"Geez, Spike, you look horrible. And you have…luggage?"

Spike stood in the hallway outside Dawn's apartment, his shoulders drooping. "Your sister asked me to leave."

"Oh my god! Spike, I…wow."

"I know there are guest apartments where I could stay, and I really shouldn't be asking you this but…"

"You don't want to be alone and want to know if you can crash here?" Dawn guessed.

"Yeah, pretty much."

"Of course!" Dawn stepped back. "Come in. Are you hungry? Emma and I were just eating pizza."

Spike paused when he saw Emma sitting on Dawn's living room floor. "I didn't know you were here," he said.

"Dawn and I were having dinner," Emma replied. "But I could leave if…"

"No, don't do that," Spike said. "You're eating and all..."

"Okay." Emma's eyes widened as she noticed he was carrying a large bag. "Did Buffy kick you out?"

"Yeah," he replied simply.

"Spike, I'm so sorry," Emma said quickly. "This is all my fault."

"No, pet, it isn't," Spike assured her.

Dawn stepped up to Spike's side. "Wait, why is this all Emma's fault?" she asked.

"It isn't," Spike replied quickly.

"Yes, it is," Emma insisted.

"Okay, why does Emma think it's all her fault?" Dawn amended.

"Because Buffy's gotten it into her head that she needs to be jealous where Emma's concerned," Spike replied with a heavy sigh. "She thinks…well, honestly I don't know what the hell she thinks right now, but it's not good. Or anywhere in the neighborhood or accurate."

"It'll be okay," Dawn said softly, resting her hand against Spike's arm. "Buffy loves you. She'll cool down and want you to come back. It's probably just the baby making her nuts anyway. I mean, Buffy's crazy enough without extra wacky-making hormones."

Spike was startled. "You know she's pregnant?"

"Saw the box for the test in the garbage right before we left Rome. Besides, you two suddenly insisting I have my own place when you're living in a three bedroom apartment? Please, it's so obvious you're making room for baby…"

"Weren't really trying to keep it from you, bit," Spike said. "Buffy just wanted to get more settled in here before she made the announcement."

"I figured. But anyway, come in. Have some pizza."

"Yeah, all right. And get me one of those beers you have in the back of the fridge, will you, nibblet?"

"I don't…" Dawn stopped, her arms crossed in front of her chest defiantly. "I'm old enough to drink in this country, you know."

"Yeah, and I'm not getting on your case about it. Just need a drink is all." Spike walked past Dawn, dropping his bag on the couch before sitting on the floor with Emma. Dawn rolled her eyes and walked into the kitchen.

Spike watched for a moment as Emma picked at the toppings on her pizza. "This really isn't your fault, you know," he said softly.

"You don't have to be nice to me," Emma replied. "Your fiancée kicked you out. It's okay to hate me."

"Emma, you haven't done anything wrong."

"I'm sure I have somewhere. Hell, my own mother hated me because of the way my step-father looked at me." She paused to glance up at him before adding quickly, "Not that you look at me any way, just…" Emma sighed, looking down at the pizza again. "I know I'm pretty. Not being vain about it, I just know. Women get upset if I'm around their men. I should've just stayed away from you, and then Buffy wouldn't have had a reason to get jealous."

"Em, Buffy doesn't need a reason to get cranky," Dawn said as she walked into the living room, sitting next to Spike and handing him his beer. "Reason's got nothing to do with it. She'll come around. If anything, she'll start missing the wild, kinky sex."

"Dawn!" Spike exclaimed, after fighting to keep from spitting his beer all over the carpet.

"What?" Dawn replied. "I heard the two of you in Rome. All sorts of noises coming from that bedroom at all hours. It was like someone left the Playboy channel on in there." Dawn giggled, gesturing towards Spike. "He's so adorable when he gets embarrassed. He turns all pink."

"You're evil," Spike said. "You do know that, right?"

Dawn leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "I learned from the best, Big Bad."

"So Buffy won't stay mad?" Emma asked.

"Nope. She'll be taking him back in no time," Dawn replied. "Besides, it's really not you. Probably just her Faith complex acting up again."

"Her what?" Emma asked.

"Her fear of another Slayer trying to move in and take over her life—again." Dawn explained.

"Oh," Emma said. "So you mean Faith as in Faith Lehane?"

Dawn nodded. "Yep. She and Buffy don't have the best past together."

"That reminds me," Spike said, standing up. "I need to call her."

"Faith?" Dawn asked. "Why do you need to call her?"

"Need to see if I can get her to take over patrol duties for me tonight. I could probably use a fight, but I'm not too up for Slayer-sitting."

"Phone's on my bed," Dawn told him.

"Thanks, nib." Spike went into the bedroom, leaving the girls alone again.

"You weren't just saying they'll be okay for Spike's sake, were you?" Emma asked.

"Nope," Dawn replied, opening the pizza box between them and pulling out a slice. "Buffy and Spike, they've got the big Love. Meant to be and all that." She bit into the pizza.

Emma relaxed a little, hoping what Dawn was saying was true. She hadn't known Spike very long, but she liked him. She'd hate it if she caused a permanent rift between him and woman he loved—especially when that woman was carrying his child. The last thing Emma needed in her life was more guilt.

"Hey, would you be terribly offended if I went in there and talked to him alone for a few minutes?" Dawn asked. "I don't plan on badmouthing you or anything like that, it's just…"

"No, it's fine," Emma replied. "You guys can't talk freely about this with me here. I get that. I'll just go over there and turn on the TV."

Dawn smiled. "Thanks." She hopped up, going into the bedroom and closing the door behind her. She plopped down on the bed, and when Spike hung up from his conversation with Faith, she said, "Okay, what's up?"

"With Buffy?" Spike asked.

Dawn rolled her eyes. "Well, yeah. 'Cause you and Buffy have been back together barely over a month and she's already kicking you out?"

Spike sighed, sitting beside Dawn. "I told you, she's jealous of Emma, which makes all of no sense."

"Sure it does," Dawn said with a shrug. "Buffy's got a jealous streak a mile wide."

"Not with me she doesn't," Spike muttered.

"Oh, please. You should've heard her that time she came down to the basement and found Faith on your bed. She ranted forever about that."

Spike looked at her, startled. "Really?"

"Yeah, really. So seeing another woman—another Slayer—with you? Not saying she's right, 'cause the idea of you cheating on Buffy is just so ridiculous it's laughable, but, well, recipe for jealousy there."

"Yeah, I guess. Although anything I feel towards Emma is very far from what Buffy's thinking." Spike lowered his voice, aware that Emma was still in the apartment, albeit on the other side of a closed door. "I feel sorry for her. I saw her in that room, with that roommate she had, and I don't know... She looked…trapped. And something in her eyes… She tries to hide it, but I know that look. She's…"

"Haunted," Dawn said.

"Yeah. You've caught it, too?"

Dawn nodded. "She seems really sad."

Spike sighed. "I wasn't trying to hurt Buffy. And I tried to reassure her. I thought we'd resolved it last night. I told her there was nothing going on between Emma and me, and she seemed like she accepted that, but then today… Buffy has to know she's the center of my world. Bloody hell, I died for the woman. But I can't…" Spike turned away from Dawn's eyes. "I don't know what I'd do if she went back to treatin' me like she used to. Never trusting me, makin' demands that everything be her way all the time. We were supposed to be past that. I can only do so much. I want to make her happy, but when she's back to flyin' off the handle with me and never wantin' to talk about anything…"

Dawn rested her hand against Spike's leg. "She won't get like that again. She loves you. You're going to get married and have a baby together. She'll get over all this with Emma soon enough."

"God, I hope so. Fighting with Buffy like this—it's just too much for me to handle right now. Bloody nerve-wracking." Spike took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Didn't want to hurt Buffy. Emma was real down, talking like she could never be much of a Slayer. So I told her I'd train her a little, tryin' to get her spirits up. If I'd know Buffy was going to get this upset about it… But that, with Emma, that wasn't about Buffy. It was about tryin' to show someone that she's worth something. I know how Emma feels, all out of place. Like she doesn't belong. I can't just sit idly by and watch someone go through that."

"Did you explain that to Buffy?" Dawn asked.

"She never gave me the chance," Spike said, shaking his head. "I was too mad to try to have a rational conversation with her after she flipped on Emma, and then when I came home, she was packing me a bag."

"Give her time. She'll come around, listen to your side of things," Dawn said.

Spike arched an eyebrow. "Have you met Buffy?" He held his arm out to the side. "'Bout yay high, blonde hair, hits like a Mack truck?"

Dawn smirked. "Yeah, I know. But she isn't going to let herself lose you, Spike. Not again."

"I need her, bit. Love her so much…"

"I know. And she needs you, too. Just wait for her to calm down some, and you two can talk."

"I figure things would probably be okay if I agreed to stay away from Emma, and I will if it's the only option, but I do like the girl. She's been nice to talk to. Most of the mini-Slayers stare at me like I'm a bleedin' curiosity. Nice to have one of them around that doesn't."

"They talk about you," Dawn told him. "Call you Mr. Hottie."

"I've heard," Spike replied, sounding less-than-thrilled. "It's usually punctuated by high-pitched giggles."

Dawn patted his arm. "Cheer up. Buffy will come around. Maybe she could talk to Emma, see that there's no threat there. Might make her relax about everything."

"Except every time she's in a room with Emma, she goes off on the poor girl. If that's how it's going to go, then it's probably best to leave them separated. I love Buffy, but watching her treat someone like that… Been on the receiving end too many times."

"Well, you're welcome to stay here as long as you want. My couch is quite comfy. But something tells me Buffy will be wanting to work things out soon. She'll miss you. Probably does already if she's through being all pouty."

"Hope so, bit."

Dawn stood. "You wanna go watch a movie? Take your mind off things for a while?"

"As long as it's not some Hollywood drivel starring Heartthrob-of-the-Month."

"This coming from the man who watched Passions and Dawson's Creek." At Spike's glare, Dawn chuckled. "Fine. Movie choice for the night goes to you."

*** *** ***

Buffy couldn't sleep. She'd gone to bed early, hoping with a little extra rest, she could feel more like herself. But all she could do was lay awake, her eyes refusing to stay closed. The bed was too big, too cold, for her to get comfortable.

Buffy sighed, facing up to the truth. She needed Spike.

She sat up, placing her hand against her belly. "Okay, sprout. Time for Mommy to go get your daddy back."

Buffy dressed and made her way out of the apartment. She knew without a doubt where Spike was. He easily could have gone to any one of the empty apartments on this floor, but she didn't think for a second that he had. That would be too much like moving out. No, he'd go some place where he wouldn't question his welcome, but at the same time, he'd know everything was just temporary.

Which led her directly to her sister's door.

"You do realize you're a total bitch, don't you," Dawn said as soon as she opened the door, scowling at Buffy.

Buffy nodded. "Coming to that conclusion myself."

Dawn stepped out into the hallway with Buffy, shutting the door behind her. "Spike's here, but I don't want you wigging, because so is Emma."

Buffy didn't want to wig either. And rationally, she knew there wasn't a reason to. She knew that Dawn and Emma had been hanging out, and if Emma was there, it was most likely because of Dawn, not Spike. But something about thinking about Spike and that other Slayer made "rational" go right out the window. After all, shouldn't Emma be Spike's type? She looked like she should be…

"Okay, before you start with the 'Slayer smash,' listen to me," Dawn said. "Emma was here when Spike got here. When she found out you had Spike leave because he'd been spending time with her, she was really, really upset. Worried that you wouldn't take him back. Not exactly the behavior of a homewrecker waiting to make her move."

"Maybe she was acting."

"Buffy, I've been hanging out with her for two days now, and not once has she pumped me for information about Spike. She knows I know him. If she was interested in him, she'd be asking about him. She hasn't been." Dawn paused to meet her sister's eyes. "I've been watching them all night. He acts the same way with her that he does with me."

Buffy sighed, slumping a little. "Ugh. I don't know what's gotten into me, turning me into mega-bitch Buffy. Looking back on it, throwing him out was definitely a little extreme."

"Just blame it on all the crazy pregnancy hormones," Dawn said with a shrug. "It's like a nine-month get out of jail free card."

Buffy's eyes widened. "You know? Did Spike tell you?"

"I figured it out on my own, Buffy. I'm not a total doof." Dawn stepped forward and hugged her sister. "Congratulations. Now go say you're sorry."

"Can I just claim pregnancy amnesia?" Buffy asked as she pulled away.

"Does that exist?" Dawn asked.

"I have no idea. But I bet he doesn't either. Or demonic possession. I'll tell him I was possessed by a psychotic jealousy demon."

Dawn arched her eyebrow, her hands firmly planted on her hips. "Or you could go in there and apologize to both of them."

"Yeah, I guess that would be the best thing to do. Although jealousy demon…"

"Buffy…"

"Yeah, yeah I'm going," Buffy grumbled, walking into the apartment with Dawn following close behind.

Emma and Spike were watching television in the living room, Spike on the couch and Emma stretched out on the floor, her chin resting in her hands. They both jumped up when they saw Buffy, and Emma immediately began to speak. "We weren't…we just…I swear, it's nothing. Don't be mad at him, 'cause…"

"I know," Buffy said, stopping the other Slayer's nervous rambling. "I've been acting like a real crazy person these past couple of days, and I'm sorry. Emma, you must think I'm the biggest bitch in the world."

Emma shrugged, Buffy's apology causing her to relax. "Not really. You saw a threat and you wanted to protect your own. I get that."

Buffy gave her a small smile. "Thanks for being so understanding," she said. "I probably don't really deserve it, the way I treated you. And I was wrong there. Very, very wrong."

"Excuse me a minute," Spike said. "I have to go call Hell and ask them if the need some skis."

Buffy gave him a dirty look. "Ha ha."

Spike moved closer to her. "You throwin' me out, like that—just decidin' the way things were gonna be without talking to me first, the way you used to? That really hurt, Buffy," he said softly, the joking tone gone form his voice.

"I know. And I'm so sorry, Spike. If you're not ready to come home, I'll…"

Before she could finish, Spike pulled her to him, silencing her with a kiss. "Don't wanna fight with you, kitten. Want things to be okay with us."

Buffy sighed happily, feeling the tension draining from her now that she was back where she belonged. "So you'll come back home then? I can't sleep without you…"

"All you had to do was ask."

"See. I told you you didn't have to try to blame it on a jealousy demon," Dawn said, approaching the blond couple.

Buffy glared at her sister. "Shut up, you."

Suddenly, there was a loud crash and a flash of bright light, and the four occupants of the room were gone.

*** *** ***

Yep, there I go with one of those cliffhangers again. Betcha didn't see that one coming, did ya? Please keep the death threats down to a minimum.

The reviews from the last chapter were such a treat to read. I never expected so many people to get that involved as to take sides! I loved seeing people explaining why they were siding with Spike or Buffy. It was also extremely helpful in writing this chapter, since when I originally thought I had finished it, it came up a little short, and I was trying to figure out what was missing. But after reading the reviews, and seeing how people were interpreting certain things, I realized exactly what I needed to add. So see, reviews are important!

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a fic currently in progress entitled "After Death" that is a companion piece to "Daylight," told from Angel's point of view. If you're interested, it can be found here: http://adultfan.nexcess.net/aff/story.php?no=544193968