Manifest Destiny by Uisge Beatha
Summary: Turns out that an ancient coin, a pissed off vampire, and a Slayer with an attitude are not mixy things.
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action
Warnings: Adult Language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 54638 Read: 33028 Published: 03/14/2005 Updated: 07/05/2007

1. Chapter 1 - Go West Young Man by Uisge Beatha

2. Chapter Two - Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word by Uisge Beatha

3. Chapter Three – There’s a Long, Long Trail Awinding by Uisge Beatha

4. Chapter Four - Don't Squat With Your Spurs On by Uisge Beatha

5. Chapter Five - Buffalo Gals Won't You Come Out Tonight by Uisge Beatha

6. Chapter Six - Horses Dream of Pastures Wide and Free by Uisge Beatha

7. Chapter Seven - Hitch Your Wagon to a Star by Uisge Beatha

8. Chapter Eight - An' Souls That Cry For Water by Uisge Beatha

9. Chapter Nine - The Soft Word Your Cruel Lips Will Never Say by Uisge Beatha

10. Chapter Ten (Revised) - Cowboys Dance With The Farmers' Daughters by Uisge Beatha

11. Chapter Eleven - They Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Uisge Beatha

12. Chapter Twelve - I Feel The Summer In The Spring by Uisge Beatha

13. Chapter Thirteen - People Will Say We’re In Love by Uisge Beatha

14. Chapter Fourteen - There's Bound to be Rough Waters by Uisge Beatha

15. Chapter Fifteen - From Lips I’ve Never Owned by Uisge Beatha

16. Chapter Sixteen - Gonna Wash That Man Right Out Of My Hair by Uisge Beatha

17. Chapter Seventeen - Little Less Talk, A Lot More Action by Uisge Beatha

18. Chapter Eighteen - With Noting Between You and the Dark by Uisge Beatha

19. Chapter Nineteen – And Now Looking In Your Eyes by Uisge Beatha

20. Chapter Twenty - All That Has Brought Me To Today by Uisge Beatha

21. Chapter Twenty-One - Let's Give 'em Something To Talk About by Uisge Beatha

22. Chapter Twenty-Two - Back in the Saddle Again by Uisge Beatha

23. Chapter 23 -My Wild Frontier by Uisge Beatha

24. Chapter 24- Somewhere Other Than the Night by Uisge Beatha

Chapter 1 - Go West Young Man by Uisge Beatha
Author: Uisge Beatha

Rating: NC-17

Timeline: Early 5th season, before Out of My Mind.

Synopsis: Turns out that an ancient coin, a pissed off vampire, and a Slayer with an attitude are not mixy things.

Disclaimer: Buffy and Spike belong Joss, and I thank him for their creation. I merely take them out and play with them occasionally.

Author's Note: Thanks to xyellowroset for the beta and always challenging me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had looked rather innocuous—but then didn’t all time-altering, life-buggering talismans? A coin. Gold, roughly hewn, and etched with a symbol; an intricate knot. Spike had recognized it as Chinese, most likely Ming or Oing Dynasty. It had arrived in a shipment of fertility statues ordered from a antiquities dealer in Beijing. Oddly enough, all the statues turned out to be of pigs. Who knew that in China the pig was a symbol of virility? But that didn’t explain the coin found in the bottom of the shipping crate. It appeared to have been wrapped hastily in some stained linens and shoved in among the other items.

No one wanted to look a gift horse, or pig, as the case may be, in the mouth, but before adding the coin to the Magic Box’s inventory they all thought it best to figure out what it was and where it had come from. The dealer was called—over much protest from Anya who was sure they were going to have to end up paying for it—and Willow was doing research on the knot symbol.

That was about the time all Hell began to break loose.

Who would have thought plans for a simple night out at the movies could go so wrong? Spike wandered into the Magic Box just as the discussion began to heat up. The Scoobies were all gathered around the table in the rear of the store, Willow on her computer, the rest lounging about pretending to peruse various dusty ancient texts. Xander was demanding no chick-flicks and pushing for Meet the Parents. The look of horror on Willow’s face nixed that idea immediately. Then, she suggested something sci-fi. Dawn was adamant about it being PG-13, figuring that would at least put Charlie’s Angels in the running. Buffy didn’t seem to care at all, as usual.

The vampire tromped over and jumped up to sit on the glass counter, his duster fanning out around him. He watched the foursome for a while, his feet swinging and hitting the front of the counter just loud enough to be a disturbance, wondering how long it would take for them to notice him. As a thought occurred, his eyes shifted slowly to the right. Nonchalantly, he leaned back and reached over to try something he’d seen the vengeance demon do dozens of times before. As the drawer to the cash register slid open, the vampire smirked, then glanced back to make sure the entertainment debate was still raging. Nimble fingers freed several bills of various denominations before the drawer was stealthily shut. Spike quickly pocketed the money and moved to pull his cigarettes from the pocket of his duster. His lighter flared briefly, and he inhaled deeply—the nicotine immediately infusing his tissues with the nice little buzz he so enjoyed.

Vampiric hearing being what it is, it didn’t take long for their continued bickering to crawl up Spike’s last nerve and take a knife to it. His shrill, two fingered whistle finally drew their attention.

“Do a bloke a favor, eh? Take it down a decibel or two?” He jumped from the counter, and sauntered over to the table.

Xander scowled in his direction but continued. “I’m just saying that if I have to sit through another When Harry Met Sally wannabe, my brain is going to turn to mush.”

“To late to mind that,” the vampire grinned impishly, pulling a chair out from beside Willow and sprawling into it, legs extended, cigarette hanging from between his lips.

Willow grabbed the cigarette and extinguished it into a half-empty plastic soda bottle before Spike could object.

“Hey,” Dawn grabbed at the now fizzing Mountain Dew. “I wasn’t finished with that yet!”

Willow ignored her whining. “No smoking,” the witch said, never looking up from the computer. “Doesn’t look like there’s anything showing that we can all agree on. Guess that does it for tonight’s plans.”

At the group grumbling that ensued, Spike shook his head in disgust. “You gits ever hear of videos? This new fangled thing, lets you watch movies at home. Heard it’s quite the rage.”

Buffy looked up from her cuticles, noticing Spike for what appeared to be the first time. “He’s right—”

The vampire’s sharp intake of breath cut off her words. “Did I hear that right? Be still my poundin’ heart—oh, wait,” he smirked over at the Slayer, who sat directly across from him. “Nevermind.”

Narrowing her eyes him, Buffy glowered. “Shut up, Spike.”

“Play me a new tune, Slayer,” he snarked back.

Buffy pointedly ignored the vampire, turning to look at Willow. “Why don’t we just rent a video? I’m sure Mom wouldn’t mind if we used the living room. Sodas, popcorn, and other salty goodness supplied on the house.”

Willow glanced up at her friend. “I don’t know, Buffy. Maybe it’s for the best. I really need to get some research done on this.” Her fingers left the keyboard of her iBook to pick up the coin.

Dawn dropped her head to Willow’s shoulder, peering over like a puppy looking for a scratch behind the ear. “It can’t wait one night?”

Xander joined Team Cajole. “Yeah, come on Wils, a night of cinematic action and adventure, surrounded by your nearest and dearest. Bondage. Of the friendly, non-sexual variety. Innocent. Innocent, friendly bondage.”

With a sigh, the red-head placed the coin back on the table and then closed the lid of her laptop. “Fine. You win. I give. Research tomorrow, for tonight we bond. But—” she leveled a finger at Xander. “No action and adventure. We see enough of that in good old Sunnydale.”

“How 'bout a Western?” Spike was flicking his Zippo lighter open and closed and didn’t look up as he spoke.

“A Western?” Dawn scrunched her forehead. “You mean like City Slickers?”

“No, Bit,” Spike dropped the lighter back into the pocket of his duster and reached over to pluck the coin from the table, his fingers working over its rough surface. “I mean a real Western. With gunslingers and cowboys and—” He stopped, watching as Buffy leaned over and whispered something into Willow’s ear and the women burst out laughing. “You got somethin’ you want to share with the class, Slayer?”

“Nothing, Spike,” she snorted in a rather unladylike fashion. “I was just wondering what you knew about Westerns. The only thing I’ve ever seen you watch was that stupid soap.”

“Ain’t stupid. In fact, award winnin’, but beside that fact, I happen to be a fan of Westerns.” He glared over at Buffy, tossing the coin back and forth from hand to hand. “Of history in general, actually, and the American Old West in particular.”

“Oh, please,” she snorted, standing up to gather her purse and coat from the chair back. “What do you know about the Old West?”

“More than you, I venture to say,” Spike stepped toward her. He fisted the coin, then pointed his index finger at the Slayer, poking her sharply in the shoulder to make his point. “Nothing you couldn’ get from any history book, Slayer. But then, don’t expect you to understand that. Would require you readin’.”

Buffy slapped his finger aside, slinging her purse over her shoulder. “I read! Stupid vampire.” she mumbled, moving to walk around him. “You love it so much, why don’t you go live there? Get the hell away from me. How about Texas or, or … Oklahoma? That Old West enough for you?”

As she pushed past him, he caught her lightly by the arm, treading carefully lest he make his chip fire, and turned her towards him. “That would be the thing, Slayer. Nothin’ more I’d love than to be rid of this town. And back in the Old West, when things were a hell of a lot more simple. Yeah, I’d love that. Could show you a thing or two if we lived back then. Put you in your place good 'n solid. Back when men were men and women . . . weren’t. Wish we was back there this very instant, then I’d—”

And suddenly there was no more. No more floor to stand upon. No more Magic Box. No more light. Just darkness so deep it felt like being smothered in velvet. Spike could still feel his fingers wrapped around Buffy’s arm, but he couldn’t see her or any of the others. There was just a feeling of twirling and spinning and then, in an instant, lightening pain that streaked from where his fingertips touched her skin, up his arm, radiating throughout his body. Pain that made the chip seem like a tickle.

There was a sharp crack, like the sound of a bull whip, and Spike was once again on solid ground. Only outside. He had to be outside. It was raining. Hard. Beating down on him, plastering his hair to his head, and sluicing down his face.

He opened his eyes to find Buffy still standing before him, his hand clutching her arm, and her eyes wide as saucers as they stared up into his.

She reached out a tentative finger and ran it along the sleeve of his duster. It was coarse and rough. Gone was the butter soft, well worn leather. In its place was stiff denim, covered with some oily substance that made the rain bead on it, rather than soak in. It was still worn, old, and beaten, but now looked to have been hastily patched and darned in areas around the cuffs and hem.

“Your coat…” “Your dress…” They spoke simultaneously.

Buffy looked down, her eyebrows rising to disappear into her limp, water-logged bangs as she took in her own altered appearance. Her fashionable, and more than a tad bit expensive, leather pants had been replaced by a gown, sewn from some rough, homespun cotton.

Her hand fell from the vampire’s sleeve to pluck at the faded fabric of the dress. What in the hell was going on?

Before she could voice the question, Spike stumbled into her, almost knocking her to the mud-soaked ground. He grabbed her shoulders, pulling her to him, trying to keep them both on their feet. A shrill whinny and twin plumes of steamed air drew her attention to the large horse that stood behind Spike, as the creature butted his head into the vampire’s shoulder.

“Slayer,” The vampire spoke slowly. “I don’t think we’re in Sunnydale anymore.”

To Be Continued

Comments and Feedback always appreciated
Chapter Two - Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word by Uisge Beatha
Author’s Note: Thanks, as always go xyellowroset for the kick in the butt to keep writing. She’s also one hell of a beta!

Chapter Two – Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What did you do?" Her words tore through the air and rose above the clap of thunder. Both were quickly followed by the flash of distant lightening.

"Me? What did I do?" Spike didn't resist as Buffy pulled herself from his grasp, struggling with the sodden weight of her long skirt.

"Yes, you. What. Did. You. Do?" She repeated, pushing the soggy strands of hair from her face. "Where are we?"

Spike's mouth snapped shut, his lips forming a tight, angry line. He breathed heavily through his nose, trying to contain his anger. When he felt that he could speak without bashing her upside the head, his voice was a snarl. "How the hell would I know where we are? Was on the same bloody teacup ride as you, wasn't I?"

Buffy shoved him hard in the chest, pushing him back into the horse who snorted in annoyance. "Tell me what you did, Spike, or so help me—"

"You two better get back to the wagons before you're washed away." The soft, gravely voice cut through the darkness, and both the vampire and slayer turned toward it.

They both stared at the man, jaws gaping. He was tall. Very tall. He towered over Spike. His shoulders were broad and they tapered down to a narrow waist. The man was dressed similar to Spike, in dark jeans and a long duster, a cowboy hat pulled down low over his forehead. The rain was still coming down hard, pooling in the crown of the hat and trickling down like a small waterfall over the brim.

“Come on, you two.” The man pulled his hat off, running a large hand through his dark, hair. “We’re getting the wagons moving at the crack of dawn and I’m going to need you ready and able to do a day’s work behind the reigns.” He slung an arm across Spike’s shoulders and looked down into the vampire’s incredulous face.

Spike chanced a look over at Buffy and found her now peering at him, looking like a drowned rat, her hair plastered to her skull, the soaked cotton of her dress clinging to her skin. It was obvious that neither one of them knew quite what to make of this turn of events. The man seemed to know them—thought they belonged here. Where ever here was.

Buffy opened her mouth to speak, and Spike narrowed his eyes her, silently pleading the slayer to follow his lead. “Right, wasn’t good of us to slip away. Sorry 'bout that.” Spike slid out from under the burly man’s arm and moved to stand next to Buffy, who was now looking at him like he’d grown two heads.

Unfortunately Spike was all too familiar with that look. They slayer didn’t know what was going on, and skating on the knife edge of her temper, she was going to blunder them both trouble by working her jaw before putting her brain in gear. It was clear that someone or something had sent them on a little spin through time and space. Better they find out exactly where and, more importantly, when they were before letting everyone in on the game.

Spike caught Buffy’s hand in his before she could speak, pulling her close to him. “Bu—She’s soaked through. Best get her back. We’ll be right along.”

The large man nodded and turned to leave. “Don’t straggle now, Wil.”

“Wil? Who—“ Buffy began.

Spike’s hand over her mouth cut off her retort. He wrapped an arm about her shoulders, bringing her flush to his chest and looked down into her flashing green eyes.

Buffy struggled against the vampire. She tried to say something, but it was muffled under Spike’s calloused palm. Finally, glaring up at him, her eyebrows drawn together in an angry line over her eyes, she stood still.

Spike wasn’t sure how he managed to keep hold of her, what with the slippery clothes and ankle deep mud they were standing in. He didn’t waste time worrying about it, however. The vampire wasn’t about to look a gift horse in the mouth. Looking an angry slayer in the eye was bad enough.

Buffy grumbled again against his hand again and Spike could feel her muscles tensing for another tussle.

“Shush, now, Slayer. Be a good girl.”

His choice of words earned him a swift kick to the shins and another flurry and twisting of limbs as Buffy tried to break free of his iron grip. As her body brushed against his, he became aware of the thinness of her cotton dress and the pressure of her breasts smashed against his chest. His duster was open, flapping in the gusts of wind that carried the rain around them, and the soaked fabric of their shirts clung together.

A tingle started somewhere in the base of Spike’s spine and snaked its way up to his neck and shoulders. He could feel Buffy’s warm breath on his hand, but also the softness of her lips, the smooth curve of her cheek. He was overcome with the completely insane urge to pull his hand free and replace it with his lips. Where the thought had come from, he didn’t know. The sensation was as much of a mystery as what happened to them. It was also just as real. He knew lust when he felt it, and the sudden sensation that seemed to seep into his pores dumfounded him.

Looking down into her eyes, Spike realized Buffy had stopped struggling. “Promise to keep your mouth shut, and I’ll take my hand away,” he said, his voice husky. He’d aimed for gruff, hoping his words wouldn’t betray his body’s traitorous reaction.

Buffy’s eyes rounded, and she slowly nodded. Spike relaxed his fingers and cautiously removed his hand from over Buffy’s mouth. It hovered there, waiting to descend again if she failed to keep the bargain. She remained quiet, though, and he dropped his hand to her shoulder.

“Didn’ want Roy Rogers to figure out we don’t belong here. Thought it best if we worked this little mystery out ourselves, first, before confidin’ in any of the natives.” He still had her pulled tight to his chest, his arm wrapped about her back, the fingers of his hand curled against the curve of her waist. He told himself he should let go of her now. His body refused to cooperate. It was too busy appreciating hers.

“May I speak?” Buffy’s voice was a low, but there was a backbone of steel behind the words.

He nodded. “Keep it down. Don’t know how far we are from those wagons.”

“Right. Now, get your hands off me.” She hissed quietly.

Spike released his hold on her, sliding his arm away from her waist, dropping his hand from where it had been clutching her bicep. Buffy pulled away from him instantly, her wet bodice peeling away from his shirt with a slurping sound. Spike’s eyes flashed to her chest and found the thin material molded to her skin, clinging to the curves of her breasts. Her nipples showed clearly through the fabric and he watched as they tightened into hard peaks. His mouth grew dry and despite the rain still falling on his face, his tongue darted out, tracing the contour of his bottom lip.

Buffy followed Spike’s gaze and quickly whirled away from him, her arms coming up to cross over her breasts. After a long moment of silence she looked back at the vampire over her shoulder. “Where are we? What’s happened to us?” Her voice trembled a bit and he wasn’t sure if she was cold or scared. Probably a bit of both. He knew he was.

“Far as I can figure, we got ourselves transported.” His eyes caressed the long line of her back when she turned from him again. She looked so tiny. Buffy had always been petite – a tiny bundle of fists and foul temper – but now she just looked small and scared and he had another insane urge—to go to the slayer and comfort her. Take her in his arms and tell her that everything would be fine. That they’d find their way out of this place. Must have been some residual hocus pocus, some left over magic throwing his natural instincts for a loop. Had to have been. This was the slayer after all. She didn’t want his protection. Didn’t need it. Fact was, he was the one that would be needing protection if she got it into her hard little head that he was the cause of their current predicament.

She turned back to face him, her arms still sheltering her from his view. “Where?” She glanced to her right, then her left. “Nothing looks familiar – and these clothes—” She looked down at her dress then back to him. “We’re not just in a different place. We’re in a different time.” It wasn’t a question, but the tone seemed to beg for him to disagree with her. Prove her wrong.

“Most likely. Haven’t seen duds like these, well, not ever. At least not in person. Maybe in some old photographs. Maybe. That dress you’re wearing is hand sewn, seen enough to tell you that.” He pulled the lapels of his coat open further and looked down at his own clothes. “This isn’ my duster, not my boots either. Whatever sent us here, fixed us up to fit in, that’s for sure.”

“Well, I don’t want to fit in. I want to go home. We’ve got to find out what happened… what did this to us, and find a way back.”

“First thing we need to find is a way back to, are those wagons that fella mentioned. Don’t want a search party out lookin’ for us and havin’ to explain something we haven’ even got a clue about.” Spike turned, looking in the direction where the other man had walked off. “Best get somewhere dry, where we can sit and work this through. Not gonna find the answer out here in the dark.” The rain had finally broken and a hazy moon was beginning to show through the fast moving night clouds.

“Right,” Buffy gave a heavy sigh.

“There now, Slayer, we’ll find our way outta this.”

She shrugged, then shivered. “There’s bound to be more people back at these wagons. What do we say to them? What do we do?”

He tilted his head, watching the wind ruffle the wet strands of her hair. “We act like we belong.” He looked up and caught her eye. “‘Cause, to them, we do. Seems they know us well enough. Jus’ got to keep our mouths shut and our ears open until we suss things out.”

With a quick movement, Spike shrugged out of his duster and tossed the garment to Buffy. She caught the canvas just before it landed at her feet and hugged stiff material to her chest. Before she could say anything, Spike turned and walked towards the trail the tall man had used.

His shoulders relaxed a bit when he felt Buffy step up beside him. Watching out of the corner of his eye, he saw her slip the coat around her, holding the hem up to keep it from dragging on the ground.

He eased the smile that had begun to form to a more neutral expression. “Let’s just stick close for now, eh? ’Til we know what’s what. At least it seems that to be natural for us to be together. One thing workin’ in our favor.”

“Yeah,” Buffy huffed. “Just about the only thing. And with my luck you’ll turn out to be my brother or something.”

Spike glanced over at her. “Could always be worse.”

“I doubt it, Spike.” Buffy looked up at the stars that were now starting to break through the clearing night sky. “I think I can safely say, it can’t get worse than this.”

To Be Continued

Comments and Feedback always appreciated
Chapter Three – There’s a Long, Long Trail Awinding by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
As always to my good friend and trusty beta, eman
Chapter Three – There’s a Long, Long Trail Awinding


~~~~~~~~

“Oh, no you don’t. You don’t just get to sit there with that smirk on your face, being all … all … smirky. This is not funny, Spike.”

The vampire chuckled, watching the annoyed Slayer with more than a little amusement. “Better lower your voice there, Slayer, unless you want the whole wagon train to know our business.

The wagon they were in was small; filled to the brim with barrels and wooden crates. The only hint of comfort came in the form of a feather filled mattress. The tick was slightly larger than what one would consider a twin bed, and shorter by nearly a foot. And comfort was a relative term. The canvas covering the tick was rough and stained, the sharp tips of feathers poked through here and there.

“Don’t tell me to lower my voice,” Buffy hissed at him in a whisper.

“Just sayin’ that it might not be the best for all our new friends to find out who we are … or more importantly, where we’ve come from.” Spike went back to investigating the contents the wagon, kicking at barrels, and attempting to pry the tops off crates. So far he’d found nothing that interested him to any great degree. “Time travel, see, that’s somethin’ that’s too easily confused with witchcraft to people from this time.”

“This time?” Buffy picked up a cast iron skillet from the top of a small keg on the floor, hefting it as if assessing its use as a weapon. “What in hell is this time, Spike?”

“Near as I can tell, from the dress, from this Prairie Schooner, hell, just from the feel of it? I’d say near about 1850’s or so.”

“This isn’t happening.” Buffy dropped the skillet onto the keg with a loud thud.

“Oh, it’s happenin’, Slayer, and you’d best get used to it.”

“I will not get used to it!” She turned towards him, her eyes filled with frustration. “I refuse. There’s got to be something we can do.”

Spike looked up from the keg he was opening. “I’m sure there is. And we’ll be workin’ on it, no doubt. But for right now, tonight, this is happening and you need to deal—”

“Oh, I’ll deal all right. I’ll deal by going out there and kicking some ass until I get some answers.”

The vampire grabbed her arm, spinning her around and away from the entrance of the small wagon.

“Are you crazy,” he hissed. Then he took a deep breath and shook his head. “Never mind; rhetorical question.” His grip on her tightened and he pulled her close to him. All humor had left his face, and his eyes held the seriousness of his words. “Look, you go out there and cause a ruckus and we’re gonna end up in worse shape than missin’ in action.”

The Slayer freed herself from his grasp, crossing her arms across her chest, her hands rubbing at spots where his fingers had dug into her skin. “Missing in action? Spike, perhaps you’re not grasping the gravity of this sitch. We’ve been, somehow, someway, tossed back in time to God only knows when—”

“Like I said, 1850’s, maybe the early 60’s.” Spike inserted quickly.

“Or where.” She snapped back.

“From the looks of things I’d say a wagon train. Oregon Trail, maybe Sante Fe.”

“Fine, Mr. History Channel Vampire Guy. Tell me this. Why the hell do these people think they know us? How come they think we’re this Elizabeth and Will—”

“I’d say that was ironically convenient, Slayer. Don’t go lookin’ a gift horse—”

“—and they think we’re married!” She shivered in revulsion.

Spike grimaced. “Yeah, well, that’s a tad concernin’, I’ll give you that.”

“A ‘tad concerning?’ You’ll give me that? That’s big of you. Spike, they know us. At least they think they do. We’ve been transported here by some evil force—”

“Now wait one second, Slayer. Why’s it every time somethin’ happens that doesn’t go your way, its all evil’s doin’? Could just be some run-of-the-mill hocus-pocus we got caught in the middle of.” He dipped his finger into a keg he’d just opened and then sucked the finger into his mouth. “Sugar.” He stated to no one in particular. “In fact,” he began again, on a role of indignation for evil’s sake. “What if this is some act of those higher powers you keep spouting off about. Could be. You know better than most that they don’t exactly get your permission before they start fucking with your life. Maybe we’ve been sent back to this time to, I don’t know,” he paused, seeming at loss of words, when a suddenly his face lit with smile. “To put right, what once went wrong!”

Buffy’s mouth fell open. “We’re lost in time and you’re giving me Quantum Leap quotes?”

“I’m just sayin—” Spike shrugged.

“Spike, I don’t care if Mother Theresa sent us here. I want out. Now. I am Buffy Summers and I live in Sunnydale, California, not…” She gestured wildly about the interior of the wagon, “the Ponderosa. And, most importantly, I am not – do you hear me? Not. Your. Wife.

“Bride,” the vampire stated with a curt nod of his head.

“Oh, don’t even go there—” Buffy narrowed her eyes at him.

“We’re newlyweds.” His lips birthed a small, satisfied smile.

“Spike, I’m warning you.” The Slayer’s tone lowered, her lips thinning into a harsh line.

“On our honeymoon.” The tongue made its debut, running suggestively along his upper teeth, his smile growing along with the Slayer’s annoyance.

Buffy’s response was a growl—a low, ominous sound eminating deep within her chest.

His eyes glittered and he rushed headlong into the hurricane of her anger. “Headed out West to start our new life as Mister and Missus—“

“Don’t!” she bellowed.

“Throckmorton.” He offered the name as if on a silver platter, then waited to watch the fall out.

Buffy, her jaw slack, stared at him. But instead of the tsunami of emotion that usually predicated one of their verbal skirmishes, she suddenly let out a whosh of breath from deep within her belly. Then, as if all energy had been drained from her body, her knees folded and she sunk down upon the feather mattress.

“You know,” The Slayer mumbled, her head drooping, her chin resting dejectedly on her chest. “I could handle the rest. I really could. But that? Being Mrs. Throckmorton? I … I just can’t.”

Spike chuckled, then dropped down to sit next to her, Indian style, his knee casually bumping hers. “Look at it this way, Slayer. At least you have a devilishly handsome husband to depend on.”

Buffy raised her head slowly, her eyes blank and humorless. “What are we going to do, Spike?”

His smirk softened to smile. “For right now, you’re gonna get some sleep. Dead on your feet, Slayer and you’ll function a lot better with a bit o’ kip.” He sighed taking a deep breath. He didn’t like being generous. It went against the grain. But the looking at the dejected girl slumped next to him, he couldn’t help himself. “I’ll wait til’ the campsite settles in and then do a bit of investigating. See if I can at least figure out exactly when and where we are. Gotta hope this rain holds out as well. Either that or figure out how to—“

Spike realized that he had, somehow, lost the Slayer’s attention. He craned his neck towards her, watching as her eyes focused intently on his chest. The silly bint wasn’t even listening to him!

Slowly Buffy looked up from her perusal of his chest, green eyes capturing blue. Spike’s mouth opened, his throat worked, as if he was about to speak to her, but stopped when she tentatively reach a hand out, her fingers lightly grazing his cheek. Buffy’s eyes continued to hold his, her brow wrinkling in concern, her head tilting slightly in confusion. Slowly her fingers trailed from his cheek to his throat and down to his chest, where she pressed her palm against the damp flannel fabric at his breast.

Spike frowned as he watched Buffy’s eyes follow the trail of her hand and once again she was staring at the center of his chest. He pulled back a bit, and looked down at where her hand lightly touched him. His patience strained, he growled, “Slayer, what the fuck is going on?”

“Spike?” Buffy asked, her eyes never straying from her splayed hand. “Why is your heart beating?”


To be Continued
Chapter Four - Don't Squat With Your Spurs On by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Timeline:Early 5th season, before Out of My Mind. isclaimer: Buffy and Spike belong Joss, and I thank him for their creation. I merely take them out and play with them occasionally. uthor’s Note: Thanks to xyellowroset for her continuing help in making me understand why there should be a semi-colon there instead of a comma, and also to hollydb, who has graciously agreed to beta for me – which thrills me to know end as she is one of my favorite authors and one kiss-ass writer!
Chapter Four – Don't Squat With Your Spurs On

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Spike gaped at Buffy, open mouthed, blue eyes blinking slowly, unable to grasp the meaning of her words as they worked their way through his brain.

Heart. Beating. His. Why?

He jerked from the Buffy’s touch, falling back and scrambling away, putting distance between himself and the words that were starting to make terrifying sense. The heartbeat that until that very second he’d be unaware of, took to a gallop, until that sound pounding in his ears was all he could hear; all he could feel.

“Spike?” Buffy leaned forward, reaching one hand out to him. It was a simple gesture of concern, but it seemed to do nothing but galvanize Spike’s anxiety.

“No,” he croaked, backing further from her until the wooden boards of the wagon stopped him. He drew his knees to his chest, wrapping his arms about them, compressing himself into as small as space as he could. His eyes darted about the small confines of the wagon, as if searching for an avenue of escape.

Buffy watched him with growing concern. “Spike, it’s okay.” She wasn’t sure that it was, but it sounded good. Right now, he was scaring her, and she just wanted the wise-cracking, cocky vampire she knew back.

“It’s not bloody okay.” Spike’s wild eyes finally focused back on her, the intensity fairly radiating out of them. “What the fuck is happening to me?”

“I think,” she paused, wetting her lips and moving a hair closer to the trembling vampire. “I think you’re human.”

“Am not!” He gripped his knees tighter and glared at her. “Take that back!”

“What?” Buffy stammered, unable to keep up with the vampire — or ex-vampire’s — mood swings.

“Take it back. Now.” His eyes narrowed at her, and he released one hand to point an accusatory finger at her. “What did you do to me? Ah, Christ, this … this can’t be happening.”

Buffy’s mouth dropped open. Then it snapped shut and she glowered back at him. “I didn’t do anything to you, you stupid vampire. . . . man . . . whatever!.”

His eyes glowed a brilliant blue, even in the dim light, as he focused his fear and anger on the young blonde sitting near him. “Was it the witch? I bet she’s behind all this. Bet you put her up to it—”

“I didn’t put anyone up to anything, Spike.” Buffy took a deep breath. She tried to even her tone, realizing that further annoying the already unstable ex-vampire was not going to get them anywhere. “Look, it must have something to do with this time warp.” She looked around the wagon, then back at Spike. “What time period did say this was?”

She watched him as his muscles relaxed a bit and saw that he was trying to focus on her question. He shook his head, as if to clear it, then mumbled, “Time?”

“Yes,” Buffy nodded. “You said you could tell about what year this was by how that man – how they were all dressed. And this wagon. You called it a Skipper or Scraper or something. Spike, listen. Focus. I think what’s happened to you has something to do with where we are exactly in time.”

Spike’s hands, which were pressed to his chest, moving along with the breaths that his body were forcing upon him now, relaxed a bit. He glanced around the wagon as Buffy just had, his breathing evening out, becoming deeper. Buffy didn’t urge him further by word or movement and simply watched as he appeared to finally be processing what had happened and focusing on what she’d asked him.

After several interminably long moments, a brief flicker of understanding seemed to cross his features. Then, he took a deep breath through his nose and closed his eyes, his chin sinking to his chest.

“What?” Buffy prompted, holding her own breath in anticipation of his reaction.

“It hasn’t happened yet.” He spoke so softly she almost didn’t hear him.

“What hasn’t happened yet?” When he didn’t answer her, she moved closer, tentatively laying a hand on his shoulder. “Spike? What hasn’t happened?”

He looked up at her, his eyes meeting hers for a second before dropping to the floor. “Me. I haven’t happened yet. Bollocks!” He swore softly and pulled away from her, standing to move to the other side of the wagon.

Buffy looked up him, standing in the corner, his back to her. “I don’t understand.”

“The real me, Buffy.” He turned then, the lines of his face painted in shadows. “I haven’t … My best guess is it’s about late 1850’s, which would make it a good 20 years before … before I met Drusilla.”

His meaning finally clear to her, Buffy’s eyes widened and she looked away. She could feel Spike’s gaze upon her as she rose from the floor of the wagon. “So this, here, where we are now, is before she made you into a—”

“Monster,” Spike finished for her, his voice barely more than a whisper in the darkness.

He was still watching her. She couldn’t feel him with her Slayer senses anymore, like she used to, all tingles and soft electric-like pulses up her spine and through her limbs, but she knew his eyes were on her none the less.

“Oh,” was her only response as she tried to process the situation. As much shock as Spike had to be going through at the moment, what with the heart-beating, lungs-breathing issues, Buffy was wandering through her own confusion. She was shocked to look up and find him, once again, standing beside her.

“This might bring up another issue, Buffy.” His voice was gravely, his eyes intense upon her.

His use of her given name caused her to tuck her chin, gathering herself into a defensive posture. “What are you talking about?”

“How are you feelin’?”

She took a step back from him, tilting her head. “I feel fine. What to you mean?”

“I mean, if this little time travel adventures been playing games with me, it might be playin’ with you as well.”

“Ah, I don’t follow you,” she responded.

“Hit me.”

“Excuse me?” She blinked.

“You heard me. Hit me,” Spike growled.

“Spike—”

“Yeah, jus’ like I thought.” He reached down to grab Buffy by the shoulders, dragging her towards him.

“Hey,” she squawked, struggling ineffectually to free herself from his hold.

“Looks like we’re in the same boat, Slay—Buffy.” He caught her fists as they pummeled his chest and hauled her flush against him. Twisting her arms behind her back he effectively pinned her to him.

“What is wrong with you? Let me go,” she huffed, still fighting against him. Ready, at any moment to find the leverage she needed to toss him across the wagon. The moment never materialized.

Spike nearly fell over when Buffy’s frantic struggles suddenly ceased. She quieted against him, her cheek resting against his chest, her breathing harsh and labored. Still wary of her, however, Spike didn’t release the grip about her wrists, waiting for anger to spur her on to another bout.

It never came.

As her breathing slowed, Buffy trembled against him. “You’re hurting me.” Her words were a warm whisper against his throat.

Spike instantly let go of her wrists, but kept his arms around her, as if knowing she’d need the support both physically and emotionally. Bugger this being human! It was already making him soft in the head.

“Sorry, Pet, I couldn’t think of any other way.” He raised an eyebrow when she didn’t immediately move out of the circle of his arms. “Knew you wouldn’t believe it without bein’ shown. You’re jus’ as human as me, from the look of things. This mess of magic has bollocksed us both up it would seem.”

“I’m weak,” Buffy mumbled, her words muffled in the flannel of his shirt.

“Weak?” He smiled, his cheek shifting against the softness of her hair. “I wouldn’t say that. And neither would the bruises you jus’ gave me.”

Buffy relaxed against him, the tension easing from her muscles as whatever fight she had left in her drained away as his words soothed her.

Spike’s senses were overloaded. The warmth of Buffy’s body next to his, the sweet smell of her enveloped him, causing his head to spin. Had she always smelled of jasmine? Had her hair always been this soft? He closed his eyes and tried to will his body not to respond to her; but it was a battle he knew he’d never win. Even now, faced with the knowledge that they were both lost in time, and human to boot, he couldn’t seem to pull away from the magnetic draw she seemed to have over him.

Buffy tried to resist the urge to burrow further into the protection of Spike’s arms. Evil nemesis be damned; she was just plain worn out and his arms felt strong and safe. It briefly occurred to her that finding comfort in his embrace should cause her great concern. But it didn’t, and she just couldn’t find the strength to worry about that now. Exhaustion blanketed her until she felt the very weight of her bones within her skin pulling at her, dragging her down. The futility of trying to figure out the mystery that shrouded her was draining. And now, finding out that the one thing she could always count on–her abilities as a slayer–was gone, she felt like it was the last straw. They were in this together, didn’t that make it okay for her to lean on him, take strength from him?
V
Spike felt Buffy relax against him, felt the weight of her body grow heavier in his arms. She was knocked off her feet, he knew that for certain. As much as he wanted to stand there and hold her, as much as her body in his arms caused him to think of how they would fit together, how her skin would feel under his hands, he knew she needed rest. Hell, they both did. And now, without the distress of the daylight and sunshine to worry about, he knew he could put off his evening exploration and catch a bit of shut-eye himself.

He couldn't begin to understand what was happening between him and the Slayer. The feelings that he was beginning to experience—were they part of this time travel spell? Certainly they had to be. How could it be anything else? The mysteries kept growing and they would both need their wits about them to figure their way of this mess.

“Think we both need to catch some sleep, Buffy. Can’t do anythin’ tonight and maybe the mornin’ will shed some light on our situation, yeah?” Reluctantly Spike loosened his hold on Buffy and stepped back.

“Yes,” she whispered moving away from him. “Sleep sounds good. I don’t ever remember feeling this tired before.”

Bereft of her body to hold and not knowing what else to do with his hands, he shoved them into the pockets of his jeans. “Human now, Pet. Same with me. I think it’s gonna take some getting used to.”

She turned to face him, a worried frown on her face. “I don’t want to get used to it, Spike. I want to go home.”

“We will, Slayer.” He tried to sound confident but was undermined by a yawn he couldn’t quite stifle. “You and me, we’ll take the bull by the horns tomorrow and figure out what’s what.” He looked around cramped space, then back at Buffy. “You take the mattress, Luv; I’ll do okay over here.” He gestured to the few feet of space that lay between the feather tick and the supply barrels.

Too tired to even worry about her clothes, Buffy dropped to her knees onto the canvas covered mattress. Lying on her side, an arm curled under her head as her pillow, she watched as Spike made him self comfortable on the floor of the wagon. The single gas lamp flickered in the darkness as he struggled to pull off his cowboy boots and then spread his black duster onto the floor. He slowly unbuttoned his shirt, shrugging out of the garment and wadding it up to use as a pillow.

The sleek lines and etched muscles of his chest and arms drew her eyes down and her lids grew heavy with something other than sleep as she watched him unbuckle his belt and draw it slowly through the loops of his jeans. Her heart skipped a beat as his hand rested on the button fly and she quickly rolled over to face the side of the wagon.

Suddenly sleep was the last thing on her mind.


To Be Continued
Chapter Five - Buffalo Gals Won't You Come Out Tonight by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my two betas, xyellowroset and Holly for keeping me on the straight and narrow and helping me to not look the fool.
Chapter Five - Buffalo Gals Won't You Come Out Tonight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Spike tossed and turned for a while, the hard wood beneath his duster obviously affording him little comfort. Buffy listened as his breathing began to even out, and before too long she heard the soft snores that heralded his slumber.

Slowly, she rolled over onto her other side, keeping alert to any sign that her movements might have awakened the sleeping vampire.

Ex-vampire.

It was hard for her to think of Spike as anything but the deadly foe she had come to know and loath. Granted these last weeks and months since their victory over Adam had shown him to be useful—but he would never be a trusted ally. He worked for money, blood, and cigarettes—not to save the world, or make it a better place. Not out of the goodness of his heart, but to fill his own pockets, his own needs.

But now that heart was beating.

Spike was human now, and that fact threw a cosmic monkey wrench into Buffy’s orderly view of her fellow time traveler. Spike equals the evil undead. Did a beating heart and active respiratory system really change anything? If either of them wanted to get out of this mystery and back to Sunnydale in one piece, Buffy knew they were going to have to work together. She’d just have to hope that this new found humanity made him just a little bit less of a peroxided pain in her ass.

The object of her musing mumbled something unintelligible in his sleep, and Buffy glanced quickly at this face to see if he’d awoken. He was, thankfully, still asleep, stretched on his stomach, his cheek resting on the rumpled flannel shirt that was now his pillow. One of his arms was stretched out towards her; his fingertips nearly touching the feather tick.

There was no black fingernail polish. No heavy rings graced his fingers. Just pale skin, stretched taut over bone and muscle. Buffy’s eyes wandered along the muscles of his forearms, up to the cut of his bicep. He had strong arms for man as slender as he was.

To be fair, she had to admit Spike was in excellent shape. It was probably the only thing that had kept him dust resistant in their battles against each other. Her gazed moved from his arms, across his shoulders, to the smooth, long muscles of his back as they tapered gently to an elegantly slender waist. The hollow of the small of his back dipped into shadow as it disappeared into the loosened waist-band of his jeans.

This is not good. Lying here contemplating Spike’s jeans and … well, what’s beneath them. She heaved a sigh and rolled onto her back, looking up into the pitch darkness of the wagon cover. Within two minutes she’d figured out that she was just keyed up. Lots of nervous energy and no where to expend it. It had been over week since she’d had a good slay; and longer than that since she’d had quality time with her boyfriend. His job hunt was not going well, and their relationship wasn’t fairing much better. So, here she was, all hyped up and no one to kill … or fuck.

Buffy’s eyes drifted over to Spike’s sleeping form once more. Nibbling at her bottom lip she wondered, not for the first time, where Riley was when she could really use him?

Realizing that no good would come from her current train of thought, Buffy decided to derail it. She slipped silently from the coarse mattress and tiptoed to the entrance of the wagon. Peering cautiously out into the moonlit night, she was greeted with the sight of dying campfires and the sound of the snores of some of her slumbering fellow wagon train passengers. Everyone seemed tucked in for the night, and it didn’t appear that they had anyone walking guard around the perimeter of the campsite.

Gingerly, Buffy hopped from the wagon, landing on the balls of her feet and crouching low. She slowly stood and began creeping around the side of the wagon. She stumbled once before pulling her long skirts up and out of her way, then turned towards the perimeter of the campsite and once again glanced around her.

No time like the present for a little reconnaissance work.


~~~~@@@~~~~



It was the quietness that woke him. Even sleeping in his crypt, there was the constant drone of noise that told you that you lived in a city. The purr of car engines, an occasional too-loud radio and heated conversations. There was always, in the background, ambient noise of some sort or another.

Here there was silence.

Spike had fallen asleep quickly and woke to a deep in the gut, something just wasn’t right feeling. Peering through the murky darkness of the wagon to the feather tick, he found the cause of his concern.

Buffy was gone.


~~~~@@@~~~~



It didn’t take Buffy long to skirt the perimeter of the encampment. She wasn’t sure about the normal size of a wagon train, but this one seemed small. It consisted of a dozen or so wagons and the oxen that pulled them, along with several cows and assorted other livestock. Most of the other travelers appeared to sleep within their wagons, as she and Spike had been doing, but a few slumbered outside on bunk rolls placed close to the fires that had now died down to softly glowing embers.

Buffy was about to turn back towards her wagon when she heard a muffled sound the small copse of trees off to the right of the encampment. Glancing up, she saw that the moon now hung low in the purple streaked sky. Daybreak was fast approaching, and she had a feeling that wagon train travel warranted rising with the sun. Her step quickened as she moved towards the noise that had drawn her attention.

It didn’t take her long to find the source. Although to be truthful, the source actually found her; his voice startling her.

“You won’t find answers out here.”

She approached the man cautiously. He was old, sitting upon the ground, leaning against an even older oak tree.

“I’m sorry,” Buffy offered, “I didn’t mean to disturb you. I just heard—”

“You have not disturbed me. I was just gathering myself for the day, which is about to begin its journey.” His voice was deep and warm and when he looked up at her it was with worn, grey eyes. “You are on a journey as well.”

Buffy nodded. “Yes, my … my husband in I are traveling—”

“He is not as he was. This man of yours.”

“Wait, he’s not my—” Buffy’s eyes widened. “What?”

“He used to take life and blood; now he will give them.” The man nodded to himself, satisfied he’d made himself clear. Rising to his feet he approached Buffy. “I dreamed of you both last night. A fierce warrior with a true heart.”

“Who are you?” Buffy whispered, looking up into his eyes.

He smiled, the lines around his eyes deepening. “I am many people. I am Shamala. I am shaman. I am a guide.”

“Like a spirit guide?” Buffy asked, her eyebrows lifting in surprise.

“No, little one,” the older man laughed, “A train guide. Although in our own way, we are all spirit guides.”

“I’m actually not feeling the spirit guide thing right now,” Buffy allowed herself to smile at the old man. For the first time since beginning this adventure, she felt, somehow, safe. The smile fled her face just as quickly when she saw the countenance of the old man change—his eyes closing, his brow wrinkling.

“She who slays is used to forging her own way, not searching out the hidden paths of fate.” He suddenly reached out to grasp her hand. “There are many changes to be dealt with, many -choices will have to be made. Eneeapah.”

His words and touch shocked her, and Buffy recoiled from him, stumbling in her haste and falling to her knees before him. Her breath came harsh and heavy as she felt the worn, calloused flesh of his fingers brush against her temple, moving through her hair. She looked up at him through the tangle of her hair and stilled.

“The dream was dark, but not so dark that you and your man cannot find your way. But first you must—”

A flash of movement caught the corner of her eye and she turned her head slightly to watch as a lithe figure leapt out of the darkness, a pale fist flashing out to meet the dark skinned jaw of the old man. The sickening, sharp thud of bone on bone sounded and the old man went down in a heap in front of her.

Before she could even figure out exactly what had just happened a pair of strong hands were hauling her to her feet and she was pulled against an equally strong chest. Protective arms wrapped around her, one hand splayed against the small of her back, the other around her neck, gently pushing her head onto the aforementioned chest.

“Are you okay? He didn’t hurt you, did he? Christ, Buffy, talk to me.”

She felt the growling vibrations beneath her cheek as Spike tried to catch his breath. “Let me go, you idiot,” she mumbled against the flannel of his shirt.

Spike pulled back enough to look down into her face, or at least as much of her face as he could see through the tousled hair. “What?”

Buffy pulled the rest of the way out of his arms and took a few steps back from him. Pushing her hair from her face, she quickly knelt beside the fallen man and checked his pulse.

“He’s out cold,” she muttered, then turned burning green eyes to Spike. “I can’t believe you did that.”

“Can’t believe I did what?” Spike howled incredulously. “Saved your sweet little arse is what I did.”

“It didn’t need to be saved . . . I didn’t need to be saved!” Buffy stood and approached him, stopping when she was toe to toe, nose to nose with the fuming ex-vampire.

“You know, you are one stone, cold bitch. No matter what the time period. Bloody Hell! I woke up and you weren’t in the wagon. I come lookin’ for you and find you with this guy and he’s got you on your knees, his hands all over you.”

“His hands were not all over me,” Buffy huffed. “He was—”

“He was what?” Spike growled, jamming his fists into the pockets of his jacket. It seemed a safe place for them at the moment.

Buffy hesitated, frowning. She turned from Spike and walked over and looked down at the old man. “I’m not sure what he was doing. But,” she added quickly as Spike’s mouth opened to speak. “He wasn’t hurting me. I think he was channeling something or reading my aura. He’s a shaman.”

“Fuck.” Spike dropped back another step and gaped at the man on the ground. “He’s not a bloody Chumash, is he?”

“I don’t think so.” They both glanced down to the crotch of Spike’s jeans, then quickly back up at each other. “He’s employed by whoever organized this wagon train. He’s a guide. He’s also some sort of medicine man. A shaman. Spike, it was weird. He knew things.”

“What do you mean he knew things?” His irritation had fought back into first place. “What did he know?”

“Us. Me. Who I am. Who you are. More importantly what you are … or used to be.”

“Slow down, Slayer—”

“See, right there, he called me the Slayer. Well, ‘She Who Slays,’ but close enough. Spike, he knows that we’re not who everyone thinks we are. He said he had a dream about us.”

“A dream?” Spike narrowed his eyes, his brow furrowing. “What else does he know? What else did he say?”

“I think he knows more, but there was this sudden unconsciousness that happened when your fist impacted with his jaw.”

Spike grimaced sheepishly and dug the toe of his boot into the ground. “Cut me a bit o’ a break, Buffy. My eyesight isn’t what it once was, at least not at night and to me, it looked like he was manhandlin’ you.”

“If that were the case—and I want to stress here, it wasn’t—but if it was, I can take care of myself, Spike.”

“Not like you used to … Slayer.” He arched an eyebrow at her. He watched as she frowned, but didn’t disagree with him. “But I promise to try an’ suss out the situation a bit further next time, before dashin’ in to save the day.”

Buffy took a deep breath and forced herself to remember that they were both working their way through a complicated maze. It wasn’t that she wasn’t grateful that he was willing to throw himself into danger to protect her. It was more than odd and, she guessed, something she’d have to find a way to get used to. She reminded herself again, things were not what they once where, and they were going to have to work together to get themselves home.

“Well,” she offered hesitantly. “As dashing goes, it was petty impressive. Just, yeah, next time make sure I’m actually in danger.”

“Will do.” Spike gave her a curt nod, then looked over at the aging shaman as he began to moan and move around a bit. “Now what?”

Buffy followed his line of vision. “Well, it’s almost morning. I say we give the doctor a call.”


To Be Continued
Chapter Six - Horses Dream of Pastures Wide and Free by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks, as always to my betas, holly and eman, who constantly ask me “where’s that next chapter?” Also thanks to all the readers who have taken a moment of their time to post or write to me with comments on the story. I am a feedback whore, why deny it
Chapter Six – Horses Dream of Pastures Wide and Free

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy helped to steady the old man as he slowly rose to his feet. Spike, feeling discretion was the better part of valor, stood off to the side. He did have the decency to look embarrassed, however, when the old man looked his way.

After she made sure there wasn’t any permanent damage, short of the split lip and swollen, bruised jaw already blossoming, Buffy started to brush the mud and leaves from his clothing.

“I’m really sorry about that. We both are.” She glanced quickly to see Spike nod his head apologetically. The uncharacteristic move caught her attention and an eyebrow rose as she studied him.

“Yeah, sorry about that, mate.” Spike’s eyes twitched between the old man’s dark brown gaze and the unusually direct way his partner in time-travel seemed to be studying him.

“You do not need to apologize.” The old man tilted his head, seeming to take Spike’s measurement as a man in his piercing gaze. “You are a protector. A champion. You protect the woman you love. There should never be regret in that.”

“Ah . . . well . . . ” Buffy stuttered out, as Spike raised both eyebrows and pinned her with a look. “Now that you’re on your feet I was wondering if I could ask you a question.” When the old man didn’t respond, she rushed on. “What you were saying, before Spike… ah, Will hit you. What did you mean? You mentioned a dream and finding our way out. Do you remember?”

“Yes, I remember, I—”

“Shay, what in the hell is keeping you. Masterson’s chomping at the bit to be on the move—”
The tall cowboy from the night before stopped dead in his tracks at seeing the older man’s face, bruised and swollen. “What in tarnation happened here?” The soft, gravely voice roughened further with anger.

Before Buffy or Spike could speak, the old man stepped towards the cowboy. “I am fine Matthew. I tripped and fell. These young ones were within shouting distance and came to help me.” He glanced back at the Buffy and Spike, a twinkle in his dark eyes suggested that they keep their mouths shut and let him do the talking.

“You fell? You?” Matthew squinted skeptically at the old man. “Shay, I’ve never seen you take a misstep in my life.”

Shay smiled gently at his young friend. “There is a first time for everything, Matthew; I am not as young as I once was. It was still dark and I was not paying attention.”

“You sure you’re okay?” Matthew came closer to his friend, frowning at the injury that marked the older man’s face. He turned to Buffy and Spike, his concern apparent. “Thanks, Will, Elizabeth. Glad you were around to help Shay out.”

“Oh, ah, we really didn’t do anything.” Buffy bit her lip, casting her eyes down in a look that she hoped appeared humble, rather than guilty. She snuck a glance out of the corner of her eye at Spike who seemed to have adopted a deer in the headlights look.

To both Buffy and Spike’s relief, Matthew turned his attention back to his friend. “You okay to get back to camp? You need to ride in one of the wagons today?”

“No, Matthew, I am fine.” Shay smiled at his friend, then turned back to Buffy and Spike. “I will finish that story I was telling you later.”

“Story.” Buffy frowned, her eyebrows drawing together in confusion.

Matthew chuckled. “Shay boring you with more of his old Indian stories? He has a million of them, you know. Best watch out or you’ll be hearing them all.”

Buffy’s eyes widened and she nodded her head. “Stories, yes, he was telling one of his stories.” She turned to look at Shay who wore an enigmatic smile on his weathered face. “I hope you can finish the one you were telling us soon.”

Shay simply nodded his head and turned to walk back towards the campsite.

“You might not want to encourage him. He can be a long-winded old coot. Not that his yarns aren’t interestin’. Was once a pretty important medicine man in his tribe. They said he had the vision.” Matthew turned towards Spike, the looked back over his shoulder to where Buffy stood. “You two gonna tell me what you were doing up and out before dawn this morning?”

“Buf—Beth was feelin’ a bit closed in. Thought we’d catch some air,” Spike offered up, moving over to Buffy and winding an arm around her waist to pull her close to his side.

Matthew rolled his eyes, trying to bite back a smile. “Save me from spoonin’ love birds.”

Spike pulled Buffy just a bit closer and nuzzled into her hair. He could feel Buffy tense in his arms and he curled his fingers a little tighter into her waist. “Calm now,” he whispered. He cast a glance at Matthew and tossed him a crooked grin. “You caught us, Matthew. Just wanted to take a walk with my darlin’ before we got movin’ this morning.”

Buffy drew in a deep breath and willed herself to relax in Spike’s arms. But old habits die hard and her slayer senses, while no longer fueled by whatever supernatural forces once drove her, were still screaming in her head that this was just wrong. On so many levels.

She shivered and didn’t know if it was because of the pressure of Spike’s thigh so intimately pressed against hers, or from the cool of morning. She hoped it was the temperature of the air and not the proximity of the ex-vampire, but she was afraid she’d lose that bet. Her body betrayed her again and she trembled, only to find herself pulled into the circle of Spike’s arms. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Matthew rumbled with laughter, turning to head back to camp. “Will, I don’t care if you are honeymooners, you better not keep us waiting or Masterson’s gonna have a piece your hide. See you back at camp.”

Buffy waited until the cowboy was out of sight before pulling herself free of Spike’s embrace.

“Okay, Handy McVampire, what’s with the gropage?” She turned from him, using the time to straighten her dress and calm her nerves. She could feel the flame of her cheeks and the too fast pitter pat of her heart in her chest.

Spike shot her a vintage smirk, coming up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. pulling her back snug against his chest. “That’s Handy Mc-Ex-vampire, to you, missy. Oh, guess that would be Missus. Missus Throckmorton. Rolls trippin’ly off the tongue, heh?”

Buffy struggled against his hold but stopped when she realized that this was a fight she wasn’t currently capable of winning. “Look, Mr. Throckmorton—”

Her grumble was cut short by Spike’s belly laugh, his body vibrating against hers, his arms tightening about her until she could feel his belt buckle pressed against the small of her back. It was large and hard. She hoped it was his belt buckle. She scrunched up her face, willing her mind from the dark road it was headed. Fire pretty.

“We’re newlyweds to these prats. And even if it looks like we won’t be here long, best we keep up with appearances, no matter how … hard it might be.” He emphasized his words with a slight shift of his hips against her buttocks.

“You are vile,” Buffy hissed, twisting out of his arms.

Spike released her, dancing back and away from her now flailing fists. “Flattery will get you -- oh, hell, it won’t get you anywhere, luv, but I adore hearin’ it.”

Catching her fists in his hands, Spike drew her up against him, and Buffy realized quickly that it hadn’t been his belt buckle pressing in to her. Before the thought could germinate, Spike smiled down into her stormy eyes, biting his lower lip provocatively. A flash of memory hit her in the gut. Sitting on his lap, kissing him, while Willow’s spell wove itself about them. Must not focus on lips of Spike

“What do you mean we may not be here long? What’s up with you, Spike?” Buffy’s face flushed a brighter red as she instantly regretted her words and battened down for a lewd remark.

Instead she got another chuckle. “Don’t you get it, Slayer? We’re gettin’ outta here. We found our ticket out of here and back to Home Sweet Hell-Mouth.”

She narrowed her eyes at him. “Have you gone insane? It must be the sunlight. It’s been a hundred years since you were in daylight and it’s just made you all wonky, right?”

“It’s not that, Buffy. Although I have to admit, this sunlight business is a bit of alright.” Spike murmured, squinting at the horizon at the rising star.

Without warning, Spike released her wrists and stepped back from her, leaving her strangely bereft of his touch.

He looked at her quizzically. “You’re the one that found him. The old man. You heard what Matthew said. A bigwig shaman. With visions, no less. And he’s had a dream about us. Knew you, right off. Betcha he’s got some answers for all our questions. Betcha he’s holdin’ our ticket outta here.”

“That’s a lot of betting, Spike. For all we know he’s just some old geezer reeling senility in with both hands.” A small surge of guilt tugged at her as she watched the grin fade from the ex-vampire’s face. “Look, I just don’t want us to get our hopes up, that’s all.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Spike nodded. “You’re right.” At her smug smile, he continued, “But I’m right when I say we have to keep up appearances. Could tell that Matthew was wondering about us this morning. No need to draw more attention to ourselves than necessary.”

“Oh and all the touchy-feely and kissage isn’t attention drawing?” Buffy huffed.

“We’re newlyweds, Slayer. Two young lovers. People are gonna notice us not being near each other, touching, holding hands. Besides, this day an’ age a woman didn’t go wanderin’ too far away from her husband’s protection—“

“Excuse me?” Buffy glared at him, her hands planted on her hips. “You did not just say that.”

Spike took in a deep breath, releasing it slowly. “Not sayin’ it was right, Buffy, just sayin’ how it was. How it is.”

Buffy snorted, tilting her chin into the air. “Well, Buster, you can bet that I’m not gonna be wandering around attached to your coat tails.” At his look of frustration, she relented a bit, moving from full-throttle glare to mid-sized glower. “Fine, okay, I’ll try to watch myself and be a bit more chronologically attuned in the girl department. But can we keep the fondling and kissing to a minimum?”

Shrugging, Spike said, “Don’t see why not. A few well-placed public displays of affection should hold us.” The ex-vampire turned to head back to the campsite. Looking over his shoulder he added, “Anyway, there wasn’t any kissing.”

Buffy frowned, moving to follow him. “No kiss? Are you sure?”

Spike smiled and kept walking, hearing the rustle of her skirts as she moved to catch up with him. “There was no kiss.” When she fell in beside him, he turned to look at her with a sly grin and one raised brow. “Trust me, Buffy, when I kiss you, there won’t be any doubt.”

Spike lengthened his stride, jumping over a fallen log and jogging off to camp, leaving Buffy to contemplate his words.

To Be Continued
Chapter Seven - Hitch Your Wagon to a Star by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my betas, eman and holly for all their hard work!
Buffy watched as Spike pried the mouth of the large draft horse open, inspecting whatever it was he was inspecting. The horse’s teeth looked like big yellow Chiclets to her, although Spike obviously found them adequate as he nodded brusquely and moved to run his hands up the horse’s muzzle to tweak an ear. His slender fingers fumbled with the bridle, checking the buckle, before moving down through the bristly mane to the animal’s massive shoulders and along the heavy legs.

Spike kneaded and prodded the tendons and sinews of the horse’s leg, and Buffy found the motion of his long, slender fingers utterly fascinating. When he bent over, pushing against the horse and lifting its leg to inspect the hoof, Buffy’s eyes were almost magnetically drawn to the faded denim that hugged his backside. Something caught her eye and she peered closer, focusing on a small rip near one of the back pockets, she quickly averted her eyes, whirling around and away from the flesh peaking at her through the worn jeans.

Did men not wear underwear in this time period? She raised an eyebrow at the thought, turning to look back over her shoulder at Spike’s nicely displayed butt. She shook her head and turned away once more.

“What are you doing?” She turned to walk towards the horse’s tail – figuring that rump was a lot safer than the one she’d been ogling.

Spike looked up, squinting at her in the early morning sunlight. “Just checkin’ under the hood and kickin’ the tires. Want to know what I’m dealing with before we head out.”

“You really know what you’re doing.” It was a statement, not a question, and was accompanied by a petulant frown. Somehow he was fitting into this timeframe much better than she was and it annoyed her.

Spike grinned and went back to poking at the spongy underside of the horse’s hoof. “In my day, Slayer, this was the best mode of transportation. Had quite a nice stable. Not like these,” he said, patting the immense creature on the shoulder as he dropped the hoof back down to the ground. “Thoroughbreds, Hackneys. Carriage horses. Had a beautiful matched set of bays.”

Buffy raised a slender brow. “A matched set of what?”

Spike smirked at her over his shoulder. “Mind outta the gutter, Slayer. Bays. A color of horse, like mahogany. A matched set are two identical, right down to the blaze on their nose and socks on their feet.”

“Horses wear socks?”

Spike dropped his forehead to the horse’s back. “Slayer,” he sighed.

“Stop calling me that,” she hissed, stepping up next to him.

“Fine,” he said, drawing himself to his full height. “Elizabeth, my darling, you can’t possible be that daft. Better?”

She huffed and twirled around, settling to lean up against the horse’s flank. “I just hate this. I hate being here. I hate dressing like this. I hate that I now smell like Eau de Flicka. Mostly I hate the fact that you seem to fit in just fine and I’m like this big, old, sore thumb.”

Spike’s smile softened a bit. “You’re not a sore thumb, Buf—Beth.” He looked around at the hustle and bustle that surrounded them. Everyone was harnessing their horses and oxen and packing up to move on. No one was paying them particular notice, but better safe than sorry. He leaned in to her, reaching up to tuck a stray hair behind her ear, then tugged at the ties of the cotton sunbonnet that was hanging down her back. “Best put this on or you’ll get yourself a nice burn.”

Buffy fumbled with the bonnet. “Sorry, I didn’t mean turn into Pity Party Buffy with matching accessories. I’m just feeling a bit out of my element.”

“That’s okay,” Spike murmured, watching as she struggled with the bow under her chin. “Today’s gonna be the worst, yeah? But we’ll suss things out quick and, just watch, we’ll both be fittin’ in before you know it.”

She returned his smile half-heartedly. “I guess. I just wish we could find a chance to talk with Shay.”

Chucking her under the chin, he turned back to checking the harness once more. “We’ll get our chance. Maybe this evenin’ when we set camp. In the meantime, let me give you leg-up.”

Buffy hitched her skirts up to her knees, as Spike bent to grab her heel, hoisting her onto the wooden plank that served as the wagon's seat. Grabbing hold of the side rail and the front support of the wagon, he placed his foot on the front wheel and pulled himself up into the wagon, plopping down next to Buffy.

Pushing her skirts out of the way, he reached for the reins and then for the lever to release the brake on the wagon wheel. As the brake gave, the wagon began to roll forward slowly, the two giant horses straining at the collars of their harness to begin the momentum.

They were approximately in the middle of the wagon train and Spike made a large arching circle before coming up behind the wagon he was to follow. The Turners, if he remembered correctly. He’d caught their name over a quick cup of something they called coffee, but that bore only passing resemblance to the 20th century brew with which he was familiar, before harnessing the horses and preparing the wagon for departure. They seemed a nice family; a father, mother and two young boys. Frank, the father seemed amicable and Spike figured he’d hang close to the man and take whatever cues he could from him. It had been a very long time since he’d sat a wagon and he’d never driven a draft team.

At the thought his hands tighten on the reins and both horses threw their heads up, nickering and whinnying their displeasure.

“Easy there, Will.”

Spike glanced over to find Matthew on horseback, keeping pace beside them.

The dark haired cowboy tipped his hat at Buffy and looked back to Spike. “Don’t worry, son, you’ll get the hang of it. There are a few in this train that haven’t driven wagons this size before. Slow and easy does it. Let me know if you need anything.” Matthew dug his spurs into the flanks of his horse and galloped away, a cloud of dust trailing after him.

Buffy wiggled on the seat next to Spike. “I could use a pillow … or two. Could they have made this seat any more uncomfortable?”

~~~~~@@~~~~~


Six hours and a mere twelve miles later the seat that had started off being mildly uncomfortable had turned into a veritable torture chamber.

Buffy was settled, for the moment, on her left hip, relieving some of the pressure on her spine from the jolting ride. When the wagon hit another rock, she grunted in pain and gritted her teeth.

Spike mopped the sweat from his brow with his shirt sleeve and turned to look at his companion. “You okay there, Slayer?”

Buffy squirmed a bit more and glanced over at him with a very uncharitable look. “Oh, just fine and dandy. It’s not like I really needed those vertebra.”


“I feel your pain, luv,” The ex-vampire grumbled, scooting up on the bench a bit. “This rig makes the Desoto’s suspension seem like a Rolls Royce.”

A dry gust of wind caught the brim of Buffy’s bonnet and she clamped her hand on top of her head to keep it from flying off. “Yeah, never thought I’d actually miss that old bag of rolling rust.” She glanced over at him again. “How are your hands?”

His fingers reflexively tightened on the reins as he looked down at his leather clad hands. “Not too bad. Glad you found these gloves. Saved me a layer of skin or two.” He took his hat off and again wiped the sweat from his face, then pulled the Stetson back low over his brow.

Buffy watched as Spike flapped the reins, chucking to the horses to keep them moving up the low but steady incline they were following. Like her, his clothes and face were covered in dust. His skin had reddened, even with the protection of the hat. Wind burn, he’d told her, was just as bad as sun burn. It looked like he was proving his point the hard way.

Spike shook his head slightly and tried to blink the sweat that was getting into his eyes. Buffy’s fingers fiddled with the cloth flour sack she held in her lap, resisting the sudden urge she had to reach over and wipe his face clean. She’d found the tattered piece of fabric, along with the leather gloves, tucked in what she learned was the jockey box; a small storage area that hung to one side of the wagon. Spike had taken the gloves thankfully and told her to keep the cloth and use it when the dust kicked up. Both items had more than come in handy.

The terrain was rough and the horses needed a lot of encouragement to keep moving, and more importantly, keep moving in the direction they needed them to go. Unfortunately this encouragement came at the expense of Spike’s shoulders, arms, and hands, as he used all of his strength to guide and goad the animals along. Buffy had been annoyed, at first, having to be the one to wear the petticoats, being weighed down with yards of homespun to her ankles. Now, watching Spike work the horses, she felt embarrassingly thankful to be able to hide behind the protection of her skirts.

“Fuck,” Spike exclaimed, removing his hat again to wipe at his eyes. “Damn it all to bloody hell. That stings.”

Quickly Buffy reached behind her into the wagon, dipping the cloth into a small water cask she’d been using to fill their canteen. She scooted closer to Spike her fingers grabbing his chin to turn his face towards her. “Here,” she murmured, using the cool cloth to wipe his brow, over his eyes and, finally, his cheeks. He simply watched her, blinking slowly, as she mopped at his face until she was satisfied and then unfolded the cloth and laid it across the back of his neck.

Resting her hands back in her lap she looked at him, a small smile quirking the corners of her lips. “There, that better?”

He blinked again, once. “Yes. Much.” He hesitated a moment, then returned her smile. “Thank you, luv.”

Buffy’s smile softened as their gazes caught. It seemed like hours, but was mere moments, as green and blue held steady. Buffy was the one to look away first, ducking her head and then looking back at the bleak landscape. “No problemo. I wouldn’t want you running us off a mountain or into a buffalo or something, just because you couldn’t see.”

Spike dragged his eyes away from her profile, his teeth catching his lower lip. He gazed at the rolling backsides of the horses and chucked the reins to speed them up. “Right. Well, glad to see you’re not goin’ soft on me, Slayer.”

“Me?” Buffy asked, glancing at him from the corner of here eye. Her smile reappeared, briefly, before she turned her eyes from him again. “Getting soft? On you? Never.”

To Be Continued
Chapter Eight - An' Souls That Cry For Water by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much to my betas, xyellowroset and Holly for a fast, but thorough beta. You guys arre the absolute best!
“You are truly hopeless, you know that?” Buffy crawled across the feather tick mattress gingerly on her hands and knees, the voluminous cotton nightgown she’d found in a one of the small trunks, covering her from neck to toes.

“Was being a good Samaritan, Slayer.”

Buffy gave a very unladylike snort and flopped down onto her stomach. “You were flirting, Spike.”

It was Spike’s turn to snort and he did so in an indignant fashion. “Was not! The girl needed help. She’s lost her husband, travelin’ alone, what was I supposed to do?”

“Oh, please,” Buffy rolled her eyes at him. “You nearly tripped over your own feet trying to get to her. Besides, she couldn’t, like, fix it herself?”

“A broken wagon wheel?” Spike asked incredulously.

“Hey, I learned how to fix a flat in Driver’s Ed.”

“Too bad they didn’t teach you how to drive,” Spike mumbled, dropping down to sit cross-legged near the side of the mattress. No nightgown had been found for him, only a few extra pare of jeans and some thread-bear work shirts. Normally this wouldn’t have concerned him in the least, as he slept in the buff, but with the closed, shared quarters, it was out of the question. But living in his clothes night and day would get old soon enough. He figured once the lights were out he’d skim out of his jeans to sleep—what Buffy didn’t know, couldn’t hurt her … or him.

“What was that?” Buffy lifted her head from where she had nestled it in the crook of her crossed arms.

“Never mind, Slayer. It was a bloody wagon wheel needed replacin’. Not some Firestone comes off with a lug wrench. Just did what any other red-blooded man would do.”

“You’re not—”

“Am now, so don’t get your knickers in a twist. What’s it to you anyway? No skin off your perky little nose.” Even with her cheek back resting on her arm, he could see her lower lip beginning to pout. “Got back here in time to unhitch the wagon, didn’ I?”

“Well, yes,” Buffy sulked. Then her head shot up again, and she glared at him. “But I had to feed the horses.” At his raised brow, the infamous lower lip reappeared. “I almost lost a finger,” she whined.

“Lemme see,” Spike slipped into a grin, leaning forward to grab the hand now curled under her chin.

His hands felt warm and strong around her own and although she knew she should, she didn’t pull free of his grasp and actually sat up, facing him, so he could get a better look at her hands.

“Yup,” Spike nodded, thoroughly investigating her fingers. “They do look a bit like carrots; can’t say as I blame the beasts.”

“Oh,” Buffy huffed, trying to pull her fingers free of his grip.

He’d have none of it however, holding her hand firmly within both of his. “Looks like when we get home you’re gonna have to make an appointment for a manicure.”

“Yeah,” Buffy stopped tugging at her hand and watched as his fingers worked over delicate bones with a gentle massage that felt surprisingly soothing. “Frontier life, I’m finding, pretty much sucks.”

Spike chuckled, but didn’t look up from his ministrations. He turned her hand in his, pressing and releasing his thumbs in the soft meat of her palm, feeling as the tension begin to seep from her muscles.

It had been a long day—the first of, possibly, many like it before they found their way home. While neither he nor the Slayer were slouches with regards to physical fitness, they were still far more fragile than they once were. Add to that the rigors of wagon train travel, and Spike realized that it wasn’t going to be easy to make it through this adventure in one piece. And they only had each other to rely on. Considering that two days ago they could barely stand to be in the same room for more than five minutes, he figured they done pretty damn well – but he’d be kidding himself if he thought it was going to get easier.

“Take it you didn’t get a chance to talk with Shay?” His fingers absently wandered, pushing up the loose fabric of the sleeve of her nightgown to stroke the tanned flesh of her forearms.

“No,” Buffy breathed deeply, trying not to think too much about why his hands felt so good, so soothing, when in the past they’d seemed only threatening, something to cause pain. Her eyes went from the fingers plying her flesh to the top of his head. He seemed so intent on his task, still not looking up at her. “Did you?”

The blue of his eyes, as they shifted up to meet hers, at first startled her. Even in the dim light of the oil lamp, their intensity shone vividly. Maybe it was the contrast to his skin, which was already slightly darker. Even in this he seemed to be doing better at adapting than she; tanning gracefully, the slight squint lines around his eyes framing the ocean blue to perfection. It simply wasn’t fair.

But even after only one day, Buffy did have to concede that this exact ability—to fit in—had made all the difference. There was no way in hell she could have faked her way through everything that had been thrown at her in this world; yet Spike had stepped up to the plate and made it look, if not easy, at least doable. More importantly, all the while, never once making her feel inadequate because of her lack of expertise.

It was more than a little overwhelming, seeing Spike in such a different light. Hell, seeing him in any light at all! But there it was. This adventure, or whatever it was to be called, had turned the tables on both of them. Thrown them for a loop and knocked them off their feet. That they were both still standing—albeit somewhat wobbly and a bit unsteadily—was a testament to both their wills. They’d both said, at the onset, that they’d have to work together—she just never imagined it possible. Now, with the darkness gathering behind their first day, she was beginning to think that just maybe they’d make it through this. The fact that Spike had something to do with that optimism was what surprised her the most.

“Did I. . . what?”

The sound of his voice, deeper and more gravely than she remembered it being, drew her from the depths of his eyes. She refocused, thinking it safer, on his mouth.

Bad choice.

His tongue peaked out and ran along his bottom lip, moistening it, before curling up to rest, provocatively behind his teeth.

She took a deep breath, her mouth opening to speak, yet she couldn’t seem to find the words beyond the image of his lips and his eyes and feel of his fingers on her arms. Finally, she raised her eyes back to his and managed to mumble a barely coherent and more than slightly lame, “What what?”

Spike’s raised brow seemed to pull Buffy out of her fog and she shook her head. “Sorry,” she smiled slightly. “I’m more out of it than I thought. Shay. Did you get a chance to talk with him yourself?”

“No.” He shook his head. “Got the feelin’ there isn’t a hell of a lot of socializing that gets done. But we at least know his morning routine. I’m gonna get up early and see if I can catch him. That don’t work, Katie said she’d let him know we were lookin’ speak with him.”

“Katie?” The left corner of Buffy’s mouth quirked down into a frown. “Oh, right, ‘Miss My Wagon Wheel Broke Can Some Big Strong Cowboy Come Help Me Fix It' Katie. What does she have to do with Shay?”

Spike narrowed his eyes, a sly smile tugging at his lips. “If I didn’t know any better, Slayer, I’d say you were jealous.”

Buffy’s mouth fell open and she stared at him for a second in abject horror. “Jealous,” she sputtered. “I am most certainly not jealous of some little wild west ho-bag.”

Spike’s smile deepened, his fingers now slipping under the nightgown to press into her biceps. “Shouldn’t be. There’s not a thing for you to be jealous over.”

“Right.” Buffy nodded curtly, then narrowed her eyes at him. “Not that I’d be jealous even if you were acting like some moony-eyed, love-stuck, cowpoke. Which, by the way, you totally are. And you didn’t answer my question: what does she have to do with Shay?”

He bit his bottom lip in an attempt to stifle his smile. “Seems he’s takin’ her under his wing, so to speak. Like I said, she’s a young widow, trying to make this trip all on her lonesome. She needs help from time to time, so people pitch in. Wouldn’t hurt you to try to be a bit more understandin'.”

“Oh, I think you’re being understanding enough for both of us.” She glared at him again, but leaned into the caress of his fingers as they moved back to her elbows. “NOT that I’m jealous, of course. It’s just that, well, we are supposed to be newlyweds. How does it look with you running after her all hot and bothered? Besides, when did you grow a conscience?”

The words were out before she could draw them back in. They hadn’t spoken of exactly what his new found humanity entailed, finding other more immediately issues to address. The one-sided fight with Shay had shown them the chip was, at the least, not functioning, if not totally absent, and neither was surprised at that turn of events. From all signs he looked like he had regressed back to what he’d been before being turned, which meant no chip. But did that include his getting his soul back? It had crossed her mind, but she hadn’t wanted to face that particular issue yet, much less take part in a discussion about it with the ex-vampire in question.

Spike’s eyes darkened as he watched the flood of emotion across Buffy’s face. His smile faltered, his chin jutting forward a bit. “Grew it along with the heartbeat, I suppose.”

“Yeah,” Buffy murmured. “I’m sorry—”

“Nothin’ to be sorry about.” Spike pursed his lips and drew his hands down Buffy’s arms, taking hold of both of her hands in his. “Not like both of us weren’t wonderin’.”

“So, you’re sure?” she asked hesitantly, not wanting to push, yet not wanting to back away.

He blew out a breath, looking from where their hands were joined, up into her worried eyes. “Pretty sure. Been tryin’ not to think on it too much, seems we’ve got enough problems to deal with without takin’ time to contemplate my navel.”

She frowned, blinking at him. “I hope you don’t think I’d consider you worrying about your soul to be self-indulgent.”

“Not sure what it would be … but right now, I know we just don’t have the time. Soul or no soul, we have to find our way out of this mess,” he stated, unable to keep the weariness from his voice.

“I know, Spike, but—”

“No 'buts' about it, Slayer. We can talk about this more after we find out what happened to us, and more importantly, how to get us back home.”

“I guess,” she started, then finished with a yawn she wasn’t able to fight back.

“See there? Already been up too late, with an early mornin’ and another hard day ahead of us. Lie back down,” Spike said, his hands moving overtop of her nightgown to her shoulders, urging her to stretch back out onto her stomach.

“What?” Buffy tensed, but followed his gentle prodding.

“You’re tied in knots, Buffy, just gonna help you relax a bit, so you can sleep.” His voice soothed over her and against her better instincts she allowed herself to be swept along with it.

At the touch of his fingers along her shoulders Buffy’s muscles and nerves sang with relief. She really hadn’t realized how very exhausted, achy, and scared she was until he started kneading her tired flesh. They were both, it seemed, standing at the precipice of something big. Large and looming, their future was anything but stable and neither knew what the next day would bring; what peril they might have to face to find their way home. Or even if they’d be able to get home, back to their own time. Strangely, however, as her eyes drifted closed and her mind started weaving dreams, it occurred to Buffy that, at this moment, she felt safe. It was that feeling, of being tended to and cared for that let her drift off, gathering the strength she’d need for what lay ahead.

To Be Continued
Chapter Nine - The Soft Word Your Cruel Lips Will Never Say by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks to eman and Holly, two of the best betas a girl could hope for!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike could feel Buffy fall asleep, her body relaxed under his hands, her breathing evened out, becoming deeper. He was glad to see her getting the rest. It had been an incredibly taxing day for both of them. Life in this era was physically challenging, but also, for them, mentally draining. Adding the burden of constantly have to keep up the guise of a young frontier couple to the grueling labor, blistering heat, and dust clogging one’s ears, eyes, and nose, was the straw that just might break their backs.

Watching her today, fighting the pain and fatigue from sitting the on wagon for hour after hour, he could do nothing but admire her spirit and fortitude. It shook him to the core, these feelings that were tracing through his system. Still, working with her, instead of against her—
on a deep, deep level—didn’t seem right to him. But it was quickly becoming more than that. There was something about her that seemed to draw him in. Even when he wanted to stay angry, growling and cranky, she’d say something, do something, and he couldn’t help himself, he found himself moved by her. He’d find himself smiling despite his better nature.

He’d actually been concerned for her today. Worrying about her as the sun reached its zenith and he could see the signs of heat exhaustion beginning to take their toll on her newly human stamina. It had only been a few days ago when something like that would have caused him to chuckle with glee. Now, it just made him feel antsy. Nervous. Like something was crawling under his skin and he just couldn’t figure out how to get the feeling to stop.

Was it the soul?

Did he even have his soul now? He’d told Buffy he had, but in reality, he wasn’t sure. There was something stirring, deep down inside him. Something that was bringing up feelings and memories he had long since consigned to the wasteland of his past. Something that was making him think about things in a different way. But then again, it could just be disorientation from the time shift.

It wasn’t as if he was being haunted. He wasn’t drowning in guilt, knee deep in the misery of the memory of every soul he’d hastened off to heaven, or to hell. When he’d taken the time to think about Angel’s predicament—which, granted, wasn’t often—he usually envisioned his grandsire enduring grinding and unending torment in payment for every evil deed. Surely that’s what would be happening to him, now, if he’d gotten his soul back.

It was obviously a mystery that wasn’t going to be solved overnight. It wasn’t like there was some measurement that one could take to determine the presence of a soul. It seemed not to matter if his soul had been returned, along with his humanity, or if it was simply the that they were thrown together in a life or death situation – in either case, Spike was finding himself attracted to Buffy.

No doubt about it, he’d always found the chit to be absolutely enticing. Long strands of tawny hair, flying fists, snarky comebacks, all combined to make her, in his eyes, an irresistible parry to his thrust. He’d often, even with Dru lying beside him, fantasized about fucking the Slayer just before striking the death blow. She was a tasty morsel, no matter how you looked at it. But while that languid lust was still there, making his cock hard beneath the soft denim of his jeans, it was no longer mingled with blood lust. At least not the kind of blood lust that ended with Buffy drained dry and dropping limply to the ground at his feet. He still longed to taste her, even in this human guise, but now that craving was tempered with the need to see her safe, to hold her close, and to protect her.

Once again he was destined to be love’s bitch. Only this time he was falling for the Queen Bitch.

Bloody pathetic wanker!

He shuddered at the thought of losing his heart to this girl, pulling his hands away from the warmth of her shoulders for fear he would wake her.

It just wasn’t right. She was his natural enemy – both of them prey and predator to each other.
Besides, if she found out she’d chew him up and spit him out. If she even had an inkling that he was beginning to have feelings for her that weren’t intimately related to revulsion and hatred, she’d hand him his liver on a platter. He’d not only end up being tormented for his weakness, he knew, deep in his heart, that if this one every truly got her hands on his heart, she’d own it, lock, stock, and barrel . . . forever. He’d be her bloody lapdog, happy for any crumb she tossed him.

No way was he going to let that happen … soul or no soul. He didn’t have much dignity left, but what little he had he was holding on to with his fingernails. No bloody way was he possibly gaining a soul, only to lose his heart in the deal.

He stared down at the sleeping Slayer, trying with every bit of evil he could muster, could remember, to stir up and maintain his anger. He scowled, his eyes narrowing, as he tried to recall every time she’d gotten in the way of his carefully laid plans, every time she’d managed to pull victory over him out of the hands of defeat, every time she kicked his ass from here to Sunnydale.

He was just managing to work up a good head of steam when Buffy sighed in her sleep, rolling from her stomach on to her side and tucking her tiny fist under her chin. She hadn’t fastened all the buttons of her prim white night gown, and the neckline fell open enough for him to see the soft swell of her right breast as it pressed into the mattress.

Spike’s mouth fell open, his eyes widening as he took in the sight. She was, he thought, like a sweet, golden kitten; all that was missing was the purr – and the claws. Just then, Buffy emitted a soft snore and rolled onto her back, one arm flung across the mattress towards him, her small fingers curled into the palm of her hand as it rested against his knee.

He looked down at her hand.

The hand that he’d been holding, only a short time ago.

The hand that now, it would seem, held his heart.

And in that moment, in his heart, that was now beating double-time in his chest, and in his soul, where ever it may reside, he knew . . . he was screwed.

To Be Continued
Chapter Ten (Revised) - Cowboys Dance With The Farmers' Daughters by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks to eman and holly and psubra for their help. A special thank you to eman for giving me the kick in the pants to rewrite this chapter and make it better

As I always say -- I am a feedback whore -- loved it, liked it, hated it, I want to hear it all.
Chapter Ten – Cowboys Dance With The Farmers' Daughters


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


She moved towards him, her skirts swaying with the movement of her hips. But he knew it was more than that. His sisters used to practice that walk. Shoulders back, chin high, toes pointed in, so that their gowns would sway seductively as they entered the ballroom. This woman had practiced too; he could tell.

She was beautiful, and she knew it. This he could also tell. She held herself with a confidence that could only come from knowing, no matter who was in the room, no matter how many other women there were vying for attention, all eyes would be on her.

Right now, his eyes were on her. He couldn’t help it, really. He was a man, after all. Even more so, now with his heart pumping, his flesh warm. She smiled as she saw him approach, the small, dainty tip of her tongue slipping out to wet her lips. In that brief moment, he felt his cock harden beneath the stiff denim of his jeans. Vampire or human, some things never change.

“William.” She looked as if she was about to reach out a hand to him, but then thought better of it. Instead she clasped her hands together in front of her. “It’s so kind of you to pay a visit this morning.”

Spike tipped his hat, tugging the brim of the black Stetson lower over his brow. “Just wanted to make sure your wagon was set to rights before we needed to take off.”

Katie Monroe pursed her lips and looked to be appraising him. He wondered exactly what she would calculate his worth to be.

“Well, that was mighty kind of you.” Her eyes sparkled and her gaze met and matched his, as if daring Spike to look away.

Her soft, syrupy southern drawl seemed to envelop him and he felt even more of his newly pumping blood head south of the border. He shoved his hands in the pockets of his duster, pulling the coat closed over the evidence of his arousal.

From the first fluttering of her eyelashes, the first touch of her hand on his sleeve as she’d stood beside him while he fixed her wagon’s wheel, Spike had known that this woman’s charms had been finely honed. He’d no doubt that she’d used them – and her beauty – to get what she wanted many times before.

And from the look she was giving him, she apparently wanted him.

“As I told you yesterday, I don’t have much, but please let me offer you something for your services.” The shawl she had wrapped around her shoulders, dropped lower, hanging from the crooks of her elbows and gently hugging the curve of her ass.

And a fine ass it was, Spike thought, an eyebrow quirking. He suspected that her idea of payment had nothing to do with money; she was letting him get a bit of a look at just what she had to offer.

“A cup o’ coffee would be nice.” He kept his smile friendly, but nothing more. He was, for all intents and purposes, a married man. At least the Widow Monroe thought so. He wasn’t sure exactly what game she was playing, but for right now he wanted to keep his cards close to the vest. Besides, no use giving Buffy a bigger stick to beat him over the head with.

Katie’s smile faded slightly, her eyes narrowing just a bit. She wasn’t the type of woman who was used to being turned down, and it seemed she wasn’t quite sure what to make of this blond, English, cowpoke. “Of course. I have some on the fire; let me get you a cup.”

Spike watched as she bent to retrieve the dented tin pot from the ashes of her campfire. She was wearing a dingy white blouse tucked loosely into the waistband of her dark brown skirt. The collar of the blouse lay open, the top buttons undone, and at this angle he was afforded a tantalizing glimpse of the long line of her throat and décolletage.

There was a hint of cleavage. Nothing one would consider too risqué, just an edge of lace, a flash of camisole, following the lush curve of a breast. Her skin was pale, almost translucent, not a mark, not a freckle to be seen. When she straightened, turning to pour the hot liquid into a tin mug, Spike’s gaze moved to her hands. They too were smooth, flawless. Her nails were neat and filed into a delicate oval. These were not the hands of a farmer’s wife. She didn’t have the skin of a woman used to hard labor.

“Sugar?”

Katie’s voice startled him and he realized he’d been caught daydreaming. He averted his eyes, as any gentleman would, and took the cup of coffee, cradling it in the palms of his hands. “Sorry,” he offered, hoping he sounded properly aghast that he’d been caught sneaking a peek. “We didn’t get a lot of sleep last night.”

He regarded her raised eyebrows and slightly shocked expression. “Oh, no, I didn’t mean . . . what I meant was, I didn’t get a lot of sleep last night. Buf—Elizabeth got plenty.” As Katie’s eyebrows continued to rise, he rushed on. “Sleep, I mean. She got plenty of sleep.”

Silence fell as Spike considered just how deep a hole he’d just dug for himself.

After what seemed like hours, a smile quirked at the corners of Katie’s mouth. “I’m sure Elizabeth got plenty . . . of sleep.”

Spike winced, turning to the large white horse that stood harnessed in front of the widow’s wagon. “Let me check the traces for you.” He could feel the heat radiating from his face and he grimaced. It had been more than a century since he’d had to worry about blushing. Funny how it only took a second to go from the Big Bad to the awkward gawky teenager he’d once been.

A hand plucked the sleeve of his duster, pulling him from the jaws of his past and memories as hideous as any he’d created in his years as a vampire.

“Thank you, William.” Katie had poured herself some coffee and was looking at him through the steam rising from the cup. “Shay always gets them ready for me. He said he’d be back to double-check them before we started off. He’ll appreciate you saving him the work.”

Spike nodded, busying himself with checking the harness trappings, his fingers moving smoothly over the worn leather and buckles. He’d hoped to catch the medicine man and was happy he’d have the chance to finally talk with him. “He’s a fine man. Takes care of you, does he?”

“Yes. I don’t know what I’d do without him. There’s no way I could have made this trip if he hadn’t arranged for someone to drive for me.”

Spike stoked his fingers along the great beast’s coat, making sure there were no mats under the heavy harness collar. “Met him yesterday. The Taylor’s oldest boy, yeah?”

Katie nodded, taking another sip of her coffee. “Even so, it will be nice to reach Plattsville.”

Spike, who was now down on one knee, inspecting the girth, looked over at her. “What’s a Plattsville?”

“No place special,” Katie sighed. “But it’s where I’m headed. Just a little mining town. Maybe not so little since they hit gold a few months back.”

Spike continued what he was doing, glancing at her from the corner of his eye. “Didn’t figure you for bein’ a miner.”

“No,” she chuckled. “We . . . my husband and I, we bought a business there.”

Spike stood, dusting off his pants legs. “What type of business?”

Katie tilted her head and peered at him. “You’re just full of questions. I’ve never seen a cowboy quite as talkative as you.”

“Sorry,” Spike turned to finger the horse’s bridle. “You’re right, none o’ my busin—“

“No.” The red-head walked over to him. “I was just teasing. The business is sort of a . . . hotel. Lots of people traveling in and out of little Plattsville these days. I just hope I can handle it on my own.”

“Oh, I’m sure you’ll do jus’ fine. You seem very . . . competent.” Spike smiled at her, before giving the horse a scratch behind its ear.

The young woman tossed her head back and laughed. “Competent?” She reached out to run a finger along Spike’s sleeve. “William, I think that’s the sweetest thing any man has ever said to me!”

~~@@~~


It was one of those crisp, cool mornings that made you just want to take a deep breath and hold it in your lungs. The sky was so clear and sharp, Buffy felt like she could reach out and grab hold of the brilliant blue and roll it in her hands.

Her mind wandered to thoughts of other brilliantly blue things – like Spike’s eyes. She expelled a quick breath and tried to push away the insistent images that kept popping into her mind. Ever since their talk last night, she felt shaken—almost light-headed with the feelings that were beginning to bubble up at the thought of the vampire.

Ex-vampire, she thought, shaking her head. She had to keep reminding herself of that little fact. The talk last night, concerning his soul, had helped to make the issue a bit more real for her. Until that subject had been broached, it had been easy for her to slip him into the ready made, neatly labeled box she’d always kept him in. Vampire. Evil. Okay, to be honest, he had amazingly hot abs and biceps to swoon over—but that was just hormones talking. She’d made the mistake once of losing her heart to a member of Club Undead, she wasn’t going to tread down that road again.

Besides, Angel had his soul when she’d fallen for him and Spike was . . . well, she wasn’t quite sure exactly what Spike was, but he definitely wasn’t boyfriend material --- soul or no soul. And at this moment the jury was still out on that question. He’d said he thought his soul had been restored along with his humanity. But he certainly didn’t seem any different. He certainly didn’t seem to have that same brooding essence of dread that Angel had always carried with him when he was souled. Other than being slightly more interested in her welfare – which could also be because he figured he needed her to get out of this mess — he appeared to be the same old Spike.

Okay, maybe he was a little different. A tiny bit more introverted. Not quite as mouthy or belligerent as she’d known him to be before the leap into their own version of Wagon Train. But it certainly wasn’t enough to constitute his being all soul-having. Wouldn’t he be wracked with guilt? Why wasn’t he wracked with guilt? Filled with remorse? Brooding and pouting? Granted, she didn’t have a lot of experience with souled vampires, but she probably had as much as anyone. And, frankly, Spike just wasn’t fitting that mold.

Frowning, she paused from stoking the fire she’d built to prepare breakfast. She wanted Spike back in his nice little box. Immediately, if not sooner. Right now, he seemed more like a recalcitrant child, refusing to bend to her vision of him.

A high-pitched, feminine giggle caught her attention and she turned to see Spike on the other side of the circle of wagons, adjusting the bridle of a large black draft horse, while smiling down in the face of a young woman. A very pretty young woman.

Buffy narrowed her eyes, moving casually to the other side of the fire so she could get a better view, without appearing too obvious. It would seem this was the infamous Katie. She’d seen her from afar the day before – and what with trying to wipe the sweat and dirt from her eyes, hadn’t gotten that good a look at her.

The girl was very attractive, she’d grant her that. Buffy gnawed on her lower lip, peering a bit closer. Katie was fairly tall, nearly as tall as Spike, with long curly red hair that fell to her waist. It was tied back by a bit of gold ribbon into a soft ponytail, with tendrils of curls framing her oval face. Yes, she was pretty.

If you liked that kind of tall, willowy, Grecian statue kind of look.

Apparently, Spike did.

As Katie moved closer to Spike, Buffy dropped the stick she was using to poke at the fire and placed all her attention on the couple. She didn’t care if anyone observed her eavesdropping; something just wasn’t right with this picture.

Buffy continued to watch as the woman reached out to run a slender finger along Spike’s sleeve, down to the cuff of his duster, barely touching his hand, then back up to his elbow.

That floozy is flirting with my husband! Err, my Spike.

What ever Spike was, he was hers, not some bottled-dyed – because that color just didn’t exist in nature – red-headed, ho-bag's.

So, he wasn’t really her husband. Nobody knew that except Buffy. This cheap piece of wagon-trash was openly flirting with Spike, believing that he was someone else’s spouse. What would people think? Why was he smiling at her like that? Why was he leaning in towards her? What was wrong with him? Couldn’t he see what a wench-cookie she was?

That bastard!

Buffy sucked in a breath, holding it tight in her chest. She watched as Katie continued to smile at Spike, her eyes-lids fluttering in a beguiling way – and Spike seemed unable, or unwilling, to look away. This woman was nearly drowning the poor oaf in soft smiles, charming giggles, and sweet blushes.

That bitch.

In the few short days she’d spent in this era, Buffy had learned that women did not act this way. Well, not ‘decent’ women. Whether it was fair or not, that’s the way it was. Married women stayed close to their families and pretty much followed their husbands’ leads. And single women – well, single women were the exception to the rule. As far as she knew Katie was the only single woman traveling in the wagon train, short of some elderly grandmothers with some of the other families. But she had a feeling that the current societal rules were more than likely even stricter for single woman.

The object of her perusal let out another giggle and Buffy’s spine stiffened, a muscle in her cheek tensed, and the breath she’d been holding hissed out between her teeth. Picking up her skirts, she strode toward the unsuspecting twosome. She might be currently lacking in the Slayer strength area, but that wasn’t going to keep her from kicking some skanky-bitch prairie ass.

As she approached the duo, Buffy donned a broad, albeit a tad scary, smile. Wrapping her arms around Spike’s waist she rose on tiptoe and pressed her lips to the side of his throat, nuzzling her nose into the crook of his shoulder. When Spike turned to look at her, raising an eyebrow in surprise, she took the opportunity and pressed her lips firmly to his, her arms coming up to snake around his neck.

Spike emitted a low groan from somewhere deep within in his chest, his hands fluttering about her sides as if he wasn’t quite sure where or even if he should touch her. His eyes slowly drifted shut as Buffy deepened the kiss, her body pressing intimately to his. At last, his hands came to rest on her hips, his fingers curled into the soft fabric and flesh.

Feeling Spike’s hands settle upon her, his long, slender fingers pulling her close, crushing her breasts against his chest, Buffy wondered briefly if she’d really thought this plan through enough. Those concerns quickly disappeared, however, when his arms moved low around her waist and he pulled her more tightly against him. So tightly, in fact, that she had no problem whatsoever in determining, even through a petticoat and her voluminous skirt, that Spike dressed to the left was, indeed, very happy to see her.

Buffy felt Spike’s hold on her relax a bit, his hips shifting slightly so that his now formidable erection was no longer pressing against her. She didn’t know why he was pulling away, only that she didn’t want him to. In an automatic response, she pressed herself back to him, her fingers tangling in the curls at his nape, stoking sensuously along the sunburned skin of his neck.

Off to the side there was a gentle cough and clearing of a throat.

Slowly, as if the sound had just penetrated through a protective layer of thick cotton, Buffy and Spike broke their kiss. Buffy, her lips pink and slightly swollen from the pressure of his own lips, simply looked up at him, blinking.

Spike swallowed, and the movement drew Buffy’s eyes to his Adam’s apple. Rational thought flooded through her mind and she remembered the reason she was in his arms. The reason her lips were still warm and tingling from his kiss. She pulled her arms from around his neck, her hands coming to rest lightly on his chest. Turning slightly in his arms, which still held her loosely, she looked over at Katie.

Their eyes locked and held for a long moment. Then a smile, the likes of Spike had never seen before, blossomed on Buffy’s face, but only on her face. Her eyes remained focused on the red-headed woman, as if they were stone, cold green daggers and Katie was the bullseye.

Slowly, her eyes swept up to capture Spike’s. “So, Sweetie, are you going to introduce me to your new friend?”

To Be Continued
Chapter Eleven - They Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
As always , my betas rule. Any mistakes are mine, not theirs
Chapter Eleven – They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~


When his brain cleared and Spike was finally able to process something other than the feel of Buffy’s body pressed to his, he looked down and focused on her eyes. They were turbulent, swirling with emotions that Spike had little hope of deciphering. Yet, with nothing more than a slight dilating of pupils and fluttering of dark lashes, they were able to gather up what was left of his rational mind and swallow him whole.

What was it about this woman that seemed to have such a hold on him? He’d like to think it was nothing more than fallout from the time displacement, but he knew better. She’d gotten to him, deep in his gut, long before they were swept here. Drusilla had seen it, and even through his adamant denial, Spike had known, deep down, that something drew him to her. Something more than just bloodlust; more than just the thrill of adding another dead slayer to his resume.

Pulling back a bit, Spike’s hands traveled from their resting place on Buffy’s hips, to grip her upper arms. His first impulse was to push her away, to distance himself from her and the emotions she was stirring in him. However, her smug smile dared him to prove to her once and for all that he was not under her control. Not here. Not now. Damned if he was going to allow his heart to once again turn him into some sniveling mongrel, waiting to be pushed and pulled and taunted at the whim of some woman.

Besides, she was, once again, stomping into the middle of his best laid plans. He’d wanted to talk to Shay alone. He wasn’t sure of it, but it seemed like the old shaman had been avoiding them. Not that he blamed the man, since the first and only time they’d met ended with the introduction of Spike’s fist to the shaman’s jaw. Better to do this man to man and keep the Slayer and her often erupting temper out of it. He certainly didn’t want to talk to the man while Buffy and Katie were mud wrestling in the background. He wasn’t sure what Buffy’s problem with her was, but it would have to wait to be sorted out until after he had his talk with the elusive medicine man.

Spike pulled Buffy flush against him, his own eyes widening at the feel of her breasts pressed to his chest. His voice emerged gruff, almost a growl. “Well, of course, I’ll introduce you . . . Darling.” His eyes moved from hers to look at the young woman with whom he’d been talking with before Buffy had interrupted. “Mrs. Monroe, I’d like to introduce you to my . . . wife, Elizabeth. Elizabeth,” he turned his eyes down to Buffy once again, his eyebrow quirking. “I’d like you to meet Mrs. Munroe . . . Katie.”

As he murmured her name, Spike’s left hand let loose its grip on Buffy’s bicep, his fingers tracing along her arm, down to her hand, where he threaded them through hers. He let his other hand drop free, and he turned her toward the young woman that she seemed so eager to meet, but he kept a tight hold of her one hand, just in case. He wasn’t sure what was running through the Slayer’s brain right now, but he didn’t want to take any chances. She’d already drawn enough unwanted attention.

Buffy continued to exhibit a smile that made a current of nervous energy dash down the length of Spike’s spine. “So nice to meet you, Mrs. Monroe.”

At the calm tone of Buffy’s voice, Spike let loose the breath he hadn’t realized he was holding, and he released the grip on her hand.

Katie smiled, reaching up to twine a strand of her long red hair around her finger. “Please, call me Katie.”

“Katie,” Buffy said with a slight nod of her head, her smile never wavering.

The redhead appraised Buffy, from the top of her head to the tip of her toes, before looking her square in the eye. “I was just thanking William for his help yesterday evening. I’m not sure what I would have done without him.”

“Yes.” Buffy drew the word out slowly, pulling her hand free of Spike’s and crossing her arms under her breasts. Her bright, fake smile faded. “Mr. Helpful, that’s my . . . husband.”

Katie smirked, her eyes narrowing. “I hope it wasn’t too much of an imposition.”

Buffy’s jaw clenched. “You—”

“It wasn’t an imposition at all,” Spike inserted, stepping in between the two women. “It was my pleasure. What kind of gentleman would I be if I didn’t come to the assistance of a lady in distress?”

He shot Buffy a warning look from the corner of his eye as she let out a loud snort.

Katie glanced at Buffy, then back to Spike. As her eyes met his she fluttered her lashes coquettishly. “Why, William, you flatter me.”

“Oh, please—” Buffy began.

Spike whirl about and face the Slayer. “Elizabeth, don’t you need to get back to the wagon?”

Buffy’s mouth fell open.

“I’m sure something there needs tending.” Spike continued. His back to Katie, he spoke slowly, his eyes urging her to listen to the message hidden between his words.

Buffy’s eyes darted from Spike to Katie. Her jaw worked for a second, opening and closing, then she sputtered, “Tending?”

“Yes, that’s right,” Spike nodded, approaching Buffy. “Now run along and I’ll be there shortly. I have somethin' to discuss with Mrs. Monroe.”

“Well, I have somethin' to discuss with you,” Buffy huffed, her face now white with rage.

Spike took a step closer, leaning in to her. He could feel the heat of her anger radiating off her face, as he brushed his lips against her cheek. “Buffy, jus’ get back to the wagon, I’ll explain later.” He waited for a moment, then even softer murmured, “Trust me, I have a plan.” After a moment, when her fierce gaze didn’t alter, he added, “Please?”

He felt Buffy’s anger begin to dissipate, her narrowed eyes softening, just a bit. He let out a sigh of relief, smiled, and chucked her under the chin. “Run along now,” he said, in a louder voice. “We may have a few more hours this mornin’ to ready ourselves ‘cause of the Turner’s axle needin’ fixed, but Mr. Masterson and Shay will expect us to be ready to go when they call out.”

“Yes, William,” Buffy said, tightly. Before Spike could draw away from her, however, she hauled him to her by the collar of his shirt, whispering in his ear. “You have a lot of explaining to do, Mr. Helpful. And if you ever talk to me again like I’m a brain dead mule, I will cut off your balls with a rusty knife and serve them to sweet, little Katie over there on a platter. Capice?” In an effort that Spike was sure was only for the benefit of their audience, she pecked a chaste kiss on his cheek before pulling back from him.

They stood nose to nose for a long moment, before Spike sighed and turned on his heel, stalking back towards Katie. “I’ll see you back at the wagon,” he said dismissively over his shoulder.

As he neared the redhead he heard the swish of Buffy’s skirts as she turned, tromping off to make her way back across the camp to their wagon. He hadn’t a clue as to what had gotten into the Slayer and why she was acting like she’d sat on a hornet’s nest.

Just when he thought he was figuring the Slayer out, she went and tore all his assumptions to shreds. He thought she’d finally begun to trust him. Thought they’d forged a truce; a mutual understanding that they were in this situation together and had to work as allies if they had any hope of finding there way home. Obviously, to her, he was still just the monster she had to keep an eye on. Heart beat or no, soul or no, to the Slayer he would always be one stake short of the dusting he so richly deserved. His jaw muscle tightened and he stretched the muscles in his neck to help ease the tension.

Whatever the Slayer’s problem was, however, was going to have to wait. He needed to talk with Shay – time was wasting and they needed to begin to figure their way out of this situation. If yesterday was any indication, this trip was not something that either of them was going to be able to get through without serious risk to life and limb. They might have been able to handle it before, if whatever had happened to them had left them as they were – a slayer and a vampire. But as humans, not versed in the ways of this time, not hardened to the life that now faced them, it was only a matter of time before one of them got hurt—or worse. If Shay couldn’t give them a clue as to what had happened to them, then Spike knew he had start looking for ways of getting them off this wagon train and into a safer environment.

He’d been up most of last night; unable to sleep as he worried not only about his changing relationship with Buffy, but also the responsibility that came hand-in-hand with those changes. Like it or not, and for whatever reason, he had feelings of affection for the Slayer – even now, as angry he as was. But in this situation, when he felt the rush to protect her, his humanity weighed him down like an anchor. His biggest fear now was not being there for her—not being able to take care of her—when she most needed him.

Spike knew, if he confided in her, told her any of this, Buffy would give him nothing but a swift punch in the nose for his troubles. She could take care of herself, she’d declare, after belting him another one, no doubt. But Spike knew his weaknesses now, and he just as surely knew Buffy’s.
He may not have been a gentleman for many years, but now his every instinct drove him to protect her. Old, noble habits, were, indeed, hard to break.

“You’re a million miles away.” Katie’s dulcet tones drew him from his thoughts and he realized he’d been staring off to hills beyond her wagon.

“Beg your pardon,” he smiled sheepishly.

“No, I’m the one that should be sorry. I seem to have caused some problems between you and your wife.” She didn’t look sorry. and her smile held the promise of causing even more problems, of a particularly pleasurable variety.

“Not at all. Buffy… ah, Elizabeth is just—”

“High strung,” Katie supplied with a smirk.

Spike grinned. “Yeah, that’s a good way of sayin’ it.”

“I hope you don’t mind me saying this, William, but it seems to me that a man like you needs someone that’s a bit more … How shall I say this?” She tilted her head and her smirk turned to soft smile, her eyelids lowering a bit to stare intently at him. “Accommodating?”

Spike’s jaw dropped a fraction of an inch and he felt his newly beating heart speed up. It had been a long time since a woman had so blatantly come on to him, and he felt his body responding to the offer. It had also been far too long since he’d made love to a woman, and Katie was a temptation he was finding hard to resist. His cock strained against the fabric of his jeans and he wondered what harm there could be in partaking of the pleasure this woman was so obviously offering.

As a vampire, he’d have known the answer to this question before it was even asked. Now, however, it was more difficult. He didn’t feel guilty about his attraction to this woman, even though he knew he probably should. Hadn’t he just admitted to himself that he felt something for Buffy? He would not, could not, label those feelings as love, but they were something and that made lusting after another woman wrong. Wasn’t it?

He wondered, not for the first time, how humans could deal with these moral ambiguities on a daily basis. It was so much easier being evil.

A movement caught Spike’s eye and he turned to watch the elderly shaman approach Katie’s wagon, carrying a small burlap sack in one hand, while a rifle rested in the crook of his other arm. For now, anyway, he’d have to put his feelings for Buffy and his lust for Katie on the back burner. Right now he had to quiz the old man on what he knew about his and Buffy’s displacement to this time and maybe, just maybe, find a way out of this mess.

To Be Continued
Chapter Twelve - I Feel The Summer In The Spring by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my betas, eman and holly. Love you, both, and couldn't do this without ya!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Wanna talk with you a bit, if you don’ mind.” Spike watched as Shay dropped the burlap sack into the back of Katie’s wagon and turned to face him.

Katie had retreated to the wagon when Shay arrived, wishing Spike a good day with a smile that continued the flirtation she'd begun earlier.

At Spike’s words, Shay nodded his head and moved away from the wagon toward the two harnessed horses. “You want to know more about the dream,” he said without prompting.

“Yes. Spike said, following behind the older man. “The dream you mentioned to Bu—Elizabeth.”

The old shaman smiled at Spike’s slight slip. “You don’t need to hide from me, young man.”

Spike narrowed his eyes.

“I know what I know,” the old man murmured in return to the suspicious look. Turning from Spike, he scratched behind the ear of the large while draft horse. “I know you and your woman do not belong here.”

“From the dream? You know this from the dream?” Spike couldn’t quite keep the eagerness from his voice.

“Yes. A dream. The truth comes to me that way, sometimes, in dreams.”

“The truth?”

Spike watched as Shay ran his hand over the rump of the large draft horse, stroking the sleek hide of the animal before tugging at the tracings and girth strap to make sure they were secure.

“You haven’t forgotten.” He didn’t look at Spike, continuing his appraisal of the horse and tack.

Spike’s eyes darted to the horse, then back to Shay. “I haven’t forgotten what?”

“It’s been a long time since you’ve done this, but you haven’t forgotten.”

Spike’s mouth fell open. “You know—”

“The way things were, the way things are, the way things will be.” The old man turned from the animal to look at Spike. “You will walk all three roads before you find what is lost.”

“The only thing lost is us. None of this makes any sense.” Spike huffed, turning away from the man and kicking at the ground, a small cloud of dust rising about his boots. “Nothing’s lost.”

Shay frowned, the wrinkles on his forehead deepening as he watched Spike pace back and forth. “Perhaps you are right. Perhaps that is the truth you need to find.”

Spike looked up, his blue eyes dark with frustration. The shaman caught his gaze and held it for several long seconds, before the younger man looked away, once again digging the toe of his boot into the soft dirt. “This is a bloody ridiculous. Nothing but mystical mumbo-jumbo that I haven’t got time for.”

Shay smiled patiently, tilting his head to watch the younger man. “To find your way, your destiny? I would think time a small price to pay. Especially for one who has an abundance of such currency.”

Blue and brown eyes once again caught and held.

“Maybe once, old man.” Spike let out a breath, then lowered his eyes. “Not so much now.”

“You speak of the ticking of a clock, the turning of a calendar’s pages,” Shay said, shaking his head.

Spike snorted. “Yeah, well, time is somethin’ we’re runnin’ out of. Buffy and I, we can’t stay here. We need to get back . . . back to our time. How the bloody hell are we supposed to do that?”

“Using your gift, what you hold inside yourself. The tools you need to get home are with you, they always have been.” The shaman turned to walk away.

Spike stalked over and grabbed the old man by the arm, swinging him around to face him. “Who are you? Fucking Glinda, the good witch? Right. Let me just find that yellow brick road and Buffy and I will skip on out of here.”

Shay gazed down at where Spike’s fingers wrapped around his upper arm. “I know of no witch. I know only what my dreams have spoken to me – only what I have seen for you and your woman. No yellow road, only a path you seem destined to walk together, each finding your own way. Your own truth. When you have accomplished that, only then, will you be home.”

The older man never took his eyes off Spike’s hand, until at last, his fingers relaxed and he released his grip. Spike sighed, pushing the Stetson back and looked up into the fierce sunlight.

“There is one thing more.”

Spike took a deep breath and, still squinting from the sun, looked back at Shay. When the man remained silent, he shrugged. “You gonna tell me, or do I have to guess?”

The shaman smiled. “A coin. The beginning, the middle, and the end of your journey is tied to this coin. Follow it, and find your destiny.”

Spike blinked, then, his eyes narrowing, he shoved his hand deep into the pocket of his duster, pulling out an old, gold coin. Placing the coin in the calloused palm of his hand, he turned it over, studying the symbol, a knot that was deeply etched into the metal.

“I was holdin’ this when everything fell away … when we ended up here.”

Shay nodded. “Perhaps this is the yellow road of which you spoke.” He picked up his rifle and cradled it in the crook of his arm.

Spike looked up at the man, his hand still open, the coin in his palm, shimmering in the bright sunlight. “Yeah,” he sighed, wetting his lips, then looking back down at the coin. “There’s a symbol on it.”

“Do you know what it means?”

“No.” Spike plucked the coin from his palm, taking a closer look. “Just a knot, on one side. Some markings on the other. Chinese. Never learned the bloody language, now I wish I’d taken the time. Doesn’t look familiar to me. Maybe with some research . . .” He snorted then, closing his fist around the coin. “Never a Watcher around when you really need one.”

“I know of someone who might be able to help,” Shay offered. “There is man, in a town we will be passing through a few days journey from here. He is the banker, but I know that he collects coins. Perhaps he could help you with the history of that one.”

Spike raised a brow. “Know this man well, do you?”

“Well enough. I have played poker with him from time to time.”

Frowning, Spike stepped closer to the old man, the coin still held tight in his fist. “How’d you come to know about this hobby of his?”

Shay shrugged. “Mr. Grogan is a fine man. He is also a fine banker. He is not so fine a poker player. I have accepted, in payment for wagers lost, some of these coins that he collects.”

Spike gave a rueful smile and slipped the fist holding the coin into back into his duster pocket. “I see. And you’ll introduce me to this banker friend of yours?”

Shay nodded, his weathered face, showing no emotion.

“Well,” Spike sighed. “Guess that’s a start, innit?”

Shay smiled softly then, and turned and walked away. “Yes,” he murmured, the words drifting back over his shoulder to Spike. “It is a start.”

To Be Continued
Chapter Thirteen - People Will Say We’re In Love by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Couldn't do it without the help of my betas, eman and Holly!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Haven’t you got somethin’ to 'tend to'?” Buffy muttered in a bad imitation of Spike’s English accent. She grunted mirthlessly, tossing items around the interior of the wagon, searching for her sun bonnet. She picked up one of Spike’s shirts and grabbed it with both hands by the hem, intending to rip it in half. She stopped, the fabric taught in her grasp as she realized she’d probably be the one that ended up having to mend it. Crumpling it into a ball, she tossed it across the wagon, where it ended in a heap next to one of the flour kegs.

“Oh, I’m gonna ‘tend’ to something alright,” she snarled, continuing to take out her rage on every helpless inanimate object within her reach. “When we get back home I’m gonna ‘tend’ to kicking your ass halfway across Sunnydale.”

At last she found the well-worn bonnet and pulled it on, jerking the strings tightly under her chin. Hearing the heavy tromping of Spike’s boots as he climbed up into the wagon, she turned slowly, her eyes narrowing. She took in a deep breath, letting it out slowly through her nose, as she watched him pull himself into the opening at the back of the wagon and straighten as much as he could, his hat brushing the canvas wagon cover.

When his eyes met hers, she jutted out her chin angrily.

He snorted, pulling the Stetson from his head. “See you’re in your usual lovely mood.”

“Oh, you've got a lot of nerve,” she snarled, placing her hands on her hips and glaring at him. She was fairly vibrating with anger.

Me?” Spike squeaked, his voice climbing dangerously high. “What the bloody hell did I do other than try to help find us a way out of this hellhole?" As an afterthought, he added, "Despite your blundering in an’ doin’ your best at muckin’ up my plans.”

“Plans,” she laughed nastily. “The only plans I saw you making were to bee-line it over to chat up the merry widow.” Buffy turned from him and fell to her knees, her skirts billowing about her, as she busied her hands straightening the cotton blankets and bedroll that Spike slept on.

Despite the angry words, Spike couldn’t help but hear the wounded tone of her voice. He blinked, confused. An angry slayer he could handle, but he had no clue how to handle a hurt one. Perhaps a dose of patience was in order. He took a deep breath and tried to keep his voice calm. “I thought maybe she could –”

“Oh, I know what you thought she could do for you.” Buffy looked up at him accusingly. “What were you thinking? No, don’t answer that. You weren’t thinking. At least not with your head.” She looked pointedly at his groin.

Spike jerked the duster closed, effectively blocking her view.

“These people think we’re married,” Buffy continued, looking up into his eyes. “How is it supposed to look to them with you . . . ” She shook her head, throwing up her hands up in exasperation. “I can’t believe you were over there getting a hard-on for that hose-bag.”

Spike’s brows rose, his eyes widened, and his jaw dropped. He stared at her for a long moment, before his mouth snapped shut. “Well,” he spat, tossing his hat across the wagon where it hit the side board and bounced to the floor. “I can’t believe you get all juicy for Captain Cardboard, but different strokes for different folks I guess.” So much for patience.

Buffy’s face reddened, her eyes glistening with emotion. She struggled to her feet, tossing the blanket onto the floor between them, and kicking the sleeping roll. “Make your own bed, you pig.”

Spike looked at the mess of blankets, then back at Buffy. He closed his eyes, huffing out a breath in frustration. “Buffy, I’m trying to understand what’s got your knickers in a twist, I really am.” He shrugged the duster off, tossing it aside. “Maybe I should ha’ told you what I planned to do. Didn’t think it was that big a deal. I was jus’ talkin’ to the woman. I wasn’ gettin’ –”

“Please, Spike,” Buffy turned her back to him. “I’m not a child. I’m also not stupid. I know what you . . . got.”

Spike tilted his head, studying the rigid line of her back. He drew his lower lip through his teeth as he tried to think of something to say. She was right, after all. He had been attracted, physically, to Katie. And Buffy had caught him. But the memory of Buffy’s kiss, her body pressed intimately to his, made him realize that it wasn’t just Katie that had stirred his flesh. The widow might have lit a spark in him, but Buffy had ignited a raging forest fire.

“Wasn’ jus’ her,” he finally said softly.

Buffy turned back to him, incredulous. “Are you comparing me—”

“No.” He held up a hand, cutting off a tirade. “Just sayin’ . . . I’m a man, Buffy.”

She tilted her head, frowning. “So you’re saying, sometimes an erection is just an erection?”

His lips twisted into a smile. “Not exactly how I’d have put it, but, yeah.”

“Uhmm,” she nodded, looking down at her feet. “And the rest of the wagon train,” she continued, finally looking up, the small, tight smile on her lips wasn’t reflected in her eyes, “are they supposed to understand this whole ‘men will be assholes’ scenario? They’re just supposed to understand why Elizabeth’s hubby is off getting groiny with Ms. Community Chest?”

“Not what I was doin’. . . and you sure that’s what’s got you all wound up?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” She snapped.

The tip of Spike’s tongue ran over the edge of his upper teeth, “Jus’ thinkin’ this is a tempest in a teapot an’ you’re gettin’ way too bent out of shape over it. Sure there isn’t more to it than what you’re sayin’?”

Buffy’s breathing deepened, her chest rising and falling visibly beneath the cotton of her gown. “You’re saying I’m jealous? Of you and –”

“Didn’ say that, now did I?” Spike interrupted. “Just sayin’ that perhaps you’re a little stressed. Hell, we both are. Overreactin’ an’ lashin’ out at each other’s not gettin’ us anywhere.”

Turning from him again, Buffy walked over to the feather tick. Spike could feel the anger draining from her and he let out a sigh. She looked back at him.

“Can we jus’ agree that we both stepped outta bounds?” He watched as she blinked at him slowly. “Need to work together here, Buffy. We’re never gonna get outta this mess if we keep bangin’ heads.”

There was a long moment of silence. Then she sighed. “Fine,” she said, as she plopped down onto the feather tick, her hands folded in her lap, limply. As Spike stepped toward her, her head snapped up and she caught his eye. “But. I’m. Not. Jealous. Got that?”

Spike fought to hide a smile. “Got it.”

Relief flooded his body. He’d escaped from the battled nearly unscathed. Not that he hadn’t deserved the bite she took out of his ass. It was just always nice to slip away with his bits and pieces intact, especially where the Slayer was concerned.

He sat down on the floor next to the tick. “Wanna hear what I got from Shay?”

She shrugged, falling back to lean on her elbows. “Sure, why not. Did he tell you about the dream?”

“Yeah. Bottom line? Seems we’ve got some work to do to get outta here.”

“Work?” Buffy sat us suddenly. “What kinda work? Cause, you know, I’ve had it about up to here,” she made a slicing gesture with her hand across her neck, “with the frontier version of the women’s movement. I have dust in places that I didn’t even know I had places. And really, riding in a wagon all day makes slaying look like a walk in the park.”

“I was speakin’ of work in the metaphorical sense. Shay seems to think that we were sent here on some sort of journey, seeking out the truth.”

“What? No seeking out Justice and the American Way, as well?”

“Not yet. Wait though. The day is young.” Spike reached over to grab his hat off the floor where it had landed, dusting off the brim. “Seriously, he didn’t really have a clue why we’re here, other than some mystical humbug about a journey where we find our destiny,” he finished with a snort.

“Our destiny?” Buffy’s eyes widened. “'Our’ as in you and me? Wait, that can’t be right, because we definitely do not have a destiny … not together. Maybe separate destinies. Separate, completely different, totally apart destinies.”

Spike eyed her, his brows drawn together. “Right, got that, Buffy. Two destinies, hopefully on different continents.”

“That would be nice.” She nodded, satisfied. “What about the coin?”

Spike rolled his eyes. “More o’ the same, pet. Somethin’ about it bein’ the beginnin’, middle an’ end of our journey. Shay gave me the name of a man. Fella by the name ofGrogan. He’s the banker in a town that we’ll be passin’ through. Might be able to help decipher the symbol, maybe what’s written on the other side.”

Buffy sighed, frowning.

“I know,” Spike twirled his Stetson in his hands, focusing on it and not the sour expression on Buffy’s face. “Best we can do for now, luv. Can’t see we have much other choice than meet up with this bloke and see if he can tell us something we don’t already know.”

Buffy grabbed the hat from Spike's hands and placed it on his head, drawing the brim down low over his brow. “How many days until we reach this town?”

Spike shrugged, straightening the hat on his head. “A coupla days. Maybe longer, dependin’ on the weather. Why?”

“Because after we talk to this Mr. Grogan,” Buffy said grimly, “I’m gonna find the nearest hotel, with the biggest bathtub, and I’m gonna soak in it for, like, four weeks.”

To Be Continued
Chapter Fourteen - There's Bound to be Rough Waters by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
This chapter took a long time and I’d like to apologize for the wait. I knew where I was, and I even knew where I wanted to be. I just didn’t have a clue as to how to get there. A chat with beanbeans did the trick however. She asked me all the right questions and got me back on track. So if you want to thank anyone for this chapter, thank her. Also, as always, my wonderful betas eman, holly, and, because I nudged her into to, beans!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another long, hot, grueling day finally ground to an end. Buffy almost wept with joy when Shay rode by to tell them that the caravan was stopping early because yet another traveler had broken a wagon wheel. Spike had offered his assistance, but Shay insisted that Mr. Reynolds and his three sons had the situation well in hand.

Watching Spike jump off the wagon to tend to the horses, Buffy admitted to herself, albeit begrudgingly, that the ex-vamp was proving to be a surprisingly helpful travel companion. It was obvious now that he didn’t just jump to the aid of beautiful young widows; in fact, he was making himself quite useful with all of the wagon train travelers. He often rose before dawn to help Shay and Matthew with the harnessing the teams of some of the other families – those talents, learned long ago, came in handy in the service of those not quite as adept with horses as he was.

It seemed that Spike also now shared a sort of camaraderie with the other men of the train—
a camaraderie that Buffy actually envied. It wasn’t that she was averse to making friends with the other women on the train, it was just that between the exhaustion of the physical labor and the hours spent either readying for the day’s activities, enduring them, or making camp, there was little time for ‘girl talk.’

Not that she had an inkling as to what to talk about with these women. They seemed, to Buffy, to be little more than an extension of the men in their lives. The cooking, cleaning, mending extension. And while she was now the queen of the campfire and could actually make the morning coffee without it burning and bubbling over, Buffy still felt odd and out of place. Not that that feeling was anything new to her. Feeling odd, out of place, less than normal, was par for the course for the Chosen One. Came part and parcel with the stake and cross she carried on her every hour of every day. Now, here she was, a simple human being again. No calling, other than to get through the day and still she felt at odds with herself. Out of place. It didn’t seem fair. But when had life ever been fair?

She arched her aching back and took a moment to look around at the landscape. Saw-grass rippled in the slight breeze—a hint of fall rustling the leaves of the trees. There was still some daylight left and she looked at the sun as it sat low in the sky, framed by large puffy clouds and brilliant blue skies.

“Daydreamin’ won’t get your work done, Slayer.”

She looked down at Spike, his eyes almost as blue as the sky she’d just pulled her attention from. “I know.” She sighed, pulling herself to the edge of the wagon seat, as Spike raised his arms to grasp her about the waist and help her from the wagon.

Spike, his hands still resting gently on her hips, tilted his head and gave her a look. “Happy we stopped early, yeh?”

“Oh, yeah.” She smiled, though her face clearly showed her weariness.

He reached up, pushing her sun bonnet back, and brushed his fingers through the long fringe of bangs that fell across her forehead and into her eyes. “Today was rough. Think you got more sun than you needed.” At her look, he raised his brows. “Told you go into the wagon for a bit. Stubborn bint.”

Buffy blew out a puff of air, her bangs barely ruffling off her sweaty brow. “Well, remind me next time not to be so . . . Oh, yeah, I do feel a little—” As her words faded she swayed against Spike, reaching out and grasping his upper arms for support.

“Whoa there, Slayer.” Before Buffy could object, Spike scooped her up into his arms and moved to a small copse of trees near where the wagon stopped. Setting her gently on the ground, he knelt beside her. She struggled to sit up and without much effort Spike pushed her back down. “Just lay back. You’re not lookin’ so good.”

Her eyelids drooping, Buffy looked up at Spike, his face swimming in and out of focus. As he moved to stand up, she grasped his hand pulling him back to his knees beside her. “Don’t go,” she mumbled, her mouth feeling suddenly very dry. “I don’t feel—”

“I know, pet. Just lay still. You got a bit too much sun is all. Let me loosen this a bit.” His fingers worked the buttons at the throat of her cotton dress, then folded the fabric back, exposing the blotchy skin of her throat and chest. “Gonna go get you some water, sweetheart.”

Buffy nodded, but tightened her clench on his hand.

“Gotta let go, pet.” Spike smiled, his other hand prying her fingers from his flesh. “Promise I’ll be right back. Just goin’ to the wagon for some water.”

Buffy nodded, closing her eyes against the dizziness, her tongue darting out to lick at her parched lips. She slowly released his hand, immediately missing the reassuring touch of his calloused skin on hers. The world continued to pitch and heave under her, and it seemed hours before, at last, Spike took her hand again in his.

Crooking his other hand under her neck, Spike raised her head off the ground, and her lips touched the cool surface of a tin coffee cup. The water, while warm from being in the side barrel of the wagon all, still felt incredibly refreshing to her. Spike only let her sip, even though she would have loved to have gulped the entire cup in one swallow.

“Easy there. Jus’ a bit at a time, Buffy.”

Her eyes opened and she watched as Spike’s face eased into focus. Taking a few more sips of water, she attempted what she hoped was a smile. “Better,” she mumbled, her lips still feeling dry and slightly numb. It was an odd, disorienting feeling and she hated how weak and tired it left her.

Spike settled onto the ground beside her and pulled her into his arms, so that her head rested on his lap, her cheek pressed against his stomach. Buffy felt the coolness of a wet cloth dabbed against the flushed skin of her cheek and then her neck.

“She is feeling better?”

The voice was Shay’s and Buffy could tell that he was standing near them, but she couldn’t seem to find the energy to turn her head in his direction.

“Yes, she is.” Buffy felt the rumbling of Spike’s voice against her cheek. Gruff, but warm and somehow comforting. “Jus’ a touch too much sun. Be right as rain in a bit.”

Shay’s soft footsteps faded away and she was left alone with Spike. They sat like this for several minutes, as Spike continued to move the cool, wet cloth across her brow and cheek.

“I’m sorry about this,” she mumbled at last, turning her face into him, hiding away from the blue of his eyes.

Spike quirked an eye-brow at her. “What have you got to be sorry ‘bout?”

She drew in a deep breath and then sat up slowly, pulling herself out of his arms, although he continued to steady her with a hand to the small of her back. She sighed. “Going all weak-kneed and swoony on you.”

“Wasn’ weak-kneed or vapid, luv.” Spike frowned. “Jus’ a touch too much sun and heat today. Happens to the best of us.”

“Yeah, well, it doesn’t happen to me.” She frowned, her chin trembling slightly has she fought back the unwanted tears that threatened. “Well, not normally.” She smoothed the fabric of her cotton dress around her knees, blinking back the evidence of her emotions, and looked up at Spike. “But I guess I have to redefine ‘normal’ these days.”

“Guess we both do.” His voice was soft, and he still looked worried, the crinkles around his eyes deepened into a frown of his own. “Think we have, in fact. Think we’ve done quite well, considerin’”

Buffy looked at him dubiously, taking the cloth from his hand and pressing it to the skin of her chest. “Maybe. I don’t know.”

Spike rocked to his knees, then stood, reaching down to grasp Buffy’s hand and pull her to her feet. “Well, I know. Trust me. We’re doin’ fine. And we’ll be doin’ even better once we talk to Mr. Grogan.” Before Buffy could complain, the ex-vampire swung her into his arms, striding back to the wagon. “Gonna get you outta the sun. You’ll feel like a new Slayer in the mornin’”

She bit back the response that she didn’t even feel like the old Slayer these days, realizing that whining wasn’t going to make things better. And actually, things were better. Even if only slightly. They had at least a hint of hope that this Grogan fellow might be able to help them decipher the coin that Spike and Shay seemed so sure was the origin of their mishap in time.

In fact, in the last few days since their argument over Katie, things had even gotten better with Spike. Despite her ability to hold a grudge and Spike’s ability to annoy her by just, well, existing, they’d managed to push those differences aside and work together. Fear and loneliness had been excellent motivators. They really did only have each other, and the business of simply surviving another day took precedent over their long running mutual animosity.

Not that Buffy had given in too easily. She’d let loose with a few well placed barbs, her razor sharp tongue slicing through her good intentions like a knife through butter. But Spike had, uncharacteristically, turned the other cheek and managed to maintain his good humor and even helped to cultivate hers.

Who knew there were that many dirty limericks?

Buffy wasn’t sure what was improving his disposition. Perhaps it was the soul? Or maybe it was just the joy he must be feeling at being human. Because what a joy it must have been, to now be able to walk in the sunlight, to feel his heart beating.

She could feel his heart now, beating against her own ribs, steady and strong. Her fingers dug into the muscles of his shoulders as he lifted her higher into the opening of the wagon, and she studied with fascination the movement of muscles in his forearms.

“You stay put; I’ll get supper started—”

She shook her head. “No, Spike, I can—”

“You,” he pointed his finger, tapping her nose, “will stay put for a while. Get your energy back.” He went to the side of the wagon, pouring another cup of water and bringing it back to her. “Sip this, then I’ll get you some more. Once we get you hydrated and fed, you’ll feel a lot better.”

Buffy clutched the tin cup in both hands. “I—” she hesitated, her eyes moving from the water to his eyes. She chewed pensively on her bottom lip, then took a deep breath. “Thank you, Spike. I know—”

The ex-vamp waved her off, turning to step away. “No need—”

“Yes, there is a need.” She caught him by his sleeve. “I know I haven’t been . . . well,” Buffy’s eyes dropped to the tin cup held tightly in her hands. She knew she wouldn’t be able to finish if she continued looking into those concerned blue eyes. “. . . the most pleasant person to be with since this whole thing started. It’s just . . . it hasn’t been easy for me to lose everything.” Her hands shook, the water spilling onto her wrist. She took a deep, shakey breath and forged ahead. “To not be the Slayer. To have to rely on you . . .” Her eyes flashed to his for a second, then back to her hands. “But it’s not just you, not really. It’s having to rely someone else, anyone else, to take care of me . . .” She looked up then, her mouth tightening into a thin line, as she fought to keep herself from trembling, her eyes daring him to make light of her vulnerability.

“Thought we’d agreed we were a team, yeh? That means we’re takin’ care of each other, Slayer.” The tone of his voice drew here eyes back to his. His eyes were narrowed, piercing, as if they’d found a route straight to her heart. “And you’re still the Slayer. That’s not something anyone or anything can take from you. Trust me on this, luv, you are still the Chosen One.” His gaze softened a bit, a smile quirking the corner of his mouth. “Appointed and anointed to be a royal pain in my arse until the day I dust.”

Buffy tilted her head, a smile slowing growing. “Yeah?”

Spike huffed out a breath, raising his eyebrows, but smiling back at her. “Yeah, Slayer. Now get your ass in that wagon. You need anything before I go out to gather some wood for the fire?”

“No.” She shook her head. “Well, not unless you can round up a hot shower and a big bottle of shampoo. Oh, and conditioner. Redken, if they have it.” As if to emphasis her distress, she reached up and scratched her scalp.

“Sorry, luv, I don’t think …” Spike paused, casting a look over his shoulder to the copse of trees they’d sat next to. When he looked back it was with a grin that she’d never quite witnessed from him before. “You stay put. I’ll be back in two shakes.”

She watched, opened mouthed, as he trotted off towards the trees. As he disappeared within their depths she frowned, calling out, “Wait. Two shakes of what?”

To Be Continued
Chapter Fifteen - From Lips I’ve Never Owned by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
to my betas eman, holly, and beanbeans. I lurve youz all!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It didn’t take Spike long to carry the two pails of water from the river. As rivers went, it wasn’t very impressive; following the line of trees at a leisurely pace, at times no more than four to five feet wide. But the water was fresh, running clear and cold.

When he arrived back at the wagon he found that Buffy had succumbed to the punishment of the day’s hard physical labor. She was curled on her side on the feather tick, her hands folded, as if in prayer, tucked under her chin.

Spike paused for a moment, watching the slight, steady movement of her chest as she breathed. It hadn’t really hit him until he was standing by the river’s edge; the fear flooding through him, causing his muscles to tense, his breath quickening.

It was a simple reaction to the adrenaline, his logical mind told him. His heart argued that it was something far more. It wasn’t as if she’d almost died – a bit of heat exhaustion, quickly dealt with. But it could have been worse, and it was this fact that brought forth in Spike’s mind a myriad of dangerous situations in which Buffy could fall prey.

His biggest fear was now exposed, like a raw nerve. Buffy, admitting her feelings of vulnerability to him, had opened the wound even further. She was depending him to make things right; to take care of her. While her belief in him made Spike proud—producing an overwhelming urge to throw out his chest and trumpet the news to anyone within hearing distance—it also scared him right down to the marrow of his bones. Could he protect her? Was he strong enough? The idea of having to live up to her belief in him left Spike doubting himself, cloaked in feelings of frailty and weakness he hadn’t experienced in over a century.

Protect her.

My arch nemesis.

My ‘chosen’ executioner.


Even now, his mind screamed that it was wrong. Emotionally, however, he knew that nothing had ever felt so true. Circumstances had conspired to place his heart into the palm of his sworn enemy. It was as it was, and Spike knew from years of experience, that in matters of the heart he had no more control than he had over the rising of the sun. He could try to fight it, but ultimately he knew he would end up under the heel of love. It seemed to be his destiny.

Spike’s eyes focused once more on the wellspring of this emotion. Tiny but fierce—his warrior princess. She would, of course, cleave him in two if she even suspected his feelings for her. She might accept him now, forced into this situation, buffered by the fact that he was now human, but Spike would not fool himself into thinking it was more than that. Her heart was surely hardened against him, forever, as he was the creature she was destined to destroy.

Her destiny.

His destiny.


Spike took in a sharp breath.

Their destiny.

He shook his head, firmly pushing any thoughts that the two of them could form some sort of alliance out of him mind, his heart. They needed each other now, but when they found there way out of this mess, they would go back to life as it was; as it was meant to be. Slayer and vampire. A chipped, hobbled, harmless vampire, but still a vampire. Perhaps they were no longer sworn enemies, he conceded, but to presume more than that would only lead him further info the dangerous territory he now skirted.

He had to keep focused on the goal. Getting her home. Anything else, well, it was just foolish. Like spitting into the wind. Better to work towards finding their way out here, and getting Buffy back on her feet was the first step in that process. She may question her strength right now; her ability to survive in this place and time. But Spike hadn’t been lying to her; he knew that in her soul she was still the Slayer. Now he just had to get her to believe it.

Heading back to the camp site, Spike began gathering what little fallen wood there was and built another fire, beside the one that was already blazing away. He hung the two large pails of water over the flames, then went about pulling together a meager meal of beans and biscuits left over from breakfast. Kneeling, he stirred the now glowing embers of the older fire, causing them to hiss and snap, as if angry with him for disturbing them

He’d been kneeling there, gazing into the dancing flames, his mind miles and years away, thinking things a vampire should never, ever think, when a small voice drew him back, away from his pleasant, but inconceivable imaginings.

“Anything I can help with?”

Spike jumped up and spun around to find Buffy, leaning on the wagon, her dress and hair still rumpled from her nap. He took a step toward her but she held up a hand, warding him off.

“I’m okay. Is that dinner?”

Spike nodded. “Yeah, wasn’ sure if you’d be up for anythin’, but jus’ in case—”

Buffy’s hand fluttered to her stomach and she shook her head. “Not right now, maybe in a while. I still feel a little queasy.”

“O’ course,” Spike turned and removed the food from the flames, placing it on a small pile of rocks beside the fire pit. “It’ll stay warm for a while. When you’re ready.”

“What’s that?” Buffy pointed at the other fire and the two pails that were now steaming and bubbling atop the flames.

“Jus’ . . . you mentioned that you …. ” A lump formed in his throat, threatening to drown out his words and he coughed to cover it. He fisted his hands, then stretched them open, at last jamming them into the pockets of his jeans.

“Spike?” Buffy tilted her head as she took a step toward him.

Spike shuddered, like a dog shedding water from its coat, then jerked a hand from the pocket of his jeans to gesture towards to the pails of water. “Can’t help with a hot bath, but thought maybe you’d like to, well, clean up as best you can. Maybe wash your hair? Could help you with that.” His voice caught again and he cleared his throat

Buffy looked from the ex-vamp to the steaming water, then back again. “That’s hot water? Hot water that isn’t for cooking or cleaning dishes? Hot water I can . . . bathe in?” The last words were whispered reverently.

Spike gave a lopsided grin, soaking in Buffy’s obvious joy. “Yes, hot water that you can bathe in.”

Buffy’s eyes darted to the large cask of water on the side of the wagon. “But I thought—”

“Didn’ come from there, luv. Got it from the river.”

She blinked back at him for a second before a small smile began to grow. “Thank you, Spike. I—”

He waived her off. “Nothin’ to it, pet.” He shifted from foot to foot, until he looked back into her eyes. What he saw there sent a small shiver down his back. He tried to shake it off with a laugh. “It was just time we got you washed up a bit.”

Their eyes locked again and Buffy nodded, acknowledging the awkwardness of the moment, but allowing it slide off into humor with a chuckle of her own. As her hands went to the neck line of her dress, Spike’s eyes widened.

“Wha . . . ah, Buffy . . .” he stuttered, as the flesh of her neck and chest appeared and she began to slip the dress off her shoulders. “What are you doin’ pet?”

“I’m taking this dress off so I can get cleaned up.” She laughed as the dingy gown slipped to the ground, leaving her in a white cotton chemise and petticoat. Reaching up, she started removing the wooden pins that held her hair up in the soft knot at her neck, and the honey colored tresses swung free about her shoulders and down her back. “Spike, I don’t know how I’m ever going to be able to thank you for this.”

Spike mouth fell open, one brow rising, as Buffy slowly walked toward him.

To Be Continued
Chapter Sixteen - Gonna Wash That Man Right Out Of My Hair by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
If you enjoy this chapter it’s all because of my lovely betas, beanbeans, eman, beans, and Holly. They pushed and pulled until they got this outta me and then helped me make it “just right” – at least I hope you think so!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hot water.

Buffy shivered just thinking about it. Her focus was entirely on the prospect of a bath as she walked past Spike toward the pails of steaming water. Days on the trail, sitting in the hot sun, sweating and toiling along with the rest of the wagon train’s travelers, had left her covered with dust and dirt that she couldn’t wait to scrub off. On the trail water had been a commodity that they couldn’t afford to waste on hygiene, but Buffy had still managed to clean up a bit. Her mother would've called them spit baths. Spike’s label of a ‘whore’s bath,’ while less eloquent, was fairly precise.

“Okay, how do I do this? I mean I know you didn’t carve me a tub while you were walking through the woods. Maybe you can just pour it over me? God I wish I could just jump in.”
She glanced over her shoulder at Spike who was staring at her, his mouth open, a blank look on his face. “What?”

Spike blinked at her. Once. Twice. Thrice.

He seemed no nearer speech than when she first turned and Buffy squinted at him, at last noticing his eyes seemed focused a bit below eye level. She glanced down at herself, clad in her chemise and petticoat, then back up to Spike.

“This?” She plucked at her chemise. “Spike I can’t wash with that dress on. There is grit that is hermetically sealed to me. I’m talking industrial strength loofah time.” When his expression didn’t change, she continued. “Come on, I’ve had flannel nightgowns that show more skin than this.”

Spike’s mouth snapped shut, the glaze in his gaze drifting away as his eyes rose to meet hers. Buffy wasn’t sure, but it seemed his entire body tensed, although the only sign was a small muscle in his cheek twitching. Before she could object, he’d grabbed her by the arm and drawn her away from the fire toward the rear of the wagon.

“Doesn’t matter what you think, Slayer. Only matters what everyone else thinks. To those folks out there, you’re walkin’ around nearly starkers.” His furtive glance out to the circle of wagons alerted her to the seriousness of the situation.

“Sorry.” She shrugged out of his grasp. “I forgot for a moment that we’re residing temporarily in Repressionsville.”

Spike shot her a look.

“I know, I know. When in Spain . . .”

With a soft laugh, Spike seemed to shake off his annoyance. “That’s ‘when in Rome,’ pet.”

Buffy was happy to see his mood had changed and she smiled back at him. “Here’s one. Cleanliness is next to . . . impossible here. Can we get moving with that hot water?”

“You stay here, eh? The back of the wagon will give you a bit o’ privacy. I’ll get the water.”

She watched as he took his leather gloves from the pocket of his duster and pulled them on. He grabbed the water pails by their handles, pulling them from fire, the steam swirling up and around his hands, wrists, and forearms like serpents.

“Gonna still hafta rough this. There’s some clean rags in the side box and I think some laundry soap. Best I can do.”

He sat one pail on the ground and the other on a small stool he’d pulled from the back of the wagon. Returning to the side of the wagon, he rummaged through the side box and pulled out a lump of something that looked like yellow wax and an arm full of soft, well-worn rags.

She took the items from him, looking at the water then back at him. “I’m not sure . . . what is this?”

“Soap. Well, at least what’s considered soap ‘round here. Mostly used to wash clothes, but I think it will do in a pinch for . . . you and, well, your hair. I can hang a blanket from that limb over there, give you some more privacy and then you can, well, get on with it.”

Buffy scrutinized the soap and make-shift towels, before turning to watch as Spike hopped into the wagon and retrieved the thread-bare blanket from her tick. He then tossed it across the lower branch of the tree near the rear of the wagon. It shielded her from the rest of the camp, but was by no means private to anyone that was behind the wagon. Right now, that was only Spike, and Buffy steeled herself to make-do. She would do anything to get the grit and grime off her and have her hair smelling clean again.

Spike brushed his hands off on the backside of his jeans and turned to Buffy. “I’ll jus’ go, uh, heat up the supper again.” He gestured toward the fire where the meal he’d prepared earlier sat cooling.

He wasn’t half way to the campfire when her voice caught him. “Spike?”

He turned back to her, watching as she looked from the lump of soap in one hand to the toweling in the other. “Yeah,” he offered hesitantly.

Buffy chewed her bottom lip, then looked at him. “I’m not sure I can do this. I mean, shower massages I can handle. Buckets of water, not so much.”

“Wish I could offer you a tub, pet, but this is the best I can do.” The disappointment was clear on his face.

“No, I know that,” Buffy rushed on. “And I really appreciate it. I was just wondering … well, maybe you could help me?”

Spike’s right eyebrow did a slow rise towards his hairline. “Help you?”

“Yeah, well, the bath part I can manage, but the hair washing thingy I might need a hand with. I mean what with those pails looking uber heavy and the whole lack of Slayerish strength these days . . .”

“Guess you could use an extra hand.” Spike smiled at her.

“Or two.” She nodded, looking again at the steaming pails of water.

“Lucky for you, I got a couple to spare.”

“Yeah,” she said, sniffing the soap and wrinkling her nose, “lucky me. Say, what’s this made of?”

Spike grimaced. “Well—”

“No,” Buffy threw up a hand. “Never mind, I don’t want to know.”

“Good choice, luv. Don’t wanna ruin the moment.”

“Nope.” She looked at the soap suspiciously, then back to Spike. “Now how do we do this?”

Spike glanced at the water pails, then back at Buffy. “You’re gonna get wet, no matter how we work this.”

“That’s fine. Get me wet.” Spike smirked, covering it quickly with his hand, and Buffy rushed on. “I mean, baths usually equal wet, so no problem.” She turned away from the ex-vamp, trying to ignore the flush of heat that had suffused her cheeks and hoping that in the dark Spike didn’t notice.

“Sounds good,” Spike said, obviously trying to hide a chuckle, and walked over to pick up the pail of water from the ground at Buffy’s feet. “Best for you to bend over, I think, let me pour the water over your hair, get it wet, then you can wash it.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Buffy nodded, bending forward at the waist, her long blonde hair spilling down to almost touch the ground. She felt a little vulnerable, and more than a tad silly, standing bent over in nothing but her underwear in front of Spike, but she tried to shrug it off. It was either this, or hair that gnomes could build a home in. Besides, she had to admit that Spike had been on his best behavior lately and, anyway, it was just Spike. She tried not worry why his presence had begun causing a little tingle of energy to work its way up her spine.

Spike tested the water to make sure it had cooled enough, then tilted the pail so that the water flowed over Buffy’s head until her hair was completely saturated. Buffy twisted her hair into a pony tail, before standing up and flipping the mass of now dark hair to her back.

She dipped the lump of soap into the remainder of the water from the pail that Spike still held and rubbed her hands together, attempting to work up a lather. After a few moments, Spike took the soap from her, rubbing the now slimy ball onto the leg of his jeans, breaking free the
wax coating that had sealed the soap and creating a lather between his own two hands.

“No fair,” Buffy said, pushing out her lower lip in her trademark pout. “No one said there were tricks involved.” She watched the bubbles of soap grow between his fingers.

Spike shot her back his trademark smirk. “There’s always a trick involved, pet. Just lucky I’m old enough to know 'em. Now turn ‘round.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as she watched his tongue run teasingly along the edges of his upper teeth. When she didn’t move, he took a step closer, his breath fanning her face. The warmth of it caressed her cheeks and for an odd reason she had to fight to keep from leaning into him.

His voice, deep and gravely, pulled her from her trance. “Turn ‘round, luv.”

Turn around, she did, almost as if his voice controlled her, like the strings that controlled a marionette. Before she even had a chance to worry about this, the ex-vamp’s hands were in her hair, his long fingers massaging her scalp. As he worked the lather through her hair, she felt the tightness flow from her muscles, the pressure of his fingers washing away the stress of the day. Without thought, she leaned back into his hands, breathing deeply as his thumb pressed into the nape of her neck and the fingers of his other hand spread and squeezed the thick soap lather into the length of hair that lay against her back.

Buffy vaguely wondered if she had ever felt this good in her entire life—this relaxed. She took in another deep breath, her eyes drifting shut. It was so nice to simply let go, to let this man take care of her. She was tired and achy, and his fingers—caressing her—gave her a brief respite. And his hands felt so strong, so able. So right.

But at the thought of letting go—of handing over control to someone else—something in her tensed. She opened her eyes, and the world swirled and danced in front of her. Legs wobbly, she felt her knees begin to give out and her vision swam into darkness as she felt her head grow light. In that instant, she also felt Spike's hands leave her hair, as he grabbed her about the waist, turning her in his arms, and keeping her from falling by pulling her against him.

Buffy clutched at Spike’s shoulders, her hands moving down to his biceps, her head feeling as if it might float away, filled with nothing but cotton and fog. She pressed her forehead into his chest, taking deep breaths of his familiar scent. The smell of strong coffee, cigarettes, and a touch of whiskey tickled her nose and helped to pull the fragments of her thoughts together.

Her first coherent thought was, where is he getting cigarettes and whiskey?

The second was, how come I never noticed what great arms he had?

The third was, why in the hell am I noticing his arms?

Hesitantly she raised her head, glancing up only to come nose to nose with Spike, his blue eyes filling her vision. Their eyes held, as time seemed to shift to neutral, still and deep like the night that surrounded them.

At his slight movement, Buffy’s eyes flickered downward, watching as his tongue appeared briefly, running over his full lower lip. Spike tightened his hold on her waist and she felt the now wet fabric move against her skin, the heat from his hands searing into her. Her breasts flattened against his chest and she felt the draw of her nipples as they tightened. A sharp tug of desire coursed down through the pit of her stomach to the core of her sex, and she felt the long muscles of her thighs tighten in anticipation.

Spike’s eyes widened, his pupils dilating, swallowing up the deep blue of his iris. His head tilted a bit to the left, and once again Buffy felt the pull—an invisible string drawing her in, until, at last, her lips met his.

For a long moment it was simply that. A small thing. Her lips pressed to his. Warm, soft, and gentle. And then, slowly, it became something else. Something more. Lips moved, slipping and slanting. There was an adjustment of noses and chins. A shifting of hands encircling her back, pulling her hips flush to his. A sliding of her arms up around his neck as warm, soft breaths mingled. Their tongues began gentle explorations of the warmth of each other’s mouths, the softer movements turning to nibbles and nips and bites of lips and jaws and necks.

Buffy’s lips moved from Spike’s neck back to his mouth, her hands moved up to grasp his neck, fingers twisting in to the curls at his nape. His hands followed suit, moving up her back, one hand tangling in the wet strands of her hair, the other flowing up over her shoulder to grasp her neck and pull her lips more firmly against his.

Buffy’s fourth coherent thought was, oh my god oh my god oh my god.

To Be Continued
Chapter Seventeen - Little Less Talk, A Lot More Action by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Once again I have to thank my excellent betas. Lots of good suggestions that really helped improve this chapter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike's mind was racing. He tried to focus on the soft lips that were hungrily devouring him and the fervent tongue that had thrust its way into his mouth and was now battling his own for supremacy, but all he could do was wonder when the other shoe would drop. When would Buffy pull out of his embrace with declarations of what a gross, disgusting, animal he was? When would her tiny fist come in excruciating contact with his nose? When would the vehement denials and heated accusations start?

Before his frenzied mind could begin to formulate the answers to any of these questions, Buffy lifted a leg and twined it sensuously about his own, urging him to action. Never being one to sit around and wait for trouble to find him, he slipped a hand down her back and over the curve of her rump, pulling her flush against him. At Buffy's sudden intake of breath, Spike knew the Slayer had felt his arousal, but amazingly she didn't pull away. Instead, she shifted her hips ever so slightly against the hardness of his erection, causing some breathing problems of his own.

His hand remained cupped against her buttocks, squeezing and caressing the firm flesh, all all thoughts of what exactly was happening or why it was happening fled his brain. It was a wonderful feeling; having a soft, warm woman in his arms. Buffy’s breasts were flattened to his chest and he could feel the staccato rhythm of her heart beating in time with his own.

Despite the fact that they were only yards away from the rest of the wagon train, Spike was seriously considering simply pulling Buffy to the ground. He wanted nothing more than to feel the length of her body pressed under his, to feel the heat from her body radiating through him.

However Spike wasn’t quite so overtaken with passion that he didn’t realize the folly in that act and he moved his lips to Buffy’s ear to whisper, “Best take this to the wagon, luv.”

The responding moan that rose from her galvanized him to action and he moved to scoop her into his arms. For a brief moment, he flashed on an old film and he felt just a bit like Rhett Butler carrying Scarlett off to his bed. Unfortunately, his Scarlett didn’t quite know her blocking and as Spike dipped his knees to lift her, her chin collided with his forehead and she reeled back, the soapy mass of her hair swinging down and across her face.

“Yeowwww.” The screech that Buffy gave was followed by a litany of curses that would have impressed the ex-vamp if he hadn’t been focusing solely on staying upright as Buffy pushed away from him, her hands scrabbling to get her soapy hair out of her eyes. “Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.” She hissed, stomping her feet against the pan and rubbing furiously at her eyes. “God, it burns.”

Spike quickly grabbed the towel that was hanging on the back of the wagon and dunked it into the remaining pail of now cooling water. "Here now, stop that," he admonished, moving her hand away and placing the wet towel over her eye. He grasped her elbow, trying to draw her closer to inspect her injury, but she very deliberately moved out of his grasp.

His arm, still outstretched as if he was imploring her to return to him, finally dropped to his side and a tight, leaden feeling began to build in the pit of his stomach. The other shoe had finally dropped—with a thud that was loud enough that any fool would know the ramifications. But even knowing that, and even with the sickening feeling that had crawled out of his stomach to tug at his now beating heart, he took a hesitant step towards her.

Her own hand shot up at his movement, stalling him, her eyes still hidden by the towel. "I'm fine," she snapped. She took a shaky breath and continued in a much softer tone. "It's okay, really, just some soap in my eye. It's not stinging so much . . . anymore . . . the water's working." She paused and at last looked at him, squinting at him from red, watering eyes. "Thank you."

"S'okay." Though he’d aimed for nonchalance; he hit slightly up and to the right of mildly perturbed. Even though he'd known all along that the kiss would end this way, it still hurt. In self-defense, he drew on the cold, hard shell of indifference that had withstood over a hundred years of abuse.

When she held the rag to her eyes again he sighed in frustration. "It's probably the lye," he muttered.

Buffy glanced at him again, still dabbing at her red and weeping eyes. "What lie? I wasn't lying." Her tone was clipped and she straightened her shoulders as she turned to face him full on.

"Not a lie.” He frowned. Was she being purposely obtuse? “Lye. What the soap is made with in these times. Lye soap."

She cocked her head as his words filtered through. "Lye? Like in . . . lye? I am washing my hair with lye?" Her voice grew increasingly shrill as the sentence progressed.

He shrugged attempting to extricate himself from a meaningless argument he knew was simply her defense against talking about what had just happened between the two of them. "Yeah, well, lye and lard—"

"Lard?" She practically bellowed the word, but at Spike's warning look cast a quick glance around before lowering her voice to hiss, "Lard? You're telling me I was washing my hair with lye and lard?"

"'It's what these people make soap from, Slayer." Spike tried valiantly to keep the growing hostility out of his voice. He lost that battle when Buffy raised a skeptical eyebrow at him. It didn't have the same effect, what with her red, watering eyes, but it served the purpose to irritate him none-the-less. "You know, I'm sorry I even had the bloody idea!” he growled. “Should have left you stinking to high heaven and marinatin' in your own juices."

Buffy's mouth fell open in shock, and he took the advantage and pressed forward. "You," he leveled a finger at her, "are a right bloody bitch, you know that?"

“Well, excuse me,” she huffed, “for getting a teensy bit testy about finding out I’m washing my hair with corrosive chemicals.”

Spike closed his eyes, his lips tightening into a thin line, as he attempted to rein in his anger. After a few cleansing breaths, his nostrils flaring with his barely controlled annoyance, he leveled a look at her. “That’s not what’s got your knickers in a wad, Slayer, and you know it.”

Buffy swallowed hard, the thin white cotton of her camisole and petticoat wet and plastered to her body. Watching her, Spike had to fight off his body’s urges. The raging erection that had abated during the mishap with the soap suds, had come back with a vengeance, and it was taking all his self-control not to just grab her to him and kiss some sense into her. Of course, strangling her was also an option.

He watched as she steeled herself, jerking her chin at him. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

His eyes narrowed at her. “Oh, sure you do. All this huff and puff and tempest in a tea pot isn’ about there not bein’ any No More Tears shampoo.” He paused and watched as she took a breath and held it. He relaxed his scowl and gave her smile that bordered on wicked. He knew he was treading on thin ice, but for some reason couldn’t stop himself. “This is about us kissin’”

“It is not,” she snapped, her chin jutting even further.

“Is too.” He pronounced with a firm nod of his head. He’d decided to push her and push he did.

“Spike . . . ”

He knew she was trying to sound tough; the big bad slayer threatening to bust his butt if he didn’t back off.

“Buffy . . . ” He mimicked back to her, knowing it furthered her annoyance and yet not able to help himself. She wanted a fight, she’d get one. He wasn’t going to back down from what happened.

For a moment Buffy seemed to study him, as if taking measure of his stubbornness on this subject; the odds of her actually winning this fight. After a moment, her head titled a bit and her chin relaxed. She looked up into the darkness of the sky, then back at him. Spike could almost see the confidence flow back into her body. “So what?”

Spike blinked, perplexed by her sudden about-face. He wasn't sure where she was headed but fairly certain he wasn’t going to like it. “What do you mean, so what?”

A slow smile spread across the slayer’s face; a smile that immediately alerted Spike to the fact that he’d made a dreadful mistake, a misstep, that had allowed her to have the upper hand. “So what? We kissed. Big deal.”

“Slayer, if you think for a moment—”

“Exactly, Spike. It was a moment. A crazy, insane—”

“Incredible, delicious—”

“Stupid moment.” She raised her voice to trump his comment. At his look, she continued, “We’re both under a lot of stress, it’s totally understandable.”

He raised a brow and regarded her suspiciously. “Oh, is it?”

She nodded, but pulled her eyes from his, turning away from his direct scrutiny. “Of course. We’re scared—”

“Speak for yourself, Slayer.”

She shot him a look from the corner of her eye. “We’re stranded here, cut off from the world we know, fighting to get home – alive – and so we turned to each other. Besides you being so nice and—”

He threw his hand up, halting her words and took a step toward her. “Whoa, wait one mo – you’re tellin’ me you decided to thank me for bein’ so nice by sucking my face off?”

Buffy turned back to him, but quickly looked away from his questioning eyes, tossing the towel over the back of the wagon bed. “Don’t be a pig, Spike.”

Spike smirked at her. “Didn’t think I was pig when you kissed me.”

She looked at him sharply. “Me? Now wait one minute, I did not kiss you.”

Both of his eyebrows rose at her statement. “No?”

“Absolutely not,” she huffed. “You kissed me.”

Spike let out a bark of a laugh. “That’s a good try at revisionis’ history there, pet. But you kissed me.”

She rolled her eyes and waived a hand at him dismissively. “I so did not kiss you.”

Buffy’s fisted hands were on her hips, the flare of anger raging in her eyes. She was using that emotion to fuel her denial of what had happened between them and suddenly Spike knew that now was not the time to try to bring those walls down. His own doubts had begun to gnaw on the edges of his own beliefs. He knew what had happened, and he even knew why – wishing with the whole of his being that just once he wasn’t the love sick sap that was kicked about like a ball in play – but he definitely didn’t want to think about what it might mean for the two of them.

For once his rational mind was able to beat up and hold down his irrational, emotional responses. He listened to that still, small voice, realizing that until he could figure out his own feelings in this matter, discretion was the better part of valor.

Yet his own stubbornness refused to relent and allow him to admit to something that wasn’t true. “You sure as hell did kiss me, Slayer. Leaned right in and laid a good one on me.”

Buffy’s eyes widened and she shook her head vehemently. “Oh, no, no, no! I didn’t not lean. There was absolutely no leanage.” Her hand fluttered up to press against her breast, the fingers visibly trembling.

Seeing this, the chill hand of guilt reached out of his newly found soul and wrapped around his heart, crushing it just a bit. She’d been through a lot today with the heat exhaustion and now they were at each other’s throats again. Where had it all gone wrong? He’d only tried to help. Had only wanted to try to make things better for her. He sighed in frustration, turning away from her. Just proves that no good deed ever goes unpunished.

“You’re right, Slayer.” He sighed again, kicking at the dirt and wishing it was even darker than it was. He needed some place to slink back in to; a place to hide away from these feelings that he didn’t want and didn’t understand. “Don’t know why I even bothered . . . was me that kissed you, and, believe me, if I could take it back I would. You were right, just somethin’ about being here and alone and needing . . . ” He looked back at her with empty, tired eyes. “Well, no use gettin’ into that. Let’s jus’ put it behind us and move on.”

"Oh." She breathed the word so softly he barely heard her. Her eyes, which had been round with wonder, now darted down and away from his scrutiny.

“Water’s there to rinse your hair. It’s cool now, so as soon as you’re done you should get wrapped up and into the wagon. Don’t need you sick with the croup on top of everything else.” He turned to walk away, needing some space between them so he could separate out the tangle of emotions he was feeling.

“Where . . . where are you going?”

His shoulders, which he’d been holding rigid, slumped. “Jus’ gonna take a walk. Maybe gather some more wood for the fire tomorrow.”

He didn’t turn back to look at her, knowing that those green eyes now held the power to slice his heart into tiny bits. Funny thing, that. She wasn’t the Slayer any longer, but here in this wilderness, both of them devoid of any special powers, she had an even a stronger hold over him. She didn’t need a stake now to do him in. She could cut him to the bone with just one lash of her sharp tongue, one rebuke from her cold heart.

He walked into the woods, out of her sight, and felt a familiar comfort in the darkness that surrounded him and welcomed him home.

To Be Continued
Chapter Eighteen - With Noting Between You and the Dark by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
As always, to my wonderful, terrific and talented betas xyellowroset, beanbeans, and Holly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It was strange how things could change so quickly—this day, for instance. It had been miserably hot throughout the day as the sweltering sun beat down from a clear blue sky, without so much as a wisp of cloud to offer solace from the heat. Then came night fall; the darkness bringing with it a chill that set into the bones and rattled the teeth.

Buffy's mood was as changeable as the day had been. When Spike had walked away, into the woods, she'd been seething with anger. She'd hurried through her bath, using the remaining lukewarm water to rinse her hair and to wash the grit and grime from her skin. But the joy of finally feeling clean was weakened by the still churning emotions after her fight with Spike.

Now, sitting in the wagon, damp hair and soaking wet chemise and petticoat doing little to ward off the cold dark night, Buffy was rethinking her actions. Loath as she was to admit it, she knew she'd reacted irrationally to his kiss. Their kiss, she corrected herself. As much as she'd like to deny it, she'd been as active a participant as he'd been.

But in her defense, she reasoned that he had simply taken her by surprise. One minute she was relishing clean, hot water on her skin and the feel Spike's fingers massaging her scalp. Before she could even register what she was doing, she'd found herself leaning back into the feel of his strong chest supporting her and the movement of his fingers along her temples, relaxing into his embrace.

She realized now that at the time she'd felt safe, possibly for the first time since they'd been transported here. And it had been such a pleasure to escape from the tension and frustration—to allow her whirling mind to ease away from the troubles of trying to find their way out of this time, trying to survive. She remembered feeling her knees give way, feeling lightheaded and free. And then, suddenly, there were his arms, turning her and pulling her against him, his lips meeting hers.

It had felt good. More than good, it had felt right. Like she was where she belonged, where she needed to be. Letting him hold her, touch her, kiss her, making everything better in such a delicious way. Even now, the memory of his mouth on her neck, his hands pulling her close, made her shiver. She could blame it on the damp clothes, the chill of the night air, but she knew she'd be lying to herself.

Just like she'd lied to him.

Buffy peeked out the back of the wagon, her eyes scanning the dark outlines of the trees. Glancing up at the sliver of moon that hung in the sky, she worried about how long Spike had been gone. She glanced at her wrist and frowned in frustration at old habits and the wristwatch that she'd forgotten to put on the day they were transported. It was on her dresser, more than a hundred forty years in the future.

The sky was pitch black, so it was probably closer to midnight than to dawn. Still, Spike had been gone too long, and even though the thought of rehashing what had happened between was the last thing Buffy wanted to do, she couldn't push down the empty, lonely feeling at his absence.

Vulnerability. She hated feeling this way; had always hated it. It's why she'd always fought to be the one in control, the one leading the way. She'd been taught early on that leaning on someone, needing them, was the quickest way to heartache. Oh, other people always talked a good game, making promises, swearing they'd be there when you needed them, but when things got tough, they were always long gone. She'd learned that lesson as a child, from a father whose promises were as fragile as the message notes they were written on.

Angel had reinforced the lesson when he'd walked away from her. She knew in her heart that he'd made the right decision, for both of them. They would never have been able to make it work, for so many reasons. But it still felt like she was being discarded, abandoned. So she'd pulled the shattered remnants of her heart and ego around her like a shield and had plowed on through life, vowing to never again let someone close enough to hurt her, make her weak.

Wasn't that the stumbling block between her and Riley; the cause of all their recent arguments? She wouldn't let him be the strong one—wouldn't lean on him. She couldn't get him to understand that it wasn't about him. It wasn't about worrying about him, or taking care of him. It was about taking care of herself, of her heart. She just couldn't let down her guard with him or risk opening her heart only to once again be hurt, to be left behind.

But here, now, Buffy was beginning to realize that the armor she'd cloaked herself in wasn't protecting her, it was dragging her down. She shivered again, remembering the thrill of Spike's touch, the jolt of electricity that ran through her when his body was close hers, his hands roaming her body. She hadn't felt passion like that in . . . well, a long time. She hadn't allowed herself to let go and simply feel.

Yes, it frightened her that it was Spike that was calling this out in her, but the fear was nothing compared to the realization of how much she missed feeling this way—the overwhelming exhilaration of being swept away, of opening up and showing the tender parts of her soul and trusting that they would be safe and protected.

She wasn't sure why she was willing to risk this now . . . here. And with Spike. They were in danger; they may never find their way home. But for the first time in a long time, she wasn't the strong one. And it wasn't within her control to change that. Spike was the one that fit in here, he was the one that seemed to know what do and say to help them find their way through.

And Spike was human here. Had a soul. Certainly that had something to do with her softening feelings toward him. It was only logical that his newfound humanity would make her feel differently about him. She didn't let herself ponder too long why Riley's humanity just left her feeling defensive and isolated.

Easier to deal with the here and now, than to borrow trouble from a future to which she may never return. Right now she had to make things right with Spike. The only way to do that was to open up to him and talk through whatever was going on between them. It wasn't going to be easy, but she knew she owed it to him. And to herself.

The soft crunch of boots on the dirt outside of the wagon caused Buffy to sit up from where she'd curled on her mattress. Realizing that her wet camisole left nothing to the imagination, she pulled the blanket more securely around her and then waited for him.

He climbed through the opening of the wagon, coming up short as he caught sight of her. From the look on his face, it was obvious that he'd hoped she would be asleep.

"Hi," she ventured softly, her eyes imploring him, even in the darkness, to accept her apology without her having to actually use the words. She'd been a jerk, but she was still hoping to come out of this without having to grovel too much.

He looked away from her, moving to the opposite side of the wagon. He furtively glanced in her direction again, before turning his back and stripping off his duster.

Buffy took in a deep breath. "I was beginning to worry."

"No need for that," he said, his voice muffled as he pulled his shirt over his head, not bothering to unbutton it. "Can take care of myself, Slayer."

His use of her official title caused Buffy's heart to skip a beat. "I know you can. I was just—"

"Look," he said, glancing over his shoulder at her. "You were right. I was wrong." He turned to face her, his eyes studying hers for a moment before gazing down at his boots. "Said so before, didn't I?"

Buffy blinked and opened her mouth to object, but he turned from her, sinking down to his knees on the pile of blankets that made up his bed. "Thought some more on it while I was out. You and I, Slayer, we need to keep things straight between us if we're gonna get home. We gotta work together, yeah, while we're here. But we both know that once we're home it'll be back to every vamp and Slayer for himself. Just the way it is. The way it's supposed to be. You don’t want to be havin' another vampire in your life, and I sure as hell don't want to be worryin' about your ass."

He turned back to her, his hands going to his belt buckle, the steel in his eyes visible even in the murky darkness of wagon. "When we get back, my number one goal will be what it's always been—get this bloody chip out and get back to what I do best." He whipped his belt out of its jean loops, the snapping of the leather causing Buffy to recoil from him, her eyes wide. "Killin' Slayers."

Buffy felt the rush of breath leave her as his cold eyes bore into her. "Is that so?" She whispered, almost too softly to hear.

"Yeah," Spike said, his voice softening a bit. "Just like you'll go back to doin' what you do best. Slayin' vampires. What you was made for, yeah?"

Buffy couldn't stop her lower lip from trembling, or her eyes filling with tears. She only hoped the darkness would cover her emotion. "Yeah, Spike, that's what I was made for. Thanks for reminding me."

She watched as his shoulders slumped a bit, his head tilting as he tried to see her face more clearly despite the lack of light. She covered her weakness, turning her back to him, pretending to be absorbed in straightening the bedding on her mattress.

She hadn't heard him move, but suddenly she felt his hand, tentative, on her shoulder. She held still a moment, fighting with whether to take the crumbs he was offering, but instead she pulled away from his touch. She wasn't about to take his pity.

"So, when should we be close to Plattsville? Maybe the next day or so?" Her voice was hoarse, and she cleared her throat. "We can get inside the mystery of that coin and maybe get ourselves home. Back to what both want."

She could feel his hand, still hovering near her shoulder and she tensed her body for another touch of his fingertips. She held her breath, willing him to move away. Pity or no, she wasn't sure she could turn from him again—and yet she knew she'd never forgive herself that weakness. When she felt him move back to his own bedding, she let out a trembling sigh.

His voice was gruff but not harsh when he spoke at last. "Thanks for reminding me." She could hear him rummaging with his bedding. "Now where the bloody hell . . ."

Buffy looked over at Spike, watching as he frantically searched the pockets of his duster, until at last he stopped, tossing the cost violently to the floor. He took the remaining bedding and stood, shaking it and then tossing it just as vehemently. Reaching for the oil lamp, he lit it and repeated his search of both the coat and the bedding, as well as the floor around him.

"What?" Buffy shook her head, shrugging in confusion at this new annoyance, wishing she could just go to bed and sleep this hideous day away.

Spike, his eyebrows drawn together, leveled a look at her. "The fuckin' coin is gone."

"What?" Buffy barked, jumping up to stand beside him. "What do you mean it's gone?"

"Just what I said, Buffy. It's gone." He picked up the coat, again rummaging through its pockets. "Was storin' it in this inside pocket for safe keepin'. At night I've been putting it under the flour keg here. When you mentioned the bloody coin, it reminded me that I hadn' put it away for the night."

"Did you check the floor, the blankets, maybe it fell out when you took the coat off."

"Did you not just see me do that? No, it's not here."

Buffy glanced around the wagon in frustration. "Where could it have gone? Could it have fallen out of your coat?"

The ex-vampire shook his head. "Not likely. This inside pocket is deep and has a flap." He flipped the coat over, showing her the pocket. "It's why I chose to keep it there. On my person. It's not like . . . wait."

"Wait," Buffy raised a brow. "Wait for what."

Spike's tongue came out, running along his lower lip, as he appeared to ponder the floor boards of the wagon. "Know it was there this morning." He glanced at Buffy quickly, then down again. "There was only one time when this coat was off me today."

"When was that?" Buffy asked, noticing that Spike was studiously avoiding her gaze, his teeth gnawing almost nervously on his bottom lip. A weight formed in the pit of her stomach as she watched him fidget.

After a long moment, he let out a sigh and looked her in the eye. "When I was off helping Shay with the Cooper's back axel. Took the coat off when we went to lift the carriage."

Buffy nodded, urging Spike to continue. "Where did you leave it?"

Spike's eyes shifted again, down to the coat he still held in his hands, then back to her. Buffy's heart clenched in fear at the look on his face. "Had someone hold it for me. Just for a minute."

Buffy's eyes narrowed, the fear now moving into up into her throat, making her chest tight. She looked down at the duster and slowly back at Spike. "And who was that, Spike. Who did you have hold the coat?"

"Katie."


To Be Continued
Chapter Nineteen – And Now Looking In Your Eyes by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks go to my betas beans, Holly, and eman, who helped me push through my writer's block. Special note to beans for talking me through some tough spots and asking all those questions that push me to think about my writing.
~~~~~~~~


"It's not missing, Spike," Buffy corrected. "We both know where it is."

The sun was low in the sky; Buffy guessed it was nearing two in the afternoon, and she was looking forward to setting camp for the day. The steady rocking of the wagon had worked its way up her spine, causing her neck to stiffen and the beginning of headache.

"Not sure of that yet, now are we?" Spike had the decency to look away from her skeptical look.

Buffy grimaced, shaking her head. "Where else would it be? You said yourself that it couldn't fall out of that pocket and Katie was the only person that their hands on that coat other than you. Face it, Spike. That skanky, frontier ho-bag has our magic coin."

"Yeah. . . " He sighed, keeping his eyes focused on the landscape. "She does."

"Damn right, she does, and we're gonna get it back, and then I plan on playing a game of kickball with her ass."

"And how you gonna do that, Buffy? Go up and demand it back? She stole the thing; she's not gonna just hand it over to you. And you accuse someone of something like that in this day and age, you better be able to back it up with proof. How are we going to prove she has it?"

"Fine,” Buffy reluctantly conceded, whipping off her sun bonnet and mopping her brow with it. “You're so smart, how do you plan on getting the damn thing back?"

"Tit for tat." Spike shrugged.

Buffy’s brows drew together in puzzlement. "Her tits are what?"

Spike sighed, darting a glance at her. "We do to her, what she did to us. We steal it back."

"Oh, okay . . .” Buffy frowned. “But how? Where would she have it? It could be anywhere."

"Way I figure it, it's gotta be in one of two places.” Spike slapped the reins and the horses let out a whinny and sped up a bit. “In her wagon, or on her person. We'll have to split up and search—"

"Oh, oh, can I guess which one of those places you want to search?"

His eyes shifted to her again. "Makes sense for you to take the wagon and for me to—"

"Take her?"

"Will you shut yer yap for just two seconds?" He slapped the reins again; this time the horses tossed their heads, showing their annoyance with Spike’s rough handling. "She and I, we've already talked, we know each other a bit. You can search the wagon while I keep her occupied and try to suss out if she has the coin on her."

"Oh, occupied.” Buffy nodded, looking away, suddenly very interested in the rumps of the draft horses that were now pulling them up a slight incline. “Is that what they called it back then?"

"You got a one track mind, luv.” The ex-vamp raised a brow, a small smile quirking the corners of his mouth. “And it leads right into the gutter.” At her look, he continued in earnest. “I'm not interested in that bint, Buffy. She's not my type. And even if she were, I have enough on my hands with—"

"Me?" Buffy looked over at him, locking eyes until at last he looked away. She continued staring at him, though, studying his profile, watching as his Adam's apple move against the collar of his shirt. For the first time, she noticed the fine lines that etched the skin around his eyes, showing more clearly that his face had tanned under the harsh sun.

He glanced back at her, opened his mouth to say something, but seemed to think better of it, and at the last minute turned his eyes to the landscape. After a few minutes—her eyes still burning into his skin like the afternoon sun—he pulled up on the reins, his now calloused fingers moving the leather reins from one hand to the other.

When their eyes met again, he refused to back down from her gaze. This time it was Buffy’s turn to look away, a hint of pink coloring her cheeks as she looked down at her hands. "We do it tonight?"

"Time's a wastin'.” He nodded. “Best get to it and get that coin back."

@~~@~~@~~@


Buffy took another furtive glance at her surroundings, making sure that no one could see as she moved along the side of Katie Monroe's wagon, hugging the shadows cast by the low hung, setting sun. She moved as stealthily as one could in a long skirt, trying not to make too much noise as she climbed quickly into the back of the wagon.

Spike had barely waited for the sun to begin its descent behind the trees when he sent her on the mission to search for the missing coin. It wasn't as if she'd never done any breaking and entering before, but now, in the darkness of the wagon, she realized how difficult this was going to be. She'd give her eye teeth for a flashlight. Hell, she'd even settle for of those little ones like Dawn kept on her key chain.

Carefully, Buffy moved further into the wagon, her eyes slowly growing accustomed to the darkness. It was just a bit larger than her own, but was equally as packed to the gills with wooden boxes and barrels, barely leaving enough floor space to maneuver.

Not sure how long she had before Katie's return, Buffy quickly searched all the likely places the coin might be hidden. It didn't take her long to realize how pointless the search was. There were, literally, dozens of places the coin could be squirreled away; under or in different kegs of flour, sugar and corn meal, beneath or inside the feather tick, or even under the wooden slats of the wagon's floor.

However, just as Buffy was about to give up in frustration, her eyes landed on a large, wooden trunk, pushed to the front end of the wagon. She made her way over to it, sinking to her knees to pry open the leather straps holding it closed. As she lifted the lid, the metal hinges moaning their complaint, a musty, sweet smell of roses wafted up to her nostrils. She blinked, stifling a sneeze as the cloying smell seemed to infuse the entire interior of the wagon.

"Holy potpourri, Batman," she mumbled, waiving her hand in front of her face to disperse the scent. As carefully as she could, she picked through the clothing stored within the trunk, moving aside assorted blouses, skirts, and dresses.

Her hands lingered on the beautiful fabrics—all made of bright silks and satins—their texture felt soothing and cool against her roughened skin. These were certainly not the clothes of rancher’s widow and Buffy found herself once again regretting that she hadn’t just decked the redhead when she’d had the chance.

She tried to swallow down the jealousy that rose as lump in her throat. Unbidden, the image of Katie and Spike, wrapped in each other’s arms, played across her mind’s eye. It wasn’t rational; hell, it wasn’t even sane, these feelings she had for the ex-vampire. She shouldn’t care whom he held, or kissed. And yet she did care. He was slowly breaking down the emotional walls she’d built to protect herself, and she didn’t know how to stop him. She didn’t know if she even wanted him to stop.

The sound of laughter—probably from the large communal fire pit in the center of camp—pulled Buffy from her musings, and she glanced around nervously. It had grown even darker and she knew time was running out if she wanted to find the gold coin and make her way out of the wagon without being caught.

She'd dug her way nearly half to the bottom of the trunk when something caught her eye. Raising a brow, she drew out a bright red and black stripped satin corset, its lace ribbon falling in tangles across her arms.

"Now I know where they got the phrase merry widow," Buffy grumbled, holding the garment up to her body to gauge the fit, its generous cups far exceeding her proportions. Rolling her eyes, she tossed the corset back into the truck and continued searching for the coin, only finding more lingerie.

Slamming the trunk closed, she stood, hands on her hips, and surveyed the wagon with a pout and a glare. Just as she was about to push up her sleeves and have it again, this time with a willingness to ransack the place, she heard the approach of soft footsteps.

Darting to the front of the wagon, Buffy ducked down behind a large flour keg and several smaller kegs of ground corn meal. She drew in a breath and held it, fearing that even the slightest noise might give her away.

The canvas curtain that covered the back opening to the wagon rustled, and she saw a dainty hand move through to grasp hold of the wooden backboard. Buffy gritted her teeth, screwing her eyes shut, preparing to leap from her hiding place and run like hell if she had to.

"Mrs. Monroe, I was wondering if you could spare me a minute of your time?"

Buffy tensed at the first sound of Spike's gravely baritone, but relaxed when she realized he was drawing Katie away from wagon. Staying silent and still, Buffy watched as Katie’s hand disappear, listening as she moved away from the wagon a short distance.

She waited a moment, her muscles relaxing gradually, then moved cautiously towards the wagon’s opening. Gingerly, she lifted the coarse canvas flap and peered out. It was dusk now, but still lighter than it was in the wagon, so she could clearly see Katie, who stood about five feet away. Thankfully, her full attention was on Spike, who was smiling at the redhead in a way that made Buffy’s stomach muscles clench and the pangs of jealousy nip at her heart.

She mentally shook herself; she didn’t have time for this nonsense. It was irrational for her to be angry at him—she knew this. He was only doing what they had both planned for him to do – work his charms on Katie and try to find their missing coin, at the very least giving her time to search the woman’s wagon for the missing gold piece. Whatever her feelings for the ex-vampire were—and they seemed to change as quickly as the seconds on a clock—he’d made it clear last night that his focus was on getting back to Sunnydale circa 2000 and, more importantly, back to status quo between the two of them. Her priorities should be the same.

Buffy watched as Spike tilted his head, a smile curving the corners of his mouth. He appeared totally fascinated by whatever the woman was saying. Moving behind the canvas flap, Buffy strained to hear their conversation.

“That is so kind of you, William.” Katie’s soft, southern drawl perfectly matched her wide, doe-eyed gaze. “Not having a man around, has been so very, very hard.” She plucked at Spike’s sleeve, and Buffy’s eyes narrowed as Spike took her slender hand and held in between the two of his.

“Oh, please,” Buffy hissed under her breath, “give me a break.”

Spike frowned, squeezing Katie’s hand. “I hope you don’t mind my asking, but your husband, how did you lose him?”

“Lose him,” Buffy snorted. “More like he made a run for it first chance he got.”

Katie ducked her head, pulling her had free and turning away from Spike. “Oh, it was, ah, consumption.”

“Constipation?” Buffy mumbled. “What a way to go.”

Spike rested his hand on Katie’s shoulder. “Consumption? I thought you mentioned it was sudden.”

Katie glanced quickly over her shoulder, catching Spike’s eye for a moment before turning back. Her hand came up, shaking to cover her mouth.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “And the Academy Award goes to … skanky, lying bitch for her role in I am Such a Ho-bag”

“It was sudden.” Katie’s voice shook and she wiped a tear off her cheek. “The doctor said it was . . . unusual. But Henry never had a very strong constitution.”

“I see.” Spike pursed his lips, regarding the woman with a skeptical eye.

Katie turned around in time to catch his look. “Do you … have you had experience with that terrible disease?”

Spike’s eyes darkened, and Buffy moved even closer to the opening to watch him. “Yes, I have. My mother.”

Buffy blinked, watching Spike closely. Was this true? Had his mother really suffered and died from a terrible disease? Or was he just telling Katie this in hopes of her opening up more to him?

“Oh, William, I’m so sorry,” Katie moved toward him and took his hand in hers again.

It was Spike’s turn to move away, pulling from her grasp to move further away from the wagon. The increased distance made it was harder for Buffy to see his face, but she could hear the deep timbre of his voice, a bit more husky than usual. “Was a . . . long time ago.”

“But I can see that it affected you.” Katie moved up behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

“Well, can’t take care of someone suffering that way and not be affected,” Spike said, glancing at the woman. “Guess you know that though, yeah?”

Katie pulled her hand back, her eyes meeting his. After a moment she nodded, then looked away. “Yes, yes, I do.”

Spike watched as she walked toward the communal camp site. She paused at the perimeter, watching the families gathered by the fire. Taking the opportunity, Spike glanced over to the wagon, catching Buffy’s eye, and signaling her with a quick wave of his hand to get, while the getting was good.

There was a part of her that wanted to stay, wanted to hear more of this conversation. She’d never really known much about Spike before . . . well, before he was Spike. He knew all there was about her; all about her family, friends, lovers. But what she knew about him was only what she had read in books that Giles had shown her. Mostly the grisly tales of his time with Angelus, Darla, and Dru as they cut a swath of destruction and murder across Europe.

To be honest, it had never crossed her mind to ask about what he was like before he'd been turned. He wasn’t that man any longer—or so Giles had said—so what difference would it possibly make? But the more she got to know Spike, the more she wondered if perhaps the Watchers' Council had it wrong. She could tell by his voice, by his face and eyes, that he was telling Katie the truth. And this fact made her curious as to what else of William was still there, in Spike. What other secrets could he be hiding?

Before she could ponder it further, Spike jerked his head in the direction of their own wagon again, imploring her to escape while she had the chance. She nodded, then made her escape, quickly moving to the far side of the wagon and racing away as fast as her feet would carry her.

She hated leaving Spike there, but now there was nothing for her to do but wait until he returned. Hopefully he could get Katie to either confess, or make a misstep that would lead them to their coin. In any case, she wasn’t sure she wanted to know how far Spike would go to make that happen.

To Be Continued
Chapter Twenty - All That Has Brought Me To Today by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks go to my betas beanbeans and xyellowroset without whom this chapter would pretty much suck :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~


It was pitch black by the time Spike made it back to the wagon, but he knew Buffy would still be awake waiting for him. The light from one of their lanterns flickered, clearly showing the shadowed movement of the Slayer as she moved restlessly around their small home.

Home.

It was strange, but this time– the sounds, the smells, hell, even the coarse texture of the clothing and strong pungent taste of the food – were already starting to feel like home to him.

He stopped beside the wagon, his hand running along the rough, splintered wood. Wasn’t that long ago, she’d have felt him there. Her slayer-senses would have been announcing the presence of a vampire nearby. He’d have sensed her as well--the sweet smell of her skin, the vibrancy of her power caressing pushing against him, causing his muscles to tighten, his cock to harden.

Now just the shadow of her drew him in. He took a deep breath through his nostrils, trying to catch her scent, the unique aroma of her, but the cloying smell of night blooming jasmine was too strong.

Some things gained; others lost.

He could feel the strong, steady beat of his heart in his chest, but could no longer sense the Slayer. She was no longer a threat to him, though. In this time, without her strength, without her chosen duty. So this loss, was it really that important?

He knew it was futile to focus on this now, but something had occurred to him tonight and he couldn’t keep from mulling it over and over in his head. He’d known it all along, but with the coin still missing, the possibly became much more real to him.

They might never get home, back to their own time.

The coin and its secrets might be lost to them forever, moving their former existence beyond their reach. He wasn’t, at heart, a pessimist, but the realization that they might be trapped in this time permanently had hit him square between the eyes. And it had brought with it strong memories of another time, another place, where he’d had to leave a former life behind. Walk away from a world that was forever out of his reach and begin again.

Tonight, talking with Katie, he’d felt that mixture dread and excitement roiling in his stomach; it was the same feeling he’d had after having been turned, when the shock and full-on rush had worn off and he’d had to accept that his world had changed, that he would no longer live in the light, but forever more walk in the darkness with Angelus, Darla and Dru.

After Buffy had made her escape from Katie’s wagon, Katie had come on to him. And in that instant, as this woman had pressed her body against his and drew his lips down to meet hers, Spike knew for certain, that if things changed forever, if he and Buffy never got back to the future, he’d accept it and find a way to adjust. As he always had, year after year, decade after decade.

Now, watching Buffy’s shadow move across the canvas, he wondered how difficult it would be for her. In many ways this was like coming home for him, old skills resurfaced, like an old knife newly hone. Nothing left behind to miss, no one to mourn his disappearance. But Buffy, how would she fit in? How would she cope without her family, her friends, her sacred calling?

He wasn’t giving up hope that they would find their way back, but he also knew that soon the Slayer would have to start facing some hard truths, and that fact had given Spike the fortitude to put Katie aside tonight, moving out her arms and the comfort they offered and making his way back to Buffy.

Whether she liked it or not, whether he wanted to admit it or not, they were tied together now, and those bonds needed to be secure, no matter how this adventure ended. In truth, it hadn’t been hard for him to walk away from Katie. He and Buffy might not ever again feel the vampire/slayer connection, but they now shared something deeper, more intimate. They shared a destiny.

He stepped back from the wagon, his boot heel snapping a twig.

“Spi—William, is that you?”

He smiled, realizing that while she might have lost her slayer senses, she still had a damn good ear. “Yes,” He answered, hoisting himself into the back of the wagon. Taking off his hat he turned to her, the words he’d been about to say stalling on his lips at the sight of her.

Buffy had changed into her nightgown, and standing near her bed with the light of the lantern behind her, the long smooth lines of her body were clearly visible through the thin cotton fabric.

Spike swallowed past the lump that formed in his throat, his hands pushing into the pockets of his duster to pull it closed over the growing evidence of his desire for her. Her eyes caught the movement and he watched a lovely flush of rose move up her throat to her light her cheeks aflame.

Her eyes caught his for a second, then lowered demurely. He decided, in that instant, not to back away from the situation. She wanted him. She may not understand why, or what it meant, but she felt something for him. Maybe it was only lust, spurred on by the fear of the unknown, but he was betting it was more than that, and now seemed as good a time as any to lay his cards on the table.

“Sorry,” he murmured, his voice a hoarse whisper despite his best efforts to regulate it. When her eyes rose to meet his again, he tilted his head a bit and smiled. “You’re a beautiful woman, Buffy.”

Her mouth fell open a bit, her lower lip trembling, and Spike had to fight every single muscle in his body to keep from taking the three steps to reach her and pull her into his arms. Just as he was about to cease the fight, she found her voice.

“Are you sure that’s not some residual leftover from your visit with Katie?” Her tone was sharp but her eyes betrayed her. He could hear the indifference in her words, but could see the fear, the insecurity in her gaze. When he didn’t look away, she swallowed hard and turned from him. “I’m sorry. I . . . shouldn’t have said that.” She glanced back at him over her shoulder. “I . . . didn’t mean it.”

Spike pursed his lips, then nodded, shaking off the anger her words had brought up. "Good. Because it’s not. It’s definitely,” he paused, his eyebrow rising slightly, “Buffy induced.” She turned away from him quickly, but not before he caught a small quirk of her lips. A smile? His brow rose further as he contemplated the possibilities behind that smile.

The light from the lantern still illuminated her body in silhouette, and he openly admired the graceful curve of her back and feminine swell of her hips. Prairie life might be hard on her, but the fresh air and hearty food had been good to her as well. There was a lushness to her now, like the sun and mountain air had matured her. His lips parted at the thought of tasting her skin, of feeling the ripe curves of her breasts in his hands.

He took a step closer to her, saw her shoulders tense then relax again, as he slowly, moved closer to her from behind. She jumped a bit and gasped slightly when his hands encircled her waist. He waited to see if she’d move away from him, maybe even turn and strike out at him for his boldness.

But she remained still.

So slowly, cautiously, he pulled her in to his chest. Again, he waited. And again, she didn’t move, didn’t speak. The soft sound of her breathing drew his head down, his nose nuzzling the juncture of her shoulder and neck. Her hair was pinned up, giving his lips easy access to the tender spot just behind her ear. As his lips moved against her, he felt her tremble in his arms, her head lolling back to rest upon his shoulder.

His hands rose, cupping her breasts through the thin fabric of her nightgown and, finally, she spoke. “We,” she started, then swallowed, and his lips followed the movement of the muscles in her throat. “This isn’t . . . it’s probably not a good idea.”

“Probably not,” he mumbled against her skin. His hands fondled her, his thumbs rubbing slow circles over her nipples as they tightened under his touch.

“Oh. . .” She sighed as his hands continuing to work their magic on her, dropping every now and then to run teasingly along her ribs, his long fingers tickling the soft undersides of her breasts. She found her voice again and whispered, “Maybe we should talk?”

“Talk, yeah, let’s talk.” Contrary to his words, his left hand moved up to the neckline of her nightgown, popping open several of the small pearl buttons and pulling the gown off her shoulder, baring more of her skin to his lips.

He licked and nibbled his way to her shoulder, then stopped, his breath rushing in and out against her damp skin. They should talk--had a lot to discuss actually. But this, this was also something that was needed. By both of them. A release. An acceptance of what was happening, to them and between them.

As he turned her in his arms, she leaned her head back, looking up at him with drowsy eyes and parted lips. Her gown hung off her shoulder, the tanned skin of her chest and the pale creamy flesh of her left breast with its rose red nipple peeking out at him through bits of lace. He dipped his hand beneath the lace, pushing it aside, then softly tapped her nipple with the tip of his index finger, watching as it crinkled beneath his touch, hardening further.

Buffy’s breathing quickened and he glanced up briefly to watch as she drew her bottom lip between her teeth, her eyes drifting closed.

His gaze returned to her breast. “So sweet,” he murmured, his head dipping so his lips could suckle at her nipple, his hand cradling the fullness of her breast.

He felt her head lift suddenly, could feel her eyes looking down at the top of his head. “Talk. You said we were going to talk.”

Reluctantly, he released her breast, giving it a slight nip before looking up. “You want to talk? Now?”

Buffy nodded her head earnestly, her breasts bouncing against his chest. His eyes flickered back to the ripe, red nipple that was now mocking him. He looked back into her eyes and frowned. “Buffy—”

Still trembling, she pulled slightly away from him, but still stayed within the circle of his arms, her hands clutching the material of his shirt. “I’m not saying we won’t . . . I mean . . .” Her face crumpled, her eyes squeezing shut. “Why does this have to be so hard?”

His hand traveled back to palm her breast, the other drifted over her hip to caress her rump, pulling her hips flush with his. “It’s hard because that’s what we do to each other, Buffy. Always have; always will.”

She opened her eyes and stared into his. When she spoke, her voice was husky with unshed tears. “We might not get home.”

Spike frowned. Knowing this was coming hadn’t made it easier. He nodded. “Might not. Got bupkiss from Katie about the coin. She hasn’t seen it, or so she says. Might have to make this time, this place, our new home.” He waited and watched the fear that moved across her features. “Not giving up, mind you. Not yet. But we have to realize it’s a possibility. Think you can handle that?”

“Do I have a choice?” Her chin dropped to her chest, her gaze falling away, unfocused.

“No. Only choice we have is to make the best of whatever is handed to us. Right now, we still got hope. But know that no matter what happens—” His hand moved from her breast, the fingers curling under her chin, tipping her face up and forcing her to look into his eyes. “Buffy, you gotta know, I will always take care of you. We’re in this together. Makes no difference what once was—”

“But you said—“

“Know what I said, Buffy. And I was wrong. I was talking out my arse. Was angry, that’s all and,” he sighed, pulling her closer until her chin rested on his chest, and looking down at her. Their noses were almost touching. “I was wrong. Everything has changed. Don’t you see that? Even if we do get home, won’t be the same. Not with either of us, not between us. Can’t go through something like this and not change. We could spend an eternity trying to suss out the why and what’s of it, but we’d be fools to deny it.”

“You’re no fool.” Buffy whispered.

“No, I’m not,” Spike agreed. “And neither are you. Just hard-headed – hey, hold there,” He gripped her tightly as she tried to pull away from him. “Just speakin’ the truth as I see it. Hard-headed myself, from time to time.”

“Yeah, from time to time,” Buffy huffed, her body moving against his, causing the button fly of his jeans to cut into his erection. He shifted his hips to ease the stress. Her eyes flew to his again. “Sorry.”

A corner of his mouth tilted. “Don’t be sorry, pet. Is what makes the world go round, yeah?”

She smiled shyly up at him. “Well, that’s one way to put it.”

He tilted his head, moving to touch his lips to hers. “I can put it another way, if you’d like.”

At the last minute, she turned her head and his lips met the softness of her cheek. “Spike, still with the talky here, groping can come later.”

He pulled back, giving her his best leer. “Well, glad to hear somethin’s gonna come later.”

Her mouth fell open then, just as quickly, snapped shut. “Pig,” she muttered.

He smiled rakishly, the hand on her ass massaging her pliant flesh. “Can’t see where the two have to be separate, pet. I can multi-task with the best of them.” He ran his right hand down over her hip, to grasp her behind the knee. With a fluid motion he pulled her leg up, wrapping
it around his hip. “Now, what do you want to talk about?”

Despite what appeared to be her best intentions, she smiled at him. “You’re incorrigible.”

“Been told that, yeah.” He nodded solemnly, his hand holding her leg against him. “This mean we’re finished talkin’?”

Buffy’s face grew serious. “Were you telling the truth?”

His face followed her lead, the smile replaced by a wrinkled brow. “Gotta be more specific, luv. When? About what?”

Buffy hesitated, biting nervously at her bottom lip. At last she said “About your mother . . . when you were talking to Katie. Where you just saying all those things to get to her? Get the coin?”

The hand holding her leg in place relaxed and she slid it slowly downward. “Yeah.” He could feel her tighten in his arms. “But it was also the truth.”

“Oh,” she relaxed. “She died of consumption?”

“She had the consumption, yes.” At her quizzical look he elaborated. “TB. Tuberculosis. ”

He could tell she recognized that name. “You can die from that?”

“Yeah, back then you could. . . more often than not you did.” At her puzzled look, he continued. “Gotta remember, luv, back then . . . now, there aren’t treatments for many diseases. No medications. Only treatment back then was a visit to a sanitorium.”

“That must have been hard for you and your family.”

“It was just my mother and , at that point.” Spike took a step back from her, finally releasing his hold on her. If he was going to go down this road, he was going to need some space. It was a thin line to walk between the truth he knew he could never share with her and the half-truth that would satisfy her curiosity. “My father had died a few years back and the girls married and had families of their own.”

“The girls?” She asked, her eyes following him as he went to sit down Indian style on the pile of blankets he called a bed.

“My older sisters.”

Both her eyebrows rose. “You had sisters?”

“Don’t sound so surprised, pet. Was human once…well, before,” He waived his hand in frustration, “Again, whatever. This whole timeline of back then not even having happened yet keeps scramblin’ my brains.”

Buffy dropped to her knees beside him. “I know you were human. I guess I just never, well, thought about you having a family--people you loved and took care of.”

He reached a hand out to caress her cheek. “See, it’s what I said. Things have changed, we’re both bein’ forced to see things in a different light here . . . look past our, well, pasts, our differences.”

She sat back on her haunches, the voluminous folds of her nightgown billowing about her. The gown was still unbuttoned, a deep vee that revealed the soft tops of her breasts to his perusal. His hand moved from her cheek to run slowly down the exposed midline of her body, stopping when his index finger hit the first fastened button.

Her hand stilled his, her eyes serious, earnest. “I get that. I really do. And I agree with you.” When his eyes flashed, the astonishment clearly visible, she continued with a smile. “Don’t look so surprised.”

“So?” he urged.

“So,” she sighed. “I get it. But I also get that right now, more than anything, we need to concentrate on getting that coin back. Until we know for sure that we can or can’t get home, I think we need to . . . go slow.”

The hand under hers moved, worrying at the button on her gown. “I can do slow.”

She laughed then, and the sound was so light, lyrical, and sweet that it wrapped around his newly working heart, making it skip a beat. “Good,” she said, still chuckling. She moved his hand away from her gown, placing it palm down on his thigh, with hers over it. She placed her other hand on his other thigh and leaned in to him. “Now, what’s the plan for getting the coin back?”

To Be Continued
Chapter Twenty-One - Let's Give 'em Something To Talk About by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
So very sorry for the very long wait for this chapter. Many, many thanks to beans and to nnaylime for their encouragement, prodding and incredible beta skills.
~~~~~~~

Buffy shielded her eyes with her hand against the glare of the sun that had crept into the wagon as it rose in the east. She raised her head and looked down at her pillow… or what had been functioning as her pillow.

Spike. More specifically, Spike’s chest.

He was on his back, his arms holding her loosely as she lay curled against him, her legs tangled with his in the twisted sheet. For a moment, Buffy couldn’t remember how they ended up like this, wrapped in each other’s arms, but then it came back to her.

They had talked well into the wee hours of the morning—mostly about Katie. It seemed safer to focus on the woman they were both sure had their coin and on how to get it back, than to look too deeply into these new feelings they had for each other.

But as the night had grown darker, the chirping of the crickets silenced by the approach of a new day, they tentatively reached out to each other and talked of other things—things they had never talked about before, and certainly not as a vampire and slayer. But then, they were no longer a vampire and slayer. They were a man and woman, and because it was silent and dark around them, instead of within them, they took tiny steps towards each other, and little by little, they began to get know each other as they never had before.

When they could no longer see each other’s faces, the lamp having guttered, they stretched out on her feather mattress, side by side, whispering questions and answers to questions to each other. Buffy listened to the timbre of his voice, soft and low, felt his arm come around her, pulling her against him as he told her what he had been like before he was turned – caring for and doting on his mother, spoiling his sisters, his heart held out freely for the woman he believed he loved. Buffy’s last thought before drifting off to sleep was that she just might be falling in love with that man.

This man.

A soft snore drew Buffy’s attention back to the reality of the man sleeping next to her. She studied his face; the sharp angle of his cheekbones, the cleft in his chin, the full lower lip. She had noticed these things before – but a hot vampire was still a vampire and she’d filed the appreciation for his features away in the “what a shame I have to dust him” folder and moved on.

Now, however, he was close enough to touch, and there was no stake keeping them apart. She drew a tentative finger across his lower lip and watched as his mouth quirked and he took a deep breath, puffing it out, his arms tightening around her. She could feel the long, lean length of his legs and his hip bone jutting against her, and she felt a coiling of desire low in her belly.

Her gaze swept down his body and she could see that he was hard beneath the tight fabric of his jeans. The telltale bulge was not quite hidden by the leg she had thrown over his. She chewed on her lower lip, moving her knee ever so slightly, grazing his erection. Instantly she felt the muscles of his chest and arms tightening. She smiled and looked back at his face. It was nice, knowing that she could do that to him, make him hard and hungry for her, even in his sleep. Buffy-induced. That’s what he said last night when she noticed his arousal. It stirred something in her, something deep and feminine, something that she realized she hadn’t felt in a very long time.

She moved her hand to the fringe of hair that had tumbled forward onto his forehead during sleep, somehow knowing that he would hate the curls that wound around her fingers. She moved to gently rake her fingers through the hair at his temple. The roots were dark, having grown out to his natural shade, but the tips still showed the remnants of the peroxide, and his hair was soft. So soft that Buffy couldn’t seem to stop herself as she lingered there, her fingertips tracing along the curve of his skull to the nape of his neck.

“Not nice to accost a man while he’s sleepin’.”

Buffy’s fingers froze, her eyes darting down to find Spike watching her, alert and focused. Slowly she withdrew her fingers from his hair, starting to move away from him, when he caught her hand and placed it on his chest, covering it with his own.

“Didn’ mean to frighten you off. Need to learn when to keep my trap shut.” His smile was gentle and sleepy, and Buffy couldn’t help but smile back at him, even while her eyes flickered shyly away. But a finger under her chin brought her gaze back to his. “It’s been a while since I’ve had a woman’s hands on me … felt nice.”

His voice was low, and the sincerity of his words struck her. Suddenly, all she could feel was the thrum-thrum-thrum of his heart beneath her fingertips, all she could see were the deep blue of his eyes and the darkness of his lashes, and before she really knew what she was doing, she was lowering her lips to his. His lips were soft, too—a stark contrast to the bristle of his chin and cheeks and she marveled at how his breath, which should have been icky morning breath, was actually sweet and warm, and it made her want to kiss him forever.

His hand came up to cup the back of her head, long fingers working their way through her hair and tickling the nape of her neck. She would have gladly stayed there all day, the feel of his lips moving against hers, his hands caressing her.

If only the sound of footsteps outside hadn’t signaled someone approaching the wagon.

“Wil, you awake?” The sound of Matthew’s voice outside the canvas curtain at the back of the wagon had Buffy and Spike scrambling out of each other’s arms like two teenagers caught in a guilty clinch.

Spike lurched to his feet. “Yeah, we’re up, Matthew. Give me a minute; be right out.”

Buffy could hear the cowboy retreat from the wagon and the sound of a flint striking as he lit his morning cigarette. She could still feel Spike’s kiss upon her lips when she took the hand he offered, allowing him to pull her to her feet.

The wagon was still dim. The canvas cut out much of the bright, early morning light, but she could clearly see Spike’s eyes as they raked over her body. Looking down, Buffy realized the buttons of her nightgown were still undone, her breasts nearly completely exposed, as the gown gaped open, drooping off her shoulders. She felt the heat of a blush cover her cheeks and moved to close the gown, but her hands were brushed away by Spike’s own.

The fingers of his left hand drew the fabric together, caressing her through the thin material, while this other hand crept around her waist, pulling her to him. He leaned in close, whispering in her ear, “We’re not finished with this. Let me find out what’s goin’ on that Matthew needs to see me about, and I’ll be right back.”

As she blinked up at him, his lips slanted into a sly smile. Slowly, his fingers trailed up her chest and neck and caught her under the chin, pulling her lips to his for a short, but searing, kiss. Pulling back a hair’s breath, his voice a soft purr, he said, “Now don’t go doin’ up what I’m just gonna have to undo when I get back.”

She nodded dumbly at him, watching as he ran his tongue over his teeth, donning a wicked smile before pulling her back in for another kiss. He released her so suddenly she nearly swooned, but caught herself and watched as he took three strides to the back of the wagon, whipping the canvas aside for a second as he jumped out.

As she heard the crunch of his boots on the leaves outside, Buffy let go of the breath she’d been holding since he’d kissed her the first time, then looked down at her gown, once again gaping open, her skin flushed, her nipples hard. Without a sound, she flopped back onto the mattress, unable to suppress a wicked smile of her own.

~~@~~~@~~~~@ @~~~~@~~~@~~


“We were getting a little worried; you’re usually one of the first ones up.” Matthew flicked the butt of his cigarette to the ground, grinding it out with the toe of his boot.

Spike glanced at the wagon, then back at the cowboy. “Sorry, yeah, was up late. . .” He smiled sheepishly, then shrugged. “ . . . ah, sorry.”

Matthew shook his head. “No apologies necessary – not your job to be out first thing. Just wanted to make sure all was well, that’s all. Hope I didn’t—” He cleared his throat as a smile flirted with the corners of his mouth. “interrupt anything.”

Spike retuned the smile, and winked conspiratorially at the other man. “Yeah, well, your timing could have been better, mate.”

“Newlyweds,” Matthew snickered, giving Spike a good-old-boy nudge to the ribs with his elbow.

Spike chuckled, looking past the cowboy to the crowd of men that were gathered by the wagon train’s main campfire. Matthew’s eyes followed suit, a frown replacing the jovial quirk of his lips.

“Busy mornin’?” Spike asked, not liking the look on the older man’s face. Something wasn’t right, and a little jiggle of worry skittered up his spine, settling at the base of his neck.

Matthew didn’t take his eyes off the crowd of men as their voices grew louder, more animated. “Yeah. Seems someone skipped camp last night.”

“What?” Spike gaze snapped back to Matthew who looked over at him. That little jiggle of worry turned into a knot as the muscles of his shoulders and arms tensed. Spike knew the answer to his question even before he asked, “Who?”

“That widow woman. Mrs. Monroe.” Matthew must have noticed something in Spike’s face, as he tilted his head and looked at him more closely. “You know anything about this, Wil?”

Spike’s eyes widened and he shook his head vehemently. “No. No, Matthew; I don’t. I helped the woman out a bit, like we all did, but she. . . I. . . she didn’t say anything to me about taking off. I swear—”

Matthew held out a hand. “It’s okay, I believe you. I’m sorry, Wil; I shoulda known you’d have nothing to do with her. Not with Elizabeth. . .well, you know.”

Spoke nodded, grateful that the man didn’t suspect that he had any use for Katie Monroe other than to help out, as the other men of the camp were doing. “Wonder why she left?” He proposed, trying to find out how much the cowboy knew.

“Good question.” Matthew shrugged. “Wish I had an answer. Everyone was pitching in, helping her out. She still owes Masterson some money. He let her pay a partial fare. Said she’d pay him the rest when she got to Plattsville. Figure that’s where she’s headed.”

“Bugger!” Spike muttered under his breath.

“What’s that?”

“Nothing. Just a bother is all.”

Matthew chuckled ruefully. “You could call it that.”

“How’d she leave?”

“Took her saddle mount. We checked her wagon, near as we can tell it doesn’t look like much else is missing. Maybe some hardtack, a canteen.”

Spike’s brow furrowed. “Is that enough for her to get to Plattsville? We’re still, what, three, four days off?

“By wagon train,” Matthew nodded, taking off his Stetson to run a hand through his hair. “But on horseback, depending on how many hours in the saddle she puts in, maybe half that.”

“You’re not goin’ after her?”

Matthew shook his head. “No; no use. No knowing when she left, she could have a good six hours start on us, and we can’t spare a hand to ride out after her. Masterson figures he’ll catch up to her when the wagons reach Plattsville.”

Spike swallowed to keep down the rising nausea in his stomach. “Yeah, guess that makes sense. Look, I’m gonna get our wagon hitched. If you need any help, let me know.”

Matthew nodded, turning to walk away. “Thanks, Wil.”

Spike stood for a moment, watching as the cowboy joined the rest of the wagon train’s men at the campfire. He ran a tired hand over his unshaven face, scrubbing at his eyes in frustration. What the hell were he and Buffy supposed to do now? The bitch had run off with their coin, no doubt about it. And by the time they got to Plattsville there was no telling what she’d have done with it. That was if they could even find her.

And why had she taken off so suddenly? Spike figured she’d nicked the coin to pawn it, but now. . . maybe she scampered off because she knew it was magical? He shook off the paranoia, kicking angrily at a stone near his foot. Hell, even he wasn’t sure the damn thing was magical. It was just a hunch—a shot in the dark.

But it was the only shot he and Buffy had at the moment. And come hell or high water, he was going to get that coin back.

Spike strode over to the wagon, jumping into the back in one smooth motion. Buffy, who was lying back on the mattress, sat upright, her eyes wide with surprise. Spike tried not to notice her gown, still unbuttoned, an obvious invitation to take up where they had left off and although there was nothing he’d like better, duty, in this instance, had to come before pleasure.

Buffy must have noticed the change in his mood. She frowned, tilting her head quizzically at him. “What’s the matter?”

“We’ve got trouble. With a capital 'T'.”

She smiled, flopping back onto the mattress. “Trouble? Right here in River City?”

Spike growled, more than angry that he had to foul up her good mood, not to mention the very good chance he had of getting into her knickers. When she looked up, her smile fading, he sighed, shaking his head. “No. Trouble’s in Plattsville.”

To Be Continued
Chapter Twenty-Two - Back in the Saddle Again by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
I know I say this every time I post a chapter, but this chapter it is PARTICULARLY true. My betas are the very best. Thanks so much to eman for putting up with niggling and inpatience in getting my beta back, and for graciously allowing me to steal your "motto" for Buffy's little job. And to beanbeans, ZOMG this chapter would not even be a twinkle in my crooked little mind if it's weren't for you. Not just because of your fabulous beta, but by being my biggest cheerleader. You truly rock, sweetie and I can never thank you enough for helping make me a better wrier.
“That sneaky, thieving, husband-stealing little slut!”

Spike stopped rummaging through the trunk of clothes to look over at Buffy. Her face was flushed with anger and her tiny fists clenched and ready to strike. “Luv, much as I’d like to sit here and watch you eviscerate the widow Monroe with the shear power of your vocabulary, we have to put a rush on.”

She went on as if she hadn’t heard him. “At least we know for sure now that she’s got our coin. Why else would she run? She knew we were on to her, and the little bitch snuck off in the middle of the night. And you!” Buffy spun around to face him, hands on her hips. “You can tell me any time now how right I was and how wrong you were.”

Spike, still crouched over the trunk, looked up at her, an eyebrow cocked. “Right about what, pet?”

“That she’s a slut,” Buffy huffed, jutting her hip and glaring at him. “Slutty McSlutterton.”

Despite the gravity of their situation, Spike couldn’t help but chuckle. “Slutty McSluttington?”

“No, Slutty McSlutterton. It’s the 'R' that makes it art, bonehead.”

They stared at each other for a moment and then both burst out laughing. Buffy, wiping tears from her eyes, sank down next to him on the floor. “Please tell me you have a plan and that we aren’t completely and totally screwed.” She glanced at the clothes he’d strewn about the floor while he was digging through the trunk. “Either that or you’re taking your revenge out on my wardrobe.”

Spike stood and pulled Buffy to her feet along with him, his face serious again. “I follow the bitch, catch her, and torture her until she tells me where the fucking coin is.”

“Now that’s a plan I can get behind.” Buffy nodded. “But how? She took off last night, no? How do we catch up with her?”

Spike moved to the other side of the wagon, picking up a pair of battered leather saddle bags. “Simple, I go out on horseback after her.”

“Wait,” Buffy said, tilting her head and watching as he began to throw some items from a keg on the wagon’s floor into the bag’s pouches. “What’s this 'I' crap, Kemo Sabe?”

“Because that’s what we have, Buffy. A horse. One. Singular. Shay came by when I was hitching up the team. Told me he could spare me a saddle horse, if I wanted to make chase after Katie.”

“You aren’t chasing anything without me,” Buffy said, her face set in that stubborn way he knew all too well.

He turned his back on her, moving to another keg and pulling out some dried fruit and hard tack. “Buffy, there’s no way I’m allowing—“

“Wait. Wait. WAIT.” Buffy threw up her hands When he didn’t turn, she walked over and swung him around to face her. I did not hear you say that you wouldn’t allow me to go with you. Please tell me I didn’t hear that!" Her index finger poked him sharply in the sternum, her chin jutting defiantly. “Because if I did hear you say that, I would so have to open a can of whoop ass on you.”

Spike donned his own stubborn look. He had to make her see how dangerous this was going to be—leaving the safety of the wagon train and heading into unfamiliar territory. He had to make her see reason, make her understand that he couldn’t keep her safe here, much less out on the trail. And if anything happened to her . . . well, he didn’t even want to think about that. “Buffy—“

“Don’t 'Buffy' me. I’m going with you. We’re in this together, Spike; you said that yourself. This is our destiny we’re chasing all over the prairie. Our destiny. The only way this is going to work is if we’re together.”

He closed his eyes and let out a sigh. Damn, annoying, frustrating, hard-headed woman. “Fine. Have it your way. Like you always do.” She smiled at him then and a little piece of his heart broke—forever love’s bitch. Shaking his head, he grumbled, “I hate it when my own words come back to bite me in the arse.”

Buffy’s smile widened. “Well, that’ll teach you. I’ve always said you talk too much.” She leaned in then and gave him a kiss on the cheek, before turning back to the clothes trunk. “Now, what does one wear for a search party?”


~@~~~@~~~~@ @~~~~@~~~@~~



The sun was sitting low in the sky by the time Spike reined the bay gelding in. He’d liked to have ridden into the night, but the horse was tired. Carrying two people through the rocky terrain had taken it out of the animal. His bay coat was dark with sweat, lather foaming under the reins and saddle blanket. The last few miles Spike had barely been able to urge him into a trot and he didn’t want to risk running the animal lame and being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

But it had been a good day and they’d managed to put quite a few miles between them and the wagon train. More importantly they’d probably gained some time on Katie, as Spike had pushed hard and taken few breaks. Saddle sore and stiff, he figured they’d both sleep well tonight.

Although sleeping wasn’t exactly what he had planned for the evening. It was, in point of fact, not even close.

The object of this fantasy tightened her grip on his waist, and Buffy squirmed against him as she tried to find a comfortable position behind him in the saddle. “We’re stopping here?” Spike heard the relief in her voice and smirked.

The sooner he got them off this horse, the sooner they could take up where they left off this morning. Mission be damned, if he didn’t fuck this woman soon he was going to explode, figuratively and literally. Those thoughts and the intimate plans to that end had kept his mind occupied for much of their ride. Well, that and Buffy pressed up tightly against him, her breasts flattened against his back, the softness of her thighs nestled against his. At this point, he was so hard he was seriously contemplating humping the horn of the saddle.

“Yeah, think so.” He tried to keep the lust from his voice as he scanned the area, noting the thick grove of pine and fir trees that lined the ragged edge of a small lake. Plenty of cover and fresh water to boot. “It’s a good place to set camp for the night.”

He swung a leg up over the horn of the saddle and jumped to the ground, turning to help Buffy dismount. As he caught her under the arms and drew her from the horse, she moved against him, and it was if time slowed to a crawl—her body sliding against his until just the tips of her toes were on the ground. He held her there, caught against him, her hands clutching his biceps, until the horse, impatient to make his way to the water, shifted and broke the moment.

“I need to water him and let him feed.” He settled Buffy on her feet, but did not let go; moving his hands to rest lightly on her waist.

“I could use with a little water and feeding too.” The smile she gave him was hesitant as she stepped out of his arms and turned to pet the geldings neck.

Spike cocked his head, trying to catch her eyes, assess her mood, but Buffy’s attention seemed focused on the horse. They’d been smack dab on top of each other nearly every minute since they left the wagon train that morning. She probably just needed some space. And perched behind him on the saddle, no doubt she was aching in places she'd rather not think about. No doubt her sudden aloofness didn’t have to mean anything more than being tired. And yet. . .

Spike moved to grab the horse’s bridle, figuring it was best to give Buffy some room; a bit of time to herself to stretch and relax. He could wait. “Let me get this tack off and get him taken care of. I can set up camp, get us a bit of dinner. Why don’t you stretch your muscles a bit?” He nodded toward the lake. “Wash up, you’ll feel better getting your legs under you and taking some of the trail dust off.”

Buffy gave the horse a last pat, turning to Spike. “Thanks; sounds like a good idea.”

Spike watched as Buffy walked towards the lake. She’d donned an old pair of his jeans for the ride, knowing her skirts would be both a bother and a danger. They were belted tightly at the waist and rolled up at the cuffs, being a bit too large for her. Still the sway of her hips entranced him; the jeans cupped her ass nicely and the white shirt she’d also borrowed from him, tucked into the waistband, accented her curves nicely.

Spike drew his lower lip between his teeth, watching as Buffy moved into the trees and beyond his sight. He wasn’t sure what was going on with her, but there was definitely something on her mind. But he had time to work that out --all evening, in fact. It was just the two of them, now, and Spike had something on his mind, too.

He glanced about, noticing the shadows of the trees already moving their way across the hillside. It would be dark soon, the moon rising in the clear cloudless sky. Nearly a full moon, if his recollection was correct. A heavy moon, a bright star-filled sky, the ideal setting for a seduction. He smiled then and threw his head back to look at the perfect blue sky.

~~@~~~@~~~~@ @~~~~@~~~@~~


The fire was crackling, the meager dinner of hard tack and biscuits were waiting, and so was Spike. The sun had set, the moon had risen, and Buffy was nowhere to be seen.

Part of him was worried. Maybe she’d wandered off, gotten lost, been eaten by a mountain lion. But just because she didn’t have her slayer strength any longer, didn’t make her foolish. She knew how to take care of herself.

Part of him was angry. Leave it to the slayer to get him interested then leave him high and dry with a nothing but beef jerky and sway back old nag for company.

Another part of him, however, situated to the south of his belt-line, was getting impatient. Sure this whole thing with Slayer was new; they’d only been thrown together in this situation for a few weeks. But in some ways, it felt like he’d been waiting for this moment forever. This girl was meant to be his . . . they might be chasing some damn coin that was foretold to be their destiny, but Spike knew—in the pit of his stomach, in the bottom of his heart—their destiny was tonight. And now, she was getting cold feet?

The part of him that was angry made friends with the part that was impatient, and they decided they weren’t waiting. One. More. Minute.

Tossing the aside the stick he’d been using to stoke the fire, Spike took off toward the lake following the same path he’d seen Buffy take. The woods got thicker closer to the shoreline and as he pushed through the last of the pine branches, he saw her.

She was in the lake, facing away from her, the moonlight reflecting off the bare skin of her shoulders and casting a shadow down the slender length of her back. For a few minutes he couldn’t move, couldn’t take his eyes from her. Hell, he was having trouble keeping his legs under him.

His eyes flickered for a moment to a pile of clothes that lay along the water's edge. She’d decided to take a bath; the cool, fresh water of the lake was simply too inviting to pass up. Silently Spike moved toward the shore, his hands making quick work of the buttons of his shirt, flinging the garment behind him without a thought. His jeans came next, and he unbuttoned them and let them drop, kicking them aside just as his toes hit the cold lake water.

With the water lapping at his knees, Spike stopped, watching as Buffy stirred the water with her fingertips, the water rippling low on her hips, her skin silver in the moonlight. He took a deep breath, reaching down to stroke himself, still shocked by warmth of his own flesh. His hand stilled as Buffy threw her arms out, as if welcoming the moon, a goddess embracing the night. Spike didn’t need anymore stimulation than watching her.

He continued to watch as she bent at the waist, knees dipping slightly, sweeping water up with both hands onto her shoulders and back. The movement exposed the delicate lips of her pussy—glistening, inviting. Spike must have made some noise, given himself away somehow, because Buffy straightened and whirled about, her hands instinctively coming up to cover her breasts. She was beautiful, his slayer, more so than he had ever imagined. Slowly he advanced on her, his fingers still wrapped tight about his cock.

“Look like some sprite, luv. A water nymph.” He continued to advance on her, even as she took a step back.

“What are you doing?” she whispered, and Spike could hear the catch in her voice—see her lower lip tremble.

“Come to see about you. Was worried some beastie had gotten you.” He smiled.

“I-I’m bathing.” Buffy stammered and took another step back from him.

Spike nodded, his eyebrows rising slightly. “Can see that. But I think it’s time you came out of the water, luv. Cold out here. Let me take you back the fire. Get you warm.”

He watched the muscles of her throat as she swallowed, her hands flitting from her breasts to her mons, unable to decide which to cover. He was close enough to touch her now, reach out a finger, and run it along her wet, slick skin. But before he could move, she skittered back a few more steps into deeper water. She was waist deep now and her hands came up to cross over her breasts, hiding the hardness of her nipples, but little else.

He tilted his head, then drew his lower lip slowly through his teeth. “You turnin’ shy on me, Pet?” His eyes raked over her body. “Weren’t shy this mornin'. All warm and rosy—"

Buffy sunk deeper into the water. “I-I’ve been thinking . . . “

Spike chuckled. “That’s never a good idea, luv.”

She swallowed again and Spike could see she was shaking. “I just . . . I’m just not sure—"

Spike took two steps towards her, taking her by the shoulders and pulling her up close against him. “You’re not sure about what, Buffy? That I want you? I can assure you, most definitely, that I do.” His cock was caught between them, and he brought a hand down to her buttocks, grinding against her.

“No. No, it’s me—" She placed her hands onto his chest, looking into his eyes.

“Not sure you want me?” His fingers moved down between her thighs, seeking out her clit.

She moaned as his fingers worked against her, her hands clutching his biceps. She closed her eyes, her head falling to his chest. “I do. I just don’t know how—”

He pulled her tight against him, tilting her chin up, kissing her and stopping the words of uncertainty. He knew she was scared. This was uncharted territory they were heading into. A vampire and a slayer . . . even here, even with all the changes they’d gone through—mortal enemies, turned reluctant allies, and now lovers. Lovers in a way that neither of them had ever been before. Human, both of them, with all the frailties that went with along with that condition.

He knew she wanted this, just as much as he did—she needed it too, just like him. But he could guess what lay behind her hesitation. She’d been with all of three men, near as he could tell, and all of them as a Slayer. Now here she was, just a woman, and out of her own time to boot. He was in the same boat.

He’d never been with a woman as a human. He’d been a virgin when he was turned. Only timed he’d ever fucked a human was just before or while he drained them. Not exactly experience he could fall back on now.

The kiss deepened and she relaxed in his arms, her lips moving against his. He nibbled her lower lip, then moved across the soft skin of her cheek to nuzzle her ear. “We can take this slow, luv,” he whispered. “Slow as you like. Don’t have to figure it all out tonight.”

He pulled back to look into her eyes, his hand brushing the hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear. “Not sure what this is, Buffy. But I know it’s real for me. Know I want you more than I’ve ever wanted anyone, living or dead.”

Her eyes grew large, luminous, and she smiled softly before pulling him down for another kiss. “I want you too. And I don’t care why.”

Spike smiled, leaning down to swing her up into his arms. “Then no more pussyfooting about then?”

She blinked, her brows drawing together. “What pussyfooting? There hasn’t been any pussyfooting”

His gaze fall from her pout to find that rivulets of water were making very interesting paths down curve of her collarbone and onto her breasts.

“There is definitely no–”

His lips silenced her, his fingers digging into the slick skin of her shoulders and knees. His mouth moved aggressively, his lips parting hers, his tongue working against hers. He pulled back when his lungs demanded air, his chest heaving as he stared down into her heavy-lidded eyes.

“Pussy—”she mumbled, her eyes unable to focus.

With a growl, his lips again possessed hers again. Her answering groan, low and deep, rising from her chest and flowing into his mouth, slowed his actions. His lips softened, moving almost reverently against her, nibbling and sucking her lower lip, his tongue sweeping inside her mouth. Slowly, tenderly, he worked his way across the soft down of her check, at last nuzzling his nose into the sweet spot just below her ear.

“Footing—” Buffy mumbled drunkenly as his lips nibbled at the column of her throat, his teeth catching her earlobe.

Spike carried her out of the lake, past the clothing piled by the shore, and into the woods. It was dark and chilly, and he cradled her to his chest, lengthening his strides to get them back to camp as quickly as he could. Her teeth were chattering by the time he lowered her to the ground near the campfire.

He unfastened the bed roll from the saddle and wrapped the scratchy blanket around Buffy’s shoulders. She was still shivering, but when she looked up into his face, she smiled, and he couldn’t stop himself from pulling her into his arms.

She reached up, running a finger over his lower lip. “You’re cold too.”

He rubbed his hands briskly over her back and shoulders through the blanket. “Yeah, well—”

“Let me warm you up,” she whispered, leaning in to kiss him.

He could feel his heart racing, the pulse throbbing in his neck, as she spread the blanket on the ground near the fire and lowered herself down onto it. Then she held out her arms, reaching for him.

“Buffy,” he sighed, settling himself next to her.

The fire light lit the planes of her face, glimmering off her long hair. Her eyes reflected the flames, and he felt a heat in himself rising from his groin and swirling into his stomach. He reached out, caressing her cheek, his finger then running down her neck, feeling her pulse pounding in time with his own.

She looked down, watching his long fingers feathering across her breasts. His thumbs slowly circled her nipples, and they hardened—tightening against his touch. He slowly pushed her back onto the blanket, propping himself up on an elbow to look down at her, his hand still on her breast, stroking and teasing her nipple.

She took a deep, shaky breath and his gaze captured hers. “We’ll take it slow, nice and gentle, it’ll be oka—”

“No.” The word shocked him, and his hand fell from her. “No, I didn’t mean . . . Please. I want . . I need . . . I just want you to be you. I just want to be me.” The last words were spoken so softly Spike barely heard her. She turned her head from him, looking into the flames. “I haven’t been able to be myself . . . to be with someone and be me.” She sighed, closing her eyes. “I can’t explain this; it’s so hard.” Looking back at him, her chin quivered.

Spike eased away from her a bit, trying to push down his own need to listen to her. “’s okay, luv. I think I understand. You and soldier boy—”

Her eyes flashed to his. “It’s not Riley’s fault. It’s not. It’s me. I can’t . . . I can’t be what he needs. I can’t seem to be what anyone needs.” She looked away toward the fire again.

“Bollocks!” He grabbed her chin, pulling her back to face him. “You’re too much woman for Captain Cardboard, and it’s your fault?”

“Too much—”

Spike laughed and Buffy shot him an indignant look. “Luv, you’re the Slayer. I’m sure White Bread couldn’t keep up with you if his life depended on it. Not your fault. Just the lay of the land.” His look turned sly, and one eyebrow slanted up. “Sounds to me like you need a man who can keep up with you, maybe even put you in your place from time to time.” He lowered his head, his mouth against her ear, voice no more than growl. “Someone to take control.”

He didn’t move, but shot a look at her from the corner of his eye. Her eyes were large, round, her mouth gaping open as she drew in a ragged breath. Oh, yeah, that’s exactly what she needed. She’d been holding back with Soldier Boy, afraid to hurt him, no doubt. The boy’s pecker would probably fall off if this girl really let loose.

But now, here, maybe he could give her a chance to be herself. To surrender to her feelings—her body—and not be afraid of what that would mean or what that would do to him, emotionally and physically.

He rolled on top of her, his thigh between her legs. Taking her hands, he placed them on either side of her head, holding them down while he stared into her eyes. “That what you want, Buffy? Want me to take you? I can, luv. I can take you hard, make you scream.” He moved his thigh against her clit and watched as her pupils dilate, her breathing becoming harsh and shallow. “Yeah, I think that’s exactly what you want. My girl’s been wasting time with blokes who don’t know how to treat her, how to take care of her.”

He pulled her hands above her head, taking them both in one hand, while his other hand moved down, flowing along the curve of her breast, the dip of her waist, the fullness of her hip. Reaching under her thigh, he pulled her leg up and over his hip, opening her to him. Dipping his head into the crook of her neck, he growled, “Let go, Buffy. You can let go, luv. I’ve got you.”

His cock slid between the lips of her pussy and she moaned, writhing against him. She tried to pull her hands free, but he held them tightly, somehow knowing she needed this; needed for him to show her he was stronger, prove to her that he could take whatever she had to give. Buffy whimpered, her hips thrusting against his, her other leg coming up to wrap around his waist.

“God, you’re a beautiful woman. Know that? All sleek curves and warm skin. Could eat you up, luv. Well, maybe later—” He smirked. “Want to fuck you good and proper now. Wanna fill that lovely quim and feel you come on my cock.”

Buffy shuddered against him as he leaned down and sucked on her neck, feeling her pulse on his lips. It was strange, even without the bloodlust urging him to feed, he wanted to bite her, mark her, suck her down. He kissed and suckled along her shoulder, at last biting down into the firm flesh of her upper arm. Buffy gasped, straining against him.

He entered her then, swiftly, completely, her cunt grasping him so tightly he thought he might come then and there

“Holy fuck. Christ,” he groaned. He huffed, pulling out and pushing back into her slowly. “Gonna work you over good, baby. Fuck but you’re tight. Snug as a cherry.” He laughed then, kissing her on the lips. “Not complaining. Nice, tight little cooch, fits me just right.”

“Yes. Oh, Spike,” Buffy clenched around his cock and Spike gritted his teeth. Damn the lack of vampire stamina. He held still for a moment, trying to back off his impending orgasm. Didn’t need to pop like a school boy before he’d gotten her off.

He tried to remember some of the recitations he’d learned as a boy. Mathematical equations, European capitals, even tried to bring up an image of Angel, which, in the past had always cooled his ardor. But the insistent drumming of Buffy’s heels against his ass, urged him on and he began to thrust within her.

She was bucking up against him, grunting with each thrust of his hips. He released her hands and she grabbed his shoulders, her finger nails leaving tiny crescent marks in his skin. He pulled out of her grasp, coming up on his knees and pushing her knees up to her chest, his cock pulling almost completely out of her before he buried it deep within her once more.

“Oh my god, oh, my god,” Buffy groaned, as her hands found her breasts, her fingers pulling at her nipples.

Spike leaned into her, rolling her hips up, angling her so that the base of his cock ground against her clit with each thrust. “That’s my girl,” he grunted, watching as she tossed her head back and forth on the blanket, her bottom lip clenched between her teeth. “God, you’re marvelous. So fucking hot, luv. Let’s see if we can get a bit deeper, heh?” He moved her legs over his shoulders, his hips churning.

He could feel the tightening in his balls, the coiling tension in the pit of his stomach, and he knew he couldn’t last much longer. Leaning down, he nuzzled her fingers off her breasts, his tongue swirling around one red, swollen nipple. Buffy grasped the back of his head, moving him to her other breast and he sucked the other hard bud into his mouth.

“Spike!” Buffy screamed, the walls of her cunt fluttering around his shaft, her thighs trembling on his shoulder.

“Fuck, fuck, fuck,” Spike grunted, his face buried between the mounds of her breasts. He wanted to stay right where he was, finish off inside her, but he knew he couldn’t.

With the last bit of strength he had, he pushed her legs off his shoulders, pulling himself free from her. His cock, released from the tightness of her body, slapped against his stomach, hard and glistening.

Buffy watched him, her breath coming fast and shallow, watched him, confusion clear in her eyes. Spike bit down on his bottom lip and fisted his shaft with one hand, his balls with the other. One pump, his thumb running over the head of cock and he came, the stream of come landing on Buffy’s flat stomach.

“What … why—“

“Got me a heart beat now, luv. Also means I probably have swimmers.”

Buffy, both eyebrows raised, reached down to run a finger through the goo on her stomach. “Oh,” she murmured. What he said seemed to have finally made it through her post-coital, bliss, because her head jerked up, watching him as he knelt there, his now limp cock still clutched in his left hand. “Oh. Oh. Oh, my God!”

To Be Continued
Chapter 23 -My Wild Frontier by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks to eman and beans for their wonderful betas
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ground was cold and hard against Buffy's side as she awoke; the thin bedroll provided very little cushioning. She couldn’t tell what time it was—although she guessed a few hours before dawn, as it was still dark, but the moon hung low in the sky.

She wiggled a bit, trying to find a more comfortable spot, and felt a sharp rock or twig poking into her hip. Something else, equally as hard and even more insistent, was poking into the small of her back.

With a sleepy yawn and a sigh, Buffy snuggled back against Spike's chest. Even asleep, his soft snores rustling the hair on her neck, he was hard for her. Buffy couldn't help but smile and chuckle, biting down on her bottom lip to keep from waking him.

One of his arms was tight about her waist, the fingers of his hand curled softly against her ribs, his knuckles brushing the underside of her breast. His other arm was curled up under her head, allowing Buffy to use his bicep as her pillow. It was a nice way to wake up and an equally wonderful way to fall asleep.

It had been a long time since she'd felt this good . . . this cared for. It wasn't just the great sex; more than that, she hadn't felt what she'd had with Spike last night since her time with Angel. Spike had taken care of her last night, like he'd been taking care of her since they'd arrived in this time. It had been strangely liberating to not have to worry about being too strong, too powerful . . . too much. To just be Buffy.

She hadn't realized how much she'd been holding back in life, with Riley, with her family, with her friends. She was always so worried that she'd hurt them or lead them into a situation they couldn't handle. Or worse still, one she couldn't handle.

As much as she cared for Riley, as much as she trusted him, she was always afraid that no matter how hard she tried, she'd never be the woman he needed. She often found herself backing off, trying to make sure that he didn't feel less of man because she was the Slayer. When your girlfriend could kick your butt six ways to Sunday, it wasn't easy holding on to your masculine pride. Buffy got that; she really did. But that understanding didn't make it easy. Sometimes she just wanted Riley to forget about who she was, what she was, and just treat her like a woman—not someone that he had to compete with in the training room and worry over in the bedroom.

He loved her; Buffy knew this. But he didn't really know her. In a fight, he had to be her equal, getting just as many punches in, just as many kills. In bed, it was as if she were his goddess, ever on a pedestal, worshipped, but at arm's length. It wasn't that he was an inattentive lover; he was incredibly tender, startling at times in his awe of her, the way he cherished her. Always sweet and gentle and nice.

But last night Buffy realized that sweet and gentle and nice wasn't always enough; wasn't always what she needed. Last night, Spike had taught her that. Taught her by taking her and holding her making her his. He hadn't been worried about hurting her or her hurting himself. He seemed to know, instinctively, that she'd needed someone else to hold the power last night. And he'd held it, and held her, pushing her past the borders she'd set for herself. The rules had all changed in one night.

It had been incredible. Nerve shattering, toe-tingling, and mind-blowing, and they'd only made love once. Okay, the ending had been a bit of a shocker. Buffy had never once considered the ramifications of their new situation beyond want, take, have. Thank God Spike had thought of that possibility. Buffy shuddered at the thought of having to deal with a pregnancy, in this time, along with everything else they were facing..

A hand cupped her breast, as soft lips brushed against her ear, whispering, "Uh-uh, no bad thoughts."

Buffy, startled, tried to look up over her shoulder at him. "I'm not . . . I didn't know you—" Her voice hitched as his fingers teased her nipple, his lips now nibbling along her neck. His hips gave a little thrust, the hardness of his cock rubbing against the bare skin of her back. ". . . were awake. I wasn't—"

"Don't lie to me, Slayer." Spike's voice was gruff, his breath warm on her skin. "Could feel you get all tense against me. Know you well enough to know your brain was kickin' into gear and makin' you question things you should just be enjoyin'."

Buffy pulled her lower lip between her teeth, the feel of his body against hers and his lips on her neck was making it hard to form a coherent thought, much less words. At last she said, "Don't call me that."

Spike stopped kissing her and she could see him out of the corner of her eye, looking down at her. "What? You mean 'Slayer'?"

"Yes." Buffy nodded. "I'm not—"

"Sure you are." He went back to kissing her neck and shoulder. "Always have been, always will be. No matter where you are, no matter what happens, the Slayer bit will always be a part of you. Just like me. Even with a heart beat and takin' in the sunlight, part of me will always be a vamp."

"No—"

"Yeah. . ." Spike nipped at her neck to prove his point. "But if you like it better, I'll call you Buffy. Or luv, or pet, or . . . sweetheart." At the last endearment, his hand drifted down over her stomach, a finger delving briefly into the hollow of her belly-button, before settling into the curls between her legs.

He must have felt the shiver that ran down her spine, because he ground himself against her ass and growled into her ear, "Buffy."

His finger circled her clit and then dipped lower. She was wet already—she had been since she'd awoken to find him holding her, his cock hard against her. His fingers felt slick against her flesh as she looked back at him again, needing to see his face as he touched her like this. He kissed her then, he tongue pushing into mouth in rhythm with his fingers moving in and out of her.

She moaned into his mouth, trying to twist around to face him, but he held her tight. His hand strayed from her wetness; slippery fingers trailing down the inside of her thigh as he gripped her there, raising her leg up and back over his own. With a smooth move of his hips down and forward, he slid the long hard length of his cock into her, the sudden fullness making her gasp.

"There," he grunted. "That should calm you down."

Buffy took a deep breath, trying to focus on getting air in and out of her lungs, but it was no use; the only thing she could focus on was the slip and slide of Spike's cock in and out of her. "Re . . . Relax ? Are. You. Kidding?"

As Spike's fingers dug into the flesh of her upper leg. His other arm snaked under her and curved around her waist, holding her as he thrust. While his voice was gravely and he was panting, his tone was casual. "I know you, Slayer, from the top of your gorgeous head to the tips of you dainty little toes. Been studying you long enough, yeah? You're like a thoroughbred."

Buffy stiffened in his arms a bit. "Wait. You're saying I'm a horse?"

Spike chuckled, his chest moving against her back. "You're like any other high strung animal, pet. You need to be run hard. Work out all those kinks." At the last word he drove strongly into her, his hand, splayed across her abdomen, holding her steady.

"Kinks?" Buffy's voice rose in pitch as Spike's thrusts grew stronger.

He outright laughed this time, warm and low, and somewhere deep within Buffy she felt something give way, as if she were melting around him. The feel of his arms, the hard length of his cock, the warm breath of him on her shoulder; it was suddenly all too much, and yet, at same time, not enough.

"Not those kinda kinks, luv. But. . ." Spike swirled his hips and Buffy let out a groan in response, "we can talk about those later. Now, where was I? Oh, yeah. A thoroughbred: that's what you are—through and through. Sometimes skittish and temperamental, but in the end, good breeding always shines through."

"Oh, oh—" Buffy's breathing was shallow, her heart pumping fast in her chest, but all that really seemed to matter was Spike inside her, his voice growling in her ear, his fingers digging into her thigh. "I know . . . I know I should be taking offense to this. You know, being compared to livestock and all. But . . . um right now? Not so much with the offended, and more with the . . . Oh. More."

"Want more, do you? Think I can handle that." Spike grunted and with one smooth move, he rolled her onto her belly. Before she could complain about the weight of him pressing her into the ground, he pulled out of her, coming up onto his knees between her outstretched legs. "Look at you," he said, leaning forward, slipping his hands beneath her abdomen and drawing her up onto her hands and knees, "all sleek skin and muscle. Yet round and plump, too. Nice and ripe and girly, jus' where you should be."

Stroking her sides, Spike's hands came at last to fondle her ass, squeezing and massaging her hips. "Gotta be in you again. Damn, but you're like a drug to me. Can never have enough of you." He gripped her hips with both hands and pulled her back onto his cock. "Christ, you're luscious. Could stay inside your cunt forever."

As Spike pushed into her again, Buffy dropped to her elbows, her forehead dipping to the ground. In this position, each thrust of his cock bumping her cervix, the pressure was intense. She didn't know whether to cry out for him to stop, or to go harder.

She must have groaned, because his paced slowed. "Am I hurting you?" he asked, his voice concerned as he ran a hand along her hip and up her side.

"No. God, no." The sound rushed from her and she didn't recognize her own voice; hoarse and husky with lust and desperation. He. Must. Not. Stop. With each stoke, Buffy could feel herself loosen, opening for him, wet and slick. Her thighs trembled and the muscles in her abdomen clenched, tightening, as he pulled almost completely out of her and plunged back in.

The slap of his balls against her clit were soon joined by the fingers of his left hand and with just a few deft strokes, she came hard, clutching the blankets and screaming Spike's name. But even as her pussy spasmed around him, as the coil of energy released and relaxed in her stomach, she knew she wanted more; needed more.

With more energy than she thought she possessed, she pulled herself off Spike's cock, turning to face him. Hitting him square in the shoulders with the heels of her hands, he toppled onto his back, sprawled before her, his erection glistening against abdomen.

For a long moment, they watched each other, her crouching at his feet, him, laid back, his eyes hooded, biting his full lower lip in that teasing way that made her squirm. When at last he quirked an eyebrow at her, she crawled up his body to straddle this thighs.

She meant for this to be sexy, wanton, and wild—to just have her way with him, as he had done with her, but her legs were still trembling from the aftermath of her orgasm and her hands were shaking as she took hold of his cock, attempting to angle it toward her. Spike didn't help matters when he smiled that wicked smile of his, pressing his tongue behind his upper teeth.

When her second attempt to mount him went slightly to the left and behind her, Spike grasped the base of his cock, his fingers curling over hers, and put his other hand on her hip, guiding her home. "There, luv, sink down on—oh, fuck!"

Buffy may have been tipsy with post-orgasmic bliss, and she might not have been the slayer any longer, but she still had incredible muscle control and she used every bit of it on Spike as she slid down his shaft. At the look on his face—his eyes closed, his lower lips drawn between his teeth—she laughed, tossing her now damp and tousled hair back over her shoulders. Arching her back and presenting what she knew was a fabulous view of her breasts, she moved slowly back up the length of him, until she grasped just the tip of his erection within her.

Spike opened his eyes, his hands reaching for her hips to push her back down, and so began the rhythm. Buffy covered his hands with her own, caressing his long fingers, then moved to the flexing muscles of his forearms, the bulge of bicep, until at last she reached his shoulders. Leaning forward, her nipples grazing his chest, she kissed him.

His tongue swept against her own as his hips bucked beneath her. Each thrust and pull sent exquisite pulses to her clit and deep inside her. She knew she was close to climaxing again, could feel the gathering of tension. Pulling her mouth free of his, she sat up, her fingers moving to her clit. "Oh, yes. Spike. Oh, God." She looked down to find him watching her, his hands clutching the blankets, knotting them in his fists as if to keep himself anchored to the ground.

With a final stroke to her clit and jerk of Spike's hips, she came, her world once against bursting into shards of pleasure, welling up into her chest and down into her thighs.

When coherent thought at last returned, Buffy looked down to find Spike seated deep within her, his hand nestled in her pubic curls. Was he trying to bring her off again? Impossible, she was limp as a noodle. Then she realized that his fingers encircled his cock, squeezing the base in an attempt to keep from coming.

Buffy quickly pulled off him, kneeling between his legs, pushing him aside to grasp the length of him in her two hands. Leaning in, she swirled her tongue around the tip of his penis.

"Oh, God. Buffy. Yes, luv, yes."

The muscles in Spike's legs tensed, his abs drawing in. Engulfing as much of his cock as she could, her lips moved down the shaft, sucking strongly as she came back up to the head. One more swirl of her tongue, her lips lingering on the head, and Spike came, his hips bucking, his hands slipping through her hair, caressing her until he finished.

At last, releasing him from her mouth, Buffy rested her cheek next to his softening cock and smiled up at him. He seemed so spent, so totally wrung out. Stretched out before her, an arm flung over his eyes, he was smiling, but every other muscle in his body seemed to have fired and gone limp. She glanced at his penis, then back up to his face, and felt a surge of womanly pride.

He must have felt her eyes upon him, or perhaps it was her toying with his cock, but after a few moments Spike propped himself up on his elbows, peering down at Buffy with something akin to amazement on his face.

"Look at you!" He laughed, his hand coming to rest in her hair, pushing it back from her face and tucking it behind her ear. "My beautiful girl. All flushed and fucked and grinning like the Cheshire cat, with my cream all over her chin."

She laughed then too. "Oh, Spike. How can you make something so crude, sound so, well, hot?"

"It's a gift." He shrugged, opening his arms to her. "Now come here."

She moved into his embrace, stretching out beside him, their skin sliding sensuously together. His hand went to her breast. "Not again?" Buffy looked expectantly into his eyes.

"What?" Spike's eyes widened, then he smiled. "No, luv. Maybe before. In fact, no maybe about it. If I was still a vamp, that, little girl, would have simply been the warm-up. I'd still be fucking you, having you beg me for mercy, making you come over and over." He nodded, ducking in to nip at her lips. "Yeah, if I could, I'd still be in that hot little cunt of yours, or that lovely mouth, or maybe even that sweet—"

"Spike," Buffy gasped, grabbing at the hand that had slipped down to cup her ass. "You're incorrigible."

He pressed his lips her neck. "Well, you can encourage me all you want, but I'm human now, and it seems once I pop, takes me a while to rise to the next occasion."

Buffy sighed. "That's okay, we should probably talk anyway."

Spike looked down at the serious expression on her face and smirked. "Yeah. Especially about this." He ran a thumb along the curve of her lip, before sucking it into his mouth.
.
Buffy scrunched her face up and shook her head. Spike just tilted his head and cocked an eyebrow at her. "As much as the human male survival instinct I'm now favored with is urging me to fill you up with little babies, we have to be careful."

Buffy nodded. "Yeah, I get that. But you pulling out, is that the best way—"

"Nope. Far from it, in fact. You know as well as I do I can still get you up the spout even if I don't finish in you. But even if we had them—which we don't—condoms in this era? Not very effective and even less pleasant."

Buffy wrinkled her nose. "Ewwwww… what did people do?"

"They had babies, luv. Lots of babies.

"Well," she sighed, "one more thing to worry about. And speaking of things to worry about, hadn't we best be on our way? Not that I wouldn' t love to stay here cuddling with you all day."

Slowly Spike rolled Buffy over onto her back, resting his weight heavily upon her. "Not exactly a cuddlin' kinda bloke, luv." When he pulled back he gave her a sly smile and began to move down her body until his chin rested on her mons. Rubbing his cheek against the still wet curls, he said, "Still early. Not even daylight yet. Think we can spend a few more minutes lazyin' about." He nipped at the soft skin at the apex of her thighs. "Besides, somthin' I've been dying to taste since the day I first laid eyes on you."

As he lowered his mouth to her clit, Buff gasped, arching back. “Oh. Oh. Oh, my god!”

To Be Continued
Chapter 24- Somewhere Other Than the Night by Uisge Beatha
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much to all the readers who have hung in there through this story's long hiatus. I appreciate all the chapter comments and emails -- you're the reason this tale is still rumbling along. As always, thanks to nnaylime and beanbeans for the fabulous betas.
Disclaimer: Buffy and Spike belong Joss, and I thank him for their creation. I merely take them out and play with them occasionally.

Chapter Twenty-Four – Somewhere Other Than the Night

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The tapping of a woodpecker woke Spike. The muffled sound coming from the stand of woods was the first signal of dawn, and he opened his eyes to see the night’s darkness broken by light streaks of purple and pink.

Buffy was snuggled in next to him, her warm breath on his neck and her arms flung possessively around his waist. He tightened his arms around her; the last thing he wanted was to wake her, but he knew if they were to have any hope of catching up with Katie, they needed to get an early start. "Buffy." His voice was hoarse from sleep, so he cleared his throat and tried again, a bit louder. "Buffy?"

She stirred in his arms, her nose nuzzling into his ear, and at last peered up at him through tousled hair.

"Morning, luv."

She sat up, pushing her hair from her face, and the blankets he'd drawn over them earlier that night fell to her waist. "Morning," she mumbled. "What time is it?"

Spike reluctantly pulled his gaze from her bared breasts to squint at the brightening horizon. "Five-thirty, maybe closer to six."

Buffy's eyes darted from the rising sun to Spike. "It's amazing that you can do that—tell the time just by looking at the sky."

"Yeah, funny that." He continued to watch the sunrise. "Haven't been able to watch this since. . . well, feels like forever. But some things, you just never forget."

"Yeah, well, it comes in handy." Buffy flopped back, pulling the blankets up to her chin, watching him intently. "You come in handy, actually."

Spike looked at her then, an eyebrow quirked. "Bet you say that all the cowboys." A blush spread across her cheeks, and he leaned down to kiss her. She turned her head at the last moment, and he pulled back to look into her eyes. "Second thoughts?"

Buffy sighed, closing her eyes. "Second thoughts? I'm up to two-thousand nine hundred and forty-two now."

Spike's jaw tightened and he started to pull back, but her hand curled around his neck, keeping him close. When her eyes opened, he didn't see the glare of rejection he’d expected—just confusion.

"Guess this was a turn of events neither of us planned on, eh?" He pushed a tendril of hair from her face, his fingertips lingering on her temple.

"What part of this entire situation could we have planned on? Look, I’m notoriously bad at this."

Spike chuckled, sitting back, and running his hand down her arm, to twine his fingers with hers. "From where I was sitting . . . and laying . . . and standing, you seemed very, very good at this."

Buffy blushed again, but she didn't pull her hand from his. "You know what I mean."

"Yeah—" He nodded. "But I think what happened—you know, us—what happened between us, was just nature taking its course."

"Nature? A slayer and a vampire?"

"Hey, you said it yourself: neither of us are what we used to be. Here, I'm just a man—"

"A man very much at home," Buffy sighed. "This time—it fits you, Spike. You fit in here. And I don't."

"I lived in this time, Buffy." He squeezed her fingers before releasing them to run his hands through his disheveled curls. "Might have been a long bit ago, but I know what this time feels like, what it requires."

"Yeah, you do." There was a pout on her face and resignation in her tone. "As hard as this is for me to say, I don't think I could have done this without you. I mean, I know we’re nowhere near home, but I'm sure I would’ve been dead, like, five times without you."

"You're doing okay." At her skeptical look he continued, taking her back into his arms. "No, really, you are; you're doing great. You could handle this whether I was here or not. Hell, Buffy, you can handle anything that's thrown your way. If anyone knows that, it's me. Thrown enough your way and watched you dodge it, only to come back and kick my arse."

Buffy laughed. "Yeah, well, that's the truth."

Spike couldn't resist returning her smile. "But I have to be honest and tell you it is kind of nice to be the one pulling your arse outta the fire, to be my own man here. Haven't been that in a long time."

Buffy's smile faltered. "Since you were turned, you mean?"

"Yeah, then, but also since I got this damn chip in my head."

Buffy tensed in his arms. "That chip didn't take away anything but your ability to hurt people."

"Might seem that way to you, but I look at it a bit differently. Don't think I even realized how much it took from me until I ended up here."

Buffy relaxed in his arms, resting her cheek against his chest. "It's being human. You've got a soul now, Spike; that's what you were missing."

Spike took a deep breath, not wanting to the break the moment by arguing with her. But he knew, deep in the brand new soul that had been hoisted on him, that it wasn't all he'd been missing. Yeah, it was part of it, but not all. Knowing right from wrong, having a moral compass that worked without a jolt of electricity to his brain, was certainly a benefit. But even more than that, he appreciated getting back some respect. Hell, even feeling needed. Chipped, he was useless – thrown in with a group of humans that barely tolerated him. He didn't even have Dru to make him feel needed any longer. She might have been as loony as they came, but she was his loony. She'd relied on him to be her knight in tarnished armor, to make sure she was safe and protected.

Now he was regaining some of that respect. The other men on the wagon train relied on him, knew that he was capable of handling whatever was thrown at him. In this time, he was able to be Buffy's protector— keeping her safe and helping her through what was, to her, unfamiliar territory. And it felt good – like nothing had felt for him in a long, long time. And for the first time he wondered how bad it would really be just to stay here.

Buffy's voice drew him from his thoughts. "We've just got to focus on catching up with Katie. I know that coin is our ticket home. I hate to think about what might be happening while we've been gone, with no Slayer on duty. The sooner we find that coin and get things back to normal, the better."

"Right," Spike murmured, slipping his arm from about her and rising to his feet. He flipped the blanket over her. "Gonna go fetch our clothes, Slayer. When I get back, I'll make you some coffee, and then we can hit the trail."

Buffy sat up, clutching the blankets to her breasts. "Spike?" He turned back to her, and she smiled. "You okay?"

Spike's gaze held hers for several long seconds before he nodded. Before she could say more, he turned and walked towards the lake to retrieve their clothes. "Back to normal," he whispered.

To Be Continued