Guardians of The Median by Emmee
Summary: Picks up directly following 'The Gift'. Spuffy all the way! The Powers bring Buffy back because of a prophecy, but what does that mean for her and Spike? What about Dawn? We've got Whistler, Joyce, prophecies, love, the Key, Angel, LA gang, Scooby fun, research parties, bit of action, snarking, quipping, great dialogue ('least I think so), and comedy. Plenty of spuffy loving. Will prob'ly end up being pretty long and involved. Come along with me as I see where fate leads our favorite couple. Oh, and the others are there too. *eg*
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 109534 Read: 26360 Published: 05/05/2005 Updated: 04/24/2007

1. CHAPTER ONE by Emmee

2. CHAPTER TWO by Emmee

3. CHAPTER THREE by Emmee

4. CHAPTER FOUR by Emmee

5. CHAPTER FIVE by Emmee

6. CHAPTER SIX by Emmee

7. CHAPTER SEVEN by Emmee

8. CHAPTER EIGHT by Emmee

9. CHAPTER NINE by Emmee

10. CHAPTER TEN by Emmee

11. CHAPTER ELEVEN by Emmee

12. CHAPTER TWELVE by Emmee

13. CHAPTER THIRTEEN by Emmee

14. CHAPTER FOURTEEN by Emmee

15. CHAPTER FIFTEEN by Emmee

16. CHAPTER SIXTEEN by Emmee

CHAPTER ONE by Emmee
Author's Notes:
SPOILERS: Seasons 1-5, up to 'The Gift'

Many, many thanks go out to my wonderful betas. Meli and Stephi- you guys are the best! Stephi- I can honestly say that I don't know where I would be if it weren't for your and all your help. You rock!!

This IS a WIP, so bear with me. Reviews feed my muse! She tends to disappear if she doesn't hear what people think. So lemme know what you think and I can assure you that the frequency of updates will increase.
disclaimer: All characters of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel the Series belong to the master himself, Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, WB, Fox, etc. and whoever else. I own nothing. I just enjoy playing with them.

________________________________________________


Guardians of The Median

_________________________________________


Spoilers: Buffy S.5 Finale ('The Gift') and Angel S.2 Finale ('There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb').
_________________________________________




"When The Beast threatens, the essences of The Chosen and The Childe combined shall bring about The Key, which is hidden within the depths of Dawn. The Childe will protect The Key for a time, until The Beast will finally have it in possession. The Chosen will defeat The Beast, but will be unable to stop The Tool of The Beast from using The Key. The Chosen will give her Gift to deactivate the doorways, thereby making it safe for The Key for a time.

"One of dark. One of Light.
Eternal sunlight. Eternal night.
One, a child Chosen.
One, a Childe turned.
The Chosen twice returned.
The Childe twice reverted."



________________________________________






_____________________

Buffy Anne Summers
1981-2001
“BELOVED SISTER, DEVOTED FRIEND”
"SHE SAVED THE WORLD
A LOT."
______________________






CHAPTER ONE

Buffy opened her eyes and was met with clear blue. She blinked a couple of times thinking it must be the light from the portal, but then looked around to see a beautiful meadow with green hills, gorgeous sky and pristine lake.


"Wha..?" She asked confused. She stood up quickly, automatically taking a defensive stance. Seeing nothing in the immediate area, she relaxed a bit and took in her surroundings more thoroughly. "Ok Toto. I don't think we're on the Hellmouth anymore."


All of a sudden a white light appeared directly in front of her, blinding her, so she had to close her eyes. After a few seconds, she took the chance to open them, and as she did, her breath caught in her throat at the sight before her. She wasn't sure if she could trust what she was seeing or not.


The figure gave her a loving smile and she finally found her voice. Gasping, Buffy breathed one word,


"Mommy?"


_______________________________________________________________




Summers' Residence-


Spike didn't remember where he was or how he got there. All he knew was that in his whole existence, as a human and as a vampire, he had never felt as lost as he did now. He felt like he hadn't moved in days. And hadn't fed for even longer. He finally encouraged himself to sit up after several moments of just lying there enjoying the sweet nothingness that came with not knowing. He knew he definitely had to figure out where he was and how he came to be here. Damn, he couldn't remember anything. The only thing he knew for certain was that something was missing. Something was gone and as a result he felt inexplicably empty. He blinked his eyes trying to clear his vision. They were dry and swollen, but he couldn't remember how they got that way. When he could finally see, he looked around and found himself to be in the Summers' basement. Which, of course, he recognized from his days of sneaking around nickin' pictures of....


"Oh God...." He choked out a sob as that fateful night came back to him all at once. When he watched his light get put out. He was sobbing now as he remembered.


Dawn on the tower. The witches clearing a path for him to get up the tower. That little prat, Doc, was up there trying to cut up his Bit. They fought. Dawn's face as he was pushed off the tower by that old geezer. Falling to the ground. Knowing he screwed up.


"Buffy....oh God...." Even though the breathes were unneeded, he hyperventilated anyway, picturing Her.


Waking up. Seeing the Scoobs walking towards something. Limping up himself and seeing her lying amongst the rubble. Seeing his Golden Beauty crumpled on the ground. Not moving. Collapsing to the ground in tears. Not moving. She's not moving. All of a sudden, someone reaching for him and pulling his body to safety from the rising sun. Then nothing but darkness. Darkness. Despair. Emptiness. Why didn't she move...?


Suddenly he was brought out of his memories by a small voice from the direction of the stairs.


"Spike?"


"Bit?" he gasped out.


The next thing he knew, he was hearing thundering steps coming down the stairs, only then to have his arms full of hysterical teenager.


Against his chest he could hear her muffled voice, "Oh thank God Spike. I didn't think you were ever gonna wake up! I was so worried. I didn't know what I was gonna do." He returned her embrace awkwardly, not quite comfortable with the touchy-feely. She pulled away and looked him in the eyes, and he saw that he couldn't fool himself any longer into believing it was all some nightmare. It had all really happened. And the black hole of emptiness surrounding him grew larger.


He closed his eyes and bowed his head to keep the tears at bay. When he felt confident enough, Spike raised his head back up and whispered, "Dawn. I-I'm so sorry." The tears got the best of him finally, and he choked around the lump in his throat as the tears fell down his cheeks freely.


Dawn teared up at that and slowly shook her head, trying to find the strength to speak herself. "No. It's n-not your fault Spike." She seemed to get her emotions in check and repeated with vehemence, "No." Spike tried to open his mouth to argue, but she stopped him when she began to speak again. "It's not your fault. Giles and Willow and everyone else keep telling me that it's not my fault. So if it's not my fault, it definitely isn't your fault. Okay?" She took a deep breath and steadily met his gaze with as much conviction as she could muster and said again, "Okay!?"


Spike just simply nodded his head, producing the most miniscule grin at her determination. Quickly dropping that subject he said, "How'd I get here Bit? How long was I out? How long've I been here?"


Dawn quickly took a seat next to him on the cot and folded her legs Indian style. Spike leaned back against the wall and noticed his wound on his back for the first time as she replied. "We all brought you here after...." she trailed off, swallowed, and then continued on a different track. “We were all coming here and figured it would be easier to bring you with us, than drop you at the crypt. We were all exhausted, but Xander and Giles got you into Giles’ car and then brought you here and put you in the basement. You've been out since...um, it’s been two days." She finished quietly, but then perked back up and asked him quickly, "Are you hungry? You haven't eaten. When was the last time you ate?"


The whole time Dawn was talking, Spike just sat beside her silently, absorbing everything she was saying, but viewing it all through a stranger's eyes. He answered her question distractedly, "Uh, no. 'M not hungry. 'S been a few days. But, 'm fine Nibblet. Don't you worry 'bout me." He tried to reassure her, but knew he wasn't very convincing.


"Spike, ya gotta eat. You'll get all weak and growly." She replied trying to lighten the mood a bit.


"No Dawn. Really. 'M Ok. I d-"


She cut him off quietly, with an almost imperceptible, "Please?" She cleared her throat and continued looking straight ahead. "Please Spike? You gotta do it. For me. How will you take care of me and protect me if you don't eat? I don't think I could handle it if something happened to you too. Please?"


She sounded so helpless. So desperate. He knew there was no way he'd be able to deny her. Never could. She was a Summers. One of his three girls. Only now, she was the only girl. With that realized he resolutely nodded his head and replied, "Alright Bit. You got me. To the kitchen we go."


And with that, they hopped off the cot and headed up the stairs. As they reached the top Spike could be heard. "So, did the Watcher or the Whelp get me some goodies from the hospital or that crap from the butchers'?"


Then the basement door shut.


_______________________________________________________________



Summerland-


They were sitting on the bank of the lake, soaking up the sun. But since there actually was no sun, they just pictured it in their mind's eye. Buffy broke the silence when she looked at her mother and asked, "Mom, this is nice, but....what's up? When you popped up all glowy you said you had to tell me something. So what's going on?"


Joyce graced her daughter with a cheeky grin and said, "You never were one for patience were you? You must get that from your father. Certainly not from me." She chuckled, "Okay honey, I'm sorry. I just figured after such a big fight you might want to rest and catch your breath while you had the chance." She stood after having said that, offered Buffy her hand so she would stand too, and then they began walking.


As she looked to her daughter, she saw the moment realization hit. A worried expression took over Buffy's face as she stopped walking and put a hand on her mother's arm to stop her also. "Uh....what do you mean, 'while I had the chance?' I-I'm dead. Aren't I? I mean wh- I'm here with you, so....dead. Right?"


Joyce stopped Buffy from continuing, "Ssh sweetie. I'll explain it. I promise." She linked their arms and started walking silently through the meadow.


Buffy's mind was reeling with all the implications of what her mom had said. She didn't understand. She wasn't sure that she wanted to understand. She had made her decision; she was at peace with it. And herself. She knew what she was doing when she'd jumped off that tower. She knew everyone she loved was gonna be okay, she knew she was gonna be okay. She knew she was done. But, apparently life in the Buffyverse was neither peachy, nor keen, even in the afterlife. Ugh! My life sucks! Why can't I just stay dead like a normal person would? was all she could think.


Her train of thought was derailed when she heard her mother start speaking to her again, "Honey, I know this is difficult for you to understand and accept, but you're not a normal girl. You can't help it. I couldn't help it. It took me a long while to finally realize that you couldn't help what you are. That you couldn't just stop being the Slayer. That's what you are, that's who you are. Just makes you even more special than I always believed you to be."


Buffy stopped walking again and turned to face Joyce, intent on arguing. "But, Mom, I...."


She just shushed her with a hand over her mouth and said, "Sweetie, I know you don't want to be special. But you are who you are."


"Mom, the Slayer is what I was. Who I was. I'm here with you. I'm not her anymore. I'm not the Slayer."


Joyce gave Buffy a large smile, full of pride and said, "You're right Buffy. You're not the Slayer anymore."


A triumphant look appeared on Buffy's face. "See. No point in arguin' about it." She began walking again, expecting her mother to follow. "Now, as strange as it seems, I'm starved. Let's get some food. How is it that I'm hungry anyway? I'm dead. Can you even get hungry in Heaven? What's up w-?"


Her babbling cut off abruptly when she heard her mother's calm and steady voice. "You're more important than that now."


Buffy turned towards her mother, her lack of understanding showing clearly on her face. "I'm more what than who when?"


Joyce smiled a smile that only a mother trying to make a child understand can pull off, and started speaking slowly, hoping it would help Buffy understand. "I said, you're right. You're not the Slayer anymore. You're something, someone more important and vital than any Slayer could ever be."


"Mom...." She had to swallow hard to get past the lump in her throat. She cleared it and started again, "Mom, what are you sayin'? What does this mean?" Tears started welling up in her eyes as she kept going, "Does this mean I can't stay here with you? Why can't I stay here? I don't wanna leave." She had tears streaming down her face now. "I'm supposed to be done." She finished in a weak whisper.


"Ssh. Buffy, its okay. I know it’s not fair to you. But, honey, you have to go back. This is just a transitional plane. Sort of like a limbo, you could say. It had to happen this way, sweetie. It's gonna be okay. But you have to go back. They need you." Joyce's voice had taken on a very serious tone.


Buffy figured at first glance, this would've looked like any normal conversation between a mother and daughter. The mother telling the daughter she had to do something she really didn't wanna do. Even after being exposed to it for five years, she could still appreciate the weirdness that was her life. After everything she'd been through, she should be used to it, but it still wigged her out to think that she was having a casual, everyday type of conversation, about returning from the dead, with her already dead mother. But, she was the Chosen One, the Slayer, the one girl in all the world, blah, blah, blah. Whatever. So this should be nothing. Heh! She was so not keeping quiet about this one.


"Who needs me Mom? I'm done. Finished. Finito. Je suis finis. There will be another Slayer called. So that means I can stay here. With you. Everyone is okay. I don't wanna leave!" She finished her tirade with a pout, looking all the more like a petulant child.


Joyce took a seat on the ground and pulled Buffy down alongside herself. "Come on. Pop a squat with me. We gotta talk." Once they were both settled, comfortably, on the grass, she started speaking again, in a comforting tone. All the while, performing the small soothing gesture of stroking her daughter's hair. "I don't know why they're making me do this," she stated in a wistful tone, "This would be so much easier if I weren't the one." She brought her gaze back to Buffy, still petting her hair. "But I guess they figured, with a girl as stubborn as you are, you would only listen to your mother." She offered, giving her trademark, all knowing grin.


Buffy was quickly becoming exasperated with the whole situation. Her irritation showing itself in her tone. "Who mom? Who are you talking about? Who sent you here?"


"The Powers honey." Joyce answered, making it clear she thought Buffy was smart enough to have figured that out. "Remember that strange man, Whistler?" At Buffy's nod, she continued, "His bosses."


"Okay, so what does this have to do with the immortal fashion victim's bosses?"


"Well, because they're not just his bosses. You work for them too. And they apparently aren't done with you yet, to put it in laymen’s terms. And to be all 'High and Mighty,' your work on the earthly plane isn't completed." Joyce finished in a haughty voice and with a grin.


"Wow. Man mom, you're just a messenger and you're already 'crypto-girl. God, is everyone that works for the Powers this vague?" Buffy asked snarkily. "I mean, do they teach classes? Or have books? '10 Easy Steps on: How To Vague It Up?' Or 'Cryptic Speak for Dummies?'"


"Ha ha. Very funny young lady. I'm not trying to be cryptic. There are some things I don't even know. And other things I do know, but can't tell you. You have to figure some of it out on your own. I can't tell you everything. That'd be cheating. And that's why they didn't tell me everything. Because they don't want me to divulge more than I'm supposed to." Joyce's countenance changed then, so as to relay the seriousness of the situation. "Okay. Joke time over. Time to get down to business before you have to leave. Lots to do young lady." She paused for a moment trying to gather her thoughts so that she could tell Buffy what was going on. And at the same time, taking into account the Powers, and what she could say while keeping herself out of trouble.


"Mom?" Buffy questioned her mother quietly, her nerves beginning to coil like a tight spring, as a result of the growing quiet. "Come on. Just spit it out. You're startin' to give me the wiggins. Being all with the pensive silence and the 'oh so disturbed' look on your face. Not helping much with the whole 'relax and calm down' vibiness you're trying to put out there. And, like you said before, I'm not exactly patience personified. So. Spill." She finished hoping to have projected a lighter tone, having learned the art of inappropriate humor from the master himself, The Xan-Man.


"Oh hush up child." Joyce chided in good humor. “Allow an old, not to mention dead, woman gather her thoughts and get them in working order. I'm trying to figure out a way to help you without gettin' myself in trouble with the 'Big Dogs.' Alright?"


"Okay. Sorry. You may continue with your thinking party." Buffy smiled and laid back on the ground. They had settled beneath a very large, very old looking Great Oak tree. She looked up towards the sky, watching the play of light shining through the leaves. She let out a contented sigh and then turned back to face her mother as she heard her clear her throat to begin speaking.


"So- Okay. As I said before, your work isn't completed. You're still needed down there. And this time it’s of greater importance than just being the Slayer."


A worried expression took over Buffy's features, "Whoa. Hit the breaks. I'm not gonna be a Slayer anymore?! Gotta tell ya’, not exactly on board the train car labeled 'loving this idea.' You guys can't send me back weak, not after...."


Joyce placed a hand on her daughter's knee to quiet her babbling. "No honey. You'll still have powers. Just like a Slayer." She paused, looking off into the distance, trying to find the right, not to mention safe, words. "Let me put it this way....You aren't going back as just the Slayer. Guess you could say you'll be an updated version. Evolved? Yes, that’s better. Evolved."


"Alright, so I'll be Buffy 3.0"


"3.0?"


Buffy nodded, "Well, yeah. I mean, I've already died once, so this is my third chance. When the Master killed me, I came back and I was Buffy 2.0 cuz I felt stronger." She shrugged her shoulders, "Makes sense I'm gonna be stronger this time too. So I'll be Buffy 3.0. Get it?"


Joyce couldn't keep the chuckle from escaping, but with a small shake of her head, her serious expression was back in place. "Well, yes dear, that may be true. But this time it’s a bit different. You're not just coming back from the dead after only a minute of CPR. You're actually dead. As in, it’s been a couple of days. As in, your funeral is being planned as we speak kind of dead."


To say Buffy was confused would be a massive understatement. Three words were being repeated again, and again inside her head. Couple of days!? How had it already been a couple of days? I've only been here for a little while? She shook her head, "Wait, wait, and wait. A couple of days? That’s not possible. I've only been here for...." she trailed off looking to her wrist for a watch, even though she knew there wasn't one. Crap! How long have I been here? She put her arm back by her side, "Well....I'm not really sure how long I've been here." Buffy then raised her chin with renewed confidence, "But I do know that I haven't been here for days. That’s for sure."


Joyce let her finish her rant, knowing this was a lot for Buffy to grasp and that it may take a little while for it to sink in and for her to understand. "Actually sweetie, that’s sort of....ambiguous. You have been, but you haven't."


"Huh?" was Buffy's reply.


"Well, you have been here for a couple of days. And yet, you haven't been here that long." When she noticed that Buffy's expression was unchanging she hastened to clarify. "According to everyone there, Dawn, Mr. Giles, your friends, you've been gone for a couple of days. But according to you and me, it’s only been a couple of hours." Joyce glanced back up to Buffy's face to gauge her reaction and saw that she was definitely understanding more, but she was still a bit confused. "Time is different here. What seems like only a couple of hours to us, is almost two full days back home. We're, in effect, in a different dimension. Time passes quicker there, than it does here, so when you go back everyone will have been mourning you for longer than it seems. To you anyway." She decided to pause her narrative there for a moment and allow it all to sink in with Buffy, and also to allow her to ask any questions she may have.


"So, then, when am I going back?" was her first question.


"That depends." was Joyce's simply stated answer.


"Okay, so, when the Powers send me back, to everyone there, I will have been gone for....we'll go with days. I will have been gone for days, but to me, it will only seem like hours?"


"Pretty much."


"When I get there, they're all gonna wig because they think I'm dead. It'll prolly traumatize Dawnie. She won't know what to think. Not to mention Giles. This'll set him on a Research Rampage. His Slayer being brought back from the grave by the Powers That Be." She made an 'hmph-ing' noise and her shoulders slumped, "They should really be called the Powers That Screw," she muttered.


"Honey, I know this is all very hard for you to understand but it had to happen."


"Mom...." Buffy didn't exactly like the way that sounded. "What exactly do you mean it had to happen? You keep saying that." she asked suspiciously.


"I'm not really the best person to explain the supernatural side of it all. I'm just here to help you adjust. They thought if I met you here first, and talked to you for a bit, you'd be less hostile." Joyce replied trying to ease Buffy's apprehension. "We all know how your temper is little missy."


Her mother was smiling at her, but she still didn't like the situation, "So, if you can't explain everything that’s going on who can? And why would I be hostile?"


Another figure appeared behind Buffy and said, "That'd be my department. And because you're always so violent."


Buffy whirled around to face the new arrival and then shut her eyes just as quickly.


"Ah crap."


"Hey kid," the figure smirked at her.



_______________________________________________________________




Summers' Residence-


"Giles?"


Giles looked up from his perusal of nothing, on the dining room table to face Willow. "Hmm?"


She sat down at the table across from him and spoke in a quiet voice, "I just wanted to see how it was coming. Dawnie finally got Spike to eat; he got her to bed, and then disappeared again." She put her elbow up on the table and leaned her chin on the heel of her hand looking at him intently. "I don't think he's dealing."


Giles removed his glasses and began to wipe them, "As much as it pains me to admit, I do believe that he's taking this rather hard. And his way of coping is, in a manner of speaking, to completely ignore it."


Willow nodded in agreement, "Yea, he's thrown himself into taking care of Dawn so much that he's not even taking care of himself. She had to practically beg him to eat."


"Yes, well, I don't believe that we're going to like the results of his implosion, once he allows himself to feel." He placed his glasses back on his face with a long sigh and then went about trying to organize the various papers on the table.


"H-have you set up the s-service yet?" she asked hesitantly.


"Um..." Giles cleared his throat, "I'm, er, working on it. Or, trying to anyway." He sat the papers back down and leaned back in his chair, "It's surprisingly difficult to plan the funeral service for the Slayer when she wasn't any certain religion."


"What about a High Priestess? Or other high ranking Wiccan? It doesn't have to be religious. Just something to, ya know, h-honor her. W-what she did. For all of us." Willow was crying softly by the time she finished.


Giles sat back up and gently placed his hand over the one she had resting on the table. "We'll figure something out. I'll, I'll figure something out. Don't worry."


She sniffled a bit, but nodded her head nonetheless as she began to rise. "I'm gonna double check on Dawnie and then turn in myself." She came around to Giles' side of the table and placed a hand on his shoulder, "You should get some rest too. Cuz, honestly, the grunge thing ya got goin' on? Not really workin' for ya."


He responded to her small smile in kind, "Of course you're right. I'll turn in soon enough."


She gave his shoulder a few pats and then walked away, "'K. G'nite Giles."


"Goodnight Willow."


_______________________________________________________________




Summerland-

Buffy reopened her eyes, "Whistler," she deadpanned.


He chuckled, "Nice to see you too kid."


"What are you doing here?" she complained, almost whining.


"Well, you said it, I'm the 'immortal fashion victim' that works for the Powers That Be, right?" he asked while taking a seat on the ground in front of her. He pulled off his puke green fedora and perched it on his bent knee. He looked up at Buffy expectantly, "We gotta talk kiddo."


Joyce stood up then, "I'll just let you two have a nice chat. I'll be back after a walk." She looked to Buffy and received a small, albeit distracted, nod of acceptance, she could tell Buffy was more attentive to Whistler than her departure.


Buffy rose up on her elbows, affecting her best 'you're an ass' look, directed at Whistler, and said, "What? You mean I get to listen to you while you talk in circles and chase your tail?" She came off of her elbows and plopped onto the ground staring back up through the leaves. "Yay!" She exclaimed with false enthusiasm, "that’s always fun."


"Know what kid? You're a real laugh sometimes."


Buffy got back up onto her elbows and looked back at him with feigned concern, "Oh. I'm sorry. Did I hurt your feelings?" Off her elbows, again, back onto the ground, "Well, excuse me while I try to muster up the feelings needed to care. You always bring bad news. And I don't wanna hear any bad news. So you'll have to forgive me if I'm not exactly in a rush to start this conversation." They sat for a couple of minutes in silence, with Whistler picking at the lint on his blazer that only he could see. Finally she'd had enough and sat up looking at him expectantly. Still, he just sat there looking back at her. "Well? Get to yappin'. What're you waiting for?"


He just shrugged his shoulders and replied nonchalantly, "You said you weren't in any rush. I was just givin' you some time."


"Argh!" Buffy could almost swear there was steam coming out of her ears. "You...! Are just absolutely impossible!"


"So says you," he responded uncaring, sitting up and wiping his hands together, he rested his forearms on his bent knees, "Ready for our chat?"


She looked down her nose towards him, "Do I have a choice?"


"Nope," he said popping the 'p'.


Shrugging her shoulders, she looked back up to the leaves, "Guess you got your answer then."


Whistler nodded his head, "Alright....in a nutshell," he looked straight into her eyes as she looked to him, "you're prophecy girl again."


Buffy let out an unladylike snort, "Yea right." He continued to stare at her steadily, and she sat up straight. "You're kidding." Staring. "Tell me you're kidding." With him still staring, she let her shoulders drop. "Ah crap....Again," she muttered. "Wait! How come I didn't know about this shiny new prophecy? How come Giles didn't know about any new prophecy? He's always making with the research. How did he not know?"


Whistler went down on his left, leaning on his elbow, "Well, that’s kinda hard to explain. Let's just say that even the Powers don't know certain things. Unless its time for them to know."


She looked horrified, "What do you mean? I mean, how is that even possible? They’re the 'Higher Ups' right? They're the 'Big Dawgs' and all. They're supposed to know all about that prophecy hullabaloo. It’s not exactly reassuring to me when you say that they had no clue either."


Shrugging seemed to be a contagion as it was Whistler's turn this time, "What can I say kid? Even the Powers get surprises every century or so....Don't know how to explain it; it’s sorta like the fork in the road analogy. It could go one way or another."


Buffy started to argue, "But the Powers are supposed....Oh never mind!" She gave up the argument when she saw the look on the demon's face. "So what was the deciding factor then? Or what happened that made the prophecy reveal itself?"


"Pretty much when you died. Don't get me wrong, there were other factors also, but they were moot if you didn't jump. So your death was the clincher. If you hadn't died," he shrugged, "then I'm sure something else would've come about at some point to achieve the same results. But since you did die, there's no point in wonderin'."


"So you're saying that until I died, no one even knew this prophecy existed?"


Whistler nodded, "Essentially, yes."


Buffy threw her arms up in the air and looked towards the sky, "Well fabulous! Just great. I'm an enigma. I stumped the Powers!" She stopped for a second and thought, "Hey! That’s actually pretty cool. He he. Well, I never really was one for stayin' inside the lines."


"Yes, I know that fact very well, thank you," he answered dryly.


She rolled her eyes and picked at a blade of grass, "So what does this prophecy say?" She looked back to Whistler, "I gotta kick some demon's ass or something? Stop another apocalypse? Keep anyone from ever buying stonewashed jeans again? What?"


He looked at her warily, "Well, this is where it gets difficult to say."


Buffy looked at him suspiciously, "Whatsat mean?"


Whistler almost looked apologetic when he answered her, "I can't really tell you what’s going on. It just has to happen on its own. I'm basically just here to tell you that you're going back and that there are some big things about to happen. But I can't go into detail."


She rolled her eyes and shifted so that she could lean against the tree. "Great, the Mayor of Vagueville returns," she commented crossing her arms over her chest.


He held up his hands in surrender, "Not my fault, I ain't the boss."


Buffy waved her hands around, "Well, what exactly, if anything, are you able to tell me? Do I get any type of preparation at all?"


Whistler lifted one shoulder, "Sure, I'll tell ya what I can. But lemme tell ya this, it ain't much."


She cocked her head to the side and gave him her 'you're an ass' look again, "Right. So....tell me again how that’s different from every other time you’ve shown up?"


"Geez you're cranky."


When she answered him her voice was full of snark, "Yea, well, death'll do that to a gal. I'm allowed."


Joyce just happened to choose that moment to rejoin the two and witnessed her daughter's less than lovely attitude, "How now young lady. Don't get snippy with the man. He's only doing his job." She walked up to Whistler and gave him a sympathetic pat on the back, "Poor fella."


Buffy's mouth opened and the strangest sound emitted from within. It was somewhere between shock, disgust, anger, hurt, and who knows what else. This is Buffy we're talking about here. "Mo-om!" she exclaimed stomping her foot. "You're supposed to be on my side."


Joyce just looked at Buffy and shook her head reproachfully, "Not when you're being rude I'm not. We may both be dead, but I am still your mother. Behave."


She grumbled under her breath, but when she looked at her mother she realized there was no point in trying. "Alright. Fine." she turned to Whistler, "Speak on Fedora man."


The responses she received were a death glare from her mother and Whistler whipping his hat off of his head, pulling it against his chest and gasping dramatically. "You know, it’s a good thing I don't have to deal with Soul boy’s Seer too. You're bad enough by yourself. I'd have to quit my job."


Buffy looked to him in confusion, "Seer? Huh?"


He waved his hand towards her, "Yea, you know. That hot little firecracker Cordelia." He closed his eyes and made a sort of hissing sound, "Man, that’s one helluva woman."


Recognition appeared on Buffy's face, "Oh, yea. The vision thing. Forgot about that."


Whistler shook his head and gestured in a 'never mind that' way, "Anyway-This prophecy literally popped up when you jumped off the tower. We had no idea it even existed. Apparently, the Seer that wrote it, a thousand years ago, enchanted it somehow, so as to keep it hidden from everyone until that one critical moment activated it." He turned and pointed to her with the hand still holding his hat, "I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count, as to what activated it."


"My death," she answered quietly.


He jabbed the air in front of her, "Bingo! Tell the Lady what she's won Phil!"


"But what does that mean?" she cried. "Does the prophecy begin from the time that I jumped? Did it start years ago? Was it only activated cuz I died? What if I hadn't died? Would it have vanished?"


"Those are all difficult questions to answer."


That was all he said. He just sat there looking around while Buffy burned holes into his head and said nothing else for a full two minutes.


"That’s all you're gonna say? What does all of that mean?" she demanded.


"I told you, its, dif-"


"Yeah yeah. Difficult. Whatever. Break it down for me," She cut him off rudely, earning another glare from Joyce.


Whistler gave the obligatory exasperated sigh, like she was putting him out, and knowing full well, that he'd have to tell regardless. He wasn't exactly thrilled with losing certain bits that would certainly get lost if he went against the Head Honchos. "It means, kiddo, that it wasn't activated in the sense of us knowing about it until you died. But it was already set in motion before you died. So that means that some events in your life were foretold. We just didn't know they were foretold. Till now." He placed his hat back on his head, "You gotta understand. This has totally thrown Them for a loop. We didn't know, and it involved our Slayer. And others. And its not just one isolated event. It’s a whole movie marathon of events. The minute the first event took place, there was no going back. It had already started. And They didn't have a clue. This is big."


Buffy totally disregarded the hugeness of the situation and responded with, "So at some point in my life, I did something, or something did m- er, o-or something happened to me, and it was the actual beginning, beginning of this whole thing?"


He simply nodded.


"So, what was it? Did I wear a certain outfit one day instead of another? Did I go Bronzing one night when I shoulda stayed home? What happened?" she asked trying to lessen the enormity of her current predicament.


"Uh-uh. That’s one of those things you're gonna have to figure out on your own. Or with the help of your buds. I can't help you," he said with finality. "Plus, it would take all the fun out."


Buffy let loose a growl that couldn't possibly have been human, "UGH! You're such an ass!"


"Buffy! Language!" her mother admonished. She looked at her mother and mouthed 'Sorry.'


"Well. Its not that I won't tell you. Its more like can't tell you. Like I said, it’s a sequence of events. Meaning, more than one, and they must take place at certain times. And besides, I don't know what the whole prophecy is. You and your pals get to figure that one out." Whistler tried to placate her, but she could tell he didn't feel guilty in the slightest.


She nodded, "Okay, so me and the guys make with the research, or, they make with the research. And I make with the waiting. That’s the norm. Do we at least get a hint as to where to look for this stuff?"


"The only thing I can tell ya’ is look for stuff with the chosen twice returned and the child twice reverted."


Buffy took on the very comfortable expression of confusion, "Huh? I get the 'Chosen' bit, but what’s a child gotta do with it? And what is twice reverted?"


Whistler shrugged, looking out across the field, "That’s what you gotta figure out. You're not alone in this one....You also need to figure out what else is supposed to happen. What else has been foretold?"


She looked at him in horror, "Please tell me I don't have to die again. I'm not even over this one yet."


He chuckled at her, "No, no. Nothing like that this time. You might even call this one a reward."


Buffy looked at him skeptically, then to her mother, then back to him, "Really? You mean someone is actually paying attention to what I've been doing? And I'm getting something for it?"


Nodding his head, Whistler answered, "Yeah. Think, part reward, part gift with purchase."


"Okay," she nodded also, and then stopped herself, "huh?"


"Well, you know how your mom said that you'd still be a Slayer, but not?" he asked, waiting on her acknowledgement before going on.


"Yeah," she confirmed, "So?"


"You'll still have your Slayer powers, but you will become more than a Slayer. And all that comes with that...." he trailed off. "So it’s essentially a reward and a gift with purchase at the same time. You're being rewarded for being the best Slayer, and you're getting something else too."


"But I didn't buy anything," she argued.


"Sure you did," Whistler countered. "You bought this opportunity with your life. Hence the being here."


"Whatever," she huffed. "So basically in normal people speak, I'm getting a promotion and an additional bonus?"


Buffy looked at him and he gestured with his hands, palm up, "Yeah, pretty much."


She shot him an aggravated look, "Well, why didn't you just say that then? Geeze. Ya’ gotta go around making stuff all kinda difficult."


Whistler looked to Joyce, "Was she always like this? Or is she just this whiney with me?"


Joyce shook her head, "Oh no. She's always been like this. Can be rather grating can't it?" she asked conspiratorially.


"MOM!" Buffy shrieked, running over to drag her mother to her side. "I say again: you're supposed to be on my side," pointing to herself, "not his!" jerking her thumb in Whistler's direction.


Joyce couldn't help but laugh, "Oh honey, I'm sorry, but he's got a point." Thinking to herself for a second she turned back to her daughter, "You must've gotten that particular trait from your father also."


Buffy sprouted an almost believable pout and whined, "But you can't agree with him over me. It’s not fair!"


"Oh yeah? How's that then?" her mother asked intrigued.


While searching for an answer, Buffy looked everywhere but at her mother. "Um. Well. Cuz, he's weird. A-and he dresses funny. -OH! And, he's a demon!" she answered triumphantly. Only seconds later she added, "And because I'm your daughter."


Whistler looked affronted, "Hey! Just because I'm a demon doesn't make me evil, sweet cheeks."


She rolled her eyes at him and gave the standard response. "Whatever."


He perked up after that and adopted a knowing smirk, "We need to discuss that subject before you leave anyway."


"What subject?"


He wiggled his fingers in front of the both of them, moving them back and forth, "That whole: demon = evil; human = good; white and black thing you got goin' on."


Buffy crossed her arms across her chest, "What about it? That’s the way it is."

He slowly shook his head, "Not always."


She tilted her head to the side, "Well, Mr. All-Knowing Guy, enlighten me."


He wasn't threatened, "There is Angel..."

"Angel has a soul," Buffy interrupted, not impressed. "Without it, he's just as evil as any other demon. Well, maybe even more evil, on the evil scale."

Whistler nodded in agreement. "But speaking of vampires without souls, that bring us to..."

"Spike," Buffy said quietly, her eyes downcast as memories of their last weapon recon at her house burst into her mind. The knowledge that she could trust him to protect Dawn no matter what still fresh and raw.

"Bingo."

Something about the demon's smug tone grated on Buffy nerves, and she threw up her usual defenses when it came to the vampire. "It's just the chip, he can't hurt anybody."

At the unconvinced looks she was receiving, Buffy added, "And because he thinks he's in love with me." She looked back at her mother with a few tears brimming. "And that’s the thing mom. If he can change, if he can love, then why couldn't Angel? He hated me without a soul."

Joyce knew there was no easy or right answer to give her daughter concerning the whole Angel/Angelus situation. "I don't know honey. Maybe Spike's just different," she offered with a shrug.

"Yea kid," Whistler agreed. "You can't really compare anyone to Angelus. He's a demon in his own category."

Buffy sniffled a little and wiped at her nose with the back of her hand, "Well, that may be true, but it still makes it harder to believe that a soulless demon can change, or feel, or laugh in a non-sinister way, or do anything really, other than killing."

"Buffy, you can't let that one experience dictate how you feel about Spike," Joyce admonished.

"Mom! That’s a pretty big, important experience in my life. I can't just forget it happened." Buffy was unable to keep the 'are you crazy' tone from her voice.

"No, I'm not saying that. Of course it was big. It was your first love. And it ended badly," she lifted her hand to Buffy's face and moved an errant piece of hair, "But Spike isn't Angel. And nobody else is either. There's only one of him."

Whistler took that moment to try and lessen the amount of tension in the air, "And hey! Look at me. I'm a demon and I'm not evil."

Buffy glared at him but it held no venom, "You're evil simply based on the fact that you expose us to your horrible fashion sense."

"Hey!"

She chuckled and turned back to her mother quickly sobering, and in a much quieter voice she spoke again, "Mom...." she trailed off hesitantly, ducking her head. Joyce put a finger under her chin and lifted her face to that their eyes could meet again. At the curious look her mother gave her Buffy quickly looked away, then back, and Joyce noticed she had a few tears in her eyes again.

"What is it Buffy?"

Buffy looked down at her hands, as if unsure how to continue. "Mom, if all that stuff was that bad just cuz it was Angel, well, what does that say about the great love of my life? Even if he is the evilest of the evil, if he loved me enough, wouldn't he be able to change too? To feel? To laugh in a non-sinister way?"
Her mother gave her a one shouldered shrug, "Maybe he wasn't the great love of your life?"

_______________________________________________________________
CHAPTER TWO by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Meli for beta'ing this chapter.
Thank you for all the lovely reviews! They keep me going!


________________________________________________________



Summerland-


Some time after her mother's shocking comment, Buffy was found sitting silently by the stream watching the fish swim serenely. Whistler walked up with his hands in his pockets and looked at her with his held tilted in curiosity, "Hey kid. Whatcha got goin' on in that melon of yours?"


She looked up at him quickly, surprised that she hadn't realized he was there, but then looked back down just as quickly. "You soo don't wanna know. Just a buncha muffled Buffy brain messiness."


He made a non-committal noise and sat down pulling his knees up and resting his elbows on them, hands clasped. They sat in a surprisingly companionable silence for a few minutes until Buffy broke the quiet.


"So...what’s the dealio huh? When do I get to go back?"


Whistler turned to look at her but she was still watching the fish. He looked up at the sky, hesitant, "Not yet."


This time she did look at him, and when she did so it was unwavering and sharp, "Not yet? What does that mean? Why not yet? When yet?"


"Do you have any idea how crazy you sound? How funny you talk?" He asked hoping to derail the train this conversation was following.


It worked.


"Unh," she made an indignant sound, "I am not crazy. And I don't talk funny. Everyone I know talks like this." She thought for a moment, "Well, 'cept Giles. And Spike. And Angel. And my mom. And you."


Yeah, it worked, for like a second. She shook her head violently, "Ugh, so not the point. You're not distracting me that easily oh boy wonder de immortality. When?"



"Not yet." He raised his hand to hold off any remark she might have, "That's all I can tell you. It's just not time yet."


She slumped her shoulders and pouted, "So, what am I supposed to do until then? Hang out with you?" She shuddered as if disgusted, "Please tell me I don't have to hang out with you..?"


"Well...."


"Argh! Are you sure this isn't hell? God! Don't the Powers, as mighty as they supposedly are, know how frickin' crazy you make me?" She turned and pointed an accusing finger at him, "You bring out the inner seventeen year old girl that I'd all but gotten rid of. I've matured past name calling and noise making. Only you can make me so insane." She thought better of it after a second, "Well, you and Spike anyway. You both make a crazy Buffy."


"Well, I'm sorry that you don't find me endearing." He responded unapologetically. "But that's neither here nor there. You can't leave yet so you might as well deal."


She made a whiney noise and adopted a pout again, "I don't wanna deal." She sat with crossed arms for a time until she made another disgusted noise and whacked Whistler on the arm, "See! God!"


He rubbed his arm, thankful he was an immortal demon that she couldn't really harm and regarded her amused, "How about if we gave you something to do?"


She looked at him out of the corner of her eye, "Like what? There isn't exactly a mall to go to or a theatre to go to. It's just a big, huge empty space of nothing but grass." She motioned towards the area around them rolling her eyes, "Oh yeah, just oodles and oodles of fun to be had here."


Whistler shook his head, "The sarcasm coming from you is so unwarranted. I'm tryin' to do something for you here. It's certainly not for me. I could care less what’s going on in Sunnydale."


Aha! he thought. That got her attention.



She turned on him quickly, curiosity shining brightly in her eyes, "Whaddya mean, what's going on in Sunnydale?"


He seemed put off, "Well, I was gonna let you watch what was going on. I mean, you are going back after all. Would probably help if you knew everything that had happened. Plus, you're bored, I don't wanna hear you whining and I really don't wanna get hit anymore. So I figured, hey, why not?" He turned away from her and made to stand up, "But...since I make you so crazy, I'll just leave you be. I don't want to affect your mental capacity anymore; we need you having coherent thoughts."


Buffy stood up quickly also, "Uh-uh buster. I wanna watch. I won't hit. I won't go crazy. I'll be the perfect picture of picture perfect. Promise."


Whistler started walking towards the Oak tree that Joyce still sat under, "Yeah, sure you will." He turned to her as she fell into step with him, "Somehow I just don't see that lasting long."


_______________________________________________________


Sunnydale-


Spike walked up the stairs leading from the basement hoping that there were still a couple bags of blood in the fridge. He wasn't even sure how many bags he'd devoured when Dawn had brought him in here the other day. He'd just known that the wounds he'd sustained from his fall needed mending, so he ate until he felt the blood begin to work it's magic. The boy had in fact gotten him several bags of O neg from the hospital instead of pig swill from the butchers' he'd assumed he'd be drinking. The only reason he could come up with was that Rupert and Dawn had told him that the human blood would help heal his wounds faster, and seeing as he would be the main muscle in patrols now, he needed his strength.


There were still a few stragglers remaining of the demons that had come through the portal before Buffy... "No. Not goin’ there mate." He muttered to himself as he searched the fridge for any remaining packets.


Luckily his thought process was cut off when he heard the front door open and close. Harris and Anyanka. He'd know the smell wafting from the boy anywhere. But that wasn't what revealed to him the identity of the two humans entering the Summers' home, it was the inerrant nattering spouting from the ex-demon's mouth. He rolled his eyes as he abandoned his search of sustenance.


He wasn't sure he'd ever understand how their relationship worked.


Demon Girl was, well, an ex-demon obviously, but also increasingly money hungry, socially retarded and clearly obsessed with sex. He really liked her.


The boy was a simpering fool most of the time, socially retarded, just not in the same way, not in anyway money hungry or obsessed with sex, even if his girl was. But he was prone to hilarity and loyal to no end. Even if he was only mildly tolerable on certain occasions. Spike ignored the niggling voice in the back of his head telling him that he actually liked said simpering fool and opted to scowl as they entered.


"Look Ahn, Sleeping Ugly awakens." Xander exclaimed as he entered the kitchen followed closely by Anya. "We come bearing your brand of munchies Sir Chippiness." He held up a brown sack, full of what Spike was hoping was more packets of blood.


"Yes, everyone else has 'important' work to do today." Anya offered, making the quote marks in the air as she said important. "But what do we get to do? Bring the former Master, currently neutered, injured vampire his din-din. Humph." She complained sitting heavily on the stool at the kitchen island. "They won't give us anything vital to do. I could be at the shop. Making money. I could be useful that way. But noo, here I sit watching the aforementioned vampire heat up his blood in an 'I heart Huckabee's' mug."


No one responded to her rant, Spike simply arched his scarred eyebrow and Xander responded with a shrug and a look that clearly said, 'there's no point.' The microwave dinged breaking the silence and Spike retrieved his mug. He lifted it to his lips, but before taking a drink his eyes met Xander's over the top of the mug and he mumbled a quick 'thanks' before covering with a huge gulp.


Xander nodded once then filled the vacancy of the second stool gesturing to Anya with his thumb, "Like the lady said, everyone's off doing their designated job, so we got the wonderfully delightful pleasure of making sure our resident vamp gets all his vitamins and minerals like a good boy."


Spike scowled again, but Xander could see no fire behind it, "I'm no bloody kept pet whelp. You'd do well to remember that."


Xander let out a mock fear filled gasp and grabbed Anya by her shoulders, placing her slightly in front of himself, "Help Anya! His scolding, it...scolds." He laughed and let go of her arms while she simply rolled her eyes at his antics and Spike let loose a muted growl.


They all knew that they were simply dealing with things the only way they knew how and no one's feelings were the worse for wear. Spike was projecting his 'Big Bad' image, full of shit and swagger. Xander had reverted to trying to make it into the final rounds of the Class Clown Awards. And Anya was blathering on as tactlessly and bluntly as the norm.


For her, this was totally new. Sure, she had mourned the death of Joyce Summers. She had been sad. She'd missed her quite a lot. But this? This was strange, uncharted territory where she was concerned. Of course she hadn't been as close to Buffy as the others. Nowhere near it in fact. But she had considered her a friend. And not simply by proxy. She'd cared about the Slayer in her own obscure and naive way.


The most obvious and biggest reason being that Buffy had saved the world numerous times. And that was something that Anya benefited from entirely, if not solely. Buffy saving the world all the times that she had, enabled Anya to make the money she loved and treasured so much. It also allowed her to buy many things, thereby allowing her to continue the cycle of economics and capitalism. She also cared deeply for the people around her and even the people not around her. She cared enough to fight hard enough to save the world so many times.


See above, Re: money made, money spent.


Buffy was also extremely important and special to her Xander. That had threatened Anya before, the same way Xander's relationship with Willow had. But she knew now that she was the only one for Alexander Lavelle Harris, so she allowed their closeness.


Buffy also wasn't exactly unfun to be around. Life was always entertaining and lively when in the company of the Slayer and her Scoobies. Anya's life was in no way lacking in excitement that was for sure. There were several other reasons for her sadness and her current state of brooding, but they were all of an indeterminate origin and Anya wasn't exactly in the mood for a round of introspection at the moment.

She was brought from her inner musings when she heard Spike turn on the faucet to rinse out his mug. She jerked to attention completely when he turned around to face Xander and herself and spoke.

"So what are these 'important' jobs then?" Spike asked crossing his arms and leaning against the kitchen sink. He knew very well what everyone was doing, he just didn't want to think about it because that would be admitting it and he wasn't sure he was really ready to fully hop in the streetcar named Admission. But simply asking the question he already knew the answer to swiftly replaced the previously light air of humor with the stagnant odor of mourning.


Xander cleared his throat before he began speaking quietly, "Giles, Tara and Dawn went to the funeral home to make all the arrangements." He fidgeted in his sit a bit, "Giles figured that Dawn would want to be involved since it's her sister and all and he figured it would go smoother if Tara was with her."


Spike nodded sagely, "Yeah, Glenda’s good at keeping everything all kosher and calm." He uncrossed his arms and set them to rest on the counter at his sides. "Was prob'ly a good idea that he had her tag along, what with the Bit bein' all emotional and what not."


The young brunet said a quiet 'yeah' and then began scanning over everything in the room to avoid meeting the blond's eyes. He knew what the next question was gonna be and wasn't exactly looking forward to answering it. It didn't really have much of anything to do with sparing Spike's feelings, just the simple fact that the whole subject matter left a bad taste in his mouth.


"So then...where's Red?"


It was inevitable, he knew, but he wanted to ignore it nonetheless. Xander found a spot on the island counter that absolutely fascinated him and was silent for a bit before answering. When he did, he barely opened his mouth and if it hadn't been for Spike's supernatural hearing, he would've missed it. "She's in L.A."


Spike rolled his eyes, slumping his shoulders and causing his hands to drop from the counter, to hang limply at his sides. "Great! Just what we need; 'His Mopiness' payin' us a visit in good ole Sunnyhell. Couldn't we'ave just waited and told him after?"


Xander lifted his right hand, palm up, and gestured to the other male, "That's what I said. I'm not exactly looking forward to the imminent arrival of Herr Doom and Gloom either pal."


Spike lifted a brow and looked at Xander, "Not a huge fan of the Great Git either, huh?"


"That, El Nosferatu, would be what one might call a radical understatement. Words can never even begin to arrive in the vicinity of expressing when it comes to how much I loathe the Glowery One." Spike chuckled in response but was quickly cut off by Anya.


"Ok! Ok, ok! Stop it! That's it, I can't take it anymore! Who, for Amfar's sake, are you talking about!?" She, all but shouting, jumped to her feet and putting her hands on the counter looking at the two men.


The other occupants of the room sat in stunned silence observing the fiery woman before Xander snapped back with a shake of his head, "Oh, um, Angel. We're talking about Angel of course."


Spike did a half shrug and tilt of the head, "Yeah, woulda figured it obvious pet."


Anya smacked her hand on the counter, "Well, it wasn't. It wasn't obvious at all." She huffed crossing her arms over her chest and scowling, "How am I supposed to know that you're talking about Angel and that it's him you're making fun of? What if I want to join in, hmm? But I can't, because I don't know who you're talking about. With all the misleading synonyms and the nicknames." Anya exclaimed with a pout reclaiming her seat. "It's not fair! I should be included in poking fun. Even if I don't know the guy."


Xander put his arm around her shoulders and gave it a squeeze, "Well, Ahn, anytime either of us say something you don't understand or anytime you don't know who we're talking about, just ask. We won't begrudge anyone a little mockery. Especially at The Ass' expense."


Spike agreed, "Yea, that works. Or, anytime you hear either of us using a degrading or insulting name, you can full on wager it’s the Poof we're talkin' 'bout."


Anya smiled and nodded her head, "Ok." Then she sat up on her stool a little straighter with her hands primly placed in her lap, looking the entire world like a student eager to learn. "Alright. So 'Poof' is one of them. What are the others? I wanna know so I can call him embarrassing names and laugh at his comical yet angry expression," she asked looking at Xander and Spike expectantly.


They looked to each other and shared a big smile, then turned back to Anya. "Peaches," Spike offered.


"Soul-Boy," Xander added.


"Hair-Boy."


"Mr. Broody."


"Dark Avenger."


"Deadboy."


Anya turned to her 'secret' fiancé, "Xander, a lot of yours have 'boy' in them. That’s extremely incorrect, you know. He's centuries older than you." She told him matter of fact.


He just shrugged his shoulders and looked non-repentant, "What can I say? I have to attack his masculinity somehow. He's all with the big and bulky." He adapted a large grin and placed his hands on his hips highly reminiscent of Superman, one of many Comic book heroes he secretly admired. With a click of his tongue and a sharp intake of breath through clenched teeth he added, "Makes me feel all manly in the presence of His Hulkiness."


Spike held up a finger and looked at Xander while pointing, "Sir Broods-a-Lot."


Xander nodded, "Sometimes Evil Undead."


"Big, Tall and Forehead."


Xander bounced up and down on his stood excitedly, "Oh, oh, oh, Captain Forehead..."


_______________________________________________________



Summerland-


When Buffy and Whistler made it back to the tree and joined Joyce on the ground he explained to the both of them what was going to be happening. All of a sudden a widescreen TV of substantial size appeared directly in front of them.


"God! You're such a guy." The young woman exclaimed eyeing the electronic monstrosity.


"What?" he asked innocently. "I have to enjoy technological advances somehow don't I?" He looked to Buffy and suddenly a remote with a singular button appeared in her hand. "Now, all you have to do is think hard about what you wanna see, and then hit the button and, presto! It's your own version of Big Brother."


She looked to her mother then back to Whistler before she closed her eyes, raised the hand holding the remote and punched the button.


Buffy had decided to start her escapades into voyeurism at the Magic Box but it had been completely deserted and when she moved onto Giles' apartment she had the same luck. Switching over to her house she was rewarded with the sight of Spike, Xander and Anya in her kitchen. The couple sitting at the island with the vamp leaning against the kitchen sink across from them.


She wouldn't dare admit it, but the conversation between them had amused her. The three of them together was nothing if not entertaining, even with the recent happenings and the air of gloom that surrounded the house.


Along with her mother and Whistler, she listened in not commenting. That is, until the other two began to snicker in response to Xander's and Spike's tutelage for Anya into the many nicknames for Angel. Buffy turned to them with a scolding look, as if she were the parent or thousand year old demon instead of them, "It's not that funny guys." But they continued laughing as if she'd never spoken. "Stop laughing. It's rude."


Whistler stopped laughing long enough to give her an incredulous look, "Please. It's not like they can even hear us you know."


Joyce sobered up, "No, she's right." She said to Whistler, and then turned to Buffy, "You're right honey. I'm sorry. They may not be able to hear us, but it's not right to make fun of people like that." Her last statement lost all credibility as she burst into another fit of giggles at hearing Xander call Angel 'Herr Doom and Gloom.'


"Mother!" she admonished, but her words held no fire as she had a small smile of her own. She couldn't help it; it was nice to hear her mother's laughter again. She quickly forced it back though and turned to Whistler who was still watching the scene and chuckling to himself. "And you!" she shoved at his arm, "you're not helping matters."


He looked at her and rubbed his arm in mock pain, "Hey! I'm sorry. Angel's my boy and all, but it's funny. Can I help it if what they're calling him fits?" He turned back to the magically powered TV and motioned with his free hand, "And it's funny! Come on!"


Buffy continued to glare contemptuously at him and then turned to Joyce with the same look, to which she replied to by simply shrugging her shoulders. Resuming her own observation of her friends and once mortal enemy, Buffy couldn't help the small chuckle that escaped as Xander called the man she once thought of as the love of her life 'Captain Forehead.' Whistler and her mother both gave her looks clearly saying, 'and what were you just saying to us?' but that only made her laugh full on.


"See! I told you! No sense denying it now." Whistler exclaimed.


Buffy shook her head trying to dispel any lingering humor and stood up. "I'm gonna go for a walk. You two just laugh it up." She brushed her hands on the seat of her pants, "Call me if anything, oh, I dunno, important is said."


_______________________________________________________




Sunnydale-


Gods above and below he didn't wanna do this.


Spike pulled his new pair of black socks out of the bag in his lap and yanked the tags off. He had painstakingly taken time to pick out an acceptable outfit for something he didn't even want to go to. He'd known this was gonna be hard, but he'd never guessed it would be this hard. It couldn't possibly be normal for someone like himself to find something like this to be so difficult. So heartbreaking.


He was trying really hard to do everything he could for the Bit and the other Scoobies. He wanted to be sure that everyone Buffy had cared about and loved was taken care of and safe. Everyone save his Grand-Sire anyway. He could give a toot's horn what that ponce was going through. Spike had moved past feeling completely guilty for the Slayer's death. He now shared that responsibility with Angel. He figured if the git hadn't left in the first place, or he'd just popped over long enough to help stop Glory, then Buffy might still be here. Spike wouldn't have cared, he would've put up with the other vampire if it meant that his Slayer was going to be ok. But no such luck. The son of a bitch hadn't even known about any of what was going on. He obviously didn't care enough about Buffy to keep tabs on what was happening and when she needed help. Speakin' of needin' help, why the soddin' hell didn't his vision-girl get a peek-a-boo from the Powers?. Stupid, bloody wanker fuck mooks. Didn't the Slayer rate high enough with them to warrant some much needed assistance? Pillocks.


Today was the day. The Day. He was in no way looking forward to what he'd be witness to this evening. Ok, so it wasn't The Day, it was The Night, tomato/tomahto. Spike was having a hard enough time keeping it together himself that he was doing Nibblet absolutely no good. He wasn't entirely convinced that he was strong enough to help her through this. Aside from the horror of the day itself, he was gonna be face to face with above mentioned Grand-Sire, and those visits never made for a boat load of fun. More like freightliner loads of hell served in heaping bounds.


He was just slipping his black button shirt onto his shoulders when the tearful teen made her way down the stairs to the basement. He'd been planning on just wearing his normal attire, seeing as it contained of everything black as long as he could forego the red button up. But his Bit had looked at him with those huge blue eyes opened wide and asked him in a voice he couldn't resist, to please wear a suit to her sister's funeral. So that's what he was wearing. Charcoal grey dress pants and black shirt anyway. No way was he wearing a tie or blazer. Even for a Summers woman. He did, though, opt to leave his Doc Martens at the house and was wearing a pair of black dress shoes.


"Hey." She said quietly once she'd fully descended the stairs.


"'Ello Bit.


"You 'bout ready? The sun's down so we can leave now. Giles, Xander, Anya and Willow already left. They wanted to be sure to get there first. Tara's upstairs though, waiting on us." She asked him wringing her hands.


"Yeah. 'M all set." He said as he finished buttoning. He patted his pockets in search of his cigarettes and when he didn't feel them he turned quickly to the cot he used as his bed and began to search amongst the various bags and packages. When he found them he held them up triumphantly and turned to Dawn. "Let's hit it Bit."


He put his arm around her shoulders and they made their way up the stairs to meet Tara and head on to the funeral site.


Gods he didn't wanna do this.


_______________________________________________________



Summerland-


Buffy heard her mother calling her name from her spot next to the stream she'd become so fascinated with. She stood up and made her way back to the Oak tree. "What's up?"


Whistler totally ignored her and kept watching the TV and Joyce looked hesitant to answer, even though she'd been the one to call her daughter over. "Sweetie, have a seat." She grabbed a hold of Buffy's hand and softly pulled her down onto the grass alongside herself. "They're getting ready to start your funeral Buffy." She answered softly.


Buffy's eyes widened almost comically and she turned sharply to her mother, "What?! How is that possible? I was only gone for like, what? An hour?"


Joyce ran what she hoped was soothing hang over the young woman's arm, "You have to remember Buffy that time is different here. An hour here is a day there."


Buffy's face fell, "Why didn't you tell me that? Why didn't you come get me? I would've forgotten all about the great exit I was trying to make and come back if I'd known I was missing that much."


The eldest Summers softly shook her head, "It doesn't matter. Honestly. Nothing happened. You didn't miss a thing."


Buffy eyed her mother suspiciously, "Somehow I find that hard to believe. Even from you mom."


Joyce looked slightly aghast, "Well, I don't see why not. I'm your mother."


She was unable to comment further when their attention was called to the screen as the service began.



_______________________________________________________



Sunnydale-


At the edge of where the cemetery met the woods, in a small clearing, the members of the Scoobies and the L.A. gang were all gathered around a freshly dug grave. Sitting directly in front of them suspended over the hole sat the hunk of wood containing one of their dearest. Dawn and Spike were huddled together for support with Giles, Willow, Tara, Xander and Anya flanking them. Angel, Cordelia, Wesley, Gunn and newcomer Fred were standing in a line not dissimilar to the one formed by the other group on the other side of the grave. Giles had finally decided on acquiring the High Priestess of a nearby coven to conduct the memorial service for them. Because of Buffy's being the Slayer and the other several and majority ruling supernatural elements surrounding them, he'd figured that was the best idea.

As RavenWolf finished her blessing the attendees began to lower the casket into the ground. Something apparently clicked with the peroxide vampire, because as the casket began to disappear his resolve broke. He fell to the ground, large sobs racking his body, and repeating a constant mantra just under his breath, "Oh Gods...I'm sorry. Buffy, luv, so, so sorry. I love you. Please. Please I'm sorry. So sorry." Dawn fell to the ground on one side of the vampire and Tara rushed to the other. They both began to try and calm him down whispering what they hoped would be comforting and encouraging words, in spite of their own grief. As the remaining members of the Sunnydale group witnessed Spike's reaction, they were unable to keep the tears at bay and the comfort of the two women given to the vampire turned into a massive group hug.


Angel and his crew all looked on the scene with curious expressions and Angel was left pondering his Grand-Childe's strange reaction to the death of a Slayer. And there was no way he could've possibly heard what he thought he heard was there? Pfft, nah. Spike didn't say anything close to or resembling 'I love you' in connection with Buffy. Nope.


The Scoobies all stayed huddled around Spike making one big mass of hugs as he continued to sob and wail. They were all still crying silently, overcome with the vampire's obvious grief in combination with their own grief. There was no way that anyone could possibly ignore the blatant misery coming off of the blond in waves, but after a while his sobs came to an end and the group all stood up backing away expecting to see Spike jump up and try to cover with many machismos, only to find him staring off into space like the dead person he should've been. Where his eyes had once been vibrant, full of emotion and alive, they were now blank orbs, completely glazed over.


Dawn looked down at him panic stricken, "Spike? Spike!" She turned to Giles with wide eyes, tears brimming over, "What's wrong with him? He won't look at me or answer me." She squatted down next to the vampire again, "Spike!!"


Giles moved Dawn aside and got down on his haunches in front of Spike, "Spike? Can you hear me?" When he received no response he took the vampire by the shoulders and shook lightly, "Spike! Come on you ole bugger. Answer me!" Yet he still received no response. "Oh dear," he looked to Willow for confirmation that his suspicions were true. She simply nodded her head in the affirmative.


But before either could calm Dawn's fears and explain what was happening, Angel erupted and launched himself at Spike's prone figure, knocking them both ass over kettle to the ground. He then straddled the younger vampire and grabbed the front of his shirt shaking him violently. "Spike! What the hell do you think you're doing? Answer me you ass!" He knocked Spike's jaw with a right hook, and still he made no movement. He could hear everyone's shocked gasps and he heard Dawn start crying harder, but he didn't care. He was pissed. He was pissed that Buffy was gone. Pissed he hadn't been here to help. But mostly he was pissed at Spike for putting on, what he considered, some overdramatic ploy. "Quit acting like you care you little shit! Look at me you son of a bitch!" He went to hit Spike again but before he could let his fist fly several hands were grabbing him and pulling him off the other man's body. The next thing he heard was Cordelia's voice.


"Angel. ANGEL! Stop it!" He was steadfastly trying to loose himself from their hold, "Calm down you big oaf. God!"


A shadow fell over his form and as he looked up he realized Xander was standing right in front of him, eyes blazing, "What is Spike doing?" Xander asked incredulously with a deceptively calm voice. "He's grieving you great big nit. The question you should be asking is..." He paused for effect and then in a much louder, angry voice he continued, "What the HELL are YOU doing?"


Angel looked honestly confused, "What do you mean what am I doing?" he asked dumbfounded. "I'm trying to get that," he spat that last word out with so much venom it could've killed a small animal, "to quit acting like he cares. This isn't the time for him to be making a scene."


At his last comment, Giles shoved Xander out of the way and Angel found himself staring into the eyes belonging to Ripper. "You've no right! No right to come here and judge anyone or make ignorant and unfounded comments concerning what one is feeling and what one isn't feeling. I would suggest you cool off before you make us all very angry and something irrevocable is done to you." The underlying threat was very clear to Angel. "Things have changed quite a bit in Sunnydale since your last visit. Spike has every right, every right, to be here. And every right to grieve in any way he deems necessary. I believe that if you were to sit back and look at the situation, you would realize that you, in fact, are the one causing the unnecessary and disrespectful scene."


But Angel couldn't be deterred, "What gives him the right Giles? What the hell has he done to you people to fool you into believing whatever scam he's got going on?"


Giles whipped his glasses off his face and pointed to Spike still lying on the ground with the hand holding them, "He's got the right because he was here. He's been here these last several months when Buffy was in the fight of her life. He's been tortured by a god, and yet he still fought. So, that's where this stems from. He's been here while you were..." he trailed off and looked at the brunette vamp menacingly, "Oh, that’s right, you weren't here."


"I didn't know!"


"Did you want to know?" Giles spared him one last glance and then turned away.


Angel took a moment to do just what Giles had suggested. He looked over at the spot he'd been pulled away from and saw Spike lying in the same position he'd been left in. Dawn was back by his side along with Willow's girlfriend. Which, that was still weird, but, what was her name again? Sarah? No, Tara, That's it. Tara and Xander's girl, Anya. They were still trying to get a reaction from Spike but to no avail. He began to feel a little bad realizing that maybe Spike wasn't putting on a show after all. He turned around and looked at his group. They were all looking embarrassed to be associated with him. All aside from Fred, who didn't have a clue. But they were also looking at him as if he'd lost his mind. When he turned away from his friends, he noticed that Giles and Willow had now taken Tara's and Anya's places by the vamp's side. They were talking worriedly with one another and even knowing they were still angry with him, he stealthily began to creep up so he could hear what was being said.


He heard Giles speaking, "...think you might be able to do it again Willow?"


Willow, looking towards Spike, nodded her head slowly, "Yeah, I think I could. I'm not sure if it's different with vampires than it is with humans. But I-I'm pretty sure I can. I can at least try, right?"


"Yes, yes. I don't believe it should be different with vampires. It seems he is in much the same situation as Buffy was. You should be able to succeed with no problems. He may, for all intense purposes, be dead, but his brain is still working, so it should work perfectly."


Their conversation had piqued Dawn's attention and she turned to them with a worried look on her face, "Do what again? What's wrong with him? What situation was Buffy in?" She was frantic by now, "What aren't you telling me? What's going on? What are you gonna do to him?"


Tara moved back to the teen's side and pulled her into a loving embrace trying to assuage her fears, "Ssh, sweetie. It's ok. You know Willow won't hurt Spike. She's going to try and help him. I promise."


Dawn looked to Willow with wide eyes, vulnerable expression, "Really?"


Willow moved over to join Dawn and Tara, putting an arm around Dawn and squeezing reassuringly, "Of course Dawnie. I'm just gonna help him. Promise."


Giles felt it necessary to reassure the young girl also, "I can assure you Dawn that we won't let anything happen to him. You have my word."


Dawn gave a hesitant nod of her head and then stopped suddenly, "Wait. What does whatever's wrong with Spike have to do with a 'situation' Buffy was in?" she asked making the air quotes looking back and forth between Willow and Giles waiting.


"Erm..." Giles looked off into the sky and began cleaning his glasses so Dawn fixed her gaze on Willow.


"Um, well..." the red headed witch trailed off also, looking at the ground intently.


Xander spoke up then, "You guys never told her what happened?" looking at the two questioningly.


Dawn was quickly becoming frustrated, "What happened when?"


Anya spoke up matter of fact, as always, looking at Dawn, "When you were kidnapped by Glory and Buffy went all space cadet on us." She said it as if she'd just stated the obvious.


"Huh?" Dawn asked confused.


Giles answered Xander's earlier question without acknowledging the exchange between Dawn and Anya, "Well Xander, in case you've forgotten, I've had my hands a bit tied up with everything happening. I've had to plan the funeral of my Slayer, whom I also thought of as my daughter, so I haven't exactly been myself of late. Nor have I had the chance to sit down with Dawn and have a chat." He finished off defensively.


Xander had the decency to be ashamed, "You're right G-man. I'm sorry. Just a tad on edge today."


Giles nodded his head and gave Xander a sympathetic look, "Quite alright Xander. Quite alright." He then looked up at the young man sharply and said, "And don't call me that."


Xander simply grinned at him.


Dawn decided to make her presence known to Giles again, "Ok. Back to my question. What were you guys talking about? What did Anya mean when she said Buffy went 'space cadet on you'?"


The Sunnydale based gang was reminded that the L.A. based gang was still there when Angel spoke up for the first time in a while, "Yeah, I'm pretty curious myself. What's going on here?"


"When Dawn was taken by Glory, Buffy went catatonic. She just shut down completely." Willow answered. When she heard Dawn's shocked gasp she looked at the young girl and gave her a small smile. "I had to do a spell that put me in her mind. So I could reach her. And she was just...stuck...in this loop. Different scenes that happened. Some that didn't."


Angel gave her a dubious look, "And you think what? Spike is doing the same thing? Kind of a delayed reaction isn't it?"


Willow became defensive and stood up straighter, "What other explanation is there?" Tara laid a comforting hand on her shoulder which seemed to ground her again and she calmed back down. "Makes sense. Just look at him."


"How?" Angel asked.


Giles answered this time, "It finally hit him. He's been busy these last few days caring for Dawn and patrolling. The casket being lowered simply brought it all home and made him realize that it was actually happening. He admitted it to himself. That it's real." He looked over to where Spike was still staring at nothing and turned back to the group. "He hasn't really given himself a chance to come to grips with the fact that Buffy's..." Giles trailed off unable to say the actual words despite the fact that they were, at that moment, standing at the girl's graveside.


Angel shook his head, "That still doesn't explain to me why this happened to Spike of all people. Or vamp, whatever. How do you know he's for real?"


His last question made Dawn become enraged, "Shut up you...you...big poof!" Xander and Anya snickered at that. "You don't have any clue what's going on here! Spike loves... loved Buffy. And he loves me. He is not putting on a show."


"Loves?!" Angel exclaimed incredulously. "Dawn, what are..." but he was cut off when Dawn started speaking again.



"Yes! Loves. You don't know us anymore. You don't know how it is. You don't know anything."


Angel's voice became condescending as he spoke his next words to the girl, "Dawn, I think I know Spike pretty well. Better than any of you. I'd bet."


"No Angel, Dawn is right." Giles spoke up. When Angel looked at him unbelievingly he clarified, "You may have known Spike, but he's different now. As much as I'm loathe to admit it, much less believe it, I can't overlook the fact that Spike has indeed changed."


Angel looked at Giles astonished, and then looked at the members, and they each in turn nodded their heads, even if hesitantly as in the case with Xander. "You guys can't honestly believe this. He's got a chip. A chip in his head doesn't mean he's changed. It's not a soul."


Giles nodded his head, "You're right. It didn't change him. It was only the catalyst. It gave him the opportunity to change. His helping us, albeit reluctantly at first, helped him to change. His developing relationship with Dawn and Joyce even, has helped. And then his falling in love with Buffy was the final step. No one wanted to believe it at first. Myself least of all, but he truly loves Buffy. He's proved himself to us in the recent weeks."


Angel tried again to reason with Giles, "But it still isn't a soul. He's still evil in spite of everything."


Giles nodded his head again, "Once again, you're correct. It's not a soul. But that just makes it all the more remarkable. He's doing it of his own volition. Not because something is making him." Giles gave a pointed look to Angel, which brooked no misunderstanding and the large vampire looked away. "He truly wanted this. If he didn't he could've found other means by which to achieve 'evilness'. If you want to put it that way."


Angel shook his head and muttered almost unintelligibly, "He's the one who told me that demons didn't changed and yet, you say he has."


Giles gave a short chuckle at that, "Yes, well, he has always been a rather unconventional vampire, as you should know." Angel nodded in the affirmative.


Xander spoke up, trying as per usual, to spread some levity into the situation, "Plus, he's always been really good at the whole foot and mouth thing."


No one could hold back a chuckle at that.


Giles looked over at the still figure of the blonde vampire where Dawn and Tara were once again huddled and spoke, "Right then, I do believe it's time that we get back to the house and bring Spike back to reality, yes?"


Everyone nodded or muttered something in agreement aside from Angel who kept his mouth shut, and began making their way to the Summers' home.


_______________________________________________________



Summerland-


Buffy, Joyce and Whistler were all huddled around the TV watching as scenes unfolded in Sunnydale.


"Wow." Buffy sat back on her hands with a shocked look on her face.


"Yup." Whistler agreed.


*sniffle*


They both looked over to Joyce who waved her hand in a dismissing manner, "Sorry, sorry." She fumbled with a box of tissues that had mysteriously appeared. "First my daughter's funeral...*sniffle*...then poor Spike...*sniffle*...I can't help it. I always did like him." She turned to Buffy with a sharp accusing look, "And that Angel of yours is such a wanker." Whistler grinned at Joyce's use of a 'Spikeism'.


"Mom, he's not my Angel."


"Well, he was." Joyce retorted.


"And don't call him that Angel." Buffy weakly tried to defend her ex, "it’s just hard for him to believe that Spike has really changed."


"Why," her mother asked, honestly wanting to know. "It's pretty obvious to anyone who looks, that he has."


Whistler cut in to answer her question. When he spoke both women turned to him. He was still watching what Buffy had affectionately dubbed 'The Real World Sunnydale' or 'SunnyD TV. "It's hard for him to believe because if he didn't have a soul, he knows there's no way he'd ever be what Spike is. Or become what Spike has become."


Joyce gave an unladylike snort, "Just proves my point. Wanker."


Whistler continued, concealing a small grin. "Makes him feel like less of a man or vamp or whatever, because Spike can do something he can't. Unless he cursed."


Buffy sat silent the whole time they were speaking, still trying to process what she had witnessed. She couldn't believe Spike had taken her death so badly. But what she really couldn't believe were her friends' obvious protective vibes towards him. I guess he really does love me. She thought to herself. And maybe he really has changed. Aloud she spoke, "This is all really hard to take in."


Whistler looked at her sympathetically, "I know. But you can't ignore the truth now. You've seen it for yourself."


"I know." She looked at him, "It's just..." she gestured with her hands and made a 'grr' face, "it's...Spike." She finished as if that explained everything.


Whistler laughed at her, "Yes, it is. But things aren't always as they seem."


"Huh?" Buffy asked.


"You can't always judge a book by its cover." Whistler paused looking thoughtful. "First impressions may last forever, but they're not always true."


"Oh stop being all cliché-y. You're giving me a headache."


"You can't get headaches here. You're dead." Whistler retorted.


"Argh! Shut up!"


Whistler and Joyce laughed as she covered her ears like a child.


_______________________________________________________



Sunnydale-


Back at the Summers' abode, the Scoobies and the Fang Gang all gathered in the living room, sans Spike, Tara and Dawn, who were upstairs in Joyce's room, and Willow and Anya who had gone to the Magic Box to get the incense Willow needed to perform the spell since she'd used to last of her stash with Buffy. Giles was standing in front of the fire place staring at nothing, Angel and Xander were both sitting in the wing back chairs glaring at each other, and Cordelia, Gunn, Wesley and Fred were all gathered on the couch. No one was speaking. The moment Willow and Anya came through the door; they were all startled to attention, everyone jumping out of their seats except for Cordelia who looked nonplussed and Fred who shrunk behind the other young woman.


"Geez. Jumpy much?" Willow remarked.


"You all should cut back on the caffeine. It's bad for humans if you drink too much." Anya offered. Then squinting her eyes at Angel, "although, I guess it doesn't matter with your kind huh?"


Ignoring both girls' comments Giles asked them if they'd gotten everything they needed.


"Yeah, I'm all set. Since we don't have to be all with the rushing for world savage I can do this the right way." was Willow's answer. "So where is our resident vamp?"


"Xander, Angel and Gunn carried him up to Joyce's room. Dawn and Tara have been sitting with him just in case he miraculously 'woke-up'." Giles replied. "Dawn won't leave his side." he offered, then added more to himself than anyone else, "She's as stubborn as her mother and sister that one." With a shake of his head he turned back to Willow, "And of course Tara won't leave Dawn's side, so, they're holding vigil presently."


"Alrighty. I'll go set up and get started." Willow then made her way up the stairs and Anya took a seat on the arm of Xander's chair.


Angel couldn't help but notice the nonchalance with which Willow took in the fact that Spike was in Joyce Summers' bedroom and that her girlfriend was in there with him. And he was slightly offended remembering how he wasn't accepted as easily into the Scoobies. When Willow was up the stairs and out of sight Angel turned to Giles, "Are you really sure this is gonna work? Do you really believe that Spike is so upset and bereft that he'd go catatonic?"


Giles breathed an exasperated sigh, "Yes Angel. As I said before, many, many times, I really do believe that's what's happened to him and that this will help. If you're just going to sit there second guessing and doubting everything we do and say then you'd best be on your way back to your city."


Cordelia stood up at the tone and sharpness of Giles' voice, "Hey Buddy! What's with all the Angel hatin' going on in this town? You all have done nothin' but be rude and harp on him since we got here. And if I noticed? Well, then it's bad." She looked pointedly at Giles and Xander, "He's grievin' just like the rest of us. Prob'ly more. But you're too busy with your new best vamp to realize."


Wes put a restraining hand on her arm to try and stay her outburst, "Cordy, sit down. Everyone's on edge right now."


She snatched her arm away haughtily, "No Wes, I'm always getting lectures on tact and treating people one way or another. It's time they got one too."


Xander spoke up, his voice laden with sarcasm, "Yeah Wes. Let the Queen C finish her tirade. She might surprise us and say something intelligent for once."


Cordelia whipped her head towards Xander and pointed an accusing finger at him with barely contained rage in her eyes, "You, Xander Harris, are soo not one to comment on what an intelligent conversation consists of."


"Hey!" Anya cut in with annoyance. "Xander is very smart. He just chooses to act dumb so no one takes advantage."


"Thanks Ahn." Xander deadpanned. "Thanks for the compliment before the insult."


Anya beamed at him and nodded her head once, "You're welcome." Then she quickly turned back to
Cordelia, "And, Xander isn't yours anymore, he's mine. So you don't get to be mean to him."


Cordelia scoffed and rolled her eyes, "Puh-lease! I dated the guy, alright? Not only do I get to be mean to him, but, it's like every woman's God given gift to torment the ex."


Anya seemed to ponder this for a moment, "You know, you're absolutely right. I've been human for too long." She sat back against the chair, "Feel free to seek minimal vengeance allowed to jilted exes when readily available."


"Hey!" Xander protested.


"Hush up and deal Harris. You'll not win this argument with this ex-vengeance demon."


Xander glared hotly but said nothing.


Giles finally had a chance to speak and when he did it was directed towards Cordelia and Angel completely disregarding the other conversation. "You'll have to excuse us all for being offended that our every word and action is being questioned. Believe me when I say that we were all, by far, nowhere near Spike's biggest fans, but in lieu of everything that has happened in the recent weeks and months, our opinions have changed drastically. He has proven himself to use in more than one way. So I'll thank you kindly if we can just drop the discussion of Spike's place in our lives."


Angel voiced the one comment he felt held more ground, the one he kept repeating, the one he thought would certainly sway the argument in his favor, "Giles, he doesn't have a soul."


Giles nodded slowly and looked directly at Angel, "You're right. He doesn't. And yet he still fights."


Angel was wrong. Apparently having a soul wasn't the 'in thing' right now. He suddenly found his shoes highly interesting.



_______________________________________________________



Joyce's Bedroom-


Spike was lying on the bed, still zoned out. Tara was curled up in the armchair with Dawn sitting Indian style on the floor in front of her. Dawn was watching Spike with wide eyes and her full attention waiting for even the barest smidgen of movement while Tara ran her fingers through her hair in a calming manner, reminiscent of the way Buffy had always done it.


Dawn broke the silence when she spoke up in a tiny whisper, "Tara?'


"Yeah sweetie?" Tara responded in the same type of hushed whisper, as if their speaking would wake Spike.


"He's gonna be ok, right?" Her voice broke with unshed tears.


"Oh Dawnie," Tara got up from her position in the chair and got down on the floor next to Dawn and wrapped the suddenly tiny girl in her arms. "He'll be fine. Will's gonna bring him back."


Dawn couldn't keep her tears in check any longer, so when she spoke again she was crying full on, "I mean, he's gotta be ok. He's just gotta. I can't go through this too. I just lost Buffy. He's gotta wake up."


"Hush sweetie." Tara cooed in her ear. "Will's gonna figure this out. But you still got us too ya know."


"But Spike is my friend. He's not just friends with me because of Buffy. He's been takin' care of me. I've been takin' care of him."


"Dawn, I promise it'll be fine. Will's the brainy type, she'll bring him back. And she already knows what to do, so it'll be all that much faster." Tara assured her. "And we're your friends too, sweetie, don't forget that." to which Dawn merely nodded.


At that moment Willow walked through the bedroom door with her candles and incense. She looked at Tara with a question in her eyes to which Tara responded with a small shake of her head, confirming Willow's fears that; one-there had been no change; and two-Dawn was a wreck.


She came to rest on her haunches in front of the girl and put a hand on her forearm, rubbing back and forth in an effort to sooth her. Dawn's eyes were still trained on the 'veggie vamp' searching for even the most miniscule twitch in hopes that he wasn't gone from her. "Hey Dawnie," Willow spoke in a soft voice. Dawn finally took her eyes away from Spike and looked at Willow, finally seeing her. "You okay?" She asked but got no response. "I'm gonna set up to do the spell ok? Maybe you should go downstairs and get yourself something to eat? Whaddya say?"


Dawn gave an almost imperceptible shake of her head, "Not hungry." Then she returned her gaze to the bed that housed her surrogate big brother.


Willow threw a silent request to her girlfriend over Dawn's head, pleading with her to help. "Dawnie, I'm a little hungry myself. Can you come down and help me find something to eat? I'm sure the others are probably hungry too, okay?"


Dawn kept casting hesitant looks between Spike on the bed and the door, trying to decide if it were more important for her to stay there, or go downstairs and play hostess. This was technically her house now. The only Summers woman left standing. Her self-imposed responsibility finally won out when she decided that her mother would've had her hide if she ignored guests in their home. So she nodded her head and stood. "I don't know if we even have any food with all the kidnapping and world saving going on." She wiped the tears on her face and then ran her hands down her legs, "Buffy and I kinda weren't really concerned on stockin' the fridge."


Tara stood also and put her right arm around Dawn's shoulders, "That's alright sweetie. If we can't find anything, we can run to the market." When she saw Dawn's panicked expression she quickly amended her statement, "O-or we can get someone else to go. Either way. There's a house full of people and I'm sure Spike will want you here when he finally comes to." The relief that spread over Dawn's face was so visible that Tara couldn't hold back the smile, "Ok then, off we go."


As they were walking out the door Dawn stopped, just before she went through, and took one final look at the 'veggie vamp' and then looked to Willow and spoke so low that she had to strain to hear, "Please Willow. Please bring him back."

Willow gave her a sympathetic look and nodded her head responding, "I will Dawnie, I promise."
CHAPTER THREE by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Mondo thanks to Meli!
Disclaimer: Still in full effect, I still don't own anything. Some dialogue borrowed from 'Fool For Love' and 'The Gift'. Where given where due, I promise.

___________________________________________________


Summerland-


Buffy looked to her mother, "I had no idea she was this close to him mom." She said referring to her sister and the vampire lying on her mother's bed.


Joyce patted Buffy's back, "I know sweetie but that's only because you didn't want to know. But now you've seen it yourself."


"Yeah. I sure have. Wow, she's like, seriously, torn up." She turned to Whistler, "Do you think what Willow did for me will help him?"


He shrugged, "Why wouldn't it? Worked for you dinnit?"


"Well, yeah, but I'm not a vamp and he's not a Slayer. So, kinda not the same."


Whistler shook his head at her, "He's got a working brain, that's where he's stuck, so that's where she's gotta go."


Buffy looked back to the TV and watched as Willow placed the five candles around the room and lit some incense to help her meditate, "Will we be able to see what she sees?"


"Don't see why not. If that's what you wanna see, then think hard and hit the button like I told ya."


"Alright, alright. Smarty britches. Good grief you're moody."


"Am not."


"Are too."


"Am not."


"Are too."


"Ok you two. Stop it. You're worse than two kids fighting over the swing."


_______________________________________________________


Sunnydale-


Back in Joyce's bedroom Willow set up her candles, five in total, one at the head of the bed, one at each side and two at the foot of the bed, all making the pentacle, the quarters and the elements. She then moved to light the Sage incense to purify and cleanse the area while helping her relax, then the Sandalwood to help clear her mind. She sat on the bed, Indian style, next to the vampire and began going through the routine of grounding and centering herself to prepare her mind and body for the trance-like state she had to be in in order to reach Spike's mind.


*FLASH*


Willow found herself in the Bronze, but not the Bronze of now. This was the Bronze from High School days. Egh! Early High School days judging buy the hair styles she was seeing. She walked a little farther inside and spotted Buffy sitting at a table talking to her, the past her, and Xander walking up to join them. Words were exchanged and Present Willow remembered the conversation that had ensued, something about Buffy needing to study French and then the abandonment of said French homework in favor of dancing. The three made their way to the dance floor and Willow looked to her left and realized that she was standing next to Spike in the shadows. She looked back onto the dance floor unable to grasp the wigginess that she was experiencing at seeing her past self, not to mention past Buffy and past Xander.


"Wow." Willow's voice brought Spike's attention to her for a second.


"Hey Red." Spike said it as if he weren't surprised to see her there at all. Then he turned back to watch Buffy dance, "Wasn't she beautiful?" He asked nostalgically.


Willow smiled and looked at him with understanding shining brightly in her eyes, "Yeah, she was." Trying to get a smile from the vamp she added, "She looks even better dancing beside Xander and me. God, I was such a spaz." She received a small, tight lipped grin in response.


Deciding after a few moments it was time to get down to business, she turned her body towards Spike fully and spoke again, "Spike, what are you doing here? Dawn wants you back home. We all want you back home."


"Even Harris?" He asked amused.


"Well, maybe not as much as the rest of us, but yeah. He doesn't want you to stay all zone outy."


When he didn't respond she returned to his side and gazed out over the dance floor. Neither one spoke for a few moments and then Spike spoke in a voice so quiet that Willow was surprised she even heard him at all, "I miss her Red."


If possible, Willow's face took on an even more sympathetic look, "I know Spike. I know. We all miss her. That's why you need to come back to us. We need to all be there for each other. Dawn is such a wreck now, worrying over you."


At the mention of Dawn's name Spike finally tore his eyes away from Buffy's form still dancing and looked directly into Willow's eyes, his own clearly relaying how worried he was. "Nib? She's not ok? I didn't mean to worry the girl." He looked away, into the distance, "Silly chit, worryin' 'bout a vamp anyway."


Willow decided then that her best option would be to play on Spike's concern for the youngest Summers and went with it. "No Spike. She's not ok. The one person she's closest to right now is all 'deep space nine' in his head. She's worried sick about you. She's not eating. She's hardly talking. Tara had to practically drag her away from your side so I could come in here and get you." Ok, Willow thought, so that was a big ole fat lie. But oh well, I gotta get his attention somehow. It's for a good cause. she reasoned with herself. So with that thought planted firmly in the forefront of her mind Willow rationalized her tiny fib and decided not to feel guilty.


Spike looked pained for a moment and Willow thought she might've convinced him to snap out of it. Then his expression changed to one of indifference and he shrugged his shoulders, "She'll be better off without me anyhow. If I stay here I can see Buffy anytime I want just by thinking about her."


"Spike, you can't stay here forever." Willow tried to reason with him.


"Why not?"


"'Cause you don't belong here."


"But she's not dead here."


*FLASH*


Willow looked around at her unfamiliar surroundings. She began walking around looking for Spike while muttering to herself, "Now, if I had a dog, and that dog's name was 'Toto' this would be about the time I said to him, 'Toto, we're not on the Hellmouth anymore.'" Unbeknownst to her, she was voicing the same thought her friend had earlier in a totally different dimension. She continued walking not seeing any signs of Spike anywhere. "Spike? Spike!" She hollered but got no response. "Stupid vampire. I know you're here. This is your mind, not mine...SPIKE!!" At that moment she heard his loud, booming voice and took of at a jog to find him.


When she rounded the corner she was met with a sight she hadn't expected in the least, which caused her to stop abruptly. Spike was there, and he was talking to Dru. "Okee dokee then. She's the last person, err vampire, I expected I'd see in a Buffy induced and inspired trip through the inner workings of Spike's mind." She knew of course, that one hundred plus years with the vampiress couldn't be discounted or forgotten, but she didn't exactly see where she fit into the picture of Spike's grief over the Slayer. "And what the frilly heck is that thing standing by them?" Willow couldn't help but ask when she spotted the slimy antler guy in a grey suit.


As she began to inch closer to the trio, she was able to hear the conversation, or should she say argument, between Spike and Dru. She apparently had been caught cheating with slimy antler guy, which, eww, and Spike was calling her on it and Dru was all the while trying to justify her actions.


"Why can't you kill her?" Drusilla cried.


Spike rolled his eyes and replied frustrated, "You're the one who keeps bringing her up!" He turned back towards her, "I haven't said a word about the bloody Slayer since we left California. She's on the other side of the planet, Dru!" He gestured with his arms widely.


"But you're lying! I can still see her floating all 'round you, laughin’. Why? Why won't you push her away?"


"But I did, pet. I did it for you. You keep punishing me." He waved towards the slimy antler guy, "Carrying on with creatures like this." Willow couldn't stop the grimace, Oh gross, she slept with THAT?'


The demon looked back and forth between the two vamps, "Ok, you guys obviously have a thing goin' on here."


Drusilla looked to Spike, her hands on her stomach, "I have to find my pleasure somewhere, Spike." She screwed up her face, "You taste like ashes."


Spike gestured to the general area, but talking about the demon, "So this is my fault now?"


The demon turned to Spike, "I didn't know she was seeing somebody." Off of Spike's look, he backed away a little, "I should take off."


Spike tilted his head, "Yea, why don't you do that?"


Slimy antler guy blew a kiss to Drusilla and walked away.


She looked to Spike with a sad look on her face, "You can't blame the ghoul Spike. You're all covered with her. I look at you..." She trailed off, "All I see is the Slayer." As Dru said this, Willow understood why she was seeing this. This must be right before Spike came back to Sunnydale this last time. Willow thought. Dru was a seer after all, maybe she knew before Spike did that he was in love with Buffy. She mused.


As Willow watched Dru walk away, she came to stand next to Spike, not saying anything, figuring he still couldn't see her. Her mind was running amuck with all the implications of what she'd witnessed, so when Spike spoke, she was startled from her thoughts because she figured she was only here to observe and not interact. She missed what he said since her thoughts were so loud, "Huh?" She asked as she looked over to him, "Sorry, didn't expect you to talk to me. Figured I was supposed to be all observy this time 'round. What'd you say?"


Spike, still looking in the direction Dru had taken off, repeated to himself, "She knew long before I did how I felt about Buffy. I just didn't realize that's what she meant by everything she said. Just figured it was more psychotic nattering."


Willow nodded her head, looking in the same direction as him as he confirmed her earlier suspicions. "Yeah. I kinda figured that's what was going on, her being all with the seer ness and everything. Otherwise why would you bring me here to...wherever we are?" She looked around the area, "Where are we?" Willow finally asked.


"Brazil."


"Oh, ok. Well, anyway, why else would we be here in Brazil? 'Cause, ya know, I figured this whole deal was Buffy centered."


"Isn't most everything?" Spiked asked rhetorically.


"So what was up with slimy antler guy?" Willow asked after a few minutes of silence. "He was all with the gooey-ooey sliminess."


Spike gave a small chuckle at that, "'Antler guy'?"


Willow smiled at him, "Yeah. 'S my name for him. Dunno what he was."


"He was a Chaos demon. Nasty buggers, them." Spike answered. "Dru was havin' an affair with him."


"Ugh!" Willow scrunched up her face, "That's just wrong."


"Ugh is right." he agreed.


"She slept with that thing? Wouldn't that be kinda, I dunno, messy? What with the drippiness and all?"


"Yup, 'spose so."


Willow scrunched up her face, again, "Eww...that's just...eww."


Spike's laughter rang out followed by another


*FLASH*


Willow was now standing in Giles' kitchen, Spike no longer beside her. She looked around but didn't see anyone. As she stepped into the living room she noticed Giles lying on the couch with a washcloth over his eyes. "Huh." She stated, looking around again trying to figure out when this was. At that instant Buffy and Spike came down the stairs hanging all over each other acting like love sick teens. Willow grumbled and shut her eyes as they took a seat in the armchair. Shaking her head she said, "Great. Just great. I so wanna relive this day."


She jumped when she heard Spike's voice. He was sitting with Buffy in his lap lavishing his neck with kisses. When he spoke Buffy carried on so Willow assumed correctly that what he said was for her benefit. "Don't feel bad on my account. This was the happiest day of my whole soddin' existence."


Willow looked at him with a questioning gaze. "What?" she asked, "When the spell was broken you were totally grossed out. Complained that you had Buffy taste in your mouth."


Spike shook his head slightly not wanting to dislodge the Slayer, "No, don't get me wrong. I did feel sick right after it happened. I mean, come on, Master Vampire here, gettin' all mushy-gushy and snoggin' with the Slayer? Plannin' a weddin'?" He scoffed, "Thought it was my worst nightmare at the time. But when I realized I loved her, really loved her, no magic involved, I looked back on this day with a smile. 'Cause for one day, just one, she loved me too. Someone loved me as much as I loved them. Someone took care of me for a change. I had a family for a day." He stopped speaking for a minute and looked down at Buffy looking at him with so much love shining through her hazel eyes that his own filled with tears. He gave her a small, almost chaste kiss on her lips and then began speaking again. "She loved me Red." He spoke quietly, almost reverently. "She loved me. Just like I loved her. For just one day, my love wasn't unrequited. Not like with Cecily, not like with Dru and not like normal with Buffy."


Cecily? Well that name was new, so Willow couldn't help but ask, "Cecily? Who's that?"


For a second Spike looked like he'd been caught and Willow realized that he hadn't meant to say that last part out loud. Then his expression changed back to one of love as he looked back to her best friend and replied quietly, "No one."


Willow walked up to the chair and knelt down in front of Spike, watching as he gently caressed Buffy's cheek while she was writing in her binder. "Spike," she spoke softly, "I know you don't wanna, but we should really get back. Dawn and Tara are prob'ly about to break through the door. And believe me; it takes a lot to ruffle my girl's feathers. We've been gone a while."


He slowly shook his head, "They might be worried 'bout you, but I'd wager they could give a toss or not 'bout me."


"That's not true Spike and you know it. They give a toss. We need to go home." She reiterated.


"No. I don't wanna leave here." He ran a finger down the side of Buffy's face, "Here is good."


Willow lay a gentle hand on Spike's knee, "Spike, here's not real."


Still caressing her face he asked, "Why can't it be? Feels real enough to me. Buffy feels real enough to me. Just let me stay here Red. I can't face the Nibblet and everyone else. Can't see their faces when they look at me. All that hate. All that disappointment." He shook his head as if trying to dispel the images of everyone looking at him disdainfully. "Don't know why you're even here making nicey-nice. Don't deserve it."


Willow looked at him quizzically, "What do you mean Spike?"


"'S my fault." He stated simply.


"What? What are you talking about? What's your fault?"


"'S my fault she's gone." He replied mournfully.


*FLASH*


She was now standing in the foyer of the Summers' home. "Geez, enough with the flash-o-rama. My retinas are burning." Spike was nowhere in sight and just as she was about to call out for him, Buffy came through the front door speaking. Willow looked to the still open doorway to see Spike standing at the threshold, and then he was speaking.


"Pet, if you'll just slide the chest over, I'll grab what we need..." he trailed off.


Buffy looked over at him, almost guiltily, "Come in Spike."


Willow took in the expressions on Spike's face. Shock. Happiness. Relief. Fear. Nervousness. But most evident, love.


He slowly brought his hand up and through the space where the invisible wall had previously been mere seconds ago. He let out a short chuckle, "Hmm. Presto, no barrier." Then he seemed to come to his senses and walked into the house fully, bustling past Buffy to the weapon's chest. "I'll just grab a few things. Couple of small axes should do the trick."


Willow heard Buffy speak again, from her spot in the doorway. "We're not all gonna make it."


Geez Buff, let's just be pessimistic here. Willow couldn't help but think, even though she knew the outcome of the evening.


Spike walked towards Buffy with a look of acceptance on his face, "I always knew I'd go down fightin'."


Buffy shocked Willow with her next words, "I'm counting on you to protect her."


Spike's expression became deadly serious, "'Til the end of the world." Then with a small smile, he added, "Even if that happens to be tonight." Buffy turned to walk up the stairs but Spike's voice halted her progress, "Buffy," she turned back to face him, "I know you'll never love me. I know I'm a monster. But you treat me like a man. And that's..." He trailed off and looked down, unable to finish. He cleared his throat, "You go, get your stuff. I'll be here."


He watched her go around the corner and then turned and looked directly into Willow's eyes, "I was supposed to protect her."


*FLASH*


Willow dropped down on her hands and knees when she found herself on top of Glory's tower all of a sudden. "Goddess." She breathed out. Then when she remembered that this wasn't real, she stood back up. "Good grief Spike. Warn a girl next time, will ya?" She turned around as she heard an unfamiliar voice and was met with the sight of Dawn tied up at the end of the landing they were on. Some creepy old guy was speaking to her. "Oh Dawnie." Willow turned back in the other direction when she heard thundering footsteps racing up the stairs. I don't remember there being elephants. How did I miss that? she thought amusedly to herself, trying not to let the events being replayed get to her. Then all of a sudden Spike appeared at the end of the landing.


"Spike!" She heard Dawn exclaim with relief in her voice.


'Creepy Old Guy' turned to face Spike as a result of Dawn's outburst.


Spike sauntered towards the old geezer and asked, "What's it take for a bloke to stay dead?"


"I could say the same for you." Willow heard 'Creepy Old Guy' reply.


"You and me are gonna have a go." Spike declared right before he launched himself at the older looking man. As a result he was knocked to the floor, "You're not touching the girl mate."


"Why are you doing this? I don't smell a soul on you."


Aha! That's why he's creepy, he's a demon. Willow observed, and then even though he couldn't hear her she added, No offense Spike.


"Made a promise to a lady." Was all Spike had said.


"Well, I'll send her your apologies." With that the demon attacked Spike. He turned Spike around so that he was facing Dawn with his arms behind his back. Willow heard Dawn mutter a quiet 'no' and Spike answered with a breathy 'no' of his own. Between the desperation Willow heard in Dawn's voice and the horror she heard in Spike's she couldn't hold back the tears that fell.


When Willow saw the demon throw Spike off of the tower, she gasped, "Oh Goddess." No one but Dawn and Spike knew what had actually transpired on the top of that tower. And Willow having now seen it felt sick.


Before Willow knew what was happening she popped off of the tower and the next instant found herself at the bottom of it, in front of a bloody and broken Spike lying on the ground. Sobs were wracking through his body and Willow knelt down beside him unsure if he could even see her much less hear anything she said, "Spike, it's alright. You tried. Ssh, don't cry." In spite of her words to Spike, Willow felt tears fall down her own face unchecked.


"No Willow! It's not alright." Spike all but shouted still sobbing. She knew he was serious because he used her actual name. "I didn't try hard enough. I failed. I had one, ONE, bloody job to do. The one thing she asked me to do and I failed."


"No Spike. No you didn't. You didn't fail, you tried. I saw it." Willow said trying to reassure him. But she knew there was no consolation that she could offer the vampire so she just sat beside him gently rubbing circles on his back.


*FLASH*


Willow looked around and saw she was back on the top of the tower. She turned around expecting to see Dawn in the same spot as before. But she wasn't there, in her place stood Buffy. Willow heard the thundering footsteps heralding Spike's arrival. As she turned in his direction she saw him walking towards Buffy with an anguished look on his face, but looking determined at the same time. "Spike? What're you doing?"


"Killin' Buffy." He simply stated.


"What? Why?" Willow squeaked confused. Ok, I thought this was all about the guiltiness that is Spike. Why would he kill Buffy in his mind this way?


Spike finally reached Buffy and when he was only a scant few inches from her he simply stood looking at her with a defeated look in his eyes. Buffy for her part, stood completely stock still, returning his gaze with tears cascading down her cheeks and a question in her eyes.


"Because this is what I do. I kill." Spike stated.


Willow couldn't suppress the shudder that ran through her body and the sense of deja vu she just experienced thinking how Spike's words were oddly similar to words Buffy had spoken herself when Willow had followed her on her jaunt into 'trance land'. Ok, completely wiggin' here. She thought while aloud, she said, "Spike, stop it. You're not a killer anymore. And you wouldn't kill her anyway."


"Yes I am." He answered shortly. "Yes I would." Then before Willow could blink, he was picking up Buffy, who was oddly enough, loose from her confines, and threw her off the tower.


"NOO!!" Willow screamed starting towards the end of the landing.


Spike just stood next to her staring down at Buffy's body. "She's dead because of me. 'S just the same as if I'd thrown her off here myself instead of her jumpin'."


"Spike, how can you say that?"


"I killed her. Simple as that."


"No!" Willow repeated vehemently turning towards Spike, she continued, "It's notas simple as that. You did all you could. You can't blame yourself. You. Did not. Do. This!" She punctuated each word with a jab to his chest.


"'Course that's what happened. She'd be alive if I weren't a failure. It's my fault." he repeated, and Willow could hear the tears he was trying to conceal come out through his shaky voice and wondered what she could say to him to make him believe her.


"No it's not." Twin voices were heard from behind the pair before Willow could even open her mouth.


They turned simultaneously to face the new arrivals. Spike almost fell off the tower from shock, while Willow had to remind herself to breath.


_______________________________________________________

Summerland (Earlier)


The only three beings in this dimension were avidly watching the TV screen as Willow's trip to 'trance land' with Spike moved along. Buffy sat silent through most of the scenes, just observing. She never knew that Spike had watched her inside the Bronze, even before talking to her, that first night. She couldn't keep the smile from forming when she saw Willow, Xander and herself dancing. And boy if Willow wasn't right. They did look like spazzes. But that was part of why she loved them, they were so real.


And the whole Dru knowing Spike was in love with her even before he did himself was just wiggy. Spike hadn't told her that she was the reason Dru had broken up with him. And on a side bar, eww much on the slimy cousin to the reindeer. Ok, she knew Dru was a vampire and that they're all large with the sexual openness, but gross!


And then the scene at her house before the battle with Glory. After everything she'd seen while here, that scene made her feel good because she'd made him feel good. Being in this place was making her brain all turvy-topsy. She came here with a firm standing position on her feelings and thoughts towards Spike. Now that was all kerblowie, out the window. She was feeling sympathy towards him, and she had the whole protective vibe thing going for him because Angel had been a butt. And now she was feeling good because she'd said something that made him feel good? What was up with that anyway? It wasn't helping that Spike was so upset and grief ridden. It also wasn't helping that her friends and Dawn had been completely fawning over him and standing up for him. It wasn't helping that Angel was being such a jerk either. Cordelia didn't surprise her, she was always a bitch. But the major thing that soo was not helping was her mother. Sure, she'd always liked Spike; she'd always had some sort of maternal 'thing' with him. Drinking hot chocolate (don't forget the mini marshmallows) with him while listening to the problems in his love life, she and Dawn laughing with him in the kitchen. She never had understood the relationship between the three.


This brought her back to the whole my mother is wigging thing. As soon as Spike had said the first word about how he felt on the tower she'd been alternating between crying her eyes out because she felt so badly for Spike and yelling at him through the screen. Her mother thought it was absolutely ridiculous that Spike would blame himself and she had no qualms about shouting it loud enough that there was every possibility he might actually hear her. It was like watching a football fanatic on Thanksgiving Day disagreeing with the Referee and screaming it to the TV set.


But when Buffy let herself admit it, she realized that she felt the same way. She felt totally despicable that he thought he was to blame for her decision to jump. She'd known that's what she had to do, even before all the prophecy mumbo jumbo. But that'd only confirmed what she already knew. She'd been meant to jump off that tower. She hadn't originally known that it was all for some higher purpose, or her destiny, but, whatever. She'd known what she had to do. And now Spike was torturing himself over something that couldn't have been avoided.


Ok, he's gotta stop with the loopity loop and the blame game. She thought to herself.


"He's not gonna stop." Whistler spoke up from beside her.


She whipped her head around and lightly smacked him on the arm, "Stop doin' that."


Whistler chuckled while rubbing his much abused arm, "Sorry. Sorry, but I can't help it, you're an easy target."


Buffy glared at him, "You're one to talk 'Fedora Boy'." She looked back at the scene before her, "And what'd you mean? He's not gonna stop?"


"I mean exactly what you think I mean. Exactly what I said. He won't stop. He doesn't see any reason to wake up." Whistler replied.


Buffy scoffed, "Of course he's got a reason to wake up. Willow already told him they needed and wanted him to wake up."


"Yeah, she's told him. But that doesn't mean he believes her. You're gone. You were pretty much his reason. Period."


"But what about Dawn?"



"Didn't you hear what he said to Willow about Dawn? He thinks she'll be better off without him. He thinks he failed. That you're here because of him."


"But that's not true. I was gonna end up here regardless. I mean, that is what you said isn't it?" Buffy protested.


"Yeah, that's what I said. But nobody down there," he pointed to the screen, "knows that. He thinks you're here because he wasn't fast enough or strong enough."


"Well, someone's gotta make him see." Buffy stated firmly. "He's acting like a dope for no reason."


Joyce, who had been silent during Whistler and Buffy's conversation, spoke up, "Why can't we?"


Buffy looked at her mother, "Huh?"


"Well," Joyce waved her hand towards Whistler, "He's a link to the Powers and they can pretty much do anything, so send us and then we can tell him."


Buffy turned hopeful eyes to Whistler, "Can you? I can't sit here and watch him torture himself like this for something that couldn't be avoided. Me and mom are prob'ly the only people he'll listen to right now."


Joyce nodded her head in agreement, "Yes. He needs a stern motherly talkin' to. Plus, I bet if he knew what that Angel was saying he'd wake up just so he could go kick his ass."


"MOM!" Buffy exclaimed shocked.


"What?" her mother asked full of innocence.


"You did it again. Called him that Angel again." She paused for a second the lifted a finger in the air and pointed at her mother accusingly. "A-and you said ass. You never cuss."


"Yeah, well, heat of the moment and all." Joyce answered nonchalantly ignoring the comment on her preference of name for the soulful vamp. She then turned back to Whistler, "Well? What are you waiting for?"


"Patience. Patience." Whistler cocked his head to the side, listening intently to something only he could hear, and then turned back to Buffy. "Ok, they'll let you do it. But only 'cause you're going back soon anyway."


"What about me?" Joyce asked.


Whistler shook his head, "No, I'm not sure that would be such a great idea."


She marched defiantly up to him and stood directly in front of him with her hands planted firmly on her hips. Shaking her head she said, "Oh no Mr. Link to the Powers. You will be sending me. You really don't want me mad."


Buffy walked up and stood next to her mother with her arms crossed, all of her weight on her right leg with her left foot pointed out and one perfectly manicured eyebrow arched. "She's right ya know. She can be right feisty. Better let her come along before she makes your immortal life completely miserable. We Summers’ women have special abilities with that." She and her mother shared a look and a quick nod then looked back to Whistler. Their matching expressions showing a mixture between being threatening and being expectant.


He was once again having a conversation with what they assumed to be the Powers. He huffed a bit, and then said, "Fine. Fine. You can both go. Bossy women. I sure hope he listens to you or I feel sorry for the poor guy."


And with that they were gone.



_______________________________________________________


Trance land-


Joyce and Buffy popped up behind Willow and Spike. As soon as they realized where they were, they heard Spike saying, "'Course that's what happened. She'd be alive if I weren't a failure. It's my fault."


"No it's not." They said in unison, startling the other two people standing on the landing. Willow and Spike turned simultaneously. Spike almost fell and Buffy couldn't hold back the giggle that erupted from her chest, while Joyce just smiled at the other's expressions.


"Geez Spike, you've been standin' upright for how long?" She joked, then turned towards Willow and said, "Will, breathe." To which the witch did exactly that and Buffy nodded. She lifted her hand for a small wave, "Hey guys."


Both figures remained completely still and silent for quite a while. Mother and daughter looked at each other and shrugged. Buffy spoke up again, "Well? Have you two suddenly become mute?"


That seemed to snap Spike out of it and he whirled on Willow, grasping her by the shoulders and asking in an angry voice, "What did you do witch? Is this some sick joke?"


Willow just stood there dumbly, shaking her head back and forth, still shell shocked. "No Sp... N-no. I-I didn't...No, I didn't do anything. Spike, I swear."


"Then what's going on? Whatever trick this is won't work." He shouted.


During all of the commotion Buffy and Joyce had moved forward, one on each side of Spike. They each put a hand on his arm which caused him to jump and his eyes jumped from one to the other, finally landing on Joyce when she started speaking, "Spike, calm down. Willow didn't do this. No one did." She paused for a second, "Well, someone did, obviously. But not the way you think and not for the reasons you think. This isn't a joke or some trick. Honest.” He released Willow, still looking at Joyce. After a few seconds he looked down.


"You can't be here. Either of you." He said quietly.


"But we are." It was Buffy this time. He swiftly brought his head up and met her eyes for an instant, with tears begging to be released. But he looked away just as quickly. Just not quick enough for Buffy to miss the obvious anguish written on his face. She removed her hand from his arm and grabbed his chin, lifting it in order to see his eyes. He kept looking anywhere but in her direction, "We had to come. Had to stop you torturin' yourself for no reason." With a small smile she added, "Only I'm allowed to do that." She received the tiniest of grins from him in response. It wasn't much, but it was something.


But then he shook his head as if dispelling any happiness he might've felt and became somber again. "'S not torture if I know I deserve it."


Joyce ran her hand back and forth on his arm, "Spike, you have nothing to feel guilty for. You don't deserve all this. It wasn't your fault..."


Buffy cut in, "And why are you feelin' guilt anyway? You're a vampire. You're not supposed to feel guilty. It's just weird." Joyce shot her a glare letting her know that her jokes weren't appropriate. She rolled her eyes, "Good grief, just tryin' to lighten up the mood here. Sor-ry."


Joyce grinned and shook her head slightly turning back to Spike, "Why areyou feeling guilty? Sad, yeah, I can understand. But guilt? I didn't think you felt guilty for anything. So, if you're not supposed to, then why do you? Especially if it's not even remotely your fault." She asked him in her motherly tone.


"I dunno." He answered honestly, and so softly that with his head still down Joyce missed what he said and asked him to repeat himself. He sighed, "I don't know." He replied exasperated.


"Well, either way, you have nothing to feel guilty about. Buffy was meant to jump, so stop this pity ditty and get home." She smiled reassuringly, "My youngest is missing her pseudo big brother ya know."


Willow, who had been silent during the entire exchange just letting Buffy and Joyce talk to Spike, suddenly perked up, "What? She was meant to jump? Why?" She asked shocked. Spike looked up wanting to hear the answer also.


"That's not for you to know right now." Joyce said sternly. "You'll find out. But for now, all you need to know is that it was meant to happen," she added in a softer tone.


Buffy piped up, "Yeah, it’s the whole destiny, yadda, yadda, higher purpose blah blah." She commented in a bored voice.


"Buffy!" Joyce admonished.


"What?"


"We're not supposed to say anything." She whispered sharply to her daughter.


"It's not like I really said anything about the stupid prophecy." Buffy replied in a normal voice, then slapped a hand over her mouth as she realized what she'd let slip and looked at her mother wide eyed.


"BUFFY!"


She gave her mom a sheepish look and said "Oops," in a small voice while shrugging.


Spike and Willow were looking back and forth between the two Summers' women in avid interest while choosing to ignore, for the moment, Buffy's slip up, but storing it away for research later.


"Gracious Buffy. Whistler's gonna kill you."


"Mom, I'm already dead." She pointed out.


Joyce's eyes narrowed, "You know very well what I mean. Don't get snippy with me young lady."


Buffy bowed her head, "Sorry mom."


They both seemed to realize at that moment that they'd been ignoring Willow and Spike. Joyce turned to each and said, "Sorry guys." Then fixed Spike with her gaze, "So, you gonna be ok now? We can't stay much longer."


"Yeah, plus everyone needs you back home. You've both been 'gone' for a while now." Buffy said making the air quotes.


Spike spoke softly in a resigned tone, "They might need Red there, but they don't need me."


Buffy whacked him on the arm, "Will you quit it? God! You've got three people standing here telling you that you're needed. So...you're needed. Deal ya big dope. Dawn's been wiggin', Giles is worried, Tara's worried, Xander wants you to wake up so he doesn't have to face Angel and Cordelia alone, and Anya, well, Anya's just there, but you get the idea I'm givin' ya right?"


Joyce saw a good opportunity to convince Spike to end this whole charade and return home, "Yeah Spike, you should really get back so you can set that Angel in his place."


"Mom! Stop callin' him 'that Angel'. Geez."


"Hush up child."


Her comment earned her the reaction she'd been hoping for, "Why mum? What's the poof doin'?"


"He's being a wanker." She stated.


Spike couldn't help but smirk in spite of his previous melancholy. " 'S at so?" He looked over at Buffy to gauge her reaction to her mother's comment and she looked slightly embarrassed, but not overly defensive rushing to Angel's rescue.


"Yes. He's been a jerk ever since you zoned out. Tell him Buffy." Joyce looked at Buffy and gestured towards Spike. When Buffy remained silent, Joyce gave her 'the look', "Oh come on. You can't say he hasn't been."


"Yes, ok. Fine. He has been rather butt holey." She looked at her mom, "Happy now?"


"Not nearly." Willow and Spike both snickered at Joyce's answer.


Willow looked to Spike, "So you think you're ready to go back now?"


"I dunno if I can face everyone."


"Pfft. Sure you can." Buffy told him, "You don’t have anything to worry about. You'll be fine."


"Yeah, and that's coming from the horse's mouth." Willow added, nodding her head. Spike and Joyce both chuckled at her comment while Buffy gasped in mock outrage.


"I am not a horse Will!"


Willow just smiled at her in response, already missing her best friend all over again.


"Ok kids, Buffy and I have to be getting back." Joyce said sadly. She turned to Spike and pulled him into a hug, much to his surprise, and whispered in his ear, "It's not your fault." When she pulled back she looked into his eyes and inclined her head, "Alright?"


Spike nodded. "I miss you mum." He told her getting choked up.


Joyce nodded her head in agreement with a few unshed tears threatening to fall, "Oh Spike, I miss you too."


He looked up at her completely vulnerable, "Really?" She just nodded and he smiled. "Nobody makes a cuppa coco quite like you did mum."


"And don't forget the little marshmallows." She said as the tears finally fell.


"Hey you two quit yer blubberin' already." Buffy interjected good naturedly, but she couldn't hide the dampness in her own eyes. Then she did the unexpected. She put her arms around Spike and gave him a Slayer style hug. The effects of which any normal man would've suffocated from.


Spike was shocked to say the least. So much so that it took him about a half a second to overcome it and return the hug, wanting to savor it for as long as possible. "Buffy..." He muttered while inhaling the scent that was all her. Sunshine and life with Jasmine and Vanilla overtones.


Buffy further surprised him by staying inside the embrace for as long as he did. When she pulled back she whispered in his ear, "Stop brooding or we'll have to change your name to Junior." He growled in her hair and she smirked pulling completely back to look into his eyes. "I'm serious. Everything's cool." She stepped out of his embrace and added shyly, "I'll see ya soon."


"What?" he asked but she just smiled at him while shaking her head. To say Spike was confused by Buffy's actions, let alone her words, was definitely misleading. He was beyond confused. He didn't know what to think. What was that hug all about? She'd only ever shown him any type of affection or any type personal, non-violent touch twice. Once on the happiest day of his existence, the day Red's 'Will Be Done Spell’ went wonky, and second, after that Hell Bitch poked him but good. He couldn't think of anything that could possibly compel her to be this nice to him, much less show any type of affection towards him. Yeah, before she...died, and oh how it still pained him to think of that word in association with her, but before then, she'd been civil and they'd sorta reached an understanding, but not the type of understanding that would warrant this radical change in attitude towards him.


He was brought from his thoughts by Joyce, "Ok you two, we've gotta get back, and so do you." She looked at Spike and pointed her finger at him, "And no more Mr. Mopey from you."


Spike cracked a sheepish grin and ducked his head, "Yes mum."


Joyce then turned to Willow, "You'll keep an eye on my boy, yeah? Don't let that Angel give him too much trouble."


"MOM!"


She ignored her daughter and kept looking to Willow for acknowledgement. Willow nodded her head in the affirmative, "Yes Ms. Summers, I'll keep 'em all in line or turn 'em toady."


"Good." She stepped away from Willow. "Alright Buffy, say your final goodbyes and let's go before 'you know who' gets into a tizzy."


Buffy walked up to Willow and pulled her friend into a tight hug. "Bye Wills. Take care of everyone for me. You're still the 'big gun'. Even more so now." She pulled back and smiled when Willow responded.


"I still don't wanna be the 'big gun'." Willow pouted.


"Yea, well, I don't wanna be this gorgeous and peppy but we all got our crosses to bear." The two friends chuckled. "I'm gonna miss you Wills. Give my love to everyone. Make sure Dawnie tells everyone what I told her to, 'kay?"


Willow nodded with tears in her eyes. Buffy started to walk away, but she grabbed her and spun her back around. At Buffy's questioning look, Willow simply said, "Just one more." And pulled her into another hug, "I love you Buffy."


"Love you too Wills." Buffy straightened again and walked to her mother's side linking their arms. "Alrighty hot momma, let's boogie."


"Not until they're gone." Joyce replied indicating to Willow and Spike. They both turned to look at the mother and daughter, Willow nodded, then mirrored Buffy and Joyce by linking her arm through Spike's.


"Ready Spike?"


Spike looked to Buffy one last, long time, drinking in her form as much as he could. When he didn't answer Willow nudged his arm and he looked at her, his brow up in question.


"Ready?" She repeated.


He took a final look at Buffy and then hesitantly nodded his head, which Willow copied. "Alrighty then. Let's do this. Bye guys!"


"Bye Wills."


"Goodbye Willow."


Buffy and Spike's eyes met, "Don't forget what I said, Junior."


"I love you" was all he said, and then he and Willow disappeared.






tbc...


review, review, review... please?
CHAPTER FOUR by Emmee
Author's Notes:
My two fabulous betas are muchly appreciated! You guys rock!
Your reviews are awesome! Keep 'em coming! They bring the writer out in me!

________________________________________________


Sunnydale- (Summers' Residence-Kitchen)


Dawn, along with the help of the gentle Wiccan, was currently in the kitchen doing her best to find something amidst a whole bunch of nothing to feed the current inhabitants of her house. The younger girl was doing everything in her power to keep her mind off of the resident 'veggie-vamp' still resting in her mother's bed. She really, really wanted to be up there with him and Willow. Just in case he actually did wake up soon. But she knew that the red headed Witch needed the quiet so she could concentrate fully. Dawn would just be a distraction to her and prolong the Brit's imminent waking and that wasn't something she wanted to do. The longer Spike was in 'lala land' the more she panicked.


So, here she was playing the good hostess and being the daughter her mother would've wanted her to be. The girls had found a tub of pimento cheese that was still a bit away from being inedible and some bread, so they were presently working an assembly line. Dawn spread the cheesy spread onto the pieces of bread, handed them to Tara who in turn cut them into small triangles and placed them on a plate, only to start the cycle again. They had a kettle of water slowly heating on the stove and Joyce's tea set sitting on the tray waiting for deployment.


The house was completely silent in spite of all the bodies currently housed within. She and Tara had walked down the stairs and into the living room and, unbeknownst to themselves, had stepped into the dimension called tension. Dawn chuckled silently at her marvelous rhyming abilities. Clearly words had been said between the eldest members of the assembly. Which, that in and of itself wasn't surprising. Angel was always shoving his lift adorned feet into his mouth, and Giles was certainly not in a mood for the petty jealousies that the older vampire harbored. She wasn't in the mood either, actually, no one was.


Angel was being so stupid. Everything always had to revolve around him, or at least, that's what he thought. Well, he apparently knew now that it was no longer that way in Sunnydale. He wasn't Mr. Cool Vamp Guy anymore. All the happenings in Buffy's life no longer centered around him. And Dawn couldn't be any happier; the whole Buffy/Angel circus show was soo tired. It was great that everyone was finally saying all those things she'd always wanted to say to him. The greatest side effect of all though, was the fact that everything her 'family' was saying to Angel and his crew was not only because it was how they felt about him, but also in the defense of her best friend, who happened to hate the massive vampire more than anyone on the face of the planet.


She realized that she'd drifted off into her own version of 'la la land' when she felt Tara's warm hand covering the hand holding the butter knife. She'd apparently been steadily spreading cheese on the same piece of bread during the entire monologue she'd carried on in her head. She mumbled a quiet 'sorry' and abandoned the torn up piece of bread for a brand new piece. As she handed the piece to Tara she spoke clearly, "I was just thinkin'. Didn't mean to join the Zoner's Club."


Tara gave her a small smile, "It's entirely understandable. You've been through a lot these last few weeks. You're allowed."


"Thanks."


"You're welcome sweetie."


Dawn put the knife down on the island and turned to Tara, "N-no. Not just for this. For everything. Bein' here all this time with me. With Spike out of it and everyone else dealing with stuff their own way, I was scared I'd be alone."


Tara finished cutting the final sandwich and placed it on the top of the pile on a plate. Turning herself to face Dawn she tried to reassure the teenager, "Dawnie, I told you before. You've got all of us too. We're not just Buffy's friends, regardless of what you might think or feel."


Dawn's eyes welled up with tears, "Yeah. You say that."


The shy blonde stood a little straighter and pulled Dawn into a one armed hug at her side, "You're right. I do say. So sayeth me." The girls shared a short laugh, grabbed the various treats and headed into the living room to join everyone else.


_______________________________________________


Summerland-


Before they could even blink, the mother and daughter pair found themselves back in their private dimension. Joyce looked to her daughter and noticed that she still had tears in her eyes, "Oh honey, what's wrong?"


Buffy shrugged, "Just thinkin' is all. I was always so mean to him. A-and to see everything he's just put himself through..." She trailed off and shrugged again, "I dunno. But I think I'm actually gonna miss the peroxide pest."


"Well, you'll see him again. Remember you're not here to stay."


"Yeah, I know I'll see him again, but when? Who knows how long I'm gonna be here. That little worm sittin' over there won't tell me anything that's comparable to useful." she grumbled pointing towards Whistler who looked to be napping against the Oak, his hat turned slightly over his face and his arms crossed.


Her mother pulled her into a hug, "It won't be that long. Before you even know it, it'll be time to leave here."


Buffy made a whiney sound and stomped a foot on the ground, "But I don't wanna leave here either. If I stay here, I'm with you, but not everyone else. If I leave here, I'm with everyone else, but not you." She paused for a moment, "This sucks!" She added petulantly.


"I know. And I'm sorry you have to go through this." Searching for a way to change the subject she turned it back to Spike. "And hey, just think about it. When you get back there you can work at making up for always being so mean to Spike." On the inside Joyce was ecstatic to see her daughter's reactions to the blond Brit. It was a well known fact that she'd always liked him, especially more than that Angel.


"I can try to make up for it. But there's so much. Not that he was a saint or anything, but he has been trying ever since he started to think he was in love with me. And I threw it all back in his face." Suddenly her eyes grew to a comically large size, "Oh God! What if I'm too late? What if I was so horrible to him that he'll never forgive me? He'll prob'ly hate me." A light appeared to come on for her and she took on an air of indifference, or what she hoped was one. "Not that it really matters anyway or anything. I don't care if he hates me or not."


"Uh huh." But Joyce was unimpressed. "You can't possibly tell me that anything that poor boy said or did made you think that it was too late to redeem yourself. He doesn't hate you. He loves you." She gave Buffy a look that dared her to disagree, "And don't you dare try to tell me that it doesn't matter one way or the other. You know very well that it would bother you if he hated you. You may not wanna admit it, but you actually like him." The two had begun moving towards the tree and it's neighboring TV without even realizing it. Joyce continued as they walked, "Spike loves you. That hasn't changed and it's not gonna either. If anything, when you get back I believe it will grow, in time. Now that you know how he really feels about you and the type of person he really is, your actions towards him will be different. And if you get back there and continue to treat him deplorably, well, you and I will have to talk little missy."


Buffy was quick in her attempt to placate her mother, "Mom, it's not gonna be like that, I promise. Things are different now. I couldn't go back to who I was even if I wanted to." Suddenly his face as he realized he was about to get thrown off the tower popped into her head. Then she heard Dru's words in Brazil, 'I look at you and all I see is the Slayer...' Was it really possible that he loved her even way back then and he just hadn't known it? Was it possible that she had always had some deeply hidden attraction to him? It was still a mystery as to how they'd never managed to kill each other in all those years. Is that what prevented it and they, mainly she, hadn't wanted to admit it? God, what would her friends say? What would Giles say? Who cares? a little voice, sounding alarmingly like Faith, sounded in her head. Obviously her mother liked him. Dawn loved him like the brother she'd never had, that much was apparent. But her friends? Her Watcher? That was a whole other taco my friend. You saw how everyone acted towards him today. They all accept him now. At least mildly. Rational Buffy piped in. She wasn't entirely sure that she could label the way her friends had treated Spike as acceptance though. No, it was probably tolerance. For now anyway. She figured she wouldn't truly know how her friends felt until she got back there and got to actually see them interact closely. But who knew when that would be? Hm, maybe I should pummel the dummy and get him to fess up. She thought eyeing Whistler.


Regardless of anything else, she wasn't sure where that spark of happiness that ignited throughout her body came from at the thought of having another chance at dealing with Spike. Especially at getting to know him better. All of the things she learned about Spike since her death had changed her way of thinking when it came to him, in a big way. So caught up in her thoughts, she didn't realize that they'd reached the tree. She looked up and saw her mother standing with her arms crossed and a knowing smile gracing her lips.


"What?" she asked trying to sound annoyed but failing miserably and sounding more bratty than anything.


Before Joyce could answer though, Whistler spoke surprising them both, as they'd thought he was asleep. "Welcome back ladies." He said with his hat still covering his eyes. He looked up and adjusted it, smirking at them, "You two have a nice trip?"


"As a matter of fact we did." Buffy answered.


"Yes, it was very nice to see Willow and Spike again. And I think we even talked sense into him." Joyce added.


"Well, good." He turned to Buffy then, "So...what'd you four talk about? Anything interesting?"


The Slayer was suddenly very nervous. "Like what?" She asked trying to portray a picture of innocence.


"Oh, I dunno..." He put a finger to his chin, looking far off, and seemingly deep in thought. He shrugged his shoulders and looked back to Buffy, "Um, maybe something like...'it's the whole destiny yadda yadda, higher purpose blah blah...' and maybe a little, 'it's not like I really said anything about the stupid prophecy'...Whatcha think? Ringin' any bells?"


"Oh." Was all Buffy said, "Oops?"


"Hunh! Yeah, oops." Whistler scoffed. "Do you have any idea what I had to do to smooth things over with..?" he trailed off pointing up.


"I didn't mean to!" Buffy protested, more than a hint of whine in her voice. "It's not like I did it on purpose or anything."


"No?" He asked incredulously. "Are you sure it was unintentional? You didn't say anything on purpose?"


"Pretty sure." She answered.


"Well, you better get more than pretty sure kid."


"Ok, I'm not sure." She said defeated.


"You're not sure..?"


"I'm pretty sure." She amended again, nodding and hoping to convince him and avoid any further talk on the subject.


"You're pretty sure..?"


"Fine. I'm not comp-lete-ly sure."


"Well, I'm pretty sure that I'm completely sure that you'd better get sure pretty damn quick."


"Huh?" Buffy asked confused.


Whistler sighed heavily and looked towards the sky, "Alright! Enough with the pretty sures and not sures. You know you said something. I know you said something, and they," he said pointing up again, "definitely know you said something. So there's really no point in acting like you didn't."


"Ok, ok." She held up her hands in surrender. "I'm caught. So what? We can't do anything about it now."


"No, we can't." He agreed. "But you better hope that you didn't screw up the timelines or anything. Everything has to happen on its own and at certain times."


"I'm sure it'll be fine. They prob'ly didn't catch it, what with being in shock and all." She stated hoping to calm him but also knowing it was a lie. They were talking about a curious Scooby and a very nosey vampire after all. It wasn't gonna be forgotten. But that's why she'd said it. She didn't want them to grieve needlessly, it was wrong. They deserved to know that she would be back so that they wouldn't torture themselves or be sad for no reason. So she'd let a little something slip. Hoping Wills and Spike would remember it and assemble the research cavalry. Then Spike wouldn't have to feel guilty and the others could all stop being so moody and broody. And Dawnie would know that she wasn't gonna be alone.


Joyce looked at her daughter, knowing that everything she'd said had been on purpose, and shook her head. She turned to Whistler, "Maybe she's right Whistler. Maybe nothing at all will come of it."


"You people can think I'm an idiot all you want, but I'm really not. I know what's going on here. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite you in the ass later."


"It'll be fine." Buffy repeated. "They prob'ly won't even remember."


_________________________________________________


Sunnydale- (Summers' Residence- Master Bedroom)


Willow and Spike both came to with a sharp intake of breath. The vampire bolted straight up in the bed, while the red head sat panting. They both had tears streaming down their faces, but not from sadness. Their conversation with the two eldest Summers had given them hope. Spike no longer felt guilty and Willow was no longer upset at the thought of never seeing her best friend again. Neither of them was sure whether or not Buffy's slip had been for their benefit or purely a mistake, but they were grateful for it none the less, and had absolutely no question whatsoever concerning it's meaning. She would be back.


"You...You heard w-what she said too, right?" Willow asked still trying to catch her breath.


Spike swallowed hard and nodded.


She unfolded her legs and made to get up, "Well, we gotta tell Giles. Make with the research."


He nodded again still unable to speak.


When Willow finally made it to her feet she had to catch herself quickly to avoid falling having gotten up to fast after doing magicks. "Whoaa boyy."


Spike turned to her in concern, "Y'alright there Red?"


She nodded slowly, standing with more caution, "Yeah. Fine. Just a little dizzy spell from the...well, spell."


He was back to nodding, but he did swing his legs around to join Willow standing.


"Guess we better make our way down there. Everyone will wanna know you're back and with the walkin' and talkin'." She commented as she moved towards the door.


Spike made to follow her but hesitated right before exiting. He didn't want to face the accusing glares. But then he remembered the conversation that took place earlier and straightened his shoulders following the young woman down the stairs.


Buffy didn't blame him.


And she was coming back.

_________________________________________________


Sunnydale- (Summers' Residence-Living room)


The conversation had been minimal, at best, in the room as the assembled all waited for Willow to wake Spike up. After the heated discussion between Giles, Angel and Cordelia no one really had the desire to start a conversation. There weren't many possibilities remaining for polite conversation between the two groups. Everyone had changed so much and new people had been added to the respective cliques, so the word uncomfortable was on the frontline in everyone's mind.


So there'd hardly been any words spoken since Dawn and Tara had come down the stairs. When the girls had brought in the sandwiches and tea there had been a little bustle, but nothing significant. The sandwiches were hardly touched, Xander and the shy girl, Fred, being the main benefactors from them. Giles, Wesley and Tara helped themselves to a cuppa tea and everyone sat in total silence.


That is until the moment that Willow and Spike made their way into the room. Dawn let out an inhuman screech capable of rendering the two vampires present deaf, and launched herself into Spike's arms. All members of the Scooby gang stood at that moment while the L.A. gang watched them with curiosity. Or complete lack thereof in Cordelia's case.


Tara gave Willow a congratulatory hug while Giles patted her on the back commenting on a job well done. As always. Xander whacked Spike on the back, "Well Princess Catatonia, nice of you to join us."


"Can it Harris." Spike retorted but his growl could barely be considered one.


Anya patted his shoulder awkwardly, "I'm very glad you're not a vegetable anymore. Now the Poof and his strange people can leave and we can get over the uncomfortable-ness we've all experienced today." All of the friends standing chuckled at her abruptness.


"Well thank you Anyanka. 'S nice to know I was missed." Spike responded, gracing her with a genuine smile that was rarely seen on his face.


She nodded once and reclaimed her position on the arm of the chair with a smile, "You're quite welcome."


Giles spoke up then, ever the responsible one, "I assume everything is all settled then?" He asked looking to Willow and then Spike.


"Yup." Willow answered popping the 'p'. "Everything's all gravy in Taterville."


"Very good." Giles responded with a smile.


Dawn, who had yet to release her hold of the vamp, finally pulled back and smacked him on the arm, "You big dummy! Don't do that again."


Spike graced her with a look full of shame, "Sorry Bit. Wasn't thinkin'."


"Darn skippy you weren't." She smiled teasingly at him, "But then again, you never were very good at the whole thinking things through concept were ya?"


"You bite your tongue Bite Size." His only answer was a cheeky grin that he couldn't help but smile at. He raised his head as if only just realizing there were others in the room. He rolled his eyes when they landed on Angel. "Don't you have someone else you can glare at somewhere that's not here Peaches?"


The glare Angel was sporting only increased in intensity when his Grand-Childe spoke. "Don't you have some place else you can go to that isn't here, period, Captain Peroxide?"


Spike seemed to consider this, "Nope, got nothin' needs doin'. 'M just fine here, thanks."


The two stared each other down until finally the brunette growled and rose from the chair, "It's time to go."


Spike couldn't help the smirk that appeared on his face as his Grand-Sire stood and the other members of Angel Investigations rose from their positions also. He quickly lost the smirk and took on a look reminiscent of genuine offense, "Oh no, don't go rushin' into the sunset yet. Let's have us a sit down and chat, Pappy. Catch up, make nicey nice and bond."


Angel looked at him as if he was crazy, but Cordelia responded to Spike before he had the chance to, "Yeah, that's something that'll be happening in, never."


"Ah, she wounds me. Honestly wounds me."


"Shut up Spike." Angel said through clenched teeth making his way to the front door, his followers doing what they do...following. "Can't say it's been fun but we gotta get back."


The group of Sunnydale residents made no protests, secretly thankful in their own way for the other group's departure. The past few days were stressful enough without the added bonus of the visit. "Well Fairy Poppins, how 'bout let's do this never, never ever, never again, eh?" Spike couldn't resist the final jab at his Grand-Sire, causing Xander and Dawn to laugh outright and everyone else to hide a smile. Even the barest smidgeon could be seen on the faces of Angel's friends, but they quickly disappeared to show their solidarity.


Angel turned around abruptly to face Spike again, ready to lunge. "You know what..?" But he was stopped in movement, and cut off in words, by Wesley and Gunn each grabbing and arm and Cordelia stepping directly in front of him with a hand against his chest.


"Whoa there Sparky... Let's cool down for a sec. He's soo not worth getting tackled." She jerked her right thumb over her shoulder indicating the people behind them. "'Cause as much as he deserves a good ass whoopin', I have a feeling that every single one of Buffy's friends will jump you to keep their Spikey safe from the big bad vampire."


"'Ey! Don't need protectin' I'll have you know!" Spike protested.


Cordelia turned to face him with a look clearly saying that she thought he was crazy, "Please! Angel could whip you from here to Peoria."


He snorted derisively, "Yeah, and next you'll tell me that your new 'do' was intentional."


The former cheerleader's hands flew to her head, "Wha..?" She scowled at him, "Ooh, you're askin' for it Buster Blonde." She made a move to lunge in his direction until Wes and Gunn placed their now available hands on her arms restrainingly. "Lemme at 'im you twerps!"


Spike spoke to Xander amused, "You dated her Whelp? She's right scary mate."


"You're not sayin' anything not already known and proved."


Cordelia wrenched herself from the men's grasps violently, turned around and stormed towards the door, "Move people! If I have to stay here one more microsecond I'll be damage bound for sure." Spike smiled smugly as he watched them make their way out of the door.


No one made the move to see them out, so Tara took it upon herself to be the polite one. She moved to the door and held it open for them, "T-thanks for c-coming. "


"Yeah." Spike agreed. "Lovely time had by all I'm sure. Later gits!" He bid farewell with a smile.


Xander looked at Spike with admiration in his eyes, something the blonde wasn't sure he could cope with. "Spike, my man, your daring peskapades are legendary. You must impart knowledge."


Spike shook his head from side to side, "That, mere mortal, took years to perfect. And those I've had plenty of. Years and years of storing personal jabs, just waiting for the opportune time." He shrugged, "And besides, he might as well wear a big ole bull's eye, as easy as he makes it." He added referring to Angel.


Giles removed his glasses from his face and pinched the bridge of his nose, "Spike, you're absolutely incorrigible."


Spike smiled and slapped the older man on the back in companionship, "Thanks Rupes. Knew you loved me."


"So...I guess I'll be the one to ask the question burning the inside of all our mouths." Xander spoke up again. "What's with the sudden mood changeyness? You two are both smiling and while I, myself, find insulting Angel extremely entertaining, yours are both smiles of a different color."


Willow and Spike shared a knowing look and he nodded almost imperceptibly to the witch. She turned to Giles and Dawn, "We have news guys." She said excitedly. "News of the kind that's very large and very exciting."


"Really?" Giles asked intrigued. "How, precisely, did you come upon anything that would warrant excitement in this situation?"


"We had us a nice little visit with two very important ladies." Spike replied.


Dawn turned to him with wide eyes and tears forming, "Mom and Buffy?" He nodded. "Really?"


"Yup. We had ourselves a right nice chat, Bit." He put his arm around her shoulders, "And they said to tell you that they love you." She gave him a watery smile in response.


"So...news?" Xander prompted.


"Yes." Anya agreed. "You've got me all curious now even if I don't wanna be."


A conspiratorial grin appeared on Willow's face, "Let's just say that I don't think we've seen the last of our favorite Slayer."


"Huh? What?" Was Xander's confused outburst.


"Good Lord." From the Watcher.


"Really?!" Was Dawn's hopeful question.


"Wow," came from Tara.


Anya simply sat and voiced a quiet, "Hm."


"How do you know this Willow?" Giles asked urgently. "What happened?"


Willow suddenly became nervous as a result of his intense stare. Spike answered for her, "Was something the Slayer said. Coulda been a slip up though. She may not've meant to say it out loud." He was trying his best not to let his hopes get to high, but he couldn't help but listen to the small niggling voice in the back of his head. Couldn't help the huge wave of anticipation he felt every time he thought about it.


Willow swiveled her head in his direction, "No. I think she meant to say it. She wanted us to know." She didn't care what anyone said. She was taking what Buffy had said literally. There was no doubt in her mind that he best friend would be back among them soon.


"It's highly understandable if she did. She wouldn't want us mourning her needlessly." Giles supplied.


Willow nodded, "That's what we figured too."


Giles began pacing in front of the fireplace, "Alright. Willow, Spike, you must start from the beginning. What was said, in its entirety?" He looked to Tara, "Tara, would you mind terribly..?" He trailed off motioning to a legal pad and pencil on the desk behind her.


"Sure." The shy Wiccan answered quietly before retrieving the notepad and pencil and taking a seat in the chair waiting for her girlfriend to begin her narrative.


Everyone took a seat as Willow began speaking animatedly, "Ok, so, Spike had me popping all over the place and..."


__________________________________________________

Sunnydale-


The weeks following Willow and Spike's revelation were spent with the group's noses buried in books searching for anything and everything that made mention of a Slayer dying and coming back. They tried to continue on with life as normally as possible, but it was difficult with the unknown hanging over their heads. Anya ran the Magic Box, Xander worked his new construction gig, Dawn was taking two summer classes to make up for having missed so much school during the Glory fiasco, and Tara, Willow and Giles busied themselves with the many old tomes the Magic Box housed. And Spike, well, when he wasn't caring for Dawn and patrolling he was standing over anyone researching, waiting very impatiently for them to find something, anything, concerning his Slayer. He knew she was coming back, but the thought lost some of its value the longer she was gone. It was driving him absolutely barmy not knowing what was going to happen and when.


On this particular day, Giles was found sitting at the table in the Magic Box avidly reading from one of the many dusty old archives while everyone else was placed throughout the shop. Anya was at her constant perch behind the counter, counting the money, Willow and Tara were both seated at the table across from Giles huddled together talking softly, Xander was sprawled out in a chair pushed away from the table a little. He had an open book in his lap alternating between dozing off and trying to read, or at least pretending to read. Dawn was occupying a few of the stairs that led to the 'Restricted' section eagerly searching through three books at one time. She'd finally convinced everyone, namely Giles and Tara that she could be useful in the search for the prophecy seeing as they needed all the help they could get, so she was more enthusiastic about the task than the others. And understandably so as they'd been doing this for years and none of them, save Giles, actually relished the idea of all night research parties.


Then there was Spike, who was currently in the training room, having been almost forcibly relocated there by the other members of the group when his pacing and 'hmph'-ing had become too much for them to handle. He'd been trying to distract himself with pummeling the punching bag, but he found that only worked for short periods of time. Every once in a while when he couldn't find anything to take his mind off of the goings on in the next room, he would use his enhanced vampire abilities, also known as sneaking or lurking, to quietly enter the main room just to see if he could catch anything that might be interesting. He'd already consumed an entire pack of cigarettes since just that morning, and it was now just before sunset. Inhaling the remainder of the last cigarette he decided to just give up all pretenses and just head back in to join the others.


As Spike entered into the room there was a collective eye roll and the rising of hackles. The whole hackles thing was in no way shape or form caused by fear of the Master vampire. They just knew that with him back in the room there would be a constant shadow over them as he performed the ritual of hovering.


Said vampire was currently doing said hovering while throwing in a bit of huffing and puffing for good measure. Pacing behind the three occupants of the round table he asked, "Haven't you tossers found anything yet?"


Willow glared over her shoulder at the nervous ball of energy, Tara hid a small smile while continuing to look at the book in front of her and Giles removed his glasses with an exasperated sigh, "Spike has it occurred to you that this might go even quicker if you were to contribute a bit to the cause? Make yourself useful possibly? Your looming and abuse of inanimate objects is in no way conducive to discovering what may or may not happen to Buffy. Nor is it conducive to us being aware of what we're facing, in advance" He began wiping his glasses, "You feel obliged to harp on us and distract us. Why don't you crack open a book and put that much neglected brain of yours to work?"


Spike had no response to that so he opted for glaring. Truth was, that was one area in which he and his Slayer shared the same feelings. He wasn't research guy, he was action guy. That's why most of his plans were foiled. He got tired of waiting, grew bored with the monotony, and impatient with the time spent doing nothing. He circled around the table, peering over the occasional shoulder and driving people crazy in general. They all tried as hard as possible to ignore his presence all together and continued reading. He ended up plopping bonelessly into one of the chairs only to surge back to his feet, not ten seconds later, after having glanced out the window and noticed it was safe for flammables to go out.


"'M goin' patrollin'." He declared marching to the door.


There were several appreciative murmurs and one distinct, "Oh, thank Goddess," from Willow. She wasn't scared of him anymore by any means, but with the hovering, peering, standing and annoying noises coming from him, he made her twitchy. If he was gone then maybe she'd be able to concentrate better.


________________________________________


Summerland-


The days in 'Summerland' went by much in the same way the weeks in Sunnydale had. Uneventful. But that was to be expected since Buffy, Joyce and Whistler was its only inhabitants. Whistler had 'created' a small cabin for them to reside in until it was time for Buffy to go back. It had two bedrooms so Whistler took one and Joyce and Buffy shared the other. The messenger had also stocked the kitchen completely, which was a good because apparently Buffy had retained all of her human traits, even here. She still needed to eat, sleep, rid herself of waste, etc.


Buffy spent the time that passed watching 'SunnyDtv' and chatting with Joyce. She was bored out of her mind but she was enjoying the fact that she was able to spend this time with her mother. Now, having to remain exposed to Whistler all the time was a different story. She didn't understand why the Powers were having him stay there with her and Joyce when there was not much of anything else that he could do or say that would be in any way helpful. He'd already told her everything he was able to, and yet she still knew nothing. It was almost as if he were her babysitter and it was really starting to bug her. It wasn't that she felt threatened by him, or even really watched or kept, what bothered her most is that he was just there. He'd shed what little light possible on her situation, given the occassional pep talk, even discussed the happenings in Sunnydale, but after that? Nothing. A big fat nothingness. He watched the 'tv' with them, even running a commentary sometimes. They found themselves to be extremely entertained by acting like the little strange men on 'Mystery Science Theatre 3000'. Turning the volume down, which actually consisted of Buffy simply thinking to herself 'MUTE', they would sit and run some of the most hilarious commentary. They found Xander and Anya's conversations to be the most enjoyable. They could just imagine the bits of hilarity coming from the young man's mouth followed by the bluntly, literal comments from Anya. But other than that? He just did...nothing.


Not that there was much to do as she'd mentioned before, but since that was the case, why wouldn't the Powers let him leave? Why did he have to stay and watch them? Buffy would catch him, at times, just watching her as she watched TV like he was more interested in what she was thinking than what was actually showing on screen. The two women were currently sitting sideways on the couch, with their backs against the arms, facing each other. Whistler had conjured up a deck of cards for them, and they'd been playing Rummy for the last hour with the TV playing in the background.


Buffy cast a surreptitious glance at the screen and saw all of her friends scattered throughout the Magic Box, various books and pages spread out in front of them. They had yet to make any progress in locating a prophecy concerning her, but in a way she was glad for that. Now it was out in the open and blatantly obvious that she'd tipped them off. Yes, yes, that was old news, but now it was different. She knew before that they knew; now she knew that they knew. Totally different ballgame. Knowing something was the truth wasn't the same as saying the words out loud. She was aware that she never should've told Willow and Spike anything, but she just wouldn't have been able to continue knowing they suffered when they needn't.


She was unable to hold back the smile that broke across her face at the sight. Giles doing what he does best, Willow and Tara working in tandem without realizing it, Xander snoozin' in his chair, Anya doing what she does best, and Dawn...


Buffy sat her cards down and turned towards the TV more fully. What was Dawn doing? Oh my... "Oh my God!"


"What?" Joyce and Whistler asked in sync.


"Why are they letting my little sister research? That's insane! She's not supposed to see that stuff."


The other two looked to the TV at this time and noticed Dawn sitting on the steps reading. Whistler shrugged, "So what?"


She whipped around to face him, "What do you mean so what? She's too young! That's what."


Her mother sat her cards down also, "Honey, she's fifteen. If I remember correctly, that's how old you were when you were Chosen."


"Well, yeah, but that's totally different and soo beside the point. I didn't have a choice, she does. She shouldn't have to do these things if she doesn't need to." Buffy couldn't understand how her mother was being so blasé about this. "There should be no blasé." She muttered to herself.


"What did you say Buffy?" Joyce asked.


"Nothing." She grumbled. "Just don't see how you can act like this isn't the huge monster deal it is. She's too young to have to deal with that crap. She deserves to have a normal teenage life."


"What, with the big sister that's the greatest Slayer ever, the big fights every week and the getting kidnapped every third Tuesday, mixed in with being an ancient, green, glowing, mystical, and who knows what else, key. A key that, as it happens, has opened a dimension or two in its day." He rolled his eyes and scoffed, "Yeah, that's a great kick off to the land of normal."


"I'm the greatest Slayer? Ever? That is so cool."


"Let's not get carried away here toots. I probably spoke too soon anyway. And did you miss the part where I said, 'ancient, green, glowing, mystical, who knows what else, key'?"


"No. I didn't miss it. I just heard 'best Slayer ever' and went kinda glowy myself." She answered with a cheeky smile that quickly turned serious again. "And she's not the key anymore. The god of skank is gone. I jumped to close the portal so the key wouldn't have to be used. So now it should be over. She should be all non-key-y and lockless."


Whistler simply shook his head and turned back to the TV and muttering, "Ok kid. If you say so."


Buffy squinted her eyes and the small man, "What's that supposed to mean?" she asked in a menacing tone.


But Joyce intervened before things became violent once again. She never knew Buffy was like this. Sure, she knew she was the Slayer and that she was stronger and everything. But, she made no qualms about using a bit of violence every once in a while, even when it wasn't required. Not to mention that fact that Joyce knew exactly what Whistler meant and that Buffy couldn't know yet. "Buffy, she'll be fine. I'm sure Mr. Giles wouldn't let her otherwise. And between Tara and Spike, well I don't think we have to worry about her. They're all taking care of her, she'll be fine."


Her daughter turned to her with a question in her eyes, "I don't see how you can act all nonchalant about this mom. You're the main one to baby her."


"Yes I know. But things are different now. I know things I didn't know before. And I know things are fine. So stop worrying." Was her cryptic reply.


Buffy still wasn't convinced, but chose to keep her mouth shut for a time. She turned back to the screen and noticed that Spike had rejoined the group to glower. She watched as her friends rolled their eyes and heard what Giles said, but noticed it was all out of friendly irritation and good humor. They really didn't mind him being there anymore, they just accepted his presence the way they would've if he'd never tried to kill them. It was actually rather amusing to watch the interaction.


Buffy watched as he sat down in the chair only to get back up almost immediately, announcing that he was going to patrol. She wasn't really sure why he was doing it. He didn't have to, it's not like it was his job or calling or, anything really. He'll prob'ly just want to get his daily helping of violence. Was her thought as she watched him leave the Magic Box. She turned to look at her mother and Whistler, seeing they were watching her again, and made a decision. She stood from the couch and began making her way to her bedroom. "I think I'm gonna lie down for a bit. All this bein' bored is enough to make a girl tired."


Joyce gave her a small smile, "Okay sweetie, we'll see you later."


Buffy walked into the bedroom and sat down on the edge of the bed. She'd seen Whistler conjure things in the blink of an eye. And when they were watching the TV all she had to do was think hard and she could switch between places or mute it, so she figured she could conjure up her own TV to watch in private. She wanted to watch Spike more closely, wanted to understand why he was acting the way he was, why he was doing things he was doing when he didn't have to. But she couldn't do that with the other two watching her like she was gonna sprout another head, or like they were waiting for her to do something. Half of the time when she was around them she felt like a science experiment they couldn't take their eyes off of. Why they were watching her so closely she couldn't figure, she knew it had to do with this prophecy, but why watch what she's doing here? It's not like there's really much of anything to do anyway. She grumbled.


She closed her eyes and cleared her mind completely trying to prepare herself. She imagined a television set sitting on the edge of the dresser, and after a minute or two she opened her eyes slowly revealing a very tiny; beat up TV with a hanger for an antenna. She pursed her lips and furrowed her brow, "Unh, how come I get a crappy TV? That's no fair." She closed her eyes again, tighter this time, concentrating harder and picturing a smaller version of the TV Whistler had presented to her and her mother. When she reopened her eyes she was rewarded with an exact copy of the set in the living room, only different in size.


Buffy concentrated once more and suddenly Spike appeared on screen, walking through the cemetery. Nothing spectacular was happening, he staked a few fledglings here and there, but nothing more. She watched as he began to slow his gait, hesitantly walking towards something. When she realized where he was her heart seemed to stop in her chest.

____________________________________________


Sunnydale-


Spike was making his way through the various cemeteries in Sunnydale, staking the occasional fledgling, but mainly just strolling along thinking to himself. Before long he came to the clearing he already knew all too well. He wasn't sure how he ended up here; he certainly hadn't meant to come here. He hesitantly moved towards the fresh grave and stood silently staring at the plain headstone with unshed tears brimming in his eyes.


At one point in time, the thought of Drusilla leaving him was his biggest fear. Then when that actually happened, he'd thought that was the worst he'd ever feel. Falling in love with the Slayer had proved him wrong. Aside from the hardship of loving her in the first place and trying to deal with that, he'd lost her before he'd even had her. She jumped off of that tower before she ever got to see the real him.


Of course he knew she was coming back. But that didn't change the fact that he had no clue what their relationship would be like when she returned. It could be one consisting of mere tolerance, or it could be one fueled by disgust, or, and this is what he was hoping for, it could be one to grow and evolve into something much more passionate and special and long lasting than anything either of them had experienced.


But that was the question: who knew? He had no way of knowing if she would hate him or not, and that scared him gormless. And who was to say that his newfound camaraderie with the Scoobies would remain so when she returned? They wouldn't need him anymore; they'd have their muscle back, so he wouldn't have to patrol with them or for them. They wouldn't invite him for movie night because their real friend was back, so the substitute wouldn't be needed. There would be no more games of pool between the Whelp and himself at the Bronze. No more compassionate, half smiles from Red's girl, no more nostalgic reminiscing of the past with Demon Girl, no more amusing babble from Red, no more late night debates on 'The Who' versus the 'Stones' with Rupes. And worst of all, he'd see less of his Bit as he wouldn't be needed in the area of her care anymore. Her big sis would be back to take care of her so his duty would be completed. The Watcher and Buffy would take over that job, with Glenda there giving her maternally instinctual assistance when needed.


So he was highly unsure of the effects the Slayer's return would have on his standings with the Scoobies and what it might mean in regards to his long standing position in Sunnyhell.


Spike lowered himself to the ground, lying parallel, and his head at the head of her grave. Settling on his back with his hands behind his head, gazing up at the stars as he contemplated his future.


"Hello luv." He spoke in a soft voice after a few moments of silence. Acting as if Buffy were there lying beside him he continued, "Patience in't 'xactly a virtue of mine. But I'm sure you figured that out, what with bein' able to kick my arse every time I tried somethin' stupid just 'cause I couldn't wait anymore." He chuckled a bit as he remembered Parent/Teacher night at Buffy's High School. A shining example of his impatience and what could happen if he were to get bored. He cleared his throat as he grew somber again, "So that means you gotta get back 'ere soon. I dunno how much more o'this waitin' I can take. Dunno what's gonna happen once you're back to the land of the livin'. And it's killin' me havin' to wait and find out." Spike removed his hands from behind his head and felt in the pockets of his duster for his cigarettes. Finally discovering the partially crushed pack and his lighter he lit up and exhaled a large plume of smoke into the air. Silence descended again as he watched the play of moonlight through the smoke. He inhaled once more, blowing the smoke through his nostrils as he breathed loudly before speaking again, "Hope you don't mind me hangin' round once you're back pet. 'M not positive I could leave. Not after everything. Doesn't matter that there's only a snowball's chance in hell that you'll fancy me, even a lil'bit, much less want me around, I still don't think I could leave you. That's one thing that those other gits and I don't have in common. I'm not a leaver." He sucked in the last of his cigarette, then snuffed it out placing the butt in his pocket not wanting to mess Buffy's grave site, even if it wasn't permanent. "Those tossers can't even begin to understand how good they had it when they had you. Maybe I'm just selfish, not willing to give you up if I ever got you. Maybe they are the better men by trying to let you have a normal life. But I don't care. I'd rather be selfish with you by my side even if we're fightin', than selfless all alone and miserable." He sat up and spun on his rear so that he was facing the recently disturbed ground, the light from the moon making the tears coursing down his face glitter with it's reflection. "How much longer do I have to live in a world that doesn't have you in it luv?" He sobbed out finally breaking down holding his head in his hands.


_______________________________________


Summerland- (Cabin bedroom)


Buffy sat watching the scene intently, with her own tears falling unheeded down her face. She wasn't sure how she was feeling about the situation. She knew that she shouldn't care in the slightest, but that didn't mean she didn't care. She really shouldn't, but she did. She couldn't deny to herself the fact that, at that moment, what she wanted more than anything was to go down there, put her arms around Spike, and tell him the wait was over. The time she spent waiting to return was in no way comparable to the time Spike spent waiting, but nonetheless, it was killing her too. Being the Slayer and an active young woman, she wasn't much for making with the idleness. She was enjoying her time here with her mother yes, but she was hoping she would get to go back soon before she grew weary from boredom. There weren't exactly a lot of things to do in Summerland, aside from watching 'SunnyDTV', playing cards, and walking through the meadow or by the stream. She hated knowing that she would soon be fighting and saving the world again, but at the same time she couldn't wait to get back and do exactly that.


She also wanted to delve into the origins of these new developments concerning Spike. If someone had told her this time last year that she would come to care about the British menace, let alone have deep 'feelings' to investigate, she would've told them they were crazy. Yet, here she was sneaking into the bedroom so she could observe him away from prying eyes; here she was sitting on the bed wishing she could enclose him in her arms and hold on tight. "And again with the 'where the heck did that come from?'" she muttered to herself. She felt this unavoidable connection with him. She was drawn to him in some inexplicable way. And it seemed to only grow stronger and stronger the more time she spent here and the more she watched his day to day activities.


Like, the way he cared for Dawn; that absolutely astounded her. He did it out of total selflessness, because he loved Buffy, therefore, he in turn cared about everyone she did. He didn't have to, but he did. The fact that he stayed in Sunnydale and helped fight every night put a big ol' check mark in the 'Pro's' section. Written in red and underlined twice. He stayed! She was dead and he wouldn't leave. Hell, when she was alive she had a hard time getting men to stay in her life. But not this one. Spike was most definitely special. No matter what she'd ever done to him, or what they'd been through, she couldn't ever seem to get rid of him. And now she wasn't certain that she wanted to.


_______________________________________


Summerland- (Cabin living room)


As soon as Buffy had left the living room Joyce and Whistler shared a conspiratorial look with each other, and then glanced back to the screen as they saw Spike walking through one of the cemeteries in Sunnydale. Whistler concentrated for a second and the screen split down the middle, with the scenes playing out in Sunnydale on one side, and the goings on in the other room on the other. They watched as Buffy concentrated and conjured up her own TV, only to produce a beat up 'yard sale' TV. Both occupants of the living room chuckled a bit at the pout the Slayer was sporting until she conjured a satisfactory set.


They were both riveted to the screen as they watched Spike end up at Buffy's graveside and the monologue that followed, but they were also focusing quite a bit on Buffy and her reactions to Spike's words. Joyce was the first to spot Buffy's tears, after all, this was her daughter, and she should be in tune with all that. Whistler noticed shortly after her, and then glancing one last time at the two supernatural beings in the TV he spoke to Joyce.


"I think she might be ready now." He said turning his head so that he could see both the TV and Joyce out of the corner of his eyes. "You?"


The Slayer's mother nodded in agreement looking at her daughter and favorite vampire on the screen. "I think they're both more than ready."


Whistler scoffed a bit and then sat back into the couch, "Yeh, not very patient. Either one of 'em. Huh?"


"No, they're really not." Joyce sat back into the couch also as she answered him. "And that is only one of many reasons I believe this will work."


The short demon turned to face Joyce, pushing his head back into the cushions and cocking it to the side. "Well, let's hope it works. We don't know anything specific about these prophecies. And that's not makin' the big guys happy at all. They feel their supposed to know everything, the 'Be all-Know all', when it comes to the Slayer and her destiny." He turned back and faced the screen and observed Spike finishing up his 'talk' with Buffy and observed Buffy sitting on the edge of her bed, her arms hugging herself tightly and tears tracking down her face. "These two hit us outta nowhere. Gotta say, I didn't even expect it. But something triggered this whole thing, and until we know what the outcome is gonna be, I'm a bit worried. So, I'll say it again, I really, really, hope this works."


Joyce simply crossed her arms with her eyes still glued to the TV, "It will. I've no doubt about it."


Whistler looked at her sideways for a few seconds before turning back to watch the two blondes himself, wishing that he felt as confident as Joyce did.


_______________________________________

Summerland- (Cabin bedroom)


Buffy wasn't sure when she'd fallen asleep. Mainly because she hadn't known she was asleep. That is, until the knock at the door awakened her. She groaned a bit as she stretched out from the tight ball she'd somehow fallen asleep in, despite the fact that she'd remained in an upright position. The last thing she remembered was watching Spike as he simply lay there and looked at the stars, only speaking every once in a while, and always to her as if she were right beside him. She looked in the direction of the dresser and noticed that the TV had vanished. Figuring it must have happened when she'd fallen asleep, she shrugged her shoulders and rose stiffly from her position on the bed, slowly making her way to the door.


When she opened the door, she was met with Whistler showing off a very rare, bright smile. She glared at him as he spoke, "'Mornin' there sunshine."


She rolled her eyes making a disgusted sound and turned back to crawl onto the bed. She roughly dropped to the mattress, and spoke. Even with her face buried in a pillow and muffled voice, Whistler could still detect the annoyance. "Whad'ya want?"


"Hey hey! No need'n gettin' all huffy. Just puttin' on the happy face for the clientele is all." Whistler answered as he sauntered into the room fully.


Buffy rolled onto her back and looked up at the ceiling, questioningly. "I'm a client?" She rose up on her elbows and eyed Whistler, "Don't clients usually benefit in some way? Or get some sort of reciprocation or compensation? Or some sort of something?"


Whistler took his hat off and held it out in front of himself rocking back and forth on his heels, he whislted impressed. "Impressive kid. Such big words from someone who adds 'y' to the end of a word when she can't think of the actual word she should be saying."


"Hey!" She protested. "I can be all brain-y when needed." Whistler simply gave her a look saying 'see?' and she glared at him repeating her initial question. "What do you want?"


"What were ya doin' in here so long?" He asked curiously, walking around the room and taking in the Spartan furnishings.


Buffy perked up at his question, taking in her own circuit of the room she made sure that the TV hadn't magically reappeared with her waking. "What? Nothing. Doing lots of absolutely nothing." She gestured with her arm to the room, "What's there to do in a room full of air?" She cocked her head to the side, thinking for a second, "Well, other than breathe anyway."


"You had nothing to do in here? Nothing at all? Not even catch up on your favorite show?" He leaned up against the dresser and clasped his hands together in front of himself.


"What? I don't know what..." She sputtered and off of the look Whistler gave her she faltered, "How did you..? I didn't... Oh! You are such an ass!"


He gestured with his hand as if dismissing the rest of that conversation, "No matter. You figure you're 'bout ready to be gettin' back?" He glanced out the window disdainfully, "I'm personally sick of bein' here."


"You mean now?" She sat ramrod straight in the bed, all signs of sleeping totally gone. "Are you sure it's time?" She looked at him worried, "What are they gonna say? They're gonna totally wig. They'll think I'm a zombie or something."


Whistler scoffed, "Yeah, I'm sure after your little talk that they'll be completely shocked."


Buffy's shoulders slumped in defeat, "Okay, so, they won't think I'm a zombie. It'll still be weird though."


"Well of course it's gonna be weird. You died. You're gonna be not dead anymore. When wouldn't that be weird?" He asked incredulously.


"And okay, it's bound to be weird anytime. But...it's just...gonna be...weird. I can't think of a better word."


"So add a 'y' to something." Whistler commented off handedly. He turned back to Buffy, "so...you ready or not? 'Cuz, immortal or not, I can't take much more."


"Yeah, I'm ready. Just scared. Don't know how it's gonna be when I get back. They've been living their own lives while I've been gone. I'm gonna be the one having to fit in now, instead of everyone fitting to me." She pouted.


He looked up to the ceiling with a glare, "See? This is what I can't take much more of. She's whining 'cuz she might have to accommodate others instead of them accommodating her. She's a brat. Can't I just send her no matter what she says?"


"Excuse me! She is sitting right exactly here. And she said she was ready. So send her back."


Whistler stood up straight, coming off of leaning against the dresser, "Fine! I will. Go visit with your mom for a bit, I don't wanna hear her whining later. You're definitely cut from her cloth, lemme tell ya."


Buffy jumped off of the bed excitedly and ran towards Whistler, almost hugging him, until she remembered who he was. She made a face and shaking her head, turned and ran into the living room to talk with her mother.




tbc...
CHAPTER FIVE by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Reviews are fabulous! You make my muse hop up and do a happy jig. HUGE, mondo thanks to Stephi for this chappie. You, sista, are the bomb-diggity! LOL
Sunnydale- (Buffy's grave)


When Spike had run out of tears for the time being, he settled on his back with his head at the grave marker. He brought his arms up behind his head and just stared at the sky for what seemed like hours. He didn't say much of anything. He felt he'd shared more than his, well...share, earlier. Or at least more than what any normal soulless vampire would share. As if any other prat of a vampire is enough of a Wally to have anything to share where the Slayer is concerned. 'Cept her death o'course.


Of course there was Angel, his Grand-Sire and least favorite person, or un-person as it were, on this planet and any other. Xander was pretty high up on his list of least favorites, but Angel had everyone and everything beat by centuries. "Peaches never really was the sharing type anyway, so...he doesn't count. 'Cuz he doesn't share, so there would be no sharing where you're concerned." He spoke aloud as if Buffy could actually hear him. Knowing that was impossible didn't stop him from continuing on. "Then there's me. Y'ruined me up right proper, luv. 'll never be my own vamp again, let alone a normal vamp." He pictured Buffy and her determination, her strength, her humanity, her beauty, her life. He'd been looking for something effulgent all those years ago, when a contrite, snooty Cecily caused his life to take a dramatic turn. Dru had seen it in him; she'd known what he was looking for. That's what first intrigued him about the dark beauty. She seemed to understand what he wanted, what his desires were, in the scant moments she'd seen him. Oh, how he'd longed to have someone understand him, even his Mother hadn't completely, but only because he hadn't allowed her to see everything hidden in his soul. But Dru seemed to see that, she made him believe that she could give that to him.


In a way, he guessed maybe she had, in fact, given him what he'd longed for. If he had never run into that alley and met Drusilla, he never would've met Buffy. The Slayer. HIS Buffy. HIS Slayer. He knew she'd likely pop him a good one for laying claim to her, but what she didn't know wouldn't hurt her. Or him. And with that in mind, he reasoned that he was safe to call her his for now. Once again he had visions of Buffy dancing through his head, and knew for a fact that Dru had, most definitely, led him down the path he needed to travel so he would someday get what he wanted and end up by his Slayer's side. He'd always figured that his search for something effulgent had ended when he was turned, but that view changed the second he realized he was in love with Buffy. She was just a small slip of a girl, but she had it in her to turn an evil master vampire completely love struck. And that's what he was, even now that she was gone. The fact that he knew she was coming back to him let a vamp dream will ya? sometime soon certainly didn't put a hindrance on any feelings, but even before he'd known she was returning, his love had been as strong as ever.


"Ya know, I dunno how long you were plannin' on stayin' up there luv, but Nibblet misses you somethin' fierce. Not to mention your mates and the watcher." Spike's voice sounded out through the silent cemetery again. "Or me." He added in a softer tone. "But you already knew that, yeah?" He chuckled and brought his right arm around reaching into his duster pocket for another cigarette. After he lit it and inhaled he blew the smoke out through his nose and continued. "Nibblet's takin' two classes to make up for missin' so much when the god of trailers made her appearance. Seems to be doin' goon in 'em. Me and the witches've been helpin' her s'much as possible. I usually take on English and History. But I guess that'd be obvious. Red and Glenda take on the maths and science." He was silent again as he finished his cigarette. He repeated the gesture from earlier and placed the extinguished butt in his pocket, then in a swirl of leather was up off the ground with vampire speed. He turned and faced the headstone one last time, and wiping off dirt only he could see, he said his goodbyes. "A'right pet, I'm waitin' on ya, but you know I'm not one for patience, so hurry it up, yeah?" He rubbed his hands together and placed them in his duster pockets, taking a step back from the grave. "'ll just be off to Willy's for any liquid that might hold numbing qualities. 'll see you soon love."


And with that Spike turned and made his way out the clearing and then the cemetery, headed directly for Willy's. He hoped to be completely off his face by the time he made it back to the Summers' basement, since he wasn't exactly in the mood to have vivid dreams of his Slayer all night.


_______________________________________________


Summerland-


Buffy and Joyce were currently huddled together on the couch speaking in soft tones, and saying what Whistler assumed to be their final goodbyes. There were tears and chuckles and more tears, but both women had remained surprisingly composed. He wasn't exactly relishing having to break up their heartfelt moment, but time was most definitely of the essence right now. Mere minutes here were hours in Sunnydale, and the longer it took Buffy to finish up here, the more time passed down there. He hadn't been lying when he said that the timeline was important. Everything had to happen a certain way and at a certain time, or who knew what would happen. He also hadn't been lying when he'd said that the Powers were thrown by the discovery of this prophecy, and they weren't exactly the types of beings that liked being kept in the dark. Especially when it was concerning the Chosen One. Slayers and Champions were their business and they weren't happy when they weren't kept in the loop. There was apparently a reason for it to have been kept hidden for so long, Whistler just hoped the higher, Higher Powers knew what they were doing here. No one knew when and where everything had to happen but his bosses had pressed heavily on the time issue.


So, that meant he was the unlucky candidate for breaking up the party. "Alright ladies; time's a ticking away in the way that time will." Buffy looked up from the huddle and glared at the small demon, while Joyce looked up with sad eyes. Whistler held his hands up in surrender, "Sorry, it's not like I enjoy being the bearer of bad news, but you're needed somewhere else."


The Slayer gave him one last glare and then turned back to her mother. "I hate that I have to leave you." She pouted.


Joyce ran her fingers through Buffy's hair soothingly, "I know honey, but at least we actually get to say goodbye this time." She had a small smile on her face, which Buffy could tell was forced, and tears forming in her eyes again. "And you've got bigger stuff ahead of you. So stiffen up that upper lip little lady." Chuffing her daughter on the shoulder lightly, she attempted to lighten the situation.


Buffy couldn't help the chuckle that escaped at her mother's words, but she quickly had the pout back in place, "That's not gonna work Mom. I'm not gonna see you again, for like, a really, really long time." With tears in her eyes mirroring her mother's, she pulled her into a tight hug, forgetting for a moment that she had retained all her Slayer powers and that her mother was still, in this place at least, in a mere human's body.


"Sweetie...?" Buffy pulled back slightly and looked at her mother with a question in her eyes. "Ribs."


"Wha'? Oh! Oh God, I'm sorry mom." She pulled back quickly, and completely this time, hugging her arms around herself, fearful of repeating herself.


"It's okay, it's not like it'll leave any permanent damage." Joyce joked.


Buffy looked at her mother skeptically, "You know, you've been taking all of this in really easily. How come you're not wigging over all this?"


The eldest Summers lifted her hand to move a stray hair out of Buffy's face, "Because, like I told you, I know stuff. I know you'll be okay, Dawn's going to be okay, everybody is. So I'm not too worried." Then in a whisper she added, "Plus, I've gotten really good at covering worry, what with my daughter being the Slayer and all."


"I know, it's just even hard for me to understand and accept, so I figured it'd be harder on you, 'cuz you're all mom-ish." She turned to Joyce with a bright smile that seemed out of place for the situation. "But hey, that works out, since you are, you know, a mom."


Joyce chuckled, "Yeah, I guess that does work out, huh?"


On the other side of the room Whistler cleared his throat trying to get their attention back on the matter at hand. When they turned to look at him he gestured with his arm to the Slayer, "Ready?"


"Yeah, yeah. I'm coming." She stood up from the couch pulling her mother with her. "Didn't say I was ready, but I'm coming." She grumbled as she and Joyce made their way towards Whistler.


"Buffy," Her mother admonished, "Stop worrying, it will be fine. You'll be fine."


"Yeah." Whistler chipped in. "It's not like you haven't died before and come back, what's the difference?"


Buffy rolled her eyes at him, "Oh, for like, what, a whole minute? This is just a wee bit of a big difference."


"Pfft." He waved his hands dismissively. "A minute, a couple of weeks, same thing."


"The same...? Are you serious?" She looked at him as if he'd just sprouted an extra head.


He simply ignored her question and clapped his hands, rubbing them together. "So, ready to get this show on the road?"


She in turn ignored his question and turned to Joyce with a pleading look, "Mom, this is gonna be weird."


"We've covered this Buffy. It will be fine. It's not going to be that weird. Your friends deal with weird everyday, and it's not like it's completely unexpected." Joyce chided gently. Buffy made a nasally whiny noise and stomped her foot, but moved closer to Whistler.


"So...how's this happen? Do I just stand here and you 'abracadabra' me back or what?"


"Well, there's this thing where your body is buried." Whistler started hesitantly.


"And...?"


"So... you have to get into your body, and it's buried, so..." He trailed off hoping she would read between the lines. He wasn't looking forward to telling an already agitated Slayer that she would be waking up in her coffin buried under six feet of earth. He noticed Joyce cringe as she awaited the moment her daughter realized what he was saying.


It took a moment to register, but as soon as Buffy understood what Whistler wasn't saying, it was apparent by the look on her face, and the fact that she backed away from the two adults by at least six feet. Where Joyce and Whistler had been expecting to see anger or indignation, what they actually saw was fear. "What? No." She asked in a small, shaken voice whipping her head back and forth abruptly.


"Sorry kid, it's the only way."


"No! There's gotta be another way. Can't you, like, teleport my body, or something? Make it not be in a coffin? 'Cuz, honestly; not loving that part." She said in a panicked rush as she walked towards them again.


"Honey, it'll be okay." Her mother tried to calm her down.


"No! It won't be okay." She said vehemently, shaking off her mother's hand. "This is not okay. It's soo not okay. This isn't even in the same dimension as okay, mom." She turned to her mother with wide eyes, tears ready to fall. "I cannot wake up my coffin. That's like, a BIG fear."


Whistler decided to step in at that moment, "Hey kid, ya know how I said you were gonna be different? Still the Slayer, but not just the Slayer?" At her nod in the affirmative, he went on. "You'll be able to bust through in no time. You're not going back to a weak body. You're gonna be even stronger."


Buffy looked at him like a third head had sprouted, "What!? That's not even the point. It's the whole being traumatized by waking up in my coffin!!"


"Well, at least you won't wake up all alone. Somebody'll be there with you." The messenger tried once more to calm her nerves.


"I won't be alone?" Buffy asked confused. "How's that work then? I'll be waking up in a coffin...that kinda requires ya to be alone."


"Yeah, you'd think so." He answered distractedly. "Tick tock, tick tock." He pointed to his watch and then looked at her pointedly.


Buffy forgot about all the other stuff for a moment and focused on saying goodbye to her mother one more time. "Alright, I guess this is it then." She sniffled a bit, Joyce answering with a twin sniffle. "I'm gonna miss you. I'll tell Dawnie that you love her and that you're fine."


Joyce nodded her head. "I'll miss you too. But you'll be fine. Just watch out for Dawn and all your friends." She gave Buffy a pointed look and then spoke in a voice that her daughter knew not to argue with. "Be a little nicer to Spike, okay? And give that Angel the what for."


Buffy chuckled in spite of her tears, "Stop calling him that." But her words held no scorn as she had a small smile on her face. "And I promise I'll be nicer to Spike. It'll be hard, but I'll do it. Somehow."


"Good. Now off you go." Joyce ushered her eldest daughter towards the door. She stopped her just before she crossed the threshold, where Whistler was now waiting outside. "Be careful okay? I love you."


"I will." Buffy assured her mother. "And I love you too."


They hugged one last time and Buffy was out the door and meeting Whistler.


With one last look at her mother she joined Whistler and they began walking to the stream Buffy had frequented during her stay there.



_____________________________________________



Buffy and Whistler made their way to the small stream in silence; both too lost in their thoughts concerning the recent and upcoming events to speak.


When they reached the small stream Whistler spoke first, breaking the silence. "In all seriousness Buffy," she started a bit at his use of her real name and realized he was definitely being serious. "You've got a lot ahead of you and you're gonna have to stop analyzing so much, or you'll miss out on a bunch of the good parts."


"What does that mean? I hate it when you go all crypt-o"


"Now you're adding 'o'." He chuckled at her. "I'm not trying to be cryptic intentionally. But I'm only allowed to tell you so much. And like I said before, it ain't much." He was all seriousness again. "You have to trust your heart, okay? Don't worry about the other stuff. It'll fall in place once that does."


"Argh! What do you mean?" She cried out frustrated.


"You'll see." When Buffy continued to scowl at him, he flashed her a smile. "Ready?" She scowled harder. "Set?" Her eyes widened when she realized he was really getting ready to send her back. She closed her eyes and she sucked in a deep breath, bracing herself for anything.


"Go!"


_______________________________________________



Sunnydale-


Spike was stumbling his way through the cemetery after his visit to Willy's. He wasn't quite as drunk as he'd have liked, but it was a start. He still had a couple of bottles in his crypt he could stop by and grab before he headed back to the Summers', and that would solve that problem. He wanted the welcome embrace of incoherence and forgetfulness. Just for a little while. But before that he wanted to stop by his Slayer's grave one last time for the night, just to make sure it was all still okay. He was secretly hoping that he'd walk by and it wouldn't be there. That the grave marker would be gone and this would’ve all been a nightmare. He knew that was far reaching, but for the short amount of time it took him to walk to her grave, he could at least pretend.


He was almost upon it when his vampiric senses alerted him to the presence of another vampire somewhere nearby. He growled low in his throat at the thought of some mere minion desecrating the ground around Buffy's grave. He ceased the breathing which was purely habitual, and slowly began to stalk the area searching for the wayward vamp. He spotted the scraggly looking brunette leaning up against a tree, taking lazy sips from what looked to be a huge bottle of 'Colt 45'. Spike shook his head in disappointment, stupid git, can't even drink properly. He straightened up to his full height, which admittedly wasn't much, and sauntered proudly so that he was standing directly in front of the other vampire and about ten feet away. The vampire looked up at his entrance, but other than that showed no interest.


Spike reached into his pocket and casually lit a cigarette. He tilted his head and exhaled a plume of smoke, eyeing his opponent. When he spoke it was with such a casual air that a passer-by might have mistaken them for acquaintances. "You have to wonder."


When he didn't continue the dark haired vampire slowly lifted his head to eye the blond with glazed over eyes. "Hunh?" He grunted/slurred.


"You have to wonder," Spike continued as if he'd never paused and there had never been an interruption. "What kind of bloody stupid twit would dare tread on my girl's grave?" He moved slowly towards the intoxicated fledgling. "What kind of bloody STUPID, drunken, ignorant, soon to be dust in the wind TWIT, would dare set a single, smarmy foot on my girl's grave."


The younger vampire seemed to suddenly realize that he might be in danger and straightened up, as much as he could in his current condition. "Loook budddy. I jus' stop'd fer, liike a haf a sec affer dinner."


Spike moved closer still, "Doesn't matter. Still did it." He finished up his cigarette and put it out on the bottom of his shoe, placing it in his pocket he began stalking around his prey with fluid grace, vanquishing any signs of his earlier 'buzz'. "And that's jus' not somethin' I can let lie. Certainly you understand?" He asked in an almost reasonable tone.


He darted out with vampire speed and the fledgling took a right hook to the jaw. It seemed to jostle him enough to sober him up a bit because when he jerked his head back up towards Spike he had switched into game face and was snarling.


A huge grin split across Spike's face and he bounced, back and forth, on his toes. "Ooh, gettin' right feisty aren't'ya? Just what I needed before beddy-bye." He swung out again, hitting the other vamp square in his nose, and then had to duck to avoid a sloppy jab. He spun to his left, putting his back to the brunette's side, and gave him an elbow to the kidney. The fledgling doubled over, half from pain and half from drunkenness, as Spike spun back around to face him again, still bouncing on his toes. "C'mon mate! At least make it interestin'."


In all the commotion neither vampire heard the cracking sound to their right. The voice that rang out suddenly startled them both, but one in particular. "Spike! Will you quit playin' with him! And can you hurry up so you can help me dammit!"




_____________________________________________________



As soon as Buffy closed her eyes and heard Whistler say 'Go!' she felt the air change around her. It was nothing major, nothing too noticeable, just a slight buzz in her ears and a bit of a 'whoosh'. She kept her eyes closed tightly, too scared to open them and face the fact that she was, well, where she was. After a few seconds it became too hot and stuffy and Buffy realized that, regardless of what she wanted, what she needed was to get out of there before she died a third time before she even got out of the coffin from the second time. When she opened her eyes and let herself see that she was, in fact, inside a big wooden box, she began tearing at the satin and busting through the wood. She clawed her way through with little trouble, just as Whistler had said. That is, until she ran into a bit of a snag. Literally.


She yanked on her foot only to realize what she already knew; it was caught on a root, or rock, or something. Oh, this is just great. She wiggled it this way and wiggled it that way, but to no avail. Somehow Buffy maneuvered her way so that she could get her head and upper torso through the dirt. The sight she was greeted with only confirmed that pretty much everything Whistler had told her was gonna end up being true. She paused for a moment in her struggle to free her foot to take in the sight before her.


There he was. Spike, in all his glory. Or half of his glory, since they guy he's fighting doesn't look like much of a fight. She watched him for a while longer until she realized that he hadn't noticed her travails with the coffin, and dirt, and roots, and everything else I've gone through, and that he was still fighting. Big, stupid, blind, deaf, blond, stupid vampire. Hello? So called love of your un-life hangin' out in her grave...! When he still showed no signs of sensing or hearing her she decided to just do this the easy way. And the way she knew best. Yelling. It always worked.


"Spike!" She hollered out loud enough for the whole of Sunnydale to hear. Both vampires stopped dead in their tracks, arms in mid-swing, and turned their heads sharply towards the grounded Slayer. When she saw she had his attention she rolled her eyes and continued, "Will you quit playin' with him? And can you hurry up so you can help me dammit!"


Spike was still so shell-shocked that he had yet to move, his attention solely on his Slayer. The younger vamp decided to take advantage of this when he saw that Spike was still standing stock still. He let his fist fly from its holding position and knocked Spike right across his right cheekbone. This was only the first time that Spike had actually been hit by the fledgling, but with his attention on Buffy, it was enough to knock him on his ass. As soon as he hit the ground he seemed to come out of it. With a growl he leapt back up and, producing a stake from somewhere, quickly staked his opponent without ever taking his eyes off the Slayer.


Even as the final dusty remains of his enemy drifted to earth, Spike's entire focus remained with the blonde stuck half in and half out of the ground. The longer the vampire stood frozen in shock--failing to move, speak, blink or breathe, the more annoyed Buffy became. She wanted out of this hole; it was bad enough she had to wake up in it, but to now be stuck in it too. She couldn't begin to say how grateful she was that Spike had been there right at this moment. And yet, he was still staring at her open mouthed. Kicking her legs around as much as possible with her foot lodged; she braced her hands against the ground and tried to push up. Still nothing. "Great. I'm stuck and I've got a zombied out, catatonic vampire starin' at me like I'm the Holy Grail. Arrgh!" She grumbled to herself as she continued to try anything and everything to get out. Finally giving up with a huff, she slumped down and turned to face Spike again. "What's a gal gotta do to get a fella to help her out huh?" She asked him finally.


For a few more seconds he stood there, then amazingly enough and to the total surprise of Buffy, he started laughing, hysterically. He had tears streaming down his face steadily as he laughed heartily, clutching onto his sides. Not long after his laughter had begun, he ended up on his knees on the ground


"Well..." Buffy huffed. "That's certainly not the reaction I expected. I figured, I dunno, crying, smiles maybe, shouts of joy, hoorays of happiness, but not hysterical, verging on psychotic laughter." For several more minutes Spike laughed on. "Okay, you can quit with the laughter there, Chuckles. There are other things to do ya know. Like, oh, GETTING ME OUTTA HERE!!"


Spike slowly stood up, his laughter finally dying down and began slowly walking towards her. As he came closer, Buffy realized he still had tears falling freely down his face and she felt her heart lurch as the sight.


When he was finally upon her he placed his feet apart, one on each side of where her body should be, and squatted down on his haunches. She could tell that Spike was still in shock since he still wasn't speaking. Note to Self: Spike is capable of shutting up. They sat in silence for only a few moments, but it seemed like an eternity to them. In that time, they became so lost in each other's eyes that they forgot she was stuck in her grave, which she had just risen from, after being dead and spending time in a cabin with her likewise dead mother and an immortal demon whose presence always firmly rested on her nerves. None of that mattered as she gazed into his midnight blue eyes and he into her harvest hazel eyes.


OH.MY.GOD. Have his eyes ALWAYS been so blue?


Oh bloody hell. How could I EVER get lost in anything else?'


He slowly and ever so gently raised his hand up and brushed an errant hair out of her eyes and then picked a few pieces of earth out. He brought it back down and rested his elbow on his thigh, still silent.


Buffy blinked slowly and then said softly, "Hi."


Spike couldn't hold back the smile that broke out across his face, "'Ello love."


"Can I get a hand?" She finally asked after the continued silence.


"Yeah." But he failed to move.


She waited a few beats, "Spike?"


"Hmm?"


"Help?" She gestured to the rest of her body still hidden.


"Oh. Right." He shook his head violently seeming to 'come to'. He looked down at the ground between his legs. "You're stuck." He said it as if she'd had no idea.


"Yeah, hence the help needin'." She joked with a smile. "You didn't think I was just lounging around did you?"


"I dunno what to bloody think, luv." He answered honestly, and then began to dig up some of the dirt trying to loosen her.


Using the time needed to 'concentrate', he was thinking about the situation they were all in now. Of course they'd been expecting it; expecting her back. But now it was actually happening. Anything they were going to be coming up against in the near future was now going to be sooner rather than later. Whatever prophecies or portents or apocalypse his Slayer was involved in would soon be coming to pass. Needless to say that scared him senseless, he didn't like the thought of everything happening so soon. Obviously that was a stupid fear, seeing as Buffy wouldn't be back at all if it weren't for 'destiny' or 'fate', whatever you want to call it, so he should actually be grateful, but he just couldn't bring himself to be gracious for the thought of possibly losing her all over again all because of some stupid prophecy.


Spike stopped digging and gestured to her buried feet, "Wiggle it a bit, luv, and see if that did the trick."


Buffy did as instructed and was awarded with mobility. She breathed out a sigh of relief and began to extract herself from the earth. "Whew. Finally! I'm so kicking Whistler's ass for this. He failed to mention the added bonus of getting stuck after I've just dug myself out of my own grave." She finally pulled herself completely out, muttering the whole time, "Stupid balance keeping, fashion victim, crypt-o freak, demon." She stood up straight and brushed dirt off of her white sundress, and then looked up at Spike rubbing her hands together. "So, whatcha been up to?" She asked him with an amused smile.


Spike chuckled in answer and shoved his hands in his pocket looking down at the ground shyly. He shuffled his feet from side to side and randomly glanced up at Buffy, but he remained silent. He was suddenly very grateful for the fact that vampires don't blush. He already looked like some lovesick schoolboy, to also be caught blushing at this time would be something he'd never live down. Even if Buffy never said anything or called him on it, his demon would torment his inner William for acting like such a nancy boy.


Buffy was extremely flattered by the fact that she could make a master vampire twitter in his combats. She enjoyed the fact that she affected him this way; that her presence could change his entire countenance the way it did and cause him to act so out of character for a vampire of his 'reported caliber'. Pfft. He's just a big ole cuddly vampire. She'd kept her eyes on him the entire time and when he still hadn't spoken she hesitantly moved towards him.


Spike jerked his head up towards her quickly, and then just as quickly ducked back down lifting his shoulders bashfully.


Softie. Buffy smiled. She stopped when she was standing directly in front of him and only a foot away. She was suddenly struck with the thought that her behavior was completely out of character too. She was flattered by Spike, loved seeing this side of him; and those were things a Slayer shouldn't feel towards a vampire. Before she could get too heavy into analyzing anything she remembered Whistler telling her to quit doing exactly that, and decided to just go with it. This was a whole new start. A second, or third in her case, chance at doing things differently and she was just gonna let it fly. She brought her hand up and shoved Spike's right shoulder playfully, "Don't act so shocked, Junior. You knew I was coming back."


Spike shrugged his shoulders, "Well, yeah, but we didn't know when. And I certainly never expected it'd be here and now. I mean, you had to wake up in your coffin? Seems to me 's'if they coulda brought you back a little less dramatically. Maybe somewhere else completely." He answered, embarrassed that he'd been caught here. These were his special moments and the random vamp was bad enough, but now she was here and he felt a little imposed upon. Not that he wasn't happy that she was back. He was; extremely so. He wanted nothing more than to pull her into his arms and hold her until he was assured that she wasn't going anywhere. Then he wouldn't let go still; he wanted to kiss her senseless.


Seeing the woman he loves come back from the dead, and in a joking mood at that, was fine and dandy. But she was joking with him, laughing with him, not walking away from him, and most importantly; not hitting him. This put a whole new spin on fine and dandy. Actually, this blew fine and dandy out the window. This was more like, he felt his chest was gonna burst from his heart wanting to beat so badly. He was still extremely wary of Buffy's acceptance of him, so he was trying his best not to let his excitement show too much. Although, being embarrassed certainly helped him keep his giddiness in check, so he had no worries.


Buffy shoved him with the back of her hand, "See! That's what I said." She shrugged her shoulders in a 'what can ya do?' gesture and continued, "But, Whistler was the 'master in show', so I knew it would be all drama-queen-y. And not only would it've been more convenient, but I would've preferred to've been brought back somewhere that's else, too. I wasn't keen on the whole, 'wakin' up in a box' thing, ya know? So don't get all defensive and wiggy on me; wasn't my fault." She finished with her chin jutted out, her weight bearing on her left hip with her right foot pointed out, and her arms crossed; classic Slayer style.


And Spike was loving it. God, how he'd missed her and her attitude. Not to mention the crazy way she talked. Sure, he'd been around the Scoobies, talked with them and still heard 'Scooby-Speak', but it was different coming from his girl. Gonna have to stop with that, mate. Slayer'll be more likely to stake yer sorry bum if she hears your declarations of propriety. Either way, staking or no, he was ecstatic that his girl was back and that she seemed to be as normal as ever. Or maybe a bit abnormal since she was acting this way with him. Didn't matter, he wasn't asking any questions because he could care less what caused her behavior, as long as she stayed this way. Spike inwardly smiled at her and her stance, while outwardly he stood up straighter and moved closer to Spike so that they were only inches away from each other. "'M not defensive. And I don't get 'wiggy'." He said the last as if it left a sour taste in his mouth. "Was just sayin' 's all. Don't see why you had to be brought back here." He gestured to the are with his hands. "Seems...I dunno...harsh, dunnit?"


"Well, duh! Did'ya miss the part where I said I wasn't keen?"


He huffed a bit at her. This was the Slayer he knew and loved, snarky as ever. "Noo. I didn't bloody well miss it. Was just agreeing with you. Can't you soddin' tell when someone is on your side?"


Buffy brought her arms down to her sides and moved closer to him, their noses almost touching. "Yes, I can tell, thank you very much. But you sounded all defensive and wiggy. So I was just tellin' you not to be."


Spike suddenly had a smile break out across his face, his eyes shining. "Welcome home, love."


Buffy stopped for a second, cocking her head to the side and then smiled in return. "Thanks." Her words were genuine and she wanted him to know that. She hoped that her eyes were relaying the message correctly and that Spike could tell that she meant it.


Apparently they did, because neither one moved at first, once again lost in each other's eyes. Spike finally avertted his, and looking at the ground, he backed away. "We should get you to the house, luv. Everyone'll wanna know you're back, 'specially Nibblet." He looked up towards the sky, "She'll be 'sleep at this hour, but this occassion calls for an early risin', yeah?"


Buffy cleared here throat and shook her head slightly. "Yeah. I guess you're right, Giles is prob'ly chomping at the bit to hear what I know." She chuckled lightly, "And I wanna see Dawnie, let her know mom's okay." Suddenly a shiver shook her to the core and she brought her hands up to rub her arms, "Also, I wanna know whose bright idea it was to bury me in a white summer dress! And sandals? Which, by the way, I've lost one of somewhere down there while I was stuck." She clenched her fists and brought her arms up under her bosom, still shivering. "It was a freakin' funeral, who gets buried in a white dress and sandals? No one, that's who."


"So, you're cold then?" Spike asked with a cheeky smile, to which she responded to with a glare. He shrugged his trusty duster off his shoulders and placed it around Buffy's, as if he'd done it a thousand times.


The gesture and his close proximity had Buffy blushing, and her belly burning, as she slid her arms through the sleeves and mumbled a low, "Thanks."


"Welc'm. 'S not like I feel cold or hot anyway." He responded gruffly.


"Right. Forgot that." She said slowly. She looked at him through squinted eyes and wondered what the problem was. What's with the mood chang-y-ness? Stupid moody vampire. She thought to herself.


Truth was, Spike was a bit unnerved by the Slayer's reaction to him. He'd caught the redenning of her cheeks, the slight rise in body temperature and heart rate. And if he allowed himself to believe it, he'd even caught a whiff of arousal. The bloody SLAYER's gettin' all hot for me. ... Bout time. He thought cockily. Then he seemed to realize the implications that her reactions caused and became nervous again, which in turn caused him to, as the Slayer had said before, get 'defensive'. Quit actin' like a nancy-boy flutterin' about a girl he fancies. Spike admonished himself, trying to stop his heart from trying to, literally, flutter. Well, as much as a vamp's can anyway.


Buffy cast one last questioning glance at the other blond, and then she began making her way out of the clearing and towards her house.


Spike remained silent but moved to fall in stride with her. So caught up in his own thoughts, he didn't notice the Slayer wincing and limping until about the fourth wince. He looked over at her and noticed that she was in fact missing a shoe, and as a result, her right foot was taking a beating from the ground.


Buffy was lost in her thoughts also. She was currently cursing everything and everyone that had ANYTHING to do with her return; the location, timing, all of it. Stupid Powers. They should be called the Weaklings, or the Pussies. Can't fight their own battles, gotta have a girl do it. Can't let her die either. Or, stay dead anyway. She stepped on a particularly pointy rock and her limp became even more pronounced and her curses continued. Stupid Whistler. Stupid people who make sandals that can't last through a resurrection. Stupid, WHOEVER, that dressed me in wimpy sandals. She glared at Spike, just for good measure. Stupid vampire. She knew she didn't really have a reason to be angry at or curse Spike. But, she wasn't happy, and he happened to be there, so venting seemed like the right thing to do, so that's what she was doing when she slammed into Spike's back all of a sudden. "What the hell? What's wrong with you?" She demanded as he turned to face her.


"Way I figure it is; you got three options, pet." He ticked off his fingers as he listed them. "One: Continue limpin' along and gettin' your pretty lil feet all bruised. Two: Hop on piggy style and let me carry you home with at least a little dignity. Or, three: I snatch you up fireman style or damsel in distress style and you'll have no dignity left as the Slayer." He placed his hands in his pockets and shrugged his shoulders. Looking off to the side as if it didn't matter either way, he added, "Your decision."


Buffy started to protest but then realized that he was right. Her feet couldn't handle the entire trek to her house. There was no way. She may be the Slayer, or something like a Slayer only stronger, whatever; but her feet were still sensitive from disuse. It would certainly feel better if she accepted his offer, that she knew. And she was planning on doing just that, but she threw in an extra scowl just because she felt she was required to. "Fine." She huffed in mock aggravation.


Spike opened his mouth to speak, but quickly shut it and smiled at the Slayer and her glare of warning. He spun around quickly, offering his back to her. "Hop on little lady."


Buffy growled, but moved to jump on his back anyway. "Can't believe I'm doing this. Me! The Slayer, jumpin' on a vamp's back for a piggy back ride to my house, where he's been staying and taking care of my sister." She grumbled to herself as she jumped up and wrapped her legs around his waist. Placing her left elbow on his shoulder, she bent her arm and brought her hand up to lean her face against, her other arm resting lightly on his right shoulder.


Spike stopped walking as he heard her last statement. "How'd you know I was stayin' there?" He turned his head to the side so he could see her out of the corner of his eye. "I didn't tell you that."


"What?" She asked innocently.


"I said, how did you know I was stayin' there? I didn't tell you." He repeated.


"Yeeaahh. And I said, what?"


He started walking again, "You're not gonna tell me, are ya?"


She shook her head quickly, "Nope, notta chance. Now, giddyup little horsey." She tugged at his curls gently, messing them and causing them to stand up in all directions. Hm, must work on getting him to lose the gel. Touseled Spike makes for Sexy Spike. She thought with an evil grin and a glint in her eye. She unlocked her ankles and made to 'kick' him in the sides like she'd seen them do in the movies. But instead of hittin his sides, her heels made contact with the tops of his thighs. And a little to close for comfort if you asked Spike.


"Oi! Watch it now Slayer. Those bits might not interest you," yet he added silently, "but I don't fancy the idea of losin' 'em. If it's all the same to you."


"Ugh, Spike, you're a pig." She swatted him half-heartedly on his head, a smile in place the whole time.


"Sing me a new one, luv." Spike replied, smiling himself. "Sing me a new one."


The two made their way to the Summers' home in a comfortable silence, both completely lost in their thoughts.




tbc...
CHAPTER SIX by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Hi guys! Thank so soooo much for the reviews! You have no idea what they mean to me! Not to mention the fact that they keep my muse happy. The more reviews--the quicker the updates!! Thanks again, you guys ROCK!
As always- Disclaimers still in full effect. I own nothing, they own all, I'm only playing!

Huge, mondo, super-sized thanks go to Stephi for this chappie. You rock sista!

_______________________________________________________


Sunnydale-


The Slayer and vampire slowly made their way up the walkway of Revello Drive, Spike dropped Buffy to her feet as soon as they'd reached the sidewalk. He heard her heart speed up in nervousness and figured she'd be better off being able to move freely, or pace, if needed.


Buffy reached down and removed her sole sandal. It was making a 'thwacking' noise as she walked, and that disturbed the silence that was needed in order for her to get her thoughts in order.


She was really excited that she would see Dawnie again, and her friends too. But she was still wary because, as she'd told her mother, this was just gonna be weird no matter how you looked at it. They might've known she was coming back; but to be faced with the situation head on, was something else entirely. Buffy knew that first hand. She noticed Spike watching her and turned to meet his gaze.


"Shouldn't be nervous, luv. We've all been waitin' for this day. They're bound to throw a party, or send out flyers."


"Yeah. I know. But I can't help it." She was acting like a scared little girl; totally the opposite of what his Slayer usually acted like.


"Well, buck up, get over it and get yourself inside before I have to resort to carrying you in there. And don't think I won't. Don't care if you are scared, you're goin' in." He knew that the sure fire way to get her inside that house was to imply that she was afraid.


"I am not scared! And I'm going. I was just resting for, like, a second. You big butt." She glared at him and then stomped the rest of the way to the porch. As soon as she reached the steps she slowed down again, another wave of nerves coming over her. Geez Buff, get it together, will ya? She straightened her shoulders and put her hand on the knob. She tried to open it, but nothing happened. She took her hand off and glared at it like it was the problem, and then tried to twist the knob again. Still nothing.


All of a sudden Spike was behind her. Reaching around her body, and getting mighty close while doing so, he put his key in the lock. As he turned it, he whispered in here ear causing 'chilly bumps' to appear all over her skin, again. "Usually works better when you try to open it after you've unlocked it."


Buffy sucked in a sharp breath as chills swept over her body in response to his nearness and his accented voice in her ear. "Very funny." She breathed out. Her heart was hammering in her chest, her face felt aflame, and she was too much of a lady to discuss the rush of heat in her womb and the subsequent state of her undergarments. But needless to say, the effect Spike was having on her was a profound one, and if she stopped lying to herself, she would even say it wasn't exactly a shock. He's always been sexy. Even that first time I saw him, I knew it. I just found out he was a vamp and figured that was that. She thought as she unconsciously leaned into Spike's chest and closed her eyes. Then with the 'Will Be Done' spell, found out first hand just how yummy he is. And it's not like he's even evil now, I mean, c'mon! She knew that she was basically making up excuses to ogle the sexy vamp, but she was actually listening to Whistler for once and not analyzing or questioning. I know I wasn't the only one who saw how he was while I was gone. So it's not a total shocker that I'm wanting to ravish the vampire on my porch. Is it?


Spike released the key and let his hand fall to Buffy's side as she leaned into him. This whole night was completely surreal to him. His Slayer was back, she was okay, she was being nice to him, she was... touching him. Through the haze of shock she'd created by leaning into him, he once again noted the changes of her body and was still surprised at the hint of arousal. Especially this time. There was more than a hint there. Bloody hell! The dozey bint's tryin' to kill me. His nostrils flared and his eyes rolled back into his head as her scent washed over him. He buried his nose in her hair and inhaled deeply. She smelled of sunshine and night, strength and life, lust and want, earth and just plain ole Buffy. Gone were the parfums and spritzes. This was everything Buffy, and he was sure he'd never smelled anything so sweet. Bringing his hand up to her arm, his fingertips lightly grazed the skin, "Ready, love?" He whispered against the shell of her ear.


She shivered in response and answered with a mumbled, "MmHm," and a sigh.


When she still failed to move he brought his hand up to her face and lightly traced her cheekbone, "Buffy?"


"Yeah?"


"You have to actually open the door to get in, pet."


"What?" She lifted her head up and asked confused. She shook it a bit, "Oh, yeah. I'm going." She stood up straight and wiped her hands against her thighs nervously. Both of them felt the strong sense of loss go straight to their cores, and in spite of the hum on her skin telling her to get her warm body back up against his cooler body, Buffy hesitantly reached for the door and opened it slowly. "When did the door start getting locked anyway? I don't remember that part." She tried to cover up the way he affected her, but a vamp's nose didn't lie, and she knew that. But-- she could fool herself if no one else.


"Put in a new one a few weeks ago. Didn't want the Bit in a house with a door we couldn't lock since no one seemed to have a bloody copy of the key to this place. So-- I figured I'd just start over." Spike answered.


"Ah." Was Buffy's distracted response. She moved over the threshold and noticed that the lights were all off, save one that seemed to be in the kitchen, and a small lamp in the living room. She stepped into the foyer completely and poked her head around the corners of the living room and dining room, just to make sure no one was hiding, and then turned towards the stairs.


Spike followed behind the Slayer and closed the front door softly. He watched her actions in interest and when she began to slowly make her way up the stairs, he did the same.


Buffy reached the top and turned to head in the direction of Dawn's bedroom. She stopped when she reached the door and put her ear against it, listening for any sounds that her sister was still awake. When she heard none she turned back to Spike and he simply nodded and gestured with his hand for her to enter. She turned the doorknob slowly, and opened the door in the same fashion, mindful of any squeaking. When the door was opened completely, she stepped into the room and walked up to the side of her sister's bed. Dawn was lying, not really on her back, but not on her side either, and with headphones resting askew on her head. She undoubtedly fallen asleep with some teeny bopper boy band crooning in her ear.


Spike came to rest against the door frame crossing his arms and ankles. He watched Buffy silently as she removed the headphones from Dawn's head and placed them on the girl's nightstand. He watched with an over abundance of love, as she gently pushed a strand of hair out of Dawn's face and then sat on the edge of the bed. And he watched in apprehension as his Bit started from the sound of her sister's soft voice calling her name.


"Dawnie?" Buffy whispered softly.


Dawn was just getting to the good part of her dream. Justin Timberlake had been telling Tiffany Johnson, the resident bitch of her school, that she was a troggelodite bitch with callouses on her lips from gossiping so much. Tiffany was always a major bi-yatch to Dawn; constantly stabbing her in the back and running her mouth. Just as JT turned towards her with the intention of kissing her-- right in front of everybody in school-- she heard someone softly calling her name. Nuh-uh. Not wakin' up. I like this dream. Her dream self shook her head in protest and stubbornly scrunched up her face.


When she got no response other than her sister shaking her head negatively and adapting a 'sour puss' face, she repeated a bit louder, "Dawnie." That seemed to do the trick as the young girl rolled onto her back, stretched her limbs, and squeezed her eyes shut really tight.


Dawn had just decided to ignore the other voice in her dream and focus completely on the hunk in front of her. He'd almost reached his destination-- her lips-- when the voice spoke again, louder. Her dream self stomped her foot, daggum it! She whined in her head as she felt herself being pulled back to the land of the awake. Why couldn't these people leave her alone? She was an impressionable teenager that needed her sleep. She had to be prepared for the day of learning ahead of her, and one of the others waking her up right now certainly wasn't going to achieve that goal.


She rolled over and stretched out, much like a cat waking from an afternoon nap, when it suddenly occurred to Dawn that she'd just been awakened by her sister.


The sister that was supposed to be dead.


That could only mean one thing.


She slowly opened her left eye first, followed by her right. Still having said nothing she turned to Spike in the doorway for clarification. He nodded slowly with a smile on his face and she turned back to Buffy with her own smile in place. "It is you."


Buffy nodded and tears sprang to her eyes, begging to be released, "Yup. The only me there is; that's me."Dawn suddenly burst out laughing, much like Spike had done earlier, and tackled Buffy to the bed. The two girls hugged ecstatically and laughed heartily as they rolled off the bed and onto the floor.


Spike couldn't help but laugh at the situation also. His girls were happy, he was happy; unlife was good.


"Ow." Dawn suddenly whined. Buffy moved from her spot on her sister, after having landed there from the fall. "Happy time, but, ow." She giggled again and fell to the floor on her back, exhausted.


Buffy giggled also from her spot next to Dawn, "Sorry, but, you did tackle me, ya know."


"Yeah, but I couldn't help myself. I mean, hello! My sister just came back from the dead. Kind of an overwhelming, tackle needing situation, right?" Dawn reasoned as she lifted herself onto her elbows and looked at her sister.


"I know. Spike reacted the same way. Only less with the tackling and more with the laughing." Buffy commented as she eyed him at the door.


"Not 'xactly in the mood for a migraine, thanks. Otherwise, I'd'a been more'n happy to tackle ya." He responded with a smirk in place and his scarred brow arched. "Still am."


"Spike!" Buffy admonished quickly. "Behave." His only response was to run his tongue against the backs of his upper teeth and smile, causing her face to flush again. She looked away quickly, and turned back to Dawn. "Ignore him. He's being weird tonight."


Dawn looked to Buffy with an 'are you crazy' look, "How's tonight any different than every other night? He seems pretty normal to me." She finished off turning towards the vampire in question and giving him the once over. "You bein' weird tonight, Spike?" She asked him honestly.


"Nope." He answered, popping the 'p'. "Don't 'ave a clue what she's talkin' about." He lowered his voice and moved his head in Dawn's direction. Speaking in a stage whisper he continued, "'M a bit worried, tell the truth. She's just come back from the dead, she might just be off her nutter. If ya know what I mean?"


Dawn giggled in response and Buffy mock glared at him. "Why was I being nice to you again? I suddenly can't remember. Must be a side effect of, what was it again? Oh, duh! The whole me 'Being off my nutter' thing, right?"


Spike sobered up quickly, "You're right. 'M sure you're fine." He turned to Dawn and slightly shook his head and gave her a look that said 'total rot'. Buffy noticed and her mock glare intensified, causing Dawn's laughter to do the same.


"You're a bad influence on my sister, Spike." Buffy commented.


He simply shrugged, "What can I say? Evil, remember?"


"Shyeah. You're evil alright. About as evil as a cuddly vampire can be." She told him smirking.


His eyes widened, "Oi! Take it back."


"Nuh uh. Big softie."


He moved farther into the room and Buffy sat up as he approached her. "'M not a bleedin' softie, woman. 'M a master vampire of the Aurelian bloodline, that's not something to be taken lightly, I'll have you know."


She clasped her hands over her heart and gasped, "Oh no! Dawn, the big bad Aurelian vampire's gonna get me. Whatever shall I do?"


Dawn waved her hands in front of herself, "No, no, no. I'm not taking sides. I'm smarter than that."


"Looks like you're all by your lonesome here Slayer." He said as he stalked towards her.


Buffy said nothing but watched his progress with a smile on her face. This whole 'no analyzing' thing is pretty fun. She leaned back on her hands as he came to rest on his haunches in front of her.


"'S not nice to tease a vampire, luv. You should know that." Spike commented.


"Generally I would go with the popular vote on that one, but, this is you we're talking about. Not some run of the mill vamp." She shrugged her shoulders, "It's not like you can do anything to me anyhow."


"Ooh, is that what you think?" He turned to Dawn with a cheeky grin and then proceeded to attack the Slayer with wiggling fingers at her sides. He wasn't clear on where his newfound courage came from, but he wasn't asking any questions. His Slayer wasn't trying to stake him yet and he was making the best of it. Dawn had let him in on a tiny secret a couple weeks back. Apparently, Buffy was extremely ticklish; and this was something he planned to use to his advantage from now on. He was evil after all.


"Wha'! Oooh no, unh uh mister! Stop it! St-stop i-it! Aahh!" Buffy tried her best to get away from his overactive fingers, but she couldn't wiggle away fast enough, and she soon found herself trapped on the floor with Spike looming over her.


"You give Slayer?" He asked with his hands hovering over her sides.


"Give? Are you crazy? A Slayer doesn't give." She remarked bravely.


"'S'at right? Hunh. Let's see shall we?" Suddenly he was tickling her mercilessly again.


Finally Buffy somehow found some leeway and was no longer underneath Spike, but on her side facing him. They appeared to be at a stalemate; hands clasped together in between their bodies, both panting and flushed from exertion. Neither said a word for what seemed like minutes, both too confused by the evenings happenings.


As she looked straight into his eyes Buffy was, at that moment, having a bit of a disagreement with herself. The little voice inside her head that sounded like Faith and that she'd dubbed 'Bad Buffy' spoke up. C'mon B, have a bit of fun! You know those big pouty lips are just begging to be sucked on. Just after that 'Normal Buffy' added her opinion, Don't you dare little missy! This is an evil, soulless, bloodsucker you're eyeballing. What kind of Slayer would you be if you hooked up with another vamp? One that doesn't even have a soul? Finally, 'New Buffy' threw in her two cents, 'Cept he's not so big with the evil now is he? He might be soulless, but he ain't evil. Besides, he's totally lickable. Even as she had the thought, her tongue darted out to moisten her lips.


Spike nearly lost the tiny bit of control he had when he watched her small pink tongue peak out. Oh sod all. He happened to be involved in an inner argument himself. The Spike of now, demon included, wanted nothing more than to attack Buffy's mouth with his own and shag her senseless. Her intense stare, combined with the heavenly scent radiating from her body almost did him in. Look at those lips, mate. Stop and take a whiff of the air. She wants you, you know she does. The nose never lies my friend. Before he could voice any more inappropriate comments his inner William interjected, Hear now! Young ladies of Miss Summers' caliber should never be the subject of such ungentlemanly thoughts. You question her honor when you make such proclomations and I'll not have you sully her virtue.


Any further introspection was prevented by Dawn breaking the silence. "God! What is with you?" She burst out. The two blonds on the floor whipped their heads in her direction, shock evident on their faces. They were both completely dumbfounded and surprised by Dawn's outburst; they'd completely forgotten about the youngest Summers' presence in the room. She was standing over them with her hands on her hips and her head cocked to the side. "Didn't you listen to me at all?" Surprise was quickly replaced with confusion on their faces, when she made her last statement. She huffed and moved to stand behind Buffy, looking directly at Spike. "You have to go for the side and the leg." She said rolling her eyes. Spike suddenly smiled at her and Buffy continued to look at her in confusion. "Like this."


And with that, she was on her knees showing Spike exactly what she meant and causing her sister to almost hyperventilate. The three were so caught up in their fun that they didn't realize the level their voices and laughter had gotten to. Suddenly lights were coming on throughout the upstairs and doors were swinging open. Willow's voice could be heard coming down the hallway, "Spike! What did we tell you about keeping D-...oh." Her tirade was cut short when she reached Dawn's bedroom door and saw exactly what all the commotion was. She stood completely still and speechless at the threshold.


Tara's voice rang out through the hallway then, "Dawnie, honey, I thought we talked about...oh." She stopped abruptly, right next to her girlfriend; both were wearing matching expressions of shock.


Spike greeted Tara and Willow from his spot on the floor, then turned his gaze back to his Slayer. "Ladies."


Dawn hopped off of the floor and bounced over to the two stunned witches. "Look! Isn't it great? She's back." They simply nodded, still unable to form words.


Buffy looked up at them from her spot next to Spike and smiled shyly, "Hey guys. Miss me?"


Soon they were all on the floor forming a massive group hug. Spike tried, in vain, to free himself from the groping and reaching arms, but found it impossible. "Soddin' group hugs." He grumbled, but found himself hugging back anyway. He suddenly felt someone pinch him on his side, under his arm. He let out a decidedly feminine yelp and glared at the giggling Slayer.


"Shut up Spike. You know you love it." Buffy said teasingly.


"Do not."


"Do too."


"Do not."


"Do too."


"Do n...Oh bloody hell, forget it. Yes, I love soddin' group hugs and puppies and flowers and sugar and spice and everything nice. Now will you let me up? I may not need to breathe, but having four women all piled up on me, while sometimes fun, can get uncomfortable for a bloke." He gave up trying to argue with Buffy, he knew it was pointless. He was, in fact, enjoying himself but he wouldn't dare tell. It just wasn't normal for a master vamp to enjoy a soggy Hallmark moment with four human women, one of which happened to be the Slayer-- so he had to put up a front. Couldn't let on that this was an important moment in his existence. But as the small group slowly extricated themselves from each other and came to sitting positions, he had a feeling they already knew.


Forming a circle on the bedroom floor they all sat facing each other. Spike settled back, his left leg bent up, the other against the floor, and his hands behind him. The girls settled back in various curled up positions or Indian style. As he lifted his head, Spike met Buffy's gaze and knew for sure that, even without saying anything, she knew how he felt.


Okay, it was a definite now, Buffy needed no further proof. Not only did she come back all power enhanced and Slayery, but she also came back with weird eyes. That was the only reason she could come up with for why she couldn't seem to look away from Spike tonight. She even specifically ordered her eyes to avert, Okay peepers; look away from the sexy vampire. She mentally popped herself on the hand, No! Not sexy. Quit doin' that. Look away now before it's too late! But they simply ignored her. It's not as if it was entirely their fault, they were seeing a whole new side to him after all. But still, she was the boss, so the ignoring her thing just wasn't cool.


The two stayed in each other's gaze for what seemed like minutes. That is, until the air was filled with Willow's voice. "I'm so glad you're back Buffy. We were startin' to wonder what was taking so long."


Buffy looked away from Spike. Finally! Stupid eyes! She shrugged her shoulders and looked to the red headed witch, "I dunno, something about timelines and destiny, blah blah." She made the universally known hand gesture for talking, and then waved as if dismissing it. "Whistler yapped so much that I ignored some of it."


"Ignored it? Buffy? How could you? What if he told you something that could help? What if you missed something that was, like, super mondo important?" Willow asked frantically with Tara and Dawn nodding in agreement.


"Oh, I listened to the important parts." Buffy nodded quickly trying to reassure them all. "Just not when he was whining about certain times and schedules 'tick tock, tick tock' and crap like that."


Willow let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding, and rolled her eyes. "Oh. Well, okay then." She turned to Tara and whispered, "You shouldn't let me wig before I hear the important stuff."


Tara chuckled lightly at her girlfriend. "Okay sweetie, I won't let you do it again, 'kay?"


"'Kay." She nodded and turned back to Buffy, "So, how are you?"


"Honestly? I'm starved. Please tell me we have something to eat in this house?"


Tara quickly made to stand and head towards the kitchen. "We actually do have food. Spike and Dawn went to the market the other night."


Buffy looked at Tara shocked and then turned to Spike and Dawn. "You guys went to grocery shopping?" She looked down at the floor and muttered to herself, "Mom and Whistler didn't tell me that. Can't believe I missed it." She ended with a pout.


The sound of four 'huh?'s rang through the room. Buffy's head shot up and she looked at each one of them in turn, then said quickly, "Nevermind." She stood up and joined Tara at the door, "So, food huh? I'm huge with the food lovin' right now."


Soon all five were making their way down the stairs. Willow and Dawn firing off questions at Buffy in quick succession. The Slayer stopped halfway down the steps, "Guys! How 'bout lets feed me, call Giles, Xander and Anya, and then I'll tell everyone at once? Please? I don't feel like playing repeat-o girl tonight."


Tara turned to Buffy and placed her hand on the other girl's arm, "Of course Buffy, there's no need to tell the story more than once. And I know Xander and Giles'll wanna be here too."


"Sure, yeah." Willow readily agreed. "Gah, don't know what I was thinking. Tara and Dawn can get you some yummies and I'll call everyone." When she said 'everyone' Spike whipped his head around and looked at her with wide eyes. He had an intuitive feeling that Angel would, no doubt, be included in that 'everyone'.


Buffy smiled at her friend genuinely, "Thanks Wills."


Willow beamed a smile at the Slayer, "No prob, Buff. I'll just go get the phone." She said as she rushed down the rest of the stairs, through the living room and into the sitting room on the side.


When the rest of the group reached the bottom of the stairs, Tara and Dawn turned towards the kitchen go raid the fridge, Buffy made to follow but noticed Spike hanging by the front door. She turned to him curiously, "What's up? Aren't you coming?" She asked sweeping her arm in the direction of the kitchen.


"Um...nah, think I'll bugger off now. Red'll be making the calls and that'll include Peaches, and as much as I enjoy goading him on, I don't fancy facing him again right now." He tried to put on an air of disinterest and nonchalance, but he never was very good at lying, so his movements were jerky and clumsy as he moved to open the door.


"What? Did you slip a crazy pill in with your afternoon blood? Is the Big Bad scared of the 'Great Brooding Wonder'?" Buffy asked in a mocking voice. She walked towards him and latched her hand around his bicep. "You're not getting away that easily, Junior. Running never solved anything." She told him with a firm nod, then grinned. "Or at least that's what I heard."

"'M not scared." He declared standing tall. "And 'm not runnin'!" He heatedly protested.

"Oh no? What d'you call it then? Traipsing quietly? Sauntering in silence?" She snorted indelicately. "More like galloping in fear."

"Oi! 'M tellin' you that I'm not scared here, luv." He said pointing a finger at himself. He moved away from the door and took a few steps towards Buffy. "And, I don't traipse or gallop. Occassionally I'll saunter, but only if the occassion calls for it. But never, ever do I traipse or gallop."

"Whatever you say Bleach Boy." She called over her shoulder as she walked away from him and towards the kitchen. "What's the eats?"

He followed behind obediently, but voicing his opposition. "'M serious Slayer. I don't." They turned the corner and disappeared into the other room.


____________________________________________



Willow dashed throught the living room and into the sitting room, headed for the phone. She came to an abrupt halt, her hand halfway to its destination, suddenly overcome by the severe urge to do the happiness jig. She ran in place, much like Jennifer Beal in 'Flashdance', shook her arms and made a high pitched 'SQUEE' noise. She was so excited to have her best friend back.


With the sounds of chatting and laughter coming from the direction of the kitchen, Willow diligently placed her calls. The first being to Giles, the second to Xander and Anya; both consisting of Willow speaking before the other could answer, simply saying, "She's back." But that was all that was needed, because in all actuality, she'd only gotten as far as 'She's b-' before she heard their doors shutting.


Then came the part where her nerves got the best of her-- the call to the ex, sometimes evil, always moody, vampire-boyfriend. Willow knew there was a reason someone should've made this call weeks ago, or just told him as soon as they found out, and this was it. The bit where she got to tell Angel that his true love had returned from the dead, and that they hadn't seen fit to tell him it was even a possibility.


Yeah, so-- fun this is not. Willow grumbled to herself as she reached for the phone again. She halted her progress at the sound of Buffy laughing at something Spike said, and Tara and Dawnie chuckling along in the background. She smiled to herself, once again basking in the greatness of the situation. Her smile was quickly replaced by a look of confusion, 'Cept...It's kinda large with the weirdness to see her acting all buddy-buddy with Spike. I mean, c'mon! It's SPIKE! Although, if she allowed herself to admit it, she knew that he had changed. This wasn't the punk rock vampire that blew into town with his psycho girlfriend; this was the chipped love-sick vampire that was head over heels for her best friend. Yes, she could say it now; Spike loves Buffy. In spite of being a soulless, 'evil' vampire, he loves Buffy. Everyone had seen how he was after that night, they'd seen how much of a mess he was; if that wasn't, at least in part, love then she didn't know what love was, obviously. Xander had even changed his attitude and actions towards Spike. She wasn't delusional enough to see them frolicking through a meadow in the future, but they at least got along for the most part now. Willow had a feeling that their new and shiny 'buddiness' began with the mutual Angel-hatin' that occurred on the day of the funeral. That, and they both loved an incredible woman that was gone; but now that Buffy was back Willow had a niggle in the back of her head telling her that the 'buddiness' would be cut down to pint size. Xander and she had been friends since kindergarten, she knew how he could be when his jealousy was in the driver's seat. Even with the recent engagement and upcoming wedding, Xander was still insanely protective of Buffy-- especially when dealing with male suitors. Oh well, guess we'll find out here shortly exactly when the male posturing will begin. Xand'll be here in no time.


She shook her head and scolded herself for getting distracted from completing her task. She really, really didn't want to make this call, it was just destined to be full of badness. Angel's gonna get all growly and broody. Then the REAL male posturing will begin when he gets here. Between the three of 'em, there'll be enough testosterone in the air to fuel the National Guard. She grabbed the receiver to prevent herself from continuing her mind babble, and just finally place the call. She glanced at the small notepad on the table, read the number and then punched it in; all the while dreading having someone pick up on the other end. When it rang twice and they still failed to answer she began nervously twirling the phone chord around her fingers. By the fourth unanswered ring her heart began to speed up again, only this time it wasn't because of her nerves. Hey! Maybe they won't be there and then someone else, that isn't me, can call them later! That'd be stellar. Finally she heard a click, and for a second she thought her heart stopped. Then she heard Cordelia's voice ring out over the phone line, 'Hi! You've reached Angel Investigations...' With lightning speed she slammed the phone down onto the cradle, before someone did pick up.


"Phew! One angst ridden conversation put off for now." She muttered to herself as she continued to stand by the phone. She heard laughter ring out from the kitchen again and turned to head in that direction. "Maybe now someone else-- again, not me-- will have the pleasure of that lovely convo and I won't have to deal with it. Yay me!"


She made it into the kitchen just as Spike was ending an entertaining imitation of the womanly screech that Xander had let out one night on patrol. When she was in the room fully, she went to stand against the island between Buffy on the bar stool, and Tara leaning against it. "What'd I miss?" She asked with a smile.


Dawn stopped laughing long enough to answer. "Oh, Spike was just telling Buffy about that night you guys fought that Glarko-wacky-thingy."


Willow began giggling herself, as she picture Xander running around the cemetary yelping at Spike to help him. "Oh yeah! The Glor'kow'dkin. Oh Goddess Buffy!" She turned to the Slayer, "You shoulda seen it. Apparently, the Glor'dow'dkin's limbs are still 'alive', after you sever them. You have to like, yank their hearts out or something. But-- Spike cuts this thing's head off, right? Xander walks right up to the demon's body-- keep in mind, the head is off the body, but still nearby-- kicks it in the side saying something like, 'Ha! You big demon dummy' or something as equally Xander-ish, when all of a sudden something grabs onto his pants leg." She had to pause in her narrative in order to get a particularly nasty case of the giggles out. "So, Xander looks down at his ankle, and what does he see? An ankle biter! Literally. The things head was still 'alive' and had clamped down on Xander's jeans with his teeth. He was running around like a little girl, screaming at Spike to 'Save me you big dumb peroxide vampire!' with this head attached to him. It was the funniest thing, in like, EVER."

Soon the entire group was in stitches as they continued to recount their tales of patrolling without their Slayer. And that is the scene that Xander, Anya and Giles walked into as they arrived at the Summers' house.



tbc...

Review, Review, Review.... please?
CHAPTER SEVEN by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Big huge thanks to Stephi for beta'ing this for me... You're the best!!
Feedback greatly appreciated and needed for inspiration! Review review review!!
Disclaimers still in effect and full force, I own nothing, I'm only playing.
Disclaimer still in full effect. They own all, I own none- I'm only playing... and oh what fun it is...

__________________________________________________


Giles drove towards Revello Drive with a lightness to his heart that hadn't been there in recent months. His Slayer was back. The girl that was more like a daughter to him than a charge had been given back to them. The word 'elated' popped into his mind when he tried to name exactly what it was he felt.


He arrived at the Summers' residence with Xander and Anya trailing behind by mere seconds. The three friends all hopped out of their respective vehicles at the same time, anxious to get inside.


Only, Xander seemed to forget the importance of putting the car in park and turning it off, so when the car lurched forward he leapt back in just before it rear-ended Giles' car. "Crappy crap, crap, crap." He cursed to himself as he got back into the driver's seat.


Anya screeched when the car jerked just as she was getting out. "Xander Harris! You could've caused some serious bodily harm to me, mister! Not to mention yourself. Then who would pleasure me, huh?"


"Sorry Ahn." He replied distractedly as he moved towards the porch. He met up with Giles on the sidewalk and walked in stride with the older gentleman the rest of the way. Xander turned to Giles with a sappy grin on his face, "G-man! Looks like our bestest Slayer's gonna be back in business."


"Yes, it would seem so." Giles replied distracted. He then turned to Xander sharply, "Don't call me that."


"Sorry G-ster," Xander said with a grin, all but sorry. "Just a little excited is all."


Giles stopped walking and looked at the younger man curiously, "Where do you come up with these loathsome names? Do you just sit around thinking up new ones?"


"What?" Xander asked raising a hand to his chest looking appalled. "No. I'm very witty and inventive in that way; no prior thinking required. They just come to me-- like an epithany."


"Epiphany." Giles automatically corrected.


"Yeah, epiphany, that's what I said." Xander puffed his chest out with pride, "Connoisseurs of the art of funnies, such as myself, don't have to work hard at our jokes, we're just naturally talented."


"No you're not." Anya said, matter-of-fact, looking at Xander with wide eyes. She turned to Giles and gestured to Xander with her thumb, "He lies in bed at night coming up with his moderately funny names and sometimes humorous anecdotes. He practices on me first, after many hours of orgasms, of course."


Giles had to stifle a laugh at Xander's look of embarrassment and a cringe at Anya's always forthright comments.


Xander's face turned beet red and his eyes grew exponentially in size, "Anya! Remember what we talked about? Private moments stay private, and those are private moments."


Before his fiancé could respond Giles spoke up again saving them all from further embarrassment. "What say we go in? We've dawdled out here long enough. We have ourselves a very alive Slayer waiting to see us inside. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm rather anxious to see her again."


Xander nodded enthusiastically while Anya did the same, just with a lower level of enthusiasm; and they all three headed inside.


______________________________________________________



Inside Buffy was still seated on a barstool at the island, Dawn on the other, Willow sat on the kitchen counter next to the sink with Tara leaning against the counter beside her, and Spike was settled on the other counter next to the microwave.


For the last ten minutes the group had regaled Buffy with events that took place during her absence, and while she knew pretty much everything that happened while she was gone, she was at that moment having one particular event she'd missed recounted for her. And as a result she had tears of laughter streaming down her face as she held onto her sides.


"Wait, wait. So...Ok," She took a deep breathe, "You made Spike and Xander do what exactly?" She asked looking at Willow.


"Hey!" Willow cried defensively, "it's not like it's my fault that the vamps were casting rejects from 'To Wong Fu With Love'. Tara and I can't exactly dress like men, dressed like women can we?"


Buffy shook her head, "No, I guess not, but-- still, I can't believe you made them do it; and they actually did it."


"Wasn't exactly happy about it, Slayer. 'S not like I willingly participated." Spike pouted from his spot. He pointed an accusing finger at Willow, "Red threatened to turn me into a newt if I didn't do it."


Willow nodded in agreement, "You betch'yer cushy tushy I did, and I still will if you get outta line buster." But her voice held no heat, her cheeky grin was full proof.


"Oh come on Spike! I'm sure you made a lovely 'woman'." Buffy joked before promptly bursting into laughter.


"Oi, Slayer! Who said I was the woman? Maybe Harris was."


She shook her head and responded wryly, "Somehow I just can not see Xander dressed in drag with you playing the doting 'partner'." She made the air quotes around partner and shook her head, "Then again, I can't really see you dressed in drag with Xander playing the doting partner either, but-- hey, what do I know?"


"You shoulda seen him, Buffy." Dawn piped up excited. "With his cheekbones and lean frame; he was a be-aut! Dark blue is definitely your color, Spike." She finished with a giggle in spite of the glare Spike sent her way.


"That wasn't the best part though." Tara spoke up softly and with a grin. When Buffy turned to her with one eyebrow arched in question, she continued holding back a snicker, "The best part was when they had to hold hands and act all snuggly at Willie's."


Spike didn't seem to find this bit of information as hilarious as the others. He slumped his shoulders and lowered his head grumbling to himself. "'S not that funny."


Buffy looked over at Spike and noticed his pouty expression. She found his reaction adorable, and that wasn't something she'd expected. Huh. Adorable-- never imagined that'd be a word I'd use in reference to Spike. But she was turning over a new leaf. She was a 'New Buffy' and she took the advice given and was re-thinking the whole thinking thing. Not to mention the fact that, for some reason, since her return she had a set of gymnastically inclined butterflies in her stomach that put on a show whenever she looked at him.


The other females ignored his comment and continued giggling. "What was this for again?" Buffy asked Willow as she finally looked away from Spike. "Why did the boys have to make with the fake man lovin', just to go after some random vamps?"


"Well, we had heard that they were after this really powerful amulet. It was reported to have many supernatural qualities. One of which was added strength." She shrugged her shoulders, "We figured it was better if we got our hands on it first. So-- stakeout." She finished simply, looking at her best friend.


"And the dress comes in where?"


"Turned out a simple stakeout didn't work as well as we'd hoped. We needed some way to get closer; see if we could hear anything."


Dawn nodded her head, "Yeah. One night when we went to the movies, we saw 'Sorority Boys' and Xander made the comment that the movie was, and I quote: 'Stupid and totally far fetched. No self respecting member of the male species would ever dress in drag just to spy. We tend to go more for the suave, debonair, 007 kind of spying.'" The younger Summers shrugged her shoulders, "We all looked at each other-- you could practically see the light bulbs coming on over our heads, well 'cept Xander-- and then voila! The next day was spent finding Spike a suitable dress, teaching Xander to act more feminine, and assuring Anya that he wasn't really gay and that he wouldn't leave her for another man."


Images of a frantic Anya popped into Buffy's head, which caused her to double over in laughter again. But then she began to wonder how, exactly, she had missed all this. Her mother, Whistler, and she had watched their TV pretty much constantly. Guess with the time differences it's possible, but-- damn I woulda loved to have seen that!


The others joined in her laughter, again, shortly thereafter and even Spike couldn't suppress the smile that blossomed on his face at the sight before him. He was definitely not enjoying the humiliation factor, but seeing his Slayer laughing and living again wasn't something he was willing to put an end to anytime soon. And the fact that she was treating him like an actual person, and dare he say friend, was an added bonus. So he played the part of the embarrassed, grumpy vampire all the while smiling on the inside.


Willow finally regained her composure enough to finish up the story, "OK, so-- we got Spike all gussied up and Xander all trained in the art of 'flaming'. Then they went to Willie's and acted all couple-y; holding hands, talking quietly--"


She was cut off when Buffy interjected, "I can just imagine the colorful conversation they had." Everyone chuckled at the Slayer's comment.


"I know, I know. They sat in the back of the bar in a little booth close to the Wong Fu-ers so they could hear what they were saying." Willow continued, "They were only there for a little bit before they heard the first mention of the amulet."


Spike scoffed, "Yeah, and what did we hear?" Willow had the decency to look at him shamefaced and he glared in response. "Seems the rainbow club thought the little bobble was pretty. Shiny. Thought it might go well with an outfit or two."


Buffy stopped laughing and looked at the blond and red head with wide eyes. A small smile began to crack through, "They just wanted a new accessory? Something that would match both their evening gowns and massacre wear?" She laughed all out then. "So they weren't even a threat? Well-- not a threat in the sense that they wanted to get the amulet and become all powerful, but more like, 'Oh my God! where did you get that fabulous necklace' type of thing." She giggled. "So, no world endage planned then?"


"Nope." Willow confirmed. "No world endage that week."


"Yeah. No world endage for you. I'm the one forever scarred. And forever is forever to me," Spike grumbled.


"Doesn't hafta be that way, Junior. I could always take care of that forever problem for ya." Buffy cheekily offered, and then she turned back to face Willow with beseeching eyes. "Please, please-- tell me you got pictures?"


Being as caught up in 'storytime' as they were, the occupants of the Summers' household didn't hear the cars pull up outside; or the muffled conversation being held on the front porch. So when they suddenly heard Xander's voice, they all turned surprised faces towards the door leading to the kitchen.


______________________________________________________



The three newcomers walked into the kitchen just as Buffy, Dawn, Willow and Tara all erupted into raucous laughter. As Xander came into the room fully, he held up the hand in which he held Spike's keys. He looked at the blond vampire, "Ya know Spike? There's this common ritual practiced among us humans. It's something we like to refer to as 'the key removal'. It's where you take these," he held up Spike's keys and shook them slightly, "unlock the door; then take them back out and place them firmly in your pocket. Or, if there's a special little hook somewhere that they call home, you stick 'em on there." Xander shrugged his shoulders going for a look of nonchalance, "I dunno. Do what ya want. Just figured you wouldn't want copies of the key passed out to all the bad guys. Would kinda defeat the purpose, yeah?"


"Can it Whelp," Spike responded. But Xander's-- and everyone else's-- attention was solely on the Slayer sitting at the kitchen island.


When a full thirty seconds had passed with no one breaking the silence, Buffy spoke up. "What? I don't still look dead, do I?" She asked with a smile, looking to the three standing in the doorway.


That seemed to break the spell over the room as Xander walked up to Buffy and gave her a hug with almost enough force to knock her off her stool. "Buffster! You are a sight for sore eyes."


She chuckled in response, "So I take that as a no then, huh?" Xander backed away and allowed Buffy to stand.


Giles walked up and stood in the spot previously occupied by Xander. "Buffy." He whispered, almost choked up.


"That's me." She answered with a watery smile. He opened his arms and she flung herself into them, hugging him fiercely.


"You are quite the miracle young lady." He whispered in her hair, causing her arms to tighten around his middle. He wheezed a bit, "And still quite strong, I see."


Buffy released him and backed away embarrassed. "Sorry Giles, I seem to have a problem in the hugging too hard area."


"Quite alright," Giles was quick to reassure her, "nothing was broken, I assure you." He rubbed his side and grimaced slightly, but tried to cover so Buffy wouldn't feel bad. "I'm just glad you're here to hug in the first place." He told her with a smile.


Suddenly Giles was shoved out of the way and Buffy found herself engulfed in Anya's arms. "I'm glad you're not dead now."


Buffy smiled and hugged the other girl back awkwardly, "Thanks Anya. I think."


Anya pulled back to arm's length with her hands still on Buffy's upper arms and looked the Slayer in the eyes, "No, I'm being sincere. I'm really glad you're not dead anymore. I missed you. It was weird." She released the Slayer and stepped back next to her fiance.


Buffy had to smile at Anya's choice of words, Good ole Anya-- blunt as ever.


Silence descended over the room once again. The weirdness of the situation wasn't lost on Buffy, See... I knew I was right. Weirdness abounds for Buffy. As always. I hope his immortal twerp-iness is watching this. She thought to herself with a grumble when she thought of Whistler.


Buffy was starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with the quiet. Sure, she knew it would be an adjustment for everyone. I mean, hello! Dead girl not so dead anymore. But the staring thing was kinda creepy after a few minutes. She looked across the room at Spike and saw that he was watching her with the same adoration as everyone else, but there was also a hint of something more there. His eyes held a softness that she'd always tried to ignore; like he knew exactly what she was thinking and what she was feeling. And she found that his stare wasn't really in the creepy category, more flattering than anything. That would, under normal circumstances, be kind of wiggy; but Buffy was starting to realize that the rule of thumb for normal circumstances didn't apply to her, or the people surrounding her. She couldn't blame it all on the Hellmouth either-- she had a feeling that her life would be just as strange without it.


When Spike noticed that Buffy was looking at him he tilted his head, slightly, to the side and gave her a small smile. She graced him with a smile that made his still heart somersault in his chest. He knew that she wasn't relishing this moment. Her merry band of do gooders, himself included, were all acting like she was the second coming. But, if one thought about it-- she was. She's a bloody savior to the lot of us. A savior, a protector; he wanted to say angel, but there was no way he'd ever call his Slayer that. No, that name was forever ruined by the poof. She's a cherub, that's what she is-- with hair of golden spindle and eyes that shine like a million stars. With the heart of the world and the strength of a beautiful warrior. His inner Spike sent his inner William a scowl as he heard the pathetic attempt at poetry resound through his head. Then his inner demon brought his arm up and drove his fist straight into inner Spike's nose. Bugger off you nit! Even if it is sappy, sickeningly romantic drivel-- at least the wanker knows she's shag worthy. Spike realized that his entire 'being' was in complete agreement when it came to Buffy. He was hopelessly lost in love no matter which side of him you asked.


The two blondes held each other's gaze when the silence remained heavy in the air. That did not go unnoticed by the Slayer's friends and family. Dawn mentally hopped up and down and screeched at the obvious connection between her two favorite people. She hoped that Buffy was finally over her 'Spike = evil' thing, and that she'd realize that she had a major hottie totally caught in her web. She didn't think she'd every be happier than if they got together.


They should just bone and get it over with. Sheesh, they act like grade schoolers-- being mean to each other because they like each other. Dawn giggled silently when the image of a little Spike pulling a little Buffy's pigtail, and then little Buffy chasing him around threatening to stake him. She knew that sometime in the near future she'd be envisioning the three of them all under the Summers' roof, like one big-- or smallish-- happy family. How freakin' awesome would that be? She wanted her sister to be happy and she just knew that Spike was the perfect person, er vampire, for the job. She knew that her sister needed someone that loved her no matter what. Someone that wouldn't run away at the first sign of drama, that wouldn't leave her for her own good. Butthead. She thought as she imagined herself kicking Angel really hard in the ass. And Spike would definitely never do either of those things. Now-- if only she'd stop being so hard headed and notice what she has in front of her.


Dawn continued to watch the interaction as she thought to herself, while Willow, Giles, Tara and Xander were all caught up in their own thoughts on the blonde duo. Willow and Giles were highly speculative on the prospect of Spike and Buffy being involved, Tara thought it was cute and that the both of them deserved some happiness. Aside from the fact that their auras were mingling together whenever they were close, she thought they would both be good for each other.


Xander stood with a constant loop of, What's this? What's going on? Why are they looking at each other like that? Since when does the Buffster stare at Deadboy Jr. without a hint of glare-y-ness in her eyes? He wasn't as entirely opposed to the idea as he would've been months ago. He had after all worked beside Spike all summer when Buffy was gone. He'd noticed the changes in the vampire, even if he wasn't sure he wanted to admit it. Sure, he'd kept up pretenses most of the time, let everyone believe he still hated Spike with a fiery passion, but he secretly enjoyed having another male in the group. Since Oz had gone, and now Riley, Xander was seriously lacking in the sharing of testosterone and male bonding department.


Yeah, there's Giles, but he's the dad of us, it's just not the same. Plus, the old coot can't play pool to stop an apocalypse. But all of those things didn't mean that he wanted Buffy to take on Spike as her newest boyfriend and get all mushy-gushy, cuddly-wuddly with him either. Of course, he'd never been exactly ecstatic when she had a boyfriend in the first place, he still carried a small torch for the Slayer, and he had Anya now, so it wasn't totally a jealous thing, but because of past experiences with male members of the vampire species, he wasn't exactly doing the snoopy dance in his head.


Anya simply stood beside Xander eyeing Buffy and Spike and wondering why no one else was commenting on the fact that the energy between the two was palpable. Happyland and orgasms would do wonders for those two. Why humans continue to ignore these things is beyond me. But for once she kept her mouth shut and sat examining her manicured nails.


When silence continued to reign over the room Buffy shifted uncomfortably and her eyes darted around avoiding everyone in the room, save Spike. When their gazes connected she sent him a silent plea of 'Now would be about the time you usually say something smart ass-y.'


The right corner of his lip lifted just a bit before he stood up straight and did just as she asked, "A'right you gits, 'at's enough of the starin' and gawkin'. I'm sure you've all got questions burnin' in the backs o' your throats." He pointed to Giles, "'Specially you Watcher. So why don't we get the Q&A session over with so I don't have to stand around and watch the lot of ya bein' all weird."


Giles took his glasses off and began wiping them on his shirt tail, "Yes, I suppose that'd be a capital plan."


Spike snickered loudly and then spoke in an upper class British accent mimicking Giles, "Yes, I suppose that'd be a capital plan. God you're such a nancy."


He placed his glasses back on and glared at the blond vampire, "You know Spike, if you don't want to be here, I'm sure there are some demons lurking about tonight, you could take out your aggressions on them, or possibly some mildly illegal activities that you could partake in."


Xander walked up to Spike and slapped him on the back, "Yeah, or you could go on the hunt and scowl at people all night. You know, be the Big Bad again... well, the Big Bad Scowler."


Spike answered the younger man's antics with one of the patented scowls that had been mentioned, and an accompanying elbow to the ribs to which both men responded to with a yelp of pain. Spike grabbed the front of his head and squeezed his eyes shut tight while Xander grabbed onto his side and winced. Anya jumped from her place on one of the stools and ran to Xander's side with a constant stream of 'are you ok?' and 'you deserved it' and 'Spike don't hurt him' coming out of her mouth over and over.


When Spike cried out in pain, Buffy found herself almost jumping to his side to make sure he was ok and not Xander. He had after all only been doing what she'd wanted and Giles and Xander had given him a hard time. While she wasn't condoning him inflicting pain on one of her best friends, she also realized that Xander deserved it.


Ok, I'm officially aboard the wig train. Since when do I worry about and take up for Spike over Xander? She caught herself before she actually made it off of her stool and caused the others to question her sanity, but just barely. She knew that they were thinking that she was a bit crazy right now anyway since she hadn't kicked Spike out of her house yet, but she didn't want to amplify their thinking on the matter.


But Xander was acting like an ass, so why would it be so strange if I made it known that I felt that way? If she was going to follow through on the whole new Buffy-ness thing she had going, she knew she would have to stop worrying about her friends' reactions so much. But that was going to take some work and lots of effort. It wasn't exactly something she could just do over night either, she'd have to ease them into it, Take it slow and watch out for their reactions to my reactions.


Once he recovered from his head zap Spike looked at Xander, "Again, it was worth it."


"Shut it 'Almost Scary One'." Xander grumbled while continuing to rub his side as Anya fawned over him. Spike simply glared at him while everyone else let out a small giggle over their antics, thereby missing the almost glare Buffy sent Xander herself.


"Yes, well now that that's over with," Giles looked at the two men reproachfully then to Buffy, "Why don't we go into the living room and have us a chat?"


Even though Buffy had known she'd have to go over everything she still didn't look forward to playing a super sized game of twenty questions. More like a gazillion questions. She grumbled silently while standing from her stool.


"Guess so. Let's get this boat show on the road." She said as she moved towards the living room.


Spike fell in directly behind her and everyone else followed diligently as they made their way into the other room. Once in the room, Buffy seated herself in one of the chairs, Spike leaned up against the door frame leading to the foyer, Giles took up sentry at the fireplace with one arm on the mantle, Tara took up her regular station at the desk, paper and pen at the ready, and Xander, Willow and Dawn all sat on the sofa with Anya sitting on the arm next to her fiance.


Buffy sat wringing her hands nervously and staring at her lap as she tried to figure out where to begin her tale. When Giles cleared his throat she finally looked up, "Ok, so where do ya want me to start?"


Everyone began firing off questions in quick succession all at the same time.


"Where were you?" from Willow.


"Was it Heaven?" from Tara.


"What was it like?" from Dawn.


"Did you meet any dead famous people?" from Xander.


"Did you have to wear flowy gowns and hippie sandals?" from Anya.


Giles, like Spike, remained quiet and studied his Slayer while the others spoke.


When it was apparent that they weren't going to let her get a word in edge wise, Spike finally spoke up, "Oi! Why dontcha shut yer gobs. The Slayer can't answer your questions if you don't pause to even take a breath." Everyone had the grace to look sheepish while Buffy sent him a grateful smile. He responded in kind, gracing her with his own shy smile.


Oooh, school boy Spike is back. Buffy giggled mentally.


Before she would get into her thoughts to heavily Giles interrupted them, "Why don't we start with the prophecy you spoke of to Willow and Spike. Did you 'visit' them for that specific reason? It was a way for us to all find out and research it?"


Buffy shook her head slowly, "No. That wasn't the reason for my visit. Someone," She glanced at Spike with an eyebrow raised, "was acting like a big ole dummy vamp, so mom and I decided to pay him a visit to get him to knock it off." The blond vamp looked down at his feet, shuffled them awkwardly and grumbled an almost imperceptible 'sorry', Awe, how cute he's-- No, no Buffy. Gotta concentrate here, no googliness can happen right now. She mentally popped herself on the hand before her thoughts could once again run away with themselves.


Giles looked at her quizzicaly then to Spike and Willow in the same fashion, "Acting like a..." he cleared his throat, "'a big ole dummy vamp'? What does she mean?"


Spike quickly adapted a deer in the headlights look, "Uhh..."


"It was nothing Giles, he's over it now." Willow answered for Spike. She looked him with her eyebrows raised, "Aren't'cha?"


Spike glanced at Buffy with a smile and a nod then back to Willow, "Yeh, over it."


Xander was looking from person to person with a look of confusion clearly displayed on his face, "Oookay, now that that bout of confusion has passed..." He looked to Buffy, "So where were ya? What was goin' on? How did you know what was up with Mr. Chippy and Wills?"


It was the Slayer's turn to get the wide eyed-caught look, "Welll, Whistler kinda set it up so I could see what was going on down here."


"Whistler?" Giles asked intrigued. "You got a visit from Whistler in Heaven?"


Buffy nodded in the affirmative, "Yeah, but it wasn't really Heaven. It was some place called 'Summerland'." She waved her hand in front of her. "Kind of a holding place, since I was coming back and all. And yes, the irritating one was there." She scowled, "He just loves to piss me off and drive me crazy. I swear that's one of his job descriptions, 'Drive the Slayer crazy.'" She looked up at the ceiling questioningly, "I wonder if they put that in the ad...? 'Must wear tacky hats, show up when not wanted, and be able to drive the Slayer insane with your inane crypt-o messages and smart ass-y-ness."


"Buffy..." Giles prompted.


"Huh?"


"You're gettin' kinda off topic there Buff." Xander answered.


"Oh. Sorry." She shook her head, "What was I saying?"


"You said Whistler set it up so that you could see what was going on down here..." Willow said to help her remember.


"Oh, right. So we had this TV that we watched. But time was different, so I didn't see everything. That's how I didn't know about your cross dressing mission." She snickered as she glanced at Spike and Xander.


Xander's face turned beet red and his eyes widened, "You...? You told her about that?" He covered his face and lowered his head, "Oh god, my masculinity is now nonexistent."


"Oi! How'd ya think I feel Harris? I was the one in the dress. And now she's picturing me wearing one, plus you're not the one whose in l-" He dipped his head stopping himself from finishing that sentence before he could embarass himself further. Everyone knew he was in love with Buffy, it was obvious, but he never really spoke about it to the others, at least not all together with everyone looking at him like he was the latest exhibit at the museum. That was bit too close for comfort there. Gotta watch the looseness of the tongue around the Slayer and her cronies. He glanced over at Buffy to gauge her reaction to his almost slip and noticed that she grinned and blushed a bit, and slightly lowered her head. Hmm, what's this then? The Slayer actin' all girlish? About me?


Buffy had in fact noticed what he almost said and couldn't help the slight blush that crept up her face and neck and the small tingle of feminine pride. She giggled a bit in her head when she thought of the fact that he loved her. Ok, first it freaked me out and pissed me off-- now, it makes me giggle like a girl and blush.


"People! Can we get back on topic please? I wanna know what she was up to... God!" Dawn stated in a loud voice.


"Dawn is right. This is rather important, we have a prophecy to contend with. Not to mention the fact that our Slayer has returned from the dead." Giles spoke up, the voice of reason as always.


"Right." Buffy agreed. "The prophecy... I don't really know much about it guys. It's the whole cryptic 'you can't know right now' type of thing."


"Well, let's start with what you do know, yes?" Her Watcher prompted.



tbc...

review, review, review....
CHAPTER EIGHT by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Sorry the update took so long. Real life has been almost as dramatic as the show. Huge, mondo sized thanks to Stephi, my beta. You rock my world sista! Hopefully updates will be faster coming. REVIEW, REVIEW, REVIEW! It's been so long since I've written, I need people to tell me it's still good so I can keep going.
Disclaimer still in full effect. I own nothing, they own all, I'm only playing. And havin' fun while doin' so!

_______________________________________________________


Previously...

"Right." Buffy agreed. "The prophecy... I don't really know much about it guys. It's the whole cryptic 'you can't know right now' type of thing."

"Well, let's start with what you do know, yes?" Her Watcher prompted.
___________________________________________________________


Buffy shifted uncomfortably in her chair as she felt everyone's eyes fall explicitly on her. The entire group was placed sporadically throughout the living room waiting anxiously for her to begin her tale. To say she felt on the spot would be a huge understatement, but she knew that she had to get this over with and with a quickness. Ok, where to start, where to start... They're all lookin' at me... God, I hope I don't have coffin hair... No- back on track Buffy... ok, where to start...


She cleared her throat rather dramatically and began speaking, "All right, so- There's this whole big thing where there's this prophecy about me that no one knew about. Not even the Powers. Apparently, it's been around, but hidden somehow? I dunno, and I don't understand it all; but the person that wrote it put some mojo whammy on it so that it stayed hidden until one certain event happened to jump-start the whole deal." She paused for a second to make sure that everyone was paying attention and was rewarded with the fact that her friends were still watching her intently, You’d think a girl would be used to this by now...


Giles took the opportunity to speak up during her pause, "What was this catalyst then? What jump-started it?"


Buffy turned to him and looked him straight in the eyes, and shrugging simply answered, "My death."


Giles gave a small smile and responded, "Yes, I guess that should've been rather obvious."


Xander piped up quick with the wittiness as always, "Yeah G-man, even I figured that one out."


Giles rolled his eyes and sighed loudly responding out of habit. "Don't call me that."


"He's got a point Giles." Anya contributed. "You're supposed to be the smart one of the group. Ya know. Since you most likely were quite the book worm and nerd growing up, you worked at the Watcher's Council for years and wore tweed and all."


Giles glared at Anya, "Just because I happen to be intelligent doesn't mean I was a nerd, as you put it."


"Yeah, Ripper's got some stories I'm sure Anyanka." Spike said smirking, which caused Giles to aim his glare in the vampire's direction instead of the ex-demon.


"Oh I've heard bits and pieces of stories from his rebellious days. The raising of powerful demons doesn't go unnoticed by other demons. But, those were just that, rebellious days. He was still a nerd at heart I'm sure." She seemed to consider something for a second, "He was prob'ly a momma's boy growing up, which in turn caused him to increase his intellect instead of masculinity." She added that last bit in her usual tactless manner.


Giles puffed up his chest, "I'll have you know Anya that my masculinity or lack thereof, has never been an issue. In fact-"


Giles' tirade was impeded by Willow clearing her throat. When everyone turned to her, she lifted a hand and gestured in Buffy's direction with a look on her face that clearly said 'its story time so shush'.


"Right, sorry Buffy." Giles said to the Slayer in apology.


"Sorry Buff." Xander added.


"Don't look at me, I'm not apologizing, I had something to say." Anya said crossing her arms when everyone looked to her. "You people are always saying you're sorry for speaking your mind, I just don't get it."


"It's called tact Anya." Dawn supplied from her spot on the couch.


"Tact is stupid. All it is is not saying true stuff."


Xander looked off into the distance, "That sounds really familiar... Where have I heard that?"


"Cordelia." Was the resounding answer he got from everyone in the room, save Spike and Tara.


"Right," Said Xander.


"Ok people! I gave the shush look before; now I'm gonna say it- shush! And don't think I'm foolin' either, ya've all seen this face before." She said as she pointed to her patented 'resolve face'.


The members of the group that had been interrupting all adopted sheepish looks and seemed rightly reprimanded. They remained quiet and looked back to Buffy.


"Now, where was I?" Buffy asked looking off to the side at nothing trying to remember. "Oh, right. Me makin' with the deadness because of this stupid prophecy." So caught up in trying to get her thoughts in order, she missed everyone's flinch at her flippancy on the subject of her death. "So there's this prophecy about me that's been hidden for, like, eons- which by the way, those guys," she pointed towards the ceiling, "soo not happy about the whole not knowing thing. I guess they don't like not knowing what's going on with 'their’ Slayer or something." She shook her head in disgust at the supposed proprietary stance the Powers took towards her. "Anyway, it's been around for forever, but they didn't know about it till I died. The funny part is, some of the things that've happened in my life were apparently foretold in this hidden prophecy."


"Like what?" Dawn asked.


Buffy turned to her sister and shrugged, "I dunno, Captain Not-Obvious wouldn't tell me anything about that. He said we had to figure that part out," She said as she gestured to everyone in the room. "He did make it sound, though, that when we find the actual prophecy it would tell us what it was that happened that was supposed to happen. Or, at least it should hint in the 'cryptic find the clues and figure it out' kind of way." She shrugged again.


"Right, so somethin' or some things happened in your life that was all foretold in some hidden prophecy that even the higher ups didn't know about then?" Spike asked from his position against the doorframe trying to summarize everything his Slayer had said so far.


Buffy nodded, "Yup."


"Well, that clears up so much dunnit?" Spike said sarcastically, and then he harrumphed, "Shoulda known it was just some wanker yankin' us around and buggerin' with everything."


Willow spoke up then, "Where are we supposed to find this prophecy? Where do we look? And what do we look for?"


"Yeah, did they give you anything to go on? Or are we just supposed to go through all of Giles' stuffy books and hope we find something?" Xander asked with a grin.


"Is everyone going to continue to insult and poke fun of me? Or shall we stay on track?" Giles huffed.


"Just tryin' to lighten the situation here Papa Bear, that's all." Xander said slightly shamefaced.


"Yes, well, that's all well and good, but this is rather important- it's something we need to know for future reference and to help us in our research of the coming events." Giles explained, always the reasonable one. "And Papa Bear? I swear. I don't know where... No, never mind." He shook his head and then turned his attention back to the matter at hand. "What are we supposed to be looking for Buffy?"


"Well... He said to look for something that has to do with 'the chosen twice returned' and a 'child twice reverted,' whatever that means."


"Well, that at least gives us something to go on, yes? I mean, we certainly know what the 'chosen twice returned' bit is." Giles said as he shifted positions against the mantle. He turned towards Tara, "Tara, have you been getting this all down?"


"Of course Giles, you should know by now." She replied with a teasing smile.


"Right." He smiled in turn.


Willow spoke up, ever the optimist., "Well, it shouldn't be too terribly hard to find something now. We'll just look for anything that mentions that." She hopped up and down on the sofa a few times excited by the prospect of lots of research, "Oooh, this is so exciting. All those books to go through, all that ancient stuff to read about, all the possibilities." She squealed a bit, "I can't wait." Off of the looks everyone was giving her she looked slightly embarrassed, "I'm turning back to my roots aren't I, and back to the geekiness that was me in high school, huh? Ms. Nerd-y-ness Extraordinaire." She said the last bit grimacing.


"Nah." Buffy was quick to reassure, "You weren't that bad Wills. And even if you were, I happened to like it."


"I think it's cute." Tara supplied from her spot at the desk, smiling affectionately to which Willow responded in kind.


Xander threw his arm around her shoulder and gave it a squeeze, "Yeah, Wills, if you were a geek, then I was a geek and we all know I was the king off good ole SunnyD High." Everyone responded to his statement with a giggle or smile, except Spike who just smirked and gave a look that said 'yeah right'. "Ok, so maybe I wasn't the king, but let a fella keep his delusions will ya?"


Anya patted his thigh, "Sure thing honey." She turned to Willow. "And I think it's rather amusing the way you look forward to reading all those ancient languages. Sitting there for hours trying to translate dialects that've been dead for years and years, combing through mounds and mounds of musty tomes, always in search of something that seems forever out of reach, trying to decipher prophecies and portents that were purposefully written to be confusing and irritating."


By the time she finished her dialogue everyone's faces, save Dawn's, had turned a shade whiter at the implications of what lie ahead for them.


"Ok, so maybe, not so thrilling after all." Willow said with her lips pursed.


Dawn spoke up enthusiastically, "I like the research part."


Buffy scoffed, "Yeah, well you haven't been doing it for years either. It's really, really not all that great after a while." She turned sharp eyes to her sister then to everyone else in the room, "Which, by the way, we will be discussing this new research duty thing that Dawn's had going on. But not now."


The entire group looked greatly relieved for the fact that they would not be incurring the Slayer's wrath right now.


"So, we've got somethin' to do with the Slayer coming back and a 'child twice reverted'. Did he say anything else that might be deemed as remotely helpful?" Spike said, trying to get everyone's attention back to the prophecy. He was not sure what it was, but something was sitting funny when he heard the 'clues' Whistler had given Buffy and he wanted to know what else was said. I don't like not knowin' what's goin' on with m'Slayer. Those wankers up there always got somethin' up their sleeves and this chosen/child bit just doesn't sit well.


Buffy was hesitant to answer. She had her own feelings concerning who else the prophecy might involve. She remembered very clearly how adamant her mother and Whistler both were when it came to her feelings concerning the platinum vampire. If I mention the fact that Mom and the immortal butthead were heavy on the Spike lovin', I'll never hear the end of it from the gang. Plus, we don't even know if that has anything to do with anything. She finally stuttered out a response. "Um... Well, no... He didn't really say much else. I mean- he doesn't really know anything, and what he does know he's gotta keep it a secret right? So, not much he can say. And, since he doesn't know anything, and I don't know anything then we don't know anything. He certainly didn't say anything about anyone else being involved... Or, or really talk about anyone else for that matter. No one else was even brought up. At all. Nope, just me and... and me, ya know, making with the whole destiny thing."


Spike raised a skeptic eyebrow, Something’s not bein' said here... "Really? Nothin' about 'nother person was mentioned at all?"


Buffy's fluster level began to rise and her eyes widened, Oh god, he can see straight through this... He can't possibly know... Can he? She shook her head a little more emphatically than necessary and avoided his eyes, "Nope. Didn't talk about anyone but me."


He stood up a little straighter and looked at her with a question in his eyes, "No? Really? Hunh... Then what's with the child talk?" When she began to wiggle in her seat and wring her hands, Spike felt the all too familiar flutter of his undead heart and couldn't help but think how enchanting she was even nervous. Bloody hell, what this tiny slip of a girl does to me.


Buffy was unable to respond because she was not really sure how to respond. Really, not wanting to go down the road that leads to explaining Spike being talked about in Summerland. Or the strange new flutter thing that happens when he looks at me. So, she decided to go with a diversionary tactic, "OH! Oh!" She turned towards Giles, "He did say something about me being the Slayer but more- like stronger."


"So an upgraded version?" Xander asked.


"Yup." Buffy answered with a smile.


"Alright Buffy!" Willow smiled in excitement. "You'll be like a new Dell or something. Faster, more advanced hardware."


"I know, I've already said I'm Buffy 3.0." The younger members of the group all giggled at their joke while Giles, Spike and Anya just looked on with indifference. All three of them having been around for much longer they didn't really get all those technological references.


"So, since you're all evolved now, does that mean you'll be smarter too?" Dawn quipped from her spot on the couch.


Buffy turned to her sister with a mock glare, "Oh very funny little one."


"Hey! I'm bigger than you are!" Dawn argued.


"Yeah, but I'm stronger." Buffy countered.


"Pfft, only cuz you're, like, a mutant."


Buffy jumped up from her chair and began advancing on Dawn, "Take it back you heathen child you!"


Dawn giggled and scrunching herself up on the sofa for protection against the fingers Buffy was wiggling in her direction, "Nuh-uh. You're a tiny mutant and you know it."


Buffy finally reached the couch and began mercilessly tickling the younger Summers. After a few moments of horseplay, Giles interrupted. "If we could, please, get back to the important parts here? You can rough house all you want in a bit."


"Oh pooh!" Buffy whined. "You take all the fun out Giles." But, she returned her seat all the same.


"So you said that Whistler made reference to your being stronger?"


"Yeah. He said I'd have all my Slayer powers but me more than a Slayer... and all that comes with that."


"Do you suppose he meant that you'd have more powers? Something other than physical strength and advanced healing powers?" Giles inquired.


"How am I supposed to know? You're the one that makes with the brainiac stuff. And anyway, that's part of the whole 'he didn't tell me much' thing," was Buffy's sarcastic reply.


"Right. Of course."


"Alright, you're all mutant-y now and you might have more crazy powers? Gee, and here I thought you were fun to live with before." Dawn commented sarcastically.


"Hey! I wasn't that bad." Buffy said affronted. She looked to everyone else in the room, "Was I?" When the only response she got was blank looks she became defensive, "I wasn't that bad guys."


Tara, whose job it was to reassure, quickly did just that. "They're joking Buffy."


Buffy looked at the group again and saw the smiles on their faces. A sheepish smile appeared on her face, "Sure. I knew that."


Giles stood up straighter next to the mantle and took his glasses off, wiping them as per usual. When he placed them back onto his face, he glanced at the clock next to him taking note of the late hour. "Well, if there's nothing else Buffy, maybe we should all retire for the evening. I know you must be exhausted from your return and I don't know about the others, but with all the excitement I'm a bit knackered myself."


The entire gang, save Buffy and Spike, seemed to take cue from Giles' words and all simultaneously yawned.


In spite of the monster yawn she had just sported Dawn argued, "I'm not tired Giles."


"Yes, well, be that as it may, you have summer school tomorrow."


"But..." Dawn began.


"No, no arguments, you can't miss it and you know that."


"Yeah Dawnie, there's no summer school for summer school, so you know you gotta go." Willow added.


Buffy got up from her spot on the chair and walked over to her sister. Sitting on the arm of the couch, she began running soothing hands through Dawn's hair. "It's ok Dawnie; there'll be plenty of time to talk tomorrow. Mom would kill me if you failed summer school too, and as much as I love her and wanna see her again, not really wantin' to be smited by her."


Dawn scowled realizing everyone was right and stood to give everyone a hug goodnight. When she reached Spike at the door, she stopped in front of him and spoke quietly, "No more mister moody vamp now, right?"


"No Bit, no more mister moody vamp." He glanced over at Buffy chatting amicably with her friends and their eyes locked over the top of Dawn's head. When she gave him a small smile, he returned one in kind. "Think things are gonna be lookin' up now, yeah?" Since this was his Nibblet he was talking to, he had no problem letting the hope shine through where Buffy and he were concerned. He knew that he didn't really have anything to go on proving that things would be different, but she had acted differently, accepting even, since she had been back and that was something.


Dawn turned her head slightly and looked at her sister out of the corner of her eye, "Mm-hm." She said with a smile. She turned her attention back to Spike and gave him a hug. "Be good," she singsonged in his ear.


Spike took on a mock glare, "'M never good."


Dawn rolled her eyes, "Sure Spike. Whatever you say." And she walked away making her way up the stairs with a smile on her face more genuine than any in recent months. Buffy's back.


Spike turned his head and repeated hollering in good nature in Dawn's direction, "'M never good."


"Uh-huh, keep tellin' yourself that." And with that, she disappeared around the corner.


Spike turned back around when he felt Buffy's presence at his side. He smiled gently, "'Ey luv. What's up?"


"Nothin'." She slightly shook her head. "The gang's gettin' ready to head out and then I'm gonna go up and say goodnight to Dawnie." When he made to move away towards the door, she placed a restraining hand on his arm, "Hang for a sec?"


He tilted his head in curiosity and eyed her, "Sure pet. I'll just be out back havin' a smoke when you're done."


Her response was a small nod and then she turned back to her friends as he walked through the kitchen and out the back door. "Alright guys, I'll see all of you tomorrow, I'm gonna go up and see Dawn now."


"Sure thing Buff. We'll catch ya tomorrow." Xander said as he and Anya headed to the door.


"Goodnight Buffy. I'm still glad you're not dead anymore." Anya supplied from Xander's side.


"Goodnight Anya, and thanks- again."


Willow walked up to Buffy and gave her a hug, "I'm so glad you're back."


Buffy smiled and hugged her best friend back, "Me too."


Tara walked up and laid a gentle hand on Buffy's arm, "We'll be at the dorm if you need us for anything, ok?"


Buffy placed her hand over Tara's and nodded, "Ok, but we'll be fine. I'm sure we'll slide back into the groove as easy as sliding on a slip and slide." The three shared a quick giggle and then Buffy turned serious again. She looked at each of the young women gratefully, "And I know you guys have been hangin' here most of the time lately, helping with Dawn and the house stuff, so I just wanted to say thank you. I'm sure you prob'ly sacrificed your own stuff to handle our stuff."


Willow and Tara both smiled as the red head responded, "It was no problem Buffy, that's what best friends and sidekicks do."


"Yeah," Buffy agreed. "But you guys went the extra mile."


"We were more than happy to, I promise." Tara added.


Buffy had to fight to keep the tears at bay as the realization that she had such wonderful friends. No matter what they said about it being a friend's duty, or something that just happened, or how they didn't mind, she was still extremely grateful for them helping so much while she was gone. She shook her head to dispel the feeling so that she wouldn't cry, "Anyway, thanks."


The witch and Wiccan nodded and headed out the front door.


Giles was the only remaining member of the Scooby Gang left by this time. It seemed only fitting that the Watcher have a moment alone with his Slayer after she had just returned from the grave.


Buffy turned to him with amusement playing heavily in her eyes, "So, Papa Bear..."


"Stop that right there." He scolded but the smile on his face belied the tone of his voice.


"Awe, c'mon! You are the Papa of us, no use denying it or ignoring the title that comes along with it."


"I may in fact be the patriarch, but I'd prefer that you don't call me Papa Bear. Giles will do just fine thank you."


Buffy rolled her eyes, "Oh don't go all stuffy British man on me." She walked up beside him and linked her arm through his leaning her head on his shoulder. "You know you love us and our craziness, just admit it and you'll feel better."


He gave a grunt of disagreement, "Never." Giles leaned his head against Buffy's and closed his eyes grateful for this opportunity. The Watcher’s Council had accused him of being to close to her, they had even fired him for it, and he had known it to be at least a bit true. But, he had not realized the depths to which his feelings went until the moment she had not been there. Now that she was back, he was going to be eternally grateful to the Powers or whomever it was that was responsible for her return and never take any of the moments he had with her for granted.


After a moment or two of companionable silence, Buffy lifted her head from his shoulder and pulled back. "So- major research mode huh?"


Giles nodded in agreement, "Yes, I have the strong inclination that I'll be buried beneath a mountain of books, parchments and scrolls." He took his glasses off yet again and began wiping vigorously. "I will have to say that I'm glad that they gave us at least a little bit to go on- a place to start."


"Yeah, me too, although, not really sure I wanna know what this one will be about. Prophecies and Buffy are totally unmixy things ya know. But, he did say that I wouldn't die again, so- hey, that's a plus."


"Yes, that is most definitely a plus." He smiled fondly at the girl who might as well be his daughter. He began walking towards the front door grabbing his light jacket on the way. "I should head out. I haven't had much cause for research of late, so all of my books are still at my flat. I'll call around tomorrow sometime."


Buffy walked him to the door and held it open for him, "Sounds like a plan Papa Bear." When he shot her a 'look’, she responded with a giggle. "G'nite Giles."


"Goodnight Buffy."


Buffy closed the door behind her Watcher, and headed up the stairs to say a quick goodnight to her sister and then headed out back for what was bound to be an interesting chat with a certain blond vampire.


________________________________________________________________


tbc...

review.... please, please?
CHAPTER NINE by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer still in full effect, I own nothing, I only play...
Huge, mondo, supersized thanks to my absolutely fantabulously spectacularly stellar beta, Stephi! She helped me get through a rough patch where it appeared I'd lost my touch... got a bit scary there for a half a par sec... but she saved me!
Same sized thanks go to all reviewers! You guys rock my world and make me spin! Keep 'em comin! They keep my muse busy!
I've decided that I'm in love with every reviewer I have.... this may, or may not cause probs with the fiance... haven't told him yet.... But keep 'em comin' and we just won't tell him!

_________________________________________________


As he paced back and forth in the backyard, Spike collected a substantial amount of cigarette butts at his feet. Since the nicotine did nothing for him, it was out of habit and the lack of anything else to do that led him to smoke like no one would ever make cigarettes again.


The entire time he had been out there waiting for her to join him, all he had been able to think about was the strange new way Buffy was treating him and this unknown prophecy they were facing. Despite having been subjected to it over the last few hours, Spike still had trouble believing Buffy’s treatment of him. To think that the Slayer could be anything other than merely tolerant with him was a new concept. Sure, right before she jumped they had been headed towards some sort of partnership or alliance, but this was completely different. The barbs she sent his way held less heat, the looks she sent his way less disgust and the tone of her voice less hate. If he did not know any better he would think the Slayer might actually like him. But since he did know better he stopped that train of thought before it got carried away.


Slayer's just bein' grateful is all. She said she could see what was goin' on in Sunnydale, so she must've seen me watching after the Nibblet and patrolling and what all. That's all it is.


He did not allow himself to read too much into it, the enormous fear of being rejected weighing heavily upon his mind and unbeating heart. Always and forever love's bitch, he was the one that people always trampled on and left cold. Not man enough for Cecily. Not monster enough for Drusilla. Certainly not enough of anything for his Slayer. The problem with that though, was that even though he was not enough, it did not stop him from wanting to be enough. It did not stop him from trying to be enough. For her. He wanted to be everything she wanted and needed and oh so much more.


His facade of evil was exactly that- a facade. Sure, he was in no way pure or innocent, but the fact that he could not kill humans did not bother him so much anymore. He found that he did not really want to go out and massacre half of Sunnydale like he used to. While the thought of warm, thick blood still made him salivate, the idea of someone dying so he could enjoy no longer held any credence.


So much had changed about him in the last year. So much so that he was not even sure who he was anymore. Where he had once been a bad ass master vampire, he now found himself in love with the person that should be his mortal enemy and taking care of the people that should be dinner. He was slowly and begrudgingly beginning to realize that he was not only caring for her friends and family because it would upset her if any harm came to them, but also because he actually liked them.


Ripper's got bloody great taste in music and alcohol. That, coupled with their both hailing from the mother country, made for right nice conversations till early hours of the morning.


He could not pinpoint the reason behind his soft spot for Willow and Tara, but he knew it was there. The two witchy birds have always been tolerant of me; almost nice, even with all the threats. Red can get a bit scary with her magicks, but she's mighty entertainin' when she gets all flustered and worked up. And Glinda has the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met, 'cept Joyce o'course.


He felt an almost tangible pang in his heart at the memory of the eldest Summers' woman. She had reminded him of his own Mother so much that he could not help but love her from the beginning. She had never treated him like the monster he was, and she always had a cuppa for him, ready to listen as he poured out his heart. Bit's got more of Joyce in her than the Slayer does, that's for sure.


He and Dawn had gotten so close over the last few months that he could not possibly imagine how either of them would have survived without the other. They had leaned on each other's shoulder as tears cascaded down their faces while they traded stories about Buffy. They had laughed as they watched Monty Python movies and performed experiments with different foods. He had helped her with her school work and she got to see a side of Spike that no one else ever got to see- his inner scholar, inner poet, inner historian; basically his inner nerd. That she never treated him like the monster he was, Spike no longer felt the need to keep up the pretense.


A smile curved the vampire’s lips as his mind naturally went to the other Scoobies. The appreciation he felt for Anya’s dry humor and bluntly stated truths. Never hafta worry about Demon Girl pulling my leg on anything. That and the fact that they could spend hours reliving the good ole days earned her a place in his circle of protection.


As much as he hated to admit it, Xander had his moments, too. Spike found he could always count on Xander to say something that made him either glare or hide a smile. Even if most of what the boy says is stupid, he's always good for a laugh. And a good spot of billiards.


While it may have started out with him merely tolerating Buffy's family and friends because he thought it might get him in good with Buffy herself- and because he knew it would crush her if something happened to one of them- Spike found that he actually cared for them. Thus, in an attempt to keep his Slayer’s friends and family safe during her absence, Spike had taken a majority of the patrolling upon himself.


Aside from his need for a spot of violence, he did not want them out there patrolling where anything could happen to them. He refused to allow the possibility of losing another member of the Scooby Gang to enter reality. Instead, he patrolled night after night and spent the rest of his time caring for Dawn and bonding with the rest of the group.


Now his Slayer had come back and they would not need him anymore. He felt a sting in his eyes when he came to that realization. Sure, he was more than happy to have Buffy back there. So happy, in fact, that were he cursed with a soul like the poof, he probably would have lost it the moment he first laid eyes upon her in the cemetery. Spike was also forced to come face to face with the fear that he would be cast back out of the inner circle now. With their Slayer back amongst the living, they would no longer need his muscle. Dawn wouldn't need a 'big brother' to take care of her. Red, Glinda, the Whelp and Demon Girl all had their real friend back, and the Watcher had a Slayer again.


What use would they have for a neutered, love sick, ex master vampire now?


"None." He said to the air around him with a scowl. But my Slayer is back. A small smile began to curve on his lips at that thought. And maybe I won't be kicked to the soddin' curb. She's different now and she's seen I am, too.


He lit up another cigarette and resumed his pacing, a maelstrom of thoughts speeding through his mind while he pondered how things were going to be from then on and he hoped that he would turn out to be right- that she had seen the change. Never once did he notice the small Slayer observing him from the kitchen window.


*****


Buffy quietly shut the door to Dawn's bedroom so she would not wake her sleeping sister, and began her trek down the stairs. She had only gone up to say a quick goodnight; had, instead, stayed and run soothing fingers through the teen’s tresses. Despite all the excitement of the evening, it had not taken long before Buffy’s gentle ministrations had lulled her sister to sleep. Once assured Dawn was indeed asleep, Buffy quickly tip-toed from the room and hurried down the stairs with the hope that Spike had not grown impatient and left.



There were things Buffy felt she needed to say; things she felt uncertain whether she should, or even could, say. The unexpected emotions and reactions she now experienced in regards to her mortal enemy turned reluctant ally left the Slayer dizzy with confusion- not to mention she was lacking in the clue department. After everything he had done for her sister while she was in Summerland, everything he had done for her friends- all because he had wanted to, not because he was getting anything out of it- yeah, she had to talk to him.



So... how do you start a conversation with your once mortal enemy turned pseudo friend whose been taking care of your pseudo family while you were dead and watching it all on some mystical TV? Buffy snorted to herself, Jeez, my life's just a big rubber ball of normal bouncing on an upside down staircase. She giggled as she pictured herself bouncing on a staircase like the one in the 'Labyrinth'. She let out what some might have considered a dreamy sigh, I've even got my own hunky Brit that wears tight pants.



What little time had been afforded ran out quickly as her hurried pace carried her downstairs and towards the chain-smoking vampire. Buffy stopped short when she reached the entrance to the kitchen, cartoon brakes squealing in her head as her last thought registered. Whoa! Ok, that came from where?



She could not deny the fact that Spike was attractive- would have to be blind not to see it- but it was still a little strange for her when she thought of the flippy flop her belly did when he was around since her return. For the longest time she had not experienced a belly that flopped or flipped. That it was Spike that inspired it was taking a little getting used to. A whole bucket of getting used to is more like it.



She started moving again, and came to yet another stop when she reached the kitchen door. Spike was pacing right outside her door. The way he looked, Buffy briefly wondered if he might wear down a path through the grass. The blond vampire always had so much extra energy that she had no clue how he could ever sit still. Actually, when she thought about it, he never really did sit still. He was always up and moving around, fiddling with stuff- usually stuff he should not be fiddling with- like Giles' old relics, statues and other very fragile, very expensive magickal tools.



Buffy just knew that was the main reason none of his hair-brained schemes ever worked. He was too impatient to sit and wait for the right moment. Their very first fight being all the evidence one needed. He had not been able to wait for the Feast of St. Vigeous; had instead stormed into the school with his duster flaring and swagger swaggering.



Buffy would never admit it to Spike, but she had been a little afraid when he burst through that window. He had appeared so confident and sure of himself that she had not been positive she would be able to take him. Luckily, her mom had taken care of that problem.

She smiled nostalgically at the memory of her mother whacking the master vampire over the head with an axe. You should never mess with a Summers woman, that's for sure. Even without Slayer powers we're feisty.



Buffy noticed Spike stop pacing and her inner musings came to a halt. To her, he appeared to be having a conversation with himself. From the wrinkled brow he sported, she did not think that it was a pleasant one. She watched when his mouth formed a word, but she had been unable to discern what he had said. Then he resumed his pacing, only this time with a small smile gracing his features.



She stood at the door for another moment or two doing her best to compose herself and collect her thoughts. For some reason, unbeknownst to the current inhabitants of planet Buffy, she found herself more and more nervous in the presence of Spike.



Well, she thought, maybe nervous isn't exactly the proper word for the twirling of the belly. I'm not really sure what it is, but I am sure that it’s strange to have a belly that twirls because of Spike.



Buffy took a deep, nerve settling breath, closed her eyes and turned the knob.


*****


Spike's inner tirade came to a halt when he heard the kitchen door creak open and small, Slayer-sized footsteps crossing the porch. He turned, blue eyes meeting and locking with dazzling green. An intense feeling of awe overcame him- she was actually there. She was back. Though he had been there, he still could not get his brain to wrap around that thought. He kept expecting to wake up in the basement only to face another day with her gone.



Yet she was there, not six feet from him, with the moonlight shining on her face and the halogen porch light illuminating her from the behind. He drank in every inch of her form like a desert Bedouin at an oasis. If he was staked at that very moment, he would dust a very happy vamp.



He was completely lost.



Buffy, in her own right, was lost too.



When she walked onto the porch, Spike turned to her and the look in his eyes had been enough to make her insides turn to jelly and her heart hammer in her chest. She had never been looked at that way in her entire life; not by Angel, not by Riley- not by anyone. She suddenly had the urge to be on the receiving end of that look everyday for the rest of her life. And we won't even try to figure out where that one came from. I give up on trying to figure out my brain. She chose to ignore the little voice inside her head telling her that was not her brain talking and it was not her brain that needed figuring out.



This wasn’t the first time Spike looked at her with love shining brightly in his eyes, but it was the first time she had ever allowed herself to see and accept it. She stopped at the edge of the porch, stepped onto the second step and spoke in a quiet voice, "Hi."



Spike smiled gently walking towards her, "'Lo luv."



She sat on the top step and wrapped her arms around her knees. "Some night, huh?"


Spike came around and sat next to her with his forearms resting on his thighs and his hands dangling. "Pet, I think that’s in the running for understatement of the year."



They both chuckled a bit and then it fell silent again. After a few moments of just sitting in comfortable silence Buffy's voice broke through the quiet night air.


"Thank you."



Spike was a bit taken aback by her gratitude. Of course, she had been acting differently, so maybe he should not have been so shocked, but the Slayer very rarely said thank you to anyone that was not a Scooby or family member. It was even rarer for her to say it to him. After a second or two of recovery time he responded and when he did his voice was gruff. "What for?"



She was still staring off into the distance when she answered. "For all of it. For everything. I saw what you did when I was up there. I saw how you acted, how you took care of Dawnie. How you patrolled every night even though you didn't have to and got nothing out of it."


Spike started to say something but thought better of it since Buffy was actually talking to him. He figured he should probably keep his mouth shut and let her have total control of the conversation.



Buffy noticed out of the corner of her eye that he opened his mouth to speak and was grateful he decided not to. There was no way she would have been able to keep her composure or the guts needed to continue. "I also saw how hard you took it." She swallowed hard.



Spike's eyes got really wide and he turned towards Buffy when the implications of what she said hit him. Sure, he heard her when she told everyone that she had been keeping tabs on everything going on in Sunnydale, but he had conveniently forgotten, or ignored, the fact that it probably meant she saw some of his sappier moments at her graveside. Suddenly embarrassed, he turned away from her and studied his boots.



"I didn't understand at first," she continued. "I mean, I'd heard you say you... cared... for me, but I didn't get it. I mean, you don't have a soul."


Spike cringed at that statement and Buffy immediately felt bad about making it, but not knowing what to say to cover it, since it was the truth, she forged ahead. "But then I saw the way you were with Dawn and the way you were with my friends, especially Xander and lemme tell ya- that alone was enough to make me question whether or not what I was seeing was the real thing. But it was," She began nervously playing with a piece of thread on the sweater she had put on upstairs. "It made me think back over the last few months, even the last few years, and take note of just exactly how much you've changed."



All traces of embarrassment were quickly replaced with heart soaring happiness. She noticed he had changed! In Spike's opinion, that was a huge step in the right direction- the direction he had wanted her to go towards since the moment he realized he was in love with her. He had wanted- hell, longed- for her to notice the changes, to realize what he had been trying to do. All for her. And she noticed! He hid his excitement as much as possible. Buffy seemed to be on a roll and he did not want her to stop.



Buffy, on the other hand, was still struggling. Struggling with what to say, how to say it and just all around doing a lot of wracking of the brain. She was getting ready to just lay it all out on the table. She was playing a round of truth or dare- not so much with the dare side of things. In the past she’d had no problems, whatsoever, telling Spike exactly what she thought. But now? She was finding it increasingly difficult to follow Whistler's advice and make her brain shut up.



Then she flashed back to the months she was gone. She flashed back to Spike's self inflicted torture and guilt over her death. The look in his eyes as he crouched at her grave when she was stuck. She flashed back to the look on his face when she stepped onto the porch only moments ago. Thinking of those things made her task easier.



"Everything I saw when I was up there made me realize how much you've changed. And," Buffy turned to Spike and waited for him to face her; when he did she met his eyes straight on, "it made me realize that maybe you are different. That maybe the whole soul having thing wasn't as much of a biggie as I thought. Not with you anyway."



By the time Buffy finished speaking, Spike had tears in his eyes and a look on his face that made Buffy want to cry too. He looked like someone who had just been told they won a million dollars. His face closely resembled that of a child on Christmas when they got the one thing they wanted most of all.



Spike sat in stunned silence for several minutes, unable to form a coherent thought, much less respond; just simply stared.



Under normal circumstances, a stare that lasted this long would be squicky to Buffy, but she found she could do nothing but return it. Since her return- even though it had not been that long ago- things, mainly Spike centered things, had been different. Different's one way of putting it. Different, strange, new, kinda cool. There are lots of words I could associate with this. Buffy thought to herself as she looked into his watery eyes.



Spike finally blinked, breaking the 'moment' between himself and Buffy. He shook his head slightly and spoke in a voice rough with emotion. "Buffy." He cleared his throat and fiddled with his pack of cigarettes. He placed one in his mouth and lit it. Exhaling the smoke, he finally resumed speaking. "Buffy, I don't even know what to say. I mean... I just... I dunno."



An amused smile broke out across Buffy's face. She cocked her head sideways and looked at Spike out of the corner of her eyes. "Wow. Twice in one night I've made the usually obnoxious, unable to shut his trap, can't keep his foot out of his mouth for his own good, 'I'm the Big Bad', vampire speechless. That's gotta be, like, a record or something. It's a moment to go down in infamy."



"Ha ha. Very funny, Slayer. You're just full of 'em tonight." He gave her a mock glare and lightly shoved her arm with his shoulder.



She seemed to preen a bit at his comment. "Yeah, well, ya know, I do always try my best. Can't do it halfway."



They both chuckled, a comfortable silence settling between them. To an outside observer the two blonds would have appeared to be two young people insecure as a result of developing feelings. They exchanged sideways glances and fidgeted with nonexistent threads and lint balls.



Finally Spike broke the silence again. "Well, I should prob'ly head to the crypt. Sky's looking a bit pink." He glanced up at the sky over the trees.



Buffy followed his gaze, "Right. Makes sense if you wanna stay un-dusty." She looked down at her lap and then sideways at Spike. "Or, you could, I dunno, only if you want, since you're here and all and you've been staying here all summer, you could always... stay... here. In the basement. I mean, you might as well." She seemed nervous as she waited for his answer.



Spike looked at her with eyes full of awe- again- and then shook his head smiling. So adorable. "Nah. Was only staying to help with the Bit, keep everyone safe and what all. But Big Sis and best buddy is back. I don't wanna infringe." He responded in a shy tone.



Buffy shook her head, "No. It's ok, really. There's no infringing to be had. 'Sides, you prob'ly won't make it in time anyway." She pointed to the sky which was growing lighter with every second that passed.



Spike looked to the sky again and realized Buffy was correct. It wasn’t like he wanted to argue anyway, he just did not know what to think about this new Buffy. Her actions toward him, the softer tone of her voice, the playful edge to her statements, the being close to him intentionally- all of it- was new. Not that I'm not enjoying it, Slayer's acting right friendly. He just knew it would not take much in the raising of hopes department and that was his fear. Once she gets over the whole resurrection bit, she'll be back to normal and wantin' to play a few rounds of 'kick the Spike'. And aside from all of those very valid points, he did not want to be that far away from her just yet. Being in the basement while she was on the second floor was distance enough. All the way across town in his crypt while she was at her house? That was asking for a bit much.



So he decided to take her up on her offer and stay. "Alright. Guess that makes more sense than trying to play hide and seek with Mr. Sunshine."



Buffy nodded her head with finality. "Good. It's all settled then. I knew you'd see things my way. I almost always get what I want."



Spike looked at her with soft eyes. Speaking softly he said, "You should know by now, Buffy. Anything you want or need from me, you got it."



She looked deeply into his eyes again, for the umpteenth time that night. "Yeah, I know." They held gazes for a moment.



Spike took a deep breath and exhaled loudly slapping his hands against his thighs and stood. "Right. So, time to get some kip. You must be knackered and no doubt your buds'll show up here bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in a few hours."



Buffy stood also. "You're right. I am tired. Who woulda thought coming back from the dead would wear a girl out?"



They walked across the porch and through the front door. "And I'm sure the whole busting wood and digging through six feet of earth has nothing to do with it at all."



Buffy dismissively waved her hand. "Pssht. Nah, that was a piece of cake. Total cake walk type situation."



She smiled. He smiled. It was new. It was good.



Spike reached the door to the basement and Buffy stopped in the entryway of the kitchen. There was a mutual shuffling of feet and nervous glances, but neither moved.



Jeez, Buffy thought. Ridiculous much? You'd think we were on our first date and he was walking me to the door.



"So..." Spike said.



"Yeah..." Buffy responded.



A few more seconds of silence.



Buffy cleared her throat. "Guess I'll see you tomorrow?"



It was a question and Spike did not miss the underlying hint of hesitation. "Yup. Tomorrow." He turned to go down the stairs and then turned back to face Buffy. She had just started towards the foyer making her way to the stairs, but when he spoke she turned back to him. "If I'm still sleeping when your mates get here, wake me will you? Don't wanna miss all the prophecy talk."



Buffy nodded. "'Course."



He nodded once and turned back towards the darkness of the basement and she turned towards the stairs. Before he descended he turned and took one final glance at her fleeting back, then made his way down.



Before Buffy began her ascension she turned and glanced at Spike just as he went through the door. She turned again and made her way up the stairs hoping that with everything that had happened to her recently she'd be able to turn off her brain, gag it, tape it shut- whatever it took- so that she'd be able to sleep.



tbc....


make me more in love.... review..... please?
CHAPTER TEN by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Thank you to all you lovely and loyal readers and reviewers! Ya'll are awesome beyond the telling of it! I appreciate ya'll bearing with me while it's taking forever for updates. Just got new betas, so we should be up and running again! Hope you enjoy! And review, review, review.... please??
Thanks to Ria for beta'ing this chappie for me! You rock!
Chapter Ten




Glowing golden light. Swirling ribbons of green. Gorgeous waves of blue.
A medallion flipping through the air.



Buffy's eyes popped open as a noise from downstairs woke her. She lay there staring at the ceiling for a few moments. Back from the dead less than a day and already I'm having wonderfully confusing Slayer dreams.


Pots clanked down below and a very familiar, feminine someone screeched causing Buffy to smile and sit up. She pushed the covers off of her legs and swung them over the side of her bed. Something else clattered downstairs and she rolled her eyes, reaching for her robe. Dawnie in the kitchen- dwellers of the Summers' household and citizens of Sunnydale beware.


She got off of the bed, shuffled across the floor, and opened her bedroom door. Then she made her way to the bathroom. After doing the 'just woke up' task and washing her hands, she examined her face in the mirror. Somehow in spite of the fact that her body had been under six feet of dirt and trapped inside a wooden box less than twenty-four hours ago, and in spite of only getting a couple of hours of sleep, she looked well rested.


Radiant probably wouldn't be too far reaching. I kinda look like one of the aggravatingly clear-skinned girls on the Neutrogena commercials.


She smiled at her reflection, applied some face moisturizer, which caused her to glow even more, and pulled her hair back into a loose ponytail. She smiled at herself again. Dwellers of the Summers' household and citizens of Sunnydale beware- Buffy's back. She giggled and walked out of the bathroom, back into her room, opened the closet doors and proceeded to stand there staring for several minutes.


Why she was worried about what to wear she would not have been able to tell you. The fact that there's an extremely sexy, boyishly shy at times, blond in my house has absolutely nothing to do with it. Honest. She started absently flipping through the clothes.


And the fact that the aforementioned extremely sexy, boyishly shy at times, blond is also a creature of the night has nothing to do with the other nothing.


She made a sour puss/confused face and stopped clanging hangers as she came to the realization that she did talk funny.


That didn't even make sense to me and it came from my brain. A snort of laughter erupted from within and she shook her head rolling her eyes. She abandoned her search of the contents of her closet in favor of the simpler items found in her chest of drawers. She snagged a plain white tank top and a pair of black track pants with a zipper all the way down both legs. Buffy turned and walked to the bed, pulled her pajamas off and slipped on her clothes for the day.


She checked herself one more time in the mirror, exited her bedroom and made her way down the stairs towards the sounds coming from the kitchen, wondering if a particular vampire was still sleeping the sleep of the dead.


Since that's what vampires are usually doing at this time of day.


Just as she reached the bottom of the stairs the smoke alarm sounded followed by an ear piercing squeal from the littlest Summers- or youngest anyway- and Buffy ran the rest of the way to the kitchen.


_________________________________________________________________________________



Streams of luminous green. Vibrant pulses of blue. Rays of golden effulgence.
A two sided seal falling through the atmosphere.



Spike awoke with a start as he heard a clatter overhead.


Well, that one made bugger all sense. He thought as he remembered the few seconds of his dream. He rubbed his eyes with the heels of his hands trying to wake up.


Pots crashed together and Dawn squealed above his head causing a wince as it reached his supernaturally sensitive ears and a smile as he envisioned what the scene above must look like. The Bit and her culinary tendencies. He chuckled and sat up on his cot. The memories of the night before came back to him and he laughed fully and smiled wide. Guess I didn't wake up in the basement to yet another day without Buffy, after all.


He stood on the cold concrete floor sock less and unaffected by its chill. Having no body temperature was certainly one of the perks to being a vampire. Even though it had been a hundred years since he'd been human, he still vividly remembered that never was anything quite like that very first shock of ice to the feet when you first set them down on uncarpeted flooring.


He walked to the sink next to the washer and splashed water on his face. The temperature was not enough of a shock to the system to wake him up, that had already been established- temps were a moot point- but he had to try something. It was unnatural for his type to be up at this early hour. No matter how many times he did it over the summer- he still could not get used to it. Ungodly’s what it is. Which I guess works since I'm not one for godly things.


Spike made his way over to his makeshift 'closet'- which consisted of several pairs of identical black jeans, several sets of identical black t-shirts and a few red button up shirts all hanging from the pipes. His eyes swept over his two toned wardrobe and he sighed. I should really do something about this.


He remembered at that moment that the clothes he had nicked for his 'new look' were there somewhere. Now somewhere was the operative word. I haven't the foggiest of foggy clues where where is.


Spike scowled and shook his head. He was really hanging with the Scoobies too much- he was starting to talk like them and that was not something he wanted at all. He was always the first one to point out just exactly how ridiculous they all sounded.


He shook his head, scowl still firmly in place, and rummaged through a pile of clothes underneath his 'closet'. He located the khaki cargo pants and slipped them on, then continued his search. He found a gray wife beater that was snug against his torso showing every detail of his muscles, and slid it on also.


It was times like these when the perks of vampirism were nonexistent. Without the benefit of a reflection- and the absence of any mirrors- he had no clue if he looked good enough to be in the presence of the Slayer. He halted his search and looked off into the distance at nothing. The blonde beauty two floors up took all available space in his mind. An enamored smile appeared on his face when he closed off all other senses and sounds and centered on just Buffy. He could hear her milling about in her bedroom. He could hear the steady beat of her heart and it was the most glorious sound he had ever heard.


Spike shook his head, clearing his thoughts, and picked up a black button up shirt to go over his tank. He climbed the stairs, and was flipping his shirt every which way in an attempt to find the arm hole, when the smoke detector went off and Dawn screeched. He ran the rest of the way up the stairs with the shirt forgotten in his hand.


______________________________________________________________________________



Dawn searched for the broom- an excellent tool for smoke fanning- opened the window, turned on the fan over the stove and removed the skillet, all at the same time as Buffy and Spike simultaneously made it to the kitchen.


What happened?” They both asked frantically.


Dawn jumped, startled by their voices, and flung the pan in the sink. She turned to face them and blocked the sink with her body. She waved her arms behind her when she noticed smoke out of the corner of her eye.


"Nothing." She responded succinctly, looking from one to the other.


Buffy raised her right eyebrow and said unbelievingly, "Uh-huh."


Spike raised his left eyebrow and said unbelievingly, "Right."


"What?" She asked with feigned innocence. At their penetrating looks, her shoulders slumped. "I was just... and then... there was sizzling and smoke... and it was... just... bad."


Buffy simply cracked a smile and nodded agreeably walking towards the island.


Spike fully walked through the door to the basement and closed it behind him. He lifted the hand holding the shirt and pointed to the stove. "Bit," he began, "how many times have I told you not to try anything new unless I'm in here with you?"


He walked up to the wall that housed the screaming smoke alarm and swatted it off the wall with ease. When it disconnected from the wall, the screeching came to an end. "This is the third one this month. Next one is coming out of your stash."


Dawn let out a 'pshaw' sound and looked at him like he was a doofus. "Why should I wait for you to be here? You're the flammable one- not me."


Spike bent down and retrieved the broken pieces of the smoke alarm. "We're all flammable Bit, I just happen to be more so."


"Whatever. Your chances of becoming a crispy fritter are far greater than mine." She countered. "And I am not buying the next one. You're the one who keeps busting them. Not me."


"Yeah? Well, I wouldn't have to keep bustin' 'em if you weren't prone to incinerating all things of the food variety."


The entire exchange between the other two inhabitants of the Summers' home went unheard by the Slayer. On her way to the stool, she stopped mid-step, and ogled. When Spike moved away from the door and raised his arm, Buffy was lost. She looked at the cut of his bicep and followed the expanse of skin to his shoulder, then down his chest.


Oh. Her eyes glazed over as she admired the tight fitting cotton tank top and the perfect way it fit his body. Muscles. Ripply. Ripply rippling muscles and... oh... chest. She followed every move and practically drooled the entire time. She watched the muscles of his back; she admired his posterior as he bent down and everything when he came back up. She watched his lips when he formed words, but she heard nothing.


She suddenly thought of those tacky scenes in the cheesy teen movies she used to watch in high school. The girl sitting in the classroom, the hot guy walking in, time slowing down, the 'oh god' factor- yeah, she experienced it all.


Unbeknownst to Buffy, Spike and Dawn were both looking at her with questions in their eyes. Along with the questioning in Spike's eyes, there was also a hint of timidity; Dawn simply had a 'what the heck is wrong with you?' look.


Buffy remained lost in her thoughts and admiration of the perfect male specimen that stood in her kitchen. "Mmm." She unconsciously 'mmm'd' out loud. His hair's all tousled and curly again and he's got that shy thing going on and the rippling.


Spike immediately turned fully towards Buffy, the destroyed alarm forgotten. She was staring at him and her mouth watered. Under normal circumstances, he would have straightened his back, pulled up his shoulders and lifted his head high- he knew he was a good-looking bloke- but this was different. This was Buffy. So instead, he lowered his head and looked at her through his lashes adopting an even more timid air.


Dawn stood back with her arms crossed and looked at the two with satisfaction written all across her features and a knowing smile. After a moment or two of watching the show and realizing that they were not going to be snapping out of it anytime soon, she cleared her throat. Spike glanced at her, at Buffy, and then turned back to 'inspect' his destruction. She snickered at him and looked at her sister. No change. "Buffy?"


"Mmh?" She grunted distracted.


"Buffy." Dawn said it again a little louder.


That seemed to work. Buffy shook her head and looked at her sister, "Huh?" she asked confused.


"Where were ya?" The younger asked the elder.


"What? Nowhere. I wasn't anywhere. But here."


"Sure."


"What? It's true. I was here." Her eyes flicked over to Spike for a half a second and then back to her sister.


"Seems to me you were all 'tra la la' off in some daydream land for, like, forever." Dawn countered, walked to the island and leaned against it across from Buffy.


Buffy snorted. "So wasn't." She stood up straighter. "And so not what should be the topic of discussion. Why, exactly, were you trying to burn down the house?"


Dawn stomped her foot. "I was not trying to burn down the house. I was just hungry."


"So eat some cereal." Spike said and joined them at the island.


Dawn waved her hand in his direction. "Cereal's boring."


"'Course it's boring. There's no smoke or pretty fire when you make cereal." Spike sarcastically replied.


"Hey!" Dawn defensively cried. "There was no fire."


Spike snorted, "Yeah. This time." He knowingly looked at her.


Dawn's eyes widened, "Oh! That's unfair. Last time was a fluke."


Buffy spoke up before it could go any farther. "Ok, aaand cut!" She knife chopped her hand through the air. "I don't really wanna hear about the kitchen stunts of summer past." She looked at each of them. "You guys are just scary."


Dawn giggled and Spike stood up straighter and they spoke in unison.


"Bloody right."


"Damn skippy."


Spike and Buffy both turned to Dawn and simultaneously reprimanded her.


"Dawn, language!"


"Bit, mouth!"


Dawn rolled her eyes. "Jeez. Sorry mom. Sorry dad." She grumbled in good nature.


In the next moment the front door opened then closed and the telephone rang. Dawn went for the phone and Buffy and Spike turned towards the direction of a young male voice.


Xander's voice floated through the dining room from the foyer and came towards them. "Greetings to ex dead, recently resurrected best friends; ex green glow-worm keys turned hormone bomb and ex master vamps who are currently impotent. I have Krispy Kreme-y goodness for all those attending the Scooby meeting." He walked into the kitchen with his almost always present bag of donuts and floppy hair, sporting a huge grin. He took in his surroundings and sniffed the air. "Ah. Chef Dawnie strikes again." He indicated to the smoke alarm on the counter with his chin. "Another bites the dust, huh?" He asked Spike smirking.


Spike shrugged. "What can I say whelp? It was givin' me lip."


Xander raised his eyebrows. "Anyhoo, as I was saying, th-"


But he was cut off as Dawn hung up the phone. "Meeting at the shop for the research-a-palooza, like, nowish."


"Hey! That's what I was gonna say!" Xander whined.


Dawn looked like she honestly felt bad. "Sorry Xan. Didn't mean to steal your thunder. Wanna leave the room, come back and start over?"


"Oh you're funny. Little miss funny britches." He shook his head and waved his hands around. "Nope. I'm over it."


Buffy cleared her throat and when everyone looked at her she waved. "Yeah, hi. What's going on?" She looked to Dawn and Xander for answers.


"What she said," Spike added pointing to Buffy.


Xander walked up to Buffy and placed his arm around her shoulder. "Why, fair Buffster, there's prophecies to find and an inevitable apocalypse a brewing. Scoobies must assemble."


"Oh. That." Buffy slumped on her stool.


"Yeah. That." Xander looked at her strangely, as did Spike and Dawn.


"Buffy, aren't you curious? I mean, it's about you. Why you're back and what you're gonna hafta do." Dawn asked, surprised by her sister's nonchalance and slumpiness.


Spike studied the Slayer's face intently, but said nothing. By this point, he was almost positive there were some things Buffy had omitted from her tale. The unsettled feeling he had experienced the night before returned to his stomach.


"No, I'm curious. I'm totally curious girl, just not looking forward to lots of reading of lots of books and lots of headaches from looking at lots of small words in lots of books." Buffy grumbled.


"What?" Dawn asked shocked. "Research is totally fun."


"About that-" Buffy began but Dawn quickly cut her off.


"No, no. No time to chat. Gotta get to the shop. Willow and Tara are on their way there now and Anya and Giles are already there." She started towards the foyer and the stairs. "C'mon guys. Getta move on. Don't wanna keep 'em waiting." And with that she disappeared around the corner and up the stairs.


"That girl. I swear," Buffy stated.


"Yeah, she's a handful," Spike agreed. He looked at Buffy. "But she's also right." With that he headed to the basement to retrieve his boots.


Buffy watched him go through the door and continued to look at the space he had previously occupied.


Xander stood watching her. He thought back to a conversation he'd had with Anya the night before. Maybe she was right. Oh god.


He remembered:

-----
Lying in their bed Anya suddenly spoke. "Just wait, pretty soon, Buffy will be Spike's booty poodle."


"Anya!" Xander said horrified. "Don't say that."


Anya shrugged, "It's true. Just watch."


"No, no, no. No booties or poodles of any sort for Buffy and Spike." He vehemently protested.


Anya harrumphed, "Mmkay sweetie, we'll see."

-----

Buffy's voice broke through his thoughts. "I'll just go get my shoes and then we'll head out."


"Sure thing Bufferini." Xander smiled expelling the scary thoughts of Buffy and Spike and booties and poodles. Then he dug into the bag to sneak a quick snack before everyone else ate the good kinds.


Barely five minutes, and three donuts, later Xander met the other three in the living room. "Alrighty, everyone ready to saddle up?" He asked them collectively and then focused on Spike. "Does Spikey have his blankey?"


"Sod off, Harris." Spike replied and then covered himself with the blanket Xander had mentioned.


Xander opened the door, let Dawn and Buffy exit first and then made his way to the car. He opened the door behind the driver's seat and then opened his own and got in.


Spike locked the door, took a deep, unneeded, breath and made a bee line for the open car door.


________________________________________________________________________________________


The car ride to the Magic Box was normal, like any other car ride to anywhere else. Except for the fact that the young man driving said car had once been 'infected' with essence de Hyena; the young female in the passenger's seat had super human strength and had just been returned from the dead by mystical 'Higher Ups'; the youngest girl sitting in the back was a mystical key to dimensions for thousands of years turned 14 year old hormone bomb; and there was a vampire huddled underneath a blanket, sitting on the floor behind the driver's seat.


Oh yeah- all was normal in Normalsville.


During the time spent in the car, Dawn gave Buffy detailed 'highlights' from her summer. She told her about her summer school classes. How she was glad summer school was finally over, because she actually had three weeks of no school before the normal school year started, and that just wasn't long enough of a summer. She told her about sleepovers at Janice's. She spent several moments describing all the cute boys that had been in her classes and those comments were accompanied by obligatory girly squeals and excited hand gestures. Buffy listened to her sister's recall of the last few months with rapt interest. Even though it was not really her fault that she had missed it all, she still felt bad for not being there with her sister and her friends.


Xander talked about his job, how he had gotten a promotion and got to wear 'snazzy grown up clothes' to work now. He talked about how good Anya was doing at the shop. For some reason Buffy could not figure though, he seemed to shy away from anything to do with his and Anya's relationship, offering Buffy very few details about it's progress.


Spike, on the other hand, pretty much did nothing but grumble from his spot. He complained about everything under the sun, and then complained about the sun itself. Needless to say, he did not find the position he was in a comfortable one. He was continuously shifting his body around trying to find a way to alleviate his discomfort, but a solution could not be found. So strings of curses, huffs and sighs came from beneath gray fabric causing Dawn to giggle at the image of the 'Big Bad' pouting under his 'blankey'.


After the hundredth failed attempt at repositioning himself, he moved past aggravated and straight to pissed off. He made one final exaggerated 'wiggle' which caused him to slam into Xander's seat, causing Xander to slam forward onto the steering wheel. The car jerked to the right a little violently and Buffy and Dawn screeched as women are obligated to do when a car does that. Once Xander had the car back on track, he reached around and smacked Spike on the head.


"Ow." Spike grumbled.


"How many times have we gone over this Spike? No extreme body maneuvering allowed when you're behind my seat." Xander scolded.


"Yes, I know we've had this conversation you great git. You wrote up a bloody handbook, made me study it and then wanted to quiz me on it. I've not forgotten. But," He sighed and then continued, almost whining, "You try sittin' back here stuffed behind the seat in the bloody floorboard with a soddin' blanket over you."


"See, that's where we differ Spike. Seein' as I don't make with the sun allergies, I don't have to endure that. Either way, we've had this convo. No slamming into me while I'm driving. You're the only one in the car who can't die in a car crash." Xander reached behind him again and smacked Spike. "Don't do it again. Or I'll be forced to pull this car over."


"Oooh, you scare me Stay Puft. Like you could do anything to me anyhow." Spike taunted. "And I could die in a car crash, or have you conveniently forgotten the whole flammable bit us vamps carry about with us? And stop hittin' me ya ponce."


"No. And no, I haven't forgotten anything either. I know you're flammable, that's why what I could do to you would be so funny. I could very easily pull that blanket off of you." Xander countered with a smug tone. "And stop calling me a ponce ya baby."


"You wouldn't dare pull this off me." Spike responded.


"Just try me blondie. Just try me." Xander reached around one more time and smacked him for good measure.


"Bloody... Stop it already!" The blond vamp childishly whined.


Xander giggled and turned to Buffy with a smile. "I love it. He can't hit back without a little sizzle action with a side headache."


Buffy just smiled and shook her head. She turned back to Dawn. "Have they been like this all summer?"


Her sister vigorously nodded her head, "Oh yeah. It gets worse too. Just wait."


Buffy turned back towards the window and watched the scenery pass her by. She had a smile plastered to her face that seemed permanent. Sure, she missed her mom, but it was good to be home. Seeing her friends again, seeing her sister again, Giles, even Spike. Almost especially Spike.


That was a fact that was still in the process of wigging her out. But she was making progress; the wig factor wasn't quite as high as it had been. The fact that her friends were accepting him and he was joking with them all the time was helping with that. It always helped her to not be attracted to the extremely sexy blond Brit when her friends hated his guts. If they were nice to him and he was nice to them, she wouldn't really have much reason to ignore the new feelings concerning Spike. If this kept up though, she just knew she was going to be in trouble. Ever since the 'Will Be Done' spell Willow wonkied up, she'd found it hard to ignore the sexiness of Spike.

Especially since those really luscious, yummy, full, Spike lips have been against mine. Now with the gang making nicey-nice and Spike making nicey-nice, it was becoming increasingly difficult to ignore. Just like it was becoming increasingly difficult for her to keep 'Naughty Buffy' quiet. No more thoughts of luscious, yummy, full, Spike lips. That'll only put you in a bad place!


Before she had even realized it, they were pulled up in front of the Magic Box, sitting at the curb. She shook her head, breaking out of her reverie, and unbuckled her seatbelt.


"Alrighty troops, this is where this bus stops. Thank you for traveling with 'Xander International' and we hope you'll come back soon." Xander quipped.


"How can you be a bus and international Xander?" Dawn queried from her spot in the backseat.


"I have many, many secrets young one."


"Are you in the car park again Whelp? Or are you actually gonna give me a fightin' chance to survive the big orange by lettin' me out up front?" Spike asked from his still scrunched position.


"Why in the name of all that's sacred would I do that Blankey Boy?" Xander asked. "I always do get a kick outta you makin' a run for it."


"Of all the..." Spike began to ready himself for the dangerous, flame causing trek inside. "After all a bloke does... Bloody ungrateful..."


Buffy and Dawn both stifled giggles at the male's comments. Then Buffy decided she would take some pity on the vampire. He wasn't exactly travelling in first class accommodations after all. "Xander..." She gave him a reproachful look.


"What?" He asked nonplussed. "It's funny." He answered with a giggle.


Spike finally poked his head out from under his cover to gauge the distance to the Magic Box door. "Oh."


They were sitting directly in front of the shop with hardly any sun to race through. Spike scowled at Xander's antics and slammed into the brunet's seat with his arm one last time, just for the principle. "Sod."


"Loser." Xander retorted.


Spike pulled his blanket tight around his body and opened the car door. "One of these days boy, you're gonna regret that you pulled so many pranks."


"Yeah, sure. And someday soon I'm gonna be President too."


Spike got out of the car and made a run for the door, blanket a smokin' and mouth a swearin'.


Xander looked at Buffy, who was watching the vampire with a tiny smile. "Ready to get started on the prophecy discoverin', Buffster?"


Buffy turned to her friend and rolled her eyes. "Oh yeah, I'm just oozing anticipation."


Dawn opened her door and got out of the car. "C'mon Buffy. It can't be all that bad, can it? I mean, you're all stronger and have an even higher purpose than the first higher purpose you had... before."


Buffy joined her sister on the sidewalk. "I'm kinda sick of being higher purpose girl, Dawnie. That road always leads to spooky badness."


Xander joined the sisters and placed an arm across each of their shoulders, a donut box in each hand. "Maybe it won't be spooky badness this time. Who knows? You could wind up getting something you really want with this. Or living happily ever after this time, instead of dying. Who knows...?"


"Yeah. Who knows," Buffy quietly answered.






tbc.....
CHAPTER ELEVEN by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer are owned by Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and Fox studios. This story is not meant to infringe upon anyone's rights, only to entertain.

Author's Note: Thanks to Ria! You're an awesome beta, huge, mondo, supersized thanks to you sista! Thanks for all the reviews guys! You have no idea what they do for me! Keep 'em coming! Next update shouldn't take too terribly long! .
CHAPTER ELEVEN-



The scene as Buffy, Dawn and Xander entered the Magic Box was much like it had been the days before she'd jumped from the tower. Books were spread on every surface available, coffee cups were placed sporadically throughout, and the other members of the Scooby Gang were perched over their respective research devices. Giles was in front of the bookcase that housed the books not for purchase, searching for even more to add to the ever growing piles. Tara and Willow were seated at the table, sitting closely together. Tara was pouring over several large tomes all at once while Willow searched the web with her fingers crossed. Anya was standing guard over the cash register in the event that a customer came through the door, but had a book on the counter she was 'skimming' over at the same time. And Spike had already lit a cigarette and was walking back and forth between the humans, glancing over shoulders and asking questions.


Dawn and Xander both broke away from Buffy as they made it through the door. Xander headed straight for his fiancé for a 'hello' kiss and Dawn joined Tara and Willow at the table, reaching for the closest book with much enthusiasm. Buffy took a moment to absorb her surroundings. She'd actually missed this. She noticed Spike's actions and smiled, remembering that she'd seen him do this exact thing while she was watching 'SunnyD TV' in Summerland with her mom and Whistler.


"Greetings fellow Scoobs! I come bearing gifts of Krispy Kreme-y goodness." Xander called as he walked towards Anya and quickly kissed her.


Giles looked up from his perusal of the 'Daggarnthor Codex'. "Ooh, did you get any jellies?"


"But of course." Xander answered in an awful French accent as he moved towards Giles and dramatically presented the Watcher with the box housing the jelly and custard filled pastries.


"And powdery?" Willow asked from her spot, hope evident in her voice.


"How could I possibly forget my Willow's favorite?" He asked as he presented her with the other box containing the plain and powdered sugar pastries.


"Mmm. Nummies for our tummies." Willow proclaimed, grabbing a donut from the box with a smile.


Tara gave her girlfriend a sideways glance and commented. "Sweets for the sweet, right?" Willow blessed her with a smile and put her forehead against the blonde's.


"I am not offended by Xander calling you 'his Willow', Willow." Anya called from the counter. "Just so you don't worry."


Willow looked at the blonde capitalist strangely. "Yeah. Thanks for clearing that up. 'Cuz I was so worried there for a sec."


Spike took a look around the shop at the younglings going about their everyday business and quipping, and then turned his eyes to his Slayer, whom had still gone unnoticed, standing on the steps. "Well, hello Buffy! How are you feelin' today pet?" He said in a loud, booming voice, trying to catch the attention of the others. When they all looked up with surprised faces he glared and added, "How quickly they forget." They all turned, in unison, and gave the Slayer sheepish looks.


There was a chorus of 'Sorry Buffy's and 'Hey's from the members of the group that hadn't been in the car with the Slayer.


She simply shrugged her shoulders and walked fully into the shop. "Hey guys." She reached the table and took a seat, everyone seeming to gravitate there in her wake. "Don't go actin' all wiggy on account of me. Go about your days as you have been. There's no need to treat me any differently than before." She graced them all with a dazzling smile.


A smile which made Spike look on in amazement. One, it was Buffy and he loved to see her smile. Two, it just went to show how much the girl could actually handle being thrown at her. Who knew so much strength and resilience could be contained in one tiny little girl? Gods I love that girl.

And that directed his thoughts to this new prophecy brewing. So far, they had nothing. But he knew there was something. There was so much Buffy didn't say in what she said the night before. Dependin' on these gits to find out what’s up'll be a ruckus and a half. Prob'ly hafta crack open a book or two m'self if I wanna find anything soon. He knew the Slayer and her friends could find out anything when they wanted to. Just tends to take 'em longer 'cuz they spend so much time gabbin' with each other instead of keepin' their beaks in the books like they should.


Buffy looked collectively at the group gathered. "So, what do we have? Anything?"


Giles took his glasses off of his face and began to polish them. "We've been doing our best to research since you first mentioned the prophecy to Willow and Spike, but until last night, we hadn't much to go on."


"I'm sure we'll find something Buffy." Willow tried to reassure the Slayer. "Especially since the new info you gave us last night." She smiled at her best friend, hoping it was as encouraging as she wanted it to be.


"What they're trying to say is, we've got nothing. A big fat, heapin' bowl of nothing," Anya offered from behind Xander's seated form.


Everyone's shoulders slumped, save Buffy and Spike, when Anya spoke the truth. There wasn't much point in trying to reassure the Slayer when she would find out that they had nothing soon enough anyway.


"Yeah," Xander agreed. "We've got nada. Zip. Zilch. We've got empty omelets. Enchiladas with no meat or cheese. We don't even have air, 'cuz air is at least something.”


"I'm not worried." Buffy said, turning the tables and trying to reassure her friends. "We always find what we need to find. And this time'll be no different than the others. We'll find what we need to find when we find it."


Again, Spike could do nothing but look at her in amazement. She just happened to glance up at him this time. Catching his soft eyes and small smile she felt a blush creeping up. God she thought exasperated. Can we quit with the high school girl act please?

She was keeping the hope alive that one day soon, a simple glance from Spike wouldn't cause quite this big a chemical reaction within her, as it had been doing since her return. I mean, it can't last forever. Right? She broke the gaze with the vampire when she heard her Watcher speaking to her.


"Buffy, I don't suppose you would go over, again, what Whistler said to you? Concerning this," he glanced at a piece of paper on the table and read from it. “'Chosen twice returned' and 'child twice reverted' bit, would you?" He finished glancing over at her.


She shrugged. "I can try, but I honestly don't know anything else." Her eyes darted in Spike's direction for a fraction a second, but no one seemed to notice. Except Spike, since he very rarely ever took his eyes off the Slayer when in her presence, but he kept quiet.


"Well, the first thing we have to figure out is whether or not the prophecy is talking about a child or a Childe." Anya offered in an off handed manner while idly flipping through a random book.


Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at her, expecting her to continue. When she, instead, continued to flip through the book, Xander cleared his throat. "Ahn?"


She looked up with a bored look painted across her face. "Hm?"


He turned sideways to face her fully, placing an arm on the table. "Whadya mean, honey?"


Anya shrugged. "Is it about a child or Childe? That's what we need to figure out first, then we can go from there."


"And there's a difference?" Xander asked leading.


"Sure."


Everyone continued to stare at the ex-demon. She looked back down at the book continued to flip pages.


"And that is?" Willow asked.


Anya finally brought her attention away from the book and looked at each person at the table. "You can't be serious." When they continued to look at her blankly, save Spike and Giles, she snorted rather unlady-like. "You've all been fighting vampires for how long? And you don't have a clue what I'm talking about?"


"Of course." Giles breathed as he got up from the table and headed towards the bookshelf. "How could I have overlooked that?"


Anya shrugged. "Seems rather obvious to me. You weren't thinking. Some Watcher you are."


Giles shot her a glare but otherwise ignored her.


"Okay, for those of us still in 'The Land of Huh?'... What're you guys talking about?" Xander asked befuddled.


"They're talking about a Childe, dimwit," Spike snarked.


"Yeah, okay, not helping," Xander grumbled.


"A Childe? With an 'e'?" Spike asked with his eyebrow arched. "Have any of the lot of you, aside from the Watcher, ever actually researched the things you kill every night?"


Willow spoke up defensively at that. "Of course we have. Why would you-"


Spike snorted. "You obviously haven't." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a cigarette. He stuck it in his mouth and lit it then resumed speaking. "In the vampire family you have Sires, Childer, Fledglings and Minions."


"Okay... And?" Xander prompted for more information.


Spike rolled his eyes and blew out a big puff of smoke, sighing loudly, "Okay, I'll break it down for the lack brains that are present." He began ticking off on his fingers as he spoke. "The Master sired Darla; she was his Childe. Darla sired Angelus; he was her Childe. Angelus sired Dru; she is his Childe. Dru sired me, but because of her mental instability she didn't quite perform the blood bond properly, so I'm her Childe and I'm also Angelus' because he finished up the job. Although, technically, I'm his Grand-Childe." He took a hit off his cigarette and inhaled deeply before continuing. "Childer, when sired, are given more of their sire's blood. It creates a stronger bond, a blood bond, 'tween the two, and in 'ffect the entire family. Fledglings are simply newly risen vamps, not Childer, not Minions, and they usually don't last long. Minions are lackey vamps. Sired simply for grunt work, so they last longer because the Sire dunn't wanna be troubled with makin' even more gophers. But Childers are completely different."


"Yes," Anya agreed. "Childers and Sires have a 'link' between them also. A result of the blood bond. It allows Sires to sense when something is wrong with one of their Childer. And there are usually only a few Childers in a family, like Spike's, because they're the 'special' ones." She made air quotation marks. "They're held in high regard."


Willow swung her gaze from Anya to Spike. "You have a link with Angel?" She asked curious.


"That's gotta suck a septic tank," Xander offered Spike, with a hint of sympathy in his voice.


"Yeh." Spike snorted. "Much as it pains me to be linked with the Wonder Vamp, 'Ve got one." He shrugged his shoulders. "Good thing 'bout it though? The strength of the link lessons over the years if you don't use it, so it's not so strong between us. After he got all souled up and broody, he didn't want anything to do with any of us."


"So you don't have a link with King Mopey then?" Xander asked.


Spike rolled his eyes. "I have a link, it's jus' not strong."


"Still sucks one," Xander said, shrugging, to which Spike nodded.


"And Dru?" Willow asked.


Spike looked at her and nodded. "Yeah."


Xander's eyes got wide, "Wow. You have links with Angie and Psycho? That sucks way more than a big one."


Buffy finally spoke up. "Can you guys please stop calling Angel names? What are you guys? Ten?" The sternness in her voice was belied by the small smile she couldn't hide.


"Anyway," Dawn said in a loud voice causing the four members of the group involved in the conversation to look properly chastised. "Okay," She said. "So how would a Childe have anything to do with Buffy's prophecy?" She asked from her perch on the loft stairs, in an attempt to get everyone back on track. She rolled her eyes when she realized what she said, "Well, okay, aside from the obvious; a Childe being a vamp and her being the Slayer. What else?"


"Yeah, I mean, how are we supposed to know where to find out what type of child, er Childe, whatever it's referring to? How do we know if it has anything to do with vamps or babies?" Willow asked Giles.


"Extreme amounts of research?" He offered.


"At least we can keep an eye out for either? Make it a little easier. Maybe?" Tara gently offered trying to keep the optimism in the group.


Suddenly the idea of extreme amounts of research didn't excite Willow, or any one else for that matter. Even Dawn was feeling the weight of the unknown.


Buffy, who had kept quiet for the most part during the entire exchange between the others, began to wonder if there was even more than the more, when it came to her mom and Whistler being so curious about her feelings towards a certain blond vampire. Doesn't mean anything. Just because it might be talking about a Childe, as in vamp type, that doesn't mean it has anything to do with Spike. Nothing. Not even a dollop. I mean, how many vamp kids are there anyway? Doesn't mean its him just cuz mom and Whistler were large with me being nice to Spike. Buffy was trying to rationalize the whole thing inside her head and even to her it sounded weak. She looked across the room and caught Spike's eye. He seemed to see straight through her and she had a feeling that he might know there was a more.


____________________________________________________________________


Buffy looked up from the book she was reading and squeezed her eyes shut tight. She opened them and tried to focus on something, anything, inside the Magic Box. They’d all been reading and researching for what felt like days. The fact that she was reading and researching at all, much less for this long was strange in itself. Not being one of the Research Team, her eyes weren’t used to looking at words on paper for near this long. She was action girl, not reading girl. She blinked a couple more times and closed the book, placing it on the table. She sat up straight in her chair and languidly stretched her muscles. She reached over to Giles’ watch next to her and saw the time. I’ve been doing this for how many hours? No wonder my eyes are broken. She glanced up at the window and took note of the setting sun. Heaving an inward sigh of relief, she stood and cleared her throat causing everyone in the room to look up. “I think I’m gonna go patrol. All this bookworm stuff is making my eyes dizzy.”


Spike, who had been leaning back in a chair next to the wall slammed the front to legs of the chair down at her statement. His book shut with a thud and he jumped up, “Company?” He walked to the table and placed the book on top of a few others. “Could use a bout of fisticuffs and death to take the edge off.”


She seemed almost hesitant at first. But the hesitancy didn’t have the usual sense of disdain in it. “Uh… Sure?” She responded almost questioning.


Spike noticed the strange look in her eyes when she answered. He tilted his head to the side and regarded her with a look of confusion. He had thought that, after their little heart to heart last night, she wouldn’t mind him being around. He had thought that maybe they’d be able to start over and move past the whole mortal enemy thing. Then he began to wonder if she was acting this way because her mates were in attendance. ’Course. Shoulda known as soon as the Scoobs are 'round all will change.


Buffy saw Spike’s jaw muscles clench and his fists flex. What she couldn’t see was what she’d done to cause it, and she knew it had to be her, no one else had spoken to him. She hadn't meant anything by her hesitancy; she was just trying to adjust to all the new stuff piled on top of her plus the friendly type relationship she was forming with Spike. She cleared her throat and spoke. “Yeah. I… mean, sure. Why not? An extra hand is better than no extra.” She shrugged her shoulders trying to appear nonchalant. “I’m just gonna go get some weapons out of the training room.”


“Right.” The confusion disappeared and Spike nodded. “Grab a bloke and axe. Will ya?”


She walked past him and nodded. “Sure.”


The others in the room had looked up at Buffy’s proclamation and consequentially the conversation between to the two blondes. Thinking nothing else of it though, they turned back to their tasks.


The sound of Spike clapping his hands together caused them all to look up again. “Looks like ole Spike gets to do some fun stuff now kiddies.” He said rubbing his hands together and smiling.


“If it means you’re not here sharing second hand smelly-ness with us, I won’t argue,” Xander comment from his seat next to Anya. He waved his hands in front of his nose, as if to emphasize his point. "Smoking may not kill you, but secondhand smoke kills us. Not to mention the less than great smell that permeates."


Spike chose not to respond to Xander and instead met the Slayer coming out of the training room. He grabbed the axe she held out to him and they started walking to the door, in step with each other.


"Kay, so we'll be back in a few hours guys!" Buffy called from the door. "Giles? Don't let Dawn research anything too, too scary, okay?"


"Have fun guys!" Dawn called back smiling.


"Yeah. Have fun and don't get dead again!" Anya added as they stepped closer to the door.


"Thanks Anya," Buffy dryly responded.


"Bye guys," Tara and Willow said in unison.


Giles looked up from the book he was studying. "Do be careful Buffy, there's been a bit of an influx of late."


"We'll be fine Giles." Buffy assured him.


"Yeah, Watcher Man. We'll be fine." Spike added. And then in a quiet voice, so that only Buffy could hear, "I got her back this time."


Buffy gave him a soft look, but then quickly turned back to the gang and nodded with a smile. "See ya." And with that, they were out the door.


___________________________________________________________


Buffy and Spike were walking through one of the many cemeteries in Sunnydale in a companionable silence. Neither felt the pressing need to speak, so it was a comfortable patrol they found themselves on.


This was the third cemetery they had been through and they had spotted three vampires so far. Buffy got two; Spike got one. He was hanging back, letting Buffy have her fun and do her thing. The only reason he had gotten one kill was because a gangster wannabe vamp had tried sneaking up on her while she was taking out his buddy.


One of his favorite past times had always been watching the Slayer in motion. Ever since he had one of his minions videotape her all those years ago, he loved watching her kick ass. She tended to get a look of invigoration on her flushed face when she was in the thick of it. Her eyes would sparkle and her hair would fan out around her face- she was art in motion. Such was the case on this night, only more so. Slayer's havin' a ball.


And that she was. In the past, the fight had always gotten Buffy's blood pumping and adrenaline flowing. Now? She was feeling it like she never had before. She had hardly put any effort into dispatching her two vamps, but that's because she had not needed to. Every jab, kick, parry and hook she dealt came as easy to her as breathing. And can I mention just exactly how much I'm loving the fact that Spike is letting me have my fun? Good. 'Cuz I'm gonna. Even when they had been enemies, he had never had a problem admitting that she was good. There was the one time he'd tried to 'protect' her and that had been when they were being attacked by Xander-honed demons. Other than that? He never once made Buffy feel like she couldn't handle her own.


Not like Angel and Riley had.


To Angel, she had always been a porcelain schoolgirl capable of shattering at any moment. The only time he hadn't treated her like a girly-girl had been during his stint as Angelus. And then he'd just wanted her dead. But he never passed up a chance to still talk to her like she was an idiot in the process. He was all about the protecting of the poor fragile girl and all about the leaving for her own good so she could have a normal life. Pfft. Normal. Slayer here buddy! Normal ain't exactly in the cards for me regardless of whether or not you're here.


Then there was Riley. Mr. Joe Normal by day; Sgt. Joe Rambo by night. And not the cool defender-y type Rambo. The 'he worked for a top secret demon hunting military organization that captured, experimented and neutered the demons' type Rambo. First he was all 'fumble-y, shy and boy next door-ish' guy. Then he was all 'impressed, we're both fry cooks' guy. And finally, he was all 'your wickedly abnormal strength, weekly apocalypse and independence are just too much for me' guy. Although, ya can't really blame the guy for leaving. Aside from being ten times stronger and twice as short as him; ya didn't really give him much there in the end, did ya? She quickly told the voice in her head that sounded strangely like Cordelia to shut up and moved onto the next subject.


Spike.


With Spike she never had to worry about any of that. It had been one of two ways for him, since the beginning. He either hated her, wanted her dead and didn't care whether she got beaten or not; OR, he loved her, wanted her alive and knew she could handle herself so he didn't have to worry much about her getting beaten. It wasn't very often when Spike had to step in and save her. Actually, now that I think about it, I've saved his British butt quite a few times. There's just something backwards about that.


Buffy was brought out of her inner discussion by the appearance of four rather smelly vampires. "God, Spike. Did anyone slay anything while I was gone? That was seven within the last hour or two!" She commented in an off hand manner.


"Oi Slayer! 'Ll have you know, I got busted up plenty o' times over the summer trying to keep the streets of Sunnydale safe for the idiots that live here. What were you doing? Oh yea, you were enjoying a two month lay about in limbo," Spike shot back.


"I was dead you tard."


"Oh, how convenient is that, then?"


Somehow, in the midst of their banter and the nearing of the vampires, they have gravitated towards each other, standing with their backs together, ready for an attack.


"Well, lookey here boys. Seems the Slayer ain't gone after all. She's takin' her pet puppy out for his evenin' constitutional." A red headed vampire with a green trucker's hat said with a sneer.


"You bring him out without no leash all the time?" Another, shorter, vampire asked.


"Only when I've been a good boy, does she," Spike answered in place of Buffy.


Trucker vamp started to say something else, but was interrupted by the Slayer. "Um? Hello? Can we fight now? Or do you want to continue spitting out unfunny one-liners?"


"Well, ma'am, as a homegrown Texas boy, how can I refuse a lady her request?" As soon as he had spoken the last word, he and his buddies lunged.


Spike dusted the first with no effort at all. He simply lifted his axe and Stupid ran up and basically beheaded himself, Spike just had to stand there. His buddy, seeing what happened, decided to hang back and take his time with the hopes that he wouldn't suffer the same fate as his buddy quite so soon.


Buffy still had both of her opponents, but not from lack of breaking a sweat or trying. She was dragging it out, toying with them and getting as much of a work out as she possibly could.


Spike took care of his vampire when he lunged towards him. Spike sidestepped him and then swept his right leg to the side and back, knocking the newbie flat on his back. He swung his axe in a downward motion and cleanly took the head off. He straightened up and pulled a cigarette out of his pocket with his right hand while hefting the axe to his shoulder with his left. He lit his cigarette and took a seat on a nearby sarcophagus so he could enjoy the show.


Buffy played with them a few moments longer and then finally grew bored. They were both standing in front of her; one to the left, the other to the right. She grabbed hold of one left hand and one right hand, and then using their arms for leverage and the force of pulling them towards her for momentum, she flipped over their heads. When she landed she staked them in the backs before they had even realized where she had gone.


When she was finished she was panting, her breaths coming in big huffs from exhilaration. All the sudden, she heard Spike clapping from behind her. She whipped her head around and saw him walking out of a more shadowy area, still clapping. She was hit with a sense of nostalgia; this scene highly reminiscent of their first meeting.


Spike lit another cigarette as he got closer. "Good show, pet. 'S nice to see you didn't lose your touch up there. Bein' lazy and all." He commented with a smirk.


Buffy arched her right eyebrow and put her right hand on her hip. "'Scuse me? Were you brain dead when I said Whistler said I was going to be stronger? 'Cuz I think I remember me saying that? Wouldn't matter what I did, whether I was lazy or not, I'd still be stronger."


"No I wasn't bloody brain dead. I heard." They once again fell into step with each other. "Seems he was right too. Took care of 'em right quick you did. When you weren't playin' anyway."


A self satisfied look appeared on Buffy's face. "I did, didn't I?" She nodded a couple of times and then did a little skipping step so that she was ahead of him and then stepped in front of him, walking backwards. "And- totally had a blasty-blast."


Spike smiled at her statement and the adopted a serious look coming to the conclusion that now would be as good a time as any to see if could get anymore info out of her concerning recent and soon to be events. "'S good to see you having fun, hell, it's good to see you period, but definitely good to see you havin' fun." He saw her smile at his comment, but what he said next wiped it right off her face. "What, with the whole coming back from the dead to fulfill a prophecy and face an apocalypse."


"Hmm," was her only reply. But the fact that she stopped bouncing as she walked and returned to his side was answer enough for him.


He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye and took note of the tight line her lips formed. "Eh, but who knows?" He shrugged. "Maybe there won't be an apocalypse this time. They're not always synonymous with prophecies." He stopped and seemed to consider his words. "Wait, yeah, they usually are- forget I said anything."


The Slayer simply nodded and kept walking.


Spike stopped walking and placed a hand on Buffy's arm to halt her. "Luv, what's with you?"


Buffy gave him a strange look. "With me? There's nothing with me. What's with you?"


"No, don't do that; don't turn it around on me. There's something up with you. Every time anyone brings up what’s happenin' you clam up."


A look of indignation crossed her face. "I so do not. I don't clam. There's no clamming. Clams aren't even an issue."


"Oh, I think they are. There's something you're not tellin' your mates." He broke eye contact with her and started pacing. "The thing that I can figure is why? You're not sharing something and it might come back and bite you in the arse. And not might- prob'ly will. And it won't bite just you either." He stopped pacing and looked at her again. "What if you're holdin' back is important and 'cuz you didn't share, somethin' bad happens to you?" His voice held an almost panicked tinge to it.


The second realization hit her, Buffy's eyes got wide. He was worried something else was going to happen to her, as in, bad. She shook her head, "Won't happen. Whistler said I wasn't gonna die again. So, no deadness for Buffy this time."


"Doesn't matter. Anything could happen." Spike heaved a sigh. "I couldn't bear it luv."


Buffy thought she heard his voice crack as he said the last and she suddenly had the urge to comfort him. "Spike, it'll be fine. I swear it. Nothing is gonna happen to me."


He sniffed and jutted his chin out. "Yeah, well, I still think you're holdin' out."


Nothing else was said as they made their way out of the cemetery and into another. But Buffy's brain wasn't quite as quiet. She was trying to work out if maybe she should share some tid-bits with everyone, just in case. It might be important. Spike couldbe right. For once.


______________________________________



tbc...


Please let me know what you think!! Thanx!!
CHAPTER TWELVE by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Thank you guys... all of ya... for all the friggin' awesome reviews you keep leaving me! You just don't know what they do for me! Keep 'em coming! Supersized thanks to Ria! You rock sista!

Guardians has been nominated for Best WIP and Best Buffy Characterization at Love's Last Glimpse Awards! How friggin' cool is that? An innumerable amount of 'Thank You's to whoever nominated me! I did a happy little squee dance when I found out. And, hey, only if you want, no pressure, but- GO VOTE FOR ME! teehee. Just kidding!

No, really. Go vote!

(kidding)
Disclaimer: The characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer are owned by Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and Fox studios. This story is not meant to infringe upon anyone's rights, only to entertain.





CHAPTER TWELVE-


While the Slayer and her vampire partner patrolled the city's many cemeteries, the scene inside the Magic Box was less than entertaining. The six remaining members of the Scooby gang all sat with their noses buried deep in a book or parchment of some sort.

Willow was deeply entranced with anything and everything that she could find on Sires and their Childer. She was hoping that she would be able to find something that would tell them whether or not it was pointless to include the search for anything related to a vampire Childe in with the rest of the research. She had a ‘witchy inkling’ telling her that it was, in fact, not pointless; but she didn’t want to take the chance and then it end up being a waste of time. The only thing she’d found so far was what they already knew, courtesy of Anya and Spike. Childer were special in Vampire families. Childer had a bond with, and shared links with their Sires. The only thing she’d found so far that they hadn’t told them was, that Sires trained, or taught, Childer how to be Vampires, Much like Mr. Miyagi had done with young Danielson. But Sires were the ones responsible for Childe rearing. They molded them into the monsters they would become. But that in no way helped them with the prophecy.

Xander and Anya were in the process of doing generalized searches for prophecies involving Slayers returning from the dead. They sat at the table, huddled close together, with several book open in front of them, but had found nothing so far.

Tara and Dawn were in charge of doing generalized searches for prophecies involving a child or Childe. Tara sat to the left of her girlfriend, and they were holding hands as they searched. Dawn was holding sentry at her usual spot- the loft stairs- searching with zeal. Giles had done as Buffy asked and made sure that the books Dawn was in possession of weren’t too harsh for her young, impressionable eyes. Regardless of they level of harm any book had, or didn’t have, none of them were proving helpful in their search.

Giles had abandoned the ‘Daggarnthor Codex’ in favor of the Codex that housed the prophecy concerning the Master and Buffy after Anya had ever so ‘eloquently’ told him that he’d been a less than good Watcher for not even thinking of the Childe aspect as far as vampires were concerned. The chance that the prophecy involved a vampire Childe was a large one; it dealt with the Slayer after all. He had not looked at this Codex in years, and was hoping maybe something might jump out at him; something he had not seen before, or something he simply overlooked thinking it had nothing to do with anything. But his search was also proving fruitless.

He slid his chair back from the table and stood up. Looking off into space at something only he could see, he racked his brain, rewound the conversations with Buffy and tried to latch on to something that would be helpful.

She said a Seer wrote the prophecy, that the Powers had no clue of its existence, that she would be stronger, as a result. A Seer...? Maybe if I try... He moved to the bookshelf for the hundredth time that evening and began scanning the titles. The book he was looking for didn’t actually have its title on the binding, it was too old and worn, but the absence of a title was part of his process of elimination.

He remembered hearing of this book during his years of training with the Watcher’s Council. Having just gotten over his stint as a rebel-More like an idiot raising demons because Father had been pounding into my brain for years that I was destined to become a Watcher- and as a result of the things that happened to him during that time, he had immersed himself in studying everything he could about Slayers and vampires. One was never sure they would even have a ward during their careers, so he had wanted to know everything he could, just in case he found himself actively watching a Slayer. He never actually got his hands on the book back then, but during one of his many buying expeditions at various estates, he had come across it. Actually, when he thought about it, he was almost positive that he had gotten it at the same estate sale as The Word of Valios.

Finally, his eyes rested on a worn red leather binding. Ahh, here we are. He returned to the table, sat the book down and went to get a fresh cup of tea. A bit of Earl Grey to make it complete. A cup of tea, a sturdy table and a really old book of prophecies and portents- who could ask for more?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Less than an hour had passed and not much of the scene in the shop had changed- only minor details.

Tara and Willow were taking a break from research, their vision having become blurry; Dawn was still seated on the stairs, but she had abandoned her books in favor of inspecting her hair for split ends; Xander was leaning back in his chair dozing quietly; and Anya was perched at the cash register tallying the sales for the day. Only Giles remained the same- his nose planted firmly in his book. The only sounds heard throughout were the occasional turning of pages, quiet whispers between Willow and Tara, and Anya letting out a few happy noises here and there.

Because of the overwhelming silence in the shop, when Giles voice rang out, it startled everyone in the room.

"Yes!"

Tara and Willow abandoned their whispers and looked at Giles with wide, expectant eyes. Dawn sat up ramrod straight and graced the Watcher with the same look as the other two females. Xander jerked awake when Giles let out his exclamation, causing him to jerk in his seat, followed by an ungraceful tumble to the floor and an extremely feminine screech sounding from his mouth.

Anya left the counter and started making her way to help Xander. "He's possessed," the young blonde said from her crouched position next to her fiancé. The two stood up, Anya brushed dust off Xander's clothes and Xander rubbed one hand over his bruised rear and one hand on his not quite as bruised head.

Everyone in the shop was looking expectantly at Giles, waiting for him to share the findings that caused the outburst. He remained silent though, still reading from the book in his hands. Just as Willow was about to open her mouth to inquire about what he had found, he repeated himself with more force. "Yes! Yes!" He stood up so quickly that it knocked his chair over. He looked around the shop with wild eyes, appearing to be on the search for something.

"See? Possessed," Anya said again.

Willow followed Giles throughout the shop, looking at him strangely, "Ya know? I think she's right."

"Yo! G-Dog!" Xander called, knowing that if anything, calling Giles by a nickname he hated was sure to get his attention. Only, it didn't. "Oookay then. Should we call a priest or something?" He asked the room with a smile.

Willow stood and walked over to Giles. Putting a hand on his shoulder she called his name softly, "Giles?"

He jerked his head in her direction, surprised not only by the touch of her hand but also the nearness of her voice. Giles ducked his head, clearly embarrassed at having been so involved in his book that he had forgotten the existence of the others. "Sorry, Willow," he muttered.

She removed her hand from his shoulder and gave a small shrug, "It's all right. What'd ya find?"

Xander spoke up, "Yeah, what was it? Musta been something pretty big judging by the fabulous impression of someone with Tourette's you demonstrated for us all.” He grinned, satisfied that he once again was fulfilling his own destiny as 'The Bringer of Levity and Laughs'.

Giles gave a sheepish smile, pulling his glasses off and giving them a good seeing to, and then placed them back on his face. He cleared his throat. "Yes, Xander, quite right. Very big indeed."

Before Xander could respond, or inquire, Dawn hopped off the stairs and walked up to the table. "So? What was it? What'd you find? Was it something about Buffy? Why she's back? What she'll have to face?" Her voice had an almost frantic tone.

Giles gave the teenager a patient smile, "Calm down Dawn, there's no need to start panicking already." He told her, but inwardly he understood fully where she was coming from. He had been nervous when he first found out that Buffy would be returning to them and that there was yet another prophecy involved. He was in no way a fan of his charge returning from a death caused by a big, apocalyptic fight, only to face another so soon. So far though, his findings had not produced anything apocalyptic, so it might not turn out quite so bad after all.

Dawn nodded to him and took a seat at the table. Willow and Xander both retreated back into their seats and Anya took station behind Xander's chair. They all looked to Giles with expectant eyes, waiting patiently for him to share his recent discovery.

Giles couldn't prevent the proud smile that spread across his face as he took him the group before him. These were 'his kids'. They had already been through so much, and yet here they were, still fighting the good fight and ready to take on whatever the universe threw at them. None of them had to be here, save Dawn, and yet they were.

He shook his head to clear it of nostalgic thoughts before they had time to evolve into more. No time for that now. There is much yet to be learned, we still haven't much of a clue as to what's going on with Buffy. He reprimanded himself for letting his thoughts stray from the more important events occurring. Then, as an afterthought, he added, And exactly who the Childe is.

Before his thoughts could board another train, Dawn cut into them. "Hello? Earth to Giles!" When he looked at her she smiled, "Still with us big guy?"

Giles shook his head and cleared his throat before he started speaking. "Erm, yes, Dawn. Quite. Sorry."

Xander dismissively waved his hand. "'S all right G-m-" the word quickly took a left turn at Giles' glare, "-miiiles. Giles. A little brain wandering is allowed every now and then, even for you brain-y types."

"Well thank you for that Xander," he commented sarcastically. "But, be that as it may, we haven't time for wandering brains, as you call them." He stopped, allowing a small smile, then quickly became serious again. "I believe I have located the prophecy pertaining to Buffy." He paused again to gauge the reactions of the group. They were looking at him with rapt interest but shock and fear nowhere evident.

He should have expected no less.

Anya clearing her throat, rather loudly and not at all discreetly, prompted Giles to start speaking again.

"Right. As I was saying, I believe I've found at least part of what we've been looking for." He picked up the book he had been buried in for the last couple of hours and started speaking again. "I've found a passage in this book- now, it's in written in Cherus, and I haven't found the need to keep abreast of Cherus, so my translation is a bit iffy at best. But I think it's relatively accurate. It speaks of a text, 'Guardians of The Middle'." Giles took a deep breath and rubbed his eyes behind his glasses. "Or, it could quite possibly be 'Guardians of The Median'. Either way, we still don't know what that means exactly, but we have somewhere to start."

"'Guardians of The Middle'? And that's a…?" Willow asked.

He sat down and leaned back in his chair, wiping his glasses. "I honestly don't know Willow. It could mean or be about any number of things. I don't even know where to begin to speculate, much less form a solid opinion."

"Well, if that's the case, let's start from the top." Xander sat up leaning his elbows on the table and looked at Giles as he asked the next question. "How do we know it has to do with Buffy?"

"It has a specific sentence that tells me it is, in fact, Buffy it's talking about."

"Oh." Xander sat back in his seat deflated. "Well, you didn't say that. You just said you didn't know what it was about. What else does it say?"

Giles pulled his notepad out from under the book. This is what I believe it translates to. It's all I've got."

'One of dark(ness). One of light(ness).

Always (Eternal) sunlight. Always (Eternal) Night.

One, a child Chosen.

One, a Childe turned.

The Chosen twice returned.

The Childe twice reverted.'


He gave it a moment to sink in with them, because he knew once it did, the questions would start. He knew the exact moment recognition reached each member. And the questions started.

"'One of darkness, one of lightness'? What's that?"

"Is it with an 'e'?"

"What does it mean? Twice reverted?"

"Who’s going to turn a child? That's a very bad decision; they never grow out of that bothersome whiney thing." There was no question as to who asked the last. It was worded in true Anya fashion.

"All right. All right," he said trying to quiet everyone. "Take a breath then ask your questions." When they all opened their mouths at the same time he quickly added, "One! One at a time."

Willow meekly raised a hand in the air; the student waiting on the teacher to call on them. When he lifted his eyebrows in her direction she took that as her cue to speak. "From the way it sounds, Buffy isn't alone in this. Sounds all balance havin' and yin and yang. Ya know?" she asked looking at the others for support. "So, I'm bettin' that, the prophecy? It's Median, not Middle. Guardians of The Median. Get it? Happy median? Balance?" Everyone nodded their head in Giles' direction.

"I agree with you Willow. That and the fact that it says Guardians instead of Guardian. It's plural. We just need to figure out what it all means, then, I'm willing to bet we'll have a clue as to the identity of the other party."

I've already got my idea as to the identity. But more research is required before I can voice it. Giles thought to himself, not in the mood for ruffled feathers. As he was sure there would be some when he spoke of his ideas.

"So who is it then?" Xander asked.

"That's what we have to find out." Giles answered.

"Well, who’s on the list of suspects? Do we at least have one of those?" The younger male inquired.

Giles tossed his pad onto the table with a sigh. "I have a few people in mind,” he answered Xander vaguely.

"’Kay, and they're…?" Xander shook his head back and forth while gesturing with his hand that he wanted Giles to fill in the blanks.

A flicker of irritation ran across Giles' features as he realized that the boy obviously wasn't letting it go, then he resigned himself to having to answer. "Well, um, Dawn is one of them."

Xander nodded his head. "Yeah, I guess I could see how Dawn might be connected to a prophecy that has to do with Buffy coming back. On account of what happened and all. Buffy jumpin' to deactivate the key, Dawn being the key,” he finished sheepishly as he looked in Dawn's direction and took note of the pain reflected in the young girl's eyes. "Not that... I mean, I don't think... That sounded worse outside my brain." He closed his eyes and turned his head up towards the ceiling. "Why do I have to say things?" He shook his head and then looked at Dawn. "Dawn you know I didn't mean it that way. It wasn't your fault."

Dawn simply nodded, unshed tears pooling in her eyes.

Tara rose from her seat and put her arm around the pre-teen and reaffirmed what Xander said. "Xander's right, Dawnie. It wasn't your fault."

"I know. I know. Just, still hurts a little, ya know? Knowing that Buffy had to die 'cuz I was the stupid key."

Everyone was quiet for a moment, not really sure what to say next.

Finally, the silence was broken by Anya. "So, does it have to do with Dawn or not? It talked about a child after all."

"I am not a child." Dawn protested.

Anya looked at Dawn, "Of course not." She said in a patronizing voice, then she turned to the others at the table and gave them a 'don't listen to her she's crazy' look.

Dawn didn't miss the look. "I'm not!" She reiterated.

Tara, ever the mediator, tried to calm the young teen. “Dawn, no one thinks you are.” She looked pointedly at Anya. “Right?”

Anya rolled her eyes and conceded defeat; she was going to have to play nice. “Right, Tara. No one thinks that. I was being ridiculous, like always.” She gave a forced laugh. “You know me and my ridiculousness.”

Tara gave Dawn’s shoulder a squeeze. “See?” While Xander gave his fiancée’s hand a squeeze in comfort.

When it was clear that the girls’ spat was over, Giles started speaking again. “If you’ll kindly allow me to continue…” When everyone remained silent he began, “What you didn’t allow me time to say was, Dawn was one of the potentials. But, when I looked more closely at the spelling, I noticed it does indeed indicate the involvement of a vampire Childe.”

“Ha!” Anya called out triumphantly from beside Xander.

“Yes, Anya, thanks to yours and Spike’s earlier tutorial, everyone knows what those are.” He took off his glasses and wiped them clean. “And as a bonus, this will most certainly lessen the scale of our searches by an incredible degree.”

Xander looked at the older man with a question in his eyes. “How’s that?”

“Now we know the prophecy involves a vampire Childe, so we don’t have to continue searching for anything other than that. I’d say that’s a substantial difference.”

Xander nodded, “Yeah, I get that part, but how many Childer you reckon there are on this big round rock?” He asked. “I’m betting on thousands myself.”

“That may be true, but it still gives us one area to focus on.” Willow offered. “And, surely there aren’t a thousand vampires out there that share a prophecy with the Slayer. Right?”

“Very good Willow. At least someone understands English.” Giles commented giving the others looks of pity.

The red head beamed a smile at the group until she noticed the semi-glares being directed at the Watcher and herself.

“Teacher’s Pet.” Xander grumbled good-naturedly. To which his best friend responded with a good ole tongue sticking out.

“So, if I’m crossed off the list, who’s left on it?” Dawn asked taking a seat at the table while Tara reclaimed her own.

Giles cleared his throat, “Well, to be quite honest, Angel. He’s at the top of my list, Actually, he sort of is my list.”

“So, you’re thinking Angel is the Childe?” Tara confirmed/questioned in a soft voice.

Giles nodded. “It would certainly make sense. Angel already has a connection to Buffy and he’s already been mentioned in one prophecy.”

Dawn wanted to argue. She wanted to rant. She wanted Giles to be wrong. What she did not want was for Angel to be involved in anything that involved her sister. Really not wanting to go through anymore of that drama. She thought to herself. Out loud she said, “How do you know it’s him Giles? I mean, it’s not like he’s the only vampire in the world. Just ‘cuz he’s got a soul and is all ‘Mr. I’m-a-Special-Vamp-With-My-Very-Own-Prophecy‘, that doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s a part of this one too.”

Xander piped up, “He certainly thinks he’s the only vampire in the world.”

Willow gave him a scolding look, the cousin to her ‘resolve face’. “Xander! Play nice.” In a softer tone, she continued. “If it is Angel, this is gonna be hard enough for Buffy without any comments from the peanut gallery.”

“Aw, c’mon Will. I was just sayin-”

His words were quickly cut off at the implementation of the aforementioned ‘resolve face’. Willow pointed a finger at him, “Ssh.”

“But…”

She shook her head. “Uh-uh mister. Look at this face.” She pointed to her face.

Xander huffed, “Fine… Spoilsport.”

“Thank you.” She looked back to Giles. “How do you know it’s Angel?”

“I don’t know. It’s only a speculation.” Giles pointed out. “I speculate it’s Angel because, like I said, there is already a connection between them, and he’s already got one prophecy with his name on it.” He stood from the table and started towards the kettle to freshen his tea. “I may be completely off base in assuming it’s Angel. But with the connection and the prophecy tied in with the wording of this prophecy, I don’t think I am.”

“What about the wording?” Dawn asked.

“Well,” He returned to the table, set down his mug and retrieved his legal pad. “This part,” He underlined the section he was talking about. “’The Childe twice reverted’- I think it’s referring to Angel’s transformation.”

“Angel transformed into something? When?” Willow questioned.

“Well, there are actually two transformations I can think of. The first is, when he was turned and became evil, and then later on he was given a soul, which caused him to renounce his evil ways. The second is, when he received his soul and lost it, then when it was returned to him. I’m not positive which one it is. Or if it even is either of them.”

“Makes sense to me.” Anya commented. “But prophecies don’t usually make much sense, so you could be wrong. This was an easy conclusion for you to come to concerning a prophecy no one even knew existed until recently.”

“Yes. Thank you, Anya.” Giles replied, unable to hide some of his contempt for her tactless words. “I’m aware that it seems to be too easy. But it does still make sense.”

Anya simply shrugged at his response.

“What’s the prophecy about Angel? The other one?” Dawn asked, wanting to know as much as possible about the situation. It concerned people she cared about. And Angel is so totally not one of them. She thought with a growl.

Giles looked at Dawn and blinked his eyes at her, sort of, change in subject. “Um, it’s called ‘The Shanshu’.” He held up a hand to stave off any forthcoming questions. “And before any of you start, the particulars of ‘The Shanshu’ aren’t pertinent to what’s going on at present.” He lowered his hand when everyone stayed silent. “The gist of it is this; the vampire with a soul will play a pivotal part in the Apocalypse and as a result he will achieve his redemption. His reward being, his humanity is returned to him.”

“That means he’ll be human right? Like totally, one hundred percent, home grown human?” Willow asked. Her face scrunched up tight, “Well, I guess he won’t really be home grown, but, he’ll be completely human right?”

“Yes.” Giles answered.

“Angel’s gonna become a human?” Xander asked. The tone of his voice implied that he didn’t think such an occurrence should ever be allowed.

Giles nodded, “Yes. At least, that’s the conclusion that everyone who has ever read and translated the prophecy has come to. Of course, not everyone knew who exactly it pertained to, but seeing as Angel is the only vampire with a soul that we know, well, clearly you can see where this is leading.”

Willow spoke with an edge of uncertainty to her voice, like she didn’t want to look like an idiot for asking her question. “You really think there’s two prophecies out there with Angel’s name on ’em?

Giles shrugged.

“That’s so not fair!” Dawn called out.

“Dawnster’s right.” Xander agreed. “Angel needs to not be a Mr. Selfish Vampy Britches and share some of the prophecies with the other less fortunate vampires.” The sarcasm was almost visible as his voice dripped with it. Anya snickered at her fiancé’s comment, while Willow and Tara were almost unsuccessful in hiding their smiles.

Dawn spoke again, to Giles, as if nothing had been said after her exclamation. “I really don’t want to relive Buffy and Angel crap. Are you sure it’s him?” Almost pleading for him to tell her that he was sure it wasn’t Angel that her sister had to share a prophecy with.

“No, Dawn, I’m not completely sure it’s him. But the chance is a great one that it is him.” He sat back down in his chair. “And while I’m sure none of us really wants a repeat of the cataclysmic events that unwittingly occur with Angel and Buffy in the same city, much less both involved in the same prophecy, we have to face the fact that it just may be him. So researching as much as possible so that we can be sure is very important.”

“So… What’re you gonna tell Buffy?” Xander inquired.

“And Spike?” Dawn added.

“I’m not sure yet what I’m going to tell Buffy. I’d like to know a bit more before I tell her anything. Anything said prematurely could have an impact on her emotional state. We’ve all seen how she gets when Angel is involved and I think it best to have her in top form instead of distracted by emotions.” Giles answered.

“Yeah, I guess that makes sense too.” Xander agreed. “Man G-Diddy, you are one with the making sense, aren’t’cha? Does that ever make you tired?” He asked with a smile.

As a result of the appalling name Xander had called him, the older male glared murderously at the boy while refusing to dignify his questions with any answers.

“What about Spike?” Dawn repeated herself with more force.

Everyone turned to look at her, all with large question marks blinking above their heads.

“What about him, sweetie?” Tara finally asked the question they had all been thinking.

“What? Are you kidding me?” The youngster asked with wide eyes. “He’s totally gonna wig when he finds out that Buffy and Angel have a prophecy. Together.”

“Now, Dawn, I’m sure Spike won’t be happy to discover that Angel and Buffy share a prophecy. But once he realizes it was destined and that there isn’t anything anyone can do, he’ll realize any objections he may voice would be futile,” Giles commented, knowing himself that what he was saying probably wouldn’t turn out to be true.

“Oh, he’ll still flip a British lid regardless of destiny. And- I’ll have an ally,” Xander declared with a big smile. He looked off to the side lost in thought. When he came back to reality after a few seconds he scooted forward in his chair excited. “Ooh, hey, maybe we could start a club.” He looked at Willow, "Ya know? Like the 'We Hate Cordelia Club'?" She glared at him reproachfully.

Dawn giggled at him, “I’ll join.”

Xander looked at her, “What? You mean you don’t wanna join ‘Brooders Anonymous’ instead Dawnster?”

“Ew. Are you joking? You know I was never a fan of the Buffy/Angel Drama Club.”

Tara and Anya chuckled while Willow tried to be the adult of the younger members. “Guys… Be nice.” But even Giles was having a hard time not smiling.

Xander completely ignored Willow and continued talking animatedly with Dawn. “Okay. Cool. It’s a deal.” He sat back in his chair with his arms crossed over his chest. “And- I get to be president,” He added in a smug tone.

Dawn shook her head. “Nuh-uh buddy. You can’t be president.”

Xander looked shocked. “What? Why not? I’m older than you.”

“But you’re not older than Spike.” She pointed out. “And besides, he hates Angel more than anyone.”

Xander’s shoulder slumped and he deflated. “Fine,” He grumbled. “Them I’m vice-president.”

Dawn shook her head again. “Nope.”

“Ugh. Why not?” He almost whined.

She jerked her thumb towards herself. “That’s me. I hate him second most.”

“Well, then, what am I?” He asked with a pout.

Dawn tapped a finger against her chin thinking. “Got it.” She snapped her fingers. “We’ll be joint vice-presidents,” she told Xander with a huge smile, which he returned.

“You’re on!” He nodded then added excited. “We should get cards.”

Dawn and Xander burst into laughter and this time no one was immune and smiles were making appearances.

Unbeknownst to the occupants of the shop, Buffy and Spike chose the moment Xander spoke to enter.

“Wow. It’s like a smile-a-thon,” the Slayer commented as she and her patrol partner made their way down the steps. She spoke again as she reached the table. “Hey guys,” she greeted, unable to keep a smile from blooming on her face, even though she didn’t know why they were all smiling. “Whatcha gettin’ cards for?” She asked looking at Xander and Dawn.

For some reason Buffy couldn’t figure, everyone seemed to sober a bit as she joined them. She felt like a mom walking in on a slumber party after something she wouldn’t like had just been said. Everyone was quiet.

Dawn suddenly looked like a deer caught in headlights. “Uh… Heh… Hey Buffy! Hey Spike!” She squeaked out. “We were just talking about buying some cards to play Rummy with.” She nodded vigorously while, inside she was scolding herself. Brilliant there, Summers.

Spike cocked his head to the side inquisitively. “What’re you on about Bit? We have cards. Lotsa cards, point of fact.” He gave her a strange look. “We played all the time while Big Sis was vacationing.”

Buffy opened her mouth to respond to Spike’s words, but she opted for scowling instead. She turned her attention back to Dawn when she spoke again.

“Oh.” Dawn slumped, stumped. Then suddenly she perked back up. “Oh, but, hey! Why keep those cards when, every time you look at them, they remind you of less than happy times?" She looked to Xander for backup. “Right Xander?”

He nodded his head fast. “Absolutely. Oh yeah.” Then he adopted a sorrowful look. “Bad associations and all.”

“What? You wanna throw away cards because you say that they have bad associations that come with them?” Buffy asked incredulously.

Xander and Dawn nodded hopefully, while Tara, Anya, Willow and Giles looked on amused. Watching these two try to flounder out of a sticky situation was entertaining. Spike watched it all with his head tilted and his scarred eyebrow arched so high it almost touched his hair.

Buffy shook her head, “No. You two are up to something.”

“Us?” Xander asked with a nervous giggle. “Us up to something? Why would us be up to anything? What makes you think there's a something us should be up to?”

“Hmm…” Buffy paused dramatically, seemingly lost in contemplation. “I dunno. Maybe it’s the appearance of matching ‘something faces’ you’re sportin’.”

“Or, it could be your complete lack of proper English you twit,” Spike added, taking a dig at Xander.

Xander wanted to fling a snappy comeback at the vampire, but in favor of avoiding having to actually answer any of the questions he was asked, he turned to Giles instead. “So, Giles. Back to that prophecy stuff you were talking about. That was some good stuff. Very insightful. What was it you said again?”

The word prophecy was all either of the two blondes needed to hear for their attention to be drawn away from Xander and Dawn, who both sighed in relief when Buffy and Spike turned to Giles.

“You know something?” Buffy asked her Watcher.

Giles shot Xander a glare for saying something when Giles had, only a short time ago, told him that he wasn’t sure what to tell Buffy yet. He had wanted to find out more before he told her anything. Once he glared for an appropriate amount of time, he turned to Buffy.

He cleared his throat. “Erm, well, I’ve not really found anything. More like a book that will most likely provide enlightenment. But it will take some time.”

“Oh,” Buffy replied.

Spike noticed that there was a tinge of disappointment etched across her beautiful face. Maybe th’ Slayer’s not keepin’ mum about anything. He thought. But then he recalled the little twitches and glances he had noticed earlier. Nah. She’s got something’”

Willow stood from her seat and walked up to Buffy, linking her arm through her friend’s. She tried to be reassuring, “Don’t worry Buffy. It’ll be no time at all before we have something for you. Quicker than you can say ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ and we’ll know everything.”

“Sure,” Buffy replied, distracted. She was too caught up in her thoughts to really pay any attention to the young witch at her side.

She was thinking that maybe Willow and Tara should be her first confidants. It’ll probably be easiest to get out if I’m gettin’ it out with them. They’re so… so… Willow and Tara. They’re perfect to be the first secret-in-onners.

Giles speaking to her brought her out of her reverie.

“How was patrol? I trust it wasn’t too bad as you don’t appear to be injured.” He took a closer look at his charge. “Or dirty. Or even winded. Was it uneventful?”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “Oh, no. It was full of eventful-ly goodness.” She glanced at Spike, “What was the total? I lost track.”

Spike squinted his eyes and appeared to be mentally counting. “Think it was 15 or so vamps, luv. One Shrelnesk demon and two Vronisklar demons.”

She nodded in agreement, that number seemed correct and then turned back to Giles. His eyes were wide and when she took in the face of her friends and sister, she saw astonishment painted on then also. “What?” She self consciously asked.

“Leaping Iguanas,” Xander commented amazed.

“Wow, Buffy, that’s… wow,” Willow added.

Dawn and Tara nodded in agreement with Willow’s statement.

“That is impressive,” Anya agreed also. “Especially since, the only thing you look like you’ve been doing is walking around the mall.”

“Buffy, that’s incredible. That you faced all of that and came back completely unscathed.” Her Watcher beamed with pride. Which, she could only respond to with a hundred-watt smile.

“Yes. Especially with a Shrelnesk. They’re extremely slimy and not slimy with the kind of slime that washes out easily either,” Anya added with a grimace.

“They’re slimy all right,” Buffy commented with a sly smile directed at Spike.

The slime factor being mentioned reminded Spike that he was supposed to be angry with the Slayer. But how the buggerin’ hell am I s’posed to stay mad at the dozey bint when she does that? He saw a mischievous glint in Buffy’s eyes and ’Pissed Off Spike’ took over driving for ’In Love Spike’ again.

“How the bloody hell would you know how slimy they are when you didn’t get any on you? Not even a tiny drop,” He sneered.

“Ooh. I did so get a drop. There was a big drop right on the tip of my nose. It looked like a radioactive orange snot ball.” She grimaced as the memory resurfaced.

“What are you whining about Bleach Boy?” Xander asked him sarcastically. “You look fine too. Ahn said the slime doesn’t wash easily. But I don’t see any slime on you either.”

Spike glared contemptuously at Buffy one more time before he slowly turned his body so that his back was facing the group assembled at the table.

Everyone collectively gasped in shock at what they saw.

Spike was covered, every inch covered, in fluorescent orange goo. It was plastered to the back of his bleached head, all the way down his body, to the backs of his boots. He looked like Two-Face from Batman, only, front and back instead of left and right sides.

Buffy snorted when she saw Spike scowl and the faces of her friends as they responded to the sight before them.

“Wow.” Came from Willow.

“Holy crap.” From Dawn.

“Oh my goodness.” Tara.

“Good Lord, Spike.” Giles.

“That’ll never wash out.” It was obvious who said that.

Xander let out an almost girlish cackle. “How the heck did that happen?” He asked pointing at the vampire. “And why’d I have to miss it?”

“Get stuffed, Harris,” Spike responded when he turned back around to face the others. He glared once more at the Slayer. “Bloody Slayer’s fault.”

“Hey!” Buffy cried defensively. “I said I was sorry didn’t I?”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Oh, yeah. That’ll mend my coat and threads, won’t it? Not to mention my hair.” He said as he put his hand up to the back of his head, not actually touching his hair.

“It’s not my fault Shrellnest demons sorta… self destruct, when you’re trying to kill them.” She pointed at Spike. “You didn’t tell me that part.”

“Well, you still could’ve told me he was behind me.”

“I didn’t have time.” She countered. “As soon as you stepped in front of me you starting flappin’ your jaws”

“Oh, don’t get me started again little missy.” Spike started to move closer to Buffy. He was stopped though when Giles cleared his loudly cleared his throat. He looked at the older man. “Right, so we come up on the Shrelnesk demon in the woods by Hendricks cemetery.” He emphasized and enunciated the demon’s name while shooting a superior glance at the Slayer that she replied to by sticking her tongue out. He turned back to the Watcher. “The tumble gets all started and then not two minutes into some ‘Lost Boys’ rejects try to get a shot at the Slayer battling a big demon.” He started taking off his duster, Gods, please let my coat survive, and once he got it off he gingerly laid it across the counter.

Anya wasn’t pleased by this action. “Hey!” She ran over to the counter and carefully picked up the coat like it was infected with e. coli or something. She placed it on one of the posts on the loft stairs and returned to Xander’s side with pursed lips directed towards Spike.

He rolled his eyes, unaffected by Anya’s obvious displeasure with him. “So, anyway,” he continued, “I start work on the two fang brothers while the Slayer continues to work on the Shrelnesk.” He took out a cigarette and lit it, completely ignoring all protests concerning the act. “I finish up the brothers and look for the Slayer, and she’s just standing there with this weird look on her face. So I stepped in front of her to see what was up and all the sudden, there’s this really squishy sounding explosion and I feel all that gunk,“ he pointed to his duster, “slammin’ into m’back. Didn’t even get so much as a whistle of a warnin’ from Queen Summers here.”

“I didn’t know!” Buffy repeated with vehemence.

“Still your ruddy fault,” Spike grumbled.

“Whatever, Fangless,” Buffy shot at him.

“Whatever, Brainless,” he shot back.

Buffy opened her mouth to continue the verbal sparring but Giles spoke before she could.

“Maybe it’s best to call it a night. It’s getting rather late. We’re obviously not going to find anything.”

Xander took it upon himself to try and make up for his almost blunder. “Yeah. Still got nothing. We have heaping mounds of nothing with even more nothing piled on top.”

“Yeah,” Willow agreed. “Not to mention the fact my eyes are on sabbatical at the moment.”

Everyone murmured some form of agreement and started straightening up the mess created by their searching in various books. When they had everything pretty much back in place, they made their way out.

As they exited the shop, they called out their ‘goodnights’ and headed in separate directions. Giles to his flat, Xander and Anya to their apartment, and the Slayer, the former Key, a witch, a Wicca and a vampire headed towards Revello Drive.

Buffy and Spike bickered the entire trek home. It was enough for the others to beat hasty retreats to their rooms when the group reached the house.

The pair, themselves, were standing in the living room appearing to be at a standoff.

“Just admit it Blondie Bear. Harmony so totally kicked your ass.”

“She bloody well did not Slayer! Take it back!” He growled moving closer to her.

“No. I won’t take it back. It’s the truth.” She edged closer to him and looked him dead in the eyes. “It’s not like you can do anything to me to make me take it back. Fangless.” She drew out the last word for effect.

“You don’t know the half of what I could do to you without layin’ even one soddin’ digit on you, pet.” He challenged her.

“Look,” She spoke slowly, not backing down. “We’re not having this argument again!” Her voice had steadily risen with each word and by the last one she was shouting in his face.

Spike blinked his eyes, although not at the volume of her words, but the words themselves. “We’ve never had this argument you daft cow,” he responded incredulously, his own voice booming.

“Yes we have,” she argued heatedly.

No we haven’t!” He replied in the same fashion.

“Yes. We. Have!” Somehow she was able to move even closer to him even though there didn’t appear to be any space left between them. He simply continued to stare straight into her eyes with his eyebrow arched. She finally faltered under his intense gaze and rolled her eyes. “Okay, so, it was an argument I had with you in my head when I first thought of ragging on you for it.” She stood back straight and leveled out her shoulders. “But I still don’t wanna have this argument again. Even if the other one wasn’t real.”

“But it didn’t happen that way!” Spike countered. “Stupid chit caught me unawares, she did. I had enough goin’ on at that point with you and Dru that I didn’t have enough time to try and defend myself.”

“Whatever.” Buffy rolled her eyes. “You got your butt kicked by Harmony Kendall.”

“You’ve gone completely out your head, haven’t ya?” He commented and shook his head.

“No, I haven’t.”

“Yes you- oh, bloody hell. That’s it! I’m not gettin’ started with you again.” He turned away and headed for the kitchen.

Buffy followed him into the kitchen and watched as he heated up a mug of blood in the microwave. “That’s only ‘cuz you know I’m right. On both accounts.” She leaned against the island and crossed her arms.

The microwave dinged and he retrieved his mug. Before he took a sip though, he replied with a sigh, “No. I’m not gettin’ into again ‘cuz it’s pointless.”

“Call it what you want, I know what’s true.” She walked to the sink and poured a glass of water. After she took a few gulps she placed her glass in the sink and walked to the doorway. “Well, it’s Buffy’s bed time. See you in the morning?”

Spike gave her a look that clearly said ‘and what else would I be doin’ but waitin’ to catch my next glimpse of you’.

“Right.” She said with a nod. “See ya then. G’night.”

“’Night Buffy.” He called back softly before he rinsed his mug and descended into the basement.

Buffy stayed awake for a while longer. Taking a hot shower and then lying across her bed lost in thought. She had decided she would start the coming clean process with Willow and Tara, and then move on from there. With her decision made and the promise of a clearer conscience come the next day, Buffy closed her eyes and drifted to sleep.

Spike lay on his cot and stared at the ceiling until he heard Buffy’s heartbeat slow to a rate which indicated that she had fallen asleep. The he closed his own eyes and slept.



____________________________________

tbc...

please tell me what you think!
CHAPTER THIRTEEN by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Huge, mondo, supersized thanks go to Ria for betaing this chappie for me. I know you're busy chica, so thank you!

Thank you guys for all the awesome reviews! You have no idea what they mean to me and what they do for my muse! I know updates are few and far between, but RL has been all crazy like for a while. But I promise, no matter how long they take, I'm not abandoning this baby, I will finish it. Just bear with me! luv luv luv to all of ya'll!
Disclaimer: The characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer are owned by Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and Fox studios. This story is not meant to infringe upon anyone's rights, only to entertain.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------



CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Buffy woke the next morning with her mood so far above the level of good, she was sure someone had injected her with happiness inducing drugs. She'd had a good day with her friends the day before, a good slay the night before, and no- what she assumed to be- Slayer dreams while she'd slept. Had to be a Slayer dreams. Why else would I dream of twirling and swirling colors and flippin' nickels? So, no. No Slayer dreams. Only dreams filled with platinum blond heads- which left her a tad bit confused themselves.

The fact that she and Spike had ‘fought’ the night before without actually, well, fighting was making her head feel a little tipsy. She’d actually had fun bantering and bickering with him. She’d smiled more than she usually did when she was dealing with him. Between her crazy high school girl with a crush act and the niceties, she was a bit fuzzy in the area of her noggin. Granted, it wasn’t confusing her as much as it would have, say, months ago, but everything wasn’t see through-able in her head just yet. With the coming back from the dead, prophecy on the horizon, a constant replay of just about everything said to her in Summerland, and hers and Spike’s new… whatever it was, she was feeling a bit overwhelmed.

She would not let that interfere with her mood, though. Still following one of the many pieces of advice given to her by a certain demon, she was not going to analyze. 'Sides, people have dreams about other people all the time. And girls have dreams about guys all the time. And Slayers have dreams about vampires all the time. I’m just not sure that Slayers have that kind of dream about vampires. Maybe they do, who knows. What I do know is, I’m not gonna think about the specifics of my dreams. Yet. She was aware of the fact that the looming prophecy and coming events should be forefront in her mind, but Spike’s face just kept popping up. His words kept replaying in her mind. The way his eyes looked when he first saw her again. The way her skin almost hummed when it came into contact with his. Those were the things crowding her mind, not the life altering, possible world ending, ‘other stuff’.

Buffy shook her head to clear some of the muck and pushed back the covers on her bed, ready to begin her day. With the goal of chatting with two certain witches in mind, she did the morning rituals practiced by most of society. After she'd finished it all and donned some clothes, she made her way down the stairs ready to include Willow and Tara in on her Summerland experiences. Not to mention recent Sunnydale experiences. Or thoughts, whatever.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs she noticed the silence of the house. She walked into the kitchen wondering just where everyone was, when a note stuck to the refrigerator with a magnet caught her attention.


Mornin' Buffy!
Sorry you had to wake up on your second day back from the dead all by your lonesome, but Tara and I had to run to campus to make our course selections so the classes weren't full and Dawnie had a long standing 'mall date' with Janice, and you were still asleep when she left. Trust me, she’d have much rather stayed home with you, but Tara told her you probably needed rest. Oh, and Spike usually sleeps ’til late afternoon. When Dawnie was still in classes he slept ’til she got home (he’s turned all domestic big brother vamp, it’s kinda wiggy at first, but you‘ll get used to it), so he’s on a crazy schedule for a vamp, wakin’ up while its still daytime and all, but he’ll be asleep for a while still. But don't worry, we'll be back lickity split and then we can talk. Girl talk, not Slayer talk. Cool?
And apparently I babble even in ‘short’ notes!

We'll see you soon!
xoxoxoxo
W, T and D


Buffy's shoulders had slumped by the time she started reading, and when she got to the end of the note she had a full on pout. So, no share time for Buffy yet. And I actually had the nerve too. She looked at the note again and reread the big brother Spike part. She smiled when she’d read it the first time, and the second time around was no different. Spike certainly wasn’t the vampire they had all met years before. The thought of a master vampire taking care of her teenage sister probably should have made her hackles rise, but she’d seen the way he was with Dawn, the way he was with her friends, and the way he was even when he was alone while she was gone and she felt totally comfortable with him taking over the role of protector and caregiver of her sister.

The smile quickly faded from her face though. Well, what am I supposed to do while they’re all living their lives like I never left and came back? She glared at the note in her hand as if it were offensive just by being the vehicle for the delivery of the message letting her know she was, for the moment, without a single soul to talk to. Or soulless to talk to.

With a pouty huff, she sat the note on the island and walked to the refrigerator.

One bowl of cereal later found the Slayer sitting in her kitchen bored out of her mind. She stood up and carried her bowl and spoon to the sink, rinsed them out and put them in the dishwasher, then turned around and began to investigate every inch of the kitchen, hoping something she could do would come to her, or someone would magically appear in front of her. This was Sunnydale after all, anything was possible. But there was still no one there. She wondered if Spike was asleep and then mentally slapped herself when she realized how stupid that was. One, it was still early. And two, if he was awake, surely he'd be upstairs already.

She walked into the living room and sat on the couch. After turning the TV on, she absently flipped through the channels, but nothing caught her eye, so she turned it back off. She got up and walked to the basement door and stood completely still with her ear cocked, trying to see if Spike was making any noise to indicate he was awake. Hearing nothing, she left the kitchen and walked upstairs.

Nothing upstairs appealed to her either, so she went back down. Walked to the basement door. Listened, nothing but silence.

Moved to the dining room. Nothing there either. Basement door. Silence.

Backyard. Nada. Door. Silence.

She'd covered basically every inch of the house, and found nothing to do. Well, almost nothing. She'd counted the tiles in the bathroom.

During her last, and probably hundredth, trip to the basement door she heard the front door open. She heaved a sigh of relief, "Finally," and took off for the foyer at a run. Coming around the corner, she took Willow and Tara by surprise when she was suddenly in front of them bellowing, "You're home!"

Wearing matching expressions of shock, the two females put their hands to their chests and let out little mini gasps.

"Geez Buffy." Willow said. "You nearly gave me a heart attack."

Buffy looked appropriately shamefaced, "Sorry Wills. But I've been bored outta my mind. Hey! Did you know there are 488 tiles in the shower? Doesn't look like there's that many, but there are. Trust me. I counted 'em." She nodded, eyes wide and serious.

The two females in front of here gave her an odd look. “You counted the tiles in the bathroom?” Willow asked with her a brow arched.

Buffy nodded vigorously, “Mm-hm. And there are 488.” She scrunched her face a bit. “Well, that‘s more of an approximately. I may have lost my place a few times.”

Willow nodded. “Uh-huh.” Her girlfriend said nothing, only stood beside her with a slight grin

The three females stood in the foyer for a few beats and then made their way into the dining room.

Buffy walked behind Willow and Tara with her hands clasped behind her back bouncing with each step she took. “So, did you get the classes you wanted?” she asked.

“Yup,” Willow answered with a nod, and the blonde next her nodded along with. “I got Sociology, a class on designing and formatting computers and a super fun scientific theories class.” She added with a not so small amount of enthusiasm. “Plus all the other core classes. It‘s gonna be great.”

Buffy chuckled at Willow and her love of school, and then turned to Tara. “You?”

The shy blonde nodded again. “I got Art Appreciation, Music Theory, and Sociology. Plus the core classes.”

The Slayer then nodded herself. “Cool.”

Now that her two friends were finally home, Buffy found herself nervous. Alright chica. The time has come. You‘re the Slayer, not a fraidy cat. One part of her brain ordered. I don’t really feel like talking right now thank you very much. Another part answered.

She was studying every item on the dining room table while also studiously avoiding eye contact with her two friends. She knew she was just stalling; she just wasn’t sure why she suddenly wasn’t in sharing mode anymore. She’d been waiting, completely void of patience, the entire morning for the witches to get home so that she could talk to them. And now that they were here, she couldn’t bring herself to begin.

Willow and Tara noticed Buffy’s anxious movements and looked at each other inquisitively, to which they both responded with a shrug. They continued to watch the Slayer in silence, observing her inspection of every book on the table and her scrunched up, thoughtful, face.

Thoughtful was what she was too. Not just thoughtful. Totally thoughtful. Deep in thoughtful. She’d gotten the different parts of her brain to join forces so that she only had one stream of Buffy thoughts running through her head. But she was still having a hard time making her mouth work. Well, how the hell am I supposed to start this destined to be awkward conversation? She glanced up from the book she was flipping through absently and took notice of the look on her friends’ faces. Wait a sec here Buffy. She told herself. Isn’t the whole reason you’re talking to Willow and Tara because they’re Willow and Tara and they won’t wig like everyone else? Duh! Ugh. The inner Buffy had split again into two Buffies. She mentally sent a glare towards yet another part of her brain. The part that had a tendency to mimic Cordelia. Shut up you! I don‘t need the split personalities of my brain bein‘ all smart sassy with me! She closed the book and let out a huff of resignation. She looked at the other girls and did a half eye roll. “Can I talk to you guys?” She asked hesitantly.

“’Course you can Buff.” Willow answered. “’Bout anything.”

Buffy nodded and sighed, a tinge of relief evident. “’Kay. Good. You think maybe we can…?” She waved her hand in the direction of the living room.

“Sure,” Both girls answered her.

The three friends moved to the room indicated; the couple taking seats on the couch and the Slayer on the coffee table in front of them.

“What’s up?” Willow asked with wide, inviting eyes.

“Is everything okay?” Tara asked in a soft voice with gentility pouring out of her own eyes.

A bit of the tension that found itself housed in Buffy’s shoulders dissipated at their looks. She smiled, “Yes. Everything is fine.” She cleared her throat and glanced at her hands clasped in her lap. “I just… um… There’s a few things I haven’t told any of you about my time… away.”

Willow’s eyes widened again, but from surprise this time. Buffy had been so vehement in her telling them all that she had told them everything there was to tell about her time in Summerland. While her best friend had, at times, been known to omit things or alter her description of things, Willow never expected Buffy would have held back things concerning this. I mean, what could’ve happened that’d be such a big deal that she couldn‘t tell us?

Tara sat with her look unchanging. With her innate sense to ‘see’ things, feel things, and know things; she had suspected there was more to the Slayer’s story. Knowing that Buffy would soon come to them of her volition, she had not felt the need or desire to say anything to Willow or anyone else.

When Buffy didn’t offer any thing else to them, Willow spoke up. “Like what?”

“Not anything big.” Buffy was quick to assure. “Just little minor things. Hardly even noticeable. Maybe with a magnifying glass or microscope. But that’s the only way they’re noticeable.”

Tara sat, still patient, while Willow gave Buffy a look letting her know that she knew what Buffy was doing. Over the years, Willow had learned how to tell when Buffy was trying to downplay a situation and its importance.

“Well, we all know I have both of those things. But why not save me the trouble and headache from staring at tiny things and just tell me what’s up?” Willow joked.

Buffy chuckled. “I wasn’t really sure that it was worth mentioning. I mean, it doesn’t really have anything to do with whatever prophecy has my name on it. Or the whole me coming back thing.” She shrugged. “But then I remembered that Whistler doesn’t really mention much, or well, anything really, unless it has to do with the end of the world, me killing something or other mystical, supernatural stuff.”

“True,” Willow agreed. “So, what’d he mention?”

“Well, it’s not really something he mentioned, so much as something he said.” Of the dubious look her friend gave her she rolled her eyes and quickly added. “I know I said mention and I know you have to say something to mention it, and to mention something is to say something. But you know what I mean. He didn’t specifically mention anything, as much as he talked about certain things.”

“Like?” Tara asked softly.

“Well first, like, as soon as I got there, he started in on this whole ‘you have to get over this white and black vibe and realize there’s some gray’ thing. Then he made it a point to say in not so many words that I was extremely close minded, even for a Slayer.”

Willow shook her head, “I don’t usually not get things, but I don’t get that. What does any of that have to do with anything?”

Buffy waved her hand in the redhead’s direction. “Exactly what I said. And thought. The sense was nowhere to be found.”

“Maybe it does have something to do with you coming back and the prophecy?” Tara offered quietly.

“Like what?” Buffy asked as she and Willow looked at the other blonde.

“Maybe knowing there’s a gray area is really important for what you have to do? I’m sure there’s a reason he was so big on it.” Tara sent her girlfriend a look which conveyed the need for Willow to think.

Willow’s eyes widened for a fraction of a second when she realized what Tara was getting at. Of course. She thought back over the Scooby meeting the night before. The Guardians of The Median. Median… balance… white… black… gray. She turned back to Buffy. “Tara’s right. It has to be important for some reason.”

Buffy shook her head, “Well, I’m not getting the reason. Seems like he was just letting out some of that hot air he has stored up.”

When Willow realized Buffy wasn’t going to say anything else, again, she asked, “Is that all?”

“Yes. No. Yes. Maybe.” She answered quickly, and then slumped her shoulders. “No. There was other stuff.” She sat back up. “But it’s even larger with the no sense-making.”

“Well, give us a shot at making the sense.”

“He talked a lot, I mean, a lot about… smnk” Her voice trailed off to a mumble.

“Huh? About what?” Willow asked

“Smnik.” The Slayer mumbled again.

“What? Smoke?” Willow asked confused. “But you don’t smoke.” She eyed Buffy sharply. “Do you?”

Buffy made a face, “Eww, Will. No.” Then she rolled her eyes and sighed loudly, “Spike. He talked a lot about Spike.”

“Spike?” Willow echoed incredulous, sitting up straight. She couldn’t figure what the heck Spike had anything to do with what Whistler said to her best friend.

Tara sat beside Willow with the same open, serene, look on her face, waiting for Buffy to continue.

“Yes,” Buffy answered.

“Why Spike?”

“I don’t know!” Buffy huffed.

“Spike?” Willow repeated.

“Yes,” Buffy responded with irritation in her voice.

“Why Spike?”

“I don’t know?” She said in the same fashion. Then trying to take away from the importance of the platinum vampire’s mention she added, “He talked about Angel too.”

This seemed to make more sense to Willow and she moved back against the cushions. “Okay. I‘m back with the getting now.”

“But more about Spike.”

“And now I’m not.” Willow sat back up. “Why Spike?”

Buffy glared at her friend. “Will, I love you dearly, but if you ask me that question again, I won’t be responsible for my actions.”

“I’m sorry Buffy,” Willow said with sincerity. “This is just a loop thrower.”

“You’re telling me,” Buffy agreed.

“So what all did he say?”

“He was just all with the, ‘Yay! Go Spike’ the entire time I was there.” She shrugged. “Mom was too.” She turned to face the two on the couch quickly. “There was actually a lot of Angel hating pouring out of my mom. She was kinda mean at times.” She shook her head. “Whatever. Anyway, they were both all about making me admit that Spike maybe wasn’t as evil as we all thought. And that I should maybe give him the benefit of the doubt.”

Tara finally spoke up. “I’ve never thought he was all that bad.” She looked at Willow and then Buffy. “It’s in his eyes, you know?”

Willow agreed. “Yeah, now. I mean, after the funeral, he pretty much proved to anyone willing to see that he wasn’t such a big bad anymore.”

Buffy smiled softly at her friend. “You more so than the others.” She looked down at her hands again. “Even if Whistler hadn’t been cheering the ‘go Spike’ cheer, after seeing what he put himself through, when he was pulling a Buffy, I wouldn’t have been able to continue thinking he was pure evil.”

“I don’t think anyone could have thought of him as pure evil after that,” Tara added.

“Yeah,” Willow agreed. “Just look at Xander and Giles. Who knew they could be all defender-y over Spike? I know I didn’t.”

“Me neither,” Buffy answered. “That one was totally out of left field for me.”

“I don’t know. Everyone could see his torment was genuine. Why wouldn’t they defend and comfort him?” Tara asked innocently.

Buffy and Willow both scoffed and then Buffy answered. “You can’t even begin to imagine the many levels of hate that Xander and Giles have for Spike.” She cocked her head to the side. “Or had.” Shaking her head to clear her thoughts she added, “They’ve hated him for many other reasons than the fact that he’s a vampire. He’s tried to kill us all on way too many occasions to count.”

“Very true,” Willow said. “He tried to kill us way more times than Angel ever did. Flashbacks of broken bottles flash through my mind.”

“If that’s why they hate him so much, why don’t you?” Tara asked her girlfriend and Buffy.

“Oh, I hated him. But not to the same degree as Xander and Giles.” Willow smiled a little. “When he first got his chip, he came to mine and Buffy’s dorm room.” She looked at Buffy. “You remember that night right? When the Initiative was in attack everyone mode?” Without waiting for an answer she turned back to Tara. “He came in looking for Buffy, to kill her, but she wasn’t there. He tried biting me and the chip fired. Then he totally wigged. Kept talking about how he was too young for this sort of thing. That it had never happened to him before. This was right after Oz left, so I naturally thought it was me. That he couldn’t bite because he’d wanted to bite Buffy but had to settle for me. And it upset me.”

“Do you have any idea how crazy that sounds Will?” Buffy asked smiling. “Your feelings were hurt because you thought a vampire couldn’t kill you because he was settling for less than what he wanted?”

Willow rolled her eyes, “I know, pretty stupid, huh? But I thought it was me. And he tried his hardest to make me feel better.” She shook her head. “Right after he’d just tried to kill me, he sat on the bed with me and told me he’d bite me for sure, if he could. And it made me feel better. He even remembered what I was wearing the first time he’d ever seen me.” She chuckled.

“That just goes to show that he was never quite as bad as everyone thought,” Tara declared. “I think that, he was only as ‘evil’ as he was, because he thought he was supposed to be.” The other two just looked at her, as a result her stutter made itself known a bit. “Th-think about it. W-would a random vamp n-notice that he’d hurt a hu-human’s feelings? A-and then try to make them feel better?”

“Well, no. But Spike isn’t a random vamp,” Willow answered.

Tara shrugged. “That’s my point.” She looked at Willow pointedly. “Spike’s not a random vampire. He’s different.”

Willow could see where her girlfriend was going with this. She just wasn’t sure what to think of that direction. Talks of prophecies, Slayers and vampires popped into her head. Was it possible that this prophecy wasn’t about Angel? She knew Xander and Dawn would be thrilled if it weren’t. And Dawn would be almost ecstatic if it was about Spike and Buffy, but she wasn’t sure how thrilled Xander would be if it turned out to be Spike. Sure, they’re getting along now, but is that gonna last long? Xander can be Mr. Moody when he wants, and Spike is always driving him crazy. What if he takes it too far one time and Xander goes back to Angel and Spike hating. She was brought out of her thoughts when Buffy spoke.

“He may not be a random vampire, but I still can’t figure why Whistler thought it was important for me to not hate him so much.” That was a lie. She pretty much had a feeling about Whistler’s intentions. But she didn’t know how her friends would feel about that, so she was playing dumb with the hopes that they would be the ones to bring it up. Then she could see their reactions before she let them in on her own. She wasn’t sure they would be all too receptive of her changing feelings towards the master vampire. That, coupled with the thought that he might, in some way, be connected to her coming back was a lot for her to expect them to take in. So she kept her own feelings and thoughts on the subject mum for now.

Having thought about it for a few moments, Willow could see that there may be a connection between everything that had happened recently. “I don’t know Buffy. There’s gotta be a legitimate reason. He wouldn’t just mention stuff for no reason. Not when you were up in that limbo place and he’s explaining a little about this prophecy you gotta fulfill, he wouldn’t just say all that for nothing.”

“I guess. But if it wasn’t for nothing, what was it for?” Buffy asked looking back and forth between the girls.

“Guess we’ll just have to find out, huh?” Willow responded with a grin.

“I’m sure if we actually thought about it long enough and hard enough, we’d see what the reason or reasons were.” Tara commented knowingly. “I really don’t think Spike’s ever been completely evil. I mean, I know I didn’t know him years ago when he was trying to kill you guys all the time. But he’s never been overtly evil to me. Remember when my family came and tried to take me away. They had me convinced I was part demon for years and Spike punched me in the nose to prove them wrong.”

“Yeah, cuz punching someone in the nose is a sure fire way to show you aren’t evil anymore,” Buffy commented dryly.

“It is when he felt more pain as a result than I did.” Tara’s voice was steady and strong, a sign that she felt very strongly about what she was saying. “He hardly tapped me. Sure, it hurt, but for a vampire? It was a wimpy punch, and it was to help me, not hurt me.”

“And remember when we were doing the spell to invoke the essence of the First Slayer?” Willow asked Buffy. “Okay, so he’d been helping Adam try to split us up, but in the end he helped us. He fought demons right beside us, even when it was extremely possible for us to decide to turn the weapons around on him.” She sat thoughtful for a few beats. “And he was always willing to help protect your mom and Dawn when Glory was around. He got tortured to keep Dawnie safe. A random vampire wouldn’t do that.”

“I know,” Buffy admitted softly. “There’s actually quite a few things that lean towards him not being so evil.”

Her two friends sat on the couch with their eyebrows high, waiting for her to speak again.

Here goes. She sighed and sat up straight. “If I tell you guys something, do you promise to hold off on having me admitted to a loony bin?”

“Buffy…” Willow said reproachfully. “You know that won’t happen.” When the Slayer looked at her strangely she amended. “I mean, we won’t try to have you admitted no matter what you say.”

“You know you can tell us anything Buffy.” Tara offered in her soothing tone.

“Right. I know.” She gathered her thoughts for a bit and then started speaking again. “It’s just… I’ve been thinking these things that I wouldn’t normally think. About Spike.”

“Like what?” Willow asked, her eyes wide.

“Like, maybe I’ve been totally wrong.” She took a deep breath and looked up at the ceiling. “Like, he’s actually a great guy. Or vampire, whatever. Everything I saw while I was in Summerland turned everything I’ve seen in the past upside down and inside out. The whole, him going catatonic and feeling guilty. All the stuff he said. And I don’t mean just when he was stuck in his head. When he was at my grave too. I just… I dunno. It’s almost like, I… like him.” She trailed off bashfully. “I know. How wacky is that? Maybe you should rethink that whole loony bin thing.”

Willow sat silent, considering what Buffy had just told them.

When Tara realized Willow wasn’t going to say anything to reassure the small blonde, she decided she would. “It’s not wacky at all, sweetie. He loves you. A lot. And he is a great guy… um, vampire. He took care of all us while you were gone. Especially Dawn. He patrolled every night.”

“I know.” Buffy said quietly. “It’s just so weird. I mean, aside from the past badness with me and vampires being more than friendly, it’s Spike! Pain in my ass, thorn in my side, gnat in my ear, vampire on my turf Spike.” She slumped down and put her head in her hands. “I must be going crazy. Maybe it’s a side effect of being dead. I came back with my brain not so much intact.”

“I don’t know Buffy.” Willow said slowly. “He has changed a lot. He’s not the same vampire that blew into town with his psycho sire.”

Buffy looked up at her friend sharply and pursed her lips. “You’re not making this any easier on me Will. You’re supposed to be all ‘Spike is bad. Spike is evil’ and you’re supposed to tell me that you worry for my mental health because I might be developing warm fuzzies for my arch nemesis.”

Willow’s eyes widened even more at that last statement. “Warm fuzzies?”

The Slayer growled and her head fell back into her hands. “Am I seriously saying these things?”

Tara sat up and placed a gentle hand on Buffy’s shoulder. “It’s alright sweetie. You’re not insane. Your mental health is perfectly fine. It may be a bit unconventional and surprising right now, but it’s really not all that strange.”

“How d’ya figure?” Buffy asked in a muffled voice.

Tara rubbed her hand along the Slayer’s arm soothingly. “Think about everything that’s just been said. He’s changed. And he’s done a lot of good lately.”

“Yeah. And, plus side?” Willow offered. “We don’t have to worry about him gettin’ too jolly on us and goin’ all ‘grr’ like Angel did.”

“No. We don’t.” Buffy agreed raising her head again. “But that’s because he already is ‘grr’.”

“Do you honestly believe that?” Tara asked, her eyes peering deep into Buffy’s.

Buffy pouted again. “No. Not really.”

The two witches on the couch both gave her looks that clearly said ’See?’

“The only ’grr’ part about this is when you tell the guys,” Willow commented.

“Ugh. So not wanting to think about that right now,” Buffy complained. “There’s not even really anything to tell them anyway.”

Willow looked at her friend with an arched eye brow, her expression clearly saying ‘maybe you are insane’.

Buffy scrunched her face and furrowed her brow, “What? There’s not.”

“Uh-huh. And what crazy bizarre-o world is it that you live in again?” Willow asked incredulously. “’Cuz, me? I live in the not quite as bizarre-o world where Giles and Xander will wig over any friendly or warm fuzzy type feelings you have for any vampire. Especially Spike.”

“Even if they’re all on board the ‘Spike’s a bud’ train?” Buffy asked with a hint of hesitancy in her voice.

Willow nodded, “Even if they have season pass type tickets.” She gave Buffy a look that conveyed how she thought her friend should know this. “You know how they are Buffy. Ever since the badness that was Angel, whenever your feelings towards a male change, theirs do too. Especially Xander’s.”

Buffy huffed and slumped her shoulders. “Well, that’s ‘cuz they’re just stupid boys.”

Tara nodded. “Boys are stupid.” When the other two girls looked at her with half smiles, a full blown grin bloomed on her face, and soon all three were laughing.

When they had calmed down a bit, Willow spoke again. “Ya know Buffy, you could always hop on board our train,” She teased the Slayer.

Buffy shook her head, “Nah. As stupid as they are, boys still have certain parts which are appealing to me. Thanks though,” She answered wryly, causing all three to laugh again.

Once the laughter had died down again, the serious air returned. The red headed witch turned to her blond friend. “So, what’re you gonna do?”

“Ignore things ‘til they go away?” Buffy asked hopeful.

To which Willow responded with a reproachful look.

“Completely avoid Spike at all costs?”

Willow’s look was unwavering, and Tara had joined forces.

“Be a good little Slayer and talk to my Watcher?”

“That’s our little Slayer,” Willow said encouraging.

“But… unh…” Buffy pouted. “What am I gonna say? ‘Hey Giles! I know you still aren’t quite over my last not always evil boyfriend that turned into the Massacre King, but I think I’m crushing for another almost always evil reigning royal. But don’t worry, this one doesn’t have a soul to lose, he’s already soulless. So how ‘bout that weather huh?’” She shook her head slightly. “I’m sure that’s not something he’ll want to hear.”

“Well, not if you say it like that, he won’t. He‘ll throw a good British wiggins at first, but he‘ll deal. Just like Xander will.” Willow pursed her lips and gave Buffy a look. “And- didn’t we just have the ‘Spike’s not really so evil’ conversation?”

“Yeah, but it’s only us who doesn’t think he’s so evil.”

“Ok, didn’t we just have that other conversation where we talked about how the guys didn’t hate him so much anymore.” Willow looked at her girlfriend. “I think we did. I was sitting right here. I haven’t moved.”

Tara shook her head and gave a small smile. “I haven’t either.”

“’Kay. Just making sure.” Willow turned back to Buffy. “Was it a pod Buffy that was sitting where you’re sitting? ‘Cuz I could swear you were there too.”

“Okay, sheesh, you’re smarty britches witches today aren’t’cha?” Buffy’s voice held no heat, and her face was graced with a smile.

Willow shrugged, “We do what we can.” There was a pause and then she spoke again, “So, ‘bout that whole ‘what you’re gonna do’ thing?”

“Do I have to? I know you said they don’t hate him as much as they used to, but it’s that first initial wig that I’m not lookin’ forward to,” Buffy whined.

“Of course you have to Buffy, you know it’ll be even worse later if you don’t tell them now.” Willow advised wisely, with Tara nodding agreeably. .

Buffy’s voice took on a high pitched quality to accompany her whine, “But… I don’t wanna. Can‘t you do it for me?” She asked with pleading eyes.

“Uh-uh sister. This is all you,” Willow answered with a shake of the head.

Buffy huffed. “Can I just tell you how much this sucks?”

“It doesn’t suck,” Willow said, but when Buffy and Tara gave her dubious looks she amended, “Well, it doesn’t suck yet.”

“What doesn’t suck?” A new voice rang out through the living room.

Buffy jumped, what she assumed to be ten feet, in the air, her eyes widening. Tara and Willow jumped a bit from the surprise also, but didn’t look anywhere near as nervous as Buffy.

Spike walked into the room a bit more, “Well- aside from me anyway.”

Buffy turned sharply towards the new arrival. “Spike!” Her voice squeaked. She cleared her throat and tried speaking without sounding like a mouse. “What are you doing?”

He padded barefoot to the desk and took a seat in the chair. “Playin’ footie, you?”

The Slayer glared, sans heat. “Funny.”

“I thought so.” He smirked and winked at her.

Tara spoke up softly from her perch on the couch. “Did you sleep well, Spike?”

He nodded in her direction. “Yeah ducks. Jus’ fine thanks.” He gave her a small smile and then turned his eyes back to the blonde still watching him. “What about you Slayer?”

“Fine.” She squeaked out. She pursed her lips and scrunched up her face when she heard herself do another impersonation of Minnie. “All’s right as rain in Buffyland.”

“Yeah.” Spike said. He arched a brow and looked at her with curiosity brimming over. “So, you gals havin’ a gab fest then, are ya?” He pulled his eyes away from his love and looked to the other two females.

Willow suddenly looked nervous, just like Buffy. It was just another part of the best friend contract- another loop hole, if you will. If one’s best friend was incredibly nervous about a crush finding out they were a crush, well, then it was required that the best friend of the nervous party also be nervous. “We weren’t talking about anything.” The red head’s voice took on a squeaky quality also.

“Oookay.” Spike gave her strange look. He sat silent, observing the three females and their movements.

Tara sat with a small knowing smile on her face looking at the other three occupants of the room every once in a while. Willow sat with wide eyes flitting between Buffy and Spike. Buffy sat with her hands in her lap twitching and her eyes wide and nervous.

“Well.” Spike drawled out coming to his feet. “This has just been a hoot and a half. All this enlightening conversation is enough to make a bloke peckish. If you ladies’ll excuse me.” And with that he left the living room headed for the kitchen.

Willow and Buffy both let out large puffs of air when he left, their shoulders sagging. Tara simply chuckled to herself at the actions of the other two.

“Wow. That was a close one,” Willow commented.

“Uh, yeah, little too close for me,” Buffy added.

“You know,” Tara started, “he’s gonna find out sooner or later. What’s the point in being all nervous and twitchy around him? That alone will tip him off that something’s different.”

Buffy began shaking her head vehemently. “Uh-uh. No, no, no. He’s not gonna know anything anytime. Ever. There’s nothing to know anyway. It’s just temporary insanity from rising from the dead. That’s all.”

“What happened to being a good little Slayer? And telling your Watcher? Figuring out what’s the what?” Willow asked her best friend.

“There’s no telling to be had," Buffy answered with finality. “I’ll get over it. It’s just a fluke.”

“Yeah.” Willow nodded. “I know all about those flukes. And they don’t really just go away cuz you ignore ‘em. Trust me. You’re not fluking. If you were, you wouldn’t have said all the things you said earlier.”

Buffy gave her an unsure look. “That was a fluke too?”

Willow simply shook her head in the negative, not even bothering to answer verbally.

“Fine.” Buffy finally relented. “I’m fluke-free. You happy now?”

Willow smiled. “Gotta say, I am feelin’ pretty darn good right now.”

“So, when are you going for confession then?” Tara asked with a smile.

“Ugh. Confession’s right.” Buffy grumbled standing. “Forgive me father, for I am insane.”

Her two friends giggled at her words and she left the room.

When Buffy reached the top of the stairs their giggles quieted and they both adopted serious looks.

Willow looked at her girlfriend. “This is gonna put a whole new twisty top spin on everything isn’t it?”

Tara returned her gaze and shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe not. We’ll just have to see.”

“What’re we gonna do if she doesn’t spill to everyone else soon? It might be kinda important, ya know, in the grand scheme of things,” Willow asked.

“I don’t really think it’s our place to tell Will.”

“Well, no. But- grand scheme and all?” The red head tried to convey the importance to her girlfriend.

“I get the importance factor, Will. But I think this something Buffy has to figure out and tell on her own.”

Willow eyed Tara. “How is it that you’re always right?”

“It’s a gift,” Tara answered with a smile.

“I don’t like knowing stuff and not being able to let others know that I know,” Willow grumbled. “This is just like when Giles was gonna leave for England last year and he told me, but told me I couldn’t say anything. I’m not good with knowing things others can’t know.”

“You’ll be fine Will.” Tara assured her.

“I’ll just be glad when Buffy plays ‘True Confessions’, and I won’t have to pretend not to know things anymore.”

Neither noticed the bleach blond around the corner listening in.




tbc...



Please, let me know what you think....

Also, my beta is super busy right now, so if there's anyone with beta like qualities lingering around out there, willing to beta, contact me! Please? I love my Ria, but I don't wanna add to her already heavy load, so a substitute beta may be in order for a while. Thanks! Ya'll are stellar!
CHAPTER FOURTEEN by Emmee
Author's Notes:
Guys... *sigh* Ok, seriously, I hope that I still have readers out there. You have no idea how crazy tornado like my life has been lately. Got promoted, got married, moved, got demoted (cuz someone lied about me, we're rectifying that now), couldn't find a beta, lost two before they started. Then I found the lovely Maggie, who also happens to live in this hell hole called Indiana. So, since you had to wait so long, if you're still out there that is, I have a special. TWO chappies at once. This is a first for me. See? You can tell I've still been working on it, just took a while. HUGE, HUGE, can't even describe the bigness of them, thanks to Maggie for rescuing me and doing a fabulous job beta'ing for me. You rock! And the same sized thanks goes to all who have reviewed. You guys are my inspiration, keeps the story going in my head cuz I wonder what else you'll like.
__________________________________




Previously... Buffy spilled some of the beans to Willow and Tara, and Spike nearly caught the conversation.



__________________________________





CHAPTER FOURTEEN-
(One tiny little line borrowed from Angel Season 5 “Damage” & one tiny little comment borrowed from some dude on American Idol that I thought would fit as a weak Buffy joke.)



When Buffy reached the sanctity of her room, her heart finally stopped thumping like a drummer on speed during the climax of a song, and her breathing evened out to its normal rate. She paced around her room deep in thought. Back and forth, her mind a collage of thoughts going so fast, it was as if there were only one constant.


Although her conversation with Willow and Tara made her feel better, she was still way beyond confused when she thought about Spike and his new found place in her life, and what it might mean. The girls were right though. She had to come clean. She had to tell Giles, she had to tell Xander- and oh what fun that would be- and she had to not be avoid-o girl. At twenty years old, she figured she was probably past the point of crushing and hiding and denying. That’d just lead to badness for all. She was a grown woman now; if she liked someone, it was her business. Right?


She let out a snort, “Of course right. I am my own woman. I’ll like who I like, when I like them and as much as I wanna. I don’t hafta be all scared and nervous just because Giles is old fashioned and stodgy and Xander is a pigheaded bigot.” She nodded her head with finality and started towards the door but stopped just short of it.


’Cept, what if they get mad at me?


She turned back around and started pacing. “Who cares if they get mad at you? They’ll get over it.” She nodded again and headed to the door. Just before she could turn the knob she stopped again.


Will they?


She half turned away, “Yes, they will.”


Back to the door, stop.


Are you sure?


She rolled her eyes, “Well, I’m honestly not sure of anything right now seeing as I’m talking to myself and then responding to the questions like I’m a totally different person. Maybe I did come back crazy and this is all some side effect, and I need a Doctor that prescribes medicine that makes people not crazy.”


She plopped onto the floor, right where she was, resigning herself to the fact that she wasn’t going anywhere until she got the two conversing sides of herself in agreement or until she somehow got the one big mondo sized roadrunner thought split back into however many pieces. Until all her thoughts were safely back in there own perspective homes, not pounding on the sides of her head and making her think so much, she was virtually her own prisoner.


__________________________________



Spike listened in on the Witches’ conversation a few moments longer, but it quickly turned to things he wasn’t interested in so he went about his business heating up some blood. As he stuck his mug into the microwave he began thinking of the twitchy way the Slayer and Red were acting when he came into the living room, and the know-it-all grin Glinda had been sporting. The fact that the two best friends’ voices took on a squeaky quality when they spoke lent quite a bit of credence to his theory that there was something he didn’t know that the females in the next room now did. Then hearing the two lover witches confirm it while he eavesdropped made his mind up for him.


He was just going to have to irritate the hell out of the Slayer until she finally came clean with him too.


The microwave dinged and he retrieved his mug and began formulating his plan. When the Slayer goes on patrol tonight, I’ll ’lend’ a hand, get her all nice and comfortable like with the conversation and then slip in some subtle comments, or questions, and she’ll spill. He figured he could just use the method practiced by humans, and demons alike, across the ages. A bit of word play and he’d have his answer. Always have been able to ruffle her feathers.


With s self-satisfied smirk at his brilliance, he set his mug in the sink and made his way to the basement for further planning

__________________________________



Buffy stayed holed up in her room for quite some time, trying her best to get the two sides of herself to come together and form one side, and her one big momma thought to have babies. If there’s only one, is it really a side? She asked herself once she’d accomplished that task and moved onto the next, readying her handy dandy Slayer patrolling bag for, well, patrol.


Throwing in a few vials of Holy Water, stakes, daggers, a hatchet and a crossbow she pondered something entirely different, this time asking the question aloud. “Why do I always put so much stuff in my bag, which only weighs it down and makes it harder to move, *when all I usually ever use is my stake? Doesn’t seem like sensible Slayer practice to me, seems kinda non Slayer like actually. Like packing for two weeks when a trip only lasts a weekend.”


“I think it’s something you birds hand down generation to generation, cuz in the history of the world, that’s one thing that’s always been a constant. You women will always bring too much stuff, no matter where you’re going.” Spike’s voice suddenly spoke up from her doorway, making her jump about three feet off the floor.


“Spike!” She placed her hand over her chest trying to recover from her almost heart attack. When she finally got her breathing under control she scowled at him. “Don’t you know how to knock?”


The vampire simply shrugged. “Well, yeah, but if I knock you don’t do that funny jumping thing.” He gestured in her direction wiggling his fingers.


“Well, I’m about to do that funny slaying thing if you don’t watch it.” She shot back, trying and not at all succeeding in sounding threatening. Which was clearly evident by the lack of anything but humor showing on Spike’s face. “What do you want anyway?” She scowled at his ever present smirk.


He stepped more fully into the room and started fiddling with the little knick knacks on Buffy’s vanity. “I was gettin’ ready to patrol, figured I’d come see if you wanted to come with.”


Buffy’s face had a look of disbelief etched across it. “Excuse me? What’re you talking about? You were getting ready to patrol, so you figured you’d come ask me if I wanted to come with? I patrol, you tag along and shout your usefulness to the world while you watch me fight.”


Spike stood up to his full height and then some. “I’ll have you know that I became quite the master patroller while you were gone on vacation.”


Buffy giggled, “So what? Now you’re the Master Patroller of Sunnydale instead of the Master Vampire?” She giggled again as she reached for her bag and started towards the door. “And I wasn’t on vacation you doof. I was dead.” She called over her shoulder as she exited her bedroom, Spike following behind.


“I like to think you were on vacation thanks. I’m not to keen on rememberin’ you were dead, if you don’t mind.” He answered her sullen.


She stopped and turned around to face him. Slapping him lightly on the shoulder she said, “Don’t be so serious, it’ll give you wrinkles.”


“I don’t get wrinkles you dozy bint.”


“Yeah, which that- totally unfair.” They started their way down the stairs. “And I’m not a… either one of those things you just called me.”


They reached the front door and Spike, completely ignoring her comment, bellowed throughout the house, “Ladies, I’m goin’ patrollin’!”


From the depths of the house sounded three resounding “’Kay!”’s.


Then Dawn was heard, “Is Buffy going with?”


Buffy rolled her eyes, “What is it with you people?” She shouted back. “I don’t go with or come with. I go and do, he comes!”


Spike’s expression changed from one of humor to that of a sexual predator. “Oooh, ’s that a promise Slayer?”

Instead of getting angry, Buffy simply blushed and shouted a quick ‘Bye’ before practically running out the door.


This is gonna be too much fun. Spike thought as he followed her into the night.


__________________________________





The first cemetery they visited was quiet, giving Spike ample enough opportunity to annoy the Slayer as much as he possibly could. Which, this was Spike, and annoying might as well have been his middle name.


But Buffy did what she’d always done best; she’d thrown a wrench in his plan. After his lewd comment at the Summers’ house and Buffy’s unnatural lack of response to said comment, he’d figured it was a one time occurrence and as soon as he opened his mouth again, business would be back to normal.


Only, that wasn’t happening. Instead of rolling her eyes, huffing, sighing and yes, even growling, she’d remained as strangely quiet as the cemetery they were walking through. There had to be something off about the world.


So by the time they reached the second cemetery, Spike was trying out the silent partner bit. They patrolled an entire graveyard in silence. Again- something was off.


They were making their way to the next cemetery when a word was finally spoken


“You miss her?” Spike asked, forgoing his plans, his voice quiet but carrying far because of the silence surrounding them.


Buffy blinked her eyes and looked at him surprised, she‘d been so lost in her thoughts that hearing a voice seemed almost foreign to her ears. “Who now?”


He looked towards her and then straight ahead, digging for a cigarette from his duster pocket. “Yer mum. You miss her don’t you?”


A tinge of sadness outlined Buffy’s eyes as she answered in a whisper. “Yeah. Really, really do.” She cleared her throat, “I mean, I know it wasn’t for that long, but it was long enough. Long enough to get used to seeing her, talking to her, hugging her- all of that. And now, I don’t have that anymore. Again. And this time around it’s gonna be even longer before I have it again.” Tears started pooling in her eyes as she thought about that.


Spike filed what she said away in his head and remained silent hoping that Buffy would continue to talk. She didn’t disappoint.


“Sure,” She continued, wiping her eyes. “We had the whole, big life changing prophecy looming over our heads, but it was still cool to just hang out with her. I mean, they didn’t come right out and say it would be a long time, but they might as well have said it. I can tell from what they said and what they didn’t say that this,” she gestured to herself, “the whole me coming back thing? It isn’t just a ‘you come back from the dead to fight the big epic battle and win it for the good guys then come back’ type of thing. This is a ‘your life has purpose, a meaning, you’re not finished so it’s gonna be a long ass time before you get back here’ type of thing. I just know it.” Her sadness at not seeing her mother again was quickly replaced by the frustration at the whole situation; past, present and future.


Spike still remained silent for once, not about to ruin what was happening.


“It’s just… everything’s happening all at once. Yet, at the same time nothing is happening all at ever. Ya know?” Buffy continued her rant without waiting for Spike to answer her. “They’re all both with the cryptic and the ‘you and your pals gotta figure this one out’ and ‘don’t worry, you won’t be alone’. And then with the ‘don’t forget about the grey areas. If you notice them you’ll see Spike isn’t such a bad guy. Just give him a chance.’ Which, was totally out of left field. And I‘m just so frickin’ confused right now that I don‘t know which is up or down.”


Buffy kept ranting and walking but Spike had stopped dead in his tracks. Now why were the Slayer’s mum and the Powers’ head boy talkin’ ‘bout me up there? Sure, he knew the Slayer was hiding something, but he couldn’t for the unlife of him figure out why he was being mentioned at all. He wasn’t in any part of any big picture. He was just the hapless vamp that fell in love with his sworn mortal enemy. He was just the Slayer’s lapdog.



“I mean, c’mon! I’m supposed to either just know what they’re talking about or be patient while we all figure it out.” She scoffed. “Well, I don’t know. And I’m not patient. So what is it exactly that they’re expecting of me, huh? How am I supposed to-” Her diatribe was cut off mid sentence when she realized Spike was no longer beside her. She turned towards him, a look of confusion on her face, and saw that he had a matching look on his. “What?” She asked as she fully turned, looking to head back towards him.


Spike had about thirty seconds to have an inner debate and reach a decision. If he called her on - what he could only assume to be - her slip, then she would get tight lipped and not say anything else. But on the other hand, he might not have another opportunity for a while to get her talking about it again. Spike knew how precarious a situation like this was with the Slayer. Depending on which way the wind was blowing, she could go either way.


Buffy thought back over everything she’d just said and tried to figure out what would cause the world’s most talkative and annoying vampire to suddenly become mute. She finally realized what she’d said and began to panic, racing through a myriad of stories for explaining it. Oh god. Oh god. Can’t keep it cool can ya girl? Oh no, you gotta open your mouth and do that thing where noise comes out and crazy sounds called words spew forth.


She was making her way back towards Spike with a - what she hoped appeared to be - confused look on her face. I can do this. I can throw a jumbo super sized wiggins inside my head and remain a cucumber outside. As in, cool as a. I’m the Slayer, I’ve mastered this art. She noticed her heart racing in apprehension. Oh sure, like the supernaturally enhanced hearing of a vampire won’t pick that up.


Add that to the fact that Spike was always super perceptive anyway - especially concerning her and especially concerning things she in no way wanted him to know, and she knew she was lying to herself if she thought she could pull this one off.


“Spike?” She called out snapping her fingers when she finally reached him. “Wake up Mr. Blond-Vampy-Man!”


Wake up and tell me you just had some weird zone outy, you all of a sudden can’t move because you’ve lost the ability to put one foot in front of the other or make your mouth work because you’re so old you’re senile sometimes - vampire moment. And not some weird zone outy, you all of a sudden can’t move because you heard me slip up and say something I didn’t mean to say and certainly didn’t mean for you to hear me say and you can guess what said slip up might mean - Spike moment.


Spike seemed to finally snap out of his stupor, but still had yet to move or speak, just met Buffy’s eyes straight on, searching.


Oh god. He’s doing the eye searching thing that always lets him know what’s on someone’s mind…She tried to look away from his piercing gaze, but found herself unable to. Stop it Buffy! It’s not like he’s got some type of x-ray mind reading vision. Plus, you’re a cucumber. A cool, calm, collected, cucumber Buffy.


Spike reached his decision by the time Buffy was in front of him, but when he got a clear look at her eyes and saw the panic she was trying her hardest to mask, he decided to leave her in suspense for another minute or two. He, on the other hand, was able to cover up the amusement he experienced as a result of her panic - he’d had over a hundred and twenty years to master the art of masking one’s feelings, so none of the mirth he felt was evident in his eyes.


He’s decided he wasn’t going to let her slip, slip by unnoticed. Waiting for the Slayer to come clean was often times a lengthy period of time.


It’s enough to make a bloke die of old age, even if he is immortal. Sod it. I’m not waiting on her to come out the land of denial on her own. We could be here for lifetimes waiting on that. Stubborn bint. He thought to himself.


Realizing he’d kept her in suspense long enough, if her ever-increasing heart rate was anything to go by, he finally spoke. “You wanna expand on that last little tid bit there luv?”


Unh. I’m a pickle. She tried for her most innocent face. “Expand on what exactly?”


She wasn’t fooling Spike, he saw straight throught the innocent Slayer act and that fact only caused him to keep up the effort in trying to fish out of her exactly what was going on. “Rewind the tape up here pet,” he said pointing to her head, “and tell ol Spike what you meant by what you said.”


She turned around quickly and started walking again. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She called out over her shoulder.


Spike rolled his eyes and huffed sprinting to catch up with the Slayer again.


Faster than Buffy would’ve imagined possible, even for a vampire, Spike was suddenly in front of her, his hands on her shoulders halting her progress. “Nu-uh Slayer. I’m not one of your sidekicks that’ll just accept everything you say. I heard what you said, so don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about. Why would yer mum and that other bloke talk about me?”


Buffy shook her head, “You must’ve heard wrong. You’re of no interest to them.” She instantly regretted what she’d said when Spike wrenched his hands away as if she were covered in holy water and a flash of pain crossed his face. “I mean, it’s a prophecy about me, why would they mention you?” She hastily added.


Spike stood up straight, his jaw firmly set, “You’re right. Why would they? I’m of no interest or consequence to them, or anyone for that matter. I’m just the bloody fella that took care of your soddin’ friends and family while you were gone. I’m just the bloody fella that patrolled the city while you were gone. I’m just an evil vampire, right?” This time it was his turn to walk away. He whipped around, his duster swishing behind him and stalked away from Buffy, not seeing the guilt on her face.


She ran to catch up with him. “I’m sorry Spike. I didn’t mean it that way. You know how stupid my mouth is sometimes.” She stepped in front of him when she finally caught up, but he easily side stepped her and kept walking. She caught up again and stood in front of him, placing a hand on his chest to prevent him from getting past. When he still refused to look at her she removed her hand from his chest and placed it on the side of his face, turning it so she could look at his eyes. He reluctantly met hers, his nostrils still flaring in obvious anger. “I’m sorry, ok? I really didn’t mean it like that.” Figuring if she wanted to salvage the tenuous relationship they’d formed since her return, she thought better of keeping the truth from him.

Something had definitely changed between Spike and herself since her return. She suddenly found herself with the strong compunction to tell him everything. But she knew she couldn’t do that. She wasn’t even sure what was meant by all of this prophecy stuff, why would she tell someone else, that might be involved, anything until she found out something for sure?


I mean, that’d be like counting your chickens too early, or whatever that stupid saying is. But when she looked into his eyes, she wanted to spill it all. And what could it hurt? It’s not like it’s such a huge deal anyway. Could be they just wanted me to be nicer and give him a chance so we could be friends and he could help me. But that sounded lame even to her, especially given the new feelings that she had developed for the blond vampire recently.


Spike looked into Buffy’s eyes and saw genuine regret and concern beaming back at him. Telling himself it was just detached curiosity that kept him in his place, he waited for her to continue.


She took her hand from his face and started walking again. When he fell into step with her she spoke. “You’re right. They did mention you. Quite a bit actually.” When he looked at her with his brow arched she glanced at him then back to the front. “I don’t know why or what it means, if anything. But they did.”


“What exactly did they say?”


She shrugged and lifted her hand, palm up. “Just what I said. You obviously heard me.” She looked at him and smiled, a genuine smile, which he returned. “It was all so confusing. I mean, I’m not exactly a dumb blonde, but I’m not the brightest crayon either. All that cryptic otherworldly speak starts coming at me and pretty much the only response, or question, that comes out of my mouth is ‘huh?’” She shoved the bit of guilt she felt aside by telling herself that she wasn’t exactly lying to him. Half of what they said to her did confuse her, but at the same time, she pretty much knew what they were alluding to the whole time. “They just said I need to pay attention to the grey more. And constantly tried to drill into my head that you aren’t so bad.”


Spike was so thrilled that someone was actually speaking about him in a positive manner, other than Dawn, that he didn’t pick up on her half-truth. But he was still confused about the reason behind it all. “If it’s a prophecy about you, I’m just trying to figure out why I would be mentioned at all.” They had stopped walking again and were facing each other. Spike shrugged and looked over her shoulder off into the distance. “Jus’ doesn’t make sense is all. The ‘Higher Ups’ don’t usually talk about somethin’ unless they have to. So, what’s the point in mentioning a lowly vampire such as yours truly? I’m just tryin’ to suss it all out, ‘s all.”


Buffy snorted audibly, “You’re not alone in that one. I’ve had a hard time seeing the point in a good majority of any situation I’ve found myself in since I was called. But when you mix in conversations with the Powers’ flunky, who happens to be well versed in evasive conversation tactics, and I’ve got a big ole swirling mess of ‘I don’t know what the hell’s going on’ inside my head.” She shook her head. “So, I’ve decided that I’m just gonna go with the flow. Take it a day at a time. And - insert some other lame cliché here. The gang’ll research and I’ll pretend that I’m actually helpful in that area during the day. Then I’ll patrol at night.” She shrugged. “We’ll just hafta see about the rest.”


At some point they had started walking again and Spike looked at Buffy out of the corner of his eye. “Where do I fit into that equation luv?” He asked, sounding almost scared to hear the answer.


The fear that he would not be needed or wanted any longer, now that she was back, came crashing over him in an instant. He tried to keep his insecurities hidden from everyone, because it just wouldn’t do for the big bad to be worried about getting kicked out of the Slayer’s group, but any insecurities or emotions having to do with the small blonde woman were always hard for him to hide. Especially from her. Sure, he’d had a hundred plus years to teach himself to not let his thoughts and feelings be known - a fact he’d been bragging about only a short time ago - but for some reason, when he got around Buffy, a small part of William came shining through. Ruddy ponce. He internally scowled at himself, waiting for her answer.


Buffy noticed that he was suddenly very nervous and felt a stab of guilt. After a year of helping her, and protecting her family and friends while she was gone, he still felt there was a chance they would throw him into the sun without any cover. We’ve given him a complex. The revulsion she’d felt for herself in Summerland when she’d realized just how horribly they’d treated him - especially herself - was beating on her conscience again.


Deciding to go for the non-serious response, she chuffed him lightly on the shoulder. “Whaddya mean where do you fit in? You’re the Master Patroller right? Seems to me the Master Patroller should be included in the patrolling.”


He turned to her with hope in his eyes. “Really?”


She rolled her eyes in a way that clearly said ‘duh’. “Yes really.” She adopted a serious look. “Ya know, I need to go home.”


Confusion quickly replaced hope and Spike looked to her bewildered. “What? Why?”


“’Cuz, I need to call National Geographic and some other big animal organization and tell them that the Dodo Bird is not extinct.” When confusion remained on his face she continued. “Yeah, it’s not extinct at all. It’s right here on the Hellmouth.”


Spike cracked a half a smile and then glared at her. “Oh, another funny one Slayer. If I weren’t dead already you’d be killing me with the comedic talents you’ve shown off lately.”


She smiled brightly at him. “I know. Aren’t I just the best?” She became genuinely serious then. “Seriously Spike, your place’ll be right here, with me.” Her eyes widened. “With us! Patrolling! Yeah, patrolling… and… doing other helpful… slaying type… things… with… ya know… us. Whole group slayage, group helping thing.”


She thought for a moment that he would reply with some sarcasm laden comment, but instead he replied.


“Right. You lot could definitely use my help. I mean, I am the bloke that’s been trekking through these cemeteries for the past few months, night after night. So, I know all the new demon hot spots.” Just because he hadn’t commented on her most recent slip didn’t mean that his mind wasn’t racing with the possibilities of what she meant, even as he answered.


My place is here, with her? I mean, I knew that. But she didn’t know that. Or didn’t want to know that. But what does she mean by it? The dozy chit and her Freudian slips are gonna make me go completely carrot top. Gods above and below know I can‘t bloody come right out and ask her. I‘m lucky she was honest once tonight. Spike thought to himself.


Relief flooded through her body as he answered her. “See? That’s exactly what I mean.”


They continued on in silence, each lost in their own thoughts and just enjoying the stroll, when suddenly Buffy realized they had made their way out of the area of town housing the cemeteries and into downtown Sunnydale itself. She took in their surroundings and noticed that they were barely a block away from her mother’s gallery. As they neared it, tears prickled her eyes, threatening to spill over. She tried her best to hide them from her vampire companion, but with his heightened sense of smell, he caught whiff of her salty tears in the air. He looked up and saw what had caused her emotions to take such a drastic turn.


Glancing around he saw that there was still a small shop open at that hour. Granted, it was only 9:30, so not that late, but by Sunnydale standards anything after dark was too late for its citizens. “Be back in a half a mo’ luv.” But Buffy didn’t even register that he’d spoken as her eyes were glued to the building in front of them.


When Spike returned, Buffy was looking around trying to discover where he had gone off to. He approached her with his hands held behind his back and a secretive, almost devilish grin, on his face.


She eyed him suspiciously, “Why do you look like the cat that just ate the canary?” When he failed to answer and simply continued to stare she began to fidget. “What?” She asked in an almost irritated voice, his stare and silence both unnerving her.


Spike chuckled at her reaction - That’s my Slayer - but brought his hands from behind his back nonetheless. In them lay a very fat, very squishy looking, yellow duck.


Buffy let out a quick laugh. “What is that?


Spike tsk’d her, shaking his head. “Not what pet, but who.” He lifted the stuffed animal to his right shoulder with both hands. “This is young William.”


“William?” She asked, amusement painted across her face.


“Yes William.” He answered with a glare, then smiled again and puffed out his chest. “He’s m’ namesake.”


She quirked an eyebrow. “Your namesake huh?”


Spike nodded. “Yep.”


Buffy reached forward and tugged gently on the duck’s bill. “And what is young William’s full name?” She had to ask. She’d been curious since Spike’s arrival into her life what his full name was, because she was pretty sure that his birth certificate hadn’t read ‘William The Bloody’.


“’M not tellin’.”


“Awe… c’mon.” She batted her eyelashes at him.


Spike shook his head, tightened his lips and lifted his chin, unaffected by her tactic. “No.”


The Slayer decided it was time to bring out the big gun, her impatience not allowing anything else. Flashing her pout she begged. “Pleeeease?


The vampire glared at her again with a touch more heat and let his arms fall to his sides, the duck still held firmly in his left hand. Just knowing that Buffy was doing a mental happy dance, because she knew she’d won, he answered her. “Wllm Wmwth Athntn.” He quietly mumbled.


“Huh?”


He rolled his eyes skyward and huffed. “William Wodsworth Atherton.” He ground out through clenched teeth. After a moment’s pause he added, “The Third.”


Instead of reacting with a fit of hysterical laughter like he had anticipated, Buffy simply replied with in shock, “You’re a Third?”


“Noo.” He answered slowly as if speaking to a child. “I’m a *Junior.” He lifted ‘William’ into the air again. “He’s a Third.”


Buffy smirked, "So you really are a Junior then huh?"


"Not to the poof I'm not." He growled.


Buffy reached out and took ‘William’ from Spike, pulling him to her chest, cuddling the squishy animal, completely ignoring what Spike had said. “How cute.”


They started walking again, both unconsciously smiling.


Buffy studied ‘William’ intently for a few minutes, playing with his fuzzy yellow hair. She spoke up suddenly, meeting Spike’s eyes. “He needs a nickname too.”


Spike shrugged his shoulders and said, “Call ‘im Spike.”


“No!” She answered, visibly appalled.


“Oi! That is still my name you know.”


Buffy had the grace to look sheepish. “I know and I’m sorry… but… no.”


“Well, why the bloody hell not? His hair even spikes up. See?” He said while tugging at said hair, causing it to stand up even straighter.


Buffy swatted his hand away. “No. We’re not calling him Spike. He needs a non violent, non railroad spike through the head, nickname.” She argued as they came to yet another stop.


“There’s nothing wrong with my name.” Spike grumbled, shifting his feet from side to side with his hands in his pockets.


“Aha! I got it!” Buffy exclaimed as she started walking again, headed back towards the cemeteries. “We’ll call him ‘Willy Waddle’. ‘Cuz if he could walk, you’d hafta wonder, will he walk? Or will he waddle?” She looked at Spike, not taking note of his expression. “Get it? ‘Willy Waddle’. Plus, the middle name.”


Spike was horrified. “I will not call that thing ‘Willy Waddle’!”


“Its his name. Deal.” Buffy said, holding her head high.


“I will not call him that then. And I will not deal.” He stepped in front of her and spun around walking backwards so that he could look at her face. “I’ll not have something carrying on my name called ‘Willy Waddle’.” He proclaimed with a sneer, saying the last in disgust.


She shoved him out of her way playfully, but with her Slayer strength it was enough to cause him to back into a headstone he’d not known was there, and topple over backwards, his legs sticking straight up. Buffy continued walking as if nothing had happened and replied without missing a beat. “Too bad blondie.”


“His name is Spike!” Spike shouted from his sprawled position on the ground.


“No it’s not!” She shouted back still walking.


He jumped to his feet. “Well, it bloody well isn’t soddin’ ‘Willy Waddle’!” He roared to her retreating back.


“Yes it is!”


Spike smiled and shook his head, then ran to catch up with his Slayer.


__________________________________




They were walking towards the Summers’ house when a thought occurred to Buffy. “Hey Spike?” She called out glancing in his direction to her left.


“Hm?”


“Is it just me, or were the vampires somewhere other than here tonight?”


Spike cocked his head to the side thoughtful. “Ya know, You’re right. Wonder what that’s about?”


“It wasn’t even like a patrol at all. It was more like a da-uh… doozy… a doozy of an evening stroll.” Her eyes widened as she’d almost said ‘date‘.


Spike smirked and chose to ignore yet another slip. “Truth be told, I wasn’t really paying attention.”


“Me neither. God, some Slayer I am.”


“’S all right Slayer. If there’d actually been any out there, your spidey sense woulda picked up on ‘em.” He smirked and added as an afterthought, “’Sides, you can’t really help it if I totally monopolize your thoughts when you’re around me.”


Buffy scoffed. “Shyeah right.” She shook her head at his ‘ridiculous’ statement, while thinking to herself that, that was exactly what had happened.


Must not let sexy vampire take over brain and prevent vampire staking. Oh! I mean, must not let annoying vampire irritate me so much that I can think of nothing but staking him. Yeah. That’s what I meant. But she knew she wasn’t fooling herself and when she thought about it, she didn’t know why she was even trying to anymore. Hadn’t she decided just that morning that she wasn’t going to be avoid-o girl? Shaking her head she decided not to dwell on it at that moment. Just like Scarlett said, ‘Tomorrow is another day.’ I’ll just think about it tomorrow.


They climbed the stairs and Spike took his key out to unlock the door. “Ya know, I really gotta get one of those.” Buffy commented, snuggling ‘Willy Waddle’ to her chest and waiting for Spike to open the door.


“There’s an extra in the kitchen drawer. Had it made for when you got back.” He answered holding the door for her.


Once inside they found themselves much in the same position as they had been her first night back. Shuffling feet, heads bowed, eyes darting. But before anything could be said by either, a literal and metaphorical ball of energy in the form of a teenager came bounding down the stairs.


“Hey! What’re you guys doin’?” She asked the blond duo. “How many baddies did you kill? Was it a lot? You don’t look like you’ve been slaying, what with the cleanliness and all. And what is that?” She pointed at the object in her sister’s arms.


“Gee Nib, didya even take a breath?” Spike asked amused.


Dawn completely ignored the vampire, still staring at the ball of yellow fur. When Buffy turned the stuffed animal to face her sister, the younger girl’s face exploded in a smile. “Oh my god. How cute is that?”


Buffy shook her head. “Not a what or a that, but a who and a he.” Buffy held the duck up higher. “This is ‘Willy Waddle’.”


Spike rolled his eyes, flared his nostrils and let out a breath so loud it could’ve been heard across town. “That is not his name Slayer!”


“Yes it is!”


The two stood toe to toe silent, waging a war with only their eyes. Dawn watched the two with obvious delight. Sure, they were fighting, but it was Buffy and Spike- that’s what they did. The best part for Dawn was, she jus knew underneath all that, there were definite feelings of the non fighting variety.


Unable to withstand the Slayer’s stubbornness anymore, Spike waved his hand in her direction in a dismissive manner and said in a booming voice, “I’m goin’ to bed!”


“Me too!” Buffy responded in the same fashion.


“Fine!”


“Fine!”


With that, the two blonds turned at the same time headed to their respective bedrooms, leaving Dawn standing in the foyer with a smile still planted firmly on her face. Shaking her head, she made her way into the kitchen. “They are so gonna be bangin’ soon.”



Tbc…
__________________________________




If you're still with me, review, please? I'll beg if necessary. teehee.
CHAPTER FIFTEEN by Emmee
Author's Notes:
I hope that I haven't lost everyone, and that you enjoyed that last update as much as you have others. Once again, HUGE thanks to Maggie and her awesome beta abilities, I swear, it's a super power she has. And thanks to any and ALL reviewers. You guys still rock my world!
Chapter 15-




Buffy woke with the sun shining brightly into her room and onto her face. Letting out a monster sized yawn, she burrowed back into the covers and tried to recall her dream.


She looked at the two stuffed farm animals sharing her bed. “As if having prophetic dreams wasn’t bad enough, they have to get more and more confusing as you go along. Why do they do this to me?” She asked them. When they didn’t answer she growled softly, “Great help you guys are,” and pulled the covers over her head squeezing the two animals.


This last dream had her head spinning even more than it already had been. I didn’t think that it could spin any faster… apparently I was wrong.


****Buffy was standing in what she could only describe as a vast expanse of vastness. There was nothing anywhere, nothing but gold. Gold floating all around her, vibrant hues that seemed almost tangible. She stretched her hand towards it expecting to experience what the color actually felt like.


After several moments of nothing, she began to feel disconcerted with her surroundings, or lack thereof, and started walking. She wasn’t going in any direction, because she had no clue where the directions were, or if they even existed in this place, but she had to do something other than stand in the same spot.


Suddenly, blue merged with the gold and she wasn’t alone anymore. She turned around and came face to face with Spike.


“Spike?” She called confused.


“’Lo luv.” He answered with a small smile, as he always did. He didn’t seem to feel out of place like she did, in spite of the fact that he had blue swirling all around his body and they were in a foreign, empty, place.


“What are you doing here?” She asked quickly. “What am I doing here? Where
is here?”


He ignored her question and spoke in a soft tone. “You know it’s what you want, pet.”


She furrowed her brow and looked at him confused. “What’s what I want?”


He stepped closer and caressed her cheek. “Stop fighting. If you stop fighting, then we won’t have to.”


Mesmerized by his touch, and his eyes and everything they held, when she answered it was a whisper. “Huh?”


“Didn’t turn out so bad the first time did it luv?” He asked, once again ignoring her, and looking over her shoulder at something in the distance.


When she turned her head to investigate, she saw Dawn walking towards them, heavily ensconced in green. Turning so her body was fully facing the younger Summers, she waited as the young girl approached her.


“Dawnie?”


“It was ersatz. It will be de facto. Such was written, such shall be.”


Buffy scrunched her face, “Unh. Now you too? What language was that? What’re you talking about?” She turned on Spike quickly. “What is she talking about?” When he still failed to answer she became irritated. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, she tried to reign in her frustration. When she opened them, Dawn was at Spike’s side. “Look you two - now, I know you had your whole bonding experience during the ‘Buffy sabbatical‘, but if you don’t stop being all confusing and Whistler like, I’m gonna wig a big‘un.”


They said nothing though, only stood shoulder to shoulder staring at her with such an intensity that she felt like she was under a microscope.


Becoming increasingly unnerved by their silence and scrutiny, Buffy heaved a loud breath and moved closer to the other two. She snapped her fingers in front of their faces, “Hello? Confused and cranky Slayer standing right exactly here!”


Ignoring her, again, Spike spoke seductively, “It’ll be an everlasting dance Slayer.”


Without even knowing she was doing it, she responded. “All we’ve ever done is dance.”


Dawn looked over the Slayer’s shoulder and said in a voice so quiet Buffy barely heard her, “Balance comes.” Before Buffy could speak though, Dawn turned so that she was facing the petite blonde woman and her vampire companion. She spoke, her voice holding an ethereal quality. “Coming times will try you.” She looked into both blond’s eyes. “Through the seal is your only path to victory. You must meet in the grey, for darkness threatens. It comes quickly now, be not wasteful of time.” The last statement was directed at Buffy alone, and then Dawn turned her gaze back over the Slayer’s shoulder.


Buffy turned to see what her sister kept looking at. Her vision was abruptly assaulted with streams of violet and red. She watched in awe as the colors came closer and closer, seemingly one piece of a whole, yet divided equally straight down the middle. So entranced in the sight before her, she never noticed when Spike moved to stand behind her, their bodies almost touching.


“Let’s dance luv.” Spike whispered in her ear. When she turned to look at him, her eyes were trapped in his.


“Balance comes.” Dawn was heard saying in a supernal voice.****



And that’s when she woke up.


Resigned to the fact that she wasn’t going to be able to interpret this dream, just like she’d never been able to interpret any of the others, she flung the covers off. Setting Mr. Gordo and Willy Waddle to her right, she reached into the drawer of her nightstand for the journal she kept there and quickly jotted down everything.


_____________________________________________________________________________________



The recently showered and refreshed Slayer made her way into the kitchen for some breakfast, her dream still weighing heavily on her mind.


How the hell do they expect me to figure anything out when they make it all so crazy difficult? She thought to herself.


Reaching into the cabinet for a cereal bowl, she was jarred from her inner musings - or rather, her inner cursing of the Powers and their love of games - by the entrance of Willow and Tara.


“Morning Buffy.” Willow said headed to the fridge.


“Good Morning.” Tara quietly offered as she approached the coffee maker.


“Mornin’ guys.” She absently answered back.


Buffy’s overly studious interest in the preparation of cereal prompted Willow to ask, “You ok?”


The Slayer lifted her head. “Hm? Yeah, I’m fine Wills.” She lightly shook her head. “Just crazy Slayer dreams.”


That piqued the young witch’s interest. “Yeah? What were they?”


“They were a whole bunch of nothing I can explain.”


“Do you think they had anything to do with the prophecy?” Willow asked.


Buffy breathed heavily. “I dunno. I’ve had some confusing ones, but this just takes the cake.” Not that this dream was anymore confusing than any of her other Slayer dreams had been, but with already confusing thoughts, confusing feelings and then a confusing dream thrown in, she was about ready to just steal the cake back.


Tara reached into the cabinet extracting three coffee mugs, “Did you write them down so you can go over them with Mr. Giles? Maybe he can help figure them out?”


Buffy nodded, “Yeah, I wrote them down. But this is one I think even Giles will have trouble with.”


The three young women went about their morning kitchen rituals in relative silence, only occasionally broken by idle chit-chat.


When all three had eaten something and consumed at least one cup of coffee, Willow spoke up again. “So, what’re your plans today Buffy?”


Buffy shrugged. “Nothing that’ll be at the reunion of the ‘Big’ family. I was thinking of maybe redecorating my room. The time for New Kids on The Block has come and gone.” She shifted on her stool. “So, I figure, there’s painting to be done, new knick knacks to buy, new bedding, curtains, the whole nine yards.” She squinted and looked off into the distance for a second. “Why does it have to be nine yards? I never got that.”


Ignoring the last comment, Willow raised her eyebrow - her girlfriend unknowingly doing the same. “So basically what you’re telling me is, you’re gonna do whatever you can to avoid going to the Magic Box and having the dreaded ‘I think I have a crush on another vampire’ conversation with Giles?”


Buffy looked offended. “What? No!” She scoffed. “Like I would ever do that.” When Willow refused to look away or change her expression the Slayer dropped her shoulders. “Ok, so maybe a little bit.”


The red head nodded. “Mm hm. I’m thinking a lot bit.” Willow got down from her stool and took her breakfast dish to the sink, then went to fix another cup of coffee for herself. Turning around she fixed a stern look on her best friend. “Didn’t we just have this conversation, like, oh I dunno, less than twenty four hours ago?”


“Well… yeah… but… it’s gonna be all hard and stuff.” Buffy pouted.


“No ma’am young lady. The pouty thing doesn’t work on this woman.” Willow shook her head and pointed an accusing finger at the Slayer.


Tara came around to Buffy’s side and put a hand on her shoulder. “I think you’re just psyching yourself out Buffy. I don’t think it’ll be as hard as you think. A lot happened while you were gone.”


“I know.” Buffy agreed. “But Giles wasn’t thrilled the first time I was attracted to a vampire, and that was before said vampire killed the woman Giles loved. This time he’s gonna be negative thrilled.”


“I don’t know Buffy.” Tara tried to reason with her. “I don’t think you’re giving Giles as much credit as you should.”


Willow walked to the island and leaned her elbows on the top. “Tara’s right Buffy, you shouldn’t worry about Giles so much.”


Buffy raised her eyes to meet Willow’s. “And Xander?”


The red head made a face, “Nnh, that one is the one that’s gonna be lesser than less fun. But he’ll come around too, even he’s different now.”


The Slayer shrugged, yet again. “Guess we’ll just have to see. But that still doesn’t mean I have to do it today. I mean, redecorating? That can’t wait.”


Willow looked reproachfully at Buffy. “Oh stop being a big ole whiny Slayer. You’ve saved the world, fought extremely nasty, scary, demons, died. I think you can handle telling your Watcher that your feelings towards a certain chipped vampire have evolved into something else.” The young witch’s eyes suddenly widened. “Oh Goddess.”


Buffy and Tara both looked at the other female with worried expressions. “What?” They simultaneously asked.


“Speaking of vampires.” Willow smacked her hand against her head. “I still haven’t talked to Angel.” Seeing Buffy’s expression change to one that she couldn’t exactly read, Willow inquired. “What’s wrong now?”


Buffy put her head down and raised her eyes to meet her friend’s. “I’m horrible. I haven’t even thought about Angel since the other night.”


“Well,” Tara shrugged and placed a hand on Buffy’s shoulder again. “There has been quite a bit going on the last few days Buffy.”


Willow agreed, “Yeah, don’t be hard on yourself. Your plate’s been kinda full.”


Buffy sighed. “I know, but great love and all that. I shoulda thought of him at least once. If for no other reason than to call him and say, ‘Hey, ‘member that part about me being dead, well, not so much anymore.’” The blond banged her head against the counter top. “God, I’m awful.”


“Nah. Not awful, just cursed with the wacky life of a Slayer.” Her friend commented with a smile. Turning serious again she asked, “Want me to call him? I mean, I was the one who was supposed to anyway.”


Buffy blew a puff of air from her mouth loudly, “No. I should be the one to do it. But you gotta be there in case he thinks it’s just some ruse or something.”


Her best friend nodded, “’Course. You want me there, I’m all with the being there. Best Friend Contract, section 12, article 52 - ‘The best friend of the party shall be present at all crucial phone calls placed to ex honey explaining to him that the party is no longer deceased.’”


All three girls giggled and made their way into the living room, their laughter ringing through the house.


_____________________________________________________________________________________



One level below the girls, Spike lay sleeping, dreaming.


****He was patrolling through one of the many cemeteries in Sunnydale, the Slayer at his side. They were enjoying a companionable silence when they heard a rustling coming from a nearby crypt.


Headed in the direction of the noise, they communicated silently. Coming up alongside the door, they waited three beats, without a word to each other, and then stormed in.


Suddenly Spike found himself in a grassy field, brightness assaulting his eyes and causing him to squint, while rushing to cover himself with his duster.


“Bloody hell!”


“Don’t worry, you won’t go all Cajun style vamp on us.” An unfamiliar voice suddenly sounded behind him.


Spike turned abruptly trying his best to adopt a defensive stance. Which was rather difficult considering he was hiding under his duster. When he looked up, he was eye to chest with a short male dressed in an extremely tacky polyester suit. He raised his head enough to see the face of the stranger and saw that he wore a hat just as tacky as the outfit..


“Who the bloody hell are you?” He demanded.


“Why don’t you come out from under there and we can have us a chat like grown ups?” The stranger commented dryly.


Spike stuck his right hand out from under his coat just enough so that his index finger was exposed. When nothing potentially fatal happened, he stretched his arm out a bit more. Finally coming to the realization that he wasn’t going to fry, he came out from under his coat and puffed out his chest standing tall, trying and not at all succeeding in looking tough, considering the previous cowering.


“Fine. Now, who the bloody hell are you?” He demanded once again.


“Name’s Whistler. Nice to meet you Spike.”


Spike’s eyes narrowed slightly, “So, you‘re the Powers‘ boy, huh? Well, where the soddin’ hell am I, what am I doing here and how long is this gonna take?” He spat out in succession, making it all one question.


Whistler ticked the answers off on his fingers, “Not a boy, but yes, I work for the Powers. You’re here. You’re here cuz I wanted you here. And it’ll take as long as I think it should.”


Spike growled menacingly and moved towards Whistler. “If you know me at all, which you seem to, then you know that I don’t take kindly to people,” he sniffed the air, “or demons, talking to me that way.”


Whistler waved his hand in Spike’s direction, attempting to halt the vampire’s progress into his personal space. He may be immortal, and they may be in a pseudo heavenly dimension, but he was a demon so Spike could hit him, and he didn’t exactly want to be sporting a shiner. “Relax there buddy.”


“I’m not your bloody buddy.” Spike growled again.


Whistler tilted his head and observed the blond in front of him. “Hunh.” He chuckled. “You really were a poet huh?”


Spike’s eyes widened at that comment, “Oh, you’re tryin’ me now, aren’t ya?“ Breathing heavily and flaring his nostrils, he tried to look menacing.


“Really, you can calm down.” Whistler tried, with a little more effort, to calm the angry vampire. “I’m here to help you.”


“What the buggerin’ hell could you possibly help me with?”


“Your girl.” Whistler simply answered.


Spike moved to within inches of Whistler’s face, and in a low voice asked, “What about Buffy?”


Whistler stepped back easily, non intimidated - or at least trying not to appear intimidated - and shrugged. “She’s gonna need your help.”


“She’s always got my bloody help. Tell me something helpful you ponce.”


“That’s all I really needed to tell you. You just need to make sure you’re strong enough to help her.” Whistler commented with a shrug.


“So, let me get this straight then…” Spike began stalking towards Whistler. But every step he took forward, the other demon took two back. “You interrupted a perfectly enjoyable dream, which probably would’ve ended up even more enjoyable, so that you could what? Tell me to help the Slayer and make sure I’m strong?” When Whistler’s only answer was another shrug, Spike fumed. “You Higher Up types are all the bloody same. Never giving one single piece of ruddy information which might actually be useful, and always jumping in at the wrong time.”


Whistler held his hands up in surrender. “Hey, we just wanna make sure you’re prepared is all.”


“I’m ready for whatever you gits throw our way.”


“Good.” Whistler nodded. “Now for the real reason you’re here.”


Spike looked at the messenger with a question in his eyes, when yet another voice sounded from behind.


“Hello Spike.”


He turned around slowly, “’Ello mum.”


Joyce waved him towards her, “Come on. Give us a hug.”


When she embraced the vampire he tensed. Still not used to this form of contact, even after his months as Dawn’s caretaker and the girl’s proclivity for hugging.


When they pulled back from each other, Joyce looked deeply into his eyes, smiling. “You’re taking care of my girls right?”


Spike nodded, “Always.”


She patted him on the shoulder, “Just what I like to hear.”


Spike looked at her with pleading eyes. “Can you please tell me what the bloody hell is going on?” He gestured over his shoulder with his thumb towards Whistler. “That wanker won’t tell me a soddin’ thing that’s helpful.”


Joyce shook her head. “We can’t tell you anything.” Her expression then turned teasing. “And I’m sorry that we tore you away from such an enjoyable, with prospects of becoming more so, dream.” Spike had the grace to duck his head. “But this was my idea, so you can blame me.”


“Nah.” Spike shook his head. “Could never blame you for anything, so I’ll stick with the wally over there.”


Joyce laughed softly, the sound like music to Spike’s ears. “I just wanted a chance to talk to you and let you know that I have faith in you. I believe in you.”


“What’re you on about mum?” He asked confused.


“You’re gonna have a lot of responsibility come your way, and it’s gonna seem tough at times, but I know you can do it. We all do, otherwise, it wouldn’t be you. I just thought I should tell you that.”


“Still don’t get it. But I trust you mum.”


“You better.” She joked. “Just remember; balance will be there soon enough, and then you‘ll see the wait was worth it.”


Spike’s forehead knitted in confusion, and he shut his eyes, digging his fingers into them trying to stave off the impending headache. “Slayer wasn‘t kiddin‘ when she said you‘d gone cryptic. What does that mean?”


“Balance comes.” Was the reply, and when he opened his eyes he was alone in the field.


“Stupid bloody powers.” He shut his eyes again and shook his head, wondering how the hell he was going to get out of the now boring and lonely dream he’d found himself in. All of a sudden he knew he wasn’t alone anymore.


Turning around and looking in the other direction he saw Buffy and Dawn staring off into the distance, as if waiting for something. As he started in their direction he heard Joyce’s voice again, carried on the nonexistent wind.


“Balance comes.”****



And he woke up.


_____________________________________________________________________________________



Somewhere, in a dimension far, far, away from Sunnydale and its citizens, the immortal demon messenger for the Powers That Be, and the spirit of the Slayer’s mother stood side by side.


Watching the goings on in Sunnydale, Whistler turned towards Joyce.


“Why is it that I get the difficult cases?” He almost begged for an answer.


Joyce Summers shrugged and laughed, “Maybe because it keeps your immortal existence from getting too boring?”


“Hmph.” Was his only reply.


“You do realize that that’s probably not going to be the last time one or both of us will have to interfere, don’t you?” The woman at his side asked.


“No, I’m sure it’s not.” He turned to face Joyce. “I still don’t get how you lived with that daughter of yours for so long. She makes me crazy.”


She shrugged, “It’s called a mother’s love. That, and tons of patience.”


“And that vampire, no wonder everyone wanted to stake him before.” He breathed heavily. “You probably are right, though.” Going back to Joyce’s previous statement/question. “She’s not fighting it as much as I thought she would, but she’s still taking too damn long for my tastes.” He commented, alluding to Buffy and her recent actions, feelings and thoughts - all of which they’d been monitoring.


“No, she’s not fighting it like she would have before. She’ll get there. She’s just had it drilled into her head by everyone that things are always one way or another, that there’s no in between.”


Whistler scoffed. “Well, the whole point of what’s happening is the in between, so she’ll have to learn it fast.


“Like I said,” Joyce said looking at him. “it’s gonna take a few more interventions on our part.”


“Oh, what I’m gonna be willing to do for boring after dealing with that whole bunch.” Whistler grumbled.


Joyce’s laughter rang out as they vanished.


_____________________________________________________________________________________



While Spike was downstairs enduring his first encounter with the Powers’ messenger, and the new and improved cryptic Joyce; Buffy, Willow and Tara were all in the Summers’ living room. The three were standing next to the desk, in a semi circle, staring at the phone as if it were going to morph into a demon and kill them all.


Willow and Tara both looked at Buffy, who stood in between them, with questioning looks.


“I’m gettin’ there, I’m gettin’ there.” Buffy grumbled good naturedly.


Willow raised an eyebrow, “Really? ‘Cuz it looks an awful lot like the opposite of that.”


Buffy turned to her best friend with pleading eyes. “Do it for me?”


The young red head shrugged, “Ok, I’d pretty much told myself it would be me anyway, so I’ve got my speech prepared and everything.” When she went to reach for the receiver though, Buffy’s hand stopped her.


“No. I better.” She stuck her hand out to grab the phone, stopping just shy of getting there. Turning to Willow, she asked, “What’s your speech, maybe I can use it?”


“Nah. Probably wouldn’t be a good idea. You talking in third person and all.” Willow smiled gently at her friend.


Buffy nodded. “You’re right.” She took a deep breath. “I can do this.”


Tara gently rubbed Buffy’s arm. “We’re right here. You’ll be fine. Promise.”


Willow nodded, agreeing, “Yeah, we’re right here.”

Nodding one last time, the Slayer, killer of vampires and demons alike, saver of the world, ass kicker of evil, ’she who hangs out in cemeteries’ with only a small piece of wood, and warrior extraordinaire reached towards the phone with a shaky hand.


Why the hell am I so nervous anyway? It’s just Angel. Like I haven’t talked to him a millions times? Buffy scolded herself as her hand drew near the phone. Sure, you’ve talked to him a million times, ‘bout lots of stuff and during lots of situations. But not once has any of that stuff or any of those situations involved his least favorite person on the planet staying in your house with you in it, or you having tickly feelings in your belly when you just think of that person. Her hand hesitated just over the piece of electronics. What if he can tell? What if he knows? I’ll never hear the end of it. What if he can- Oh, good grief Buffy! First Spike with the X-Ray eyeballs that read your soul, now Angel with the X-Ray hearing, long distance vision power? She picked up the receiver. I have lost my mind.


She brought the device in front of her face and hit the ‘TALK’ button, then proceeded to stare at it, not making a move.


“Oh goodness! Buffy! Just dial already. You’re killing me here!” Willow cried from her side.


“See, that’s where we face a problem.” She turned to her best friend. “Um, I don’t really know what to dial.”


Willow’s eyes widened for a second. “Oh, right.” She smacked her forehead for the second time that morning. “Duh! Lemme get the number for ya.”


While Willow rooted around in the desk drawer for the address book that held all the numbers anyone in the Summers’ household would need, Buffy tried to come up with what she would say to Angel when she finally did get him on the phone. Maybe I should just go with what I said to Willow. Maybe something like, ‘Hi Angel! How ya been? Me? Oh, the usual, fighting the fight, killing the evil, saving the world, dying the death of one of the deadest people in Deadonia. Just wanted to say hi! ‘Kay, bye.’ Somehow she didn’t think that would go over too well. Angel wasn’t much of a talker unless he wanted to be, and this would be one of those times where he wanted to be. She was just sure of it.


“Aha!” Willow’s voice brought her back to reality. “Got it.”


She dialed the number as Willow read it to her, and waited, holding her breath, for someone to pick up. Finally, after three rings, someone picked up. Someone decidedly not Angel, and someone decidedly not from California.


“Angel Investigations, we help the helpless. How can we help you?” A very female, very twangy voice with a southern accent rang out over the line.


“H-hi!” Buffy cleared her throat. “Um, is Angel around?”


“No, I’m sorry. Angel’s out right now on a case.” The female answered. “My name’s Fred, is there anything I can try to help you with?”


Ignoring the fact that Fred sounded extremely female, Buffy answered. “N-no. No thank you. I’m a personal friend of Angel’s. Just calling to say hi.” She cleared her throat again. “Um, if you have a way, can you get in touch with him and ask him to call the Summers’ house, please?”


“Oh, sure. That’ll be no problem. Does he have the number? Well, I guess that’s a stupid question, innit? If you’re a personal friend and all, surely he’s got it. Although, it is pretty easy to lose numbers. I can’t tell you how many phone numbers I’ve lost over the years. Do you think he has it?” The other female babbled.


It took Buffy a second to answer, caught off guard by the Willow style babbling coming from this stranger. “Oh, I’m sure he does. If he doesn’t, Cordy should.”


“Ok, great” The chipper female said. “I’ll give him the message. You betcha!”


“Thank you.”


“You’re very welcome.”


And with that, Buffy hung up the phone. She turned to her two friends, “I guess this is a good. Now I can practice what I’m gonna say.” She smiled and walked into the kitchen.


The two other females followed her.


“So, since you’re all ‘making contact girl’, what’d’ya say we go to the Magic Box next?” Willow asked in a suggestive manner.


Buffy pouted. “Isn’t one strained conversation enough for today?”


Willow shrugged. “Way I see it, you should just get it all done, out in the open and on the table now. Otherwise, it’s just gonna be harder later down the road. And let’s face it Buffy, your roads are bumpy all the time anyway.”


“I know. I’m just already getting a headache and I’ve barely been awake for two hours.”


Before anyone could respond the shrill ringing of the telephone made all three women jump.


Buffy looked at the phone quickly and then turned to Willow with wide eyes. “Do you think that’s him? Already?”



Shrugging Willow answered. “He’s probably got a cell phone, so I wouldn’t be surprised.”


Buffy closed her eyes, “Oh God.” She looked at Willow and Tara sharply. “One of you answer it first, then I’ll take it.”


Willow nodded and reached for the phone. “Hello? pause Oh, hi Angel. pause No, everything’s fine. pause No, wasn’t me, someone else wants to talk to you.” Willow rolled her eyes. “No, it’s not Spike. Hang on.”


She extended the phone to Buffy, who looked at it as if it were going to bite her. Raising an eyebrow at the blonde, Willow forced the phone into Buffy’s hand.


Taking one last, completely useless, calming breath, Buffy brought the phone up to her ear. “Hi Angel.” She said in a small voice. She was met with complete silence on the other line. She waited a few seconds, knowing this was a shock to him. “Angel?” She prompted.


“Buffy?” His voice sounded small over the phone.


“Yeah, it’s me. The only me that’s me.” She joked, trying to lighten the situation.


“But… I…what…” He stopped for a second, seeming to collect himself. “How?”


“Well, Heaven got a little boring. Ya know, there’s not a single vamp or demon up there to kill. What’s a girl like me supposed to do up there with all that free time if there’s no evil ass to kick?” Sensing that he hadn’t had long enough to process the situation, making it too early for jokes, she adopted a serious tone. “Apparently I get to play the part of Prophecy Girl in the big play. Again.”


“This is just… I mean… I never…”


“Angel, I know you’ve always been a man of few words, but could you at least finish a sentence? I figured I wouldn‘t be able to shut you up with this conversation.” She jeered, unable to stay serious.


“I’m sorry Buffy, this is just all very hard to…” He trailed off.


“I know.” She softly agreed. “Hang on a sec Angel.” Covering the mouthpiece with her hand, she turned to her two friends. “I think I’m cool now, I’m gonna go upstairs.”


“Sure Buffy.” Willow said, both girls nodding.


When she exited the room, Willow looked at her girlfriend. “That can’t be an easy conversation to have.”


Tara agreed. “No, I would guess not. It seems to be going well though. I mean, I d-don’t know Angel, but, seems that way.”


“Yeah.”


The girls busied themselves with cleaning up the few dishes from that morning and straightening up the kitchen, while waiting for Buffy to return.


That was how Spike found them when he came up from the basement, wearing only his jeans - which the two females had grown accustomed to over the summer - and headed straight for the fridge for his breakfast.


“Red. Glinda.” Not being a morning person, or a daytime person, Spike only gave short greetings.


“Morning.” Two overly chipper voices responded.


Spike missed Willow’s nervous glance towards the stairs as he reached into the cabinet and pulled out his mug, poured some blood in it and stuck in the microwave, hitting the button with the little sticker of Count Chocula on it - courtesy of Dawn.


“I take it the birds are flying high this lovely mornin’?” He asked with only a hint of sarcasm.


Tara gave him a genuine, gentle, smile and nodded.


Willow answered with wide eyes and squeaky voice, “Yup.”


“What’s got your knickers in a twist Red?” Spike questioned as the microwave dinged.


“What? There are no twisted knickers here. Nope.”


The vampire simply turned towards the witch and raised his scarred eyebrow. “Mm hm And you‘re all squeaky ‘cuz…?.”


Before Willow could answer, footsteps were heard on the stairs, and the Slayer’s voice rang out.


“Well, that was less than fun, lemme tell ya.” Buffy called from the hallway. “Hey Willow, the next time you offer to do something like that for me, don’t let me be all noble, just do it. ‘Cuz I seriously do n-” Her words stopped in her throat as she entered the kitchen and noticed the half dressed vampire, with messy curls, standing by the sink.


Spike noticed the Slayer’s reaction to his bare skin and smirked into his mug. Bringing it away from his face he offered his greeting. “Mornin’ luv.”


His voice shook Buffy out of her stupor and she shook her head, responding. “Mornin’ Spike. Speaking of mornings, shouldn’t you still be asleep during them?”


“Would that I were pet. Woke up a bit ago and couldn’t get back to sleep.”


Tara looked at him distressed. “We didn’t wake you, did we?”


Spike shook his head as he turned to the sink and rinsed his mug. “No. Don’t you worry Glinda. Wasn’t you lovely ladies. Stupid soddin’ dreams.”


At his last statement all three girls’ eyes widened.


Willow cleared her throat. “W-were they bad ones?


Once again shaking his head, Spike reached into the cabinet for a bowl and grabbed the Wheetabix out of the other cabinet. “No, just strange ‘s all.”


The three women shared looks behind the vampire’s back, quickly making them disappear when he turned back to face them.


“Where’s the Bit?” Spike asked the women, adding milk to his cereal.


Tara answered. “She had a beach date with Janice and some friends. One last trip before it starts getting cooler I guess.”


Spike nodded. Taking a bite of his cereal he looked at the Slayer. “How’s the poof then?”


Buffy’s eyes became silver dollars. “What?”


He pointed to his right ear, “Vampire hearing luv.”


Glaring at the vampire for letting her know that her private conversation hadn’t been quite as private as she’d thought, she answered. “Fine. Little freaked out.” She looked off, thoughtful. “Actually, now that I think about it, he wasn’t really that freaked that an ex of his was brought back from the dead. Just surprised, actually. Hunh.” She shook her head. “Anyway, um… He wants me to come to L.A. to see him.”


Spike’s head shot up at that, but when he realized that he really didn’t have any say in the matter, he put it back down and concentrated on the second part of his breakfast.


“He does?” Willow asked, almost sounding disappointed. Her friend had only just gotten back, she didn’t exactly want her running off to L.A., even if it was just for a day or two. “Oh.”


“Yeah.” Buffy answered. Then sounding more chipper, she added. “So, I’m thinking, Scooby road trip slash mini vacation. I think it would be a little too tense and wiggy for us to meet mano a womano, ya know?” She looked at the three in the room with a hopeful expression. “What’d’ya say?”


“Ooh, fun, fun.” Willow replied enthusiastically, turning to her girlfriend.


“Yeah.” Tara agreed. “I-I’ve never b-been to L.A.”


“Well, you lot have fun.” Spike grumbled, his head so close to his bowl his nose almost touched the milk.


Buffy looked at him confused. “What? You’re going too.”


Spike looked up from his food sharply. “Like hell I am.” Okay, so he was flattered that Buffy was inviting - or more accurately, telling - him to go, and gods know he didn’t want to be away from her. But that didn’t mean he wanted to spend any amount of time around his Grand-Sire.


“Like hell you aren’t.” Buffy retorted.


“Look Slayer, the thought of spending anytime with the poofter is not exactly my idea of a *fun-filled mini holiday, thanks ever so.”


“Well, get over it. You’re going.” She said coming fully into the kitchen and standing a short distance away from him.


“No, I’m really not.” He said coming to his feet and facing the small blonde woman glaring at him.


“Yes, you really are. You’re going to-” She stopped suddenly and glared. “Is it possible for us to be in the same room for more than 5 minutes without arguing like kids on the playground?”



That question elicited a smile from the vampire, to which she answered in kind. “Doubt it luv.”


A serious look came across her face, “I would really like for you to go with us Spike.”


“Who’ll patrol?” He asked.


She shrugged, “Doesn’t matter, it’s been oddly quiet, and I want us all to go. That includes you.”


Spike made a pouty face and slumped his shoulders. “I really don’t wanna see the poof pet.”


“Hm.” She shrugged again, and smiled brightly, knowing she'd won. “Oh well, you’re still going.” Before he could respond, she turned to Willow and Tara. Jumping up and down she clapped her hands, “Yay! Road trip! We have to call Xander and Anya, Giles, get Dawnie back home. Ooh, and I need a new bathing suit, and maybe some road trip clothes, so a trip to the mall is so in order.” She turned to Spike, “You better start packing buddy.” She smiled another saccharinely sweet smile and headed towards the foyer talking excitedly, Willow and Tara in her wake.


“Oh, this should be fun.” Spike stood up and placed his bowl in the sink after rinsing it. Running his hands through his disheveled curls, he made his way down to the basement acquiescently, wondering how the hell he was going to survive this weekend.



Tbc…



Please, please, please review. I'm desperate for my muse to come back. And she'll listen to you, I swear she will.
CHAPTER SIXTEEN by Emmee
Author's Notes:
(Ok, I’ve never actually been to L.A., and I never really caught the exact location of the Hyperion in relation to the ocean. So, for the purpose of my story, it is located only five minutes [driving] from the beach.* Cool? Of course it is, cuz I said so. Teehee. J/K. Also- just so everyone knows, there‘s a scene at the hotel which might be mistaken as cruel. It is, in fact, not meant to be that way, it is simply a way to show Giles’ and Spike‘s relationship. You‘ll see what I mean. Just wanted to throw that out there, don‘t want anyone thinking I‘m being all Xander bashing lady. Cuz I‘m not.)

Also, big thanks to all that reviewed the last two chapters! You guys have no idea what your reviews mean to me. And mondo thanks to Maggie for doing a fantastic beta job, yet again! You rock girlie!
CHAPTER SIXTEEN


More than a few times during the two hours to Los Angeles, Buffy asked herself why she had practically forced everyone to come with her. Oh, that’s right! ‘Cuz you’re a big ole whiny Slayer baby that can‘t face her ex vamp honey. That’s why. Buffy thought to herself. She’d busied herself with preparing for the trip for the better part of the day, and had been able to push what was most likely to be an awkward meeting to the back of her mind.


Once Buffy had called Xander, Anya and Giles concerning the group road trip, she called Janice’s mother to find out exactly where she had taken Janice and Dawn. Once she discovered their location, she headed there with Willow and Tara to pick up the young Summers, and then the four were off to the mall.


Upon their return from their shopping trip, Buffy got Giles to secure a van. Xander called his boss and informed him that he would, in fact, not be able to work on Saturday because something had come up. And Anya tied up any loose ends at the Magic Box so that she would be able to leave it for a day or two with no worries.


So, at nine o’clock in the morning on Friday - an ungodly hour for two members of the Scoobies - the group headed to L.A.


Spike huddled in the middle seat between Willow and Tara, safe from the sun, with his blanket on his lap just in case. Xander and Anya sat in the very back seat with Dawn, while Giles drove and Buffy rode shotgun. The entire way to L.A. Spike and Xander traded half-hearted barbs and insults, and everyone argued over which radio station to listen to - which prompted Giles to just turn it off. Anya found the silence the perfect opportunity to repeatedly ask if anyone wanted to play road trip games. After several attempts at trying to involve someone, if not everyone, in a game of ‘eye spy’ she gave up and sat in the back with her arms crossed and a scowl on her face.


By the time they reached the Holiday Inn downtown, Giles was ready to pull his hair out and be admitted into a convalescent home, just so he could avoid contact with any young people ever again.


Breathing sighs of relief and practically climbing over each other, the group exited the van.


All except Spike. He stayed seated until everyone was out, then covered himself with his blanket and darted into the lobby of the hotel. When he was safely inside he received several glares and strange looks from the other guests. “What?” He snapped. “Sun allergy. Sod off!”


The remaining members of the group filed into the lobby with their bags in hand. Giles approached the front desk to check them all in. Buffy and Giles had decided that it would probably be less life threatening for the majority of the parties involved if they didn’t board with Angel and his crew. After the actions and attitudes displayed the day of Buffy’s funeral by both the Scoobies and the Fang Gang, Giles wasn’t too keen on staying at the Hyperion, with Angel, for two days, and Buffy was sure that no one else would mind that they were staying elsewhere.


While waiting for Giles, the young adults milled around the lobby and the gift shop. Buffy and Spike found themselves standing beside each other, watching the fish swim around the small indoor pond.


Spike spoke after a moment. “Why is it exactly that we aren’t shackin’ up with the poof? He’s got that big ole hotel and it’d be free.”


Buffy looked at him with an unbelieving look. “You telling me that you want to stay under the same roof as Angel?”


He made a face. “Oh, bloody hell, no!


“Then why ask?” Buffy asked him. “Gift horse and all that.”


“Good point.” Spike shrugged. “Jus’ curious is all. Didn’t figure my comfort, or discomfort, would have any say on our accommodations.”


“Well, I don’t exactly wanna have to spend all weekend kicking both of your asses ‘cuz you’re being dumb. And I couldn’t exactly make you stay somewhere you didn’t want to could I? ‘Sides, I doubt you’re the only one that doesn’t want to be roomies with Angel.”


“Could if you wanted to pet.” He said softly.


She looked at him confused, “Could what?”


“Pretty much make me do anything you wanted.”


Buffy was saved from having to respond when Giles approached.


“We’re all set.” He proclaimed.


“Cool!” Dawn said, excited. She looked to Buffy. “Can we go to our rooms now? I wanna go swim.”


Buffy smiled at her sister’s enthusiasm, “Yeah.”


The group made their way to the elevator, and after Giles hit the button, they all took the obligatory stance for watching the elevator move between floors.


“They gave us two suites.” Giles commented. “So we should have more than enough room for the eight of us.”


Xander whistled. “All right money man.”


“It was actually cheaper than getting four rooms. Although, not nearly as private.”


Anya looked horrified. “What? Xander and I need our privacy.”


Giles looked at the young woman and replied haughtily, “Yes, well, unless you want to get a room yourself, this will have to do.”


Xander put an arm around his fiancée’s shoulder. “Ahn, we’re getting a vacation, a free one. As in, Giles paid for the transportation and the room, maybe we shouldn’t complain?”


Anya rolled her eyes. “Fine. But don’t say a word when you all have to deal with me being cranky from lack of orgasms.”


“Whatever.” Dawn supplied, completely ignoring the adult’s exchange. “I don’t care where I sleep. I’ll sleep on the patio if I have to. All I care about is the fact that this is the first vacation I’ve been on in forever.” She paused thoughtfully for a second. “Technically speaking I’ve never been on vacation, ya know, since I’ve only been around for a year or so. So I desperately need one.” She shrugged. “No matter what, I’m gonna have fun.”


Buffy looked at Willow, and with exhaustion clearly evident in her voice said, “I wish I still had that girl’s energy.”


Willow nodded and various versions of ‘same here’ were voiced by the others, except Spike.


“Dunno what she’s so excited about.” The vampire commented.


Buffy rolled her eyes, “Well, of course you don’t. Your entire existence as a vamp has been one big vacation, whereas the rest of us haven’t been on one in ages. You’ve always been able to just pick up and go wherever, whenever. We don’t have that luxury. You, though, don’t really have anything keeping you in Sunnydale.”


Anya spoke in agreement. “That’s very true. Back in my demon days, I had nothing keeping me anywhere I didn’t want to be. I just let myself be guided by the vengeance calls. Now,” she cringed. “Now I have all these stupid, human, grown-up responsibilities and obligations I have to see to. It’s very annoying actually. Well, aside from the making money part.” She patted Spike on the shoulder. “Consider yourself lucky. You aren’t making any money but you also don’t have anything annoying keeping you in Sunnydale.”


Buffy looked at Spike with a smug look on her face, as if to say ‘see?’


He glared in response, all the while thinking to himself. Oh, I’ve got something keepin’ me ‘round here, and she can be right annoyin’ when she wants to be.


There was a ding which heralded the arrival of the elevator, and everyone piled in.


“So, Junior.” Xander began conversationally. “If there’s nothing keeping you here - why are you?”


Most everyone sent the brunet male less than friendly glares. But Spike was, instead, sending Buffy a glare, figuring she’d spilled his secret. She looked at him with wide eyes.


“I didn’t say anything. I swear!” And the elevator doors closed.


When the elevator reached their floor, there was another ding and then the doors opened. The group exited the elevator and waited for Giles to tell them which direction to go.


He pointed to the right, “This way. Numbers 402 and 404.”


When they reached the first room, Giles opened the door and everyone entered, taking it all in for a moment. Then the girls went off to investigate all the rooms. Upon investigation, they found two bedrooms, a bathroom with a garden tub, and a rather spacious kitchen/living room area.


“Wow.” Willow said putting a voice to everyone’s thoughts. “This is really nice.”


There was a door to their right. “This must be the connecting door.” Giles said as he went to unlock it. Once unlocked though, he found the second door to be locked from the other side.


Willow held her hand out for the second key. “Here, Tara and I will go unlock it from the other side.”


As they were exiting the room Anya called after them. “You’d better not do anything kinky in there! If Xander and I have to abstain, then so do you!”


Everyone rolled their eyes at her comments.


Buffy, Dawn and Anya waited for the other two girls to open the door while Xander went to the bathroom and Giles walked out onto the balcony.


Spike followed the Watcher and stepped onto the balcony into a spot of shade. “Been a while since I’ve seen the ocean like this.” He commented quietly, almost reverently.


Giles nodded and answered in the same tone, never taking his eyes off of the view. “Yes, I would guess so.” He stood there a moment longer and then went back inside, closing the sliding glass door behind him.


While the three men had been otherwise occupied, the girls had all traversed into the adjoining suite, giving it an even more thorough inspection.


Xander came out of the bathroom and saw Spike standing in the shade on the balcony, enjoying the view. When he looked out onto the ocean, he saw an extremely large sailboat on the water. He ran to the balcony quickly, to ensure it hadn’t sailed out of his view by the time he got there. Only, instead of ending up on the balcony, he ended up on his ass.


*BAM*


The impact of his face hitting the door knocked him flat on his rear. With a dazed look, he put his hand over his swelling nose and looked at the door as if trying to figure out what happened.


Spike had been jarred from his admiration of the Pacific by the noise. He turned and opened the sliding door and saw Xander sitting on the floor, holding his nose and glaring at the piece of evil glass. The vampire bit his tongue and sidestepped the human on the floor, going to stand next to Giles.


Immediately, upon looking at each other, the two Englishmen burst into hearty laughter. Xander, in the midst of his humiliation, laughed along with them in an attempt to cover up his obvious klutzy-ness. It was an uneasy laugh - the laugh of a person only laughing to avoid bursting into tears. A fact which was proven by the tears sitting in his eyes as a result of slamming his nose.


Spike and Giles continued to laugh, in spite of Xander’s embarrassment and pain, and soon their laughter had turned into bellowing guffaws, bordering on the obnoxious. They were laughing so hard that their faces were beet red - which, for a vamp was a huge feat in itself - and bent over at the waist, they leaned on each other for support. The amount of energy they had expelled from their laughter making it difficult for them to stand on their own.


This was how the girls found them. They’d been alerted to something happening in the next room by the sound of Giles’ and Spike’s laughter. Once they made it into the room, they bumped into one another as they stopped short at the scene before them.


Giles and Spike were both halfway in a crouching position; Giles with one hand on Spike’s left shoulder and one holding onto the bar with a vice like grip. Spike’s left hand was on Giles’ right shoulder and his other was holding onto his side, in an attempt to stave off the cramps he was experiencing as a result of laughing so hard.


Buffy looked back and forth between the two Brits barely standing and Xander on the floor, who held his nose. She let out an odd sounding chuckle. “What happened?” She asked, her lips quirked into an almost smile.


Anya walked over to Xander. “What’s going on?”


“Nuddig.” Xander answered, his voice sounding muffled and bit nasal.


“Oh no. Not nothing” Buffy retorted and pointed at all three men. “This is a something situation.”*


Behind her, Willow nodded in agreement. “Yeah. Not only is this a something situation, but you guys all have something face too.” She said as she took note of the tears in their eyes. Xander’s, though, were not the result of laughter. Spike and Giles had tears in their eyes because their guffaws had moved onto another level of laughter so intense, that no sound came from their mouths. They simply stood, staggering a bit, with their mouths hung open in silent laughter, with tears streaming down their faces.


Dawn nodded her head also and hooked her right thumb toward the two forms that had lost the battle in staying upright, and half collapsed onto the floor. “Just look at Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum over there. This is not nothing.”


None of the girls could help the smiles that broke across their faces as they took in the two on the floor. Only Anya was immune as she continued to inspect Xander.


Buffy tried extremely hard to get her smile to go away. She looked at Giles. “Giles, what happened?”


Giles tried to quell his laughter so that he could at least attempt to explain. “He…pant…” He wiped the tears from his eyes. “… Well, you see…giggle…I went…gasp…Then… Then Spike went…chuckle…And then Xander tried to…all out laugh…” And with that he trailed off in too much of a fit to continue.


Buffy looked to Spike, who had been laughing steadily, and quirked her eyebrow at him in question.


Spike did his best to collect himself and at least try to pick up where Giles had left off. “I went…pant…” He gestured to the sliding glass door and all of the girls’ eyes followed the path of his hand. They turned back to him. “Then…chuckle… and BAM!” He clapped his hands together to accompany the exclamation. “Then…then…laughpant…he…” Spike waved his hand in the direction of Xander on the floor. “…down…” And with that he joined Giles in another fit of laughter.


“Huh?” Buffy was totally lost.


“What?” was the resounding chorus from the other four girls.


“I hid my node.” Xander finally spoke up.


“Oh my God!” Anya exclaimed, examining his face, and trying her hardest to get a look at his nose from under his hand. “Is it broken? Are you going to be horribly disfigured? You’re not are you?” She asked worriedly.


Xander just glared at her, while there was a collective eye roll from the rest of the group.


How did you hit your nose?” Buffy asked.


“I hid da door fird”


There was nothing but silence, and wheezing from the two Brits, for a moment. Then a giggle erupted from the Slayer’s mouth. She slapped a hand over her mouth quickly, as if to contain any others that might have tried to escape. Then another giggle rang through the room, this time from Willow. Xander whipped his head around to give the redhead ‘the look’, but it was as futile as her efforts to stop. Another couple of giggles came from Buffy, and then she finally conceded and took her hand from her mouth, brought her hands down to her sides and shrugged as if to say ‘sorry, no stopping it now.’ Buffy and Willow were soon joined by everyone else, and laughter rang out through the room.


All were laughing, except Anya. She was still busy trying to examine Xander’s face so that she would be assured that he would remain handsome. And the man himself was sitting on the floor with his hand still covering his nose, looking for all the world like a petulant child.


The laughter finally began to lessen, and the only member of the Scooby gang to show any hint of embarrassment at her actions was Tara.


“Id wadn dat punny.” Xander pouted.


“Yes it was.” Spike bellowed, falling into another round of raucous laughter.


Giles made an effort to collect himself. “Sorry. Sorry Xander. You’re quite right.” He’d seemingly succeeded after several seconds of keeping a straight face, but ultimately, he failed and began laughing in earnest, causing everyone else to join in.


Finally after several more moments of their laughter, and after everyone received at least one glare (more in Spike’s case) from Xander, it finally quieted down.


“Okay. Okay, okay, okay.” Buffy breathed out, trying to calm herself. “Okay.” She repeated with finality. When Spike continued to laugh, she shot him a look, which he ignored. I don‘t think I‘ve ever seen him laugh like that before. It‘s so… so… cute. She thought to herself, in spite of the situation. No! It‘s not cute. He‘s laughing at your best friend’s expense. Definitely not of the cute variety! She shook her head and shot Spike one final glare. “That’s enough.” She looked over at Xander apologetically, “Sorry Xan.”


“Yes. Very sorry Xander.” Giles echoed while wiping tears from his eyes.


“Sorry Xan.” from Willow.


“Me too.” from Tara.


“Me three.” from Dawn.


“Well, I’m not.” Of course, that was from Spike. Everyone turned to glare at the vampire. “What?” He asked defensively. “Was bloody funny.”


Buffy just shook her head and turned back to Xander. “You okay now Xander?”


“Yed.” He nodded, still going for pitiful.


Tara walked over and knelt beside the young man’s side. “Let’s have a look at you, yeah?”


He hesitantly moved his hand. “Well?”


“It’s not that bad.” She answered reassuring him, as Anya let out a sigh of relief. “I promise you’ll live, and not look like Bozo the Clown at the same time.” She smiled at him and patted his shoulder when he returned it.


As Tara moved away, Willow took her place in front of her best friend, studying his face the same way Tara had. “Looks fine.” She reaffirmed to him, nodding. She tilted her head to the side a bit, a thoughtful look on her face. “It’s actually kinda cute if ya think about it.”


“Cute?” Xander incredulously repeated.


Willow nodded again, with a smile. “Yeah, cute. It’s all pink and cute, kinda like a bunny’s nose.” As soon as the words left her mouth, she knew she’d made a mistake.


At hearing the cursed word, Anya’s eyes widened to an impossibly large size and she turned towards Willow so quickly that the redhead jerked back from her, and the look on the ex demon’s face. “What!?!” Anya asked horrified. “Gods below! What’s wrong with you? How could you say that? Why would you say that?” She turned a panic stricken face to her fiance. “Why would she say that?”


“Ahn honey,” Xander began, trying to calm her. “She didn’t mean-”


“She so did!” Anya cut him off and then turned back to Willow. “You so did.” She accused, pointing at the witch. “Everyone knows how I feel about the little fluffers.” Almost all occupants of the room cringed from the level of hatred/disgust that Anya’s voice held, save Spike, who just leaned against the wall with an amused look on his face.


Willow was very quick to try and redeem herself. “Oh Goddess! Anya, really, I didn’t mean… I wasn’t thinking… I would never…” She stopped speaking when she realized that none of her sentences had endings. She looked Anya in the eyes, all previous levity completely gone. “I’m so sorry. I swear.”


Anya kept the stern look on her face, in spite of Willow’s passionate apology, and just stared at the red faced witch.


When Xander noticed that the situation would probably remain a stalemate between the two, he nudged Anya’s arm. “See? She didn’t mean it.”


Anya rolled her eyes and exhaled in a huff. “Fine!” She finally relented. “I accept your apology Willow.” Willow sighed in obvious relief, only to straighten back up when the hard expression returned to Anya’s face. “Just don’t do it again!”


Willow shook her head rapidly, “No, ‘course not.”


Ever!


Willow changed the direction her head had been moving and nodded. “Promise.”


“Good.” Anya nodded once with finality.


Everyone in the room, apart from Spike and Anya, let out breaths they hadn’t realized they’d been holding. But it wasn’t to be. All of the tension that had left the room returned more quickly than when it left.


Anya was settling down on the floor with Xander, seemingly placated for the moment, when she turned to him and let out a screech that would have put a banshee to shame. She jumped up from her spot on the floor and sprinted into the bathroom, but not before belting out, “I can’t even look at you right now!” And with that, she slammed the door shut.


Xander got off of the floor and walked to the bathroom door. He tried to open it, only to find it locked. “Ahn…”


“Go away Xander!” Was the muffled response through the door.


He turned to the rest of the group with a beseeching look. They all turned away quickly with guilty looks, again - save Spike, who just watched the goings on with a smile on his face.


Xander knocked on the door, “Ahn, honey, please lemme in?”


“No.” She answered shortly.


Xander leaned his back against the door, and slid down to the floor. “Crap.” He shut his eyes for a moment, and then suddenly jerked them open, staring at the group before him. In all seriousness and with complete sincerity, he said, “Ya know, they should put a smiley face sticker, or something, on those stupid glass doors.”


“What are you on about Whelp?” Spike asked with his eyebrow arched in amusement and curiosity.


“Well, they should!” Xander stated vehemently. When everyone continued to look at him as if he had just hopped aboard the crazy train, he continued. “What? What’s with the faces? I’m serious.” He gestured to the balcony door. “It’s all clean and with the see through-y-ness. They shouldn’t make ‘em so clean, it’s a safety hazard. And just wrong.”


“Oh yeah, of course Xander.” Willow agreed patronizingly. “I totally agree with you. Clean glass is definitely of the bad.”


“Uh-huh.” Dawn agreed, nodding animatedly. “We should tell the management.”


Buffy decided to offer her two cents. “Ooh! Maybe we should start a petition or something.” She said sharing a conspiratorial smile with the others. “Ya know? Send it to the Governor or someone.”


“Ha ha! You guys are hilarious.” Xander stated, his voice thick with sarcasm.


Giles spoke, ignoring Xander. “Yes, capital plan that. Then we could send it to Congress, so that it is enforced in every state.” When everyone looked at him with varying looks of shock on their faces, he became defensive. “What? I am capable of sarcasm and wit also, you know. Stop looking at me as if I were a Fragwornth demon.”


“No, no. You’re right Giles. We just didn’t think you had it in you is all. You don‘t exactly exhibit those talents that often, ya know?” Buffy said still shocked by her Watcher’s words.


“M-maybe Mr. Giles could even send it to P-Parliament too. So it’s not only a regulation in the States. I’m sure too clean glass is a problem elsewhere in the w-world too.” Tara added in a small voice. When she noticed everyone looking at her, except Xander, with smiles she continued. “You know, something like, ‘By orders of the heads of state, it is hereto mandatory that all establishments providing accommodations to any person, must place ‘smiley faces’ on all glass doors to prevent any persons from haphazardly inflicting bodily harm to themselves by colliding into said glass.’” She looked down, her hair shielding her face, and stuttered. “O-or s-something like t-that.”


Willow decided to help her girlfriend, so coming out of the stupefied state she’d found herself in as a result of Tara’s bravery, she said, “Oh! And don’t forget the ‘not to be cleaned so pristinely clause’.” Tara looked at Willow with a grateful smile.


“Okay guys, you can stop now!” Xander groused from his spot.


“Oh no. I think we’re on a roll here.” Buffy said adamantly. “Don’t you?” She looked to the others, and they all nodded in agreement.


Spike, who had been silent during the whole exchange, much to the shock of everyone else, spoke up finally. “Oh yeah. We’re on a roll all right. First California, then the whole country, next the whole bloody world!” He exclaimed with a laugh, to which everyone else joined in.


Xander continued to pout and lean his head against the bathroom door. “Ahn, please lemme in! I’m under attack.”


“No!”


Xander’s shoulders slumped, knowing it was a lost cause. He grumbled under his breath as the others continued to spout ideas back and forth.


Anya chose that moment to open the bathroom door, with Xander still leaning on it. He fell back onto the floor and looked at Anya with the most pitiful expression he could muster. She simply returned his gaze, but hers held no sympathy.


Xander noticed the scowl on her face, and knew he would get no help from her. He closed his eyes and surrendered to the onslaught of continued humiliation from the gang and the scorn form his fiancée. “Crap.”*



_____________________________________________________________________________________



It had been a few hours since their arrival in L.A., and the group was finally settled into their rooms. It had been decided that Anya, Xander, Willow, Tara, Buffy, Dawn and Giles would take the bedrooms, and Spike would sleep on the pullout couch in one of the living rooms. He’d been less than thrilled at being told he’d have to sleep on an uncomfortable pullout couch in such a nice hotel, but the idea of sharing a room with Giles made him want to hurl his lunch, so he’d just make do. Anya, on the other hand, had been ecstatic that she and Xander would have a private room, and whispered her happiness to Xander while adding, ‘If we can be quiet, we don’t have to go without orgasms, isn’t it great?’


Once they had settled in, the girls decided to go on a shopping trip and to see the sights. Dawn put up a bit of a fuss because she wanted to swim, but was finally convinced to go along quietly when Buffy said she would buy her something. Xander went along as the chaperone cum bag carrier, while Spike and Giles decided to stay back in the hotel room, Giles burying himself in his books and Spike napping on his couch.


The entire group had decided as a whole, to go to the Hyperion the following day, when no one was tired and cranky from travelling, and they could start the day fresh.


Several hours, and many bags later, the girls and Xander returned to the room exhausted to find the two Brits sitting at the table drinking tea and talking in earnest about some book spread out before them.


After walking through the door and taking notice of the two men, Buffy stopped just short of the couch. Spike drinks tea? Buffy wondered to herself. When did that happen? And with Giles no less. Shaking her head, she placed her bags on the floor and took a seat with Dawn, Willow and Tara on the couch, while Anya and Xander took up residence in the two chairs.


Willow let out a puff of air, “Whew! I’m pooped.”


The other members of the sightseeing/shopping group nodded their heads.


“Pooped times infinity for me.” Xander added. “You guys bought too much stuff, my arms are all sore and achy.”


“I’d come rub them for you, but frankly, I’m too tired to be worried about your comfort right now.” Anya told Xander.


“And we did not buy too much. You can never buy too much. It’s a rule.” Dawn supplied from in between her sister and Willow.


Buffy looked over in the direction of Giles and Spike. “What’ve you guys been up to?” She called out from her spot.


Giles cleared his throat, “Spike has just been educating me on all the things the Council doesn’t want their Watchers or Slayers to know about vampires and other demons.”


“Mmm.” The Slayer nodded. “Sounds like loads of fun.”


“Actually, it was quite interesting. It seems as if there is a quite larger area of grey than we were originally taught.” Giles responded. “According to Spike at least.”


“Well, it’s true!” Spike answered the jab with indignation.


At the word ‘grey’ Buffy perked up, and completely ignoring Spike, focused on Giles. “Yeah? Like, how do you mean?”


No one seemed to notice her sudden interest, except Spike, who had picked up on that, and her increasing heart rate. He looked at her curiously, trying to figure out what it was about Giles statement that caused this reaction.


Giles went into Watcher mode, “Along with the insurmountable number of books housed at the Watcher’s Headquarters that support the argument, decades of families handing down tales of demons has always led us all to believe that demons are inherently evil. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.” He took off his glasses and gave them a good wiping. “But it would appear as if all that was merely propaganda spread throughout the ages to keep the Slayer, and Watchers believing that killing all demons was the right way to go about their Slaying duties.”

“If something is insurmountable, doesn’t that mean that it can’t be overcome? Can’t be disputed?” Willow piped up.


“If you go by the dictionary, then yes. But according to Spike, the dictionary and my piles of books are wrong.” Giles answered the red head.


“So, what you’re saying is that, the Watcher’s Council wants us to believe that all demons are baddies so that we’ll kill them all, even though there are some that are just harmless non-baddies?” The Slayer asked her Watcher.


“That might very well be the case. I‘m of course going to have to research this myself.” Giles answered shooting a look at Spike, who was glaring.


“But… Why? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I know that killings demons is what I do, gotta keep the world safe and all that, but… What you’re saying is that there’s a chance I’ve been killing nice demons all these years?” Buffy asked, her eyes wide and uncertain.


“I think it’s safe to say that during your tenure as guardian of the Hellmouth, the majority of the demons you’ve slain have been evil. How many times have you actually come upon a demon simply going about his business, and just attacked with no cause? There’s always a reason for you to slay.” Giles answered, trying to calm Buffy.



“That’s not completely true Rupert. Even non-evil demons will fight if they feel threatened. It’s like a goose attacking someone for walking within ten feet of her nest. Even the most harmless of demons, like a Kraznut, will fight to the death if she feels her children are in danger.” Spike added, turning to face Giles.


Buffy audibly gasped. “You mean I’ve killed mommies trying to protect their babies? Oh god, I’m a horrible, horrible person.” She said looking down at her hands clasped in her lap.


Giles rolled his eyes and glared at the vampire, “Thanks ever so for that bit of insight Spike.” Turning to Buffy he tried to calm her. “And like I said, there is quite a bit of research that needs to follow this conversation for me to fully believe Spike’s theory.”


“It’s not a theory Watcher. It’s the truth.“ Spike shot back and then shrugged, “’Sides, I’m just being honest with the girl.”


“Well, you’re not helping.” Giles retorted.


Willow placed an arm around her best friend, and in a soothing voice said, “Buffy, you can’t help it if you’ve done that in the past. You’ve always been taught by the Council that all demons are fair game. You had no idea that some might not be completely evil.”


“Well that’s just stupid!” The Slayer exclaimed. “I should have a built-in sense telling me if one is evil or not.”


“Buffy, if it’s true, the Council doesn’t want you to know that. They feel it would somehow impede your ability to slay. That you would start to let demons go because you weren’t sure if they were evil or not.”


“Well, that’s stupid too.” Buffy grumbled from her spot.


“If it makes you feel any better Slayer, most of the demons you encounter on the Hellmouth are bad, that’s why they go there. Big hole of mystical evil energy that it is.” Spike tried to reassure Buffy.


“But, you even said that I could’ve killed a mother trying to protect her children.” She argued with him.


“Only because it was a kill or be killed situation, luv. If you hadn’t done them in, they most definitely would’ve done you in.” He reasoned with her.


“I guess.” She answered crossing her arms.


The conversation changed then to a lighter subject. The Scoobies were intrigued that not all demons were evil, and wanted examples. Even Xander couldn’t help but find himself interested.


Buffy sat, lost in thought, thinking of the implications of what Giles and Spike had told her. It seemed to her that grey was everywhere and pretty soon, she was sure she’d become color blind with all the greyness that had recently entered her life.


Not too long after, Buffy stood and announced that she was going to patrol.


“What about Angel and his whole, ‘this is my city’ thing?” Willow asked her best friend.


“Pfft. I’m the Slayer Will, this whole planet is my turf. If I wanna patrol, I’m gonna.” Buffy answered with her chest puffed out and her head held high. “Besides, I’m too antsy to stay here and do nothing.” She looked to Spike, “Coming?”


The vampire stood without answering and started to follow the Slayer out. A chorus of ‘be careful’s followed the blond duo out the door.


_____________________________________________________________________________________



The patrol turned into just a walk, as Buffy and Spike never once went in search of a cemetery. They simply strolled along the streets of L.A. in a comfortable silence, small chit chat here and there.


They ended up on the beach, sitting side by side on a log, staring off into the ocean.


“So, there’s a big mural of grey out there huh?” Buffy quietly asked after a few moments of silence.


“Yup.” Spike answered.


“How come you never told me?”


Spike turned to face her, “Would you have believed me?”


“Back then?” She shook her head. “No, prob’ly not.”


“Well, there ya go, ‘s why I never told you.” He answered and turned back to the ocean.


“Are you grey?” Buffy asked, her eyes still trained ahead.


“Dunno what I am anymore t’be honest, luv.” Spike replied. He took a deep, unneeded breath, “Ever since falling in love with you, my whole existence has flipped upside down.”


“It’s a good upside down though. Right?” She asked, a hint of nervousness in her voice.


“I think so.” Spike turned to face her, and pulled her face around with his left hand. Looking into her eyes, he asked. “You tell me luv. Is it a good upside down?”


She let out a breathy ‘yes’ and moved her face closer to his, unconsciously shutting her eyes.


Their lips barely ghosted across each other, but it was enough to send a spark of electricity through the both of them. Pulling back after only a second or two, Buffy turned away, her face burning, while Spike stared at her in wonder.


Realizing that it wasn’t going to happen again, or be discussed, Spike turned back to stare at the midnight water. He did, however, take comfort in the fact that Buffy was obviously affected by their short lived kiss, if the heat emanating off of her body was anything to go by.


After another moment or two of silence, Buffy spoke again.


“Ya know that whole, me keeping things from everyone vibe you’ve been getting?” She felt him nod, though how she wasn’t sure, and continued. “Well, I have been keeping some stuff from everyone, but I’ve decided to spill it all. I can’t take the secrets anymore.”


“When’s this gonna happen then?” Spike asked, trying to keep an air of nonchalance about him.


“As soon as we get back to the room.” She answered.


Spike stood, “Right then, let’s be off.”


Buffy looked at him with wide eyes, “What? I didn’t say right now.”


“No time like the present. C’mon, off that pretty arse of yours.”


In spite of the nervousness she felt at the impending conversation, she couldn’t help but be a little elated at Spike’s compliment. She took his proffered hand and stood.


They made their way back to the hotel, each lost in their thoughts. Spike’s were all about the new information Buffy was going to be sharing and what it might be. Buffy’s thoughts were centered on how to say what needed to be said.


Tbc…





Author’s note- I know some people are going to find that the scene with Xander hitting the window and all that followed a bit insensitive. I assure you, I did not mean it that way. I just wanted to show the group dynamic, Spike and Giles leaning on each other, Spike insulting Xander, but without Xander taking a huge offense to it, etc. I wanted to show that Spike has indeed become a part of the Scoobies, and let’s face it. As much as Xander has made fun of him over the years, it’s not really all that unfair is it? If it had been Spike that had hit it, it would’ve been the same reaction, yes? So, please don’t take offense to anything written. I know it’s a long scene, but it involves everyone, so it was bound to be a bit on the long side. And yes, Anya ran off to the bathroom because every time she looked at Xander’s pink nose, she thought of bunnies.

please, please, PLEEEEASE review!
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=11078