Revelations

“How did I know that? Giles reads the books.” Buffy scrunched up her nose. Nevertheless, the name still sounded familiar, like she already knew him. That wasn’t possible, no way could she already know a vamp – Slayer’s didn’t know vamps. “Giles?”
“Hm?” Giles asked distractedly.
“How did I know that? More importantly, why do I know about his girlfriend, Dru and the fact that she is completely crazy? This is seriously wiggy. I know that he gambles with kittens, and that is just… ew. He’s in the factory. I know that he and Angel have–” “Oh my God, Angel. Angel.”
Noticing her unease Giles intervened, “Right, you clearly know plenty of things about him that you really couldn’t know. The books can not tell where his lair is, and you seem confident in that fact. Really, there is something more here, something deeper.”
“Something more, definitely,” Buffy agreed.
“I think it would be best if you attempted to stay away from this Spike. We don’t know what effect your knowledge of him might have, and we can’t take any chances. We cannot allow him to retrieve the Gem of Amara,” Giles said.
“No gems for Spikey, got it,” Buffy blurted out. “Ok that was weird to say, but it just came out…Spikey?”
“I’m hoping that the term for him is connected to your extensive knowledge of him. In either case, this information might serve useful in killing him, but until we know for sure–”
“I know, stay away from blond, blue-eyed vampires,” Buffy finished.
Giles was about to say something when Willow, Xander, Cordy and Oz entered the library. Their rather animated conversation came to a screeching halt when the noticed the serious look on Giles’ face. The quietly took seats on the couch and waited for the explanation that was sure to follow.
“New vamp, likes people to think of him as the ‘Big Bad’. Wants a gem, but I need to stay away from him, because I know way too much about him, much wigginess,” Buffy quickly explained.
“You slay vampires, right? So why then stay away from a big, bad one?” Cordy offered.
“Because,” Giles began, “We don’t know where this knowledge is coming from, and it might be used to her disadvantage in a fight.”
A look of recognition washed across the Scoobies.
“Willow, I want you to do – whatever it is you do on that thing,” Giles pointed to the computer, “And find out anything you can about Spike and his ties to Buffy. For that matter, look into spells involving memory transfer.”
“Right, well, I should go patrol while you guys look for Spike info. I know Giles, I won’t seek him out, but I can’t just let the other baddies run free,” Buffy said.
Before Giles or anyone could protest, Buffy was out the door. Buffy sighed heavily and shook her head. Giles had seemed worried about her knowledge, but she didn’t understand why. Knowing your enemy was a good thing, know the enemy, Slayer rule number – something. Now that the thoughts or memories of Spike were in her head, she couldn’t seem to push them out, no matter how she tried. Algebra, she would think about Algebra. That topic always managed to kill her Slayer mood, and effectively push out all other thoughts.

Buffy entered the cemetery and found it to be a bit too lively for her taste. There were half a dozen vamps corralling their dinner. Buffy walked over to the group and waited patiently for one of them to register her presence. After a few seconds, she grew impatient. She cleared her throat and grinned when one of the vamps turned around to see who had disrupted their meal.
“Slayer,” the vampire spat.
“Took you long enough. Let them go,” Buffy said as she nodded towards the girls.
“That’s my dinner, I don’t see me just letting it go,” the vampire answered.
“Then I guess I’ll just have to make you,” Buffy answered. She quickly withdrew her stake and ran it through the vampire’s chest. “Anyone else?”
To her delight, another two vampires approached her; trying to use numbers to intimidate her. Buffy kicked the closest vampire in the chest and sent him flying into a nearby tombstone. The second vampire managed to tackle Buffy only to dust seconds later; Mr. Pointy effectively resting upright on Buffy’s chest. Buffy stood up and looked around for the remaining vampires. None. Just as she was about to dash after them, something registered on her radar. Spike.
“Slayer,” Spike drawled.
Buffy turned and faced him, immediate recognition clearly etched on her face, “William.”
“I see you’ve heard of me,” Spike answered, an amused smile crossing his lips to hide his utter shock.
“God, he’s arrogant.” Buffy smirked at the vampire, confused as to why he was so much of a badass.
“Speechless, I have to admit, Slayer, s’not quite the reaction I was expecting,” Spike taunted.
“I don’t know what exactly to say about your little welcoming party. I mean, pathetic, useless and pitiful are the first words that come to mind. Seriously, Spike, next time just hang a sign that says, ‘Slayer, the Big Bad is here!’” Buffy retorted.
“See, here’s the thing. I needed to get you to come to a specific cemetery, this cemetery, so that I could kill you before you become a bloody pain in my side. Sadly, good help is hard to come by,” Spike answered. He tried his best to not look affected by the Slayer’s apparent familiarity with him. Her scent showed no signs of fear, nothing. She was nonplused by his presence.
“Pity,” Buffy answered casually. She idly twirled Mr. Pointy. “You could make this really easy and just leave town, you know.”
“See luv, I’d love to, but on second thought, nah, I won’t be leaving with out what I came here for,” Spike said. Now he was getting irritated. Who did this bint think she was, telling him to skip town like a scolded dog?
“That doesn’t work for me. I can’t let you have it,” Buffy said.
“Didn’t expect you to hand it over to me, pet. That’s why I’m going to drain your blood first,” Spike answered. Tired of their banter, he slipped into game face. “Let’s dance, Slayer.”
“This is bad, very bad.” She wasn’t supposed to be anywhere near Spike, let alone fighting him. He had found her, she hadn’t gone looking for him, and with an invitation like that, what choice did she have? Buffy shrugged her shoulders and punched Spike in the nose.
Spike shook the hit off. Finally he’d get his dance with the Slayer. While Spike was lost to his thoughts, Buffy took advantage of the situation and kicked him in the gut, causing Spike to loose his balance and fall to the ground.
“Bloody hell, Slayer,” Spike said as he stood up.
“You didn’t think killing me would be easy, did you?” Buffy taunted. She punched him in the nose again, causing him to utter a curse under his breath, “Obviously you did.”
“Won’t make that mistake twice,” Spike muttered.
“You won’t live long enough to,” Buffy said. She held her stake tightly and kicked him into a tree. Just as she was about to end his un-life, Spike snapped out of his daze and kicked her legs out from under her, watching in delight as she fell to the ground, her stake landing a few feet away from her.
“You know, luv, you’ll be my third Slayer. I had hoped you’d put up more of a fight, but this will just have to do,” Spike said. He smiled at how her scent changed. It was dripping with fear. “Now this is more like it.” He moved his face to her neck and opened his mouth, just inches away from her throbbing vein.
“I’m going to die, again. Buffy laid there under Spike waiting for the deadly bite. Her body wouldn’t allow her to move. “He can’t kill me.” Pulling herself together, Buffy reached her hand out in search of her stake.
Spike noticed her movement and quickly pinned her offending hand above her head, “Sorry luv, but I can’t let you do that.”
Buffy shot her head up quickly and effectively moved out from under him as he nursed his head. The down side was that Mr. Pointy was closer to Spike than to her. To her dismay, Spike picked it up and threw it halfway across the cemetery. Sensing that she was out of options, and a little unnerved from being so close to death again, she dashed out of the cemetery.
Spike chuckled as he watched the Slayer run out of the cemetery.

“It was way close, much closeness,” Buffy said to Willow.
“But, you’re ok, right Buffy?” Willow asked. She was very concerned about Buffy. The last time she’d seen her friend this upset and pale was right after the Master killed her.
Buffy closed her eyes. An image of the Master leering at her throat right before he began to drain her flashed through her minds-eye. Shaking away the image, she opened her eyes to meet Willow’s worried ones. “Ok, that’s me. I mean, he’s just another vamp.”
Willow nodded. She knew Buffy was far from ok, but she knew her friend well enough to not push the issue. Buffy would be fine, she always was, and always would be.
“How are my two favorite girls today?” Xander said as he draped his arms around the girls’ shoulders.
Buffy smiled up at him, “Hello, Xander.”
“Hey,” he replied as he removed his arms.
“Spike found Buffy last night,” Willow said.
“So, is the nasty no more?” Xander asked.
Buffy sighed.
“I’ll assume that means a big N.O.,” Xander said.
Buffy smiled. Her friends always had a way of making her laugh and forget about how terrible things were for her; especially how much last night had affected her. When Spike pinned her to the ground, she froze. Images of the Master filled her head, and she couldn’t move, let alone think. Luckily for her, she’d come out of her daze just soon enough. How much longer could her luck hold out?
“What do you think, Buff?” Xander asked.
“Huh?” she asked as she was pulled from her thoughts.
“Bronze tonight? What we’ve been discussing for oh, I don’t know, five minutes,” Xander answered.
“Sure, sounds great,” Buffy answered. She tried to smile convincingly at Willow.

“I thought I had made it clear that you were to stay away from this vampire,” Giles said as he cleaned his glasses.
“It’s not like I went after the blond wonder. He set me up. This whole big welcome party,” Buffy explained for what felt like the millionth time.
She had been listening to Giles tell her how careless she had been for the past fifteen minutes. Willow must have expressed her concern to Giles because Buffy hadn’t even had the time to explain about her late night encounter before he started in on her.
“Right. Well, at least we know that he really is here for the Gem of Amara. We need to get to it before him. If a vampire of his level came to possess it, there is no telling the havoc he could cause on the Hell-mouth. We’ll need to research –” Giles stopped as he heard Buffy sigh.
Noticing her audience Buffy straightened up, “Research, right. With the books.”
“Buffy,” Giles sounded exasperated, “We need to know more about this gem. I would have you research Spike, but you obviously have no need to do that.”
After a few hours of research, Buffy began to doze off. They hadn’t found anything on the gem, not even a mention of it.
“I’m going to the Bronze. The gang is already there, and they are expecting me,” Buffy said as she stood up.
“Buffy, this is a bit more important,” Giles said.
“But it’s so boring. Bronzing with my friends sounds…oh…ten times better at least. Besides, we haven’t found anything, and you’re better at the researchy thing anyway,” Buffy said, “Bye Giles.”
“Right,” Giles said as his Slayer left him alone in the library.

“Thought you were going to ditch us,” Xander greeted Buffy.
“Giles was in research mode. Wanted to find out about this gem thingy that Spike is after. I left the excitement as soon as I could,” Buffy said.
“You should have told us, Buff. We could have helped,” Willow said.
“I for one am perfectly happy to be excluded from the research. Besides, I had practice after school anyway,” Cordy said.
Buffy rolled her eyes, “Thanks Will, but trust me, you’ll get to research to your hearts content. The gem is supposed to make vamps and other nasties invincible.”
“So, you couldn’t kill them?” Cordy asked, looked concerned.
“Well, sort of. I mean they are already dead,” Buffy said, “Giles is working on a better explanation.”
“Let’s dance,” Willow said.
“Lead on,” Xander said as he took Cordy’s hand.
Out on the dance floor, Buffy could truly relax. All of her thoughts of the Master and Spike easily skipped her mind. She felt the music, and swayed to the beat. She didn’t care that she had no one to dance with, that Angel wasn’t here with her anymore. She spent three whole songs in bliss before her radar pulled her cruelly from her daze. There was more than one vampire here. Without loosing the beat, she scanned the crowd for the nasty.
“Miss me?” Spike whispered in her ear.
Buffy shivered as she felt his cool breath on her neck. Not wanting to alarm anyone, she continued to sway to the music, Spike following her lead.
“If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were following me,” Buffy said casually.
“Who says I’m not, luv?” Spike asked.
“Ooh, look at that!” Willow said excitedly to Oz, “Buffy’s found a guy to dance with.”
Oz smiled at the red head in his arms. However, something about the blond man didn’t settle well with him.
Buffy bit her lip. If Spike was following her that probably meant he wanted another chance to kill her, and after her less than impressive exit last night…he would undoubtedly think she’d be an easy kill.
“That’s twice I’ve made you silent, Slayer,” Spike said. He could smell her fear and it was intoxicating almost as much as the anticipation of drinking her blood, almost.
Shaking her fears, she let her Slayer side take over, “Should you really be dancing this close to me? We wouldn’t want Ms. Edith telling Dru about this, she might get jealous.”
Spike tensed and grabbed Buffy roughly by the hips. He pulled the blonde flush against his body, “How in the bloody hell do you know about my Dru?”
Buffy tried to ignore the pain Spike was causing with his vice-like grip, “That’s not half of what I know about you, Spike.”
He didn’t know what to say to that. There was no way her books could have told her about Dru, especially not the part about Ms. Edith. Dru was beyond crazy, and this stupid little bint shouldn’t know a damn thing about her.
“Now who’s silent? You can’t tell me the ‘Big Bad’ has nothing to say,” Buffy asked. She was being reckless, considering her close proximity to the vampire, but she couldn’t stop. It was like her mouth just ignored her brain entirely.
Spike growled and dragged the Slayer into a shadowed corner of the Bronze. He roughly shoved her against the wall. “Start talking, Slayer,” Spike said as he squeezed her throat.
“Wow, I didn’t think Buffy could move on like that. I mean she was so upset about Angel leaving,” Willow said to Xander.
“I know. When she moves on, she moves on…fast,” Xander said.
“I don’t like him,” Oz said calmly.
“Why not?” Willow questioned. She was thrilled that Buffy had found a boy that interested her.
Oz shrugged his shoulders, “Just don’t.”
“Vague much?” Cordy said incredulously.
Oz shrugged again. Cordy rolled her eyes.
Buffy closed her eyes and fought back the tears that threatened to spill from her eyes. She’d struck a nerve with the platinum vamp, a sore nerve. “What’s so wrong with me knowing about Dru? I knew about you, and you didn’t seem to care. You have to fight her fights?”
Again, Spike was shocked by the Slayer’s response. He turned his head away. “Tonight’s you’re lucky night, kitten.” With that, he was gone.
Buffy sagged against the wall, gasping for much needed oxygen. She’d learned something new tonight; Spike cared deeply about this, Dru…maybe even loved her. Buffy pushed that idea aside, vampires can’t feel love. Taking a moment to compose herself, Buffy walked over and rejoined her friends.

Spike stormed into the factory. He grabbed one of his minions and throttled the little bastard before sending him out to catch something fresh for his Princess. The other minions scampered away as the vampire stormed through the main room.
“The stars told me secrets, told me that the Slayer is being naughty. Telling my Williams’ secrets,” Dru said airily as Spike entered the room.
Spike looked at Dru before scanning the room. The sight of all the blindfolded dolls made it ever clear that his Dark Princess was absolutely mad. “Bloody Slayer, knew all about you, luv. I was such a wanker, I just walked away. I had her, Dru, pressed up against the wall, defenseless.”
Spike paced the room. He could still feel the Slayer’s fear. Still, he had let her go free. The petite blonde undid him; made him completely off balance - that first night by calling him William, then the bit about Dru. Was this all a bloody game to her?
The minion Spike had throttled earlier paused in the doorway as he caught Spike’s eye. After glaring at the underling for a few seconds, Spike motioned him inside the room. The minion offered the fresh young body to Dru and quickly exited the room.
Setting aside the offering, Dru stood up and walked over to her distraught William, “It’s ok, my William. You’ll get that naughty Slayer. She will pay for making you so upset. We’ll have cakes another night.”
Spike kissed Dru on the forehead. “Yes, luv, she’ll pay.”