Author's Chapter Notes:
Song lyrics from Three Day’s Grace “Get Out Alive”
VISIT

“If I stay, it won’t be long

Till I’m burning on the inside.

If I go, I can only hope

That I make it to the other side.”

* * * * *

Faith paced the confines of the room the PTB’s had given to her for her stay with them. All things considered, the room wasn’t bad. She had access to a portal to view the world and a comfy bed. She was the key? It made sense only because of what she’d seen and felt when she’d fought Buffy in the gym…what didn’t make sense was the PTB’s leaving her up here while Buffy was sent back to deal. The more time she spent around the white hats, the more she failed to understand them. It was like they wanted Buffy to fail; like, by having the world end, it would punish her for something. She wanted to go home, to be back with her family, complete with sisters and an extremely horny couple.

“I can send her a message,” Faith whispered to the empty room. A cunning smile graced her lips as she formulated the plan in her head.

There had to be a way to send a message to someone. After all, the PTB’s sent plenty of Slayer Dreams to the girls. She simply needed to find out how they did that and send a message to Buffy. Or, figure out a way to have a discussion with her. Right after they’d fought in the gym, they’d been pulled into a quasi Slayer Dream, or something else uber-freaky…either way, if she could somehow pull Buffy into something like that with Whistler, they could actually talk things out and Buffy could save the day.

“Whistler! That’s it.”

Faith left the room and walked into the main chamber. Everything here was just white, white, and more white. When she got back home, she promised herself that she’d never, never wear, paint or do anything that involved the color white. There was only so much of one color that a girl could take. She walked up to the man who, for all intents and purposes, was in charge.

“Can I see Whistler?” Faith asked as sweetly as she could.

“Why?”

“He was fun to talk to, and well, I’m bored up here. B’s busy working out her issues, so there’s not exactly prime entertainment,” Faith lied.

He eyed the girl warily. Even though she was not as openly hostile as the other Slayer, she was still not to be trusted. It was overwhelmingly evident that both Slayers only did things for their own gain instead of the greater good. With Faith securely kept from causing further problems for maintaining the balance, he saw no immediate danger in allowing the girl a companion. He did understand the pack animal nature of humans.

“Very well, I’ll have him called to your quarters. You should return there now.”

“Okay, thanks,” Faith answered awkwardly. The idea of having to show respect was still a bit elusive to her, especially to people she’d love to shove a stake into and see what happened. She turned on her heel and hastily made her way back to her room.

She once again resumed her pacing. She thought easier when she moved around, which was why fighting came to her so easily. It still bothered her a bit that it was so easy to get them to agree to send Whistler to her. Obviously they underestimated her and didn’t think she would do anything from up here…they had been almost right.

“Surprised you called for me,” Whistler said from the doorway.

“It ain’t your fault the PTB’s have a communal stick up their ass,” Faith said casually. “You and me, we’re five by five.”

“Think she’ll kill her?” Whistler asked, motioning to the portal showing Buffy still throwing Anya around the small hospital room.

“Nah. She would’ve done it by now. And, I think B really wants the PTB’s…Anya’s more of an annoyance.”

Whistler moved into the room. He eyed the Slayer cautiously. After their first meeting, he knew how volatile both girls were and didn’t want to be on the receiving end of their anger.

“How’d they do it?” Faith asked, tired of the small talk.

“How’d how do what?” Whistler asked.

“The PTB’s. How’d they make us meet you in the gym instead of that apartment we’d been in?”

“Was just an illusion. Since both of you were unconscious, it was just projecting the same image to both of you,” Whistler explained. He relaxed against the wall, fairly certain she wasn’t going to attack him any time soon.

“And how’d you get there?”

“The portal,” he pointed to the one in the room, “can be used to send the PTB’s images or messengers or whatever to the subconscious of the Slayer. In your case, Slayers – plural.”

“It only happens when we’re sleeping? That’s way creepsville. A bunch of non-corporeal whatevers sneaking into our dreams? Just ain’t right.”

“They aren’t as bad as you two seem to think they are. They’ve just got the whole world balance to keep in mind.”

“Yeah, harsh,” Faith said with no sincerity.

* * * * *

‘Pet?’

‘WHAT?’

‘Best stop now. You’ve had your fun.’

‘Spike, it’s her fault. She deserves it.’

‘I know. You’re still the good guy though.’

Buffy let Anya drop to the floor. Tears streamed freely down her face; she didn’t need to be brave in front of Spike. He understood her need to let it out, to be weak, to not be the Super Slayer all the time. He never put the same pressures on her that the others did; he didn’t expect her to be anything other than Buffy.

“I love you.”

“You too, pet.”

“Let’s go.”

“What about her?”

“Leave her; she can’t do anything now. She’s useless.”

Spike took Buffy’s hand and intertwined their fingers as they walked from the room. Anya stayed where she’d fallen. Tears fell from her eyes, and not from the pain…she could deal with the pain. She’s useless. It was true. She’d failed as a vengeance demon, defeated by a bunch of teenagers. Then she’d failed again as a teenager. It was painfully clear that she’d never be elevated to her former level. Knowing she’d failed beyond redemption, she stood and left the hospital.

“Good results, Anya?” The Mayor asked as she walked into his office.

“Buffy’s awake. The bruises on my body prove that. Faith’s still out for the count, though.”

“Only partial success – this is unacceptable. You obviously don’t want to be elevated as much as you say you do. Very disappointing. Youth should strive to achieve all of their dreams.”

The Mayor turned from the window and looked at Anya. It was as if she’d shrunk since the last time he’d seen her. Maybe she really was trying; two Slayers would be a lot for anyone to handle…after all, Anya was only human. He reached into his desk drawer and pulled out a bag of Oreos and placed several on a plate.

“Eat up. Time to turn that frown upside down.”

Anya eyed The Mayor, clearly puzzled, but sat down and happily took a couple of the offered cookies.

“We’re still marginally ahead. There’s only one Slayer to deal with now, and with her ‘sister’ out of the game, she’s more vulnerable than before. All in all, not a horrible situation.”

* * * * *

Spike led Buffy through the darkened streets of Sunnydale. He focused on being as calm and peaceful as possible, hoping the claim would do its job and keep her calm too.

“Don’t take me home, Spike.”

“But your mum and the Bit’ll worry.”

“I can’t face them. Not without bringing Faith back first. I couldn’t keep her safe, and now she’s all alone up there – ” She gestured up at the sky. “And I can’t do anything about it except kill The Mayor which I can’t figure out how to do.”

“You’ll get ‘er back, luv. I know you will. For tonight, we’ll go somewhere else. Got me some cash stashed away. We’ll get a room, real posh hotel…but you’ll have to face ‘em eventually.”

Buffy looked up at him. She knew he was right, and she knew he’d make her face them. Stupid vampires and their being right all the time thing. It really was an annoying habit. They switched directions and headed towards the highway. Spike paid for one of the nicer rooms in the hotel and swept Buffy into his arms. She curled into him, feeling secure for the first time in too long.

Not wanting to disrupt the precious cargo he held, Spike kicked the door open and then closed behind them. He carefully deposited her on the bed, placing a kiss on her forehead. After flipping on the television, he pulled his boots off and climbed into bed next to his girl. She eagerly snuggled herself against his side. Gentle purrs vibrated through his body and into her. Slowly, he felt her relax against him. She turned to be able to look at his face.

“Make me forget,” she whispered.

Unable to refuse his Mate anything, Spike captured her lips in a gentle kiss. He gently pulled her on top of him and ran his hands over her back, still trying to soothe her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and played with the tiny hairs at the nape of his neck. As she settled herself between his legs, Spike felt himself grow hard. It had been too long since he’d been with his Mate. With that knowledge, he deepened the kiss. The best way he knew to reassure the girl would be to make her mind completely blank with pleasure. Pleasure only he could bring her.

With a low growl, he flipped them over. He kissed every inch of her face, then traveled down to her neck. He licked his mark with his tongue and felt her shudder beneath him. Moving a hand between them, he rubbed her mound through the material of her jeans. When her hips began to move in tandem with his hand, he undid the clasp, and pulled the jeans down her lean legs. He continued his assault on her clit, rubbing furiously through her panties. He felt her warm little lips travel along his neck and latch onto her mark. He ripped her underwear off and plunged two fingers into her wet hole. With his other hand, he fumbled with the button and zipper of his own pants. All thoughts of going slow, showering her with tender caresses, flew from his mind when she’d sought out his mark.

Buffy moaned loudly as Spike rammed into her. She held him to her tight enough to break the bones of a normal man. This was exactly what she needed from him; mind numbing sex was a surefire way to forget everything except the feel of him inside her once more. She matched him thrust for thrust. Later they’d have time for gentle, for long luxurious sex; now, she needed the violence.

‘I need you.’

‘You’ve got me Slayer. Forever.’

‘Prove it.’

Amber eyes blazed down at Buffy. She shivered in anticipation, not fear, and turned her head to the side. She needed him, more than oxygen, more than anything else in the world. It was important to her to feel his possession of her, to know that no matter what else happened that she’d never lose him again. Being without him, not feeling his presence during the fight with Faith…it’d nearly killed her. The PTB’s could do a lot of things to her, but this…this they couldn’t take away from her.

Like a snake, Spike struck her exposed neck. His fangs slid into his mark and he felt her ambrosia sweet blood slide down his throat. Her inner muscles clenched and she keened her orgasm as he continued to pull from her neck. His demon once again secure in his claim on her, Spike gave in to his body’s demands and emptied himself inside her hot depths. He rolled to the side, pulling Buffy with him and ran his hand through her golden locks. As sleep overtook her, she snuggled into the security of his arms. Spike smiled as he too succumbed to sleep, worry over his girls taking a toll on him.

* * * * *

“If you want to get out alive

Hold on for your life.

If you want to get out alive

Hold on for your life.”

* * * * *

“Finally,” Faith said with a smile. “Thought those two would never get it done. Damn, I need to get me some. Find a vampire pet of my own. Least I wouldn’t have to worry ‘bout breaking them.”

Faith opened her door enough to look up and down the hallway. Once she was convinced the coast was clear, she closed the door and returned to the portal. It amazed her that the PTB’s couldn’t read her mind and figure out what she was about to do and stop her. It struck her as something they’d do, too.

“Here goes nothing,” Faith said as she stepped into the portal.

She looked around. The room looked like the one she and Buffy’d been in before it switched back to the gym. It was an apartment, but it looked like it was her apartment. Definitely had her flair. Faith looked up as Buffy walked into her apartment, arms folded across her chest. A cat jumped on top of the cardboard boxes that weren’t there a second ago.

“What’s with the cat?” Buffy asked, looking at Faith.

“It’s a she. Aren’t these things supposed to take care of themselves?”

“Is this your dream or mine?”

“Both, er – yours. I’m giving you the dream.”

“There’s something I’m supposed to be doing.”

“Yo, B. I’m giving you this dream, so listen up…okay?”

“You’re the one with the dream giving, so dream give.”

“Right, sorry, lot of new stuff in my head. Never done this before…usually it’s the PTB’s in here screwing things around.”

“Always there to help.”

Both girls looked out of the broken window. The cat jumped through the space.

“They’re never going to fix this, are they?”

“It shouldn’t be there. We were in the gym.”

Faith looked up at Buffy. She probably should have thought this through a bit more before just jumping into the deep end.

“No, it should’ve been here. I wasn’t supposed to be good. We weren’t all chummy. You killed me to save Angel, not Spike.”

“Angel?”

“Not important. Look, I don’t know how much time I have before the weirdness takes over again, so pay attention. You need to know the deal. Human weakness – thing about that is, it never goes away. Not even his.”

Buffy looked down at the blade in her hand. “I killed you.”

“Yeah, nearly. Use me to get to him – The Mayor.”

“He’s got Anya.”

“He’s supposed to have me, B.”

“You’re stuck, he can’t get you. I won’t let him win, Faith.”

“Never expected you to. You gotta figure it out, though. PTB’s fixed this up real nice…I can’t tell you what I wanted to.”

Buffy looked around at all of the boxes.

“Getting towards that time,” Faith said.

“How are you going to fit all this stuff?” Buffy asked.

“Not gonna. It’s yours.”

“I can’t use all of this!” Buffy gestured around her.

“Just take what you need.”

Faith looked at Buffy and hoped that between all the weirdness that she’d made her point. She reached up and cupped Buffy’s cheek. “You’re ready.”

Faith once again found herself in her room, the one the PTB’s had given to her.

“I hope you are quite proud of yourself.”

“Not bad for a day’s work,” Faith replied flippantly.

“You girls will never understand.”

“And you’ll never give up; nice to know you’ve got our backs.”

“We have a greater responsibility. You used our generosity earlier, and what you’ve done will not be forgotten.”

“Oh, sorry. Now I’m just scared. You, who use us all the time…no matter what it costs us, are all panty twisted because I learned from the best? Nah, not buying it. You’re just bitching because we’re going to win this thing no matter how much you screw with us.”

“The dream will fade when she wakes up. Relaying Slayer dreams takes practice and talent much beyond your current abilities.”

“I think you’re just scared. Even trapped up here, I’m still screwing with the big picture you seem to be so worried about…me, the Slayer screw up. I didn’t see it coming either.”

“We can always fix whatever mistakes you cause. The balance must be maintained.”

“Right, we’re only human. I keep forgetting.”