. "That rule sorta got tossed. Not that certain people felt like abiding by it in the first place, but hey…"

"So I have the help of two Slayers then?" Aiden asked.

"I don't have anywhere near Buffy's experience," Emma said. "I'm new to the whole Slayer thing. But I'll…do what I can."

Aiden looked at her, his dark blue eyes locking with her large brown ones. "I have no doubt that you will live up to the title that has been bestowed upon you."

Emma swallowed, his intense gaze seeming to pull her in. "Thanks."

"You said we can't travel until the storm passes," Spike said, pulling Aiden's attention back to him and Buffy. "Is that going to be a while?"

"Several hours, I'm sure," Aiden replied. "These storms are rather unpredictable, and when they show up, they don't leave quickly. My advice would be for all of you to rest. There are rooms, behind the temple, where you can sleep."

Buffy found herself trusting Aiden more than she normally would a virtual stranger. Not that he had her trust completely, but she wasn't sensing anything particularly off about him, and Spike seemed to be warming up to him since they'd had the brief conversation regarding Drogyn. "Okay. But don't try to split us up completely," Buffy said

"I have two rooms, across the hall from each other. One with two beds for the young women and another for you and…Spike, was it? Unless I am wrong in my assumption that he is your companion."

"You're not wrong there," Buffy said, lacing her fingers with Spike's. "And that will be fine."

"Follow me then," Aiden said, leading them out of the main room of the temple.

*** *** ***

Yes, it's taken a sudden turn. But I did mention an apocalypse in the summary… Hope you're all still interested in reading. Leave a review and let me know!